PDA

View Full Version : Why is the kick serve MIA in the women's game????

smarties
Aug 15th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I was wondering this, why almost no women have a second serve kick serve :confused: The only players I've seen who can consistently hit a kick serve are Sam Stosur and Johanna Larsson!!! Serena can hit one but not consistently. Back in the days, Sandrine Testud had a mean kick serve also. But is it a physical thing? a mental thing? lack of practice?

Pops Maellard
Aug 15th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Slice FTW.

SoBizarre
Aug 15th, 2011, 11:46 AM
(...)But is it a physical thing?(...)

I thing it is. It supposedly puts a grater strain on your body. Here is some explanation:

qfwJqFaBEVs&NR=1

AYUMI-GOAT
Aug 15th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Doesnt Goerges?

toxina90
Aug 15th, 2011, 12:02 PM
F1684Cx3tuk

vixter
Aug 15th, 2011, 12:06 PM
For sure the girls are physically strong enough for doing it consistently and good. But maybe when they were younger they weren't, so they never really practised kick serve. That would make it harder to 'pick up' when your older. I think it comes down to lack of practise. Girls tend to be weaker in the service department and stronger in the groundstroke department.

smarties
Aug 15th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I thing it is. It supposedly puts a grater strain on your body. Here is some explanation:

qfwJqFaBEVs&NR=1

Great vid (BTW it will help my game...) That would explain why Stosur who has greater upper body strength than most women on tour can kick serve so effectively.

Slutiana
Aug 15th, 2011, 12:27 PM
For sure the girls are physically strong enough for doing it consistently and good. But maybe when they were younger they weren't, so they never really practised kick serve. That would make it harder to 'pick up' when your older. I think it comes down to lack of practise. Girls tend to be weaker in the service department and stronger in the groundstroke department.
They's strong enough to do it, but most of their kick serves would probably be powderpuffs even worse than what they do now. There's a reason why the best kick serves in the game are from two of the strongest players in the world, and Goerges too. Larsson's kick serve is okay but not great and Polona's is much smoother topspin rather than having vigorous spin on it.

BlueTrees
Aug 15th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Safina, Stosur and Serena all have kick second serves.

bandabou
Aug 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM
remember the ' 07 miami final..it was all kick serve by Serena...Juju had to hit some balls almost above her head sometimes.

new-york
Aug 15th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Slice is trickier than light spin.

You gotta be able to make it BOUNCE and few players can execute that effective down and up. :oh:

Corswandt
Aug 15th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I was wondering this, why almost no women have a second serve kick serve :confused: The only players I've seen who can consistently hit a kick serve are Sam Stosur and Johanna Larsson!!! Serena can hit one but not consistently. Back in the days, Sandrine Testud had a mean kick serve also. But is it a physical thing? a mental thing? lack of practice?

Johanna Jenny is peculiar in that she doesn't hit flat serves, only kick or slice, and will kick her serve in even on 1st serves.

Best kicker before Stosur's second career (so to speak) was probably Molik's.

As for Polonia Hertzog, mentioned by other TFers, her kick serve is devastating due to her being so fucking awesome at everything, from her BH to her hairstyle.

Sammo
Aug 15th, 2011, 03:42 PM
They should ask Stosur for help :o

2Black
Aug 15th, 2011, 03:45 PM
In the Toronto final yesterday, ESPN put up a graphic showing how Serena's kick serve was actually higher than Sam's.

Mina Vagante
Aug 15th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Serena can most definitely hit a top spin serve and does so most of the time on the ad court 2nd serve.

Smitten
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Topspin does not equate to kick here. Serena hasn't used a true kicking serve since 2000.

The Witch-king
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I must be blind because ALL of them can and do hit kick serves regularly. They're just not as effective as you would expect, particularly if you watch ATP tennis a lot.

DefyingGravity
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:22 PM
A lot of them don't have the upper body and core strength to do one. It also takes a willingness to go for the kick serve in matches, because it's a stroke that begs to have confidence behind it for it to work properly. You really have to hit it with about the same force as you would a first serve, but your putting that energy into the spin more than the pace.

Smitten
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I must be blind because ALL of them can and do hit kick serves regularly. They're just not as effective as you would expect, particularly if you watch ATP tennis a lot.

Who besides the already mentioned players? Maybe you could say Kuznetsova-ish especially a few years ago.

Ivanovic2008
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:44 PM
More like why is the serve MIA?