PDA

View Full Version : How to increase attendance, boost championship

mishar
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:44 AM
We will see by the end of this tournament whether attendance is closer to the old New York number (96,000) or last year's Munich numbers (36,000) but even if it is "good" it is still so disappointing to see so many empty seats during the first few days, especially in the day sessions. Aside from better publicity, etc, here's what the WTA should do:

Start the tournament Monday night!

THere are eight first round matches.
Play 2 Monday night
2 Tuesday night
2 Wednesday night
2 Thursday night.

4 Quarterfinals:
2 Friday night
2 Saturday afternoon

2 Semifinals
2 Sunday

1 Final
Monday night

Thus there are no day sessions, and the night sessions will be much better-attended. The only objection I can foresee is that some players will have played late into the week before -- however, those players will not have to play Monday. At the earliest, they'd have to play Tuesday, and hopefully it could be arranged that they wouldn't.

Wherever the tournament is held, I think this is what they should do.

JC
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:49 AM
YEAH IT LOOKED PRETTY SAD SEEN SO MANY EMPTY SEATS. COME ONE A WHOLE ARENA FOR THAT MANY PEOPLE? THEY SHOULD OF HAVE A USED A HIGH SCHOOL TENNIS COURT.

per4ever
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:45 AM
just move the tourni to Belgium :cool:

Sharapower
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:45 AM
to boost the championships ? Play them in France (did you see the attendance in Paris-Bercy Masters series ?)

maya
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Move the tournament ....

I was watching it on TV and it looked pathetic; I could somehow understand no people showed up for Elena/Justine but no crowd for home players (NAME home players) Monica & Lindsay is just sad ...

Nov 7th, 2002, 06:51 AM
In Melbourne we have:
a. The perfect venue
b. The tennis fans to fill it

Sharapower
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by untitled2284
In Melbourne we have:
a. The perfect venue
b. The tennis fans to fill it And impossible hours for the rest of the world :sad:

JC
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:28 AM
LOWER THE PRICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND BRING ANNA EVEN IF SHE DOESN'T PLAY JUST HAVE HER STANDING AT THE ENTRANCE.

Nov 7th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by quasimodo
And impossible hours for the rest of the world :sad:

NO, you have impossible hours for us :p

Nov 7th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by JC
LOWER THE PRICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND BRING ANNA EVEN IF SHE DOESN'T PLAY JUST HAVE HER STANDING AT THE ENTRANCE.

Get Anna to do basically what Martina is doing? That could work

Sharapower
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by JC
LOWER THE PRICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND BRING ANNA EVEN IF SHE DOESN'T PLAY JUST HAVE HER STANDING AT THE ENTRANCE. Very true for the price. For the second point I'd prefer Charlize Theron wearing swimsuit as chair umpire LMAO.

Nov 7th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by quasimodo
Very true for the price. For the second point I'd prefer Charlize Theron wearing swimsuit as chair umpire LMAO.

LMAO!

vertiklychalengd
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:55 AM
um doubles???

Mercury Rising
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:59 AM
It's mainly the prize I think, if it was held in Belgium at the same prizes I wouldn't think of showing up. For these kind of events tennis is still an elitist sport.

gentenaire
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:07 AM
The prices in Antwerp weren't exactly low either. I wish they'd only sell tickets for the entire day.

Mercury Rising
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Tine
The prices in Antwerp weren't exactly low either. I wish they'd only sell tickets for the entire day. They are nothing compared with the prices of this tournament.
And two sessions, that's really ridiculous. It should be for one day, as you said.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Simple
4 matches on Wednesday, 4 on Thursday and Friday but as ONE Single Session.

Its better to have 20000 fans in at $10 rather than 10fans at $100+

once inside the fans will buy FOOD, and other merchandise.

but they make the prices just for the rich assholes.

gentenaire
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:42 AM
exactly, Eggy!

tommyk75
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Egg hit the nail on the head. The promoters need to get a clue.

