PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Athletic Anastasia Myskina !!!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87

Vass22
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:06 PM
Nastya can't play defensively tomorrow, in my opinion. Atleast not like she played against Venus. She should aim for winners from time to time and continue with point construction 9like she always does).

cool_olga
Jun 2nd, 2004, 08:57 PM
She has to mix it. Try to keep the ball inbut also try some powerful and stronger shots sometimes.
Preview here http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/multi.php?pokaz=main/article.php?aid=25

cool_olga
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:37 PM
Also if somebody didn't see match you can download video with best actions and short interview here http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/multi.php?pokaz=main/videos.htm

TartarVicario
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:39 PM
Cool Olga,I will not criticize her if her rank is between 20 and 30 and she is 14 years old.I will say Oh great match,you played wisely.But It isn't the way that world No.4 or 5 plays.I didn't see anything but her agility and mental tounghness on the key points.I accept these two things are essential but she must have more weapons out there.I don't think these two things are enough to stay at No.4 or to be No.1 when Every Top player can play at their level.That's why Nastya can't defeat Kim,Linzi and Momo these days.Think about it if Vee didn't have many UEs that day what will happen.If she came to the net more.Simply I think one way she can beat Jen is Jen plays badly and have to a lot of mistake tomorrow.

goldenlox
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:48 PM
Maybe. We'll see tomorrow. Nastya will be in the top 5 for a while. This is her first semifinal at a major.
Capriati has an advantage in experience. That could mean something. I think the winner of this one is the favorite in the final.

TartarVicario
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:53 PM
Nastya and Demen really have big chances.Jen plays O.K. but not too good :)

- L i n a -
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:15 PM
Good luck, Nastya.

Gonna have to really step up your game... because I doubt Jen will give you this win.

Play well... you've proven you can beat her. :)

goldenlox
Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:59 PM
Nastya has to handle the pressure of this moment. She did it against Venus.
When in doubt, play safe.

Derek.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:13 PM
Jen plays O.K. but not too good :)

;) Don't underestimate her because it may just come back and but you in rear. :p Good luck Nastya! :angel:

Almalyk
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:53 AM
:hearts: :hearts: I would love to see Anastasia pull off this victory, and play the final. It has been such an exciting week - I never expected this!

I saw Nastya in Sydney at the start of the year (at the airport) and I couldn't believe how tiny she was! But she has done very well this year, especially against all odds at the French Open.

I think she has a good chance, but she needs to play consistently. Rise to number 3 Nastya!

:hearts: :lick: :lick:

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:09 AM
Nastya has a great chance. I know that she'll play well.
Udachi Nastya!!

Daniel
Jun 3rd, 2004, 12:49 PM
Good luck Anastasia :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 01:54 PM
The court is playing much faster than Tuesday. It's going to be as much about nerves, as about tennis.
This is the biggest match Nastya has ever played.

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:05 PM
Nastya is playing the same style that she played against Venus. Nastya is so fast, and so steady. She should always be winning on clay.
3-0.

the cat
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:12 PM
Udachi Anastasia! :bounce: I want an all Russina grand slam final for the very first time. And it would nice if it is Elena Dementieva versus Anastasia Myskina. :D

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:15 PM
Nastya is feeling the pressure. She gave away 2 games. And Capriati wasn't playing well. 2-3.

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:23 PM
Nastya has a perfect game for clay. I'll never understand why she didn't have good results until this FO.
Now 2-5, Jenn serving.

ys
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:23 PM
Nastya plays like she has no nerves at all..

Epigone
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:25 PM
Nastya took the 1st set 6-2 :yippee:

ONE MORE SET!!!!!

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:26 PM
6-2. Nastya makes Venus and Jennifer look inept. One set from the final Nastya has always wanted against Elena.

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:27 PM
hopefully nastya doesn't let her nerves get to her..
lena played a good 1st set then tightened up in the 2nd..

Arhivarius
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:29 PM
First set 6:2 to Myskina!
So far she just plays better that Capriati. :)

ys
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:30 PM
Nastya plays amazing so far..

Daniel
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:31 PM
Good luck Anastasia :D :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:37 PM
When Nastya just plays safe, she wins every game. 2-6, 1-2.

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:39 PM
Nastya is very impressive... she seems to move so much better than Jen does.

Unless Jen is able to start producing lots of winners... it looks like an all-Russian final.

I'm shocked.

Daniel
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:43 PM
Vamos Anastasia :)

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:48 PM
We need a break here, 2-6, 2-3.

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:53 PM
6-2 5-2...

It's hard to believe we're 4 points away from an all-Russian Grand Slam final...

Epigone
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:54 PM
Nastya just broke Capriati from 40-15 to get to *4-2, then held for 5-2.

ONE MORE GAME!!!!

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Just one more game

goldenlox
Did you see that point to go up 40-0, 4-2? Nastya is playing with her. Like a cat with a ball of yarn.
2-6, 2-5.

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:55 PM
Did you see that point to go up 40-0, 4-2? Nastya is playing with her. Like a cat with a ball of yarn.
2-6, 2-5.
I know... I'm just speechless.

I can't believe what I'm seeing. :p

Epigone
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:57 PM
Nastya wins 6-2 6-2 :woohoo:

It's gonna be an all-Russian GS final :dance:

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
all russian final!! :) :bounce:

goldenlox
Yikes!! A freakin' demolition.

Daniel
She won!!!! oh my fucking hell, she did it , i cant be more happy for her, she deseves to win the title here now!!! Well done baby!!! :kiss:

Arhivarius
Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:59 PM
Done!
Roland Garros is Russian today! :)

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:00 PM
And Russian on Saturday, too.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:00 PM
Nastya :woohoo: :D :)

what a tournament :D :)

Nastya :kiss: :hug: :banana: :)

well done baby :)

sPAWrty
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:01 PM
SHe did it ! I'm nearly crying in delight :aparty: :aparty: :aparty:
:hysteric:

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:02 PM
Wow! Those last 3 games from Nastya.. that was sooo impressive.

Nastya is now #3 in the world... and I think, is the favorite to win the final.

Amazing.

What a great day for Russian fans.

goldenlox
Nastya just beat two Americans who had won 7 majors. And both in straight sets.

Daniel
Guys, this is so unbelievable, Nastya is in ther first Grand Slam final, many of us expected her to lose against molik, and two weeks later she is playing Dementieva for the title . This is just amazing from her. I wish her the best and man, she deserves to win on Saturday. She is such a fighter :kiss:

Arhivarius
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
What is amazing is that it was not even close. :)

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:05 PM
Guys, this is so unbelievable, Nastya is in ther first Grand Slam final, many of us expected her to lose against molik, and two weeks later she is playing Dementieva for the title . This is just amazing from her. I wish her the best and man, she deserves to win on Saturday. She is such a fighter :kiss:
Yes... and Nastya was dead and buried by another Russian in the 4th round. :p

Russian tennis looks very very bright.

AKTW
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:06 PM
Congrats Nastya!
I just can't believe. An all-Russian final at RG!

vaiva
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Nastia :aparty:

Simply amazing :bounce:

Daniel
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:11 PM
Yes... and Nastya was dead and buried by another Russian in the 4th round. :p

Russian tennis looks very very bright.

opss i forgot she saved match point against Sveta :o
Anyways, Good luck Anastasia in the final!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

kournikovafan13
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:11 PM
omg...I'm in shock

What a amazing win :bounce:

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:19 PM
:bounce: can't wait until they put up the interviews :bounce:

JLDementieva
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:24 PM
I'm so thrilled I'm speechless, this is all I've ever dreamed for!!!! YAY Nastya!!

cool_olga
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:24 PM
OMG OMG :woohoo:
Nastya is the final !!!!! That's incredoble !!!!
She played great game and deserved that so much !!! :) :) :yeah:
Nastya I'm so happy for you !!!!!!! You did great job!!!

cool_olga
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:29 PM
It's so hard to talk about that, so much excitment !!! :D
Nastya is so great player and this day is just awesome! Yeah last three games were unbelivable, hitting winners all the time she looked more relaxed than nervous that moment that shows she is ready for big things :banana:

Nastya !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nah :p

Daniel
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:30 PM
Hey cool olga :wavey:
Good luck in the final Anastasia!!!!
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:35 PM
What has impressed me most is Nastya's confidence.

At 6-3 5-4 against Venus... Nastya could have easily collapsed under the pressure, and let Venus start finding her game... but she didn't. Nastya looked relaxed, and still went for her shots.

At 6-2 3-2 against Jen... Nastya just took all control. Nastya was brimming confidence, and I have never seen that from her. Nastya didn't let Jen lose that match... she went out there, and strangleholded that win. Awesome, awesome stuff... I am so impressed.

sartrista7
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:43 PM
That was amazing. So. Fucking. Awesome.

Nastya :worship:

cool_olga
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:44 PM
Yeah! You could see she is so calm and relaxed! Even more than so experienced Jenny. It's just unbelivable it seems real breakthrough for Nastya. She is acting much different on court now than she was before, she's no afraid. She got a break at 3-2 in second and didn't let Caoriati to come back but was playing even better, just didn't give her any chance, no shaking but great winners and actions, SHE IS GREAT!!!!
Also if she wins this grand slam who knows how her career will look after that. Slam victory gives a lot of confidence, player starts to think she can do everything.
Nastya won't have better chance that this and I belive she will win I really do now!

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Not only does Nastya get to play in a slam final, but she gets to face Dementieva.
Just like those Spartak days?
The way Nastya has played these last 2 matches, I don't understand her whole clay court career.
It doesn't matter now. I think the future looks pretty good for Nastya.

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:48 PM
The way Nastya has played these last 2 matches, I don't understand any of her career... except for a handful of tournaments. :p

Hopefully, she continues to ride this wave of confidence.

Daniel
Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:54 PM
LEt's hope she rest and on Saturday she comes ready to win the title. She deserves it, and I wish her the best :clap2: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:50 PM
Anastasia Myskina interview
Thursday, June 3, 2004http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/players/wtam533.jpg

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/headers/fo4510h2_e.gif Q. What are your thoughts on reaching your first Grand Slam final?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Oh, I'm really happy. I mean, that was one of my dream, and one of the goals for this year. And I'm really enjoy the time here.

Q. You must have expected a tougher match today.

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Yeah, that's true. I mean, Jennifer was not play her best today. I mean, I really used that, and I play good tennis. I think I play smart today and I won.

Q. When you say you played smart, what do you think you did well?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I mean, she was doing lot of unforced errors, and I wasn't rushing. So I was let her do that. Was move her around a lot today. You know, just played my best, I think.

Q. Did you want to mix up the pace of the match today, give some hard, flat balls, but also some softer topspin balls, make her generate the pace?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Yeah, that was one of the strategy that my coach gave it to me today, and I was doing this really well. It work.

Q. Did you also want to serve a lot of balls into her body?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I was really work on my serve. At the beginning of this week, that was not really good. And today, yeah, I was kind of just try to serve first serve, a lot of percentage of the first serve. Doesn't really matter where. Somewhere.

Q. How much of a breakthrough mentally was that victory over Venus? How much of a lift did that give you coming into the match?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Not a lot really. I mean, of course, it's a lot of confidence give to me. But with Jennifer, it's a little bit different because she just -- we just play couple weeks ago in Berlin, and she beat me there. I was just thinking about rematch, and I was thinking about to play my best.

Q. Where did you get the nerves and the confidence to hit the last two shots that you hit?>

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: You know, when you up 6-2, 5-2, you should take a risk. I took that. Because I didn't really want to play like three sets today.

So I just thought, "All right, I do or I miss." Was in.

Q. Were you nervous then?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: No. Today too tired to nervous.

Q. Why are you tired?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: It's two weeks tournament. Never played that far. So, you know, too much tennis.

Q. How are you going to be on Saturday?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: We'll see (smiling).

Q. Could you tell us about your relationship with Elena?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I think I know her all my life because she met when we were six first time, maybe seven, I'm not sure. But we've been growing up together. We used to practicing with the one coach, Marat Safin mom. We played Juniors. We played Team Tennis together. We do everything together. And we pretty good friends - I hope still (smiling).

So, you know, we really know each other really well. So it's going to be advantage from both of us, but is not really advantage because she knows my game, I know her game. I think who is mentally going to be stronger, that person going to win.

Q. Will it be harder to play someone who is such a good friend of yours in a match that is so important?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I mean, it's really hard already because you're in French Open final. I don't know if can be something harder than that.

Of course, it's going to be lot of pressure. But we in the same condition. I think it's a lot of pressure on her, as well. So, you know, we'll see.

Q. The public perception was that whoever won that Serena/Jennifer match would be favoured the rest of the way. Did that help you today?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I didn't hear that, so I didn't really think about it.

Q. Elena spoke about you coming from the same tennis club in Moscow. Could you tell us about that tennis club?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: It's Spartak. It's a small club, I mean, it's really nice club, famous, because they have a soccer and hockey team there, as well. Now is famous because we used to practice there (smiling). That's pretty much it.

