PDA

View Full Version : Petraís US Open Series Thread (2012 discussion starts on page 29)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

cosmoose
Aug 5th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Pretty good draw for Petra!

(3) Zvonareva - BYE
Gadjosova v. Petrova
Q v. Hradecka
Vesnina v. (13) Radwanska

(11) Petkovic v. (WC) Bouchard
Zakopalova v. Q
Medina Garrigues v. Errani
(7) Kvitova - BYE

BikezAreForever!
Aug 5th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Yes. Very good draw considering what was on offer!! Also PK's got a good record against Petko so hoping for QF.

TimeyWimey
Aug 5th, 2011, 11:19 PM
what a nice 'QF-ready' draw

btw, Sabine will not play Toronto?

cosmoose
Aug 5th, 2011, 11:24 PM
what a nice 'QF-ready' draw

btw, Sabine will not play Toronto?

No. Her ranking was not high enough for main draw before the deadline and she probably can't make it to quali matches because she is still alive at SD.

theFutureisNow
Aug 5th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Garrigues and Errani are ranked 23rd and 27th in the race, so they aren't exactly second round byes. Would have been nice for Petra to get one warmup match.
Still, there are no top players in her quarter- just most of the next tier.

Has anyone heard anything about what type of training Kvitova is doing? Or anything else?
Seems like she has vanished off the face of the earth.

bruce goose
Aug 6th, 2011, 02:29 AM
No. Her ranking was not high enough for main draw before the deadline and she probably can't make it to quali matches because she is still alive at SD.As you already know by now,she's no longer alive in that draw but at least she made a decent showing.......and,thanks for starting our first Petra tourney thread of the new subforum:hatoff:

Excelscior
Aug 6th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Garrigues and Errani are ranked 23rd and 27th in the race, so they aren't exactly second round byes. Would have been nice for Petra to get one warmup match.
Still, there are no top players in her quarter- just most of the next tier.

Has anyone heard anything about what type of training Kvitova is doing? Or anything else?
Seems like she has vanished off the face of the earth.

I guess in the long run, all things being considered, Petra's rest over match play in a long season (for her) was best. Plus, she had to heal her injury, as well.

Petra was playing on the hard court at Prostojov against Safarova and Berdych for her warm up so far, after coming back from the Tatra Mountains. That tidbit of info was via the Tenisportal.cz article, that discussed her Toronto preparation (in a press conference), and when she was leaving for the tournament.

Not sure about her preparation in Toronto whence there, but I'm sure it's standard/the usual. Hopefully her first match will be Weds, to better acclimate herself to the conditions, time zone and courts. We'll see? We know she has a first round bye, so it will be at the earliest Tuesday. Good Luck Petra!

bruce goose
Aug 6th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Am seeing this as a potentially nice statement-maker for Petra: If she DOESN'T do so well,then lots of folks will write it off to rust;however,if she goes far in her first big tourney,post-Slam glory,then she'll rightfully be perceived as a gal who doesn't rest on her laurels

cosmoose
Aug 6th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Petra is getting no respect. It's all about Serena, Sharpie, and Clijsters at the moment.

TimeyWimey
Aug 6th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Petra is getting no respect. It's all about Serena, Sharpie, and Clijsters at the moment.

i couldn't believe people are still talking about Masha's chance at Toronto, what a joke

Sasja
Aug 6th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Like that draw for Petra :)

So great to see her back in the draw after Wimbledon :hearts:

It will be interesting to see how she does after her 1st GS win. But Petra is a composed girl. Obviously she celebrated, but I do think she's focused and ready to compete again. So excited to see what the US summer hc season will bring for her.

GL Petra :rocker2:

paulmara
Aug 6th, 2011, 08:29 AM
There was 5 percent chance to play Serena in Petraīs first match after a long pause. It would not be pretty. Every other draw is positive. Petkovic is still playing in Carlsbad (def Glatch , Razzano, Stephens). Zvonareva defeated Lisicki in ugly style.

Errani in Carlsbad def mirza and King lost to Peng. In palermo (clay) def Kulikova, Parmanteri lost to CetkovskŠ

Medina Garriguez won tournament in Palermo (clay) def Hercoq, CetkovskŠ, Begu, Arrubarenna-vecino, Anna Floris

Budapest (clay) Medina Garriguez v Errani 46 75 30 retired

Excelscior
Aug 6th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Don't be so negative Paulmara. Lol. We have no idea what form, neither Serena or Petra will be in at Toronto?

Irregardless of what happened in Stanford, against a petrified Masha, a worshiping Sabine, and against Marion "I lost my Serve Completely" Bartoli, Serena still needs work. And she is probably prone to the requisite unexpected horrible match or regression when we least expect it? She still needs more matches under her belt. But I get/see your point, on facing Serena in the first round (you and every other seeded player). Whew! Exhale. Lol.

Many folks had the same attitude in Wimbledon (thinking neither Venus or Serena could be beat after each successive victory), then they both promptly lost, by people who believed!

Let's see what happens here!?

