PDA

View Full Version : Realistically speaking, how will Kim and Venus go at the USO? Will they even play??

rimon
Aug 15th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I hope that they are both able to play, and if they do, I still think that they will go well, despite their lack of practice. Kim won in 2009 without barely playing for 2 years! Venus easily made the semis last year without having played since Wimbledon. Their match last year was of such high quality (not including the tie break), with some absolutely amazing shots.

vixter
Aug 15th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Yes it was a bit unfortunate that Venus wasn't able to keep her high quality going all the way through it.
Venus and Kim are impossible to predict for this event. They could lose 1st round and they could go all the way and win. But to me it would be a big surprise if either of them contested for the final. I think both will play though.

pattyclijsters
Aug 15th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Kim won in 2009 without barely playing for 2 years!

But this year she is constantly injured/seems not to be focused :-/ in 2009 there was much more joy to see in her game...

i see her reaching the 3rd or 4th round though... at least.

new-york
Aug 15th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Kim will surely play some ugly tennis but it's her turf so i won't count her out.

Venus made it to the SF last year having only played the slams.
Add Eastbourne this year and her season kinda looks the same. Oh, minus RG. :tape:

Oh my, i can't wait for the open to begin. :hearts:

Break My Rapture
Aug 15th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Kimothy is in doubt to be ready in time, but I don't think she will defend her title anyway.
Not sure about Vinas, depends on how she does in New Haven I guess.

manu
Aug 15th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I'm not even sure Kim will be able to play. She tore her abdominal muscle because of a new service motion. After a mere 3 weeks of 99% practicing, she already had a tear. She will probably heal in 2 more weeks, right before the open. But as soon as she starts serving, she'll have to use the tired muscle again, which will have weakened because she won't have used it for 3 weeks. Kim's prospects for the Open are not looking good at all.

J4m3ka
Aug 15th, 2011, 02:04 PM
With Venus it depends on her health, her draw & her rust. Last year she did not play from Wimbledon -> USO and was close to beating Clijsters. Granted, she had a kind draw where she played all her pigeons which probably won't be the case this year. Then again, there is only a select group of elite players who have managed to defeat her at the USO.

I think Clijsters will withdraw. Either that, or lose to an in-form player in the second week. She seems to be constantly injured and looks ready to retire again.

danieln1
Aug 15th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I really want Venus to recover and go deep at the Open..... If she fails I dont think she'll play anymore this season.

Fiona, I couldn't care less, if she enters and then fucks up her part of the draw, it's better that she doesnt even enter so the draw wont get messy.

Smitten
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Venus R2. Clijsters SF or better.

KBdoubleu
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Kim will surely play some ugly tennis but it's her turf so i won't count her out.

Venus made it to the SF last year having only played the slams.
Add Eastbourne this year and her season kinda looks the same. Oh, minus RG. :tape:

Oh my, i can't wait for the open to begin. :hearts:

Venus was having an extremely solid season until surprise losses to Petrova and Pironkova at the FO and Wimbledon. She won Dubai and Acapulco and reached the finals of Miami and Madrid. She was ranked number 1 in the race pretty deep into the season. This year and last year aren't really comparable.

doomsday
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:19 PM
They're both going to play ........................... an ugly tennis.

MB.
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Venus won't make the 4th round.

Kim is a giant question mark--might withdraw, might lose R2, or could go all the way (crazier things have happened).

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Venus will start pulling on her hip around the 2nd or 3rd round or so. Kim will go far, 4th round or QF at least.

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:38 PM
They're both going to play ........................... an ugly tennis.

the question is how far will venus and kim will go @ US Open not What is Sharapova's style of play. :lol:

dsanders06
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Venus was having an extremely solid season until surprise losses to Petrova and Pironkova at the FO and Wimbledon. She won Dubai and Acapulco and reached the finals of Miami and Madrid. She was ranked number 1 in the race pretty deep into the season. This year and last year aren't really comparable.

Exactly, I don't get why people keep comparing her lack of preparation for the US Open this year to last year - last year, she'd played a ton of matches in the early part of the season and still had match-fitness left over from that.