Q. You and Elena, are you staying at the same hotel this fortnight?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: No.

Q. Do you often have a dinner some time during a tournament together?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Not really because I stay in the Champs Elysees, and she stay right here. I mean, of course, we're friends, but still it's a tournament, and it's a singles tournament, so I prefer to stay with my team, and she prefer to stay with her team.

Q. Do you expect that you probably will avoid each other for the next day and a half before the match? Will you sit down and have a conversation at all?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Oh, yeah, of course, maybe lunch tomorrow, press conference tomorrow.

I mean, we're normal people. Before the match, it's one more day. So we still should talk, I think. So we'll see.

Q. That fifth game of the second set was very, very crucial. Both of you had chances. Can you take us through that game, some of the tension you felt?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I felt a lot of pressure. I felt really tired. I don't know why, but my shoulder, it was really tired to serving in this game. I was just really thinking that if I will win this game, it's going to give me lot of advantage because I'm going to be up. I know that I can't break Jennifer's serve, because I was not really a hundred percent today of the first serve of Jennifer, so I was really thinking to win this game.

Q. How much of a boost will this be for Russian women's tennis?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I don't know. I hope it's going to be even more popular right now. People are going to talk. I think everybody right now is so happy for both of us. No matter who's going to win, it's going to be the Russian trophy.

Q. Do you consider your forehand or your backhand your better shot?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I don't know if Elena going to read that. I think backhand.

Q. You missed quite a few into the net today, very easy ones. Seems surprising if it's your best shot.

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: It's the pressure. It's the semifinal of French Open. I really want to win the match and I knew that I could do it. I was really nervous, shake my hand.

Q. Normally would your better shot be the one let you down? It's your better shot that let you down today. Your backhand is your best shot, but you missed your backhands.

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Because I take risk more from my backhand side.

Q. Olga is in the other camp. Have you ever had a chance to sit with her and talk about Russian tennis about the way it was in the 1970s?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Not really because she live in England. She used to live in England. I didn't really see her that much. But she's a great -- she used to be great tennis player, and she great person. I mean, I think she gave Elena lot of things and she really improve her.

Q. American kids grow up, their heroes are Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe. How much of a hero was Olga when you were a young junior?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Oh, she was really something big for us, you know. We really was watching. Didn't really have a lot of tennis on TV back at that time, but we was reading the books about her. If somebody brought a tapes, we've been watching her. She was kind of like idol for us.

I mean, it's great that we have that people in our country.

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:52 PM
Nastya :worship:

cool_olga
Jun 3rd, 2004, 04:54 PM
Don't really know what to say but I feel this tournament is the most important moment in her career. She has great chance to win now. She always plays great against other Russians. And when player wins grand slam then it's completely difefrent story, she gains so much confidence and can change later career (look at Henin).
So much emotions today, all I can say now is that Nastya is different player now, something changed in her and changed for good. She's right there with the top

This final kind of came from nothing. No expectations before it after so bad clay season. Now she plays calm and is not nervous at important moments. The thing that was destroying her chances at some important times before now works great.

btw. Read that ESPN commentators asked her what she was going to do from now until Saturday and she said she was going to play cards! It calms her down! :p

- L i n a -
Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:00 PM
Q. Why are you tired?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: It's two weeks tournament. Never played that far. So, you know, too much tennis.
This is the only part that surprises me...

Nastya has played many tournaments in a row, and has played 10-11 matches in 2 weeks, numerous times.

I wouldn't think she'd be tired with this.

cool_olga
Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:22 PM
I was kind of just try to serve first serve, a lot of percentage of the first serve. Doesn't really matter where. Somewhere.
We played Juniors. We played Team Tennis together. We do everything together. And we pretty good friends - I hope still (smiling).

Funny :p

Think it's gonna be great final, trophy will be in Russia. Hope that in Nastya's hands :D

Play cards Nastya, make puzzles you will rest if you're tired :p

That suprised you but Grand Slam is always difefrent, she has days off but it's more nervous and the athmosphere is different, everything is busier and crazier. I think making final cost her a lot and she can feel tired that good she managed to win this match easily she has day off and can prepare well, mentally because it will be most important

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 05:58 PM
Nastya is #3 in the world. And in the final of the French Open. Wow!
Suddenly, an Olympic medal in singles is not such a longshot.

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
http://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gif
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos_rx/myskina_4492_rx.jpg
© Getty Images
http://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gif
Myskina Crushes Capriati to Reach Roland Garros Final

PARIS - Anastasia Myskina reached her first Grand Slam final on Thursday at Roland Garros, over-powering No.7 seed Jennifer Capriati, 62 62 in only 61 minutes. The No.6 seed will take on fellow Russian and No.9 seed Elena Dementieva, who defeated No.14 seed Paola Suarez, 60 75 for a spot in Saturday's championship match.

"I'm really happy," said Myskina on reaching a Grand Slam final. "That was one of my dream, and one of the goals for this year."

Myskina didn't experience too many problems reaching the championship match, switching up the pace of the points on several occasions to throw off Capriati's game.

"She can hit the ball really hard, and then sometimes she'll just hit the ball with no pace, nothing," Capriati said. "You don't know what she's going to do. But she's very, very fast, and a lot of people don't think she's so fast, but she's really fast."

Myskina cruised through the first set in just half an hour, dropping her serve just once to go up 6-2. In the second set, after fighting off three break point opportunities at 2-2, Myskina picked up her first break of the second set for 4-2 and held serve on the following game to move one game away from the championship match.

"She was doing lot of unforced errors, and I wasn't rushing," Myskina said. "So I was let her do that. I was trying to move her around a lot today."

Capriati had entered the match fresh off a three-set victory against No.2 seed Serena Williams. She was looking to win her second French and fourth overall Grand Slam title.

"Obviously it just wasn't my day," Capriati said. "I just had no rhythm, no timing on my shots. They were like flying. I haven't been used to someone hitting the ball really so -- I don't know. She was just kind of almost pushing it on purpose and hitting it really with no pace on purpose."

Myskina now stands one match away from winning her first Grand Slam title, but will have to do it against good friend and compatriot, Dementieva. The two players grew up playing at the same club in Moscow and both use to be coached by Raouza Islanova, the mother of Marat Safin and Dinara Safina.

"I've known her all my life because we met when we were six first time, maybe seven, I'm not sure. But we've been growing up together. We used to practicing with the one coach, Marat Safin's mom. We played juniors. We played Team Tennis together. We do everything together. And we pretty good friends - I hope still.

"So, we know each other really well. So it's going to be advantage from both of us, but is not really advantage because she knows my game, I know her game. I think who is mentally going to be stronger, that person going to win."

Derek.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:10 PM
Good luck Nastya! :bounce: Believe in yourself because you can win this! :D

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:13 PM
This is the first all Spartak final at a major.

Task
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:24 PM
Capriati conquered by the Amazing Athletic Annilating Assassin Anastasia Myskina.

I think that would make a nice headline to describe today's match.

Congratulations Anastasia and good luck in the final. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:31 PM
MYSKINA RELISHING ALL-RUSSIAN TUSSLE

Sixth seed Anastasia Myskina of Russia was ecstatic after booking her place in the first-ever all-Russian French Open final where she will face compatriot Elena Dementieva at Roland Garros on Saturday.

Last time a Russian woman was seen in the final of Roland Garros was in 1988 when Natasha Zvereva, from the former Soviet Union, suffered a shock 6-0 6-0 exit in a record 34 minutes by Steffi Graf of Germany.

But Myskina and Dementieva today wrote their names into the history books after ousting Capriati and Paola Suarez of Argentina, respectively, to reach the final stage of the Parisian tournament.

"I am really, really happy," Myskina said.

"Reaching a Grand Slam final was one of my goals this year.

"Jennifer was not at her best today and I took advantage of that."

As well as an all-Russian clash, the final will also be a fierce battle between two friends who grew up in Moscow together and learnt to play tennis in the same club, the Spartak club which is also famous for its football and ice hockey teams.

"It seems I have known Elena all my life," Myskina added.

"We first met when we were six or seven, we grew up together and we had the same coach, Marat Safin's mother, when we were kids.

"We are really good friends, and I hope we will still be after the final," she said laughing.

"It is both an advantage and an inconvenience to play against each other in the final because we know each other's games so well."

Dementieva also acknowledged that neither of the players have anything more to learn about the other.

She said: "We have played each other so many times, probably more than 30 times.

"She is a friend, we started at the same time, played in the same club, we basically grew up together."

Meanwhile Capriati looked appalled by her own performance and admitted she was not good enough to overcome Myskina.

"It was a bad day, an off day for me today," Capriati said at her after-match press conference.

"I had no rhythm, no timing on my shots, I was flat, I wasn't good enough.

"That's the way sport is, sometimes you have no control on things.

"I got pretty crazy inside, I tried to figure out ways of changing my game but when it's not there, it's not there."

Capriati also admitted her three-set win over second seed Serena Williams in the quarter-finals prevented her from focusing enough.

"Maybe there was too much hype on that match with Serena," she added.

"I couldn't focus on the next one, I did not have enough time to concentrate on it.

"But Myskina played good, solid tennis today.

"She can hit the ball hard and then the minute later with no pace at all, her game is very hard to read but I did not make it difficult for her at all."

the cat
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:37 PM
Congrats to Anastasia on making the 2004 French Open final! :kiss: She deserves it. :) Her fine all court game is so much fun to watch. :D Anastasia who moves so well really is a Bolshoi ballerina in tennis shoes! :cool:

Derek.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:38 PM
Nastya is just truely great! :D Good luck in the final, Nastya! :bounce:

cool_olga
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:59 PM
Wow, that's cool, Moscow club Spartak no has GS final. That's just great. And nastya is #3. When she was reaching top 5 ranking we were saying it will be very hard to keep in spring. Now Willliams are back, Henin is back, almost everybody and Nastya reaches #3. Isn't that beautiful?

Almalyk
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:02 PM
Yeah!!!
Go Nastya!
What a performance - saving your best for the later rounds! Amazing!

WIN THE FINAL!!!

Derek.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:04 PM
:D Good luck, Nastya! :woohoo:

Task
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:14 PM
Go Anastasia :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

And the headline from the Tuesday match should have read:

Planet Venus destroyed by Death Star Myskina

goldenlox
Jun 3rd, 2004, 09:20 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040603/i/r572390724.jpg Thu Jun 3,12:14 PM EThttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/p/reuters120.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/reuters/brand/SIG=pd7i95/*http://www.reuters.com)
Anastasia Myskina of Russia celebrates after her semifinal win over Jennifer Capriati of the United States, at the French Open in Paris, June 3, 2004. Myskina won the match 6-2 6-2. Photo by Jack Dabaghian/Reuters

Hurley
Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:32 PM
At 6-2 3-2 against Jen... Nastya just took all control. Nastya was brimming confidence, and I have never seen that from her. Nastya didn't let Jen lose that match... she went out there, and strangleholded that win. Awesome, awesome stuff... I am so impressed.

You're absolutely right...I don't know what match the rapidly slipping Carillo was watching, but in the final three games Nastya just crushed her. Jenn had nothing to do with that second set...Nastya just BEAT her.

I really hope she wins on Saturday! :banana:

goldenlox
Jun 4th, 2004, 12:24 AM
In the last 4 years, only 4 different players have won a major. Nastya has just beaten 2 of them. Both in straight sets.
Nastya is very deserving of being the fifth player to win a major since the 2000 French Open.

Derek.
Jun 4th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Good luck Anastasia! :bounce:

goldenlox
Jun 4th, 2004, 02:15 AM
I was just thinking about Nastya's draw in Paris. Molik in round one. Sveta in the round of 16, and then Venus, Serena, and Jennifer were all in Nastya's half.
And Nastya came through. It is an amazing run. She did it the hard way. No backing in to this final.

TartarVicario
Jun 4th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Awesome stuff Nastya :yeah:

Atleast She proved that she can play various styles and played well on big moments.

Good luck in the final :)

Daniel
Jun 4th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Good luck Anastasia!!!!

Derek.
Jun 4th, 2004, 01:36 PM
I was watching Nastya's match with Capriati & I noticed when they came to shake hands after the match, Jen wiped her nose and then shook hands with Nastya! :mad:

cool_olga
Jun 4th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Well Derek maybe it's not that she has no respect sometimes you has to wipe your nose :p
I don't think she meant something bad, I hope

Great pic of Nastya and Lena with Russian flag :) Great moment

http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/main/photo.htm

JLDementieva
Jun 4th, 2004, 02:20 PM
OMG that's such a cute pic!! thanks cool olga!

Derek.
Jun 4th, 2004, 02:26 PM
I don't think she meant something bad, I hope

I know, but you don't do it the second before he shake hands with your opponent. :rolleyes:

goldenlox
Jun 4th, 2004, 02:33 PM
"Yeltsin brought sponsorship and people who wanted to give money to girls and Anna changed things a lot as well," says Myskina. "She was the one who began all these things."