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:07 AM
I was always amazed at those expensive price, frankly this shut out a lot of tennis fans. Okay I will be realistic and say that it maybe that they cannot slash price coz of sponsorship pressure but having said that hey knew the day session wikll not sell out, and personalyl they don't expect 19800 seats on the day right? So why not just give some to local school tennis club, has an outing etc.? Put price discount for young people under 21, etc. If it all doesn't work, and if I am sponsoring the event, rather make the stadium look empty I would have hand out tickets to people on the day, this practice is done a lot of time in the past in HK, and they use it to make it look respectable, and people who enjoy a bit of enteretainment can walk in and enjoy a day of tennis

baleineau
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:40 AM
agreed. they should be willing to virtually give away unsold tickets for a session, but of course, people may not buy tickets in advance in the hope of getting a near-nothing priced one at the last minutes (like airplane tickets).

at this year's Birmingham event, I got a front-row centre court ticket on Wednesday 2R day, paying the equivalent of about $12, but could also see play on all the other courts. I got see Myskina, Dokic, Maleeva, Stevenson, Bovina, Testud, Tauziat, Raymond...........not bad for a whole day's entertainment, up close to the courts, lots of matches.

I also paid something like $15 to see as much action on the outside courts at Wimbledon, which was great, up close to the players, seeing Kiefer, Marrero, Zvereva, Fernandez, Grande, Serna, Pavel, Clement..........

Compare this with paying a heap of dollars to watch from afar, two matches which turn out to be very dour affairs :rolleyes:

the cheapest tickets for this day session should have been about 12 dollars, rising to about 75 dollars for the front area. I'd have paid up to 25 dollars for a seat to watch these two matches.

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:43 AM
I do recogn we should do a petition asking for cheaper price so it is affordable for normal fans, but I doubt it will work, unless we got hundreds and hundreds of people to sign it

RAA
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:15 PM
I guess I missed the threads about how expensive the ticket prices were. sounds pretty obnoxious.
does anyone know how these prices compare to tix prices when it was in New York CIty?

I agree, they should scrap the day sessions and just do night sessions.

personaly, I think they should move it back to Madison Square Garden where it was for so long. but that's my East Coast bias showing...

vw43
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Does anyone know exactly how much they are charging for tickets? :confused:

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:36 PM
All Events Package

10 sessions

$1250

$1250

$770

$685

$605

$485

$250

Ace Package

7 sessions

n/a

n/a

$560

$490

$455

$350

$175

Championship Package

5 sessions

n/a

n/a

$400

$350

$325

$250

$125

Individual Ticket
Night & Weekend Session
(Wed. - Mon.)

1 session

n/a

$100

$80

$70

$65

$50

$25

Individual Ticket
Day Session (Wed. - Fri.)

1 session

n/a

$100

$70

$65

$50

$45

$25

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:36 PM
frankly this is ridiculous

Peridotpixie
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:37 PM
I think seats start at 25. Very bad seats.

Serendy Willick
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Those prices are horrific especially with the shitty econonmy in the US right now.

RAA
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:41 PM
yes, I would assume those $25 seats are pretty high up there. Staples center is a pretty big place..
yes, it sucks, but most big time sporting events in the US are pretty much priced out of the average person's range. Try seeing a pro football or basketball game. QUITE outrageous. however, lots of people are willing to pay those prices it seems.. pro basketball especially is VERY pricey here in the USA.

baleineau
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by RAA
yes, I would assume those $25 seats are pretty high up there. Staples center is a pretty big place..
yes, it sucks, but most big time sporting events in the US are pretty much priced out of the average person's range. Try seeing a pro football or basketball game. QUITE outrageous. however, lots of people are willing to pay those prices it seems.. pro basketball especially is VERY pricey here in the USA.

yes, but what other high-profile events could pro-basketball compare itself with?? The Womens Masters compare badly with centre court tickets at the Grand Slam events (roughly 35-100 dollars depending on your seat), and you get the chance to see at least 5 matches, usually including the really big names (Venus, Serena, Monica, Hingis, Sampras, Agassi, Hewitt).

