JJ..........No Slams and now in decline

Dinara......No slams and now gone

Woz ......No slams and in turmoil and declining

It seems Serena has made No 1 a very hot seat for

the Slamless.

goldenlox
Aug 15th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Caro might be in turmoil, but she has 9900 to 7000 lead over #2
Kim is holding 2 majors and going for a USO threepeat.
But this year 3 different players have slams & a 4th is #1 all year but 1 week.

rjd1111
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:27 AM

Of course you are correct. If Kim makes No 1 she will not feel

the pressure. She is an established multi-slam winner.I was

speaking of the slamless 1's.

Yes, Caro has a big lead, but she has a lot of points to defend,

if her troubles continue they'll start to fall off rapidly.

Frankie, Petra, and Li each have a slam but they are not No 1 yet.

I don't think Frankie will make it. Li is getting older and hasn't

had great results lately. Petra is a good candidate and is in a

wait and see mode. I hope her early and easy dismissal in Toronto

was just a fluke.

Jimmie48
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Wow... this is the first time this point is ever raised here... :facepalm:

If Caro is in turmoil I bet that pretty much all other pro players would love to be in turmoil as well...

justineheninfan
Aug 15th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Serena seems much more dedicated to the regular tour since returning. If that is the case she will probably put the #1 ranking under lock and key (once she has played enough to get there) for the next 2 or 3 years anyway. Unless someone like Kvitova, a legitimate star who will actually win slams, also gets there. The slamless #1 phase is about to end IMO. Wozniacki will lose it soon and wont make it back until/unless she develops a game to win the major titles with.

rjd1111
Aug 15th, 2011, 06:16 AM

If Caro is in turmoil I bet that pretty much all other pro players would love to be in turmoil as well...

I don't think many players want to be in Sunshines's shoes right now

Novichok
Aug 15th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I don't think many players want to be in Sunshines's shoes right now

I'm sure lots of players would want to be in Caroline's shoes.

Londoner
Aug 15th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I'm sure lots of players would want to be in Caroline's shoes.

I'd rather be a player who doesn't have the pressure of being a laughing stock number 1. They can enjoy titles and winning a slam. Caroline has GOT to win titles and MUST win a slam to retain any modicum of credibility. For other players the only way is up, for Caroline the onlly way is down.

goldenlox
Aug 15th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I would rather be #1 in the rankings, #2 in the Forbes list, & just turned 21, than almost any other situation.

bandabou
Aug 15th, 2011, 11:33 AM
:lol: the ONLY credible no.1 since Serena was Juju...or Momo perhaps. For the rest, all came and crashed.
And Caro remains to be seen....losing to Vinci on HC's though...:scared: :unsure:

JJ Expres
Aug 15th, 2011, 11:48 AM
can some1 explain me what's the point of this thread cause i clearly don't get it :scared:

Apoleb
Aug 15th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I hope Vika doesn't get there, for her sake. She has done nothing to deserve being humiliated as a one-time slam SF #1.

goldenlox
Aug 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
can some1 explain me what's the point of this thread cause i clearly don't get it :scared:It looks like a thread for trolls to pretend that getting to #1 is a bad thing.
Better to lose early :lol:

KournikovaFan91
Aug 15th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I hope Vika doesn't get there, for her sake. She has done nothing to deserve being humiliated as a one-time slam SF #1.

Agree, I want her to win a slam before becoming number 1.

tejmeglekvár
Aug 15th, 2011, 01:35 PM
#5454866 thread about this. who the fuck cares?