While Kournikova was at the start of the revolution, Myskina is at its centre and both she and childhood friend Dementieva are poised to win one of the greatest prizes in sport.

no1mariafan
Jun 4th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Good Luck Anastasia for tomorow!

May the best russian win!

Derek.
Jun 4th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Good luck Nastya! :D

goldenlox
Jun 4th, 2004, 06:00 PM
No matter what happens on Saturday, Nastya is #3 in the world. This is the highest ranking a Russian woman has ever had.
The very top of the tennis mountain is not far away.

Maggie May
Jun 5th, 2004, 03:36 AM
I would like to see Anastasia win as I feel she has been underrated by many as a real force in the game and seen sometimes a top ten player but nothing more. I feel she has better wins and has been the top Russian and this would be a deserved reward

Vass22
Jun 5th, 2004, 12:28 PM
I THINK that I'm going with Nastya in this. It might change during the match though.
GO Nastya!
ДАВАЙ НАСТЕНЬКА!

Daniel
Jun 5th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Good luck Anastasia!!!!

Derek.
Jun 5th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Gooooooo Nastya! :D Believe in yourself! :)

Daniel
Jun 5th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Congratulations to Myskina: Rolang Garros Champion :worship: :clap2:

the cat
Jun 5th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Congratulation to Anastasia Myskina on winning the 2003 French Open and becoming the first Russian woman to win a grand slam singles title. :D :kiss: :bounce:

JLDementieva
Jun 5th, 2004, 02:24 PM
YAY Anastasia! :D:D:D

Daniel
Jun 5th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Well done Anastasia!!!! :bounce: :D :yeah: :dance: :banana:

vaiva
Jun 5th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Congrats, Nastia :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Impressive wins over Venus, Capriati and Dementieva was a perfect response to those who said she was not a worthy top-tenner :p

Daniel
Jun 5th, 2004, 02:34 PM
She is #3 in the world starting from Monday, just imagine if she gets to #1, i hope she does :D :bounce:

goldenlox
Jun 5th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Nastya won the 2004 French Open final 6-1, 6-2. This was never in doubt. Nastya is a great clay court player. So what was she doing at Roland Garros the last few years?

Now comes a new challenge for Nastya. She has to show the rest of the tour that this French Open is a real example of Nastya's ability. Nastya has to be very prepared for Birmingham.

Celebrate now, you've earned it. Then get focused for the grass season. More fun coming.

vaiva
Jun 5th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Nastya has to be very prepared for Birmingham.

She is not playing Birmingham. She has more important things to do ;)

goldenlox
Jun 5th, 2004, 02:56 PM
I meant Eastbourne. My mistake. I'm preparing to follow Birmingham.

~SunFlower~
Jun 5th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Congratulation to Anastasia Myskina! Well-deserved victory after beating Venus and Cappy. :D

bubble
Jun 5th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Great job Myskina!
Roland Garros Champion 2004! :yeah:

cool_olga
Jun 5th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Gosh gosh that's unbelievable !!!!
I don't know what to say NASTYA IS THE QUEEN!!!! :worship:

Congratz for thiese two amazing weeks, Nastya today was less nervous she was playing great and it is so well deserved !!!! :yeah:

cool_olga
Jun 5th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Nastya can enjoy the title this week and then goes Eastbourne, she is highest seed there and last year lost early so here she can again earn many many points and prove her igh position in a ranking :) All top players Myskina is coming !! Ok, has already came :p

vaiva
Jun 5th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Olga, don't forget that Nastia still is a very streaky player (remember her results before this RG?).

I will not be surprised if she lost in rd1 again, so just don't get her expectations too high and enjoy the moment ;)

goldenlox
Jun 5th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Anastasia Myskina Wins French Open
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: June 5, 2004

PARIS (AP) -- Anastasia Myskina became the first Russian woman to claim a Grand Slam title, taking advantage of shaky play by compatriot Elena Dementieva to win 6-1, 6-2 Saturday at the French Open.

With unspectacular but steady tennis, the No. 6-seeded Myskina capitalized on Dementieva's erratic performance, including 10 double-faults, to win in 59 minutes.

The match was the first all-Russian Grand Slam final and marked the first time in 30 years Russia had even one woman in the final of a major.

The No. 9-seeded Dementieva has long been plagued by an unreliable serve, especially in big matches, and that was the case again in her first major final. She lost her first four service games, and missed her final four serves -- for two more double-faults -- to give Myskina a 5-2 lead in the second set.

Myskina herself double-faulted to lose the opening game, then settled down and won the next eight games. She closed the victory when Dementieva sent a return long, and the two foes and friends since childhood embraced at the net.

``It's a Grand Slam. It's a French Open against my friend,'' Myskina said. ``It's too much going on for me right now.''

As a brass band played the Russian national anthem during the postmatch ceremony, tears welled in Myskina's eyes.

Dementieva's best moment came during the trophy presentation when she spoke in fluent French to the delight of the crowd.

``It was the dream of my life to win Roland Garros, and it's a shame that I lost today,'' she said. ``I hope to come back and win next year.''

Argentina also has two players in a Grand Slam final for the first time. No. 3-seeded Guillermo Vilas will play unseeded Gaston Gaudio on Sunday, with the winner becoming the first Argentine man to win a major title since Guillermo Vilas at the 1979 Australian Open.

Dementieva and Myskina were the first Russians to reach a women's Grand Slam final since Dementieva's coach, Olga Morozova, was the runner-up at Wimbledon in 1974.

With women's tennis on the rise in Russia in recent years, Myskina has been among the nation's most talented young players. Still, the 22-year-old Moscow native wasn't among the favorites in this year's French Open.

She arrived in Paris with a 1-4 lifetime record at Roland Garros but led a wave of upsets, beating Venus Williams and 2001 champion Jennifer Capriati en route to the title.

The weather for the final was perfect -- sunny and 75 degrees -- but the tennis less so, especially from Dementieva. The match was as lopsided and error-filled as the two sloppy semifinals, with 50 errors by the two finalists and just 23 winners.

In Dementieva's opening service game she double-faulted, hit an ace and double-faulted again on the first three points. She double-faulted for a third time on break point as the crowd groaned.

``I was very nervous,'' Dementieva said.

Myskina appeared relaxed as she settled into the match. But Dementieva struggled with awkward footwork -- a sign of nerves -- and was often out of position on shots. Twice she hit swinging volleys into the net.

By the end of the first set, Dementieva had 19 unforced errors, including five double-faults. Her best shot may have been a mis-hit lob that landed on the net cord and dropped at the feet of a surprised Myskina, who dumped her reply into the net.

In the second set, Dementieva held for the first time to trail 2-1, then held again to close to 3-2, but she couldn't keep it up.

Serving at 2-4, she double-faulted on the first point and angrily shouted at herself in Russian. The outburst didn't help, and she finished with 33 unforced errors and just 11 winners.

Myskina became only the third woman -- and the first in 42 years -- to win the French Open after saving a match point. She was one point from defeat in her fourth-round victory against Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Myskina earned $1.02 million and Dementieva $510,000.

goldenlox
Jun 5th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Day 13 - Anastasia Myskina interview
Saturday, June 5, 2004http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/players/wtam533.jpg

http://www.rolandgarros.com/images/headers/fo4510h2_e.gif Q. So how does it feel to win your first Grand Slam title?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I feel great. What can I say? I just ‑‑ I can't believe still what I've done. Just really, really happy.

Q. You probably expected a tougher match than you got today.

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Probably, yes. But, I mean, I was really emotional. I was really nervous, as well. And I think, uhm, Elena was nervous more. She wasn't play really good.

But I did my best, and, I mean, I won.

Q. How do you go from a person in Australia who is emotional, yelling at the coach, yelling at the parents, even earlier in this tournament doing the same things, to a player who the last three matches was so calm, so cool, so in control of everything that was going on the court?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I was working myself. And I know that it doesn't help if you yell at somebody. I mean, first of all was yelling at myself more than anybody.

You know, it's hard work. And my coach was help me a lot on that part. Been working. And finally, I mean, I become more professional, I think, on the court.

Q. What does it mean to you to win a Grand Slam?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Oh, a lot. Everything. I mean, that's one of the goal. It's one of the dream. When you won, it's something, it's different. I mean, it's a lot of emotions, it's a lot of things going on right now. You know, it's really hard to explain what I'm feel, but I'm still shaking.

Q. You are not considered a clay court specialist, but you have demonstrated you can win indoors, grass. Is there a secret? Is it just work?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Definitely it's a hard work. I mean, if you professional tennis player, you have to play everywhere, and you have to win everywhere, like a lot of players did, like Justine, she was winning a lot everywhere.

I think, I mean, clay courts, it's a little bit slower, but it's still one of the surface where you practice in, where you play tournaments. So I was ready to play here good.

Q. In your origin as a tennis player, you used to play in Moscow with Elena, but then you went to the States. What was the key moment, your first training or then?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I didn't really go anywhere. I was practicing in Moscow, and I still practice there. It's a German coach. But my residence in Moscow.

The key just in hard work, and the key I think I become more professional on the court, off the court, I start believing myself more than in the past.

Q. Your reaction after match point was muted. Can you explain why?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I didn't really remember. I mean, it was out, but then everybody was quiet, and I was quiet. I was like, I don't know, maybe that was double‑fault or something. I don't really remember.

But then in the first couple seconds, you couldn't believe that you won a Grand Slam title. Just after couple seconds, I realized I won the whole match. The chair umpire was quiet, as well, couple seconds. I was like, "Okay, maybe should just keep going."

Q. When did you start to believe you could win?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: You mean here?

Q. Yes.

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I didn't believe until I won the last point. My coach was believing me, and he was keep telling me I can do it, I can do it. I'm just like, "Oh, no, it's okay. I played great." But, you know, probably you can't believe until you won the last match point, the last match.

Q. Tactically today it was almost perfect for you. Everything you did seemed to work, which must have surprised you, given how many difficult matches you two have played against each other in the past.

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Like I said before, that was more mental a game. Was nervous. Like Elena was really nervous, I think. I used some weakness that I knew. She not going to serve well when she nervous, and I knew that, so I used that.

And I was serving pretty well today. I didn't do really lot of double‑faults. I knew her game really well. I knew that she's like to play fast tennis, and I took a pace off. I was just running a lot today.

Yeah, I mean, the whole weeks was for me great. Just maybe was a little bit of luck, as well. But I just am really happy.

Q. Have you received some messages from Russia, from family, Boris Yeltsin?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Actually, my phone doesn't work right now (smiling). I just received congratulations from my coach and from my support team who is here.

No, Yeltsin was wishing us good luck before the match, but for both of us. That's pretty much it.

Q. Elena was so nervous. What did you do to control your nerves? You were both in your first Grand Slam final. What did you do today or yesterday to keep yourself calm?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: No, I was crying before the match in the locker room. And the physio really helped me. They just explain what I should do on the court, how I have to breathe, because it's really ‑‑ it was really emotional before. You know, it's really hard to hold emotions.

But if you can control yourself, if you able to do it, it's much, much easier to play these important matches. And I was able to control myself today. Just, you know, I can't really explain how. Just happened.

Q. You were crying before the match?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Yeah, I was really crying.

Q. About what?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: About, I don't know. When you hold your emotions during the 2 weeks, you know, hard matches, I won from one match point against Kuznetsova. Just came out before the match.

It's good that not during (smiling).

Q. How hard or how difficult is it to play against and to beat a good friend as Elena is to you?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: It's hard. It just ‑‑ I mean, when you on the court, you don't really think about against who you play, you just think how to win. Doesn't matter who is in that side of the court.

But after the match, it's hard to see how your friend crying or how your friend upset, because especially in that match, it was really important match for both of us. That's pretty much...

Q. I read in a French magazine that Paris was a good inspiration for you because you consider it the "love city." Do you think this personal appreciation has influence, or it was just...

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: In the past 6 years, I won one match here. So I always doing shopping here. I was going to visit some nice places here. So this year, you know, nowhere to go except tennis court. You know, I was practicing hard this year. That's why, I think.

Q. How special was it to hear the Russian anthem in the end of the ceremony?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Yeah, you know, of course, it's really nice, and I'm really proud to be Russian. I think it's a great country. It's improving lot in the past years. I wasn't not crying, but was really nice to hear the music.

Q. Obviously you know each other perfectly, so probably the way of your tactic, if you wanted a safe and must‑win point, you played on her backhand. Am I correct?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Yes. Like I said, I know her really well. I know her forehand, it's unbelievable. And she make winners from her forehand side.

The backhand, it's a little bit weaker, so I decide to play to backhand a lot. And especially when the person nervous, she will do more mistake from the weakness side. So I was playing through the backhand.

