PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Athletic Anastasia Myskina !!!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87

Daniel
Mar 20th, 2004, 07:14 AM
Anastasia, :kiss: Reaching the semis and losing to the#1 in the world is not bad at all. So far good results for her now in Miami she will be healthy and feeling fresh with a chance of taking the title :worship:
Vamos Anastasia :bounce: ::yeah:

bubble
Mar 20th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Wondered what went wrong..
Usually Nastya 's matches with Justine are usually very close.. This time it was such a white wash....

Mathijs
Mar 20th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Nastya that wasn't so good. :mad: :( :crying2: well better luck next time :hug:

Epigone
Mar 20th, 2004, 08:52 AM
To add to the misery, Nastya and Vera were kicked 6-2 6-0 in their doubles SF :sad:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 20th, 2004, 10:10 AM
She said she has a slight tear in her right shoulder and that shoulder became sore at the end of the first set.

:bigcry: Not another injury. If she has a tear she really shouldn't have been playing the semi.

cool_olga
Mar 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM
I'm just after watching the match, it was so bad, poor Nastya :sad:

Actually I couldn't see she is injuried...I don't know what happened, she just didn't feel the game at all. Like not hitting clear the balls, tons of errors, especialy to the net and many double faults. It was like she walked near this match. I was so sad while watching it, her face was really sad and disappointed. I don't know if it was injury or just not her day. I hope the second, it can happen to everyone. But at least in one rally she proved what she is worth. She was in extremely deep defense, defended one overhead and was running to backhand. She reached it and hit incrediblee cross backhand, so amazing, near the line. It was great. And at the end she kind of woke up a bit. She played little bit better, but again double faults destroyed everything. Through the whole match Nastya wasn't playing her game. We couldn't see her flat hard balls but slow ones landing in the middle of the court, no near the baseline. Completely different player. She should forget about this match quickly and go healthy to Miami. It was great tournament anyway. We are proud of you Nastya !!

moo_ont
Mar 20th, 2004, 12:44 PM
I did watch the match as well. Myskina seemed so tired. Even too tired to throw her racquet. And, the result of her doubles is another evidence of her fatigue. Becuase she has played so well in these weeks, she had to play lots of matches.

Yes, Myskina was better off the ground. When they had long rallies, she won points. I am sure she will do well in Miami. She could play doubles, so I don't think the injury is that serious. Good luck next week, Myskina :).

goldenlox
Mar 20th, 2004, 05:36 PM
http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/shared/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.pacificlifeopen.com/shared/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.pacificlifeopen.com/shared/graphics/space.gifANASTASIA MYSKINA

THE MODERATOR: Questions for an stay that, please. Q. You didn't seem like yourself out there tonight. Why was that?
ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Can happen, bad days, good days. Today was bad day for me.
But Justine play pretty well. She didn't really give me any chances today. Sometimes it happen.

Q. Since you had to play so many matches before you came here, with the doubles, are you looking forward to a few days of not playing matches and resting?
ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Yeah, definitely. I mean, I play 9:00 doubles. You know, after this, I'm not going to play for couple days, because it's just too much sometimes.

Q. How disappointed are you?
ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Not really because, you know, I know that was a bad game for me. I didn't play my game at all. So I know I have to practice, what I have to practice. Just look forward for next tournament.

Q. Could you tell us about your serve. You seemed to be struggling with your serve tonight.
ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Yeah, I have a little bit pain in my shoulder today. Really wasn't my day today at all. Not just serve - everything.

Q. The pain in your shoulder, is that something you had a lot?
ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Not a lot, but sometimes I do have. Yeah, when I play a lot of matches. It's the muscle inflamed.

Q. It's like a sharp pain in your shoulder or a constant ache?
ANASTASIA MYSKINA: It's a sharp.

Q. Are you thinking of taking some time off and missing the next tournament to rest it?
ANASTASIA MYSKINA: No, no. I play Miami for sure, and then I have a rest for the month.

Q. Can you pick a winner for us for the women's final?
ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Oh, no. I'm not going to do that. It's going to be good final, for sure. Lindsay play really well, and Justine play well. So they both want to win. Definitely Lindsay play at home, so I think it's going to be really good final.

Q. Did you say you'll take a month off after Miami? Did I misunderstand you?
ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I play Fed Cup, but then I play just Berlin after Miami.

Q. You go back? No Charleston, Amelia?
ANASTASIA MYSKINA: No, it's too much.

goldenlox
Mar 20th, 2004, 09:43 PM
I just watched the match. In the first set, Nastya had 1 winner, and 14 UE's. 33% first serves in play.
The key moment was Nastya serving 1-4, 40-0. Still down only 1 break. Nastya just had an off day.

Maybe she was tired, maybe her shoulder bothered her, maybe mental fatigue. It doesn't matter.
Now Nastya can rest for a few days. And after Miami, she can totally get healthy and rested.

the cat
Mar 20th, 2004, 09:54 PM
I stayed up for Nastya's match against Henin and I'm sorry I did. I hope Ana is okay and she's just tired. But her poor performance against Henin concerns me that she might be injured. Pam Shriver talked about Ana possibly having a shoulder injury. I hope that's not the case.

Mathijs
Mar 21st, 2004, 01:53 PM
I don't hope that the injury is getting worser, i hope to see you more fit in Miami Nastya Please get well :hug: :kiss: :sad:

goldenlox
Mar 21st, 2004, 05:42 PM
Nastya has won 15 matches, and lost 4, in 2004. She won Doha, and reached at least the quarters in the other 4 events she has played.
Nastya keeps improving, and that should have everyone ranked below her also trying to improve.

- L i n a -
Mar 21st, 2004, 05:45 PM
Nastya has played great this year.

But, next week is very important.

She's going to be the highest ranked player in Miami, and this is a great chance for Nastya to win her biggest title.

I just hope she recovers from Indian Wells, and is able to play her best tennis.

goldenlox
Mar 21st, 2004, 05:53 PM
I think Serena will come back strong. But Nastya should be seeded to make the semis.

I can't wait for this draw.

- L i n a -
Mar 21st, 2004, 08:13 PM
Even if Serena plays, Nastya is the higher ranked player... and I doubt Serena will play, because we've been down this road before with her.

Udachi Nastya.

Win.

goldenlox
Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:11 AM
I think Nastya will be the #3 seed. And she will be the highest ranked player in the draw.
And only one point to defend.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:57 AM
Well Miami is going to be very very weak so hopefully Anastasia doesn't feel the pressure as one of the favourites cause normally at the big events she is not considered one of the big favourites so it will be a newpressure for her, lets hope she deals with it well and isn't overawed

Daniel
Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:54 AM
Good luck in Miami :worship:

sartrista7
Mar 22nd, 2004, 11:42 AM
I just hope she recovers from Indian Wells, and is able to play her best tennis.

This is what worries me... if Nastya was fit and healthy, I'd be very excited about her chances here. But the shoulder injury sounds worrying, and she looks tired... hopefully a week will be enough to recover, but if either of those factors are present in Miami, she'll be very vulnerable.

cool_olga
Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:59 PM
I don't know if she won't withdraw, cuz it would bestrnage if she played since she withdrew from J&S Cup..Or it's just an excuse to not play Tier II :mad:

Just wonder, at the beginning she was talking about a shoulder and now it's a finger on left foot...

goldenlox
Mar 23rd, 2004, 01:32 AM
Nastya has some very good players in her section -

Fabiola Zuluaga (16) COL/Bye-Shenay Perry USA/Marlene Weingartner GER
Tatiana Perebiynis UKR/Laura Granville USA-Bye/Nathalie Dechy (21) FRA
Lina Krasnoroutskaya (28) RUS/Bye-Qualifier/Emmanuelle Gagliardi SUI
Marissa Irvin USA/Viktoriya Kutuzova UKR-Bye/Anastasia Myskina (3) RUS

Dechy is a player who is really on form now.

- L i n a -
Mar 23rd, 2004, 01:35 AM
Nastya will lose to Marissa.

goldenlox
Mar 23rd, 2004, 01:38 AM
You mean lose to Vika. I think Nastya beats Vika.

Daniel
Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:01 AM
Nastya :worship: it is a nice draw for her :bounce:

cool_olga
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:17 AM
I'm disappointed. Nastya didn't tell the truth :sad: Never expected that from her

Mathijs
Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:14 PM
if Nastya's shoulder is healed she can play a good tournament GO Nastya! :worship: :bounce:

goldenlox
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:14 PM
Where was Nastya talking about her left foot?

cool_olga
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:15 PM
She withdrew from Warsaw due to injuried toe on left foot..She said she's not able to play for a month and then she is not able to prepare to good tournament. But since she plays Miami now, I don't get it, just an excuse. I'm sad cuz I won't see her. But I hope it's the best for her if she decided like that

goldenlox
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:19 PM
This was after the loss to Justine -

Q. Are you thinking of taking some time off and missing the next tournament to rest it?
ANASTASIA MYSKINA: No, no. I play Miami for sure, and then I have a rest for the month.

Q. Did you say you'll take a month off after Miami? Did I misunderstand you?
ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I play Fed Cup, but then I play just Berlin after Miami.

Q. You go back? No Charleston, Amelia?
ANASTASIA MYSKINA: No, it's too much

When did she say she had a foot injury? Was it after the Justine loss?

cool_olga
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:26 PM
No, that's what is confusing for me. Because in Indian Wells she was talking only about the shoulder, never mentioned foot. But she said there in the intieriev she plans just Berlin. So she simply doesn't want to play Warsaw. So the official reason she gave on our tournament's official site is that she has second toe on left foot injuried and she cannot play for 4 weeks! So I don't understamd here something...If she can't play why she is in Miami?

goldenlox
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:32 PM
I don't understand that either. Nastya wants to play fewer events this year. That must be a mistake on the website.

- L i n a -
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:40 PM
This is why it's stupid that players MUST give an injury excuse, or they'll be fined.

goldenlox
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:42 PM
I think it's just a mistake. Nastya said long ago that she was resting after Miami.

cool_olga
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I know that. But Rest meaned not playing American clay like Amelia Island, Charleston, Sarasota. Then she plays Fed Cup and Warsaw is after Fed Cup. If she planned not to play it why she entered the tournament? At least she wouldn't give me a hope. and site didn't mistaken I think, they quoted what Nastya said

goldenlox
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:52 PM
Even if Nastya does withdraw, and says she is injured, why would she say it now?
Warsaw is where Sveta played Anna in the first round. And Lena B. won the whole thing. Seems like a long time ago.

cool_olga
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:55 PM
What do you mean 'now'?
Yeah, Lena won it in 2002 but from 2003 it became Tier II

- L i n a -
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:56 PM
That's because Warsaw is an entirely different tournament now.

