PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Athletic Anastasia Myskina !!!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87

cool_olga
Jul 5th, 2004, 10:12 PM
She must do well in San Diego and Montreal, guess Belgians are coming back to US Open, aren't they?

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Justine is coming back. I don't think Kim will make it. Amelie, Lindsay, Maria, the sisters - it will be a good field.
Nastya can't be losing to Frazier at the majors.

Nastyafan
Jul 5th, 2004, 10:27 PM
Belgians at USO?
Is there a new information? I knew Kim is out till late september and Justine was questionable for USO

goldenlox
Jul 5th, 2004, 10:36 PM
I think Justine will be healthy in time.

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Nastya will be 23 on July 8. This was quite a year. The first Russian to win a major. The highest ranked Russian so far, reaching #3, now #4.
This next year can be even better.

Verba
Jul 6th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Good luck to Nastya!!! :D :wavey: :hearts:
Hope she achieves all she wants...and you, her fans, want... ;)

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 03:30 AM
What I want is the US Open and world #1 for 2004.
And the gold medal. But if Sveta or Lena gets the gold, that's great too.

Verba
Jul 6th, 2004, 03:39 AM
What I want is the US Open and world #1 for 2004.
And the gold medal.
Ambitious! ;)
Very good wishes! I think they coicide with Nastya's wishes... :D

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Dream big. Especially when you're as talented as Nastya is.

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Nastya has a real shot at #1 for 2004 -

Secure points through the US Open

1. Mauresmo: 3586
2. Myskina: 3460
3. Justine: 3441
4. Clijsters: 2815
5. Dementieva: 2329

Daniel
Jul 6th, 2004, 09:17 AM
I ade calculations and well, she needs to reach QF or better in San Diego and Roger, both are tier I, and Mauresmo has to lose early in those tournaments. According to my math :o Mauresmo will be #2 soon. I dont know if she is playing Sopot for sure, if she is she only has 39 pts to defend so she coudl get the title theere and add more points and since the Olympics is next then it could be a good preparation. I dont think Justine is coming back for the US Open, she might be back for the start of the indoor season.
Godd luck anastasia and wish you a wonderful birthday!!!! :kiss:

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Nastya will celebrate her birthday in Argentina -

http://www.ole.clarin.com/diario/2004/07/06/f036ah01.jpg
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2004/07/06/fotos/t054dh01.jpg

Daniel
Jul 6th, 2004, 09:55 AM
She is so beautiful in the second pic :hearts: :kiss:

cool_olga
Jul 6th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Great pics, so she plays Fed Cup, well it's not necessary but in two days her BD :yeah: What about giving her something from fans?

Nastyafan
Jul 6th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Nastya looks so fresh and cool on the second pic:cool: :kiss:
But has she made her hair lighter or it seems only so:confused:
It's a great idea, Ola - to give her something from fans, but have you direct contact with her, and what can we send - greeting cards, someone to compose a poem....;)

cool_olga
Jul 6th, 2004, 12:12 PM
I wil have my ways but we would have to do this very fast ;)

I was thinking maybe about a book with all messages? I would buy nice small book and wrote separate message on each page from everybody. What do you think? I know few people who gave that kind of birthday books to players.

Nastyafan
Jul 6th, 2004, 12:55 PM
I approve.:yeah:
But I guess you are going to hand her the book in Sopot;)
I don't think we have enough time till her birthday

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Is Nastya really playing Sopot? She has to schedule her events like a champion does.
She has to assume each tournament will be a long, hard week.

cool_olga
Jul 6th, 2004, 04:48 PM
No no Sopot is too unsure. I was thinking about giving this to her during Acura Classic but we would need many messages for now I just see me, Nastyafan and GL.

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Her birthday is Thursday. I'll write my happy birthday message here.

Nastyafan
Jul 6th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Maybe it's better to start a separate thread in RR and on Thursday in GM There are many her fans there who never write here:confused:

cool_olga
Jul 6th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Started here and there ;)

Daniel
Jul 7th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Cool olga very good idea :kiss: :yeah:

anastasia,
I wish you a very wonderful Happy Birthday!!!! :hug: :kiss: :smooch: Wish you the best in your tennis career and personal life. Wish you lots of blessings and only good things for you, my cute little angel Anastasia Myskina :kiss: :hearts:

Daniel
Jul 7th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Good luck!!!!! :D :clap2: :dance: :banana:

JLDementieva
Jul 7th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Anastasia, wish you have a Happy Birthday! And the best of luck to you in everything that you do! Because you deserve nothing but the best! :D Go have fun girl!

deckham
Jul 7th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Happy 23rd Nastya... enjoy yourself, watch How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days or something that makes you laugh :lol: and listen to some Pink... hehehe...

Whatever it is, have fun and we'll all be rooting you on no matter what the occasion....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.... :bounce:

Nastyafan
Jul 7th, 2004, 08:21 PM
midnight in Moscow so:
:aparty: :bdaycake: :aparty: С ДНЕМ РОЖДЕНИЯ :aparty: :bdaycake: :aparty:
:kiss: :inlove: :hearts: НАСТЯ:hearts: :inlove: :kiss:

http://www.startua.com/blin/pix/7713.jpg

:banana: :worship: :bounce: HAPPY BIRTHDAY NASTYA:bounce: :worship: :banana:

deckham
Jul 7th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Nice touch Nastya fan... i hope she sees that.... :)

How creative of you... hehehe

AKTW
Jul 7th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Happy birthday Nastya! Have fun! Have a terrific day!

cool_olga
Jul 7th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Happy birthday !!!!!!
All the best Nastya we love you :)
Enjoy your party :p
Thanks for all you've done this year and not only for your fans and keep it up!

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Happy birthday Anastasia! I hope this year is your best year ever, on and off the court!

Nastyafan
Jul 8th, 2004, 12:10 AM
:aparty: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#)Happy birthday С днем рождения Happy birthday С днем рождения Happy birthday С днем рождения :aparty: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#)
:aparty: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#)С днем рождения Happy birthday С днем рождения Happy birthday С днем рождения Happy birthday:aparty: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#)
:aparty: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#)Happy birthday С днем рождения Happy birthday С днем рождения Happy birthday С днем рождения:aparty: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#)
:aparty: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#)Happy birthday С днем рождения Happy birthday С днем рождения Happy birthday С днем рождения :aparty: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#)
:aparty: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#)С днем рождения Happy birthday С днем рождения Happy birthday С днем рождения Happy birthday :aparty: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#)
:aparty: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#)Happy birthday С днем рождения Happy birthday С днем рождения Happy birthday С днем рождения:aparty: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=12#)

picture from Nastya's party:bdaycake:

Daniel
Jul 8th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Happy Birthday Anastasia!!!! :kiss: :clap2: :hug: :bounce: :dance: :banana:

Muchas felicidades!!!

cool_olga
Jul 8th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Lol, nice make up :lol:

saab95
Jul 8th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Happy birthday !
All the best Nastya & good luck with you.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 8th, 2004, 04:25 PM
happy birthday Nastya :D :)
good luck and best wishes :kiss:

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Okay, birthday's over. Back to work. Nastya now has a real challenge for Russian #1.
It will take a strong focus for Nastya to win an Olympic medal, and maintain her position as the best Russian woman.

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2004, 10:16 PM
"Russia has always had great athletes," Kournikova added. "Now there is so much more opportunity for athletes over there to play and travel. I think it's great that they have more opportunity because it's great for the game. I was very happy to see Myskina win the French Open. We played together when we were young and have remained very close friends.

Nastyafan
Jul 8th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Very nice words from Anna. She requites for Nastya's statement about Anna's role for Russian tennis.:hug:

But the birthday isn't over yet. I guess the party in Argentina is just now:aparty: :dance: :bdaycake:

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Nastya has to stop partying sometime. Lots of work ahead for the Russian #1.

Nastyafan
Jul 9th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Well, birthday is already over.
It seems Nastya will play Natalia Gussoni tomorrow. I hope it will be the only match she will have to play there.
Go Nastya, start your 24th year with a convincing win and show Argentineans why you are the empress of the clay:kiss: :yeah:

Nastyafan
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Nastya plays second vs. Gussoni

http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/FC_1313_gallery.JPG

Good luck girl!:kiss: :wavey:

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:14 PM
After Fed Cup, Nastya's next tournament is San Diego, July 26-August 2. Justine, Serena, Venus, Maria, Amelie, and Lindsay are also playing San Diego.

Nastyafan
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:22 PM
I don't think Justine will play there and maybe one Williams will withdraw, but anyway the competition will be very strong

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:30 PM
With Fed Cup and the Olympics, this U.S. hardcourt season doesn't mean much until Queens.

ys
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:39 PM
With Fed Cup and the Olympics, this U.S. hardcourt season doesn't mean much until Queens.
It still means a lot. Nastya can reach #1. It is her last period of time with no points to defend.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:44 PM
If it meant a lot Nastya would be in Stanford. Sveta and Vera would play Fed Cup.

