PDA

View Full Version : To those who said that all Williams finals are bad for tennis... Chew on this!

Williams Rulez
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:05 AM
What would be your dream final for the Home Depot Championships presented by Porsche?

Williams vs. Williams 33%

Capriati vs. Venus 6%

Henin vs. Serena 24%

Capriati vs. Seles 23%

Other 14%

16938 Voters (You can't vote more than once)

These results are on the polls on the Sanex Offical website and apparently, people still want the Williams vs Williams more than any other. Now find something new to say.

Mark43
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:07 AM
I saw that poll today and I have to say I was very surprised at the results!

Fingon
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:17 AM
well, I don't say an all Williams finals is good or bad, in my personal opinion is a boring match, but also for me it's boring to watch Venus vs Davenport, or Davenport vs Capriati as well, but anyhow, that's my personal taste.

What I wouldn't do is to base, or to change an opinion following a poll, particulary, not an internet poll.

You have no idea about the sampling for that poll, there isn't any statistical base for it, only some of the people visiting the site at a certain times and feeling like doing it voted, some of the people who voted may not even know who those players are and picked Williams vs Williams because is sounded cool.

I run polls on my site all the time, obviously as it's a Justine site most visitors are Justine fans, and guess what? if I ask who is gonna win any tournament at any time, Justine will win by a great difference. Of course my little polls can't compare to a yahoo poll but the idea is the same, if you can select the sample, is not valid

Williams Rulez
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:25 AM
I know what you mean, but the this is taken from the offical Sanex site, which means that it is mostly tennis fans who are voting, not just ignorant or casual fans. And this post isn't directed at you, but those who love to post things like "Are the Williams bad for Tennis" and the like.

Fingon
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:32 AM
I know, personally I don't think any player is good or bad for tennis and I believe what is bad for tennis is the WTA with its pathetic marketing.

On the other hand I think in general it's boring when one or two players dominate the rest, although it's enjoyable for the fans of those players. I enjoyed 1997 a lot but I guess it wasn't too much fans for non-Martina fans, the same applies here. If Justine was winning everything I would find it very exciting but I bet that fans of other players would hate it.

"Topaz"
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:45 AM
Well, Fingon, you're right in that sampling must be random in order to be valid. An internet site can have a heavy skewing effect that invalidates the result. But in the absence of anything else, what kind of data do you go by? A serious decision maker would keep on searching, but for fans, often that's good enough.

By the way, I just visited your site (I didn't know you had one); it looks good. The blue could be toned down somewhat, otherwise it's appealing. Good job!

Jordan.
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:58 AM
If they both played their best, yes, I wouldnt be mad over a Williams vs. Williams match.... :)

Venus Forever
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Jordan
If they both played their best, yes, I wouldnt be mad over a Williams vs. Williams match.... :)

Now, that is not a valid excuse. Most of the finals are never to their full potential.

Just look at Alexandra vs. Justine;)