It replaced Hamburg, as of last year.

goldenlox
Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:05 PM
There is no reason for Nastya to claim an injury now. She is playing a tournament this week.

If the Tennis Channel would show Anna-Sveta or Sveta-Lena, from that tournament, I would tape it and watch every point.

cool_olga
Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:09 PM
That's what I meant

goldenlox
Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:18 PM
I think Nastya is only playing 17 events this year. Plus Olympics and Fed Cup.

- L i n a -
Mar 24th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Good for Nastya that she's deciding to play less tournaments.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 24th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Well that is confusing:confused: Maybe there has just been miss communication somewhere and either the website is wrong and the shoulder is the reason or Nastya didn't mention the foot in her interview in Indian Wells cause she was talking about her serve and so she just mentioned her shoulder:confused:

She withdrew from Warsaw due to injuried toe on left foot..She said she's not able to play for a month and then she is not able to prepare to good tournament

That doesn't sound good about her not being able to prepare well:( Well I pray for you Kim is right by Warsaw and you can see Kim, however for you that ofcourrse doesn't make up for not seeing Anastasia.

I don't see how Anastasia is only going to play 17 tournaments this year. Miami is already her 6th tournament she is probably playing Berlin, Rome then the French, A grass courtwarm up, then Wimbledon, 2-3 US Hardcourts, Olympics, US Open, Filderstadt, Moscow, Zurich, Linz, LA. So that is like 21-22:p (I counted Olympics cause it has ranking points but didn't count Fed Cup)

goldenlox
Mar 24th, 2004, 01:22 AM
Yeah, this is Nastya's 6th tournament. She won Doha, made the semis in Indian Wells, and three quarters, including the AO.

- L i n a -
Mar 24th, 2004, 01:24 AM
I think Nastya is only playing Berlin.

Then, who knows, maybe she's skipping all of the fall indoor season, or cutting down on summer hardcourt season.

moo_ont
Mar 24th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Myskina doesn't play doubles this time. I think there might be something wrong. I guess she is either injured or too tired. Hopefully, she is alright.

ys
Mar 24th, 2004, 05:35 AM
New interview with Nastya, where she says that Russian girls are more ambitious than Russian men, and names her boyfriend who is a ...... hockey player ( :rolls: ) Stepanov playing for Dynamo Moscow ..

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/default.asp?p=2&date=2004/3/24&id=148130

Almalyk
Mar 24th, 2004, 06:52 AM
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: I am pleased to see that Nastya is only playing singles. It will be too tiring for her to play doubles as well. She is the only player besides Kuznetsova who has played well for 4 weeks in a row.

Bring on another good run in singles and rise to 3 or 4!

Daniel
Mar 24th, 2004, 07:04 AM
:bounce: :worship: :bounce: :yeah:

cool_olga
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Yeah, it's better for her playing less. She's very thin and maybe it's too much for her. At the end of the last season when I saw her on tv she just looked exhausted, so that's for sure better for her. Though I don't have to say how much I wanted to see her. Now I guess I must try to go to Wimbledon...
btw. I must find some pics of Stepanov :rolls:
Wonder what she will ship to have just 17 tournaments. It's even less that all Tier I's and GS'

cool_olga
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Could somebody translate this interview when has some time? Pleaseeee

cool_olga
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:54 AM
One more thing, here is the article from J&S Cup site and what exactly Nastya said:

Anastazja Myskina had to withdraw from the Cup due to an injury. This allows Silvia Farina-Elia to enter the main draw.
The world's number 5 ranked player sustained a painful injury of her left foot's second toe. She will be unable to practice and compete for at least four weeks.
"I regret withdrawing from the J&S Cup but I have been advised to rest my toe and not play for four weeks in a row, which means I won't be in shape to compete is such a strong tournament. I look forward to going to Warsaw next year" stated Myskina.
Her place in the main draw will be given to the Italian player, Silvia Farina-Elia, who is currently ranked fifteenth in the world.

If this is true with this finger the only explanation that comes to my mind is that this injury isn't so paintful now and she needs to have it rest for 4 weeks but it doesn't have to be immidietly. But dunno

ys
Mar 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Here is a pic of Nastya's boyfriend..

http://dynamo.pixelart.ru/hockey/image.show.php?ID=183

moo_ont
Mar 24th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Wow ys...thanks a lot. What's his full name? Is he a popular player?

cool_olga
Mar 24th, 2004, 05:20 PM
OMG, he's not cute :eek: :rolleyes:

moo_ont
Mar 24th, 2004, 05:23 PM
cool_olga...:tape: :lol:...he might actually be cute in person.

the cat
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Here are some pictures of Anastasia with one of my favorite charities and one of the worlds greatest charities, "Feed The Chirldren". Anastasia is such a nice person. :) The photos are located at www.nasdaq-100open.com/news/photos/gallery21048.html (http://www.nasdaq-100open.com/news/photos/gallery21048.html)

goldenlox
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:17 PM
I don't understand that article from the J&S Cup site. Since Nastya is taking a month off, I hope she does well here.

goldenlox
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Nadia Petrova (8) RUS/Bye
Els Callens BEL/Qualifier
Anca Barna GER/Mariana Diaz-Oliva ARG
Bye/Emilie Loit (32) FRA

Alicia Molik (24) AUS/Bye
Amy Frazier USA/Cara Black ZIM
Qualifier/Martina Sucha SVK
Bye/Silvia Farina Elia (11) ITA

-----

Fabiola Zuluaga (16) COL/Bye
Shenay Perry USA/Marlene Weingartner GER
Tatiana Perebiynis UKR/Laura Granville USA
Bye/Nathalie Dechy (21) FRA

Lina Krasnoroutskaya (28) RUS/Bye
Qualifier/Emmanuelle Gagliardi SUI
Marissa Irvin USA/Viktoriya Kutuzova UKR
Bye/Anastasia Myskina (3) RUS

I think Nastya's draw is excellent. I hope she's healthy.

cool_olga
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:13 PM
cool_olga...:tape: :lol:...he might actually be cute in person.
I guess he is if Nastya loves him ;)

I hope Nastya will reach semis. It would be very good result and with this draw she should do this. Though I would like to see all-Williams final this time...Strange, some time ago I would pray for it to not happen but now I'm hungry of seeing Venus and Serena. But Nastya has great chance here if she only is healthy. Good luck!

goldenlox
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:17 PM
I don't know if Nastya's shoulder is okay. Or if there really is a foot problem.
But if Nastya is taking a full month off, this tournament is important.
And when Nastya comes back, everyone in the top 10 might be healthy.

cool_olga
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:29 PM
I hope so. Would like to see some really good tennis finally.
btw guys, what's Stepanov's name?
????? Stepanov

moo_ont
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:34 PM
I guess he is if Nastya loves him ;)
:yeah: I guess so. Otherwise, he must be a really great guy. Most importantly, he is so lucky that Myskina chose him. As for his name, I have no idea. I looked over google. His name might be Alexandr..if so, he is 2 yrs older than Myskina with 178 cm height and 85 kgs :).

I hope Nastya will reach semis. It would be very good result and with this draw she should do this. Though I would like to see all-Williams final this time...Strange, some time ago I would pray for it to not happen but now I'm hungry of seeing Venus and Serena. But Nastya has great chance here if she only is healthy. Good luck!
Myskina may not play doubles cuz she wanna focus on her singles. It's a wise decision. She has a great chance to get into at least SF. But, if she isn't 100%, getting some wins is good enough. Wish her well and good luck.

cool_olga
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:46 PM
:yeah: I guess so. Otherwise, he must be a really great guy. Most importantly, he is so lucky that Myskina chose him. As for his name, I have no idea. I looked over google. His name might be Alexandr..if so, he is 2 yrs older than Myskina with 178 cm height and 85 kgs :).
Thanks for infos :) Yeah, he's lucky she ended with Jens. Hope they're good couple. Wonder if there's any more pic of him on the net.

Anyway, wish Nastya's healthy, that's the most important

moo_ont
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:54 PM
I am not sure if it's his name. If not, sorry for that. :) ys may know his full name and confirm this again.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 03:52 AM
Nastya should pass Lindsay and go to #4 in the world this coming week. Then she takes a vacation.
In that period of time, Sveta will play AI, Charleston, and Warsaw.
It will interesting to see how Nastya comes back on red clay. Fitness is important.

- L i n a -
Mar 25th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Nastya is already #4, even if she doesn't win a match this week.

If Nastya reaches the finals... she'll pass Amelie for #3, I believe. :banana:

Either way, with Amelie injured, and her defending a bunch of points in Warsaw & Rome... while Nastya basically only has her Sarasota title to defend in clay season... it looks very good that Nastya will reach #3.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 04:37 AM
But then comes vacation. Lindsay takes #3.

- L i n a -
Mar 25th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Lindsay also is defending AI final, and Charleston semis... and Lindsay doesn't play many red clay warmup events.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Nastya is up there with the big girls. She earned the vacation. Right now Nastya is #4 in money won.
She definately falls in that area. Sveta is right behind her now. Sveta will be way ahead for the start of Berlin.

- L i n a -
Mar 25th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Nastya does deserve the vacation. I'm just saying that #3 is very much in sight.

I don't know about comparing Sveta to Nastya, yet. Sveta has to prove she can play at this level for more than 2 weeks.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 04:51 AM
They have had the two best years, and their match was close. But money-wise, I expect Sveta to be in or near the top 5 all year, if she stays healthy.
But Nastya is definately Russian #1.

Vass22
Mar 25th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Nastya is already #4, even if she doesn't win a match this week.

How come?

- L i n a -
Mar 25th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Because Nastya is only 50 points behind Lindsay now...

Lindsay lost 4R of Miami, last year... while Nastya lost her 1st match.

Lindsay isn't playing this year... so even if Nastya loses 1st round again, she'll pass Lindsay.

However, once Sarasota points come off... Nastya will be behind Lindsay again.

cool_olga
Mar 25th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Wow, that's unbeliveble !!!! :banana:
Being #3 is really big thing. How long Nastya will stay there I don't know but I'm not so sure if Amelie won't be defending her Warsaw and Rome points, she hasn't withdrawn yet so maybe she will come back for clay finally. And don't forget about Williams sisters. Now they're coming back and if they are in good shape soon they will take #3 and #4 ranking. Nastya will have to fight with Amelie, Lindsay and Jen for #5... But for upcoming weeks it's going to be great :)
Go Nastya !!!