Verba
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:46 PM
I'm sure Nastya will win her both matches against Argentina's girls..No doubt at all...

Nastyafan
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Maybe she would prefer, but with Lena's refusal and Nadya's visa problem they haven't had a choice

cool_olga
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:55 PM
The draw on pic says she plays Dulko

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Nastya is not making this hardcourt season a priority. After the US Open, she has a lot to defend.
She still has not played a good match since Paris. Barely got passed Kapros at Wimbledon.

Nastyafan
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:58 PM
The draw on pic says she plays Dulkoit's for domingo - sunday

Nastyafan
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Stanford was good opportunity for gaining some points. Maybe with only 1 top10 player they have asked her but this FC on clay may cost her #1:fiery:

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:16 PM
I don't think she'll get to #1, unless Anastasia has a huge US Open. Not getting to #1 in Argentina.

ys
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:28 PM
If it meant a lot Nastya would be in Stanford. Sveta and Vera would play Fed Cup.
It means for her a lot. But Nastya is the smartest Russian player . She is capable of seeing the bigger picture. She knows she needs a rest from competition to get hungry, fresh and eager to win again. She knows she needs to time to adjust to hardcourts. She knows when is the right time to be in good form and strike. And Stanford is not the right time.

ys
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Nastya has about 40-45% chance of reaching #1 through hardcourt season. Two preconditions: 1) She must do better than Mauresmo, any better, doesn't really matter how much better. 2) She must do better than Henin-Hardenne. Given that JHH is almost certain not to have a good hardcourt season, either Nastya or Mauresmo will reach #1 in next two monthes. I want it to be her. I believe she can do it.

Nastyafan
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:34 PM
But Stanford was the easiest place. San Diego and Montreal are like GS

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:36 PM
I don't see what's so smart about being in Argentina now.

ys
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:38 PM
But Stanford was the easiest place. San Diego and Montreal are like GS
More quality points. She now believes she can beat anyone.

ys
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:39 PM
I don't see what's so smart about being in Argentina now.
It is a nice place, same timezone as North America. And having a couple of claycourt matches helps a lot before N/A hardcourt season. Ask Yevgeny Kafelnikov.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:45 PM
It's a nice place? I hope so. Nastya spent her birthday there.

Nastyafan
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:46 PM
More quality points. She now believes she can beat anyone.Yes, she can and she believes, but she won't win always. And after USO probably she will be 200-300 Stanford's points short of reaching #1

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 05:52 PM
She has a chance to be #1. But she'll have to earn it will big time results.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Myskina's rage to succeed

http://www.theage.com.au/images/clear.gif (http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/06/19/1087595785232.html?oneclick=true#)

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/06/19/myskina_2006.jpg Russia's Anastasia Myskina clenches her fist in delight after winning the French Open.
Photo:Reuters

Hot-blooded Muscovite Anastasia Myskina, winner of the French Open, is coming to terms with the fact that she is now a recognisable face. Sue Mott reports.

Anastasia Myskina, the new French Open champion, the first Russian woman to win a grand slam title, was taken to lunch by Boris Yeltsin last week. "He was very, very p . . ." - I thought I knew what was coming - ". . . roud," she said. Ah, wrong then.

But pride was a very proper response in the former Russian president as the evidence of a revolution was plain for the world to see with not just one Russian woman, but two contesting the final at Roland Garros. Although the spectacle was as compelling as someone beating a carpet for 59 minutes (poor Elena Dementieva being that carpet), it was still both an honour and vindication of post-Soviet Russian society.

Not that the victor was prepared for it. "It was a surprise for me, yes. I thought maybe in my sleep I would win a grand slam. You know, in my dreams. But not in real life. When it happened, I was in shock."

And more shocks are in store. She was at Wimbledon last week trying to adjust to fact that she now has a recognisable name, one that stands out from the rising ranks of Russian women. She is an individual prepared to "kick ass", as her German coach, Jens Gerlach, described it. She is not a chip off the old Soviet bloc, that is for sure.

Far from being dour and repressed, she is sometimes only too outgoing and expressive. "Did you see what she did at the Australian Open?" asked Gerlach. "There was one incident during her match against Chandra Rubin in the round of 16. She turned round during the tie-break and shouted 'F--- you!' towards me, her mother, the physio." He smiled apologetically. "It was on worldwide television."

"I tell her all the time, 'Listen, just say it in Russian'. I tell her not to get mad with us. But I do understand she has to realise it, the emotion, somehow. We have been working on it. At the French Open, she was much, much better. She kept her focus. It is a work - how do you say it! - in process."

I am very different on court to how I am in life."

Anastasia Myskina
Myskina herself has admitted that, at 23, she is ready to bring the more sulphurous of her rages under control. "I am very different on court to how I am in life. I am not quiet on the court." She can say that again. "But at the French Open, I understand that it doesn't help if you yell at somebody. If you hold your emotions inside you, it helps you win. If your opponent sees you yelling or throwing a racquet, it shows weakness.

"Sometimes my coach says, 'If you do that again, I am going to quit'. But I don't like to lose. I don't like to be a loser. It pisses me off. But sometimes I feel really guilty and sometimes I apologise. Maybe I am getting older and understanding life better."

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/06/19/myskina2_2006.jpg Myskina is the first Russian woman to win a grand slam title.
Photo:AFP

Meanwhile, Gerlach found himself under siege at the Australian Open from other coaches who criticised his leniency. "They said, 'Don't you have any control over her?' " It was a charge made all the more contentious by the fact that Gerlach is her former boyfriend. "But I said, 'You do your job with your girls and I will do my job with mine'. I don't judge anybody myself." He smiled calmly.

His serenity may owe something to the fact that at the next grand slam event, Myskina defeated everyone, including Venus Williams and Jennifer Capriati.

Myskina is a student at the Sports University in Moscow, studying to be a coach, though it is not a job she intends to take up when she retires. "I have other ideas," she said. One of them does not include, as in the case of Serena Williams, becoming an actress.

"Oh, no, no, no," cried Myskina in genuine horror. "I want to help people. To do something to help the world.

"I don't think of myself as a superstar. I don't want to be a person like Anna." In this, she is referring to Anna Kournikova, who advertised bras and the fact that she was not very good at tennis by the time hype, fame and boyfriends had taken their toll.

"Put it this way," said Myskina. "I want to be a tennis player. I used to know Anna well. But right now, she's a different person and lives a different life. Maybe she had goals that were not on the tennis circuit and maybe now she's happy. Maybe her goals were to be rich and glamorous. My goal is to be a good tennis player."

It is, therefore, not clear why on the day we are speaking, a Russian tabloid has reprinted a photograph of a younger Myskina in long flowing wig, sitting on a horse, topless. She rolled her cat-like green eyes and looked dangerously irritated. "It is so old, the photograph. No one was interested. Now everyone is putting it in magazines and newspapers," she scowled.

"I think it is a good picture," said her coach helpfully. She muttered something to him that appeared to contain a number of consonants, especially "z's". "She has told me to be quiet," he explained. "I will be really upset if this picture appears in a newspaper ever again," she said.

But Myskina is not the sort of woman to implode in a crisis. She was, after all, not the Russian half of the French final that served 10 double faults. Yet in her youth, Myskina was never the pick of the crop. "I was never the best. I was always fifth or sixth, even in Russia. Tennis was more fun for me than pressure. Even at 18, I was given the choice to give up by my family. I decided to give it one year and in that year, 1999, as a qualifier ranked 288th in the world, I won Palermo. In that moment, I became more professional."

A crucial factor in her development was her father, Andrey Myskin, with whom she conducted the now almost obligatory bust-up for a female tennis player about 18 months ago. "He travelled with me a lot. He gave me a lot of things. But I couldn't go out a lot. He was really strict . . . Now I'm going out, at 23, almost for the first time in my life. But, no, it doesn't make me want to be wild. Definitely not. I have known girls who have been going out since they were 18 or 19, it doesn't make them a smarter or better tennis player.

"Of course, we yelled at each other, my father and I. We had some fights. But for the most part, it was good."

Best of all, Myskin taught his daughter hard work. Gerlach is nothing but complimentary. "He gave her a lot of discipline and work ethic."

At the heart of these relationships is a enigma. How can Myskina, now dating a Russian ice hockey player, travel with a former boyfriend? But the combination of her ambition and the German's efficiency appears to make it work.

"Even when she was my girlfriend, I found I could concentrate on the tennis," said Gerlach. "And it's tough to be with somebody 24 hours a day. We never really fought. We didn't split up on bad terms . . . I had a choice to still hang around. She had a choice to have me as her coach. We just made the choice to give it a shot."