I'm happy that my fave got #1 place.

hablo
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I would rather be #1 in the rankings, #2 in the Forbes list, & just turned 21, than almost any other situation.

corrected: with a slam. :shrug:

Dave.
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:25 AM
:lol: the ONLY credible no.1 since Serena was Juju...or Momo perhaps. For the rest, all came and crashed.
And Caro remains to be seen....losing to Vinci on HC's though...:scared: :unsure:

Serena was a pretty credible no.1 when she held it between 08-10.

bandabou
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:30 AM
It looks like a thread for trolls to pretend that getting to #1 is a bad thing.
Better to lose early :lol:

The consistency is there...now she needs to start reaching finals at the majors and/or avoiding losses before the QF's to players like Hantuchova and Cibulkova on surfaces that ain't even their best surfaces.

bandabou
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Serena was a pretty credible no.1 when she held it between 08-10.

;)

sammy01
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:43 AM
JJ..........No Slams and now in decline

Dinara......No slams and now gone

Woz ......No slams and in turmoil and declining

It seems Serena has made No 1 a very hot seat for

the Slamless.

shit like this is why people hate serena fans, what on earth does these players slumping after being number 1 have to do with serena????? :help:

FYI henin retired in 2008 leaving jj the chance to gain number 1 and then all these after, maybe henin made it the hot seat, but meh that wouldn't be worthy of making a thread that doesn't big up serena :kiss:

Mike81
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:46 AM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263900_2007552783168_1074143435_2208600_7076234_n. jpg

Caro :kiss:

LUVMIRZA
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:55 AM
shit like this is why people hate serena fans, what on earth does these players slumping after being number 1 have to do with serena????? :help:

FYI henin retired in 2008 leaving jj the chance to gain number 1 and then all these after, maybe henin made it the hot seat, but meh that wouldn't be worthy of making a thread that doesn't big up serena :kiss:

:worship::worship:

rjd1111
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:30 AM

McHale loves it and proves my point.

Jimmie48
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:33 AM
McHale loves it and proves my point.

It's still idiotic, she's still much better off than most other players. Losing two 2R games surely sucks but it sucks just a little bit less if you´re thousands of points ahead in the rankings.

rjd1111
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:45 AM

Because the biggest question asked by the media to JJ, Dinara,and at

the beginning of Caro's reign was about them being No 1 when Serena

was winning Slams and was clearly the best player. At first they played

it off but in the end it got to all of them.

I have a lot of those articles and none of them mention Henin.

Patrick345
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Because the biggest question asked by the media to JJ, Dinara,and at

the beginning of Caro's reign was about them being No 1 when Serena

was winning Slams and was clearly the best player. At first they played

it off but in the end it got to all of them.

Oh please. That angle is so overplayed.

If anything it screwed with Dinara´s head in Slam finals, since she knew ONE MORE WIN would totally validate her ranking position. Her decline though was solely due to her back-injury.

Jankovic tried to bulk up in the off-season and it messed up her whole game. In a way the critics got to her, as she tried to change her natural game and it hurt her.

Now the same might happen to Wozniacki, but...

FOR TWO YEARS her critics/haters claim Wozniacki has the weakest game of all #1´s in history, so when she drops from #1 isn´t that UH NORMAL.

WTF, people? You can´t have it both ways. Why should her rankings decline be MENTAL, when for two years the same people claimed her GAME is just not good enough to be #1.

justineheninfan
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:04 AM
I think Dinara, Wozniacki, and to a lesser degree Jankovic and Ivanovic, were all way in over their heads to be #1. None of them have the game, talent, or mentality to be equipped for such a position, or atleast were not far enough into their own developments yet to be ready. That led to the self destruction of the previous ones. I dont think it had to do with Serena, Henin, or any of the many greater players of their era, it was each players own situation. Those players arent considered by far the 4 weakest #1s in the entire history of womens tennis because of Serena. They would be considered that if they got there in any era (although only in this era with the best players either playing part time, retired, or oft injured, and the overall weak womens field of late, would they be anywhere near #1 in the first place).

Wozniack is a unique case in that I am not sure she is even self destructing. She just doesnt have any offensive weapons, and others are onto her game. Those others were good enough they should have atleast stayed in the top 10 had they not collapsed mentally. Wozniacki can legitimately go into a free fall based on her very beatable game, and others finding the right way to play her, on its own, with no implosion required.