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:37 AM
just hope Nastya isnt gonna put her shoulder at too much of a risk.
good luck Nastya :)
Nastya doesnt play again until Fed Cup after this event, so has a bit of a breather

also withdrawing from Warsaw too, she wont play a WTA match until May.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Getting to #3 is an accomplishment. Very few players reach that ranking.
I would like to see Nastya reach the semis of a major. At least the semis.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:36 AM
I expect Amelie to be playing by Warsaw. How is Anastasia getting to number 3 guaranteed? she has her sarasota points off next week and Mauresmo has nothing to defend in Miami? Mauresmo also has nothing to defend at Wimbledon where she has been a semi finalist, so for Anastasia to get a consistent position ahead of her in the rankings will be very hard.

Lets not get to excited yet. Anastasia doesn't have big points to defend until later in the year though so that is good, but by then both Williams, Mauresmo, Kim, Capriati etc. should all be back 100%. So it will be tough to defend those points especially with Leipzig now no longer.

I would like to see Nastya reach the semis of a major. At least the semis.

I agree, Anastasia is a top player but there are a lot of girls ahead of her in terms of slam and LA performances also she doesn't have a winning record against anyone in the top 10 at the moment except for Rubin (who is about to fall out), she is even with Dementieva. I have no doubt Anastasia can beat all the girls in the top 10 it is just a matter of consistency and bringing her top game to the court each time she plays them. Anastasia has proven herself against the best indoors, but I'd like to see her do it in a hardcourt match, for instance she couldn't beat Kim at AO even though Kim was playing horrid and on one foot for some of the match, also her match at the US OPen with JHH last year and against her last week, yeah I know she was injured but if it was that serious she wouldn't be playing Miami so I don't take it as an excuse. I know she beat Capriati in Doha and I was so happy but I'm going to be honest and that is Capriati isn't at her best.

I want Anastasia to put in a big slam performance this year I'm not asking her to win one, cause I think that is too much to ask at this stage with JHH at her current form, the Williams coming back, Mauresmo, Kim and Capriati (presuming she comes back) but a semi would be nice. Also with her form indoors a semi in LA I think is definately achievable, she has beaten Kim indoors who has won the title the last two years (albeit back in 2002 unless you count Leipzig last year but I don't count reitrements unless the player is kicking her opponent and there is no doubt she will win, cause a retirement is not a reflection of the match and doesn't mean that the victor was necessarily the better player or likely to win next time)

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Nastya did beat Amelie and Justine last fall. And she has never been better, every year is an improvement.
Will Venus play well? Capriati? Nothing is certain. Amelie has a lot of points to defend before Wimbledon. About 1,100. Nastya about 300.
Lifetime records are misleading. Look at Venus-Justine. It's where your game is now.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Nastya did beat Amelie and Justine last fall. And she has never been better, every year is an improvement.
Will Venus play well? Capriati? Nothing is certain. Amelie has a lot of points to defend before Wimbledon. About 1,100. Nastya about 300.
Lifetime records are misleading. Look at Venus-Justine. It's where your game is now.
I know that but Mauresmo has beat her each time since Moscow, and if your going to go by the its where your game is at now line, then look at IW last week against JHH, apart from their match in Leipzig which Anastasia won, JHH won the big ones, LA, US Open and IW.

Mauresmo is great on clay and if she doesn't defend those point as I said she has like nothing for the grass season and not much in the US either.

I think Caprati will get back to good form I'm not saying number 1 but I think top 5 once she gets over her back problems, I think there is more doubt over Venus but I still think she will be back in the top 5 and same for Serena.

I don't want to argue with you, cause at the end of the day we are both Anastasia fans and want her to play well. I'm just saying I want her to have better perfomances in the slams and LA and against the best players.

A question for you, what do you think Anastasia is capable of in the slams this year and also LA?

- L i n a -
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Nastya is capable of winning a slam... but it's a big step. She hasn't proven herself with any big wins in important tournaments.

First things first... let's get through the early rounds of Roland Garros for the first time.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Nastya lost to Meghann in Dubai. Besides that, she has only lost to top level players in about 10 tournaments.
If Nastya keeps reaching her seeding at tournaments, staying in the top 5 is very doable. Amelie is a very good player. But like Jenn and Lindsay, maybe more injuries come with age.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Nastya withdrew because of a toe she sprained last week at Indian Wells.
Take your time and get healthy. No rushing back.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:51 AM
KEY BISCAYNE, Florida (AP) — An already thin women's field at the Nasdaq-100 Open was further depleted when No. 5-ranked Anastasia Myskina (http://www.foxsports.com/named/Search?categoryId=111560) of Russia withdrew because of a toe sprain on Thursday.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 02:21 AM
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos_rx/myskina_3744_rx.jpg
© Getty Images
http://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gif
Myskina Withdraws from Miami

MIAMI, USA – Russian Anastasia Myskina withdrew from the NASDAQ-100 Open due to a left toe sprain, which she sustained at the Pacific Life Open last week in Indian Wells, Calif.

"I'm so disappointed that I can't play this tournament" said Myskina, ranked No. 5 on the WTA Tour. "I was hoping so much that I would be able to compete, but my toe just hasn't healed enough. I've been here in Miami since Sunday, seeing doctors and getting treatment each day."

Myskina, a seven-time champion on the Tour, was scheduled to make her fourth consecutive appearance at the NASDAQ-100 Open.

"This is such an important tournament. The crowds are always great and the tournament is one of the best on the Tour," Myskina said. "I'm really disappointed for all of the fans and sponsors and am very sad that I can't play here."

Lucky loser Gisela Dulko of Argentina now replaces Myskina in the draw. Dulko just notched a career-best result last week at the Pacific Life Open, reaching the quarterfinals at the Tier I event as a qualifier.

moo_ont
Mar 26th, 2004, 02:45 AM
:( :tears: :crying2: :bigcry:

Thanks GL for the article.

cool_olga, myskina didn't lie. She was really hurt. Don't be disappointed by her not playing in your country. Just wish her healthy and come back strong.

JLDementieva
Mar 26th, 2004, 03:07 AM
:sad: that's really bad news......! But of course I rather see her healthy than playing injured! get well soon Nastya!

- L i n a -
Mar 26th, 2004, 03:25 AM
That's awful for Nastya. :crying2:

Stupid injuries...

Well, at least she won't be losing ground, since nobody above her is playing.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 26th, 2004, 04:21 AM
not good news to wake up to :( :mad:
Nastya :sad: :sad: hope its not too bad.

she had a good draw too.

- L i n a -
Mar 26th, 2004, 04:31 AM
A sprained toe may not sound serious... but it can be a very long injury to deal with.

The good thing is that Nastya wasn't planning to play again until Berlin, so she'll have lots of time to recover.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 26th, 2004, 05:01 AM
A sprained toe may not sound serious... but it can be a very long injury to deal with.

The good thing is that Nastya wasn't planning to play again until Berlin, so she'll have lots of time to recover.

She is playing Fed Cup which is before Berlin.
Does anyone know of any players who have had a similar injury? Like how long it takes to heal?

Wish her the best in her recovery,
more injuries:sad:

Nastya lost to Meghann in Dubai. Besides that, she has only lost to top level players in about 10 tournaments.
If Nastya keeps reaching her seeding at tournaments, staying in the top 5 is very doable. Amelie is a very good player. But like Jenn and Lindsay, maybe more injuries come with age.
I agree with that, and I definately think she can maintain top 5, it will be tough but definately doable:) I guess I'd just like to see her beating the other top players more:p and make a semi of a slam! I think in the future she can win a slam, but at the moment it may be a little too much.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 26th, 2004, 05:16 AM
To cheer us up, here are some pics of Anastasia earlier in the week at the feed the children annual event, they always get one male and one female player to do it and Anastasia did it this year with Lleyton:)

Hope they work:)

Daniel
Mar 26th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Get well!!! :kiss:

Daniel
Mar 26th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Is her ranking in danger? I guess she will be ranked #5 after Miami. :)

- L i n a -
Mar 26th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Nastya will be #5 after Miami... the 1-week stagger will cost her #4, since her Sarasota points will come off.

Then, it depends on how much Amelie and Lindsay play in the upcoming months, if Nastya will reach #3. Nastya has just little points to defend until Wimbledon.

cool_olga
Mar 26th, 2004, 09:00 AM
cool_olga, myskina didn't lie. She was really hurt. Don't be disappointed by her not playing in your country. Just wish her healthy and come back strong.

NO, no, no. I would never say that Nastya lied! In that moment, just after seeing the message I was very disappointed and confused. But I only said she cheated, meaning that she didn't say right explanation, that it wasn't this injury but her wanting to cut the schedule. I would never say anything bad about Nastya.

Now I really see she just wanted to play this big tournament so badly, I'm sad for her she's not able :sad:
But it this long time I hope she will heal it and will be ready for clay season.

moo_ont
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:06 AM
NO, no, no. I would never say that Nastya lied! In that moment, just after seeing the message I was very disappointed and confused. But I only said she cheated, meaning that she didn't say right explanation, that it wasn't this injury but her wanting to cut the schedule. I would never say anything bad about Nastya.

Now I really see she just wanted to play this big tournament so badly, I'm sad for her she's not able :sad:
But it this long time I hope she will heal it and will be ready for clay season.
Sorry for misinterpretation...my bad :smash::banghead: . I know she is your fave, and you were just too disappointed that you won't see her in person.

I think Myskina will come back strong again. She is so determined. Let's hope she will recover from the injury as soon as possible. She has played a lot of matches lately cuz she did so well. She has to be tired, so she also needs some rest.
Sorry again...cool_olga.:wavey:

Vass22
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Does anyone know for sure that Nastya wouldn't play for 4 weeks? If she isn't hurt she should play the first tournament after Nasdaq, that is Amelia Island. Get a wild card or whatever. Two weeks rest are enough to rest, and then after Amelia Island there wouldn't be anything anyway. Nastya play please!

~|Naomi|~
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Nastya will be #5 after Miami... the 1-week stagger will cost her #4, since her Sarasota points will come off.

Then, it depends on how much Amelie and Lindsay play in the upcoming months, if Nastya will reach #3. Nastya has just little points to defend until Wimbledon.

Yeah but even though she has little to defend, it also depends on how much she plays, at the moment before Wimbledon she is only committed to Berlin and the French and I'm guessing her name will be on Eastbourne's committments when they come out.
Mauresmo has added Amelia Island.

Vass22
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:46 AM
even if she has nothing to defend Nastya should try and end some more. Amelie is sure to over take her otherwise.

cool_olga
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Sorry for misinterpretation...my bad :smash::banghead: . I know she is your fave, and you were just too disappointed that you won't see her in person. Sorry again...cool_olga.:wavey:

Exactly :) That's nothing, I shouldn't have even doubt.