Assuming Venus will be unseeded and thus will meet a seed in the first two rounds, it's hard to picture her beating any of the seeds... maybe Goerges at a push. Pennetta is slumping badly, but she seems to be in Venus's head, so she'd probably beat her. Other than that, is there any seed Venus would be favoured to beat at the US Open without preparation, seeing as she was at a barely top 20 level on her best surface a couple of months ago?

Kim is a complete wildcard. It looks like she could withdraw altogether. If she does play it, her usual since her comeback has either been that she's terrible and bombs out in the first few rounds, or manages to go all the way. So I'd say similar here - if she survives the first few rounds and gets into her stride, she would be the favourite seeing as noone can beat her on fast hardcourts when she's at her best... though if she is planning to play, I'd like to see her play New Haven, because she really needs the match practice.

doomsday
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:57 PM
the question is how far will venus and kim will go @ US Open not What is Sharapova's style of play. :lol:

I can see you happy Serena is winning again.

HRHoliviasmith
Aug 15th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I can see you happy Serena is winning again.

And that's why you're losing your mind. :awww:

doomsday
Aug 15th, 2011, 05:25 PM
And that's why you're losing your mind. :awww:

By losing my mind you mean congratulate her when she wins :lol: you're crazy.

VishaalMaria
Aug 15th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Kim QF.

Venus....

Vlover
Aug 15th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Venus....
It depends on who she draws especially in the early rounds. If she draws her usual "bitches" then she will be fine but if she draws nemesis like Pironkova and Li Na then lawd have mercy.:sad:

lizchris
Aug 15th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Venus R2. Clijsters SF or better.
With an adominal tear? She'll be fortunate to be able to show up at the US Open.

As bad as Venus has been, she has never lost before the 4th round at her home Slam.

englando08
Aug 15th, 2011, 05:42 PM
If Kim plays, which is really doubtful to me, she could reach the fourth round or quarters. Venus if she plays new haven could make the quarters, if not probably the third fourth round. But this depends on both of their draws.

VishaalMaria
Aug 15th, 2011, 05:43 PM
It depends on who she draws especially in the early rounds. If she draws her usual "bitches" then she will be fine but if she draws nemesis like Pironkova and Li Na then lawd have mercy.:sad:

I just don't know.

Vlover
Aug 15th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I just don't know.
Of course no one knows, just like last year but she made the semis and could have made the final if not for a terrible tie break.:sad: Venus just keeps us guessing as usual.:tape:

slydevil6142
Aug 15th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Exactly, I don't get why people keep comparing her lack of preparation for the US Open this year to last year - last year, she'd played a ton of matches in the early part of the season and still had match-fitness left over from that.

Assuming Venus will be unseeded and thus will meet a seed in the first two rounds, it's hard to picture her beating any of the seeds... maybe Goerges at a push. Pennetta is slumping badly, but she seems to be in Venus's head, so she'd probably beat her. Other than that, is there any seed Venus would be favoured to beat at the US Open without preparation, seeing as she was at a barely top 20 level on her best surface a couple of months ago?

Kim is a complete wildcard. It looks like she could withdraw altogether. If she does play it, her usual since her comeback has either been that she's terrible and bombs out in the first few rounds, or manages to go all the way. So I'd say similar here - if she survives the first few rounds and gets into her stride, she would be the favourite seeing as noone can beat her on fast hardcourts when she's at her best... though if she is planning to play, I'd like to see her play New Haven, because she really needs the match practice.

Im not disagreeing that this US Open is going to be tough for Venus but your statement about her not beating any seeds is just silly. Venus is more than capable of taking out most of the top ten (with the exception of Kim but is she even going to play? maybe Na). It might actually be a good thing that Venus wont be seeded as her draw will be harder.Venus plays based on her oppenents level so it may serve to assist her only time will tell.