Q. There is a kind of unwritten law that if a final is played by players from the same country, even the highest representatives should be present here. It happened here in the past with the Spanish and even Belgian. Do you feel your former President Yeltsin was fond of tennis, and in that direction maybe Mr. Putin should be present here and he missed a great chance?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I don't know what to say, not really.

Q. You agree Yeltsin was very much crazy about tennis?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: He is still. He support us, he send us a paper before the match. He wish us good luck. If Putin doesn't like tennis, like you said, he like more skiing, I mean, it's his business. We don't really care. We still play. We still represent our country. He still happy for us that we represent our country in the final of the French Open.

For sure, he will celebrate that.

Q. Your coach said that he thought your win over Venus was the most important one for you mentally because you played two great sets in a row. Was it that match for you that made you believe you could win the title or maybe the Kuznetsova match when you fought off the match point and had to fight so hard just to win it?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: I think the key was Molik match for me because I lost Alicia a couple just months ago, something, the Fed Cup in Moscow. And when I came here, I was just like thinking to go and play against Alicia.

And then, of course, after this match I get a lot of confidence in myself. Then just Kuznetsova gave me little bit more, and Venus give me even more.

But I think the key was Alicia during this tournament.

Q. We're used to the Williams sisters coming in with all the fashion and everything, the accessories. Does the No. 6 on your blouse mean anything significant?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Oh, here (laughter). No, I just like this T‑shirt.

Q. So how does it come you have a German coach?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: That's long story.

Q. Tell us.

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: He was my sparring partner in the beginning. Then I used to travel with my father. But, you know, it's hard to travel with your parents. You don't really listen them. So we decide to stop traveling with my father, and he become my coach. That's pretty much it. Nothing interesting about it.

Q. Have you spoke to Elena already? What do you say to her?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: After the match, I saw her. Just said, I mean, still she had a great week, two weeks. Just said, "Congratulations." I think we both should be happy that we reaching to the final. We are the best Russians, so we should be really happy.

Q. Do you think it's still possible to celebrate having a pizza with her?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Yeah, definitely. Maybe not tonight, but when we will be back home, we should go somewhere, for sure.

Hurley
Jun 5th, 2004, 04:48 PM
I never expected Nastya to win a major :D :D :D

Congrats baby :kiss:

goldenlox
Jun 5th, 2004, 05:00 PM
I think Nastya has not let the win sink in yet. In a few hours, she will realize what she has just accomplished.
Nastya will always be the 2004 French Open champion.
A check for $1,000,000 doesn't hurt either.

Dava
Jun 5th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Im so pleased for her, its nice to have one of your faves win a slam, in fact I feel robbed cos I would normally be SO HAPPY for her, and be smiling, but the loss of Elena today is making my joy for Anastacia...well non existant.

I always knew Ana had the talent to achieve this, esepcially after she won Moscow and Leipzig, I saw her improving so much.

AKTW
Jun 5th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Yes, Dava, Nastya has really improved very much and it's nice to see her progression.
She had a poor record at RG and many predicted that she would just get another first round exit this year. But she's just improved this record and will be proudly ranked third in the world.
Congrats Nastya!

Dava
Jun 5th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Yes I hope Nasya can grab a couple more grand slam titles in the future, I just hope she doesnt ahve to beat Elena in the final again :(

goldenlox
Jun 5th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Nastya came into the 2004 French Open with only 1 clay court win this year. And with a 1-4 record at Roland Garros.
The Nastya I saw in the last 3 rounds, is a great clay court player. I don't understand what made her prior results so poor, but she reached her potential, which is greatness.
I know Nastya is not satisfied. Now she wants to show everyone that she is a top level player on every surface.

goldenlox
Jun 5th, 2004, 07:21 PM
HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Tennis Writer

http://sfgate.com/templates/types/universal/graphics/clear.gif
(06-05) 12:09 PDT PARIS (AP) --

Anastasia Myskina knows how it feels to fight herself more than her opponent. She knows how it feels to get so frustrated that the urge rises to toss a racket or scream or even just give up.

And now, in part because Elena Dementieva struggled with such thoughts in the French Open final, Myskina knows how it feels to be a Grand Slam champion.

Myskina beat her countrywoman and friend 6-1, 6-2 Saturday at Roland Garros with solid play, steady resolve -- and plenty of help from Dementieva's 33 unforced errors, including 10 double-faults.

"I was really emotional. I was really nervous, as well," Myskina said. "And I think, um, Elena was nervous more."

In keeping with the surprising nature of the past two weeks, the sixth-seeded Myskina became the first Russian woman to win a major title. And she did so at a tournament where she had never been past the second round, going 1-4.

It helped that the Williams sisters have been hampered by injuries and lack of matches. And that defending champion Justine Henin-Hardenne lost in the second round after missing six weeks with a viral infection. And that 2001 and 2003 French Open runner-up Kim Clijsters withdrew because of a bad wrist.

Still, Myskina earned her silver trophy and $1.02 million check. She changed pace and whipped the occasional winner against Dementieva the way she did in victories over Venus Williams and Jennifer Capriati. Myskina, who will jump to a career-high No. 3 in the rankings, shed tears of tension in the locker room Saturday, then went out on court and won nine of the 14 rallies that lasted 10 strokes or more.

She attributes her breakthrough to maturation, a newfound ability to keep her composure.

During a match at the Australian Open, she threw her racket and gestured toward her coach, Jens Gerlach, complaining that he wasn't supporting her vocally enough. Myskina tossed rackets in Paris, too, including while trailing in the fourth round against Svetlana Kuznetsova. (Myskina's the first woman since Margaret Smith-Court in 1962 to win the French Open after saving a match point.)

During the postmatch ceremony, Myskina turned to the guest box and addressed Gerlach, saying, "I'm a hard person. Sorry for everything."

"I know that it doesn't help if you yell at somebody. Finally, I became more professional on the court," she said later. "I started believing in myself more than in the past."

The 10 previous Slams featured six all-Williams finals and three all-Belgian finals, with plenty of ragged play, but nothing of Saturday's level. The first all-Russian championship match at a major was the most lopsided final at the French Open in 16 years, at any Slam in 10 years.

Maybe it was because Myskina and Dementieva met when they were 6 or 7 and taking lessons from the mother of 2000 U.S. Open champion Marat Safin at a Moscow club. Now 22, they're pals, and they know each other's weaknesses on court.

Dementieva's first pro title came in 1997 at a minor league event in Batumi, Georgia, when she was ranked 762nd. Her opponent in the final? Another Russian teen: 514th-ranked Elena Dementieva. All these years later, they combined for 15 double-faults, 11 break points, 50 unforced errors and 23 winners.

"It was an awkward matchup and an awkward match," Gerlach said. "But it's not about winning the beauty prize. It's about bringing home the championship."

Perhaps the play reflected a lack of experience: It was the first time since the 1981 French Open that both participants were making major final debuts.

That also will be the case in Sunday's all-Argentine men's final between No. 3 Guillermo Coria and unseeded Gaston Gaudio. One will be the French Open's 11th first-time Slam champion in 16 years -- and the first Argentine man to win a major since Guillermo Vilas at the 1979 Australian Open.

Vilas mentored both (Coria was named after him). The last Russian woman in a major final, Olga Morozova, coaches Dementieva.

"It was very difficult to play the final, hold her nerve out there. It's a matter of holding everything together on the right day," said Morozova, who lost to Chris Evert in the 1974 French Open and Wimbledon finals.

Warming up, Dementieva missed six of her last nine practice serves, and her form didn't improve when it counted.

She double-faulted three times in her first service game, drawing groans from spectators. Looking as uncomfortable as Shaquille O'Neal at the free-throw line, Dementieva shanked serves into the net or was 3 feet long, raising her tournament total to 67 double-faults.

"I was waiting for this moment all my life," Dementieva said. "I just couldn't handle this pressure."

She actually broke a tentative Myskina to lead 1-0, then went 40 minutes before winning another game. After one double-fault, Dementieva wheeled and yelled, "Nyet!" A streak of Russian words followed; her translation later: "I hate my serve." Asked how good she could be if she improved that part of her game, Dementieva's face reddened. She began to cry and said, "I don't know how to serve." http://sfgate.com/templates/types/universal/graphics/pixel_gray.gif

cool_olga
Jun 5th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Nastya came into the 2004 French Open with only 1 clay court win this year. And with a 1-4 record at Roland Garros.
The Nastya I saw in the last 3 rounds, is a great clay court player. I don't understand what made her prior results so poor, but she reached her potential, which is greatness.

I think here is a bit of your answer-

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: In the past 6 years, I won one match here. So I always doing shopping here. I was going to visit some nice places here. So this year, you know, nowhere to go except tennis court. You know, I was practicing hard this year. That's why, I think.

Bt of course taht doesn't explain everything, taht just shows that now she's able to concentrate on main and important matches, and improved a lot in her game

btw. tournamwnt review you can read here: http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/multi.php?pokaz=main/article.php?aid=26

And whole photo gallery with pics from whole two weeks (200 :D) : http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/main/gallery/rolandgarros04/index.htm

goldenlox
Jun 5th, 2004, 11:13 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040605/i/r3224075608.jpg Sat Jun 5, 3:32 PM EThttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/p/reuters120.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/reuters/brand/SIG=pd7i95/*http://www.reuters.com)
Anastasia Myskina of Russia displays her French Open trophy near the Eiffel Tower in Paris, June 5, 2004. Myskina won the women's singles final 6-1 6-2 against her compatriot Elena Dementieva at the French Open tennis tournament at Roland Garros stadium on Saturday. REUTERS/Jack Dabaghian

goldenlox
Jun 5th, 2004, 11:15 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20040605/i/ra825169171.jpg Sat Jun 5,12:42 PM EThttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/p/reuters120.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/reuters/brand/SIG=pd7i95/*http://www.reuters.com)
Anastasia Myskina of Russia (Front) and her compatriot Elena Dementieva hold their trophies after the women's final of the French Open tennis tournament at Roland Garros stadium in Paris,June 5, 2004. Myskina won the final 6-1 6-2. REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer

goldenlox
Jun 6th, 2004, 12:19 AM
June 5, 2004

http://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gifhttp://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gif
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos_rx/Trophy_4508_rx.jpg
© Getty Images
http://www.wtatour.com/global/graphics/space.gif
Myskina The Great

PARIS, France - On the red clay of Roland Garros, Russia's Anastasia Myskina declared sovereign over Court Philippe Chatrier as she became the first Russian woman to win a Grand Slam, defeating compatriot Elena Dementieva 61 62 in 59 minutes. This first-ever all-Russian final on Saturday not only featured two Grand Slam final debutantes but two good friends who have know each other since they were 7, training at the Spartak Club in Moscow.

Predictably, it was a battle of nerves for these two 22-year-olds, and Myskina was the clear winner, as Dementieva committed 33 unforced errors to Myskina's 17.

"I'm very disappointed that I did not play well," a visibly dejected Dementieva said. "I couldn't calm down out there."

Dementieva's serve once again proved to be her Achilles heel. She couldn't hold one service game in the first set after breaking Myskina in the first game of the match.

Dementieva finally held serve in the tenth game in what could have been an opening to get herself into the match. But Myskina slammed that door shut breaking Dementieva to go up 5-2. In fact, Dementieva served two straight double faults to hand Myskina the break followed by a long forehand return to hand her the match.

"I knew that her serve is not the strongest part of her game," said Myskina who, prior to this year, had won only one match at Roland Garros, "so I definitely used that in my gameplan."

To her credit, Myskina's gameplan was practically flawless, besting her opponent in almost every stat and overpowering her on the confidence scale.

"I played exactly the way I wanted to," said Myskina, who will rise to a career-high No. 3 in the rankings. "I mixed it up. I knew that Elena likes to play fast tennis, so I was prepared for that."

Her preparation paid off as Dementieva, considered the more physically able, was thrown off by Myskina's medleys of slices and topspins, cross-courts and down-the-lines.

"I couldn't play my game," said Dementieva whose coach, Olga Morozova, was the last Russian to appear in a Grand Slam final, at Roland Garros and Wimbledon in 1974. "It was a dream of a lifetime to be in my first (Grand Slam) final, but I was too nervous."

"She played great, and she deserved to win today."

During the trophy ceremony, Dementieva delivered a heartfelt speech in French that endeared her to the Parisians. She is sure to be welcomed back on the clay at Roland Garros.

As for their longtime friendship, "Nothing changes," Myskina said. "There will be more French Opens, and I hope she wins."

Saturday was a proud day for Russia and a grand day for Myskina. Two friends made history. Myskina stamped her name into the tennis annals as the 31st woman to win a Grand slam singles title.

