PDA

View Full Version : Sydney '03 seeds

Volcana
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Sydney '03 (Guesswork)

The outcome of L.A. should determine the seeding for Sydney '03.
Venus rarely plays Sydney, and Jelena is avoiding the whole continent, so I'll work with the idea they won't be there.

5663 01 S.Williams
3587 02 Capriati - Unless she loses in the 1st round in L.A.
3218 03 Henin - She's got seperation. One more win and she's #3 seed at Sydney

Now it gets interesting. 108 points seperate the next 3, and Amelie isn't playing this week. The #4 seed at Sydney is a nice prize.

3068 04 Amelie Mauresmo
2963 05 Kim Clijsters
2952 06 Monica Seles

The 'H' girls are pretty solidly locked in to top 8 seeds

2668 07 Daniela Hantuchova
2348 08 Martina Hingis

And here are seeds #9 - #16. There could be some minor jumbling of the order, but none of these players can catch Martina.

1908 09 Anastasia Myskina
1795 10 Lindsay Davenport
1752 11 Chanda Rubin
1644 12 Patty Schnyder
1617 13 Anna Smashnova
1604 14 Magdalena Maleeva
1596 15 Silvia Farina Elia
1444 16 Alexandra Stevenson

Waiting in case someone else doesn't play ...

1426 17 Elena Dementieva
1295 18 Nathalie Dechy

Nov 7th, 2002, 12:09 PM
"3218 03 Henin - She's got seperation. One more win and she's #3 seed at Sydney"

...but she needs to beat Kim to get that win

ajayares
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Only 8 seeds in Sydney..

What make you think Serena is a certain starter in Sydney?? Since she is playing the Hopman Cup, she will get 4 matches (atleast 3), I think it is doubtful that she would want to play another 5 matches in Sydney before a GS.

If Venus doesn't play the first week of the year, I can see her playing this event this time, not Serena..

It's only guess work at this stage, until commitments come out though..

disposablehero
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:22 PM
I think you are vastly overestimating the Sydney field.

King Aaron
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Anna S will want to defend her title at the tier 3

RAA
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:38 PM
I didn't realize that Hingis was going to play sydney...

Vincent
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:45 PM
RAA, you could be wrong, Maritna have just hinted that she would return there!:)

Ted of Teds Tennis
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Disposable Hero:

Have you seen the Sydney field the past few years? It's been one of the strongest events outside the Slams, Key Biscayne, and the Tour Championships.

In 2002, the #8 seed was Shaughnessy, ranked around #13. In 2001, it was Capriati, who was ranked around #14. (She was the #12 seed at the AO, but I believe one or two higher-ranked players didn't play that year.) In 2000, the #8 seed was Kournikova, who was seeded #11 for the AO. One of the first-round matches in 1999 was between Dominique van Roost and Irina Spirlea, who would be seeded #11 and #13 respectively in the Australian Open the next week.

Now, I don't think eight of the top ten will be at Sydney. But six is quite likely, with seven a good possibility.

joao
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Henin will need more than 1 win to pass Capriati! She's still 300 pts behind!

Volcana
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:02 AM
Henin isn't going to pass Capriati. But both Williams sisters won't be at Sydney, so Jenn will be seeded #2.

ColinB
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:16 AM
Top 8 seeds will be...

1. Serena... She is taking Oz seriously this year and venus is playing Hong Kong the week before...
2. Jennifer
3. Justine... will def play
4. Clijsters... Will def play
5. Mauresmo... Always plays Sydney
6. Seles.... Has already committed
7. Hantuchova... Has already committed
8. Either Hingis is she chooses to play or Myskina... which leaves Davenport unseeded at 12....

tennisIlove09
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:38 AM
why don't we just wait until January, and then there will be no figuring it out ;)

ColinB
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:03 AM
we are figuring it out because we are interested in it...Anyway deadline for player entries for Oz season and Tokyo is Nov 11th....

I am guessing from top 20....