A shot heard around the world two weeks ago. "She's always had killer instinct," said Gerlach. "But now she has learnt to play the game as well. Her shot selection is better. Her patience is better. Obviously, the Williams sisters have the power and the strength for grass. But 'Nastia' is very determined."

cool_olga
Jul 9th, 2004, 10:20 PM
It was posted before if I am not wrong.
About Stanford, it it tier II, Sand Diego and Montreal are Tier I's so if she do well at these two events she will earn more points, if she played Stanford or LA before it could make her tired and she wouldn't be that fresh. I think she knows what she's doing.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Stanford is a much weaker field. She could play that, skip L.A., and play San Diego. There's no points in Argentina.
Sveta and Vera can win this tie.

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2004, 01:52 AM
It doesn't matter now. Nastya's in Argentina. But an olympic medal will make this a great summer for Nastya.

Verba
Jul 10th, 2004, 02:20 AM
It doesn't matter now. Nastya's in Argentina. But an olympic medal will make this a great summer for Nastya.
Which one of 3 medals?

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2004, 02:29 AM
I think Nastya wants gold. But I think any Olympic medal is something to be proud of.

Daniel
Jul 10th, 2004, 06:44 AM
I dont care about themedal. I prefer if she gets to #1. She has chacnes before the Olympics but is hard coz she would have to win San Diego, Montreal and Sopot and maybe some medal (bronze) so it is up to her to get #1 at that time. if not, then she has chances during the USO, a good ferformance over there and much better than Mauresmo would give her he #1 ranking. After that. Anastasia has more points to defend in the indoor season.
GL, Argentina is a wonderful place, I was born there so i know it, I am sure Nastya had a wonderful day. Buenos Aires is a beautiful city, andthe most common food is BBQ meat (argentine style) :drool: :D

Nastyafan
Jul 10th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Wow Daniel! To win San Diego, Montreal, Sopot and an Olimpic medal :eek:
It would be wonderful, but I think you are a maximalist. All these events (except Sopot) are like GS. But I think 1 win and SF in all the rest will be enough for #1. If I had to choose I would prefer to see her as #1 instead of the medal, but her priority is Olympics (how typical with all Russians). She thinks she will have another chances for #1, but maybe not for an Olimpic medal. Let's hope she is right.
Good luck today Nastya!:kiss: :hearts:

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2004, 10:32 AM
An Olympic medal and #1 are both important. I think Nastya would rather have an Olympic medal.
The French Open was a strange major. I don't know what to expect this fall.
I know I was hoping Nastya would play well at Wimbledon. And she didn't. I really don't know how well Anastasia will play the rest of this year.

Nastyafan
Jul 10th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Nastya won her first match convincingly 6-3, 6-0. She won 11 of the last 12 games:worship: :bounce:
Now rest well and do the same tomorrow.
and please win more often in that way:yeah:

TartarVicario
Jul 10th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Davai Nastya :D

Nastyafan
Jul 10th, 2004, 09:20 PM
http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/FC_1354_gallery.JPG

Nastya has played with a sweater. It seems the winter is severe there:scared:
or Nastya has a cold:confused:

Daniel
Jul 11th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Actually the winter id bad there, too cold :sad: A very good win for Nastya :yeah: wish you good luck on sunday against Dulko :bounce:
Go Nastya :kiss:
:bounce: :worship: :yeah:

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Nastya beat Dulko 6-1, 7-5. She was down 2-5 in the second.
Now it's hardcourt time. San Diego is still 15 days away. It's a long summer. Stay healthy.

Nastyafan
Jul 11th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Nastya did her job for Russia perfectly:bigclap:
only one tough set but she found enough strength in herself to finish in style:yeah:
Now rest well girl and then get ready for possibly the most important hardcourt season in your life:kiss: :hearts:

Nastyafan
Jul 11th, 2004, 04:37 PM
http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/FC_1401_gallery.JPG http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/FC_1400_gallery.JPG 11 Jul 2004 - Buenos Aires Lawn Tennis Club, Buenos Aires, ARG - Marina Cayssials - ARG v RUSRussia blasts past Argentina to Fed Cup semifinal slotRussia stormed past Argentina in the second leg of the Fed Cup quarterfinals on Sunday to secure its slot in the semis after singles triumphs by team leader Anastasia Myskina and Vera Zvonareva tipped the balance to 3-1 in the visitors’ favour.

Russia's semifinal opponent will be decided when the last four teams in the 2004 Fed Cup competition are redrawn ahead of the Fed Cup Semifinals and Finals, which take place the week of 22 November.

Argentina’s Gisela Dulko gave a spirited performance against Myskina, coming back from a 16 drubbing in the first set to lead the second 4-1 and then 5-2 before the world No. 4 pulled her game together after a lapse of concentration and a string of unforced errors.

“It was my first match against (Dulko),” Myskina said after winning her second point for Russia in the quarterfinal match against Argentina. “She really thinks on the court. She tried to use the angles and I was really impressed with that. Her drop shot is pretty good. If she’s going to work hard, I think she’s going to be pretty good,” she added.

Dulko came alive early in the second set, with a battery of impressive drop shots and slices that caught Roland Garros champion Myskina off guard. But she was unable to consolidate an early lead, and Myskina started to play faultless tennis to claw back from 5-2 down to take the set 75, managing to shake off the biting cold and noisy heckling from several hundred spectators rooting for Argentina.

Dulko was happy that she had proved she could take on the best on level terms. “She played very well in the first set and didn’t give me many chances,” she said after the match. “I lifted my game and until 5-2 I played very well, and after that she didn’t give me another ball. She has a lot of confidence… and plays a very solid game.”

“Personally I feel very good to have played on even terms with her – she won Roland Garros and is world No. 4,” Dulko added. “I took a lot of positive things from this game.”

After changes by both teams for the second singles match of the day, world No. 13 Vera Zvonareva took a swift lead against Mariana Diaz-Oliva, with a 63 win in a rapid-fire first set, clearly outclassing the Argentine who is ranked No. 129. Zvonareva took the second set with an emphatic 60 scoreline, underlining Russia’s victory with style.

“I was a little bit nervous playing for my team, but I played in the situation in Moscow against Australia and I’m really happy that I gave a third point to my team,” the Russian said.

Argentina – fielding an under-strength team in the absence of Paola Suarez and Clarisa Fernandez due to injuries - has not made the Fed Cup semifinals since 1993, when local tennis great Gabriela Sabatini led the team. The last time the nations met in the Fed Cup had been in 2001, Russia won 3-0.

Russia made the Fed Cup finals in 2001, before losing to Belgium, as well as in 1999, when it lost to the United States.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 11th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Nastya did her job perfectly :yeah: :hug:
well done :)
just what the team needed :)

Nastyafan
Jul 11th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Nastya and Vera have played with training suits. It should have been really cold there. Isn't there some minimal temperature for playing tennis ?

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 04:48 PM
I'm glad Nastya played well, and Russia won. Now she can prepare for the hardcourt season.
As French Open champion, and current Russian #1, she has to show the world that she's a top level player.

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 05:18 PM
I'm watching the Hall of Hame inductions on the Tennis Channel. Nastya is not that far away, from being a Hall of Famer.
Get to #1 for 2004, or win another major. Nastya can be a part of this one day.

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 09:05 PM
The Russian #1 -

http://www.fedcup.com/shared/medialibrary/image/gallery/FC_1400_gallery.JPG

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 09:21 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040711/i/r342897778.jpg Sun Jul 11,11:06 AM EThttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/p/reuters120.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/reuters/brand/SIG=pd7i95/*http://www.reuters.com)
Anastasia Myskina of Russia, prepares to hit the ball against Argentine Gisela Dulko in quarterfinals of the Fed Cup in Buenos Aires, July 11, 2004. Myskina won in two sets 6-1 7-5. REUTERS/Santiago Pandolfi REUTERS

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 10:33 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040711/capt.dsl10507111841.federation_cup_argentina_russi a_dsl105.jpg Sun Jul 11, 2:44 PM EThttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/p/ap120.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ap/brand/SIG=br2v03/*http://www.ap.org)
Anastasia Myskina of Russia waves after wining the match against Gisela Dulko of Argentina, Sunday, July 11, 2004 in Buenos Aires for Federation Cupe game. Myskina

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:54 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20040711/capt.sge.mgl22.110704231205.photo00.default-277x380.jpg Sun Jul 11, 7:12 PM EThttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/th/afp_lo_1.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/afp/brand/SIG=ofqlv2/*http://www.afp.com)
Myskina serves : Newly-crowned French Open champion, Russian Anastasia Myskina, serves at Argentinian Gisela Dulko during the Fed Cup quarter-finals, in Buenos Aires, Argentina. (AFP/Pablo Cuarterolo)

Daniel
Jul 12th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Well done :kiss:

ys
Jul 12th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Nastya does not seem to be as excited about Olympics as other players..

http://www.gzt.ru/sports.gzt?rubric=sport&id=64050000000022967

"After all, Olympics is just another tournament"

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Nastya plays Fed Cup. She could be on the tour getting points. And I heard her on the Tennis Channel.
Representing Russia is very important to Anastasia.

ys
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Nastya plays Fed Cup. She could be on the tour getting points. And I heard her on the Tennis Channel.
Representing Russia is very important to Anastasia.
I think so. But, it seems to me, that winning a GS has put any other kind of tennis achievement into certain prospective for Nastya. She now knows what professional tennis is about, and it is not about winning Olympics or Fed Cup.