Does anyone know for sure that Nastya wouldn't play for 4 weeks? If she isn't hurt she should play the first tournament after Nasdaq, that is Amelia Island. Get a wild card or whatever. Two weeks rest are enough to rest, and then after Amelia Island there wouldn't be anything anyway. Nastya play please!
She always has rest after Miami. She doesn't play American clay tournament. Now it's bit different because she has two weeks more not playing Miami but I don't think there's any chance for her to play those tournaments. As she said, she needs 4 weeks without playing, not just for rest but to heal the injury. So I think we will miss her for some time now

Mathijs
Mar 26th, 2004, 04:45 PM
I have bruised my right toe, so this is very accidentally i think :sad: :eek: . Nastya sprained her toe, i bruised my toe when i almost fell off the stairs the day before yesterday. Strange.... :scratch:

the cat
Mar 26th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Get well wishes to Anastasia and Northernlight on their toe injuries! :)

I wonder if Ana's toe injury put her first round Fed Cup participation in doubt.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 07:53 PM
The chance to be #3 in the world may never be this close again for Nastya. So it's unfortunate timing for this injury.
But injuries happen. Take your time. Skip Fed Cup if you're not 100% then. Health is #1 priority.

Mathijs
Mar 26th, 2004, 08:16 PM
well thanks cat!! it goes better now... :D

cool_olga
Mar 26th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Hehe, funny. Get healthy Northenlight and Nastya !

the cat
Mar 27th, 2004, 12:32 AM
You're welcome, Northernlight. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Daniel
Mar 27th, 2004, 07:58 AM
:bounce:

bubble
Mar 27th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Nastya is very active at the Nasdaq Open.. Appearing almost at every event.. ;)

http://www.tennis.info/images/Nasdaq4/04Thu/SargsianMyskina0139.jpg

Daniel
Mar 27th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Vass22
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Skip Fed Cup if you're not 100% then. Health is #1 priority.
Yeah she should skip it if she's not healthy. It's interesting that Russia would hardly be harmed. Kuznetsova can be on the team now and even without Nastya Russia can white-wash Australia.

Vass22
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:10 PM
I have bruised my right toe, so this is very accidentally i think :sad: :eek: . Nastya sprained her toe, i bruised my toe when i almost fell off the stairs the day before yesterday. Strange.... :scratch:
Wear a kevlar vest and go live in some open space. I don't want a possible Nasya's woodoo doll to get injured. :)

Mathijs
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Wear a kevlar vest and go live in some open space. I don't want a possible Nasya's woodoo doll to get injured. :)
Ok thanks for the advice ;)

Mathijs
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:30 PM
okay enough attention for me :p :lol: . Let's go back to the thread with posts about Nastya :) , i think now it's getting far too :topic:

Daniel
Mar 28th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Vamos Anastasia :worship:
Hello fellow Myskina fans :wavey:

Mathijs
Mar 28th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Hi Daniel :bigwave:

Daniel
Mar 29th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Go Anastasia :kiss:

/Hello Northernlight :wavey: :D

goldenlox
Mar 30th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Nastya has about 330 points to defend before Wimbledon. This would have been a great tournament for Nastya to get to #3 in the world.
But Nastya still has plenty of time to get healthy, and stay in the top 5.

Daniel
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:27 AM
Thanks Goldenlox :)
In www.tenniscorner.net (http://www.tenniscorner.net) they list Myskina ranked #4 over Davenport for next weeks rankings. I dont know why but they also did the same during IW.

cool_olga
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:32 AM
Wow, that's great :), Nastya #4 :woohoo:
Some sites do the rankings that way, standings every day or something like that but I have no idea how...

Daniel
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:56 AM
hey cool olga :wavey:

So far, according to tenniscorner.net

Projected WTA Singles Rankings
(As of March 29, 2004)Pos.Pos.
MovedPlayerPoints# Trn10Justine Henin-Hardenne (http://www.tenniscorner.net/player.php?tour=WTA&playerid=HEJ001) (BEL)7626 (http://www.tenniscorner.net/rankpoints.php?tour=WTA&playerid=HEJ001&type=projected)1820Kim Clijsters (http://www.tenniscorner.net/player.php?tour=WTA&playerid=CLK001) (BEL)6280 (http://www.tenniscorner.net/rankpoints.php?tour=WTA&playerid=CLK001&type=projected)1930Amelie Mauresmo (http://www.tenniscorner.net/player.php?tour=WTA&playerid=MAA001) (FRA)3173 (http://www.tenniscorner.net/rankpoints.php?tour=WTA&playerid=MAA001&type=projected)154+1Anastasia Myskina (http://www.tenniscorner.net/player.php?tour=WTA&playerid=MYA001) (RUS)2950 (http://www.tenniscorner.net/rankpoints.php?tour=WTA&playerid=MYA001&type=projected)235-1Lindsay Davenport (http://www.tenniscorner.net/player.php?tour=WTA&playerid=DAL001) (USA)2943 (http://www.tenniscorner.net/rankpoints.php?tour=WTA&playerid=DAL001&type=projected)146+2Elena Dementieva (http://www.tenniscorner.net/player.php?tour=WTA&playerid=DEE002) (RUS)2591 (http://www.tenniscorner.net/rankpoints.php?tour=WTA&playerid=DEE002&type=projected)257-5Serena Williams (http://www.tenniscorner.net/player.php?tour=WTA&playerid=WIS001) (USA)2379 (http://www.tenniscorner.net/rankpoints.php?tour=WTA&playerid=WIS001&type=projected)58-1Jennifer Capriati (http://www.tenniscorner.net/player.php?tour=WTA&playerid=CAJ001) (USA)2300 (http://www.tenniscorner.net/rankpoints.php?tour=WTA&playerid=CAJ001&type=projected)169+2Nadia Petrova (http://www.tenniscorner.net/player.php?tour=WTA&playerid=PEN001) (RUS)2182.5 (http://www.tenniscorner.net/rankpoints.php?tour=WTA&playerid=PEN001&type=projected)22100Ai Sugiyama (http://www.tenniscorner.net/player.php?tour=WTA&playerid=SUA001) (JPN)2053 (http://www.tenniscorner.net/rankpoints.php?tour=WTA&playerid=SUA001&type=projected)24

cool_olga
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:40 AM
Hey Daniel :wavey:

That's cool, and she's not far behind Mauresmo, if Amelie won't defend her title in Warsaw and Nastya will do well in Berlin who knows :)

goldenlox
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:33 PM
If Elena keeps playing like this week, Nastya will have strong competition for Russian #1.

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:36 PM
Not for a while...

After next week, Nastya will be 750 points ahead still.

goldenlox
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:38 PM
But Nastya has an injury. We don't know when she comes back.

cool_olga
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:42 PM
Well let's hope in Berlin as she said....She was planning to heal it after Miami so after skipping it she got extra two weeks. I hope she'll be back in Berlin. She has Sarasota points to defend, but it's small tournament so doing well in Berlin will replace it, and then she was in quarters in Rome, and later she can earn really lot of points at RG

goldenlox
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:47 PM
Nastya has to make a decision about Fed Cup. Assuming she gets chosen to represent Russia.
It sounds like Safina and Sharapova are playing.

cool_olga
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:50 PM
It's pretty hard to guess whether she's gonna play Fed Cup or not. Because if she said she won't be able to prepare for Warsaw Fed Cup is a week earlier...

Daniel
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:18 PM
Go Anastasia!! :D

Vass22
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
Some Russian sources I read about said that Shamil's taking Nastya and Lena, and of 3 youngsters picks out two. That's a wise thing to do.

Daniel
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:22 AM

goldenlox
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Some Russian sources I read about said that Shamil's taking Nastya and Lena, and of 3 youngsters picks out two. That's a wise thing to do.That leaves out Nadia and Lena L.
Russia can lose this tie. Sveta/Lena L. have to play together in this kind of situation. Sveta needs that. She's 18.

ys
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Some Russian sources I read about said that Shamil's taking Nastya and Lena, and of 3 youngsters picks out two. That's a wise thing to do.
That's a dumb thing to do. Nastya is injured. Elena comes from injury and she had injury related to green clay season in 2 out of 3 last seasons. It would be only wise to leave Dementieva alone for this tie. Her 3 out of 4 last clay seasons were badly affected by injuries, so she doesn't even get a chance to prove everyone that clay is her best surface, as she suggests.. Does he want to make it 4 out of 5?

I am sure that Sveta/Lena L. must be on the team as a doubles combo. plus two out of Sharapova/Safina/Petrova/Zvonareva.

cool_olga
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:57 PM
If not Nastya and Lena D for singles there should be Zvonareva and Sharapova as this tie will not the the hardest one, it's first round

goldenlox
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:57 PM
I don't see Lena D. on this Fed Cup team. If Nastya wants to go, I would take her.

I want Nadia there, not Maria. And Sveta.

cool_olga
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:59 PM
For Nastya definitely, but we don't know how her injury is...but if she's ready then he should take her no matter what, she'd win two singles for them

goldenlox
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:50 AM
I'm sure Nastya is aware that Elena moved up from #8 to #6 in the world. She is right behind Nastya.
It should be quite a competition for Russian #1.

cool_olga
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Yeah, Elena played great tournament. Nasdaq has many points to earn so that poor entry list helped her to make semis for sure. If Nastya played there she would earn many points as well. I think Nastya will still be russian no.1 but now it's more pressure on her I think, while Elena is 6

goldenlox
Apr 5th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Tomorrow the Tennis Channel starts showing their half hour interview with Nastya. I guess it was filmed at the start of Indian Wells.
I'll give a report when I see it.

Daniel
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:37 AM

cool_olga
Apr 6th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Great GL :) That must be really interesting :yeah:

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 09:09 PM
I just watched the interview with Nastya. I have to watch it again. Nastya said she worked with Marat's mom for 10 years. And when Nastya was little, she sometimes used the same can of balls for 2 or 3 months. Because stores didn't sell them.
Nastya likes jigsaw puzzles. In Doha, she and Lena L. spent hours putting them together.
Nastya said when she was ranked about #50 for 3 straight years, she knew she had to either improve or quit.
Nastya said she knows she has to improve her serve and her volleying.

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Nastya also said it was a good learning experience to play a lot of tournaments early in her career. Now she wants to play fewer events, but go deep into each one.
Her favorite shot is the backhand down the line.

TartarVicario
Apr 6th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Impressive interview by Nast :hearts:

She is a smart player :)

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Nastya also said that playing the other Russians are the most important matches because they all want to be on the Olympic and Fed Cup team.
Nastya said that she works very hard, and that's why her ranking has improved so much. Hard work.