GOLD COAST - Henin, Myskina, Schnyder, Stevenson, Dechy,

AUCKLAND - Rubin, Smashnova, Kournikova,

SYDNEY - Serena, Capriati, Henin, Clijsters, Mauresmo, Seles, Hantuchova, Hingis, Myskina, Davenport, Maleeva, Schnyder, Rubin, Farina-Elia, Stevenson, Dementieva, Coetzer, Kournikova,

CANBERRA - Smashnova, Dechy,

HOBART - (Suarez, Fernandez, Schett)

TOKYO - Venus, Clijsters, Seles, Dokic, Hingis, Myskina, Davenport, Maleeva, Farina-Elia, Smashnova, Stevenson, Dementieva, Coetzer, Kournikova,

PARIS INDOORS - Serena, Henin, Mauresmo, Hantuchova, Dokic, Myskina, Maleeva, Schnyder, Farina-Elia, Smashnova, Dementieva, Dechy,

HYDERABAD - (Raymond - as friend of Bhuapati who is running event)

ANTWERP - Venus, Henin, Clijsters, Mauresmo, Hantuchova, Dokic, Myskina, Maleeva, Schnyder, Farina-Elia, Smashnova, Dementieva,

DOHA - (Will get cancelled because of new Gulf War)

DUBAI - (Will get cancelled because of new Gulf War)

MEMPHIS - Rubin, Stevenson, Dechy, Coetzer, Kournikova,

BOGOTA - (Suarez, Fernandez, Strebotnik)

SCOTTSDALE - Serena, Capriati, Clijsters, Seles, Davenport, Myskina, Rubin, Farina-Elia, Stevenson, Dechy, Kournikova,

MEXICO CITY - Schnyder, Smashnova, Dementieva, Coetzer,

I would like to plan the entire year for the WTA if I had my way....:-)

Jarrett
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:05 AM
Uh, when did Monica commit to Sydney?

ColinB
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:09 AM
Monica said so in an interview posted on here about a month ago - I think it was a pre-LA interview...

tennisIlove09
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:09 AM
Isn't Venus defending Gold Coast? Not that it matters, it's a T3 :rolleyes:

ColinB
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:11 AM
No - I did a post about this already - venus wants to play in the exhibition in Hong Kong the same week as Gold Coast - which is a shame as she was have given the event in Gold Coast great crowds...

mishar
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:59 AM
i'll bet venus plays sydney and serena plays tokyo. venus will want a real tourney and she hates playing on carpet. the hopman cup more intense than the hong kong exhibition.

i think monica will play sydney and skip tokyo (and hopefully all tourneys until indian wells)

colinb-- you're not only planning the wta commitments, you're planning military actions!!! if they do hold doha and dubai, who will attend amongst the top players?

i was thinking dokic maybe, or maybe capriati. probably not seles and venus again.

disposablehero
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:12 AM
I think you are mistaken, Colin. As I recall, Monica said she would probably play in the first week of the season, which is Gold Coast.

mishar
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:15 AM
that's actually a pretty good idea, dh, for her to play the gold coast.
but the article did say in a vague way 'hobart or sydney' as i remember it

Mateo Mathieu
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:44 AM
mishar is right! I read somewhere that she would play either Hobart and Sydney in that week.

hingis-seles
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:33 AM
I read Monica was going to play Hobart and not Hopman Cup this time.

ColinB
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Yes Monica said Sydney or Hobart - and I know someone who is working with the sponsors of the Adidas International in Sydney who said that yes Monica was playing there...

Monica will also play Tokyo as for numner one she has to with her Yonex contract, and number 2 she is very astute and knows that it is the weakest Tier 1 of the year.... She has a lot of points to defend there...

If they do hold Doha and Dubai - I dont think they will have great entries - they are in a bad position in the calendar... I don't see Venus playing again, maybe Monica, def not Jen - it would probably be down to the Europeans... Mauresmo, Hantuchova, Dokic and poss Hingis?

babsi
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Colin B, you must have some insider information regarding those schedules, as with regards to Babsi in Hobart the only way I found out about her playing that was because she told me, so I am guessing a lot of those commitments are right, Babsi is also playing Gold Coast as well.

mishar
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Colin -- seems like yonex wants her to play the september tokyo or the PPO but not necessarily both. So maybe next year she'll go back to the princess cup. Anyway, I just don't want her to overdo it. Less is better.

King Aaron
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Venus playing tokyo?

Kart
Nov 8th, 2002, 07:00 PM
I don't think Monica will play Sydney next year.

ColinB
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Kart - she has already committed to Sydney to the organisers...