It seems to me that for Nastya playing for Russia becomes more and more like a patriotic duty - which she performs wholeheartedly, but it is still a duty - something more of an emotional component, while some other - professional - component starts to clearly dominate over anything else in her mind. I don't think it is bad. It is normal, even helpful. But I would imagine that for a person with different proportion of emotional to professional - such as Elena D. - Olympics could mean more.

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:07 PM
I see it differently. Nastya is planning on living her whole life in Russia. And representing Russia is still very important to her.
I'll bet she wants to play every Fed Cup tie.

ys
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:09 PM
I see it differently. Nastya is planning on living her whole life in Russia. And representing Russia is still very important to her.
I'll bet she wants to play every Fed Cup tie.
It is not about whether she wants it or not. It is about what she wants more. Priorities.

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Nastya is skipping L.A., and waiting for San Diego. That sounds like Athens is important.
She could have played once this Fed Cup, with no Suarez.
Everything she does seem to make representing Russia a priority.

ys
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Nastya is skipping L.A., and waiting for San Diego. That sounds like Athens is important.
Athens is more of a duty. US Open is more of importance. Make her choose one out of two - you know what she chooses.

She could have played once this Fed Cup, with no Suarez.
She would have had. If it was not for Sveta's fiasco.

Everything she does seem to make representing Russia a priority.
She tries to play as well as she can when representing Russia.

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:21 PM
I don't know what you're saying - that Nastya lacks enthusiasm? She always is available for Fed Cup. She always plays well.
We can't read her mind.
I want her to get to #1. She wants Fed Cup.

Nastyafan
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the link ys
I don't think Nastya isn't excited about Olympics , she said in another interview that Olimpics is probably the most important torney for her this year becaus she isn't sure whether she will play next Olimpics, but Games are still too far and she should concentrate on the forthcomming events.:yeah:
Wow the mineral water has frozen there.:eek: I hope Nastya and other girls haven't catch cold:hearts:

Nastyafan
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Of course FC is a patriotic duty there are no money or glory. But Olympics are a duty and glory. Olympic medal remains forever and it's the biggest achievement for every sportman. Only the money and the points are less but I don't think they are Nastya's priorities (maybe only the points as medium of reaching #1)

cool_olga
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:53 PM
ehe, wear socks, that's ineteresting. I think Nastya cares about Olympics and representing Russia there. One of her best moments is 2000 Olympics.
Translated but not that good this article here http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/multi.php?pokaz=main/interviews/fedcupqf.htm

Nastyafan
Jul 12th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Wow Ola, you have learnt Russian these days!;)

cool_olga
Jul 12th, 2004, 10:29 PM
No I didn't I used online translator :rolls:
And those few words that it didn't translate but it changed to 'normal' and Russian is very very similar to Polish so even not knowing I could know what that means ;)

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 11:59 PM
I don't understand why Nastya is only playing one tournament in California.
If you're going to fly all the way out there, play 2 of them.

ys
Jul 13th, 2004, 12:42 AM
I don't understand why Nastya is only playing one tournament in California.
If you're going to fly all the way out there, play 2 of them.
I think that's good idea. She has to play some of them. But it is extremely important to conserve the energy, eagerness and mental freshness for bigger events. She played almost none of warmup clay. You saw the result.

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 12:53 AM
I'm thinking about traveling. Lina is only playing one California tournament also.
It's such a long trip from Moscow. And California to Montreal is a long trip.
They have 3 tournaments right there, why not play two?

Nastyafan
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Her schedule is too hard later. Maybe she should skip Sopot but obviously she has some sentimental reasons to play there. And she has said some times that she doesn't like USA and if it was possible she would never play there, so it isn't unexplainable.

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:16 AM
I don't know. I expect the veterans, like Nastya and Elena D., to know exactly what they're doing.
I think when you're in the top 5, you have to expect each tournament to be a long grind.
I assume Anastasia has a good reason for her schedule.

ys
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:16 AM
I'm thinking about traveling. Lina is only playing one California tournament also.
It's such a long trip from Moscow. And California to Montreal is a long trip.
They have 3 tournaments right there, why not play two?
There must be some reason why Russian girls never do well on West Coast hardcourts. It could be weather, too much of sun, anything. But the fact remains - if you would want to single out one part of the tour where Russian girls made no impact whatsoever - it is Californian hardcourt events.

And travelling in summer, when there is plenty of daylight is no big deal, really.
And also, Tarpishev mentioned that Russian Olympic team will have a training camp in early August to prepare for Olympics. I have no clue WTF he means by that.

Nastyafan
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:45 AM
They didn't do well on clay and on grass till this year. So, maybe just a matter of time.
I don't think Tarpishev's words mean something, probably he tries to assert himself

ys
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:48 AM
They didn't do well on clay and on grass till this year. So, maybe just a matter of time.
No. our girls played in Eastbourne finals and Wimbledon semis before. They won many titles on clay. But no one has ever done anything at West Coast. A couple of lousy semis, maybe.

I don't think Tarpishev's words mean something, probably he tries to assert himself
That's what Nadrishev's words sound like..

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Russian girls never won majors until now. So I don't care about California results from previous years.
A long trip is tiring. Especially for a pro athlete.
If you're going to San Francisco, wear flowers in your hair. And play 2 tournaments while you're there.

Nastyafan
Jul 13th, 2004, 02:19 AM
No. our girls played in Eastbourne finals and Wimbledon semis before. They won many titles on clay. But no one has ever done anything at West Coast. A couple of lousy semis, maybe.I just checked the past results and in San Diego in 3 of last 4 years Russian plays in SF, in Stanford - once. I remember Anna's Wimby SF(had forgoten about Zvereva), but I don't remember Russian titles in tier 2 on red clay in last 5 years Do I miss something?:confused:

ys
Jul 13th, 2004, 02:22 AM
but I don't remember Russian titles in tier 2 on red clay in last 5 years Do I miss something?:confused:
There is only one Tier II event on red clay in the whole season.

Nastyafan
Jul 13th, 2004, 02:30 AM
There is only one Tier II event on red clay in the whole season.but there are 2 tier1 - almost the same as California

Daniel
Jul 13th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Good luck Anastasia in San Diego :kiss:

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 12:11 PM
If she flies all the way to San Diego for that one tournament, she had better win matches.

Daniel
Jul 13th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Vamos Anastasia!!!! :clap2:

cool_olga
Jul 13th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Anna was in semifinal os San Diego in 2002, Nastya will repeat her result this year :)

Nastya know what she is doing, last year she didn't play any of California swing, this year she plays one, she doesn't like it that much it seems.

WTF Tarpischev again thought of :|

Nastyafan
Jul 13th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Anna has been in SF here in 2000 as well, and Sveta in 2003. It's time someone to rise to a higher level and who is more suitable than Nastya?:worship: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=privatemessage#)

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 04:38 PM
I think Nastya has only 90 points to defend until Queens. So points are important now.
Nastya can reach world #1 with good summer results.

Nastyafan
Jul 13th, 2004, 04:59 PM
90 - Toronto -50
Sopot - 39
New Haven-1
and 210 in USO
total 300
I wonder why someone in GM had calculated less, maybe Sopot isn't among her best 17:confused: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=privatemessage#)

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Having only 90 points to defend before Queens is why Nastya should play twice in California. #1 is right in front of her. But if she plays well, she'll get there.
After the US Open, Nastya has a lot to defend.

cool_olga
Jul 13th, 2004, 10:20 PM
And Leipzig tournament is canceleed, her favourite one where she always played so well :sad: Pity

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 10:22 PM
That was 420 points. Nastya will have to play well this fall, or her ranking's going to drop.

ys
Jul 13th, 2004, 10:25 PM
H
After the US Open, Nastya has a lot to defend.
And so is her only serious ranking opponent.

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 10:33 PM
We don't know if there will be another ranking opponent after this summer. Leipzig and the KC were 800 points. That's a lot to defend.

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Compare that to Sveta, who has less than 100 to defend after the US Open. If Sveta can play some good tennis and get results, even she can make a run at Russian #1 for 2004.

ys
Jul 13th, 2004, 10:42 PM
We don't know if there will be another ranking opponent after this summer. Leipzig and the KC were 800 points. That's a lot to defend.
I agree, while Nastya is a co-favourite to reach #1 by the end of US Hardcourt season, the race for yearend #1 is wide open for at least 7-8 , maybe even for 10 players.

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 10:46 PM
And that's why I'm more concerned with the quality of Nastya's play, than reaching #1 for a few weeks, like Kim did.
Maria played great tennis. I want Nastya to get to that level. She can't serve like that, but Nastya can play a very steady, mature baseline game. With lots of variety in her pace and placement.

ys
Jul 13th, 2004, 10:55 PM
And that's why I'm more concerned with the quality of Nastya's play, than reaching #1 for a few weeks, like Kim did.
Maria played great tennis. I want Nastya to get to that level. She can't serve like that, but Nastya can play a very steady, mature baseline game. With lots of variety in her pace and placement.
I am pretty sure that's how she is going to play. Her game suits hardcourts very well and her game vastly improved since last year, her confidence must be sky high. Judging by RG, there was a serious improvement in her serve, that was left very much unnoticed. Last year she played horrible tennis at US Open, 4 out of 5 matches that she played were so much below her level. Yet she reached the quarters.

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 10:59 PM
I'm looking forward to it. And if Elena can improve her serve, and Sveta keeps improving, we can have 4 elite players. Nadia and Vera still have a lot to prove.

But right now, they all have to catch Maria. Assuming her head is on straight. And I think she will be ready to kick butt in Queens.

ys
Jul 13th, 2004, 11:05 PM
I'm looking forward to it. And if Elena can improve her serve, and Sveta keeps improving, we can have 4 elite players. Nadia and Vera still have a lot to prove.
Nadya and Vera have to do something about their fitness level. I can see Vera doing that. Nadya, I am not sure.

But right now, they all have to catch Maria. Assuming her head is on straight. And I think she will be ready to kick butt in Queens.
When I think about Olympics and USO, I see three Russian players whose game suits the surface best. And that is Dementieva, Kuznetsova, Zvonareva. Others don't meet the formula footspeed+power.

I think that Kuznetsova is our best chance at Olympics - simply because Vera is not playing them, while Nastya and Elena D. always struggle in a hot weather. And it will be very hot in Athens.

And either of the three can win the Open.

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 11:09 PM
It's going to be tough to get any medal in Athens.
But the US Open looks clear - if Maria doesn't win it, it won't be a Russian.
Unless someone improves a lot.

ys
Jul 13th, 2004, 11:17 PM
It's going to be tough to get any medal in Athens.
It is going to be tough not to. Williams sisters, Capriati, Mauresmo is all serious competition I can think about. Capriati is clearly fading and Mauresmo is not a hardcourt ace. If Williams sisters are drawn in the same half of the draw, I expect a Russian finalist again at least.

But the US Open looks clear - if Maria doesn't win it, it won't be a Russian.
Unless someone improves a lot.
Geez, girl.. Have a little faith.. Read what you've been saying before W. I think that it is about 50% chance that it is going to be another Russian winner.

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Before the French Open, I said I'll be happy with good doubles results. Nastya won't have wet red clay against a Williams, or Maria. Sveta is not a pressure player.
Maria's game is awesome. Just her return of serve will beat most players.

ys
Jul 13th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Before the French Open, I said I'll be happy with good doubles results. Nastya won't have wet red clay against a Williams, or Maria. Sveta is not a pressure player.
Maria's game is awesome. Just her return of serve will beat most players.
First, why are you so eager to attribute Nastya's success to wet red clay instead of her game? Was she a Top 5 player for nothing coming into the RG?

Sveta can be a pressure player. She just needs to refresh her mind. She hasn't beaten Williams and JHH on hardcourts for nothing.

Maria's return. It depends. I would imagine that her return might not work as well against other players as it work against Serena. Remember, Serena mostly serves kicks. That kind of serve is not designed for grass ( same case with Nadya's serve). Masha had much more trouble returning low bouncing slices from Davenport and Sugiyama. It's difficult to project Masha's game for US hardcourts at this point. We have to at least wait till Acura.

One thing that goes hugely into Masha's favour for the Open is that that she doesn't play Olympics. Coming into the Grand Slam, that is a huge advantage. Both Nastya and Lena found themselves completely mentally drained two weeks after very successful RG. Remember 2000. Same happened to Marat after the Open. He had no mental strength left after it and recovered only by end of October, while mentally fresh Zhenya managed to pick at Sydney. Venus did win both in 2000, but she was head and shoulders above anyone at Olympics. I would almost bet that Olympics and US Open won't have the same finalist. I am pretty sure not even the same semifinalist.

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 11:43 PM
I'm not considering Sveta a threat to win a major. A semi would be awesome for her. She's never done it.
The best players have weapons. Wet red clay blunts them. Hardcourt is different.
And Nastya has to prove she can beat the best on hardcourt.
I know what I saw at Wimbledon. Maria broke everyone she played several times. Everyone.

Nastyafan
Jul 13th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Pff GL I can't believe you speak like Ballbuster or some other Williams fans - as if the wet clay won the slam for Nastya. Too quickly you lost faith in Nastya and jumped on Masha's bandwagon. Maria almost lost with her awesome play to Sugiyama and Frazier but after one great win she is undisputable Russian queen

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 11:49 PM
The rain helped. The big match was Venus. And it rained. Nastya has never won a match like that at any other major.
I want Nastya to play great. I saw her play a set at Wimbledon. It wasn't great. Far from it.
I saw her play Kim in Melbourne. She had to win that second set. And she didn't.
Like I said, I know what I saw. I know what Maria did. It's a different level of play.

ys
Jul 13th, 2004, 11:53 PM
If Nastya reaches semis at US Open she'll win it. She is the best big match player on Tour right now. Last 8 times she reached semifinals at tournaments, she won 6 out of them. Once she reaches those late stages of the tournament she is nearly unbeatable.

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 11:59 PM
I think making the semis for Nastya and Sveta will be a lot easier than winning. I would consider either one of them in the semis as tremendous.
Any Russian who makes the semis in Queens is doing tremendous. To win it, you have to beat S&V. Maria is capable on hardcourt.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Everyone has bad and good days. I don't think Masha played great against Sugiyama or Davenport(didn't see vs. Frazier). And why don't you mention about the rain against Lindsay. Without it the match could have ended 6-2 6-3. Masha just wasn't able to return 80% of Davenport's serves

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:08 AM
I know. Maria was almost out. But she wound up dominating. 6-1 in the third.
I hope Nastya can do it. If Anastasia wins the US Open, I will be very happy. But I'm not predicting it. I'm hoping.
I'd love a semifinal appearance. Anything better is gravy.

cool_olga
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:19 AM
I wish rain didn't stop Lindsay that day. I wanted her to win this slam she deserved. Haven't seen Masha at Wimby but know Nastya haven't ever lost to her. Nastya is in top 10 for more than year, was top 5 before Roland Garros and ys is right that if she reaches semis then she rarely loses. I hope Nastya won't let Masha get her. Remember Nastya's advantage are also flat and fast balls, Doha final, unbelievable, Leipzig was fast almost like grass and she was best there, Nastya is very good on hard.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:22 AM
The Doha final was a mess. I have it on tape. Nastya and Sveta both tried to give it away.
I want Nastya to do well. I would love it, if she could stay ahead of Maria. But Maria has more game.
Maybe this new fame will affect her. But Maria has no weakness. And fights for every point.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:25 AM
But that rain played much bigger role than RG's one. After the rain Davenport 's serve was completely off and Davenport without serve is almost a mediocre player. Ilove Masha as well, but I hate when someone maintains how better she has played than Nastya, how much more deserved is her title and how greater she is at all. Let we see how she will stand the pressure

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:28 AM
It's different. Beating Serena at Wimbledon is not the same as beating Lena.
Nastya will get her chance at every major. I'm not knocking Nastya.
But Maria's game is complete. She has every shot. She has to play steady.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Maria has weaknesses too . She can't mix the pace, she almost doesn't use dropshots...
Maybe she was luccky that she didn't meet players with that style Suarez, Patty, Martinaz - maybe only Sugiyama and she had big problems in that match

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:37 AM
We are going to find out. I want every player in Russian Roulette to do well. Especially at the majors.
I want them all advancing. Maria's not going to Athens. That's a big advantage for her in Queens.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:39 AM
And why do you only compare the finals. In SF and QF Nastya was far more impressive against red hot Venus and Capriati

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:46 AM
I think everyone compares the finals. Like I said, Nastya will get her chances at every major.
I want her to win more majors. I think Maria, at 17, will probably win more.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Everyone who wants to depreciate Nastya's win compares only the finals. So Nastya hasn't had a chance because she played Elena and it's her fault that she hasn't played Serena. Even if she had beaten Venus in QF and Serena in SF she wouldn't have had a chance because she hasn't met her in the finaf. Excuse me but that's a stupid logic

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:10 AM
People consider a slam final to be special. And people think Serena is the best player in the last 3 years.
This is why I wanted Nastya to focus on Wimbledon. Because I knew people didn't believe the French Open was played at a high level.
I thought it was important for Nastya to play well at Wimbledon. Even if she loses to Maria, just play well.
And she didn't. And everyone saw it.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:30 AM
I want Nastya to do well. I don't want Maria to get all the credit for being the best Russian, until her ranking is better than Nastya.
But Nastya has to do well in Queens, I mean at least the semis, to get the credit she deserves.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:43 AM
So who beats Serena is the best player, is Capriati considered as the best? And if all people think so they should change the formula as in chess - the tourneys will be played without Serena and the winner will play her a superfinal. Maybe that's the only way "people" to consider the winner as deserved. No, not people, American media think so and because of it -most of Americans too -they think Serena is still #1.
How do you, think if Nastya had won the final in Wimby against Serena and Masha had won RG against Elena, which one would be hyped more?

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:48 AM
I think Maria would have gotten a lot of hype. But if she lost in round 3 at Wimbledon, and Nastya won, it would be close.
Nastya won a major. Forever and ever. But she has to win another one, to get the credit she deserves for being an elite player.
The main thing for Nastya is to keep improving. If she does that, she'll be fine.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:11 AM
So you agreed.:worship: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=privatemessage#)
American media wants to promote American (they consider Masha as their) stars because they will earn lots of money. The media tries to persuade Americans that their final was great, historical and Russian - boring and insignificant and most Americans believe it because they like to believe that Americans are the strongest the most beautiful and the best in the world.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:17 AM
That's not it. It's like Anna's popularity. They market Maria as a sex symbol. That's why she gets hype.
IMG has been doing this for years. They use Anna's name to make another player famous.
Out of all those players, Maria's the best. And she speaks well.
But she also played well. I think Nastya did not have to play at that level to win the French Open. Nastya played very well. But her opponents were sloppy.
Just like Maria was against Suarez.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:48 AM
We are returning back. I don't think Nastya played worse to win her slam, but maybe I'm biased and you are influenced by all that hype (I know you are a fan of all Russians, but you live in USA) We can't judge who is more objective.
My point is : If non-Anna's type non-American wins the most important slam beating all top players in a row with the most impressive play she will get less hype than blonde (and pretty) American winning any slam beating none with an average play

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:52 AM
I'm sure this is about the Anna hype. Plus she's 17. And speaks English very well.
But it's not about being American. Anna is a huge crowd favorite against every American.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Anna and Masha are considered as Americans. If they were comming in USA only for USO and 4-5 another tourneys they would never get that hype

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:04 AM
You're overthinking this. I just heard Anna speak during WTT. Nobody thinks she's American. She has a heavy accent. Maria does sound American.
But without being compared to Anna, Maria wouldn't get as much attention.
Most of the attention Maria gets is in England. She's not talked about in the U.S.
Without the S.I. cover, it would be nothing.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:20 AM
The accent doesn' matter.
Thy live in USA, they have trained in American tennis schools and they are better than born Americans because the media can invent stories how poor Russian girls have landed in bright America and have become stars

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Any 17 year old who beats Serena in a Wimbledon final would get attention. But I can put on the tv and radio, and not hear Maria's name all day.
You're reading GM too much.
I'm going by my tapes. I know Venus could have won, if she played smarter. She had opportunities. She missed some makeable shots.
When Maria was rolling, no one could stay with her. It's a higher level. I have them both on tape.
I'm certainly not on Maria's bandwagon. She still has to prove to me she can do it again.
But her tennis is better than Nastya's. I'm very convinced of that.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Indeed from GM I learnt about Cold Pizza and many other bla-bla which I didnt remember but probably it' true.
About the chances, I said - Davenport needed just to keep her serve in.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:42 AM
After the rain delay, it was all Maria. She got a feel for Lindsay's serve. And she dominated.
Maria won at least one set 6-0, or 6-1, in 6 of her 7 matches. Only Frazier was not dominated for a set.
And Frazier lost the last 3 games.

Maria is much better than she was earlier this year. She can really attack your serve. She pressures her opponent at the start of every point.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:50 AM
No, Davenport's serve was absolutely off after the rain I think she had no Aces more.
And Frazier did 12 DF -most of them in the end of both sets (I know she did 11 DF against Nastya too, but still in 3 sets)

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Frazier and Kapros both broke Nastya over and over. Maria would have eaten that serve up.
Nastya would have beaten Maria in Paris.
Maybe they'll play in Queens. I don't know if Maria can maintain that intensity, now that she won Wimbledon.
But her game is huge. She's unbeatable when she's on.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Unbeatable! I hate this word and I have heard it only from Williams' fans Don't be like them
Otherwise you will have to use their theories about 20% 9000notches and other bla-bla

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:14 AM
I don't care who does a tv interview. Or who gets more endorsement deals. Nastya and Maria will both retire as multi-millionaires.
But I've never seen a woman play better tennis than Maria. It's the best I've seen.
If she keeps playing like this, she's going to win a lot of majors.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Noo again, although I'm a Williams hater I have seen Serena playing much better, even Hingis - of course not so powerful but faultless

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:33 AM
I don't remember Hingis. Except that final against Jennifer, and some matches around then. I don't have her on tape.
Serena at her best was around as good. Depends who's steadier. I know what I saw. I watched Nastya's French Open wins again. I'm sure Venus could have won. It was on her racket. And she missed some shots that weren't that tough.
Maria controlled every match. When she turned it up a notch, it was over.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Venus was much further from winning against Nastya than Davenport and Sugiyama against Masha . But we reiterate the same things over and over again

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Oh come on, Sveta was up 6-1, 3-1, and had matchpoint. Molik was up a set and a break.
Maria was never near matchpoint.

ys
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:53 AM
I don't care who does a tv interview. Or who gets more endorsement deals. Nastya and Maria will both retire as multi-millionaires.
But I've never seen a woman play better tennis than Maria. It's the best I've seen.
If she keeps playing like this, she's going to win a lot of majors.
I am surprised at how keen you are at oversimplifying things.. Masha's game matched well against one, even if an outstanding, but still a very single-dimensional opponent. She struggled and was on a brink of losing to every single other decent opponent of her at Wimbledon. Same way as Safin's game clicked against Sampras's game in that US Open final, after being in a five-set tiebreak again Seb.

You've never seen a woman play better tennis? I would say that even the way Elena D. played in her QF against Mauresmo and Davenort at RG is as good as anything I saw of Masha. Everyone on these boards was classifying Elena's tennis as exceptional back then. Level of Nastya's game against Capriati was astonishing. I would like to see how would Masha handle on hardcourts a variety of Nastya, with all her pace changes all the time, maneuvering, anticipation and exceptional speed. How would she handle a superior speed and power of Elena D. or Sveta, or exceptional accuracy of Vera. Again, Masha's game clicked well against a very one-dimensional game of Serena. Her game was beaten hands down by the game of Davenport or even Sugiyama. She beat them only thanks to the fact that both of them don't have a mentality of Slam contenders at this point of time ( and Ai never had it really ).

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:54 AM
You spoke about Venus not Sveta
and Lindsay was 6-2 3-1
but enough useless disputes:wavey: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=privatemessage#)

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Put in the tape of the Davenport match from 3-2 in the second. Maria dominates.
Maria didn't dominate Ai until the end of the second set. She was overhitting. But it was clear how much game Maria had. As soon as she got a little steadier, it was over.

Nastya played well against Capriati. On hardcourt, Maria will attack that serve.

ys
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Put in the tape of the Davenport match from 3-2 in the second. Maria dominates.
Rain delay. Lindsay got her mind screwed.

Nastya played well against Capriati. On hardcourt, Maria will attack that serve.
That might not be as easy. Nastya does not kick. Nastya slices. Low bounce will make the return a lower percentage shot. And Nastya will anticipate a serious share of those returns that would go over the net.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:15 AM
I hope Nastya can beat Maria on hardcourt. But it's not what I see on tape. Maria has great reflexes. Some of those service returns were awesome.
And now Maria is fast. She runs down balls that look like winners.
Remember, Nastya gets broken a lot. 1-6, 1-3 to Sveta. That's a lot of breaks.

ys
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Remember, Nastya gets broken a lot. 1-6, 1-3 to Sveta. That's a lot of breaks.
Remember. Nastya is not a natural claucourter. It took her few matches to adjust to the surface. How many breaks did she give away to Venus? To Capriati?

cool_olga
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:15 AM
She's unbeatable when she's on.Nobody is unbeatable. Remember who stopped Henin's hardcourt winning streak in Leipzig? Who? Of course it was Nastya...With her 'weak' serve Juju could kill as well as you say Masha now.

Nastya was in QF of Melbourne, winner of Doha, semifinalist of Indian Wells, all hard, she couldm't make it if she had so weak serve. Of course it is not very good but honesty I havem't seen too much winning returns from anybody. Nastya knows what to do to not be killed, even when return is good she is fast and gets it, make point equal again.
I haven't seen Masha-Lindsay match but it was definitely rain that stopped Lindsay from win, it wouldn't be that wole story now if not the rain.
In Nastya - Venus you can't say Venus would win if she played at some moments different. Throughout all match Nastya was kipping the ball in,Venus couldn't finish her, Nastya was not doing mistakes.

Masha's game is sure impressive but it's just hard, flat, fast strokes. Nastya thinks on court, she knows how to mix up her shots, change the pace, and she never wants to lose to Russian. Masha don't do well against mixing pace and shots, she likes fast steady rhythm. That's why I think if they meet Nastya will prove .

Wonder about one thing. After Roland Garros you were so impressed by Nastya, said good things now you sayd this grand slam win was not so difficult, I don't understand you.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:20 PM
I thought Nastya did a great job in Paris. She used her baseline skills to win a major.
I didn't know Maria could play at this level until I saw her at Wimbledon.
Maria is not as steady as Nastya. But when Maria is on, her opponents can't make shots that can beat her. When Maria is making UE's, then she can be beaten.
You have to play very steady against her. And hope she doesn't hit winners on the big points.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 06:02 PM
I'm a big fan of Nastya. And I respect the Russian #1. I'm talking about levels of tennis.
I think Nastya has been steadily improving. I would love to see her move to the top of the sport.
We'll see what happens as the year goes on.
Nastya has to understand that the elite players do it at the majors. The French Open is the only time she got past the quarters of a major.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 09:22 PM
This year there is no player reached SF in 2 majors. The forces are equalized now. Only dominating players can reach SF or further in every major. No one here think Nastya is or will be dominating. But she is an elite player and the level of her tennis is very high. She is no way inferior to other top players except the power and somewhat consistency. I want her to be more consistent never losing against players she should beat easily and I hope she will be. But I don't want her more powerful at the price of becoming a muscular manlike woman. I love her because she is the only pretty girl in top 5 for a long time ago, she is the only successful alternative of the power hitters and a bearer of the the femininity in tennis.

ys
Jul 14th, 2004, 09:32 PM
The French Open is the only time she got past the quarters of a major.
Did she get past only the quarters there?

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Capriati and Lena weren't playing good enough to even analyze what was going on.
I want Nastya to do well. But I've always been realistic.
Did you read the stuff I said about Maria before Wimbledon? Not flattering.
I don't just start declaring that Sveta can win in Queens. Because I don't think she's good enough.
I want to see Nastya beat a sister or Justine or Kim at a non-clay major. I know Maria can.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Before the French Open, I was thinking it might be a good thing that Nastya played Molik.
Lose early, and get the clay season over with. So week two in Paris was a surprise to me.
I want Nastya to keep surprising me. But the Wimbledon results make it easy to be realistic.

ys
Jul 14th, 2004, 09:50 PM
I want to see Nastya beat a sister or Justine or Kim at a non-clay major. I know Maria can.
I want to see Maria beat a sister or Justine or Kim at a non-grass major. I know Nastya can.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 09:55 PM
I watched the third set of Nastya-Maria in Melbourne. Maria is a different player now. Her movement was awful, compared to Wimbledon.
Beating Serena at Wimbledon is not easy.

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 09:57 PM
But I don't want her more powerful at the price of becoming a muscular manlike woman. I love her because she is the only pretty girl in top 5 for a long time ago, she is the only successful alternative of the power hitters and a bearer of the the femininity in tennis.
I believe I said that earlier Nastyafan..... :D ... we think alike. She is a tremendous athlete that looks feminine yet can still hit with power. A true athlete does not have to look muscular... they develop their game through tremendous technique, speed, and conditioning. She is one lovely girl! :lick:

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Nastya has a slim build. But she hits hard. And she moves well. She has to hold serve.
That's a real problem against top players. It was a problem against Kapros and Frazier.

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 10:03 PM
I watched the third set of Nastya-Maria in Melbourne. Maria is a different player now. Her movement was awful, compared to Wimbledon.
Beating Serena at Wimbledon is not easy.
We saw an unprepared Myskina at Wimbledon... a tired nastya that did not play much tennis since partying with the president of russia, having parades, and doing photo shoots. That showed at wimbledon and everyone knew that was more than likely to happen. She was the first russian to win a grand slam major and she enjoyed that moment for a while.
She showed once again she is dominant when she went to the fed cup a few days ago. She is refocued, re-energized and is looking to make #1... Sharapova is a great player, i think most people agree on that, but myskina is very crafty. that is why she beats the players she does. She is very quick and outsmarts her opponents.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 10:17 PM
We'll all find out this fall, and next year. I want Nastya to reach #1. I want her to play like a #1 too.
Maria has to prove herself also. That was one tournament. She has to get results on hardcourt.

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 10:31 PM
We'll all find out this fall, and next year. I want Nastya to reach #1. I want her to play like a #1 too.
Maria has to prove herself also. That was one tournament. She has to get results on hardcourt.
agreed.... i'm not quite a sharapova supporter yet. I'm happy for the russians that they have another grand slam underneath their belt, but i'll have to see some more of sharapova before i can decide on whether i like her or not. I definite respect her game and what she has accomplished... you can't deny that.
Although there is one thing that i can't stand the american press for doing... and that is for over-glorifying sharapova coming over to the united states with her father and $700 to start tennis in florida. It is a great story about the confidence of her father and not seeing her mother for a few years, but you never heard stories like this about someone like nastya. She won a grand slam and she did something amazing too. She was born in moscow, raised in moscow, and still trains and plays in moscow. Moscow compared to Florida.... to me it's pretty obvious who had the tougher upbringing...
i really didn't appreciate the fact they had a sharapova story and not a real myskina story. but that's the american press picking favorites for you... myskina is russia and sharapova is russian-american. there was no doubt that the american press would jump all over that fact just so they can say ... "you see!!! your russian girl was trained and raised in the U.S.!!"
bad bad bad press..... :fiery:

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 10:35 PM
That story is only being told because Maria was not well known before Wimbledon. And then she won at 17.
That makes whatever her story was a news story. Anastasia was on the tour for years. And gradually moved up the rankings. And then she won a major in which the top players arguably didn't play their best.
The 17 year old coming from nowhere to win Wimbledon is a more non-tennis type success story.
Rags to riches, suddenly.

ys
Jul 14th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Anastasia was on the tour for years. And gradually moved up the rankings. And then she won a major in which the top players arguably didn't play their best.
And at Wimbledon they clearly did.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 10:55 PM
A 17 year old, who was unknown outside tennis circles, wins Wimbledon. That's a news story, not just a sports story.
Serena played better in England. I saw the Kirilenko match in Paris.

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 10:58 PM
That story is only being told because Maria was not well known before Wimbledon. And then she won at 17.
That makes whatever her story was a news story. Anastasia was on the tour for years. And gradually moved up the rankings. And then she won a major in which the top players arguably didn't play their best.
The 17 year old coming from nowhere to win Wimbledon is a more non-tennis type success story.
Rags to riches, suddenly.
lol... not exactly rags to riches. she has won numerous titles... started seriously competing last year and earning very good money for herself.. she was also ranked 32 on the rise at the end of 2003...
so it's definitely not rags to riches just because of wimbledon...

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:06 PM
It is rags to riches. She had no money. She has a coach, an agent, a trainer. Winning Tier III's doesn't make you wealthy.
Now she can make millions in endorsement money. It is rags to riches. It's also a tennis player becoming a celebrity.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:07 PM
And that story (about 700$) according to Tarpishev is not true. Of course Tarpishev is not the most reliable source, but the story is too touching to be true. But American media needs it.

I believe I said that earlier Nastyafan..... ... we think alike. Of course deckham we think alike:yeah: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=privatemessage#)
but still I said it earlier (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=3627435&postcount=86):p

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:10 PM
I don't like that muscular body stuff. Lena D. has muscles. Some women can't develop big muscles, no matter how hard they train. And some can develop big muscles without even trying.

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:13 PM
A 17 year old, who was unknown outside tennis circles, wins Wimbledon. That's a news story, not just a sports story.
Serena played better in England. I saw the Kirilenko match in Paris.
you keep comparing these little individual matches throughout the tournament.... myskina did not play her best tennis in wimbledon, so there's a top player who didn't play well. Venus was knocked out immediately, she didn't play well. Dementieva was beat in the first round, she didn't play well.
you can't say all the players didn't play well in the french open.

French Open was Serena, Venus, Capriati, Myskina, Sharapova, Mauresmo, Suarez, and Dementieva in the quarterfinals.... that is the number 3,4,6,7,8,10,11,15 ranked players in the world.... (that's without the #1 and #2 in the world!)... that makes 7 of the top 10 in the world for that tournament were in the quarterfinals....

Wimbledon was Serena, Mauresmo, Suarez, Sharapova, Capriati, Davenport, Sprem, Sugiyama in the quarterfinals............. that is the number
4,5,7,10,11,12,15,30 in the world.

No more excuses about the best not playing in the French open..... they were there and myskina ran right through them.

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:15 PM
And that story (about 700$) according to Tarpishev is not true. Of course Tarpishev is not the most reliable source, but the story is too touching to be true. But American media needs it.

