PDA

View Full Version : Does Chanda need glasses?

Brian Stewart
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:24 AM
This thought occured to me as I was thinking about some of her results over the years. Chanda has traditionally struggled under artificial lighting, whether indoors or out. Some tennis pundits like to dismiss her as "inconsistent", but think about it for a moment. Every indoor facility has a different lighting structure. They have different backgrounds and ceilings. So picking up the ball visually, whether coming off your opponent's racquet, or on your own service toss, is different at every venue. Now consider:

Chanda has historically done poorly at Filderstadt. And at Zurich. And at the year-end championships, which she has only played in these massive multi-purpose indoor arenas sized for basketball.

She has traditionally done well at Linz, which has a skylight that allows naturaly lighting and gives a "sky" background.

Chanda has traditionally done poorly in night matches. She has usually performed below her norm, and below expectations, when playing at night.

All of this is too consistent to be merely the result of someone being erratic. If that were the case, she wouldn't regularly do well at some venues, and regularly do poorly at some others. She would be hit-and-miss everywhere.

All of this suggests she has some problems tracking the ball under certain artificial lighting. Martina Navratilova was only a bit older when she realized she needed glasses. (She was having trouble with the lights indoors. And, of course, when Martina voiced her problems, she was immediately accused of making excuses.)

Just this summer, when Lindsay was in her second tournament back, Chanda played her. And lost. At night. A week later, with Lindsay having another week under her belt, and playing a little better, they met again. This time, in the afternoon, Chanda won, in a much closer match. Chanda lost only 3 sets all week. To Serena (a great player), Lindsay (a great player), and Marissa Irvin. Marissa's a good player, but Chanda should have beaten her in straight sets. However, they played at night.

There are other factors, obviously. But for one player to consistently have problems at certain venues and under certain conditions against a variety of players, gives a pretty good suggestion that something may be wrong on her end. Does Chanda have problems in lower lighting? Does she need glasses/contacts? (No surgery. Many who have had it, including Mary, suffered problems afterwards after a brief period of good vision.)

Are there any other players that are in a similar situation? IE they can win on a surface in one venue, but not in another? They do consistently better/worse against the same players under certain different circumstances? Thoughts? Speculations? Incoherent ramblings?

Nov 7th, 2002, 09:58 AM
I have poor eyesight, and the extra light does make a difference...so tell her to get her eyes tested to find out

irma
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:01 AM
maybe she is nightblind! I am not sure glasses can solve that.

irma
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:02 AM
because I have glasses and still have these troubles!

Doris Loeffel
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:04 AM
You have a point there Brian. I myself have extreamly problems when I have to drive at night. All the lights looks like stars to me which is very distracting. Unfortunately there's not much one can do about it. Not even with glasses. But yes I still belive glasses might help just to relax the eyes.

Gandalf
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:19 AM
I think Capriati has also complained about night matches before.

Nov 7th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by irma
because I have glasses and still have these troubles!

Have you tried contact lenses? I don't know why, but they work better for me

irma
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:22 AM
yeah I did, but I got bad headache from them!

Williams Rulez
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:34 AM
How can you contact her? Do try, I think it is important.

RAA
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:48 PM
hmmm
interesting theory.
I certainly expected Chanda to give Kim much more of a fight than she did. She was just OFF her form all match long, it wasn't pretty to watch.

mishar
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Funny I always thought indoors was a great surface for Chanda.
First, her regular success at Linz.
Also she won the Quebec tournament a couple of years ago beating Capriati and reached the final there a couple of times. And didn't she beat Capriati in Filderstadt one year?
(Of course maybe Jenn has this problem worse!)

salima
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:36 PM
I thought she playd with linses. The same problems are known in other sports, and we can be sure she is aware of it.:cool:

Brian Stewart
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Mishar, I agree, indoors should be a great surface for her. It removes a lot of the problems that can adversely affect the serve. Yet she's had trouble serving indoors. She has done well at Linz, and Quebec City. In fact, when she won her Linz title, she beat Jana Novotna, one of the greatest indoor players of all time, in the semis.

Interesting that her big win at Filderstadt came over Jen, who also struggles under artificial lighting. I'm not as familiar with Jen's record off the top of my head, but hasn't she historically done poorly at the year-end Championships? Her indoor season this year was certainly poor. Even last year, with the chance to nail down #1, she struggled mightily indoors.

I think glasses might help as they helped Martina. If not prescription lenses, perhaps some sort of "sports lens". You know, those tinted lenses that cut certain kinds of glare, or make certain colors (such as yellow) more visible.

One other point they touched on during yesterday's telecasts: the court surface was put down late. Only a couple of players got to practice on it. Kim was one of them. She even got to stay on an extra hour as the Williams sisters didn't show for their scheduled practice session. Chanda practiced outdoors. Oh, the privileges of seeding.

WR, I have a few avenues to try to contact her. One of them should get through. Maybe I'll throw in some service tips, too. Her motion looked terrible yesterday. She's not maximizing the kinetic potential. I should give her my old service motion. I only double faulted 3 or 4 times a year. (Of course, I am a lot taller. :))

LaFawntanitra
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:11 PM
I'm a come correct and sorry yall if anybody get mad or what not. But are yall talkin about this just cuz she lost? It sound like some folk are makin excuses. I just get that cuz talkin about Chanda eyes come up just as she lose in LA. Makes me think something's up. I know I could be wrong but that how it sound to me.

Dawn Marie
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:03 PM
Cringes at FAWN'S way of writing. Please stop the facade.

I also think Venus needs glasses as well.

BrianII
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:20 PM
Borg just couldn't stand the night matches at the U.S open the artificial lighting just made it much more difficult for him to track the ball.

iLUVTBJ
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Do that, Chanda!! For you own good!! ;)

LaFawntanitra
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:34 AM
Dayum Dawn. You was feelin my flow on the Mickey Dee thread and now you sayin this. Girlfriend this is I how roll. Aint my problem honey it yours. Nobody else done said anything. I'm startin to think now that Crystal and the other chic's were right about you. You see thangs the way it best suit you AT THAT TIME then you flip on folk when you feelin another way. I done read shit you said about Chanda and now you singin a diffrent tune? Chile pleez! :rolleyes: Oh and Dawn you aint exactly writin like a kindergarten teacher yourself!

Dawn Marie
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Last post just proved my point. Your way too obvious.

LaFawntanitra
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:19 AM
As obvious as what girl? Your triflin ass? :rolleyes: Dawn you need to stop tryin to check these white folk cuz you be bringin the black race down with your bad ass grammar. You lucky they be nice to you cuz you know you try your shit on brothas and sistas your ass woulda got a beat down
a long ass time ago. Girlfriend I know me and aint no frontin like I know big words and what not. But chile you make so many dumb ass mistakes when you try to front with a vocab you should be countin your lucky stars that these peeps up in this piece actually like you even if you workin they last nerve.

Persian
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Maybe she should use a visa or some special polaroid tinited while playing, its always a possibility.