PDA

View Full Version : Poll : What will be the consequences of the (so far) LA public interest desaster

ChrisGermany
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:47 PM
* It´s the WTA - nothing will change 2003.
* They´ll stop day sessions or just concentrate
the doubles in daytime sessions
* They´ll move it within the US
* They´ll move it around the world (like the ATP)
* They´ll move it back to Europe
* They will adopt a Round Robin system of top8

Serendy Willick
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:52 PM
I say wait until the thing is over before you go declaring it an absoulute Bomb. Its only the first day, yes the crowd couldve been jumping a little more, but more did show up for the last two matches.

mishar
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Yes its a little too early to declare it a total disaster, have to see how the weekend goes, that's where most of the ticket sales are. Staples does have a 7 year commitment, I read somewhere, so unlikely they'll change it right away unless it's a disaster a la Munich.

I think they should adopt some of these changes.
-- ENd day sessions (perhaps one session starting at 5PM with doubles)
-- Have a round robin of top 8 like the ATP (perhaps in combo with ATP)
-- move it around the world, or back to madison square garden, where it was very successful

BelgianGirl
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:10 PM
I don't think they will change it again next year.
They should move it to Belgium! :p I'm sure the Belgian people will be there whole day to watch some good tennis! :angel:

earthcrystal
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:55 PM
I have a better idea for a poll.

How many threads will Chris Germany post on this subject?
1) This will be the last one.
2) More than 10 but less than 100
3) This will continue ad nauseum till next November.

RAA
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:59 PM
but sometimes don't you think its much more about corporate sponsorship than selling tix?
I mean, if Home Depot agrees to put lots of cash in, and the WTA gets their big corporate sponsors happy, and maybe ESPN has some decent ratings, I bet that the WTA would declare it a success even if ticket sales are low..
in other sports, corporate sponorship brings in a lot more cash than individual ticket sales.
I'm not saying its right, but from the WTA's perspective, they are looking for big corporate sponsors to headline their events. That is much more critical to them in terms of being able to put on an event than individual ticket sales are.

miranda_lou
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:22 PM
You're right that sponsors pay a lot of money for a tennis tournament but they want to see FULL seats, not empty ones. It's embarrassing for them to have their name associated with a LOSER:o The same for ESPN. I don't care how high the TV ratings end of being, people watching only see empty seats and that's not good.

I have a feeling Home Depot will get on the WTA to maybe lower their prices or offer more practical package deals or change the format in some way (eliminate day matches, perhaps). I don't know but something needs to be done. There must be enough tennis fans in the Los Angeles area to fill Staples Center.:rolleyes:

[Maybe they are all just tired of summer sports and only go to see basketball. Kobe and Shaq are probably more exciting than a bunch of women, anyway.] :angel: just joking

junkartist
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Not that many fans at $125 a pop! plus service charges and parking fees...lol

harloo
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by earthcrystal
I have a better idea for a poll.

How many threads will Chris Germany post on this subject?
1) This will be the last one.
2) More than 10 but less than 100
3) This will continue ad nauseum till next November.

LMAO!!!!! EC, I was thinking the same thing. lol

calabar
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Can someone please explain to me why Munich was a disaster considering that it was there for just ONE year? If LA does not turn a profit can we expect that ever year this travelling "circus" will be moving around? Why not settle down in one spot and allow the tournament to develop some roots?