Daniel
Apr 7th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Hope the ranking keeps going up and at least one GS goes to her :clap2: :yeah: :D

cool_olga
Apr 7th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Thanks goldenlox !!!!! :) :)
Very cool interview, I agree her backhand down the line is awesome!
Funny thing with puzzles :p I liked it when I was younger but it's fun for sure.
That must be great when Nastya is so close with Lena L., they can spend time at tournaments together :yeah:
Hard work is the best way to improve. Nastya is very smart :)

moo_ont
Apr 7th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks GL, for the report. I do believe Myskina will do well in most tournaments. There is no reason why she can't cut some tournaments off. Wise decision. http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 08:16 PM
The host mentioned that Nastya played 57 tournaments in 2002 and 2003. So Nastya told him that she liked having time off, now that she's older, and she was planning on fewer tournaments for 2004.

~|Naomi|~
Apr 8th, 2004, 02:23 AM
That's a dumb thing to do. Nastya is injured. Elena comes from injury and she had injury related to green clay season in 2 out of 3 last seasons. It would be only wise to leave Dementieva alone for this tie. Her 3 out of 4 last clay seasons were badly affected by injuries, so she doesn't even get a chance to prove everyone that clay is her best surface, as she suggests.. Does he want to make it 4 out of 5?

I am sure that Sveta/Lena L. must be on the team as a doubles combo. plus two out of Sharapova/Safina/Petrova/Zvonareva.

I agree, If I was to pick the Russian team I'd select Anastasia (pending injury), Nadia (she smashed Molik the aussie number 1 in Miami, that should get her on the team as the number 2 singles player), and Svetlana and Elena L for doubles they are the Russian numebr 1 doubles combo and Australia has a good doubles team of Molik/Stubbs. If Anastasia can't play I'd pick Zvonareva to replace her but would probably put Svetlana in singles over her.

goldenlox
Apr 8th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Since Vera was chosen to play in the semifinal, I would take her. Maybe have Sveta and Nadia play doubles.
But I agree with you. The Australian team is too good to bring Dinara or Sharapova.

Daniel
Apr 8th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Vamos Nastya :D

goldenlox
Apr 9th, 2004, 04:40 AM
Nastya is going to come back during the clay court season. So it's important that she waits until she is totally healthy, and fit.
The red clay means long, exhausting matches. You can't rush back. You have to be healthy.

Daniel
Apr 9th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Vamos Anastasia!!!1 :yeah: :worship:

Good luck!!!!! :bounce: :yeah: :clap2: :rocker:

cool_olga
Apr 9th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Yeah on clay is very tough. If the ball hits deep, you gotta get it deep also or you're in trouble. And when on hard courts you would think you hit the winner, here on clay your opponent can slide like 10 feet and get it back and you have to start the point again. You have to be 100% healthy for clay. Nastya is very wise person :yeah:

goldenlox
Apr 9th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Nastya earned a huge amount of points in Leipzig and Moscow last year. Until then, Nastya should have no trouble staying in the top 5. If she has a strong red clay campaign, Nastya can reach #3 in the world.

cool_olga
Apr 10th, 2004, 09:58 AM
That can rather hard as Amelie and Serena are back. But I hope she can do it

goldenlox
Apr 10th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Nastya's interview just was replayed on the Tennis Channel. Nastya said she grew up in an apartment building right next to Spartak. And because she had a lot of energy, Nastya's parents took her there at age 6. That's where she started playing tennis.
Nastya said she looked up to Monica, and when she finally met Monica, Nastya was very excited.
Nastya said she never studied English, but learned how to speak it from travelling around the world.

cool_olga
Apr 10th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Hehe, I think I read about her starting tennis somewhere.
From traveling Nastya learned English very well :eek: She speaks very very good :yeah:
Thanks GL!

cool_olga
Apr 10th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Finally we've finished Anastasia's site :woohoo:
Please visit at www.anastasia-myskina.com

Hope you like it!

Mathijs
Apr 10th, 2004, 08:16 PM
thanks cool_olga for making this website :hug:

JLDementieva
Apr 11th, 2004, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the site!! :worship:
I've been waiting forever for a Nastya website!!! :D:D

Daniel
Apr 11th, 2004, 06:10 AM
Cool olga thanks very much :kiss: :D

cool_olga
Apr 11th, 2004, 07:01 PM
I hope you like it :) I'll do my best to make it interesting :) If anyone could help with writing (previews etc) or anything else I'll be thankful

Almalyk
Apr 12th, 2004, 04:01 AM
What an AWESOME website! I really like it, def. the best Nastya one that I have seen! Just watched the video and read the interviews! Great stuff, really appreciate it.

On another note, does anyone know where Nastya is recovering from her injury? Moscow or Germany? Any news on how it's going? I hope she can fit a couple of matches on clay court before the French Open. She has hardly any points to defend there, so if she goes deep in the draw it will be good for her ranking, and hopefully enable her to stay in the top 5 for quite awhile!

Go Nastya! :bounce:

Daniel
Apr 12th, 2004, 09:45 AM
:Vamos Nastya :D :D

cool_olga
Apr 12th, 2004, 06:17 PM
On another note, does anyone know where Nastya is recovering from her injury? Moscow or Germany? Any news on how it's going?
I don't know but I guess in Moscow...She couldn't been training for some time so she could stay at home. And since she's no longer with Gerlach I think she wanted to be with Stepanov in Moscow, she said she wants to spend more time with him so that was ideal ocasion...So Moscow I think.
Thanks for good notes!

I really wonder how Nastya's clay season will look this year. She wasn't doing well on clay even last year, even went out early in Strasbourg...Now the only big points to defend for her are Rome's QF. I think now she plays much better and she moves so fast so on clay that's advantage. I hope with some good results starting in Berlin she has a chance to stay in top 5 :)

goldenlox
Apr 13th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Nastya has very little to defend before Wimbledon. Leipzig and Moscow are the only tournaments where Nastya will have trouble defending points.
I expect Nastya to do much better on clay, grass, and outdoor U.S. hardcourts this year.

Daniel
Apr 13th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Good luck!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

goldenlox
Apr 19th, 2004, 10:40 PM
I think it works out great that Nastya plays Fed Cup, and then skips Warsaw.
I can see that when a player has time off, it's not good for that player to play all week when they return. It causes more injuries.
So Nastya can play a match or two, have a few days off to recover, and then play Berlin.

goldenlox
Apr 20th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Nastya hasn't played since the Indian Wells semifinals. She had won 8 straight before that match, including Capriati, Sveta, and C. Martinez.

cool_olga
Apr 20th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Hope she's in good shape now and helps Russia to win and then do really well in Berlin.
Go Nastya!!!

goldenlox
Apr 21st, 2004, 04:16 AM
Last year Nastya had a first round bye in Berlin. Then lost to Vera 6-1, 6-2. Nastya has to be patient on red clay.
It's different from that indoor carpet in Moscow.

tenn_ace
Apr 21st, 2004, 04:45 AM
Nastia is the only player I don't expect much on clay... she'd be lucky to get to a QF of any of the red clay tournaments she'll play.

goldenlox
Apr 21st, 2004, 04:48 AM
Nastya's game should be fine for clay. She can run down any ball. She doesn't get a lot of points off her serve. She likes the baseline.
With Nastya, it's mental. She's not patient. If she goes out there knowing she might play 3 hours, she should beat almost everybody.

tenn_ace
Apr 21st, 2004, 04:51 AM
she hits too flat for clay IMO

goldenlox
Apr 21st, 2004, 04:55 AM
But Nastya can play steady. You don't need looping topspin, as long as you keep the ball in play.
Nastya is one of the best players in the world. A slow surface shouldn't hurt her.
And clay plays different, depending on rain, or if it's sunny and windy. Nastya should be able to adapt.
She's one of the steadiest baseline players on the tour.

Daniel
Apr 21st, 2004, 10:19 AM
:bounce: :bounce: Go!!!! :dance:

cool_olga
Apr 21st, 2004, 04:34 PM
I think this year Nastya can do well on clay. Last years she just wasn't taht regular and probably in long rallies you need to hit on clay she was making errors. But she's better player now, she can run very well and I think she should do well if she only is patient

goldenlox
Apr 21st, 2004, 08:22 PM
I've been thing about Nastya at Roland Garros. Her results aren't good, but it should be her best major.
Nastya should walk on court thinking she'll be out there for three hours. And just don't give points away.
I think she should make at least the quarters.

cool_olga
Apr 21st, 2004, 10:00 PM
I hope she won't get Conchota earlier :P She doesn't like her anyway and on clay woul be just so tough

goldenlox
Apr 21st, 2004, 10:10 PM
Nastya has a great record against Conchita. I don't care who Nastya draws. She should get to the quarters, at least.
Just like any other major.

Vass22
Apr 22nd, 2004, 07:01 AM
Quarters just because she's seeded in the top-8.

cool_olga
Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:23 PM
If she makes quarters and have good draw (she will be high seed, something about 5th probably) maybe she's got a chance to make her first SF, now sheshouldn't get someone like Kim because she is higher in the ranking

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 22nd, 2004, 06:33 PM
posted by KutiKis & Monica in GM ..... thanx :)

This is taken from the last issue of the French Tennis Mag. Enjoy :)

TM: You quietly improved through the last years, with a lots of discretion. In which circunstances did you discover tennis ?
I was six years old when some family's friends carried me on a court, in the Spartak Moscow. My first coach has been Rausa Islanova, Safin's mother. I stayed with her for 10 years. I can be thankful to her, because i wouldn't be where i am without her work. That's so important what you have been taught at the beginning. I grew up in Moscow without travelling. I always practiced there, and i was pleased with that. Even if it was the best conditions if you compare to somewhere else, it was OK. I had great childhood and adolescence.

TM: How is Marat's mum?
She's a wonderful and good person, as are yhe whole Safin's family. Marat's sister, Dinara, is pretty sweet too. So is Marat of course, i've played the Hopman Cup with him, that was great. But as cause, it's obvious that Rausa was very severe and exigeant. The discipline was the most important for her.

TM: Marat's notalways a discipline's model...
Yes, but that's because he went far away in spain (smile). Seriously, i can assure you that Rausa was very severe, but it was good. All i have now, i'm first thankful to her, and too my today's coach, Jens Gerlach, who helped me to pass some steps.

TM: Where did you exactly live in Russia?
In Moscow, near of the stadium actually. I went there by walking.

TM: What has been the role of your parents re your decision to become a tennis' player ?
An important role. Even if they weren't at all implicated in tennis. But they did everything for me. I'm an unique child, but i haven't been spoilt. My parents have taught me all it could be learnt to a child. My father was a policeman; and he stopped his career to help me. He didn't want to let me alone on the tour. He came with me during 4 years. Now, that's my mother who sometime came with me.

TM: You were 8 years oldwhen the Berin's wall has been destroyed. Which souvenirs do you keep from the former regim of your country?
Everything wasn't bad in Sovietic Union. It was a great system for tennis players i must say. We had to be the best players to be selected in the National Team, and to have the right to travel & the help for the practice. That was simple, clear. Now, there isn't any system, everyone has to find his sponsors. Nothiung is organized, that's sad.
Of course, now, we have liberty.Before, people couldn't earn money, travel or live where they wanted to be. That time is over, the life is different. That's why we see so much girls from the East Countries, that's so great for the tour and everybody i think.

TM: You have succeeded your best year last season. Did you change your preparation before 2003?
I began to work with my new coach, Jens Gerlach, at the end of 2002. I've reached the 3rd round at the US Open, then i won in Bahia, the results came quickly. In December, we worked very hard in Moscow. But the main changement was that my father stopped to carry me on the tour. Without wanting to do it, he put too much pressure on me maybe. And now, i'm feeling better on the court, more free. I play better technically & mentally speaking.

TM: What have been the specifics changements that Jens Gerlach asked you to practice?
He helped me to have confidence in myself.Especially when I play against the best players of the world. Before, I didn't think I could beat them. I don't have to be happy just by reaching the quarters in the big events. Jens has convinced me that I could do much better. I began to put some objectives. I was satisfied to be in the Top 50. But now, I have more ambition, and more than evrything, I enjoy so much the life that I have.

TM: And in your game?
We insisted in the serve. I improved a lot last year, not by searching the power, because i'm not a strenght of the nature (smile), but by trying to have a better rythm and concentration more intense.

TM: Physically, you seem more frailer than the other players...
Yes, generally people who don't know me can't believe that i'm a professionnal tennis' player. In fact, i'm please with it, cause they more think than i'm a model ! Whatevern i don't want to change my physical, i'm happy to be how I am. I'm feeling good in my body. But i'm certain that the most important is to be strong in your head. If you're solid there, you can improve everything.

TM: Yes, but other players generally do that physical's work. Don't you feel disadvantaged?
Everyone has his own choice, his practice's method. Some prefer the power's option, others the speed... The most important is to like what you do. If it's the case, you won't have problems.

TM: And which option did you chose?
I'm slim Ok ? Some try to lose weight, but i'm trying to gain some of it. But not too much, the speed is important for me. It would be a bad choice for me to only improve my power.

TM: You have beaten most of the top players. Which player is the most difficult to play?
Amelie ! It's inbelievable. At the end of the season, i played her in Moscow, Philadelphia, at the fed Cup, and again at the Hopman Cup & Sydney in 2004... I have the impression that i'm only playing her ! I'll be dreaming about her soon in my nightmares. At the Australian Open, i finally arrived to don't draw her, that's a miracle... The problem is that now she knows how to play me against me. She has the keys to beat me. Her coach, Loic Courteau, knows me by heart too. But anyway, Amelie is a great player, but i really hope that i'll beat someday in a big tournament.

TM: Haven't you the feeling that Martina Hingis has been discouraged by the power of the others ?
Martina took the right decision. She wasn't only the number one, she was the sweetest girl of the world too. During years, she's been at the top. An injury didn't let her to give the maximum. It surely emphasized her reflection about the future orientation of the game, always with more power. And after that injury, it would have been hard to come back at her former level. She couldn't be satisfied by being the N°8 or 10. I understand that a girl who has been N°1 don't accept performances who aren't as good as they were before.

TM: What do you feel when you face the Williams' sister?
You feel nothing. (laughing) You just try to play your game.But for me, it's more easy to play them than Amelie. That three of them, it's the Top 3 of the high level. If you're ready to keep the same rythm with the Williams, you can enter on the court, but if it's not the case... With Amélie, it's much harder, because you don't know what she'll do : slice, top shots, go to the net... You've to be at 300% against her ! With Serena, that's the fastest tennis. You've to use her power.

TM: The last 1/2 final against in France in Fed Cup must be a difficult souvenir for you...
The whole week has been fantastic for France. I've never seen played Mary that good. She was inspired, in fire. I gave my maximum. I've beaten Mary after saving a match point, i took a set of Amélie. I'm sure that was some good days for the Russian's tennis. There were suspense and a whole great show. Of course I was sad. All my friends were there. I really gave all I had.

TM: The first tennis ' fan in Russia is Boris Eltsine of course. And you know him..
He's unbelievable, he supported us in every circunstances.Fed and Davis cups, tournaments, he follows everything. He's an amazing man. I know him personally. He was there when i won the Kremlin Cup. I wish him all the best.

TM: You've been also received by Poutine at the Kremlin...
Poutine is even more impressive. He's the President and has a lot of autority. You just have to look at his face... (smile) Of course,world's affairs are more important than tennis for him, but he was very sympathic when he received me with some gymnasts.

TM: An another big moment of the Russian's tennis : Davis Cup won in Paris in 2002. Where were you during the matches?
I've seen the last match. I was at home in Moscow. And that was terrific because during the match, my TV went down. I've called all my friends to help me. But the match was in a pay-for-view. And nobody had it! I finally found someone, jumped in a car to come to see it in a friend's home. It was unbelievable for the nerves. I definitely prefer to be in the court.

TM: Players who came from Russia are generally blondes and tall. But you're dark hair and pretty frail. You're different. Do you like it?
Yes, i like it. I wouldn't like to be caricatured like every "anna's" : Kournikova for sure, Dementieva, Sharapova... I'm a "brunette" and it's great!

TM: Russian players seem now to don't want to look like Anna Kounikova. They say that the most important is to win tournaments. Does Kounikova became a counter-example now?
You know, there are a lots of firms who wish to make money witrh the girls. They want to make profit, like they did it with Anna. And they surely want to do the same thing with Maria (Sharapova). But if they want to win tournaments, they have to forget that, a,d it's not easy...

TM: What do you think about Kournikova's career?
I know her very well. But we've never talked about that. She knows what she has to do. And she likes the way she lives. What more can I say?

TM: Maria Sharapova seems different, isn't she?
As i said it, if she wants to succeed, she has to make abstractions about things which turned around tennis. She's capable to do it, and I find she's a lots of people around her to care about it : her father, her agents.She seems decided...

TM : You're the Number one in Russia. Is it important for you?
Very important ! I know that Elena Dementieva said that it wasn't for her. But for me it is. After Elena and myself, there twelve players who are near and who wish to be at our places. They're very talented. Their level is like an homahe to those who are ahead them. For me it's clear, i want to stay the N°1 Russian until the end of my career ! (laughing)

TM: What do you think about the seedings in Women's tennis, especially about players who come back from injuries? For example, Mauresmo wasn't happy to seed n°5 after Venus Williams n°4...
I'd say sometimes it's not fair. They want to protect at the maximum the top players. Sometimes, it can't be to the detriment of other players, even if they're at the top too. It has been the case for Amelie. But we're outthere to play. If you're strong and well prepared, yopu don't have to care about the draw. But it's just that there's a big difference by being seeded N°4 Or 5.

TM: You've been injured for a long time and had an operation. ow did you go through that ?
During 4 months after the operation (left wrist), i couldn't do anything. That was horrible, becuase i had the feeling i could go to practice again, but the doctors didn't say it was the time to do it. And i made the error to don't listen them . I played too much sooner and i've been injured at the same wrist. It restarted again. I haven't played then for 7 months. But the most difficult was when i came back on the tour. During 5 weeks, only losses at the first round. I even thought to stop, it was too hard. But they continue to support me. when i needed it.

TM : Do you still practice sometimes near of Los Angeles?
No, i did it before, 3 or 4 times by year. Now i prefer to only practice in Moscow.

TM: Do you like United States?
No. It's hard. The worst is when you have to spend there 2 months in-a-row, far of your friends and family. The food for example is terrific : only fast foods. So i go the Japanese restautrant when i'm there. I love sushis. If i'd the choice, i'd never go there there again. You can resume my thoughts like that.

TM: What's your favourite surface & your favourite tournaments?
I prefer clay. And i particularly like to play in Roland Garros. I love Paris.

TM: But this tournament haven't bring you luck : you only won 1 match for 4 particpations !
Yes, and i don't know why. That's the Slam where i never did better than a second round. It's unbelievable. You know what ? I think it's because of Paris. That's the love's city. And i've too much love in my head, it bothers me ! (laughing) Ok, i forgot tennis... Seriously, the atmosphere of the tournament is fantastic., and i really hope to play better next times.

TM: What are your main goals in 2004?
I'd like to to do at least, quarters at every Slam minimum. I hope semi-finals and even better. It's difficult, the competition is hard. In Australia, i've to face Sharapova at the third round. It's hard.

TM: With your new ambitions, don't you be afraid to put on yourself too much pressure?
I try to don't. But you have to put some goals, especially if you want to be at the top. Basiaclly, you take match after match. That's what i do.

TM: What's the best part of a life's professionnal's tennis player?
To travel, discover countries and people. This is weird because i often need to come back in Moscow.

TM: And the worst part?
To travel (laugh). Finally, you have to pay the other face of the medal. Sometimes, deplacements are too much.

TM: The fact that you're now knew,. Do you sometimes feel in insecurity, because of your new notoriety, in Russia or somewhere else?
In danger, no. It's true that i try to don't be alone. But i don't care that much about it. I've a good nature and i like to have fun with people.

TM: Do you think that the question of doping is important in tennis, and that we've to care much about it in WTA Tour?
Definitely. Everyone has to be careful with it. To check every medicaments that you take. My doctor is always with me; and he knows what i am allowed or not to take. But we're controlled a ot on the tour :last year i've controled twice during Fed Cup, and on the whole of the last season, more than ten times i think. It's a lot. But there isn't mistery : if you have nothing to reproach to yourself, you have no problems.

TM: Which players do you prefer to watch on ATP ?
I love to watch Roger Federer. He's a great player. All he does is sensationnal. Forehand, backhand, everything. Physically speaking, i'd say Todd Reiid, the young Australian (laughing).

TM: You've already succeeded a lots of things. But what's your absolute dream?
To have a happy life after my career. It's a difficult moment i think, to discover yourself, alone, after the intense competition. Top happy after that, it's a great challenge.

tenn_ace
Apr 22nd, 2004, 06:51 PM
she prefers clay? god, do you know yourself, Nastya? ;)

really great interview! :kiss:

thanks TBE

goldenlox
Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:19 PM
Nastya has a good outlook on life -

TM: You've already succeeded a lots of things. But what's your absolute dream?
To have a happy life after my career. It's a difficult moment i think, to discover yourself, alone, after the intense competition. Top happy after that, it's a great challenge.

goldenlox
Apr 23rd, 2004, 01:13 AM
TM: Do you like United States?
No. It's hard. The worst is when you have to spend there 2 months in-a-row, far of your friends and family. The food for example is terrific : only fast foods. So i go the Japanese restautrant when i'm there. I love sushis. If i'd the choice, i'd never go there there again. You can resume my thoughts like that.