So Disrespectful
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:17 AM
If winning slams was a prerequisite for number 1, we wouldn't have this problem.

Reptilia
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:21 AM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263900_2007552783168_1074143435_2208600_7076234_n. jpg

Caro :kiss:

You're so talented. :worship:

RenaSlam.
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:23 AM

Just wait til the fall. Her lead will evaporate at this rate. :bounce:

DefyingGravity
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:50 AM
If winning slams was a prerequisite for number 1, we wouldn't have this problem.

But then Ana still would have been #1 with her Roland Garros title in 2008, which all of her detractors just love to forget when they call her the weakest #1. She still made 3 slams finals to get there, won tour titles more regularly, AND won that slam

Serena did reclaim #1 after her USO win for like...a week or two, and then Jelena turned it on for that part of the season, and then Jelena just got stupid and bulked up and then lost her way with her thought process. I'm hoping this break gets her back on the right track, she looked good in her win over Benesova, but Zheng really pushed her today.

Dinara's case is more unfair because she really did crack under pressure AND suffered essentially a career ending injury with her back. There's no way to bounce back from that.

Caroline better get a tougher skin if she's getting bothered by the talk. She and her fans just need to remember that she is very young and very successful for her age. Sure she didn't win a slam by age 20 like Sharapova and Ivanovic and Serena, but she could be a Kim Clijsters, Li Na, and Francesca Schiavone and win later in her career. And she could pull a Mauresmo and finally use the "when will she win one" talk to finally spur her on. Don't let a forum of people get you so hot and bothered so easy. Her prime years are yet to come.

dsanders06
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:59 AM

She's not going to be high up on the Forbes list for much longer the way things are going, that's for sure. The big sponsors she currently has aren't going to want to be associated with someone who doesn't look like she's ever going to make it to a primetime match on the big stage ever again.

dsanders06
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Jankovic tried to bulk up in the off-season and it messed up her whole game. In a way the critics got to her, as she tried to change her natural game and it hurt her.

Not to mention Jankovic posted solid top 10 results for a good two years after she lost the #1 spot. There's nothing to say her slow decline isn't commensurate with the gradual, natural deteriation of her footspeed, which is the bedrock of her game, rather than her being mentally destroyed...

Although she probably could and should've won RG at some point, had it not been for her mental brittleness.

So Disrespectful
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:21 AM
But then Ana still would have been #1 with her Roland Garros title in 2008, which all of her detractors just love to forget when they call her the weakest #1. She still made 3 slams finals to get there, won tour titles more regularly, AND won that slam

And that would have been an isolated case. Instead we have 3 examples of slamless number ones who completely fell off after achieving the number 1 ranking.

madlove
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Woz is the least deserving #1 player ever - even Safina was a better #1.

justineheninfan
Aug 18th, 2011, 06:24 AM
But then Ana still would have been #1 with her Roland Garros title in 2008, which all of her detractors just love to forget when they call her the weakest #1.

Nobody sane should call Ivanovic the weakest #1. She is far and away a better #1 than any of Safina, Jankovic, or Wozniacki. She won a slam and had lost a competitive final in the slam before that at the time she became #1.

justineheninfan
Aug 18th, 2011, 06:29 AM

Sharapova wasnt a bad #1 during the blips she held it in 05 and 07. From July 04- January 08 she won 3 slams, a WTA Championships, and regularly contended making many other semis or better. Only Henin had more success overall in that time frame.

Clijsters also wasnt too bad a #1. She got it for a bit early in 06 based on an excellent 05 season where she dominated on hard courts, winning U.S Open, Miami, and nearly every other hard court event she was in. Also while she didnt win a slam in 2003 she did make the finals or semis of all 4, won many tier 1 titles, was reigning holder of the WTA Championships title, and was a formidable force at all times just lacking the mental toughness of Henin, Serena, and Venus to get through those biggest matches.