The Witch-king
Aug 15th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I hate to break up all this invaluable fortune telling but what's the latest on Venus and New Haven?

tennisbum79
Aug 15th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I hate to break up all this invaluable fortune telling but what's the latest on Venus and New Haven?
There have only been rumors of Venus going to New Haven as a WC, we have yet to hear any confirmation from Venus herself.

For now, I am assuming she won't be there.

BluSthil
Aug 15th, 2011, 06:07 PM
They are both 'warm toast' right now. Even if they both play, I wouldn't expect too much. A couple or 3 wins up front, and then exit. Next year will be both their 'swan songs'...

The Witch-king
Aug 15th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks but we never hear anything from Venus anyway :shrug:

tennisbum79
Aug 15th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Venus was in Ohio, site of current WTA tournament, to fulfill prior obligation on behalf of the WTA, this interview took place there

She said her next event is USO.

The interview was conducted yesterday, 08/14/2011

At this point. if the rumors were true, she would have gotten the WC invitation already.
She made no mention of that.

Venus aims to return at US Open

MASON, Ohio -- Venus Williams withdrew from the Western & Southern Open Friday because of a viral illness diagnosed a week ago, but she visited the Lindner Family Tennis Center Sunday to fulfill Women's Tennis Association obligations. After signing autographs for 300-plus youths, the No. 34-ranked player in the world sat down for a quick interview.

Question: How are you doing, health-wise?
Answer: I'm just hanging in there and doing my best to get ready for my next event.
Q: Which is ...
A: The US Open (play begins Aug. 29).

Q: So you will be playing that?
A: Yeah, I have plans on playing.

Q: When did you start to feel ill, at the Rogers Cup (last week)?
A: Obviously I just wasn't feeling well enough to play and I realized I wasn't ready to compete at the professional level. And the same goes for here.

Q: It must be tough not being able to compete when you want to.
A: It's not ideal and it's not part of my plan. The hardest part is that it's out of my control, so it's frustrating. But I have to stay positive and just try to get ready to play.

Q: How are you recovering from the viral illness?
A: The usual - fluids, rest, a sensible schedule.

Q: Will you stay in Cincinnati to watch Serena compete?
A: No, I've seen a lot of tennis, and it's best for me to go home and get ready for the next event.

Q: You've said you took online classes during your long injury lay-off earlier this year. What did you study?
A: Interior design. I took 12 credits, so I took a lot of classes. I'm always in school. It's just a little more than usual.

Q: How do you do interior design - via an online course?
A: You have to learn to photograph and scan. It's a lot of work.

Q: And you do that year-round?
A: I transferred to business school, actually.

Q: You're pretty busy. How do you have time to do everything?
A: I don't know (laughter). Maybe that's why I'm sick.

Source: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110814/SPT/108150327/Venus-aims-return-US-Open?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CSports%7Cs

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 15th, 2011, 06:21 PM

:lol:

tennisbum79
Aug 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM
They are both 'warm toast' right now. Even if they both play, I wouldn't expect too much. A couple or 3 wins up front, and then exit. Next year will be both their 'swan songs'...
I think these 2 are leaving the tour after 2012.

doomsday
Aug 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM
:lol:

That wasn't funny.

The Witch-king
Aug 15th, 2011, 06:54 PM
That wasn't funny.

I laughted :tape:

doomsday
Aug 15th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I laughted :tape:

Let me guess you a re(e)tard :rolleyes:

Fighterpova
Aug 15th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Kim will lose in the final to Serena.
Venus will reach R3/R4.

Adaora
Aug 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Assuming they both play the US Open without a warmup event, I actually think Venus will fare better than Kim mainly because she is used to playing grand slams without warm ups.

VishaalMaria
Aug 15th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Let me guess you a re(e)tard :rolleyes:

And you're a pressed Maria fan?

Halepsova
Aug 15th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Venus won't play, I'm sure.

Annie.
Aug 15th, 2011, 09:04 PM

:oh:

tennisbum79
Venus won't play, I'm sure.
Well, she said she is preparing for USO

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=20058427&postcount=30

HRHoliviasmith
And you're a pressed Maria fan?

ding ding ding ding ding