PDA

View Full Version : Venus says nice words about Monica and other interviews

mishar
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Q. Are you surprised with Monica, at her age, the amount of time she's been on the tour?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No. I'm surprised everyone keeps worrying her about it. It's annoying to me and I wonder how annoying it is to her.

Q. Because you feel she can still play at the top five or top ten?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Sure, she is doing that right now.

There were a few other classy comments from Venus.

The full transcript of all the interviews can be read at:

http://www.asapsports.com/tennis/02hdepot.html

AjdeNate!
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Wow, good on ya Venus - very nice touch!

Gallofa
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Good one! :D

I don't normally read Venus' interviews, can any fan of hers tell me if all her interviews are like that? one liners for every answer? is she very quiet? I took a look at the other interviews and everybody else seemed to be more chatty than her?

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Venus is EXTREMELY short with the press, often answering just "no" or "yes" to questions.

selesrules
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the interviews, I really liked this answer from Monica:

Q. Did you do anything special to prepare for this tournament?

MONICA SELES: I have been working hard. I took some weeks off after playing the US Open. I chose not to go to Europe this fall. I have been training hard to be in the best possible shape for this tournament.

This is very encouraging and I'm glad she got rewarded with this huge win. Hopefully she can go all the way but even if she can't, this kind of attitude shows a lot of GREAT promise to Monica for 2003. I PRAY that she stays healthy and doesn't get injured, that way she would have a nice shot at a grandslam. GO MONICA!

CC
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Q. Justine, was your strategy today to play very good defense and let her make the errors?

JUSTINE HENIN: She does the errors. She either makes mistakes or does winners. It's hard to find a break. I had to be careful in my defense. I did. I tried to be aggressive on the return when I could. I don't have any more comments to do about the match. It was a match and I won it in two sets. :D :D

Q. I don't watch a lot of tennis. Why do you wear a watch out there? Are you paid to wear a watch, an endorsement?

JUSTINE HENIN: No.

Q. Why do you wear a watch, a wristwatch?

JUSTINE HENIN: Because I like to wear a watch. I feel good with a watch.

They have nothing else to ask? :p

I think Venus is usually so abrupt when she's not in the most outgoing mood, which is often. But sometimes she relaxes and jokes a lot. She said Goodnight at the end of her interview. Strange girl ... :D

mishar
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:15 PM
I don't feel like quoting it, but there is a very stupid column in the LA Times today about Justine's watch, a basketball writer I would guess writing about how stupid women's tennis is. If someone feels like pulling it out and copying it, I'm sure it would irritate everyone on the board to no end. He makes a big stink about the watch, it turns out she has a deal with Rolex, he struts around in a sexist way and says no one should go to Staples.

RAA
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:44 PM
what kind of STUPID question is that????

honestly, the questions that these tennis players have to put up with sometimes are RIDICULOUS!!! I would be far less polite than most of them are...
Justine should have told the reporter where he/she could have shoved HIS/Her watch !

Pureracket
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Please!!!!! With all the crap and accessories that I see people in "other" professional sports wear, Justine is very conservatively dressed. Let's just be happy for the reporter that Justine was the one who got asked the question. I'm thinking one of the "Big Babes" (LD, Venus,Serena, JenCap) would have answered a little less tactfully than Justine.

slydevil6142
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Doesnt serena also wear a watch?? I recall perhaps it was french or wimbldon that she was looking at her watch for most of the match wondering how fast she could get off the court

CC
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:10 PM
When Serena first came on tour she was wearing two watches! It's a wonder she wasn't stoned to death.

selesrules
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by CC
When Serena first came on tour she was wearing two watches! It's a wonder she wasn't stoned to death.

Maybe Henin is victim of racism!

gourownway
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:29 PM
I took a look at that article in my LA Times this morning. It's a shame they let him print it. It's very sexist if you ask me. He was very proud of the fact that he was able to break Henin down and make her admit that she had a contract with rolex.

T.J. Simers is the writer. He has an e-mail link, I wonder if anyone will comment on the aritcle.

tennisfan1972
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:24 PM
I absolutely love how Venus handles the press. They are so stupid that they dont even realise that she has insulted them and made them look like total idiots. and to top it off, she does it with this nonchalance and indifference as if to let them know how stupid their questions really are. Oh gosh would somebody please dig up some of Serena's and Venus' one liners please. they are too hilarious. Good for you Venus. She put it in Words that im sure seles would have liked to have expressed....that was so funny. ggez to be afly on the wall when she told them that.

anton
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:38 PM
well no wonder this thread is going nowhere. It is saying something nice about Venus. If it were critical, everybody would be awake in the middle of the night posting on it. :)

Anyway, I like Jelena Dokic's answer to a silly question:

"Ask me something that is your business and then I'll answer that."

WtaTour4Ever
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Yeah if it were a negative article there would be 300 responses like some other food related thread. I think that is the case for most threads in here. But in general our society likes drama!!!!

disposablehero
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:36 PM
Maybe if Venus says it they will listen.

Nah.

Poe
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:38 PM

and this person has a job?