2008 was the start of the weak #1 syndrome with first Ivanovic to a degree, and then gradually got worse with Jankovic, Safina, and now the ultimate low point with Wozniacki.

bandabou
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Sharapova wasnt a bad #1 during the blips she held it in 05 and 07. From July 04- January 08 she won 3 slams, a WTA Championships, and regularly contended making many other semis or better. Only Henin had more success overall in that time frame.

Clijsters also wasnt too bad a #1. She got it for a bit early in 06 based on an excellent 05 season where she dominated on hard courts, winning U.S Open, Miami, and nearly every other hard court event she was in. Also while she didnt win a slam in 2003 she did make the finals or semis of all 4, won many tier 1 titles, was reigning holder of the WTA Championships title, and was a formidable force at all times just lacking the mental toughness of Henin, Serena, and Venus to get through those biggest matches.

2008 was the start of the weak #1 syndrome with first Ivanovic to a degree, and then gradually got worse with Jankovic, Safina, and now the ultimate low point with Wozniacki.

Yep....2008 was the beginning of the low-point..with Caro the lowest so far. :help:

dsanders06
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Nobody sane should call Ivanovic the weakest #1. She is far and away a better #1 than any of Safina, Jankovic, or Wozniacki. She won a slam and had lost a competitive final in the slam before that at the time she became #1.

I think people call Ivanovic a weak #1 because of her results while she was #1 - I think she bombed out before the quarterfinals at every single tournament while #1. She's also the only example so far where you can clearly trace a sudden deterioration in results to the pressure of being #1 (because Safina had a serious injury, while Jankovic didn't have that much of an immediate downfall at all). But in terms of overall accomplishments, Ivanovic is clearly ahead of Wozniacki and Jankovic... I think Safina is a closer call, but I'd still give Ana the egde.

Vika & Fish
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:19 PM
dont panic, dont panic, this will all change when Vika strikes paydirt

dsanders06
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Yep....2008 was the beginning of the low-point..with Caro the lowest so far. :help:

Honestly, I don't even think Safina deserves to be put in the same bracket as Jankovic and Wozniacki. Safina atleast was phenomenally consistent and was the best BY FAR at non-Slam tournaments while she was #1, and was the second-best performer at Slams behind Serena - Dinara had gone SF-F-F-SF at her last 4 Slams at one point. You compare that to Jankovic, who was never anywhere close to the top of the tree at the Slams and simply got to the top through a murky combination of results and being in the right place at the right time, and Wozniacki is an even greater example of it - she isn't even top 5 in terms of the Slams in the last top 12 months (Clijsters, Li, Kvitova, Sharapova, Zvonareva and arguably even Schiavone are all ahead of her).

justineheninfan
Aug 18th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Honestly, I don't even think Safina deserves to be put in the same bracket as Jankovic and Wozniacki. Safina atleast was phenomenally consistent and was the best BY FAR at non-Slam tournaments while she was #1, and was the second-best performer at Slams behind Serena - Dinara had gone SF-F-F-SF at her last 4 Slams at one point. You compare that to Jankovic, who was never anywhere close to the top of the tree at the Slams and simply got to the top through a murky combination of results and being in the right place at the right time, and Wozniacki is an even greater example of it - she isn't even top 5 in terms of the Slams in the last top 12 months (Clijsters, Li, Kvitova, Sharapova, Zvonareva and arguably even Schiavone are all ahead of her).

You overrate Safina. She was not the best by far outside of slams. She won only 3 tournaments in her best year ever and one of them was Portoroz by beating Sara Errani in 3 sets in the final, her only opponent inside the top 100 that week. In non slam events in her career year she reached #1 , she lost to Razzano in a 1st round (getting only 6 games), then 42nd ranked Stosur in a 2nd round (getting only 5 games), Tanasugarn in a tiny event semifinal, Jie Zheng in a semifinal, Rezai in a 1st round, #132 ranked Chang in a 1st round, #226 ranked Zhang in a 1st round. That is aside from her more respectable non slam defeats to Dementieva in a final, Jankovic in a final (getting only 6 games), Azarenka in a quarterfinal, Kuznetsova in a final. This is also with not playing any matches at the WTA Championships finale (other than a default early in her match with Jankovic.