Of course deckham we think alike:yeah: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=privatemessage#)
but still I said it earlier (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=3627435&postcount=86):p
lol... you're good..... :worship:

ok ok.... you win....glad to see we have the same opinion on that topic though... :)

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:16 PM
I don't want to argue who beat who. I'm going by what I see on tape. I think Maria's tennis is better than Nastya's.
I would have said the opposite before Wimbledon. But Maria went to a new level.
I don't care who she was playing.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Some muscles are fine (like Elena) But tooooo much muscles and fatness (Serena, Cap) or a body like Momo are awful
sorry if you like some of them

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:19 PM
It is rags to riches. She had no money. She has a coach, an agent, a trainer. Winning Tier III's doesn't make you wealthy.
Now she can make millions in endorsement money. It is rags to riches. It's also a tennis player becoming a celebrity.
winning tier III doesn't make you wealthy??? lol.... that is nearly $200,000 a tournament.... that is rags?????? That is money... and she won a couple of those tier III tournaments... so my point is that it is not rags to riches....it is a beautiful blonde to associate with tennis again that the american media is taking advantage of... and it doesn't hurt she lives in the states.. that's enough. Sharapova made $250,000 alone on tournaments in 2003.... not including her modelling.... nice rags...

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:21 PM
oh last night we compared Wiimby and RG about 36475647568345 times
not again

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:22 PM
I don't want to argue who beat who. I'm going by what I see on tape. I think Maria's tennis is better than Nastya's.
I would have said the opposite before Wimbledon. But Maria went to a new level.
I don't care who she was playing.
I know what you are saying... but Masha struggled at wimbledon in her quarters and semi's..... did straight sets over venus and capriati and then the final against dementieva... that's domination and that's making a statement.
Sharapova had rain delays and other players are very inexperienced against sharapova... sharapova now has to learn to play these same top players over and over again. They'll know her strategy the next time around... so she'll have to develop her game more in order to stay successful.

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:23 PM
oh last night we compared Wiimby and RG about 36475647568345 times
not again
i did not know you had spoken about this before.... i just don't like the argument that the best players at the french open didn't show up. they were there.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:23 PM
$250,000 for the whole year. Take out taxes, coach, trainer, agent.
Anna makes over $250,000 every 2 weeks.
Maria had no money 2 weeks ago.

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:25 PM
$250,000 for the whole year. Take out taxes, coach, trainer agent.
Anna makes over $250,000 every 2 weeks.
i don't care how much anna makes......... $250,000 - taxes, coach, trainer = NOT RAGS

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:25 PM
It is compared to having tens of millions.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:29 PM
i did not know you had spoken about this before.... i just don't like the argument that the best players at the french open didn't show up. they were there.I don't like either, and I didn't sleep all night argueing with GL but no result

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Serena won 20 straight matches at Wimbledon. There's no comparison to that win.
Unless Nastya beats Borg in Paris.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:35 PM
new argument!
well Venus won 19 (think) straight matches before RG

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:37 PM
LOL! Yes, a new argument. Venus never won the FO. Serena was one win from a threepeat.

Nastyafan
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:40 PM
and Monica had 34-35 straight wins at AO So Serena is far behind

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:41 PM
LOL! Yes, a new argument. Venus never won the FO. Serena was one win from a threepeat.
she beat a recooperating serena.... yes.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:41 PM
I'm not attacking Nastya. She's the Russian #1. And the French Open champion.
I'm just saying that I watched a very high level of tennis at Wimbledon.
I called it after the Hantuchova match. I said Maria would win Wimbledon.

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:46 PM
I'm not attacking Nastya. She's the Russian #1. And the French Open champion.
I'm just saying that I watched a very high level of tennis at Wimbledon.
I called it after the Hantuchova match. I said Maria would win Wimbledon.
ok... so what are you getting at?

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Are you dopey? I'm only saying one thing. - I thought Maria played great tennis.

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Are you dopey? I'm only saying one thing. - I thought Maria played great tennis.
that has been your entire argument??? that maria has been playing great tennis???

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:50 PM
What did you think I was saying?

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:53 PM
What did you think I was saying?
why are you comparing myskina and sharapova then.... we'll all agree that sharapova has played great tennis.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:55 PM
I think if a Russian wins the US Open, it will be Maria. Or someone else improved.
I think that's what started this. I think semis for anyone is great. But I only expect Maria to go further. But she can get knocked off on a bad day.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:59 PM
I don't think the tennis Nastya played in Paris will win in Queens. QF or SF, not win.
Then it's become an argument.

deckham
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:59 PM
I think if a Russian wins the US Open, it will be Maria. Or someone else improved.
I think that's what started this. I think semis for anyone is great. But I only expect Maria to go further. But she can get knocked off on a bad day.
ah ok.... i wasn't there when it started. but you're saying that masha has a better chance of winning the u.s. open than myskina right?

deckham
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:04 AM
I don't think the tennis Nastya played in Paris will win in Queens. QF or SF, not win.
Then it's become an argument.
ok... that's when the argument started. yes...i disagree with you. I think Nastya has a better, smarter game...but we can't really argue this topic... it's kinda silly too..

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:05 AM
I hope Nastya or Sveta wins it. That means they can beat Serena and Justine on hardcourt.
I think Maria has the best chance. But I don't think she's the favorite. But if she's on, like the Wimbledon final, Maria has a real chance.

deckham
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:12 AM
I hope Nastya or Sveta wins it. That means they can beat Serena and Justine on hardcourt.
I think Maria has the best chance. But I don't think she's the favorite. But if she's on, like the Wimbledon final, Maria has a real chance.
well if she's on ... yes she has a chance... but now people will know her style and have finally gotten one match under their belt with her... so she's going to have to play better than before... adapt her game.

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:17 AM
She has to play steadier. Maria's serve and return of serve give her a big advantage over most players.
Her movement and her service return were big improvements in her game.
Maria can break anyone. And you could see her opponents feeling the pressure she puts on them.

deckham
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:20 AM
She has to play steadier. Maria's serve and return of serve give her a big advantage over most players.
Her movement and her service return were big improvements in her game.
Maria can break anyone. And you could see her opponents feeling the pressure she puts on them.
yes... that's her style. she's very free swinging and goes for the winners. That is the advantage she has over anyone else who wants to hit power for power from the baseline. sharapova will be successful against serena and venus for that reason... it's the all around gamers like myskina and henin that will give her the hardest time... slices, drop shots, etc...

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Anastasia has to hold. She gets broken a lot. Maria is going after Nastya's serve. Just like she goes after Elena D.'s serve.

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:29 AM
This is Nastya's cheering thread. She's the Russian #1, and French Open champion. I hope she wins the US Open.
If she makes the semis in Queens, I'll be very happy. If she wins, I'll write a great post in here.

deckham
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Anastasia has to hold. She gets broken a lot. Maria is going after Nastya's serve. Just like she goes after Elena D.'s serve.
well after 2 times around sharapova needs to learn to do something else as well... becuase sharapova isn't too successful against nastya.

deckham
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:38 AM
This is Nastya's cheering thread. She's the Russian #1, and French Open champion. I hope she wins the US Open.
If she makes the semis in Queens, I'll be very happy. If she wins, I'll write a great post in here.
lol...ok. we'll hold you to that.... but we don't like sympathy votes in here! :fiery:

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:43 AM
I think Maria improved at Wimbledon. She has to prove herself on hardcourt. I want Nastya, Maria, Sveta, Lena to all be top 5 at the same time.

deckham
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:51 AM
I think Maria improved at Wimbledon. She has to prove herself on hardcourt. I want Nastya, Maria, Sveta, Lena to all be top 5 at the same time.
lol... that would be amazing....

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 12:58 AM
They're all in the top 9 now. And Maria's definately moving up. Sveta has less than 100 points to defend after the US Open.
They're all closing in.

deckham
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:09 AM
They're all in the top 9 now. And Maria's definately moving up. Sveta has less than 100 points to defend after the US Open.
They're all closing in.
It could happen... definitely. I don't know if it will but it will be fun to see if it does.

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:13 AM
I expect Maria to join Nastya in the top 5. Sveta can do it if she has a big fall. Lena D. needs a very big fall.

ys
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:17 AM
I expect Maria to join Nastya in the top 5. Sveta can do it if she has a big fall. Lena D. needs a very big fall.
I hope neither will fall.

deckham
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:22 AM
I hope neither will fall.
It's all about nastya!!!! and i hope other russians do well to... but to me it's all about nastya..... :bounce:

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:23 AM
I hope Nastya doesn't fall this fall.

deckham
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:29 AM
I hope Nastya doesn't fall this fall.
She won't ... she'll stay on the rise.... :woohoo:

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Nastya has 1,200 points to defend after the US Open. So she might fall. Nastya needs big results the rest of this season.

deckham
Jul 15th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Nastya has 1,200 points to defend after the US Open. So she might fall. Nastya needs big results the rest of this season.
ofcourse she does... and she'll get them too. she's a gamer!!

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Sveta has 450 to defend this year. Maria has less than 400. So Nastya will need results.

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Nastya has so many points to defend after Queens, that I wanted her to play two California tournaments.
And try to get to #1 this summer.

Daniel
Jul 15th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Good luck!!!! :bigclap: :bounce: :worship: :kiss: :smooch:

Daniel
Jul 15th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Wishinh her a good result in San Diego :worship: :D