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:40 PM
Venus is classy no doubt about it, and that guy in LA times, LOL, he looks like an idoit, I hope he got tonnes of hate mail soon

Dawn Marie
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:47 PM
Interviews such as the one Venus gave is one of the reasons she's my favorite. Tennisfan1972 is spot on!

The interviewer needs one of those.. "runnin' up to yah with palm wide open bitch slaps"! :D

ColinB
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:24 AM
I've been to a lot of press conferences and yes Venus does give one word answsers very often - she is usually very abrupt and difficult in press conferences... Serena used to be worse... I remember her in Sydney 2002 where she was impossible, didnt stop looking down at her desk, muffled her answers and was rude, but she improved later in the year as she started winning...

Anna is difficult in press conferences too for obvious reasons though as she usually gets asked the most stupid questions all the times about her looks etc

Jen is sometimes not great in press conferences, a bit moody and defensive...

Monica reads her answers as if from a script and Justine is also very cagey... neither gives any insight or gives anything away - which is a shame as I like them both...

Even though I am not her biggest fan, the best interviewee is probably Hingis... She takes no notice of what the WTA Media people tell her say, and says whatever she likes... She is also very witty and obviously very intelligent... She can remember stats from years ago too...

Kim is also very friendly in press conferences...

tennisIlove09
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Gallofa
Good one! :D

I don't normally read Venus' interviews, can any fan of hers tell me if all her interviews are like that? one liners for every answer? is she very quiet? I took a look at the other interviews and everybody else seemed to be more chatty than her?

It depends. Venus is normally very reserved. But I find her very honest at times too.

After she beat Serena for the US Open title last year, she said "I would be happier if she beat me"

Not many would say that. I think Venus is more giving then other players. She gives credit where credit is due.

ColinB
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:45 AM
But 'TennisIlove9' you have to remember - how much is that what Venus is meant to say in these circumstances to show family unity and how much is also what the WTA media people are telling her to say... The WTA Media guys go and get each player form the locker room and brief them own what they are meant to say on the way to the press conference...

I am not dissing Venus in particular... I am just a bit more cynical as know how the media game works..

tennisIlove09
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:48 AM
Colin:

I don't think the WTA tells players what to say! That would be wrong!

Although, it would explain some of the weird things Serena, Jen, Martina has said. :rolleyes:

CC
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by ColinB
But 'TennisIlove9' you have to remember - how much is that what Venus is meant to say in these circumstances to show family unity and how much is also what the WTA media people are telling her to say... The WTA Media guys go and get each player form the locker room and brief them own what they are meant to say on the way to the press conference...

I am not dissing Venus in particular... I am just a bit more cynical as know how the media game works..
I think they mainly brief them on issues floating around in the media so that they might be prepared for the questions. For example, when the issue of Title Nine came up, I think the WTA circulated flyers about it to the players. Unfortunately, not everyone read it ...;)

Cassius
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:01 AM
:rolleyes:@This question.
Me and my mates were in town once when we were asked some questions by a woman doing some silly survey, and she noticed that one of my mates was wearing a deep sea divers watch, and she asked:
'Why do you wear one of those?'
She meant why do you wear a deep sea watch, but my mate gave the best possible reply:
'I'm one of those wierd people who likes to know the time'.
With that we walked off, leaving the silly woman completely speechless:D:D:D
It was sooooo funny, we still laugh about it now, 2 years later:D:D:D

With questions like that, you wonder HOW these people got their jobs in the first place.

tennisIlove09
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by CC

I think they mainly brief them on issues floating around in the media so that they might be prepared for the questions. For example, when the issue of Title Nine came up, I think the WTA circulated flyers about it to the players. Unfortunately, not everyone read it ...;)

:wavey: :hearts: :kiss: :bounce: :kiss: :hearts: :wavey:

Thanks Sweetie:angel:

CC
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:05 AM
Hey honey pie!:bounce: :lick: :D

ColinB
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:07 AM
Guys - I;m afraid they do - I have a friend who works in Media in the WTA and have covered a lot of events myself - the WTA act abit like control freaks and brief players about tricky things that look likely to come up in press conferences... All players also get media training... Plus if they are under IMG or similar mgt companies - they have all extensive media training to make sure they are saying the 'right' thing, even if they don't mean it or not - its all about maintaining their image... It's just basic marketing...

anton
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:08 AM
well I dont wear a watch bc there is a clock on my cell phone and PDA and so i have one of these most places. anyway I feel better and more free without that dogcollar strapped to my wrist.

Freefall
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:09 AM
GREAT QUOTES VENUS!! :D :D

Way to outsmart those idiot reporters.

BTW, that guy who can't think of anything better to write about then Justine's watch, is he TRYing to look like a no talent hack or what? Most houseplants can write better then that. :rolleyes:

Roseie
Nov 8th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Well, you are trying to diss Venus. I have read dozens of her interviews & they are great. Since she came on the tour, she has suported her sister. That's one of the reasons I love her, & even if the WTA brief the players, they can't tell them what to say. If they did, all of the players would sound alike.

ColinB
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Ehmmm 'Roseie' - they do all sound alike... You try going to all their press conferences... as much as I love them... they are often like robots in press conferences... which is understandable as they are tennis players and not media relations experts...

I am not trying to Diss Venus... but she is genuinely one of the worst in a press conference situation, along with Jen, Justine and Anna... sorry to spoil your illusion... Not dissing her, just reporting the facts :-)

Dawn Marie
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Whoever said Martina gives intelligent interviews must be smoking crack! LOL

Colin,Venus and Serena both come off as real in their interviews. They both make the people doing the interviewing look like complete asses. It's quite enjoyable to say the least:) Colin.B robots? lol Nah, a Heck Nah.

anton
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:39 AM
waz up dawn! :)

Freefall
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:04 AM
If you want to know who sounds like robots, it's the idiots who ask Monica if she's going to retire 50 times in a two week period. I know there are some good reporters out there but WHY so many broken record, robot, repeating fools?

I think Venus, Dani, Kim, Justine, Monica & everybody are doing GREAT! :)

servenrichie
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:12 AM
orginally posted by selesrules:
Maybe Henin is victim of racism!

Selesrules, if i tell you off, you say i am insulting you, but really tell me in this discussion what warranted this statement. You think racism is a kind of joke for your brain of a 7-year-old?

anton
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:03 AM
I am going to have to agree. Racism i don't think is a joking matter. Would you like it if people starting discussing if Monica is hiding her Serbian roots? and Making Hungarian jokes and Serb ones?

vs1
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:07 AM
It was at this year's Miami (Nasdaq-100) Final against Jenn when Serena looked at her watch once or twice (quite intently). It looked like she had somewhere to go and was trying to get off the court. That's probably why she won the final in two tight sets!

anton
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:16 AM
if Serena is paying $30,000 for a watch, then most likely she is entitled to look at it even now and then, dont you think? :rolleyes:

hingis-seles
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:20 AM
I think I know what Colin means. I agree with him that the WTA do brief the players before press conferences just like they cook up publicity stunts(such as making Monica sit with that actor at the US Open in 1991 and making Martina give Richard the autographed T-Shirt). The WTA do tell players how to speak and what to say in situations which need to be controlled(like when they told Martina to apologize for calling Amelie "half a man" and Martina refused). The players are required to take media relations courses....doubt they actually do!

Roseie
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:31 AM
I don't know what your idea of worst is, but when I read Venus interviews it seems to me that she responds well to the questions. Why is she worst? Is it because she's all business with the reporters. Really, I would like to know what you mean.

hingis-seles
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:35 AM
I thought Venus' comments about Monica were really nice. She even spoke well of Monica after the Australian Open quarterfinal.

hingis-seles
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:41 AM
I thought Venus' comments about Monica were really nice. She even spoke well of Monica after the Australian Open quarterfinal.

lala
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Collin, do you expect the players to spill their heart out to the media? Most half of the time they're asked private question that are no ones business but theirs and the other half, the media is out there trying to create controversy...like

'So and so came in and said this about you and your family... what do you think of her....' blah...blah

So I'm not one bit surprised players say 'the right thing to say'

Williams Rulez
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:46 AM
I just love the way Venus does her interviews! :D

Serendy Willick
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:40 PM
I really dont blame the girls with their cattiness in the media. If you read some of those stupid and disrepectful questions that are most of the times asked to them, I would've responded the same way. BTW, why should these girls care and primp themselves up for the media? This is the same media that will try to tear them down in no time.

Experimentee
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:23 PM
I always enjoy Venus and Serenas interviews!

timmbo
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:35 PM
I agree with Clocker's orginal statement on this one.

ColinB
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:00 PM
Ok guys - I have said several times on this thread - that i am not dissing Venus... I have nothing against her - If u read my original post I also said that Jen, Justine and a few others were equally difficulyt to interview - but I see i am now being attacked by Venus fans...

Yes venus does say nice things - I was at her Aus Open interview after she lost to Monica when she said that she hoped Monica would win the whole event now as that would make a great story...

But I have worked at 6 of the last 8 Grand Slams and covered several other touraments - I have quite a few good friends in the tennis press and when it coms down to press conferences - these guys all agree that Venus and the others above are all difficult to interview - the amount of interviews I have been to when Venus just sits there staring into space, staring at the desk, mumbling and wanting to be anywhere but there..... But I understand that she and others do not like the press - as there are some complete ****'s among the tennis press who will say anything to get a good story...

All I was saying, was that in general some of these guys are not very candid with the press. The WTA try and push them as after all - it is what they say to the press that gets the stories... I'm just saying, don'ty believe all the quotes you read, and so many of them don't come from the players mouth, but the WTA Publicity's people's mouths...

Now please - no more attacking me from Venus fasn - I do like her :-)

hingis-seles
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:07 PM
Thanks for sharing, Colin!

:wavey:

CC
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Ok ok, I'll put the whip away.:p

ColinB
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:53 PM
Thanks guys :-))

o0O0o
Nov 9th, 2002, 01:36 AM
No doubt Martina has the best interviews. She has a better grip on humor than the other girls do, and has that European way of saying what she wants. Sometimes I wonder if she is saying things because something was lost in translation, or if she really meant to be that blunt.