Safina the second best performer behind Serena at the slams you say. Venus won Wimbledon in 2008, made the final in 2009 after humiliating Safina 6-0, 6-1 in the semis, lost an incredibly tight quarterfinal to eventual winner Serena in the quarters at the 2008 U.S Open (Safina would get only 4 games off Serena next round, one of her easiest matches of the tournament). Kuznetsova won the French with an easy beatdown of Safina in the final, and served for a straight sets win vs eventual winner Serena at the 2009 Australian (the same Serena that Safina would get crushed by). No way would I consider Safina the second best performer over players who actually won a slam during that stretch just because she rode a series of cakewalk draws to being trounced badly in semis and finals, apart from the 2009 French where she did get through a good draw of players.

The only reason anyone thinks Safina is better than Jankovic is because Jankovic ended up in Anas half at the 2008 French instead of in Safinas half (or instead of Safina being in Anas half instead). Otherwise both would have 2 slam finals and nobody would think Safina is better as she has no other edge at all. Jankovic was far more competitive with the best players like the Williams than Safina was. Safina was useless vs all the top players outside of clay (except Jankovic herself who she played even). She never even beat Dementieva on a hard court.

tejmeglekvár
Aug 18th, 2011, 06:36 PM
You overrate Safina. She was not the best by far outside of slams. She won only 3 tournaments in her best year ever and one of them was Portoroz by beating Sara Errani in 3 sets in the final, her only opponent inside the top 100 that week. In non slam events in her career year she reached #1 , she lost to Razzano in a 1st round (getting only 6 games), then 42nd ranked Stosur in a 2nd round (getting only 5 games), Tanasugarn in a tiny event semifinal, Jie Zheng in a semifinal, Rezai in a 1st round, #132 ranked Chang in a 1st round, #226 ranked Zhang in a 1st round. That is aside from her more respectable non slam defeats to Dementieva in a final, Jankovic in a final (getting only 6 games), Azarenka in a quarterfinal, Kuznetsova in a final. This is also with not playing any matches at the WTA Championships finale (other than a default early in her match with Jankovic.

Safina the second best performer behind Serena at the slams you say. Venus won Wimbledon in 2008, made the final in 2009 after humiliating Safina 6-0, 6-1 in the semis, lost an incredibly tight quarterfinal to eventual winner Serena in the quarters at the 2008 U.S Open (Safina would get only 4 games off Serena next round, one of her easiest matches of the tournament). Kuznetsova won the French with an easy beatdown of Safina in the final, and served for a straight sets win vs eventual winner Serena at the 2009 Australian (the same Serena that Safina would get crushed by). No way would I consider Safina the second best performer over players who actually won a slam during that stretch just because she rode a series of cakewalk draws to being trounced badly in semis and finals, apart from the 2009 French where she did get through a good draw of players.

The only reason anyone thinks Safina is better than Jankovic is because Jankovic ended up in Anas half at the 2008 French instead of in Safinas half (or instead of Safina being in Anas half instead). Otherwise both would have 2 slam finals and nobody would think Safina is better as she has no other edge at all. Jankovic was far more competitive with the best players like the Williams than Safina was. Safina was useless vs all the top players outside of clay (except Jankovic herself who she played even). She never even beat Dementieva on a hard court.

you still trying? Should find another hobby. :lol:

what a bright logic here. :weirdo: Why do you so sure Jankovic would have made that final? Safina beat her on hardcourt that summer twice, so if she is even better on clay (as your comment suggests)...
feck, why am i even trying :lol:

but kinda sad (or pathetic) you still cant accept she had back injury since 2009-Cincinnati.