The first round matches here are like 4th round / QF matches at a Grand Slam. They're fairly predictable and will be fairly short (1 - 1.5 hours), so a session consisting of two matches is half that of a 5 match session on a centre court at Wimbledon. Also, take out the prestige factor, and take out the fact that we're not seeing number 1 versus number 3 until the semis, then you really have to be pricing a session at about 25-30% of an equivalent all-day ticket at Wimbledon for Ladies Quarter-finals.

This would mean instead of being about $65 (Wimbledon Ladies QFs on Cente Court), a ticket should be no more than $20, and that should be for an average view. I'd be charging the roof-seats at about $12 (but $8-10 for the 1st round), the middle-to-back seats about $20 the middle-to-front seats about $30, the near front seats about $50 and the very front seats about $75.

Basically the cheapest and second cheapest seats are about 2.5 times overpriced. The upper-class seats are about right, if a little high still (20% too high).

The matches before the quarters should be cheaper than the quarters, semis and finals as well.

It's their choice: empty stadium or keeping out the 'undesirables'.

Shooter
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Supposedly the promoters of all the other tennis events in sourthern CA were worried that bringing the Tour Championships to L.A. would 'oversaturate' the area with tennis. Turns out it was the Tour Championships that suffered. I live in L.A. and attended 3 WTA events in 2002. The most I paid for a ticket was $32 for first round at the Chase. But I also got into the Qualies for free! I had courtside seats at EVERY event attended. These would be equivalent to the best $100 seats available at the Tour Championships. At the T.C. I would have seen 2 matches for my $100. At these other events I could watch about a dozen matches plus practice sessions on side courts. Granted these were early round matches, but for a fan of tennis it was great. Who did I see play for my money? - S Williams, Clijsters, Hantuchova, Dokic, Myskina, Davenport, Rubin, Schnyder, Smashnova, Dementieva, Stevenson, Pascual, Suarez, Demetieva, ASV, Black, Huber, Sugiyama, Lee, and Prakusya, plus many more not playing in L.A. Needless to say, though I live in L.A. I never considered attending the Tour Championships.

Gallofa
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Well, based on what appears to be the WTA idea of what pulls people in, I can see them coming with some of the following ideas:

1. Give Anna Kournikova a WC (she gets them to most other events anyway).
* if she loses in the first round, give her a WC into the QF, spectators can choose which of the other players in the QF has to go home and so on for each round.

2. Have people stand outside the Staples Centre and give free tickets (and two free drinks) to everyone that passes by.
* the free drinks to be served at any point during the matches and at the end of the session, so people stay.

3. Have every single player in a Serena's USO'02 kinda outfit - advertise such a thing profusely in the radio and tv (commenting on the free drinks too).

;) :p

just kidding :p

rioak1
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:29 PM
well it's obvious just bring in the one and only-Anna K.she'll fill the stands just being there.

smally
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:39 PM
What is all this noise about Anna K? She did not exactly do justice to the crowd in the last tournament she played in her home country Russia. What makes some of u feel she would perform any miracles if she was present????

RAA
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by hunkyalex

yes, but what other high-profile events could pro-basketball compare itself with?? The Womens Masters compare badly with centre court tickets at the Grand Slam events (roughly 35-100 dollars depending on your seat), and you get the chance to see at least 5 matches, usually including the really big names (Venus, Serena, Monica, Hingis, Sampras, Agassi, Hewitt).

The first round matches here are like 4th round / QF matches at a Grand Slam. They're fairly predictable and will be fairly short (1 - 1.5 hours), so a session consisting of two matches is half that of a 5 match session on a centre court at Wimbledon. Also, take out the prestige factor, and take out the fact that we're not seeing number 1 versus number 3 until the semis, then you really have to be pricing a session at about 25-30% of an equivalent all-day ticket at Wimbledon for Ladies Quarter-finals.

This would mean instead of being about $65 (Wimbledon Ladies QFs on Cente Court), a ticket should be no more than $20, and that should be for an average view. I'd be charging the roof-seats at about $12 (but $8-10 for the 1st round), the middle-to-back seats about $20 the middle-to-front seats about $30, the near front seats about $50 and the very front seats about $75.

Basically the cheapest and second cheapest seats are about 2.5 times overpriced. The upper-class seats are about right, if a little high still (20% too high).

The matches before the quarters should be cheaper than the quarters, semis and finals as well.

It's their choice: empty stadium or keeping out the 'undesirables'.

yes, good analysis.
I didn't realize that it was even more expensive than the Grand Slams, although that is hard to believe given the US Open's ticket prices. How do the prices for the semis in LA compare to ticket prices for ladies semifinal days at the USOpen? because I can tell you we payed a LOT (I can't quite remember how much, maybe $125 per ticket) for ladies semifinal day at the open, and that was for the LOGE at Ashe Stadium, which is not quite the top tier, but the one below that top tier. not the BEST place to watch a tennis match. So I saw two semifinal matches for $125, which was at least at the lower end of the price range for those tix... is that how much they would charge for the semis in LA?

Bonfire
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Promotion would be a good thing...I live in L.A. and had I not been a devoted wta tennis fan..I probably wouldn't have a clue that the championship was even being held here. And ticket prices need to go down obviously...by the way, question for anyone who has attended or just knows...

if I buy a $25 ticket for the nosebleed section for this sat. and the seats are empty like they have been....will they let me sit closer to the courts if the seats stay empty??

thanks

miranda_lou
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:47 PM
I'm going to Miami for the tournament in March and I've ordered my tickets. They are MUCH cheaper than the L.A. tournament and I can walk around ALL DAY and see whomever I like, women and men.:cool: Why would anybody pay those prices in L.A. to see a couple of matches. It's ridiculous!! It has nothing to do with the bad economy. People are flocking to Lakers games.:rolleyes: If someone wants to see a sporting event they find the money to do it. This tennis tournaments is just too expensive and not exciting enough for people to pay the money.

rioak1
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:51 PM
who cares if anna performs well, most ppl want to see her play,just like gallofa said just give her a wildcard to play every match and i'm sure they will come.

Tratree
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Besides the fact that the tickets are way too expensive, I never ONCE saw an ad on TV about the championships. I saw maybe one print ad in the newspaper. The WTA needs some PR help and soon. They haven't exactly been saturating the news in LA either. I would have had those girls all over LA doing publicity. I thought this guy from Nike was supposed to revolutionize the WTA.....NEXT!

baleineau
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:53 PM
RAA,

I think the semis and finals in LA represent reasonable value. I think Wimbledon charges about £60 for a ticket to the women's semis on centre court. That equate to about $90.

But in addition to paying about $50-60 dollars for women's 4th round matches on the centre court, you'd also get to see men's matches and doubles matches. There's be 2-3 times the amount of tennis, and most probably better players in acation. And you'd get reasonable views. And it's WIMBLEDON. Therefore the average ticket for these 1st round day sessions should be about $20, ranging from about $10 for the poor seats to $25 for average seats and $70 or the best.

It may sound "cheap", but better to fill the stadium and make 5,000 * $12 = $60,000 than make 200 * $30 = 6,000. Even better, 20,000 * $10 = $200,000!!!!!!!! There you go: semi-finalists pay generated after just one day session and nobody feels ripped off, the players get the atmosphere they need to play well, the burger sells are happy and fans watching on telly around the world say "hey, things look good for the WTA".

These additional people will eat and drink, buy merchandise, take their stories home, and leave with a more positive view of the WTA, even if the matches they've seen were unluckily of low quality.

JC
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:55 PM
true miranda_lou i got my tickets for indian wells and i only pay $18 bucks for all day and i see so many matches and many tennis players. I would rather go to Indian Wells and see the men and women at the same time. Indian Wells is huge and the atmosphere is great and can't wait for next year to go. As for the economy big fat lie california has a very strong conomy. Don't what to get into that, but california is the 5th strongest economy in the world. The problem was that there was no promotion for this even.

harloo
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by rioak1
well it's obvious just bring in the one and only-Anna K.she'll fill the stands just being there.

I really don't think Anna will be the solution to this promotion problem. The WTA has been allowing this problem to manifest itself for a while now, and some drastic changes should be made.

First off, I think what they need to do is find a smaller venue. 20,000 seats is a bit much for only a few matches over a week.

Next they need to fire the promotion department for this tournament, whomever they may be because they have did a terrible job.

Thridly, they need to lower early round ticket prices to $25 for day sessions, and $30 for night sessions.

Also, they need a promotion team that will get this message out.

Possible promotions-

When you buy 1 ticket to any early round day or night session you get a free wta calendar.

When you buy 1 ticket to any eary round session you get 1 free meal.

They could go to the schools in the area and offer discounted tickets to the schools for early round sessions.

Have a star autograph signing but proof of early round ticket purchase is required. Bring in Anna, Serena, Venus, Lindsay, Martina, Monica, and Hingis. This will motivate people to buy a ticket to the early rounds.

The semis, and finals will most likely sell out. Just cut the prices down about 20%. No incentives offered on these matches.

baleineau
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:01 PM
lack of promotion and over-ambitious ticket prices: a classic case of too few people chasing too many seats. In a market situation, the seats would be selling at maximum $10, 'cos that's how much people are prepared to fork out see Henin-Dementieva and Rubin-Clijsters.

baleineau
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:04 PM
i think the seat prices need to fall by about 50% really. The semis and finals will be a different story, but they're just not taking advantage of the genuine interest in women's tennis among less well-off young people right now. There's a big market of 10-30 year olds who'd love to be there, but can afford no more than say 10-15 dollars. Put 5,000 of these tickets available and you'd generate $75,000 extra for yesterday's day session. Instead, yesterday's day session brought in about $5,000 in total :(

Volcana
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Try promoting it. Try GIVING away tickets. California has more collegs thanany other state inthe USA. Most of them have tennis programs. GIVE them tickets. The thing is going to be on TV. Advertisers do NOT want there products associated with an empty arena! This is Promotion 101. If you're on TV, fill the damn seats anyway you have you. It looks like a regular season college tournament. So amateurish. And the idea of not being able to get a title sponsor for a million dollars. What a joke. Don't the players get it? The tour looks third rate when no one will pay that price. The top ten money winners should have paid $100,000 a piece and bought the title themselves. Just call it the "Women's Tennis Association" The "Zenithion Uplift Bra Women's Tennis Association" sound kinda cheesy. Of course, I think all corporate sponsorship feels kind of cheap. Like they're somehow coursening the product.

First off, the championship should be in Europe. Why? Because the tour over there is at a tennis crescendo. Just as the 3 California tournaments lead to Toronto, New Haven and the US Open, with Moscow and Zurich and Linz, etc, four or five important European tournaments lead right up til the Tour Championships. Then you move halfway around the world from the fans who've been actively following it. Absurd.

They got bad crowds in Munich because promotion sucked.

But the people in L.A. are more focused on Shaq's big toe and the Kobe/Tex Winter feud then they are on tennis.

I think the players need to demand some accountablity. Clean house, raise executive salaries,and talk to some of the people from the WNBA and the WUSA about the rigors of drawing crowds to women's sports. The players need to realize that the tour, which is their bread and butter, is not a healthy entity.

They need the players to invest financially. They need the kind of player input and dominance that was going on in the 70's.

RAA
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by hunkyalex
RAA,

I think the semis and finals in LA represent reasonable value. I think Wimbledon charges about £60 for a ticket to the women's semis on centre court. That equate to about $90.

But in addition to paying about $50-60 dollars for women's 4th round matches on the centre court, you'd also get to see men's matches and doubles matches. There's be 2-3 times the amount of tennis, and most probably better players in acation. And you'd get reasonable views. And it's WIMBLEDON. Therefore the average ticket for these 1st round day sessions should be about $20, ranging from about $10 for the poor seats to $25 for average seats and $70 or the best.

yes, I did get to see the mens doubles finals plus some women's doubles too at the us open for the the ridiculously-overpriced ticket I bought, so that is true.
clearly, they've priced themselves out of the local tennis market. maybe they thought in LA they would pay a lot of $$...

baleineau
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:28 PM
it's awful, because at the slams, demand totally outstrips supply yet the ticket prices aren't all that badly priced.

yet here, where demand is a lot lower, they're outpricing the normal daytime mid-week crowd: students, the elderly, and young school kids. imagine the cost of taking yourself and two kids to one of these sessions. almost 100 dollars plus food and drink for a couple of hours tennis in a tournament that has no history in the stadium in question. it's a joke.

apparently, attendance for today's session is worse than yesterday's :rolleyes:

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Well I think there is no point of comparing event in LA to say US Open, coz US Open is prestigious and people get into the habit of having tennis in that fortnight.

They try to make the championship like the crown pearl when no one heard about it, those price is ridiculous, women tennis has a lot of fans, but they rather watch at home, (and so will I ) if I need to dish out 100 dollars to see Kim playing chanda
Lowering the price is one thing, and hand in some cheap ($5-10) tix to college students or tennis clubs, I can guarantee it will be half full,

veryborednow
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:39 PM
They've let in a bunch of local school kids today, they should have done that yesterday.

The price should be reduced, and maybe the fact that womens tennis doesn't full in the crowds they expect taken into account - charging a tonne isn't going to make them come in their droves.

Do some competitions that allow for some tickets - on radio stations because that's advertisements too, and maybe to go behind the scenes/meet the players like the do with music concerts.

Would moving it around help? Yes of course. Europe's got the up and coming players, hold it somewhere like Belgium you're going to get the crowds it at the moment because of Henin and Clijsters. I would say Russia in a few years, France too if Bartoli makes an impression. If Anna K gets better, you'll always get a tonne of tabloid journalists in the crowd if held in the UK.

Ultimately, the men and the women should join forces for the end of year tournament.

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:42 PM
umm moving around does help
How about having a bidding every year, and let other countries bid of holding the event each year, it will be good coz those venues will only bid if they know it will be a success coz of the potential cost of the event, this way, we should get really good venues every year.

baleineau
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by veryborednow
Would moving it around help? Yes of course. Europe's got the up and coming players, hold it somewhere like Belgium you're going to get the crowds it at the moment because of Henin and Clijsters.

Yes, but USA has Serena, Venus, Capriati, Monica, Lindsay and Chanda. And LA is where Lindsay, Serena and Venus have origins. If it had been held in Belgium this year and was failing, everyone would say to take it to the USA, and possibly LA.

The problem is an overlarge stadium that's expensive to hire. hence high ticket prices. Women's tennis does not have that sort of following.

They need a stadium of about 8,000 seats max, and to set the cheapest tickets at about $15, and promote the event like hell. For day sessions mid-week, schools, colleges should be targeted, as well as making it more attractive to families e.g. young woman and her two kids. They could have half-price for 5-15 year olds. It could be one child free with each full-paying adult and other child - a family ticket.

AND THEY SHOULD NOT BE BROADCASTING IT ON A BIG SCREEN OUTSIDE - THAT IS POOR BUSINESS SENSE. They do it in the Slams because the stadium is full and they don't want people to take off home with their dollars.

The WTA really has messed up with LA, bigger than Munich if the numbers are right. This attendance is like a Tier III / Tier IV

harloo
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:53 PM
IMO, the problem is not the location. It's the PROMOTION that's very bad. You can get people to come ANYWHERE if the price and the incentives are right. To be honest, I haven't even seen any promo's for the championships at all.

Offering incentives and making the tickets cheaper will fill up the stadiums. It's just that they need good promotion, get some of the colleges involved. Give group rates out to the schools. DAMN, hire some telemarketers for godness sake. Whatever you have to do promotion wise fill up those seats at least half way. The way this tournament has been handled is degrading. It absolutely makes no sense at all for the year end championships to be this way.

veryborednow
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:54 PM
I know USA has the largest number of the better players. But tennis is not one of the most popular sports, in fact it's something like the 22nd (did I read that). There's a limit to the number of people willing to get time off work to watch some tennis if it's not that popular. That's all I was saying. In Europe it's the 2nd most popular sport (apparently).

Just one factor.

But price. Yes. Extortionate.

Monica_Rules
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Its just a rippoff!

I expect the crowds will get bigger i mean the crowd watching Maleeva/Hantuchova was about the same size as Seles/Davenport

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:58 PM
I hope the crowd better and it is encouraging to see the crowd is bigger today in day session, but even if the stadium is sellout from now on, it still doesn't stop the fact that the first day was a failure

GoDominique
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:02 PM
The crowd is a bit better today, but still very bad. Definitely not enough to get the 'crowd' into a match.

But frankly, when there is Myskina vs. Dokic on, you don't really expect spectacular (or smart:rolleyes: ) tennis. I wouldn't go and watch it.

GoDominique
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:16 PM
And with the bad matches and the corny music in the breaks and the boring court colour and the few people, there is no feeling of CLASS. If someone not that informed about tennis switches on the TV and sees this, he won't get the feeling that something special is going on there.
But that's partly because in fact there ISN'T going on something special. Most matches are boring and bad, let's face it.
Get the top 8 there. ONLY. (OK, not necessarily a guarantee for great matches)

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:21 PM
yeah I know, women tennis is all about stars (I am sorry it is painfully true) and I bet you Serena and Jennifer will get a good crowd tonight, coz as someone said before, people want to go to tennis match so they can say, 'oh I saw Serena (or insert any big star) tonight.'

But it is true that I thought Myskina and Dokic will not attract too many people coz not amny people know them

But I think it is bullsh*t to say women tennis cannot hold an event on thier own with huge crowd, Arthur Ashe Stadium was soldout in US Open when MArtina is playing Amanda, jennifer v Meghann, and Martina and Anna was playing some doubles, it is just promotioonal, administrative problem

baleineau
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:27 PM
i agree. "Farina who?" "Anastasia what?" "Anna Smashnova?"

there are only two names in the draw that have been really winning anything of import in the last 2 years and they're called Venus and Serena. Okay, Jen as well, but no-one else there has been doing anything headline grabbing.

it's too ambitious.

3-4 years ago WTA was riding high. Hingis. Venus. Lindsay. Serena. Anna K. Steffi. Monica.

7-10 years ago it was working: steffi, martina N, monica, Gaby, Arantxa, Conchita, Jana, Zina, Mary-Joe.

But this year is a real struggle, but instead of realsing this, the WTA has grossly over anticipated the attractiveness of the field and plumped for a super-size venue, with a weird name that is not vaguely associated with tennis, and charging ridiculous prices.

there'll be a revision quickly once the sponsors don't renew - again.

GoDominique
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Oh please ... 'Cotton Eye Joe'. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: This is CHEAP ! :rolleyes:

baleineau
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by wongqks
But I think it is bullsh*t to say women tennis cannot hold an event on thier own with huge crowd, Arthur Ashe Stadium was soldout in US Open when MArtina is playing Amanda, jennifer v Meghann, and Martina and Anna was playing some doubles, it is just promotioonal, administrative problem

i disagree to some extent. people just wanna go to the US Open. People just wanna go to Wimbledon. if they're lucky to get tickets, they'll watch whoever is there. With these championships, you know what the deal is more or less weeks in advance. At a Grand Slam, you're happy just to be at the tournament.

yes, promotion for this event seems mega lousy indeed, but i think the product itself is not something that will sell like hot cakes.

Anna and Martina being absent will have some effect too.

rioak1
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:18 AM
i do know what you mean about the high ticket prices,i'm going to tne nasdaq 100 in miami and i wanted to see anna play so they told me my best bet to see her was come on the first saturday and sunday of the tournament and i'd be guaranteed to see her for 160.00.for 4 sessions and the seats are not even close.