When they were kids, they used to play for pizza, and now as the new champion put it, she's won the "biggest pizza" of all.

the cat
Jun 6th, 2004, 01:26 AM
I believe it was the January 1998 issue of Tennis Week magazine where I saw my first picture of Anastasia Myskina. She was in a picture along with Elena Dementieva and the caption was about Russia winning the 1997 Connolly Cup. I had never heard of Anastasia before and I wondered who she was. Now a little more than 7 years later Anastasia is a grand slam singles champion and the greatest Russina of them all! :D

~|Naomi|~
Jun 6th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Hey peeps, I haven't posted here for a few days cause I didn't want to jinx Nastya:p and it seems it worked:)

Maybe you guys won't see this as a positive but what I think is really good is I don't think nastya even had to play her best tennis the last 3 matches, I have seen her play much better okay yeah I know her opponents didn't make her need to lift her level but still I think it is a positive.

Maybe it was me complaining about it being a tough draw :p but this draw turned out brilliant:D probably the best second week draw at a slam she will ever get (Not because of the names she played but cause of their current form), I think I should complain about her draw at every tournament:p

She is going to be seeded so high at Wimbledon, maybe even 2 I don't know what the situation with the Wiliams injury ranking is though, but surely they must have used all their tournaments up by now:o And I'm pretty sure Kim won't be at Wimbledon:sad: So with Kim injured, Nastya has made womens tennis still interesting for me;)

Oh and I don't know if it was posted in here, but when Nastya was playing Venus, Els (kim's mum) was watching and when Nastya won she had a huge smile on her face, I couldn't see who was on Els right but maybe it was Kim, I know Kim wathced Natya's 4th round with Lleyton:) How nice my two faves are good friends, I knew they were nice:lol:

Now Nastya, go rest and win Wimbledon:lol: although I think it will be tough JHH has a point to prove

~|Naomi|~
Jun 6th, 2004, 01:31 AM
As for their longtime friendship, "Nothing changes," Myskina said. "There will be more French Opens, and I hope she wins."

Ah Nastya:D that is one reason I like her so much, she never has a bad word to say about anyone and always congratulates her opponents both in victory and defeat, she has great sportsmanship:D

goldenlox
Jun 6th, 2004, 03:47 AM
Title may just be the beginning for Myskina

Matthew Cronin / ********************

Five months ago in the fourth round of the Aussie Open against Chanda Rubin, Anastasia Myskina screamed so viciously at her coach that it made the top of the sports highlight reel.

Saturday in Paris, during her 6-1, 6-2 muting of the trembling Elena Dementieva that gave her a Grand Slam title at the French Open, Myskina didn't utter nary a peep.
Some players like John McEnroe could rage to perfection. Others like Myskina have raged to failure. But once she reached the second week in Paris, she could see the end in sight. Crossing the finish line meant focusing on every ball and every nuance of strategy. Racket and relationship-busting outbursts would obviously have been a deterrent on the big courts.

"Every once in a while she, unfortunately, she tends to lose her manners and her head a little on court, toward me or her family," her coach, Jens Erlach, said. "But this tournament actually was the first time (she didn't do it a lot). There was one little incident; there are always going to be incidents. Many people have asked me 'Why do you let her treat you like that?' or 'How can she do that to you?' and I always say that we talk about it, she understands that. She always says sorry."

It cannot be easy to walk away from such big-time talent, which is why Erlach was willing to hang around despite his student's volatile personality. Myskina actually apologized to him during the presentation ceremony for being such a "hard person."

Anastasia Myskina played airtight tennis in the French final.

"I've worked on it," she said. "I know it doesn't help if you yell at somebody. I was yelling at myself more than anyone. It's hard work and my coach helped me a lot with it. Finally, I've become much more professional."

Even though she owns seven titles and came into Roland Garros as the sixth seed, Myskina was no more than a dark horse in most analysts' minds. Due to a toe injury she sustained in March, she missed all of April and was slow to come back to form during May warmup tournaments. But Erlach kept reminding her how good she was, and that she had beaten top-ranked Justine Henin, No. 2 Kim Clijsters and Amelie Mauresmo late last year. Sure, she had won only one match at Roland Garros prior to this year, but is there anyone with a better two-handed backhand in the game right now?

According to Myskina, so much of her success in the tournament was a result of her three-set win over Australia's Alicia Molik in the first round, a hard hitter who upset her last year. She busted a racket in that match, and busted another two in her 8-6, third-set win over teen countrywoman Svetlana Kuznetsova in the fourth round. But in key moments, she kept her head on straight.

A lot more faith came after she schooled Venus Williams in the quarters. After that, everyone should have known that she'd toast Jennifer Capriati in the semis, but let's not forget that in the three Grand Slams when she had reached the second week before, she melted down.

"The turning point was the Venus match because for the first time she put together two sets, point for point against a top five player," Erlach said. "It was just a matter of time for her to finally take it to a Grand Slam and beat somebody big. In her mind that made her believe finally that 'I can do it.'"

Twenty minutes before the final against Dementieva, Myskina wept in the locker room. Fortunately, WTA trainer Deb Lenaghan gave her tips on how to breathe during the match and once on court, she inhaled like a yoga master. "It's really hard to hold the emotions," she said. "But if you can control yourself, it's much easier to play these important matches."

Myskina played airtight tennis during a contest where her opponent, Dementieva, could have used a solid hour with the trainer blowing up balloons before she strode on court. She was as nervous as any first-time finalist has ever been, putting a terrible serving performance that reminded five-time Grand Slam champion Martina Hingis of the serving trials of her former doubles partner, tight-armed Anna Kournikova. During the seventh game of the second set, the side-arm serving, toss-wavering Dementieva shrieked at herself after double faulting.

"I said, 'I hate my serve,' which is true," said Dementieva, who later broke down crying while discussing her lame-duck serve. "I don't know how to serve."

So it was the brunette who won the first pizza prize match between the two when they were kids in Moscow who again came out on top over the blonde, this time when the Suzanne Lenglen Cup was on the table. It was Myskina who became the first Russian woman to win a Slam.

Monday, Myskina will climb to No. 3 in the rankings behind Henin-Hardenne and Clijsters. The Williamses and the Henin will be waiting for her at Wimbledon and for the rest of the year, seeing whether or not she has the goods to make a go at No. 1. And Erlach just says he has to make sure she keeps believing in herself.

It seems like Myskina already does.

"I'm able to play with them now," she said. "I have a lot of confidence. I know now I'm one of the best."

cool_olga
Jun 6th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Ah Nastya:D that is one reason I like her so much, she never has a bad word to say about anyone and always congratulates her opponents both in victory and defeat, she has great sportsmanship:D

Yeah Nastya is one of the nicest players on Tour :D She's always so kind for everybody, I just heard she was not so nice for journalist in Moscow now on Fed Cup but generally she is really great :)
I think she's good friend with Kim. Even at AO this year after and before the match they both were saying just good words about each other that was nice.
No matter if Ana wins or loses she always says positive things about opponetnt, pity her opponents can't do the same like Venus for example now in Paris...

And I'm pretty sure Kim won't be at Wimbledon
If she won't be at Wimbledon then why she plays Eastboune?

~|Naomi|~
Jun 6th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Well I don't think she will play Eastbourne either, she just hasn't withdrawn yet. Kim has a medical checkup this week, Monday or Tuesday but after berlin she was told to rest for at least 5 weeks which makes it pretty tough for her to play the grass season, hopefully she will get medical clearance to practice again soon and maybe comeback around Canada tournament. So given that with last years points off and Kim has tonnes of them just pouring off at the moment, Nastya has a very very good chance at number 2 the only other one really with a chance for number2 is mauresmo, no one else really close enough at the moment. Say if Nastya was to win eastbourne and make at least semis at wimbledon she would probably pass Kim, although it depends on how much bonus points she would accumulate.

cool_olga
Jun 6th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Wow :eek: I though Kim will play, in this ituation Nastya has great position to attack no.2 place really. With no points in Eastbourne and just 4r at Wimby, if she is in top 4 seeds she can make semis. Then no points from Stanford, Los Angeles, San Diego, just some from Canada, also no New Haven. Now tons of points to earn for her.

Derek.
Jun 6th, 2004, 01:29 PM
I heard that Kim is going to play Wimbledon. :confused: But if not that would be a great chance for Nastya to get to No.2. :D

JLDementieva
Jun 6th, 2004, 02:04 PM
"I'm able to play with them now," she said. "I have a lot of confidence. I know now I'm one of the best."
now that's something I want to hear!!! Way to believe in yourself Nastya!

goldenlox
Jun 6th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Nastya had a great plan for this year. Play fewer tournaments, but play better. It's working.
Nastya should stay with this plan. Don't overplay, just to reach #1. Stay healthy, play well. And Nastya will have her best results.

goldenlox
Jun 6th, 2004, 03:57 PM
I knew Nastya could play at the top level. Grass offers a different challenge. Nastya has to be a little more aggressive at the baseline.
But it's important to still be very steady. But you have to go for winners more often.

goldenlox
Jun 6th, 2004, 04:25 PM
FRENCH OPEN TENNIS TOURNAMENT

By Lisa Dillman, Times Staff Writer

PARIS — Anastasia Myskina of Russia was like the hard-charging character played by Holly Hunter in "Broadcast News," the career woman who would unplug the phone every morning, have a good cry and then calmly get down to business.

You would have never known sixth-seeded Myskina had been in tears in the locker room about 20 minutes before her first Grand Slam final. Not the way she methodically dismantled her countrywoman, No. 9 Elena Dementieva, 6-1, 6-2, in 58 minutes Saturday in the French Open final, the first all-Russian Grand Slam.

The lackluster final almost made last year's all-Belgian contest between winner Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters look competitive. It wasn't.

For Myskina, it all started with a nightmare and tears.

"I had a dream last night that I lost the match," she said. I woke and said, 'Come on.' That's the first time I ever played a match in my dreams."

For Dementieva, the nightmare started when she stepped on the court. And it ended in tears.

Dementieva double-faulted 10 times and committed 33 unforced errors. She hit three doubles in her first service game. Her troubles did not fade. In the second set, she screamed in Russian after double-faulting.

"I really respect her," Myskina said. "You can't really show your emotion when your friend is upset. Then the situation was kind of strange. I won and then everyone was so quiet, I really didn't know what happened there. After a couple of seconds you realize you won the whole match and the tournament."

Myskina got all of her visible nerves out of the way before stepping on the court, though she said she was "shaking inside." Earlier, she had been crying and the tour health care provider, Deb Lenaghan of Australia, told her how to relax.

"They explain what you should do when you're nervous," Myskina said. "She just told me I should breathe. Some easy, really simple stuff, but it really helps when you're like this.

"It was the first time I ever [cried before a match], but I played the first-time ever French Open finals. You don't really have much experience to play those matches."

Myskina's on-court demeanor seemed to grow calmer as she progressed through the tournament. Her coach, Jens Gerlach, said she broke a racket in a three-set victory over Alicia Molik of Australia in the first round, and smashed two more in a fourth-round win over Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia, in which she saved a match point when Kuznetsova netted a forehand.

Gerlach said the turning point was the Venus Williams match in the quarterfinals. Myskina beat Williams, 6-3, 6-4, and crushed Capriati in the semifinals, 6-2, 6-2. Her calm behavior was a marked departure from the last Grand Slam tournament, when she gave Gerlach some verbal blasts from the court at the Australian Open.

Myskina alluded to her past during the trophy presentation, saying to her supporters: "I'm a hard person, sorry for everything."

cool_olga
Jun 6th, 2004, 05:45 PM
"I really respect her," Myskina said. "You can't really show your emotion when your friend is upset.

"I'm a hard person, sorry for everything."

And that's why I love her so much. She's unbelievable person, so nice and kind.

goldenlox
Jun 6th, 2004, 05:54 PM
I still can't believe what happened. When Sveta was up 6-1, 3-1, I said - " of course, Sveta has the better clay court results"
Now, I think Nastya is the best clay court player in the world. I want Nastya to show the world that she can win on every surface.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jun 7th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Congratulations to Anastasia on writing the new chapter of Russian tennis history by winning the long awaited major title.

Salute to the first Russian Grand Slam Champion!!

And nozdravliayu the new world #3!!

(By the way, I didn't know Myskina has TWO (2) of the most beautiful eyes on the Tour.)

- L i n a -
Jun 7th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Congratulations to Anastasia on writing the new chapter of Russian tennis history by winning the long awaited major title.

Salute to the first Russian Grand Slam Champion!!

And nozdravliayu the new world #3!!

(By the way, I didn't know Myskina has ones of the most beautiful eyes on the Tour.)
Yes, the other eye is quite ugly though.

TartarVicario
Jun 7th, 2004, 04:14 AM
:haha:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jun 7th, 2004, 04:18 AM
:haha:
What's so funny?

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jun 7th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Yes, the other eye is quite ugly though.
Your post doesn't surprise me: You remain as mean as you've always been.

My English language skill might not be as good because it's just the 6th language that I've learnt.

- L i n a -
Jun 7th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Your post doesn't surprise me: You remain as mean as you've always been.

