PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Davenport got what she deserved

Cilla
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:39 PM
"Lindsay Davenport got what she deserved in my opinion her attitude was poor"

This was the comment at the end of yesterday's match Vs Monica by one of the Eurosport Commentators. (Jason..something)

Is this a fair assesment? I haven't seen the match, by the time I changed it the match was over.

Cilla
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Another comment

"If I was Lindsay Davenport's coach I would get her to come and have a look at Venus Williams (He's saying this during the 1st set of Venus Vs Patty) Sometimes the players don't like the truth"

selesrules
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:52 PM
I think they are being overdramatic. Monica saved 6 match points against "Serena" last year. Monica has comeback from millions of close battles in her career, are all her opponents Capriati, Serena, Venus, Graf, Navratilova, etc. who lost close matches to her, are they all chokers too????

Serendy Willick
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:53 PM
I dont know about all of that, but Lindsay attitude couldve been a little bit more positive. I mean I could see how she would get frusterated after putting some many groundstokes in the net but when she had break points and match points she was walking around like she was down 6-2, 5-0 or something. I wouldve been getting pumped or showing some teeth or something.

selesrules
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:59 PM
As for attitude, this has been a consistant problem for Lindsay even when she was winning slams. Whenever she's losing or struggling, she gets down on herself. But it's not something new, it's always been like that even when she was no.1!

niratti
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:09 PM
you know what most of the commentators are not as smart as they're trying to be. they have never been to where the player(s) they are criticising is, especially the british commentators.

i.e. Sam Smith of British Eurosport, her title on the TV 'former british no. 1' :rolleyes: her highest ranking was 50s !!!

I only listen when the best (Evert, Wade etc.) comments on the best (Williams, Davenport, Hingis, Seles, etc.)

Sammm
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Monica drew the errors and the frustration out of her.

CC
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Hasn't she always been like this though?

wave
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Nobody deserves to lose after having 7 matchpoints...

Those commentators should try to compete at the highest level before they start making such remarks.:mad:

Lindsay will take a break, regroup herself and will have a strong performance at the AO, I'm sure. Better luck next time and against a different opponent...

And yes I admit that I wrote in the Selestials forum that I was disappointed with the way she played the matchpoints (she wasn't agressive enough) and with the way she lost the last two games to love with lots of unforced errors. But that should be a critical remark and not like many of the rude comments on the board.

miranda_lou
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:35 PM
After Lindsay lost that middle set she acted like she just wanted to get out of there!! But, her attitude has always been her main problem. All her opponent has to do is get ahead and Lindsay slumps her shoulders and walks around like a total loser.:mad: She's really unpleasant to watch.:(

I'm glad Monica won but she doesn't appear to be in particularly great shape but she played very well and moved better than Davenport (which doesn't really take much effort to do).

TSequoia01
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:48 PM
I am aware of Lindsay's negativism but her problem currently is one of stamina. It has been one of stamina since her return. When she is fresh Lindsay dominates. But if you make her run and play she is dead meat. In fact in every second set of any competitive match at some point Lindsay resorts to hitting just one shot. Either it will be in or out. Against Venus in their two matches she disappeared in both second sets. Against Serena at the Open she lost 12 out of the last 13 points. The only point she won was a doublefault by Serena. I could see the anquish on her face.....she was sucking wind. :eek:

per4ever
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by wave
Those commentators should try to compete at the highest level before they start making such remarks.:mad:

this is it...most commentators think they know everything...but unless they were/are tennisplayers on a high level, they don't.

You can't talk about stuff you never experienced yourself. We all can give our opinion..but these men/women do it on tv for millions of people.

harloo
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Lindsay IMO has lost her edge mentally. In a match like this she use to always come through. It seemed like the only players who gave her trouble in the past were the Williams and Martina. Everyone else she would almost always win against.

7 match points is unbelievable to have an lose. Sorry, but this reminds me of when Serena had 6 against Monica and lost. On paper, these players should beat Monica but Monica is the type of player who is seasoned and if you are not sure that you can win she will take advantage. I think she did a good job.

I think that Lindsay is starting to choke big time, and it reminds me of when Serena was struggling on tour to close out matches. Lindsay needs to relax and play her game, or she will continue on this downward spiral.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:27 PM
I'd say 3 of those matchpoints Monica wiped away on her own (good out wide serve, and a couple of winning angles.) For the most part, Lindsay screwed it up. She had the entire court to hit a passing shot and dumped it in the net, and hit careless errors on the other match points. When Monica was up 7-6 in the tiebreak, Lindsay pulled Monica way out wide and had the ENTIRE FUCKING COURT to hit a volley. What does she do? Dump it in the bottom of the net. Lindsay wasn't even trying the last set, especially towards the end. I was pulling for Monica the entire match and I'm so happy she won, but Lindsay really fucked up out there.

Dawn Marie
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Lindsay was a bit frustrating to watch when she kept walking around moaning and groaning even when she made a great point. I thought it appeared a bit worse tonight. Lindsay imho choked, but Monica also played great points while down. The total combination was a Seles victory. Anyway, Lindsay had a long year and will be back next season in full force.