Daniel
Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:13 AM
Thanks, nice interview, the more i read it, the more i love Myskina :kiss: :worship:

cool_olga
Apr 23rd, 2004, 03:36 PM
Great interview !!!! Kisses for translators!
I lovereading her interviews :) She's so smart :yeah:

cool_olga
Apr 24th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Anastasia gave Russia 1-0 lead. She beat Stosur 6-4 6-1 !!!!! :woohoo:
Nastya broke her 6 times and was roken twice. First serve in is 69%, pretty good :)
It was 4-4 in first set and then Nastya won 8 of next 9 games. She showed who's better!!! Bravo !!! :yeah:

~|Naomi|~
Apr 24th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Nice comeback for Nastya from her toe injury and a nice comfortable win. Hopefully Kuznetsova can keep it up. 69% of first serves in is very good:) She probably had to much firepower and experience for Stosur and the end of the first set and then just started to roll and open her arms freely and Stosur couldn't match her:)

Good Luck for you match against Molik tomorrow Anastasia.

Also guys I have an article of Anastasia from australian tennis magazine last month and I have been meaning to type it out but I have had exams I will do it over the next few days:) There is nothing really new in it but still I thought it was great to see her getting recognised cause I think she is not giving the respect she deserves and is overlooked too much:(

goldenlox
Apr 24th, 2004, 04:15 PM
It's great that Nastya is healthy again, and back on the court. Now she has a tough match against Molik.
Then Nastya can rest, and be ready for the red clay and for Berlin.

goldenlox
Apr 24th, 2004, 10:47 PM
http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/FC_1070_gallery.JPG
Anastasia Myskina (RUS)
http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/FC_1077_gallery.JPG

goldenlox
Apr 25th, 2004, 01:21 AM
http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/FC_1072_gallery.JPG
Anastasia Myskina (RUS)
http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/FC_1071_gallery.JPG

Daniel
Apr 25th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Go Anastasia :D :D

goldenlox
Apr 25th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Nastya lost to Molik 3-6, 3-6. Russia won the tie 4-1. Nastya takes this week off, then plays Berlin.

cool_olga
Apr 25th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Pity she lost to Molik...Now I just hope she is healthy and it was accident. I think she will play well in Berlin.

goldenlox
Apr 25th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Nastya lost to Meghann in Dubai, so I knew this was possible. Back after a layoff. But the rest of the team was strong.
In Berlin, Nastya will have to stay focused. And play steady.

goldenlox
Apr 26th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Nastya in Moscow -

http://boxmail.biz/constructor/img/101017.jpg

http://boxmail.biz/constructor/img/101016.jpg

Daniel
Apr 28th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Vamos!!!!!!

:worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :) :clap2: :bigclap: :hug: :yeah:

~|Naomi|~
Apr 29th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Here is the Australian Tennis Magazine Article I said I would post:) It is from the 2004 March Edition

Nice… with spice!

Sweet but sassy, sporting but stormy…it’s all part of the intrigue of Russia’s top-ranked woman. By Vivienne Christie.

Anastasia Myskina arrives at out pre-arranged interview with her arm dangling happily around the WTA Official who has arranged the meeting. She smiles her way through an introduction and insists she’s in no rush, despite the demands that can accompany a business-end showing in a Grand Slam (Myskina was on her way to her second Australian Open quarter finals appearance in as many years).

It appears that the 22-year-old Russian is a genuinely nice girl – off the court at least. Days later, the intriguing Myskina is explaining herself after a stormy fourth-round match against Chanda Rubin, in which she vented her frustrations towards hapless coach Jens Gerlach on the sidelines.

“I’m really tough girl on the court, really nice off the court,” she surmises, adding that she always apologises to her coach for such outbursts afterwards. Gerlach, her former boyfriend, is definitely no stranger to Myskina’s tantrums. He apparently left one of her matches in disgust at a tournament in Canada last year.

“But he knows me really well,” Myskina points out. “He knows that I (don’t) really mean it, the whole thing that happens on the court. He knows that I’m really emotional. But it’s only on the court.”

Certainly, it seems hard to believe that this is the same girl who reportedly ran around the stands with a bucket of lollies after teaming with compatriot Nadia Petrova for a “quick doubles” match against some local junior players at the 2001 Bausch & Lomb Championships. Or the same girl who is taking all the time and effort that is necessary to explain, in her careful English, that her rise to become Russia’s top-ranked player has not been without challenges.

Much has been made of the adversities that players from the former Soviet Union have overcome in becoming such a veritable force on the WTA tour- ranging from the troubling conditions to inadequate facilities and the dispiriting notion of having to forfeit prizemoney and incentives to the communist government.

Myskina, an only child who started playing at age six after visiting a local tennis club with her parents, managed to avoid many of those problems, having made the transition to professional status after the communist state had crumbled. But she remembers the difficulties of not being able to travel easily as a junior and says that like many of her compatriots on tour, she has learned to value aspects of her career that others may take for granted. “We can do whatever we want to do. We can practice in the United States if you want, or it doesn’t matter where. We can practice anywhere. And just have freedom,” she explains.

There’s little doubt that Myskina has done the hard yards in forging her place on tour after being discovered by Raouza Islanova, the mother of Marat Safin and Dinara Safina, at her parent’s club. “She saw me the first time and she said that I’m not too bad. Not good, but not too bad,” Myskina laughs.

Myskina laughs that the Jekyll and Hyde nature of both herself and Safin is no coincidence. “I think we really worked hard to be here. We really wanted to be one of the best tennis players in the world,” she says. “We are really emotional. Maybe that helps us on the court. We fight, we run, we try to get every point. We are not going to give anything (up).”

Myskina attributes her whipping groundstrokes to Islanova’s sound influence but admits that as a somewhat timid child, her coach’s steely nature was often overwhelming. “I was really quiet when I was little,” Myskina explains. “Maybe that’s why right now everything comes from me.”

The suspect temperament and a shaky second serve are considered by some critics to be Myskina’s biggest on-court weaknesses – not that they have prevented her from making a serious impact on the WTA Tour. The 22-year-old has now collected six singles titles, more than $US 2 million in prize money and is slipping away from the pack as the top-ranked Russian woman.

After a breakthrough season in 2003, in which she won four titles and cracked the world’s top ten, Myskina is looking forward to consolidating her success with even bigger things. “The last year was amazing for me…I look forward to this year. I hope everything will be the same or even better.”

The Russian’s main goals are to improve on her previous-best Grand Slam results of quarter-final showings at the Australian and US Opens and to break into the world’s top five. It’s a far cry from two years ago, when she was considering quitting the tour completely following surgery to her wrist. “Obviously I am happy now because it took almost a year just to come back. At one point I really wanted to quit because I couldn’t win a match,” she recalls.

Immensely proud, Myskina takes particular pleasure in having risen to the top of such a hotbed of tennis talent. “It’s one of my gaols to stay number one in Russia because there’s a lot of good players beneath me. If you are number one in Russia you have confidence that you are a good player,” she says.

Until recently, Myskin’s proudest moment was representing Russia t the Sydney Olympics. “It was unbelievable, the moment when I was in the opening ceremony. The whole world is watching you and watching how you walk through the stadium, how you present your country,” she remembers.

But even that memory was overshadowed when Myskina became the first Russian player to win the Moscow tournament last year, prompting former President Boris Yeltsin to rush on to the court to offer his congratulations. “Winning that was just everything,” Myskina says. “Even more than the Grand Slams I just really wanted to win that title. I’ve become more popular I guess in Russia after the tournament.”

In fact, Myskina’s fan base is not just growing in Russia but throughout the entire world – thanks largely to the fact that se rivals Kim Clijsters as one of the nicest and most accessible players on tour. Boosting her offcourt profile through that still-talked about GQ photo spread, which saw her posing naked on a horse, hasn’t hurt either. Myskina says she has no regrets. “It was something completely fresh and I think it was a good experience, especially for me. My mum was a little be shocked and my father was surprised because he thought it was going to be something to do with tennis, and it was completely different. But I think all my friends liked it. They told me they liked it, anyway.”

But unlike other high-profile Russians who dabble in modelling, Myskina has not intentions of giving up her Moscow base for the glamorous life. “I like to spend as much time as possible in Russia because all my family and friends are there,” she emphasises.

Just as starts to explain that she also likes to spend her spare time with other Russians on tour, Kim Clijsters wanders past to say hello. Later in the week the pair meet in the pressure packed Australian Open quarter-finals. Myskina is clearly frustrated after an error-riddled performance sees her lose in straight sets, but is gracious, nevertheless in her praise of Clijsters afterwards.

There’s that on-court, off-court paradox again. It’s all part of the appeal of Russia’s top-ranked woman.

goldenlox
Apr 29th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the article. Berlin will be Nastya's first tournament since Indian Wells. She still has a big chance to get to #3 in the world.
I want Nastya to have a big spring on the clay.

Daniel
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the interview, she is adorable :kiss:

cool_olga
May 1st, 2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the interview Naomi. with being her #3 GL I think right now it's not much chance, if she stays in top 5 this is still good

goldenlox
May 1st, 2004, 04:48 PM
Nastya's draw in Berlin -

Capriati Jennifer USA Bye
(WC) Schruff Julia GER vs. Qualy
Schiavone Francesca ITA vs. Mandula Petra HUN
Safina Dinara AUS vs. Farina Elia Silvia ITA
Schnyder Patty SUI vs. Hantuchova Daniela SVK
Qualy vs. Black Cara ZIM
Qualy vs. Pisnik Tina SLO
Myskina Anastasia RUS Bye

~|Naomi|~
May 2nd, 2004, 07:43 AM
I think this is a good draw. It is definitely easier than Kim's and Kim is the top seed:o Anastasia is in the easier half hopefully she can put it together and take advantage of that and gain confidence on the clay for Roland Garros

Daniel
May 2nd, 2004, 09:20 AM
Indeed, she has a relative easy draw, i dot think Shnyder or capriati could bother her on clay. I am looking forward to see Myskina vs. Sveta in semis and hopefully Nastya in the finals.

Good luck my dear Anastasia :worship: :bounce: :yeah:

goldenlox
May 2nd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Nastya won 8 straight matches before losing to Justine at Indian Wells. This is her first tournament since then.
Nastya has to play these red clay matches with the attitude that she might be on court for three hours.
Play steady, don't get frustrated. Stay calm.