My English language skill might not be as good because it's just the 6th language that I've learnt.
I wasn't being mean... just a little teasing. :p

~|Naomi|~
Jun 7th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Now, I think Nastya is the best clay court player in the world. I want Nastya to show the world that she can win on every surface.
No I still think JHH is still the by far the best clay courter when she is healthy.

Wow :eek: I though Kim will play, in this ituation Nastya has great position to attack no.2 place really. With no points in Eastbourne and just 4r at Wimby, if she is in top 4 seeds she can make semis. Then no points from Stanford, Los Angeles, San Diego, just some from Canada, also no New Haven. Now tons of points to earn for her

I know, on one hand I want to be happy for Anastasia and on the other I am sad for Kim as I know she would defend her points if she was fit. At least next year she will have nothing to defend and will only go back up again.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Jun 7th, 2004, 05:29 AM
I wasn't being mean... just a little teasing.
OK then.

Daniel
Jun 7th, 2004, 06:59 AM
I think Kim wont lay Eastbourn and Wimbledon, so Nastya should be seeded #3, coz Serena gets #2 and Venus #4, Juju #1, Mauresmo is ranked #4 now and lasdt year she did not play wimby.
It could be a good chance for Nastya to grab #2 rankings :D

~|Naomi|~
Jun 7th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Kim is out:bigcry: like I expected.

But please guys don't rub it in, she will be back better than ever I know it:D

cool_olga
Jun 7th, 2004, 01:34 PM
So Nastya is #1 seed. for the first time in Tier II tournament

goldenlox
Jun 7th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Nastya will be the #1 seed in Eastbourne. This is a whole new type of pressure on Nastya.
Now she is only the third slam winner since January '02. It's Nastya, Justine, and Serena.
And really, all this happened after Sveta did not convert her MP.
Nastya has to come back focused. Everyone is going to be ready to test her.

goldenlox
Jun 8th, 2004, 03:13 AM
I hope Nastya has moved up the Nike ladder with this win. That contract had better pay Nastya for winning a major while wearing Nike.
There has not been another Nike outfit in the last 3 women's slam finals.

At #3 in the world, and as one of only 3 slam winners since January 2002, Nastya deserves to get paid.

~|Naomi|~
Jun 8th, 2004, 03:21 AM
I'm pretty sure there would be a clause in her contract that if she won a slam she would get a bonus or upgrade, same if she got to number1.

goldenlox
Jun 8th, 2004, 03:26 AM
I hope so. She's the Nike #1 right now. And the Russian #1.

Daniel
Jun 8th, 2004, 08:57 AM
I am sur eshe will geta bonus, maybe a present like a car :kiss: or a million dollars :D

JLDementieva
Jun 8th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Sadly, companies don't pay athletes according to their skills anymore, it's always about how well known they are.... :( well not to say that Nastya isn't famous or anything, but a lot of Americans don't know her.

~|Naomi|~
Jun 8th, 2004, 01:19 PM
I'm not so sure about that, I know Kim got avbonus from fila when she got to number 1 and there is another clause for when she wins her slam. I'm pretty sure Nastya wouldn't have signed a contract that didn't have similar clause in it, I doubt her manager would have agreed to it.

goldenlox
Jun 8th, 2004, 02:01 PM
I don't know what the financial result of winning a major, and being in the top 3, will be.
But Nastya should be able to make a fortune. A good showing at Wimbledon should guarantee the big bucks.

cool_olga
Jun 8th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Yep. I think if Nike paid Serena 50 millions dollars for just wearing Nike outfits Nastya should get some bonus for winning major and what's more nastya looks great in those outfits, especially shorts.
Nastya isn't that famous but for sure after French Open she gained a lot of fans I'm sure of that seeing only the guestbook on site for example, you see many new people saying that she's their fav after French Open.

In USA I remember Serena said that people meeting her on street says 'OMG, you're number one in the world!' and she replies ' no, now Henin is' and they don't know who Henin is at all...I think all those Russians and Nastya is more famous in Europe.

But now, Nastya is one of the best Nike athletes in tennis for sure, with Masha.

goldenlox
Jun 8th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Nastya will probably be seeded #2 for Wimledon, which is amazing. So if she can keep winning matches, Nastya will get very famous.
And I think Nastya is ready for stardom. She has worked hard for this. And now it's here.
Just keep winning matches.

goldenlox
Jun 8th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Justine and Kim are both out of Wimbledon, so Nastya will be seeded 1, 2, or 3.
I don't know how Nastya will deal with the pressure. But I'm excited now, just thinking about the possibilities.

cool_olga
Jun 8th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Wow, yeah she can be #2 after Serena I guess, because Venus's injury rank is 3 or 4. So Nastya would have open way to final being in the bottom of the draw, that's amazing.

Now Kim can miss even US Open if Nastya keeps her form she can be #2, if juju won't come backquickly maybe even #1, she has something like 3 or 4 consecutive titles to defend in sumer and Nastya has nothing till Montreal as she was in Sopot not US hardcourts.

goldenlox
Jun 8th, 2004, 09:11 PM
It is strange that Molik was up a set and a break. Sveta was up 6-1, 3-1.
And now we're talking about Nastya being #1 in the world. I always said that things change quickly.
But this is wild. Nastya has a real chance to be #1 in the world this summer.

~|Naomi|~
Jun 9th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Don't forget that Venus and Serena who are far better on hardcourts than clay have absolutely nothing to defend after WImbledon. I think it will be very tough for Nastya to pass Jhh and get to number 1 as well, but she is guaranteed 2.

goldenlox
Jun 9th, 2004, 02:52 AM
Clay has always been Nastya's worst surface. I thought Molik would beat her in round 1.
Nobody has played really good tennis this year.
I think Nastya has a chance to be year end #1. If the sisters don't get their old game back, it's wide open.
And Nastya's in the race.

~|Naomi|~
Jun 9th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Of course Nastya is in the race, Kim most probably won't pick up a racket competitively for the rest of they year and JHH isn't expected to play till mid July.

I think if Nastya wins Wimbledon she has a really good shot at finishing 1, if she doesn't then I'd probably favor a Williams as they have nothing to defend and Nastya has a fair bit indoors to defend, also I'd probably put JHH ahead of her. I think though Nastya has a good shot at doing what Kim did and having a stint at number1 during hardcourt season although mauresmo has nothing to defend till Toronto so she has a good chance as well to moveup if she puts in a very good Wimbledon.

In USA I remember Serena said that people meeting her on street says 'OMG, you're number one in the world!' and she replies ' no, now Henin is' and they don't know who Henin is at all...I think all those Russians and Nastya is more famous in Europe.

Both Kim and JHH are far more famous in Europe than America, but then all non-Americans are:p Kim is also very well known in Aus, surprise surprise, being Lleyton's fiancee and all. Unforunately even if Nastya makes number 1 and wins another slam I don't see her being that famous in Aus as she hasn't done that much here, the general consensus would put WIlliams, Kim and JHH and also probably Davenport and Capriati ahead of her.

goldenlox
Jun 9th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Nastya doesn't need to be famous everywhere. A good US Open would raise her U.S. profile.
I think Nastya has the game to be very rich and famous. Because she's older, she can probably handle the pressure.
We'll see as the year goes on.

Derek.
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Yeah really here in the U.S. everyone has heard of the Williams Sisters, but hardly anyone has heard of Justine & Kim unless they follow tennis. ;) Everyone knows Capriati, probably better then Davenport. :p I mean some Americans like Naomi said, still think Serena is No.1.

goldenlox
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:04 AM
It's important for Nastya to get some rest this week. 7 red clay matches is hard on the body.
I think Nastya can play well on grass. One match at a time. We'll worry about Eastbourne when it starts.
Get some rest. And some mental R&R also.

ys
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Nastya does not play Eastbourne.

- L i n a -
Jun 9th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Nastya doesn't need to be famous everywhere. A good US Open would raise her U.S. profile.
I think Nastya has the game to be very rich and famous. Because she's older, she can probably handle the pressure.
We'll see as the year goes on.
If Nastya wins the US Open... the US still won't give a shit about her.

The only non-Hardcore Tennis Americans that care about Justine, are because she "cheated" against Serena.

Daniel
Jun 9th, 2004, 07:30 AM
I thought she was playing Eastbourne. Anyways, she deserves to rest. Good luck in Wimbledon!!!! :kiss: :bounce: and best of lucl for the rest ot the 2004 season.

P.S. have you guys notices how many people talk bullshit about Myskina on GM??? :fiery:

Daniel
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:09 AM
I checked the Eastbourne website and they still say Myskina is playing there :)
Good luck!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

JLDementieva
Jun 9th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Americans won't know who Nastya is unless they follow tennis really well. Or else, people who don't watch tennis or watch it occastionally only know the American players.

Derek.
Jun 9th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Lina you are right. ;) Most Americans do hate Justine, not Kim, but Justine. :p

ys
Jun 9th, 2004, 01:12 PM
I checked the Eastbourne website and they still say Myskina is playing there :)
Good luck!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
I've read Nastya's interview from Sunday or Monday and she said that she will spend a week in Moscow and because of that she will start preparing to W only on the next week and that she will skip one tournament that she was planning to play. I understand that she meant Eastbourne.

goldenlox
Jun 9th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Nastya doesn't need to play Eastbourne. And I'm glad she's taking a few days off to enjoy her success.
Sometimes you have to stop and take a moment to enjoy. Especially moments like this.

ys
Jun 9th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Nastya doesn't need to play Eastbourne. And I'm glad she's taking a few days off to enjoy her success.
Sometimes you have to stop and take a moment to enjoy. Especially moments like this.
I noticed that Nastya never hesitates to take some time off and take care of her body and spirit. A month off after AO, more than a month off after IW. Wise.. It will help her not to be half-dead when it'll matter.

bubble
Jun 9th, 2004, 03:50 PM
From today's news
http://www.sportinglife.com/tennis/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=tennis/04/06/07/TENNIS_Eastbourne.html

New French Open champion Anastasia Myskina has confirmed her intention to play in the Hastings Direct Championship at Eastbourne next week.
The 22-year-old Russian beat her compatriot Elena Dementieva on the Paris clay to clinch the French title on Saturday.

And she heads a powerful field comprising 17 of the world's top 30 players in the south coast event.

Her presence will help curb some of the disappointment of the fans after the late withdrawal of world number two Kim Clijsters.

The Belgian star has pulled out after failing to recover from a wrist injury which will also prevent her playing at Wimbledon the week after.

Clijsters said: "Obviously it's a disappointment. I was looking forward to playing at Eastbourne for the first time.

"But this is just bad timing and I can't do anything about it. I am just not at a high enough level of fitness to compete at this level."

Hastings Direct tournament director John Feaver said: "It's a blow for us and a disappointment for the spectators but all we can do is wish Kim a speedy recovery.

"It is still a very strong field coming to Eastbourne and we would like to extend an invitation to Kim for any other time she wants to come."

Also included in the field for Eastbourne are holder Chanda Rubin who is looking for a hat-trick of wins, up-and-coming Russian Maria Sharapova and former world number four Jelena Dokic.

Another top Russian, Vera Zvonareva, has entered too late and will have to depend on a wild card or go through qualifying to make the main draw.

ys
Jun 9th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Here is the interview where she said that she will play Wimbledon only. Perhaps she has changed her mind..

http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?87452

ys
Jun 9th, 2004, 06:44 PM
If Justine indeed does not play till US Open, Nastya is 1000 safe points behind her till US Open. Meaning that she needs just 1000 points between now and US Open - in any way, in any tournaments - and she is #1. It is a hell of a realistic shot. Defend her seeding at W and she is pretty much there.

cool_olga
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Hmm, so wonder if she playes Eastbourne or not. Nastya is wise player. When she sees she has played more matches that she expected then she skips one or two next tournaments. That is wise but I think you need some matches on grass, but she can either prepare well if she trains there a little bit earlier I think. I think she feels confident now. 100o points till USO, that's not impossible to make, actually very possible if Nastya keeps playing well.
Who would expect Nastya becoming no.1 this year, it was so far away, a little bit of absences and good play and such a great oppostunity has opened for her.

goldenlox
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Nastya has to be very focused when she comes back. Now that she's a slam winner, every opponent will want to play their best against her.
But I'm sure that Nastya can play well on every surface.

goldenlox
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Nastya took advantage of the current situation in tennis, and won her first major.
With no Justine and Kim at Wimbledon, this is another opportunity for Nastya to have her best result ever at SW19.

cool_olga
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Yeah, she's very universal player. And now it;s even better because she always says she prefers fast surfaces. She hits hard and runs fast so I see very good times if she only is focused. But I think now she is difefrent. She's smart person and feels confident with her tennis, like never before. I just hope this big chance will not scare her

cool_olga
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:34 PM
I think Venus will be dangerous at Wimby, she always is it's her favourite tournament.
It's not clay where sisters don't move that well. But if it's not a chance to win it is a chance for final. Though it would be another big and awesome suprise if Nastya won, cold you imagine? :p

cool_olga
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:40 PM
MONTREAL -- French Open finalists Anastasia Myskina (http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/players/playerpage/219907) and Elena Dementieva (http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/players/playerpage/201637) of Russia are entered in this summer's Rogers Cup tournament.

Myskina became the first Russian woman to win a Grand Slam title last week, defeating Americans Venus Williams (http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/players/playerpage/201740) and Jennifer Capriati (http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/players/playerpage/201624) en route to the first all-Russian Grand Slam final. There, she beat Dementieva 6-1, 6-2.

"Myskina and Dementieva's success on the WTA Tour is like a breath of fresh air," Rogers tournament director Eugene Lapierre said Tuesday. "Following their impressive play at the French Open, they are now serious contenders to become world No. 1. Fans in Montreal will be overjoyed to see them in action this summer."

American Serena Williams (http://www.sportsline.com/tennis/players/playerpage/201739) is also entered in the tournament, which starts July 31.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

goldenlox
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:44 PM
I thought Nastya would lose to Molik. I thought she would lose to Sveta. I'm still not sure if Nastya played great, or if her last 3 opponents fell apart.
But either way, I want to see Nastya go deep into every draw, and then if things go well, Nastya can win the whole tournament.

cool_olga
Jun 9th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Nastya was tested in those matches Molik and Sveta, she had to play her current best. Then any of these 3 opponents didn't forced her to show her best tennis, she was just keeping the ball in play it seems

goldenlox
Jun 9th, 2004, 09:12 PM
This Wimbledon is a big tournament for Nastya. She has to show the tennis world that she is a top level player.
She can't lose to Lena L., or those kind of results.

cool_olga
Jun 9th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Nice article about meeting with Putin
http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/multi.php?pokaz=main/article.php?aid=28

goldenlox
Jun 10th, 2004, 03:17 AM
TENNIS: Myskina victory heralds Russian womens' invasion
By DAVE JAMES in Paris
07jun04

FRENCH Open champion Anastasia Myskina believes keeping the lid on her volcanic temper will be the key to her becoming a consistent Grand Slam winner as she spearheads a new generation of Russian women players.

Before her crushing 6-1, 6-2 win over compatriot Elena Dementieva at Roland Garros on Saturday, the 22-year-old had gained a reputation for controversy both on and off the court.

Now, the new world number three insists those days are behind her as she hopes to spark a Russian revolution in the women's game after becoming the first woman from her country to win a Grand Slam title.

"It doesn't help if you are yelling at somebody but if you are confident enough you realise how to change," said Myskina.

"I was usually yelling at myself more than my coach and, finally, I have become more professional on court. Now I believe I can win more Grand Slams and that I can play on all surfaces.

"Hopefully, this will be the start of a bright future and there will be more and more girl winners from Russia and more titles for me."

Daniel
Jun 10th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Hello guys :wavey:
Well, if she decides to play Eastbourne I whis her the best, otherwise I am ready to see her back for Wimbledon :clap2:
Vamos Myskina :bounce: :worship:

Vass22
Jun 10th, 2004, 12:00 PM
TENNIS: Myskina victory heralds Russian womens' invasion
By DAVE JAMES in Paris
07jun04

Before her crushing 6-1, 6-2 win over compatriot Elena Dementieva at Roland Garros on Saturday, the 22-year-old had gained a reputation for controversy both on and off the court. "
What ever doe sthat mean?!

goldenlox
Jun 10th, 2004, 12:40 PM
I think off the court they mean Nastya's photoshoot on a horse. I think.
But there's no controversy to me. Just Nastya on her way to #1 in the world.

ys
Jun 10th, 2004, 01:17 PM
I think that staying in Moscow for a week after Roland Garros was an original intention. I think her plans were affected by Clijsters/Henin withdrawal. Maybe she suddenly realised that this Wimbledon could be her another big chance. Maybe Eastbourne organizers who were left without Clijsters and Henin offered her some unrefusable appearance fee. Rumour is, she is already in London.

bubble
Jun 10th, 2004, 01:30 PM
What ever doe sthat mean?!
I think they meant her personal life off the court... was getting complicated...
Hingis made a comment on that.

cool_olga
Jun 10th, 2004, 01:54 PM
She was always saying she is nice person off court. Maybe they ment these photoshoots as GL said. I saw her posing naked twice, once on this horse and second without blouse.

If she's in London that's good. Two tournaments on grass Eastbourne and Wimby isn't too much I think. Before in 2002 for example she was playing also Birmingham so that would be too much.
She will be favourite in this tournament and if she does well she may feel even more confident at Wimby, sure she's good also on grass.

goldenlox
Jun 10th, 2004, 02:27 PM
I'm glad Nastya is playing Eastbourne. Let's get to #1 in the world. And get some grass preparation for Wimbledon.

goldenlox
Jun 10th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Mauresmo is playing Eastbourne. Add Sveta and Maria, and this will be a tough tournament.
But it gives Nastya good preparation for the big tournament.

~|Naomi|~
Jun 11th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Maybe Eastbourne organizers who were left without Clijsters and Henin offered her some unrefusable appearance fee. Henin was never playing Eatbourne. Mauresmo has come in to replace Kim, so I doubt it. Nastya probably just wants to get matches on grass.

Nastyafan
Jun 11th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Hi all Nastya's fans :wavey:
May I join here?
I'm her big fan from a long time and read this forum regularly but haven't posted because my English isn't good, but all these bullshit towards Nastya in GM convinced me that she needs my support too and I can't read this crap implicity any more. And she restored my belief that my faves and beautiful girls cas still win in this era of power tennis with brain, speed and desire.
So, will she play in Eastbourne or not? Reading your post I guess she will, but why it's writen in GM that Momo will be top seed? Another disrespect? :devil:

goldenlox
Jun 11th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Nastya has withdrawn from Eastbourne -

"I deeply regret not being able to compete in Eastbourne," said Myskina in a statement issued through the WTA. "Winning a Grand Slam has its consequences, both physical and mental.

"I am exhausted from the daily wear and tear and I am not prepared mentally and physically to start a tournament this coming week.

"I ask the spectators and tournament management at Eastbourne to understand my condition and wish everyone a thrilling experience at this first-class tournament."

AKTW
Jun 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM

"I deeply regret not being able to compete in Eastbourne," said Myskina in a statement issued through the WTA. "Winning a Grand Slam has its consequences, both physical and mental.

"I am exhausted from the daily wear and tear and I am not prepared mentally and physically to start a tournament this coming week.

"I ask the spectators and tournament management at Eastbourne to understand my condition and wish everyone a thrilling experience at this first-class tournament."
Nastya's English shows an improvement!
I think Nastya is very tired after that RG victory. So withdrawing from Eastbourne is a smart decision.
Good luck Nastya at Wimby!

ys
Jun 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Well, so eventually it turned out that what she said on Sunday about not playing before Wimbledon was true..

Nastyafan
Jun 11th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Oh, I expected this. I'm angry, because now this obnoxious Momo probably will pass Nastya - there almost no competition after Masha has withdrawn too. :devil:
But I'm sure Nastya knows better what she should do and if she shows us another wonderful performance at Wimby :angel:

ys
Jun 11th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Oh, I expected this. I'm angry, because ..
Don't be. As long as she gets further than Mauresmo into W draw, it is all worth it.

Nastyafan
Jun 11th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Don't be. As long as she gets further than Mauresmo into W draw, it is all worth it.

I know, but now she will be in more unfavourable position in the race for #1 spot and I'm not sure if these English traditionalists will put her where she deserves

ys
Jun 11th, 2004, 04:53 PM
I know, but now she will be in more unfavourable position in race for #1 spot and I'm not sure if these English traditionalists will put her where she deserves
The worst position in race for # spot would be a position of Kim or Justine - i.e. position of not being fit to play. I'd rather have Nastya have 150 points less but fit.

Nastyafan
Jun 11th, 2004, 05:04 PM
The worst position in race for # spot would be a position of Kim or Justine - i.e. position of not being fit to play. I'd rather have Nastya have 150 points less but fit.

I understand that too and I said that she knows better what should do, but it's just my passing unpleasant feeling.

bubble
Jun 11th, 2004, 05:09 PM

Nicely said Myskina :)
So it will end all our speculation here.

goldenlox
Jun 11th, 2004, 05:11 PM
It's a good decision if Nastya plays well at Wimbledon. If she's rusty, Nastya can get picked off in the first or second round.

Daniel
Jun 12th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Hello guys :wavey:
I agree, it is a wise decision. She has one week to get fresh :) She was suppsoed to defen only one point in Eastbourne. Mauresmo can't pass her inthe rankings and the race. Also, I dont think Mauremso will win Eastbourne. Nastya might not be playing but Sveta is there and could beat Mauresmo.
About the seeding @ Wimbledon, the best case is she gest #2, which she deserves, worst case she gets seeded #3. Anyways, I hope she has a wonderful perofrmance there . Good luck Nastya :kiss:

Nastyafan
Jun 12th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Mauresmo can't pass her inthe rankings and the raceUnfortunately I don't think so. If Mauresmo reaches the final in Eastbourne and after cutting last year Wimby points she probably will be ahead of Nastya in the race.

worst case she gets seeded #3.There are worse scenarios. I won't be extremely surprised if they put some ex-greatness like Davenport or Capriati, even Mauresmo ahead of Nastya. In reality that probably won't be fatally because it isn't clear who is stronger now. but would be absolute disrespect toward Nastya.:devil: :fiery:
But I'm sure she regards very seriously toward Wimby and won't disappoint us:worship:

goldenlox
Jun 12th, 2004, 03:11 PM
It doesn't matter what Nastya's seed is at Wimbledon. It matters that she's ready to play well in the first round.
Nastya had to be ready, or she would have lost in round 1 in Paris. And Nastya had red clay prep matches.
She has no grass prep matches.

Daniel
Jun 13th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Good luck :)

cool_olga
Jun 13th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Yeah good decision from her. She often takes that kind of longer 2-3 weeks breaks so now, after exhausting physically and mentally RG she needs it more that ever. She loves Eastbourne but body is more important. Good luck at Wimby! Guess she'll be seeded #2. I think after this week she will stay at no.3 in the world so she will be highest ranked there but Serena gets injury seeding above her, Venus' injury rank is no.3 I guess so Nastya-3 and Venus-3(injury) will put Nastya above I think.

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 06:34 PM
The Eastbourne draw is tough. So this is probably the right decision. As long as Nastya is ready for round 1.
It's just like Paris. You have to be ready for a tough first match.

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 07:46 PM
An interview with the French Open champion -
http://www.itftennis.com/olympics/news/newsaudio.asp?id=12043

Nastyafan
Jun 13th, 2004, 10:05 PM
There is a German article in Wimby's forum - withdrawals, where it's written that Nastya is doubtful for Wimby. Has anyone heard something? I think the author isn't clear about the question, but stil...:confused:

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 10:07 PM
I hope not. This would be a bad time for an injury.

ys
Jun 13th, 2004, 10:41 PM
This could a preparation for a potential withdrawal in case they seed her really low.. Like lower than #2.

goldenlox
Jun 13th, 2004, 10:46 PM
There's nothing wrong with being seeded 3 or 4. It's the same thing. Nastya won't withdraw from Wimbledon because of the seed.
Anyway, a good result here, and Nastya will be near #1 on the computer. She'll be seeded #1 all summer.

goldenlox
Jun 14th, 2004, 01:57 AM
French Open quarterfinalist Amelie Mauresmo will head the field starting on Monday at the $585 000 Eastbourne tournament after the withdrawal of Roland Garros champion Anastasia Myskina.

Russia's Myskina, crowned champion a week ago on the clay in Paris, cited the stress of coping with a career-changing success as her reason for holding off an immediate return to tennis.

Nastyafan
Jun 14th, 2004, 02:42 AM
I found one article

http://www.gazeta.ru/sport/2004/06/a_114614.shtml

There is written that Nastya probably will play.
That probably worries me more and more:fiery:
Nastya please:bowdown:

Nastyafan
Jun 14th, 2004, 03:03 AM
and one interview
http://www.izvestia.ru/tennis/article146869

Daniel
Jun 14th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Hope Nastya plays Wimbledon :D

goldenlox
Jun 14th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Myskina wins mental toughness battle

By Greg Garber
ESPN.com

PARIS -- Before the French Open final, Anastasia Myskina was asked who would win the match against her fellow Russian, Elena Dementieva.

http://espn.starwave.com/media/ten/2004/0605/photo/s_dementieva_i.jpgElena Dementieva said she was so nervous she couldn't breathe.

The one, Myskina said, with a certain authority, who was mentally tougher.

After years of trading ground strokes with Dementieva, she already knew the answer to that question.

For everything about Dementieva is super-sized.

Her thick, blonde ponytail would do a horse proud. Her cross-court forehand, when it is working, can be massive. Her nerves, sadly, are big, too. On the largest and most important clay venue in the world, was it really any surprise that those nerves would betray Dementieva? They could be seen, early and often, in her transparent and almost painfully queasy serve.

Losing five of her seven service games, Dementieva ultimately lost Saturday's French Open final 6-1, 6-2. It was a 58-minute match completely devoid of drama, the worst blowout on the woman's side since Steffi Graf's 6-0, 6-0 shutout of Natasha Zvereva here in 1988.

"I was too nervous today," said Dementieva, who said she had difficulty breathing. "I was waiting for this moment all my life, was maybe too exciting. I was rushing all the time; I couldn't stop. I was losing point after point and couldn't change anything.

"It just wasn't me on the court. This is normal. This is my first [Grand Slam] final in my life."

Of course, the same was true for Myskina. On match point, she didn't fall to her knees or throw her racket or display any kind of exuberance at all as she became the first Russian woman to win a Grand Slam title. Maybe it's because she was sobbing in the locker room before the match.

"It was real emotional," Myskina said. "After two weeks of holding in the emotions ... it just came out before the match. I was really nervous. I think Elena was nervous more.

"If you can control yourself, it's much easier to play this important match. It's a lot of emotion, a lot of things going on right now. It's hard to explain what I feel, but I'm still shaking."

From the beginning, Myskina seemed to have the match -- and herself -- thoroughly under control. She doesn't have Dementieva's power, but she has placement, patience and presence. As an 18-year-old, Dementieva reached the U.S. Open semifinals in 2000, but she has never delivered on that promise.

Dementieva had 10 double-faults and 33 unforced errors in only 15 games.

In the match's first game, oddly enough, it was Myskina who seemed a little edgy. Dementieva broke her when Myskina hit an errant backhand. But when Dementieva double-faulted three times in her first service game, it did not bode well for a compelling match.

In retrospect, the fifth game was what passed for excitement. There were five deuces and Dementieva had numerous opportunities to get the match back on serve. Typically, she sent a huge forehand well beyond the baseline to give Myskina the game for a 4-1 lead.

http://espn.starwave.com/media/ten/2004/0605/photo/a_myskina_i.jpgAnastasia Myskina said she was nervous, but she kept it under control during the match.

With Myskina serving for the first set, Dementieva had a chance to out some pressure on her. She stroked a deep forehand, forcing Myskina to throw up a short, eminently hittable lob. Instead of waiting for the ball to bounce, Dementieva rushed forward and her swinging forehand volley found the net.

At one point, Dementieva screamed something in Russian. The translation?

"I said, 'I hate myself,' " Dementieva said. "Which is true."

In the post-match press conference, she was asked how strong her game would be if she had a steady serve to go with her groundstrokes.

"If I can play in Grand Slam final without serve..." she began. "I don't know how to serve."

And then Dementieva broke down and tears filled her eyes.

"Elena was really nervous, I think," Myskina said. "She's not going to serve well when she's nervous, and I used it."

It was the first time two Russian women met for a Grand Slam championship; Dementieva is coached by Olga Morozova, the first Russian to reach the final here, in 1974. It was the third consecutive year that countrywomen have met for the championship. In 2002 it was Serena and Venus Williams and last year it was the Belgians, Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters.

In fact, this was the first Grand Slam final in the past eight that featured anyone other than the Williams sisters or the Belgians. This is in no way a poor reflection on Myskina because she herself escorted Venus Williams and Jennifer Capriati from the tournament. Myskina leaves the tournament expecting to officially become the No. 3 ranked woman in the world Monday.

It's a place she never expected to be.

Myskina and Dementieva were 10 years old in 1991, when the Soviet Union was dissolved. Growing up, they played tennis at the Spartak club in Moscow, just a few miles from Red Square. They would play for pizzas and in matches, about 30 or so by their reckoning, they cheated each other on lines calls in the absence of umpires.

On the court, Myskina said she never dreamed she would be standing on the main court at Roland Garros.

"I thought I would be always in Moscow," she said.

Myskina and Dementieva hugged at the net. When the stately Russian national anthem played, they both blinked back the tears.

"I hope it's not my last one," Dementieva said. "I understand that I need to be stronger mentally to win one of these things. I play better in the next one."

Daniel
Jun 15th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Good luck baby!!!! :kiss: :yeah: :bounce: :clap2: :dance: :banana:

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2004, 03:39 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/images/040615myskina.jpg

Associated Press
Anastasia Myskina, of Russia, appears (with part of her cup visible) during a news conference after defeating compatriot Elena Dementieva in the final of the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris, Saturday, June 5

Daniel
Jun 16th, 2004, 11:45 AM
wish you all the best!!!! :yeah: :clap2: :) :kiss:

Nastyafan
Jun 16th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Nastya is second seed in Wimby:angel: :banana: :yeah:
Thanks to Wimby's organizers:hatoff:
Go for your seeding baby, prove that you are right there!:hearts: :kiss:

cool_olga
Jun 16th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Wohooo, #2 seeding as I thought :) This is great seeding she will be at the bottom of te draw, but it doesn't guarantee the success, she must focus much once again. Nastya good luck !!!!!!!!!

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2004, 06:00 PM
The seed means nothing to me. Nastya was down a set and a break in round 1 in Paris.
All that matters is the first match. If Nastya looks at the whole draw, she'll go home early.

Nastyafan
Jun 16th, 2004, 06:37 PM
The seed means nothing to me.
I don't agree. Of course, the most important is her performance, but top seeding means:
1. Respect and attention from organizers, journalists, media.
2.Center or other show court.
3.We probably will see her already during the first week(I hope not only) on TV:angel: (unlike RG where we didn't see her until QF)

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Winning the French Open should bring Nastya more respect than a seeding.
I don't care if it's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, wherever she is seeded. Justine was seeded 1 in Paris. It doesn't help you win.

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Going into the French Open, no one was expecting Nastya to win. Now everyone will be ready to play her.
And Nastya has had no grass court matches this year.
Nastya will have to be very focused. This first match will be tough. The whole first week is very dangerous.

Nastyafan
Jun 16th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Of course, the seeding doesn't win matches. It may help, but may prevent as well - no one knows that. But I know for certain that there will be her interviews on the website , there will be articles about her everywhere and she will be on TV. I'm sick of watching always 2Williams, 2Belgians, Momo, Jenn and Davenport. Eurosport hardly broadcasts any match without them. Now Nastya will be there.( it isn't Eurosport now but other TV are the same)

goldenlox
Jun 16th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Paris queen Myskina eager to prove herself at Wimbledon
2004-06-16 01:06:07 GMT (Reuters)

By Gennady Fyodorov

MOSCOW, June 16 (Reuters) - Anastasia Myskina is eager to prove herself on the green lawns of Wimbledon after making history on the red clay of Roland Garros earlier this month.

In Paris, the 22-year-old Muscovite became the first Russian woman to win a grand slam title after crushing her compatriot and long-time friend Elena Dementieva 6-1 6-2 in a one-sided French Open final.

"Winning the French Open was a huge psychological boost for me," said Myskina, who at number three became the world's highest-ranked Russian woman ever following her Paris triumph.

"It has given me a new level of confidence in myself, in my ability, not only to perform well but reach and win big finals. It was a major breakthrough in terms of self-belief for me."

Myskina will be the top-ranked player in the women's singles next week, after the withdrawals of Belgians Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters through injury and illness, but is unlikely to be seeded first by Wimbledon organisers who look at grass-court pedigree in drawing up their list.

She said she was confident of taking on the game's power hitters, such as previous champions Serena and Venus Williams and their fellow American Jennifer Capriati.

"In the past, playing against the Williams sisters for example, you were in awe of their physique, speed and power and could simply freeze on court being so nervous," Myskina said.

"But after battling various injuries and losing a few matches to lesser players they don't look invincible any more. At least I approach each and every match believing I can win."

BIRTHDAY PRESENT

The fiery Myskina attributes improvements in her game to a new-found ability to control her hot temper.

"I'm a lot calmer now than I used to be," she said. "Therefore, you can think more clearly and play better."

Although grass remains her least favourite surface, Myskina hopes to improve on her best showing at the All England Club last year when she reached the fourth round.

"I'm not the favourite there, but who says I can't reach the final just like I did in Paris? That would be a nice birthday present," said Myskina, who turns 23 five days after the July 3 women's final.

But she will have to find her rhythm and timing on the slick Wimbledon courts right away as her preparations for the only grand slam played on grass were cut short when she was forced to pull out of this week's warm-up event at Eastbourne.

Myskina cited mental and physical fatigue for her withdrawal.

"Winning a grand slam has its consequences, both physical and emotional," she said last week. "I am exhausted from the daily wear and tear and am not prepared mentally and physically to start a tournament this coming week."

Nastyafan
Jun 16th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Good article, thanks GL!
I like her confidence. Nastya never talks unguardedly and I'm sure she is extremely motivated and eager to prove herself. She is a great fighter and even not playing her best she won't allow an early unpleasant surprise. And since she has wished herself this birthday present why not ?
:aparty:

Daniel
Jun 17th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Golden lox, thanks fo the article :)
I agree the seeding does not win you the title, but it helps her to face trong players early in the tournament. Seeded #2 is good, in some ways it shows respet to her, being sseeded ahead of venus who is a wimby champion
Myskina , good luck :yeah: :worship: :) :kiss:

Nastyafan
Jun 17th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Nastya's quarter:

Dementieva vs Kleinova
Groenefeld vs Tanasugarn
Pisnik vs Ashley
Molik vs Czink

Rubin vs Bartoli
Camerin vs Barna
Jankovic vs
Sugiyama vs WC-Janes

Sharapova vs Q
WC-Keothavong vs Pratt
Hantuchova vs Reeves
Bovina vs Q

Frazier vs Kirilenko
WC-Webley Smith vs Beltrame
Jugic-Salkic vs Kapros
Myskina vs Kurhajcova

Not looking bad for 1 and 2 rounds but then she probably will have to play only my other Russian favs until SF. Nastya has proved that she is very competetive and ambitious again her countrywomen and probably will prove it again, but I hate their matches. Especially against Alyona - if it happens again, I will be:mad: :fiery:
But it's too far from now. Nastya should be ready for her first opponent- Kurhajcova.
Good luck Nastya!:bounce:

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2004, 12:09 PM
There's no point in analyzing the Nastya-Maria match now. They both have to get there.
But Nastya's early draw is okay. Just prepare for Kurhajcova. That's a fair first opponent.

Daniel
Jun 17th, 2004, 12:45 PM
I love Nastya's draw. The only problem is Sharapova. I think Nastya has a good chance in Wimbledon

Vamos Anastasia!!!! :bounce: :hearts: :kiss:

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2004, 02:17 PM
I expect Nastya or Maria to play Venus in the semis. But Nastya has to be very focused for Kurhajcova.

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2004, 09:37 PM
It is a good draw for Nastya. Elena is the only top 10 player before the semis, and she's not a grass court player.
But Nastya has to be very careful. One match at a time.

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2004, 09:43 PM
During her quarterfinal loss to Kim Clijsters in the Australian Open, Myskina had a meltdown, tossing her racket and complaining that Gerlach was not vocal enough in his support. It happened again at Roland Garros, when Myskina lost it while trailing fellow Russian Svertlana Kuznetsova in the round of 16.

After surviving pre-match tears and defeating Elena Dementieva in the French Open final, Myskina seemed to have found a new level of maturity. It came, in large part, from Gerlach, who never failed to remind her that she was good enough to win a Grand Slam.

"I know that it doesn't help if you yell at somebody," Myskina said, slightly chagrined, in her on-court speech to the crowd. "I've worked on it. Finally, I became more professional on the court. I started believing in myself more."

She turned and spoke directly to Gerlach, who was watching from her guest box.

"I'm a hard person," she said. "Sorry for everything."

Players didn't have coaches until Bjorn Borg started the trend. Today, they're a part of a larger entourage.

Although coaches travel with players, they can't coach from the court. The only place that happens is at Davis Cup, Fed Cup and in World Team Tennis.

Later, the German coach downplayed the apology.

"Every once in a while, she tends to lose her manners and her head on court, or towards me or her family," Gerlach said. "There are always going to be incidents. Many people have asked, 'Why you let her treat you like that?' Or, 'How can she do that to you?'

"I always say we talk about it, she understands and she always says sorry."

ys
Jun 17th, 2004, 09:53 PM
WTF anyone even cares about that if it is OK for Jens and Nastya..

goldenlox
Jun 17th, 2004, 10:08 PM
As Nastya gets more famous, the writers need a topic. If Nastya wins Wimbledon, that yelling at the AO will be the written about in a thousand articles.

Nastyafan
Jun 17th, 2004, 10:57 PM
That's the price of the glory. The media needs sensations and tip-bits. Nastya's father isn't around as Kim's and Richard, so it will be Jens.

Daniel
Jun 18th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Good luck Myskina on Monday against Kurhajcova!!1 One match at a time :yeah: :smooch: :clap2: