PDA

View Full Version : Hana Mandlikova: Most underrated champion?

selesrules
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Hana Mandlikova has 4 slams EQUAL to Venus, Serena and Aranxta, and MORE then Lindsay & Capriati. She should also be considered as one of the greats!

Yet, nobody ever mentions her in lists, or in conversations about greats, etc. Is she the most underrated champion??? It's weird.

selesrules
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:47 PM
She even has 4 additional grandslam finals! That means that she's reached a grandslam final 8 times and won 4 of them. Very impressive :eek:

Ryan
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:49 PM
I'd say hse is underated because back then it was Evert-Navratilova-Austin mostly, Hana was never really appreciated as much as she should be IMO. Put this in Blast from the past, I'm sure you'll get more responses.;)

selesrules
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Judging by the amount of the replies, I think it proves my point. LOL

Jakeev
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:43 PM
The thing about Hana is I think she could have been a bigger force on the tour than she really was. So I don't fine her underrated as a champion.

Although she did have one last hurrah to win the 1987 Australian Open, I still consider her to be on of the most erratic of the Grand Slam champs. She just wasn't as mentally sharp as her comtemporaries where.

In fact, I wonder how dedicated she really was to the game.

Either way, she had many memorable matches and beat everybody on the planet at least once during her day. Underrated champion? Hardly, but she was good.

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:46 PM
I don't know much about hana, but I have been told that she hardly was an impact in tournaments apart from slams, am I correct?

PamShriver
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Okay, let's get this straight about Hana, and you know when ol Pammy says STRAIGHT she's talking about heterosexual dude lovin gals like herself...actually...I don't know what that had to do with anything. But I digress...

Hana was as talented as all get out. Yes, I admit even more talented than me. I know it's hard to believe now, but back in the day, Hana was the reigning LADY GAZELLE of the tour, and Pammy's Gammy's had little chance when up against Hana's. But and that's a BIG BUTT (Wendy Turnbull, I'm looking in your direction) is the fact that Hana was...how can I put this gently...hmmm...the gal was POPITOOTY LOONY TUNES!!!! She didn't even know when she was going to hit a winner. She showed no consistency whatsoever, and that , my friends, is the sign of a true champion. The Willis have already surpassed Hana in greatness, if for no other reason than week in and week out, they rarely lose and when they do lose it's to quality players. Not Jennifer Mundel or Iva Budarova for the love of Pete Sampras! Hana won 1 GS title in 1980, 1 in 1981, 1 in 1985 and 1 in 1987. That's not exactly stellar consistency in the big events my friends. Further, her GS finals were 2 in '80, 2 in 81, 1 in 82, 1 in '85, 1 in '86, and 1 in '87. Compare that with Evert and Navratilova at the time-

Evert GS Wins in '80's-2 in '80, 1 in '81, 2 in '82, 1 in '83, 1 in '84, 1 in '85, 1 in '86-At least one each year for the first seven years of the '80's.

Evert GS Finals in '80's-3 in '80, 2 in '81, 3 in '82, 2 in '83, 4 in '84, 3 in '85, 1 in '86, 1 in '88. That's 19 GS finals just in the period when Hana was at her peak.

Navratilova GS Wins in '80's-1 in '81, 2 in '82, 3 in '83, 3 in '84, 2 in '85, 2 in '86, 2 in '87

Navratilova GS Finals in '80's-2 in '81, 3 in '82, 3 in '83, 3 in '84, 4 in '85, 3 in '86, 4 in '87, 1 in '88

That's 22 finals in the period that Mandlikova at her peak. When comparing the statistics of all three players during that time period there really is no question as to why Mandlikova was overshadowed by Evert and Navratilova. They won more big events and did better when it mattered most.

Double Fault
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:54 PM
Pam that's one of the most informative, yet funny posts I 've read in a long while. You know your stuff Mrs!

selesrules
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:57 PM
Nobody is saying that she's at the same level as Navratilova or Evert! Very few are! I am saying that she has FOUR slams over a long period of time (kind of like Aranxta) proving LONGEVITY, plus 4 other grandslam finals for a total of 8. That's bigger stats then Capriati and Davenport, and similar stats then the Williams. Yet you never see her mentionned anywhere!! Heck, who cares about how her "style of play" was, we are talking about statistics! You can't win 4 slams and be treated like a nobody!

Pamela Shriver
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:21 AM
I'm the most underrated champ. <just please ignore the box ticked NO Grand Slams>

Martian KC
Nov 8th, 2002, 12:35 AM
LMAO@Pam! Well, I think you are one of the greats!:D

Jakeev
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:00 AM
All some of us are trying to say selesrules is that we don't find her underrated because despite being in 8 grand slam finals and winning four, we feel she should have done better than those results.

I don't fine her underrated because I think she had the talent to win more slams. She was as quick as Navratilova and had she had the confidence, I think she would have beaten Evert a lot more often than she did.

Hana even both of them in the same tournaments a few times. She accomplished a lot great. She should have done more.

Messenger
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Pamela Shriver
I'm the most underrated champ. <just please ignore the box ticked NO Grand Slams>

22 actually

louloubelle
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't call her underrated.... or treated as a nobody. A couple of years back whenever Jana Novotna was playing, you always heard Hana's name mentioned.

She gets credit where credit is due I feel just by hearing media talk, expert opinions and ofcourse everyone in The Blast from Tha Past Forum :D However the fact that she never reached No. 1 might be a reason she isn't veiwed as high as people think she should be.

Hana's autobio is a good read. It indicates alot of times about her injuries throughout her career. It seems her body struggled to take the rigours of pro tennis, maybe explaining the long time between slam wins.

As for you PamShriver you hussy! Stop talking about Wendy's BUTT. It was Wendy's BUTT and short, stumpy but sexy legs (as you'd agree!) that scurried her all over the court in her epic win over you in the 1980 NSW Open after she saved 8 match points!!
:D ;)

mishar
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Pam I know you're jealous because Hana has been getting all that hot girl action for years which you've been secretly yearning for. I mean, tell me honestly that you haven't lain in bed many a night wondering about Jana and Hana and what they were doing and how many others were with them!!

mishar
Nov 8th, 2002, 01:27 PM
btw, selesrules, one reason that Hana isn't considered on par with Williams, asv, davenport or even capriati or austin, was that she never became #1.
I might give her the nod over Jennifer but not against Lindsay, who has such a good record against most of the big players (includ. Graf, Seles, Hingis)

baleineau
Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:59 AM
i missed hana's career, but i always heard she was more talented than evert, but less confident and concentrated. she seemed in awe of martina.