Nastya plays doubles with Vera -

Li / Sun vs Myskina / Zvonareva
Krizan / Srebotnik vs Kostanic / Tartarova

cool_olga
May 2nd, 2004, 04:08 PM
OMG, Nastya and Vera in doubles together :rolls: That's a boom team :P Knowing what Nastya does on court when she is mad and now sawing what Vera does I can imagine how funny will be their matches :P Here at least Lena was trying to calm Vera down, what now? lol

I think Nastya has a big chance here. Getting so nice draw is very good for her as she is coming back after long break. She doesn't like clay but I truly belive that in this tournament she's got a chance to be in final.
UDACHI !!!

goldenlox
May 2nd, 2004, 05:56 PM
Nastya's draw -

Gagliardi vs. Black
Kostanic vs. Pisnik Tina SLO

goldenlox
May 2nd, 2004, 11:34 PM
Nastya has a chance to get to #3 in the world this week -

It appears Amelie Mauresmo is probably safe at #3 for another week -- but barely. She has 161 points from last year's semifinal to defend, and leads Lindsay Davenport by 171 points. An early loss will leave them nearly tied. And there is Anastasia Myskina to worry about. Myskina is about 350 points behind Mauresmo, with nothing to defend (though she has points in her seventeenth tournament). If Myskina can make the final, she has a shot at overtaking both Davenport and Mauresmo.

Gagliardi vs. Black
Kostanic vs. Pisnik Tina SLO

~|Naomi|~
May 3rd, 2004, 01:52 AM
Nastya has a chance to get to #3 in the world this week -

It appears Amelie Mauresmo is probably safe at #3 for another week -- but barely. She has 161 points from last year's semifinal to defend, and leads Lindsay Davenport by 171 points. An early loss will leave them nearly tied. And there is Anastasia Myskina to worry about. Myskina is about 350 points behind Mauresmo, with nothing to defend (though she has points in her seventeenth tournament). If Myskina can make the final, she has a shot at overtaking both Davenport and Mauresmo.
I hope Anastasia can get to number 3 but the problem is that Mauresmo is also in Anastasia's half and has a good draw, if Maresmo plays to her true red clay form and ability she should be in the final. Let's hope Anastasia can pull the surprise though:)

goldenlox
May 3rd, 2004, 01:55 AM
Mauresmo should not be losing to Schiavone. Something's not right with her.
I think Nastya will have a big chance if they meet. And that match could determine it.
But I think Nastya will get there at some time this spring.

~|Naomi|~
May 3rd, 2004, 03:34 AM
Perhaps Mauresmo's back is still troubling from her injury at AO this year. But she played very well at Amelia Island and Fed Cup so Warsaw could just have been a hiccup. I'm just trying to not get too excited about Anastasia's chances cause every time I think something great is going to happen to one of my favourites, it doesn't:o So I will just try to not get my hopes up.

Anastasia could have a tough second round match with Kostanic possibly, Kostanic took a set of Kim at Fed Cup on clay, okay it was Kim's first match in about 6 weeks and Kim won the other two sets 6-1 6-1:p But Kostanic is good on clay

goldenlox
May 3rd, 2004, 03:38 AM
Nastya has much fewer points to defend than Mauresmo. And Mauresmo hasn't done anything special this year.
I know Nastya wants to play her. Nastya is still improving. Everyone will see this summer.

Daniel
May 3rd, 2004, 08:13 AM
Mauresmo, will lose early, losing to Schiavone last week is not good, and before she faces Nastya, she has to meet Sveta.

cool_olga
May 3rd, 2004, 10:51 AM
Perhaps Mauresmo's back is still troubling from her injury at AO this year.

Well she said she's 00% healthy now and injury is completely healed. She said she is ready to play her best. I think she lost because she maybe was even too confident. She hadn't got any special plan for this match at the end when Schiavone's balls were in ad hers aut. But it could be acident. We all know how good she is on clay. In tjis interview with vera she said that Nastya always says she hates Roland Garros. I don't know if that means that she doesn't likeplay on clay or something. But Nastya is very good right now and i think she will be okay.
Mauresmo will have tough time with sveta first, that's true. If in this match she doesn't play her best she might lose this one

KV
May 3rd, 2004, 02:56 PM
Good luck in Berlin

goldenlox
May 3rd, 2004, 08:36 PM
Nastya/Vera won 6-4, 6-4. Nastya plays Kostanic in the second round.
She is a good clay court player. She mixes spins and pace, hits drop shots, covers the court.
Nastya will be have to be very focused for this match.

cool_olga
May 3rd, 2004, 09:44 PM
I missed Nastya for this time. I'm happy she's finally back :worship:

http://www.red2proserver.de/mcgo2003/fotoarchiv/fotogalerie/03052004/0305myskina_IMG_4020.JPG

http://www.red2proserver.de/mcgo2003/fotoarchiv/fotogalerie/03052004/0305myskina_IMG_4139.JPG

goldenlox
May 4th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Nastya beat Kostanic in Doha 2002. But she is much improved. I still think Nastya will win.
But she has to be very patient.

Gowza
May 4th, 2004, 02:04 AM
kostanic is a tough player on clay but nastya can do it

Daniel
May 4th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Good luck!!! :worship:

Mathijs
May 4th, 2004, 03:01 PM
GO Nastya, you can beat Jelena i'm sure of it!!! :worship:

goldenlox
May 4th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Nastya is the only Russian on Centre Court tomorrow, and 8 are playing.
Stay patient, Kostanic can be frustrating like Conchita.
Don't force it. When you have openings, go for them. But stay patient.

goldenlox
May 5th, 2004, 12:39 AM
I want Nastya to have a big season on red clay. She has to remember that she has improved since last spring. She is a better player now.
Nastya can win these matches on clay this year. She should go into each match with confidence.

Daniel
May 5th, 2004, 10:15 AM
GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :bounce: :worship: :yeah: :D

cool_olga
May 5th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Yep Nastya can do it !! :yeah:
Kostanic is left handed, can be tough with her sometimes on clay.
Shit, Nastya plays 4th and Eurosport shows just 3 matches :mad: I would love to see Nastya and her game now after injury and on clay, she has to be patient.
Udachi!

cool_olga
May 5th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Nastya won first set 6-2 !! That's great remembering it's her first set on clay this year. Many best players were struggling in first sets, even Venus, Kim, Justine. Nastya won it 6-2. It's a good sign

Now 3-3 in second

cool_olga
May 5th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Nastya won a match !! 6-4 in second set. She brok at 4-4
Good job Nastya for the forst match !!!!

TheBoiledEgg
May 5th, 2004, 06:05 PM
well done Nastya :D :)
good solid win ;) :banana: :)

good luck tomorrow vs Patty

goldenlox
May 5th, 2004, 08:25 PM
I'm glad Nastya was able to win in 2 sets. Nastya has a tough match tomorrow with Schnyder.
Stay patient. Don't lose your focus.
Later Nastya/Vera play Kostanic/Tatarkova.

Mathijs
May 5th, 2004, 09:50 PM
WD Nastya well played good luck in the next round!!! :bounce: :bounce:

goldenlox
May 6th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Schnyder beat Nastya 6-1, 6-1 in Linz last year. So Nastya will have to bring her best tennis.

ys
May 6th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Schnyder beat Nastya 6-1, 6-1 in Linz last year. So Nastya will have to bring her best tennis.
It was tank..

goldenlox
May 6th, 2004, 03:19 AM
In Charleston Patty beat Lindsay 6-3, 6-2, and Elena D. 6-3, 6-1.
Nastya has to be ready to play her best.

JLDementieva
May 6th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Good Luck Nastya! :yeah:

~|Naomi|~
May 6th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Schnyder beat Nastya 6-1, 6-1 in Linz last year. So Nastya will have to bring her best tennis I had forgotten that match:o They have never played on clay which is Schnyder's best surface:o oh well I know Anastasia can do it:)

Almalyk
May 6th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Good Luck against Patty tommorrow! I hope that you will play your best tennis... It's obvious that you are the better player... so bring that to the court tommorow! :kiss:

Daniel
May 6th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Vamos!!!!! :worship:

Good luck!!!!!

http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/notworthy.gif http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/bounce.gif http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/notworthy.gif http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/bounce.gif http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/notworthy.gif http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/bounce.gif http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/notworthy.gif http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/bounce.gif http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/notworthy.gif http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/bounce.gif

Daniel
May 6th, 2004, 02:01 PM
she advance to the QF easily, Schnyder withdrew cause of injury.

Good luck against Capriati!!! :worship:

cool_olga
May 6th, 2004, 02:59 PM
I don't know if it is good for Nastya that Patty retired...I gues she would win that match anyways but she would get some rhythm and more game. She has played only one match on clay and against Jennifer will be very tough now. Capriati plays really well on clay. She didn't show anything special vs Sharapova today but point for her for fighting.
Nastya will play doubles today so I hope taht will help, she has also trainings.
For tomorrow she has to be well prepared and has to be patient. I guess Capriati is not able to run too much because of her current weight but still Nastya has to do her best.
Udachi !!! :)

cool_olga
May 6th, 2004, 06:55 PM
You can read preview for this match on my site here: http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/multi.php?pokaz=main/article.php?aid=17

goldenlox
May 6th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Nastya and Vera are up 4-1 in doubles. Nastya has to be very patient tomorrow. Capriati will play much better than Doha.
The court might play slow, differently from the Kostanic match. Nastya has to be ready for a long match. Don't try to end points with low percentage shots.
Capriati played a long match today. Keep her working tomorrow.

JLDementieva
May 7th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Capriati is going to be motivated in this match against Nastya since she won a pretty tight match against Sharapova today. And looks like Capriati is finally playing better tennis, so Nastya has to be careful out there! Go Nastya, you can do it!

Daniel
May 7th, 2004, 08:20 AM
VAMOS ANASTASIA!!!!!
:bounce: :yeah: :worship: :bounce: :bounce: :yeah: :worship: :bounce:

Almalyk
May 7th, 2004, 09:33 AM
GOOD LUCK AGAINST JENNY CAP NASTYA!! I KNOW YOU CAN WIN THIS BUT BE PATIENT! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Almalyk
May 7th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Hey JLDEMENTIEVA!!!!

I was just interested to know what Tracy Austin said about Anastasia and the top 5? I saw it in your signature, but I am not from the US so have no idea what it was.

If you have spare time could you post it here? Thanks! :wavey:

cool_olga
May 7th, 2004, 12:16 PM
All the time raining in Berlin...Girls were up to play and after two games it started again. It's 1-1 now with two breaks. Nastya runs so fast, I can see now that on slow clay it will be extremely tough to finish her, really. She gets to good drop shots then to very good strokes on the baseline. If she just doesn't make errors she should win.
She made a great action and has ball on easy drive volley but hit to the net, she got angry a bit and then lost her serve game.
Hope rain will stop soon and I can see whole match on tv.
Good luck Nastya, play your game

Daniel
May 7th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Good luck Anastasia!!! :worship: