PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who are pissed off about the boring matches...

Nov 7th, 2002, 08:49 AM
...this is why:

(I have cut out the irrelevant parts of the article)
Belgians dominate first day of WTA Championships
By Steve Keating

A few hundred spectators sprinkled across a hall that regularly jams in crowds of 18,000 for Los Angeles Lakers NBA games created a vacant atmosphere for what is the most lucrative event in all of women's sport.

"It was hard today because it wasn't so crowded," said Henin, who is getting married next week. "I like to play when there are people in the stadium, so it's hard to find the great motivation.

"It was hard to find the energy to play my game but when I had to play in the second set I did."

"I think there were about six Belgian people sitting a little bit up in the stands and they were more vocal than all the people together," said Clijsters.

maya
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by untitled2284

"I think there were about six Belgian people sitting a little bit up in the stands and they were more vocal than all the people together," said Clijsters.

Maybe they should just give the event to Belgium ;) ...

Nov 7th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by maya

Maybe they should just give the event to Belgium ;) ...

That has already been suggested, as has moving it to Melbourne, Sydney, Hamburg, New York...

Hagar
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Give it to Belgium? THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING!
Last year the exhibition match between Kim and Justine was sold-out. If they would do the Masters at the same venue, the stands definitely would not be empty.

Maajken
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Ohhh Belgium would have my vote too :D

per4ever
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:12 AM
and mine obviously ;)

Nov 7th, 2002, 09:13 AM
...and Australian sporting events often sell out before they are even advertised!! (If you have been to an event before, you get sent a brochure thing in advance for the next year)

Greenout
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:40 AM
I think Sydney indoor would be a great idea.

Mercury Rising
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:03 AM
I didn't need to read this part to know that the bad matches had a lot to do with the number of people attending. Someone said they were right to not show up for these bad matches, but it's the other way around. The crowd has a lot to do with the level of play.

V.Melb
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Its too hard to find a seat for an event in australia.... with the ticket sales here for tennis, you would wonder why they just don't put the whole tour here they would make a mint!

Nov 7th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by V.Melb
Its too hard to find a seat for an event in australia.... with the ticket sales here for tennis, you would wonder why they just don't put the whole tour here they would make a mint!

You have no idea how long I had to wait for to get AO tickets!! Phone lines busy, huge lines @ every outlet ...

Julian Byatt
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:28 AM
I think 'Melbourne Park' the week after the Melbourne Cup is the way to go!

Volcana
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:03 PM
This is what happens when you place the event by sponsorship money instead of where the tennis fans are. Pattaya had better crowds.

BTW, leaving it at Madison Square garden would have been GREAT this year. The Knicks suck, the Rangers suck, the Islanders suck, the Jets suck and the Giants suck.

New York is DESPERATE for high quality sports.

In California, they just had two baseball teams in the World Series, they have the two best basketball teams on the planet, (even if one is basically from Europe) and a couple of Super Bowl contenders.

Tennis is lost out there.

I wish Richard Williams would BUY the fucking tour. At least he'd promote it.

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Oh well another failure by WTA, very sad indeed

marsha
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by joy
It was Great in New York!!

Well it can be back in NYC, but not at the Garden.

I also think Miami is a viable option.

Serendy Willick
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Jesus, have it in the Midwest or the south somewhere, New York and LA arent the only big cities in North America. Some Candiates are the Bahamias, Vancover, Chicago, Detroit, Philidelphia, Houston, Phoneix, Atlanta (YEA!) St. Louis, Memphis, Mexico, and Rio De Janiero.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:07 PM
I'd put it in Paris Bercy.
no indoor European venue quite like it.