Corswandt
Aug 6th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I thought we had agreed that we wouldn't be opening separate threads for each tournament?

Too late to go back now, so whatever.

Corswandt
Aug 6th, 2011, 12:16 PM
The draw is bad, but not as bad as it could be considering how insanely stacked the field is, and all the "looming" unseeded part time elite players.

Still, hitting through AMG or Errani on that slow ass Toronto court after 5 weaks off - nightmare.

Petra is stuck between a rock and a hard place - on the one hand she needs to get some match play before the USO, on the other hand she needs to avoid overplaying. Kotyza mentioned that Petra has already played more matches so far than in the whole of last year. And she needs to have something in the tank for the YEC and Fed Cup at the very end of the season. So I think there's a risk Petra will go into the USO with 2-3 matches played, but that may be a risk she'll have to take.

cosmoose
Aug 6th, 2011, 12:35 PM
As a 7th seed, I don't think Petra could ask for an easier draw.
Have you seen the quali draw? its better than most MM main draw! :eek:

GoofyDuck
Aug 6th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Petra has quite a good draw, no early clashes with Clijsters/Serena/Venus which is good because I'm not sure she'll be in great form to put up a decent performance.

Ofcourse I don't want Petra to overplay, but if she plays some efficient matches against the ultimate harmless grinders Errani amd Garrigues in the first rounds she could easily get deep in this draw without doing to much.

And then see if she feels like going for another tilte :shrug:

18majors
Aug 6th, 2011, 02:59 PM
We'll find out whether Petra is in good form soon.

Matej
Aug 6th, 2011, 05:07 PM
A very good draw (considering the alternatives); it would be nice if Petra made it at least to the QF. After all, she needs two good results at Premier 5 tournaments (and she has last three opportunities to obtain them: Toronto, Cincinnati and Tokyo).

18majors
Aug 7th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Is Petra in Toronto? Haven't read anything about her yet?

paulmara
Aug 7th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Since Friday afternoon

Queen Petra Fan
Aug 7th, 2011, 02:17 PM
i couldn't believe people are still talking about Masha's chance at Toronto, what a joke

The thought of Masha winning any future tournaments against anyone but Eskimos in Antarctica makes me spray my champagne like a fountain!!!! A one legged man in a shit kicking contest has a better chance!!! :lol:

Queen Petra Fan
Aug 7th, 2011, 02:31 PM

You do realize the No.1 song recorded by living in the past rejects is Yesterday by the Beatles, right? Most of these people are sports journalists. Petra is the future! At some point, all of these losers are going to have to acknowledge Petra's greatness and kiss her toes or crack (optional).

Excelscior
Aug 7th, 2011, 02:32 PM
The thought of Masha winning any future tournaments against anyone but Eskimos in Antarctica makes me spray my champagne like a fountain!!!! A one legged man in a shit kicking contest has a better chance!!! :lol:

Publicity, Marketing, Public Relations, Preferential Draw, Nostalgia, Wishful Thinking!

Those are the reasons! :lol: :confused: :lol:

But remember, she almost did it this year, if Petra and Ni La weren't there to stop her. Cause all the favorites in her half of the draw got knocked out, and the people that she faced were too intimidated by her (Sabine, Dominika, Vika) or in-experienced (Robson, Peng, Garcia), etc.

So some will always hope for another Monster Masha Lucky Breakthrough, of course!

TimeyWimey
Aug 7th, 2011, 02:37 PM
if you check their website now, Petra is only mentioned in the main draw, no twitter, no facebook, no news, nothing, kinda cool how they treat the Wimby Queen, as least one photo of her training?!

TimeyWimey
Aug 7th, 2011, 02:38 PM
it's raining big now, looks like no guarantee they can finish all 12 qualis

18majors
Aug 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I'm a Maria fan and I remember that Maria was the talk of the whole world for at least one month after she won Wimbledon in 2004. It isn't right that Petra hasn't got the same media coverages since her convincing win more than one month ago.

Petra needs to get a new agent to maximize her financial potential.

Excelscior
Aug 8th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I'm a Maria fan and I remember that Maria was the talk of the whole world for at least one month after she won Wimbledon in 2004. It isn't right that Petra hasn't got the same media coverages since her convincing win more than one month ago.

Petra needs to get a new agent to maximize her financial potential.

Part of it also is, Petra didn't play for 5 wks, she was laid up in the Tatra Mountains in Slovakia training, She didn't visit a major European City (with all due respect to the ones in the Czech Republic and Slovakia), she didn't visit NY, or another major American City, and she has a local Czech based agent. So all that has a lot to do with it, as well.

Let's just say Petra was trying to rest up, train, get fit, and win (though she did get the Net Jets deal in between). It appears she placed tennis and herself, over promotion and media accessibility. Not sure if you can blame her for that, after all the matches she played/won (though I certainly see your point as well).

Let's see the type of promotion she gets when in North America?

To be honest, not exactly sure promotion and endorsements equal dumb reporters, who don't follow Petra enough, talking about her-unless their colleagues are (it's a monkey see, monkey do business, as most tennis reporters are cowardly idiots)? She'd have to schedule interviews with them (Like the one she's doing with a non sports, CNN reporter now), and send them PR. It's obvious that wasn't something Petra was doing directly after Wimby.

Yes! Now that she's in North America, Petra will do some interviews, cause people will want to talk to her. What you're saying is, "will her people go out to promote herself, and get her name out there as champion and a contender, so we can stop reading dumb ass tennis predictions, excluding Petra?" Mmmmhhh. I get it. Lol.

We'll see? There's no better promotion than winning. Absolutely!

18majors
Aug 8th, 2011, 03:59 PM
^It's just a shame that Petra hasn't gathered more attentions with what she has done this year. She played Clijsters, Vika and Maria in the finals of Paris, Madrid and Wimbledon and beat all of them handily.

Petra is one the most gifted WTA player that I've ever seen. She has the height, speed and power. Few players can match her movement and power. She can potentilly win more slams than Serena if she stays healthy for the next
10 years.

For some reasons, Petra's talents are still the best kept secrets to a lot of people.

theFutureisNow
Aug 8th, 2011, 04:13 PM
^It's just a shame that Petra hasn't gathered more attentions with what she has done this year. She played Clijsters, Vika and Maria in the finals of Paris, Madrid and Wimbledon and beat all of them handily.

Petra is one the most gifted WTA player that I've ever seen. She has the height, speed and power. Few players can match her movement and power. She can potentilly win more slams than Serena if she stays healthy for the next
10 years.

For some reasons, Petra's talents are still the best kept secrets to a lot of people.

She could win a lot.

Her 4 biggest obstacles the next few years are Sharapova, Wozniacki, Serena and Azarenka. None of them seem to be capable of regularly beating Kvitova. All of the other younger players are a joke compared to Petra.

However, you never know in tennis. Sharapova was looking at a similar situation a few years ago. She then got injured and hasn't been the same since.

HeySafZvoneRenka
Aug 8th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Im soooooooooooooooooooo excited i hope that Petra has a FANTASTIC run in Toronto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TimeyWimey
Aug 8th, 2011, 04:59 PM
why on earth we still do not have anything, any news about Petra at Toronto, is she resting in her hotel?:confused::confused::confused:

bruce goose
Aug 8th, 2011, 05:35 PM
There's an absolute load of pics of Li visiting an Asian mall in the pre-tournament gallery on the WTA webpage(part of the WTA's massive pro-China effort),but the final two photos--the last impression;)--are reserved for Petra:hearts: and not one of the overrated cover girls...in the world of the WTA,that translates at least a little bit as respect:)

Excelscior
Aug 8th, 2011, 06:01 PM
why on earth we still do not have anything, any news about Petra at Toronto, is she resting in her hotel?:confused::confused::confused:

Hopefully she's on the tennis courts, practicing/working up a sweat!?

She did do that CNN breakfast interview Reyeszjj. Hopefully we'll see that soon?

My guess, is that she's going to play Weds. We'll see?

ArcticMoose
Aug 8th, 2011, 06:28 PM
:cool:Firstly a good draw to come back to after the mini-break Ė Could have been tougher!
I thought we had agreed that we wouldn't be opening separate threads for each tournament?

Too late to go back now, so whatever.

:oh:Corwandt does have a point here with a view to keeping the "house tidy" & avoiding 20 or so tournament threads annually- Not too late to save the day :help:- we could still perhaps have threads around tier of tournament - Grand slams, Premiers etc.

:)I am sure we could come-up with some good workable house-keeping ideas - please post them so we could try & get some consensus (I promise it will not be like the US debt ceiling squabble!:p) - Thanks:hatoff:

paulmara
Aug 8th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Bartoli out in 75 minutes. Was she injured with Serena in 2nd set ?

18majors
Aug 8th, 2011, 07:01 PM
There's an absolute load of pics of Li visiting an Asian mall in the pre-tournament gallery on the WTA webpage(part of the WTA's massive pro-China effort),but the final two photos--the last impression;)--are reserved for Petra:hearts: and not one of the overrated cover girls...in the world of the WTA,that translates at least a little bit as respect:)

Thanks. I saw her and she seems to be in good spirit.

Sasja
Aug 8th, 2011, 07:35 PM

Yeah, she had some problems with her hand in that match.

TimeyWimey
Aug 8th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Yeah, she had some problems with her hand in that match.

didn't see the match, but Galina is a great player, i'm glad she's back after last year's terrible injury

Sasja
Aug 8th, 2011, 08:03 PM
didn't see the match, but Galina is a great player, i'm glad she's back after last year's terrible injury

I didn't see this match either. But I read that Galina was playing well: few UE, good defence and playing with confidence (well she should feel confident with her good run in Baku :)).

But yeah, she's having a good comeback. Started the year playing quallies for 25k's and now having good results in WTA tournaments.

But I'm still a bit sad Marion lost :sad:

Excelscior
Aug 8th, 2011, 08:05 PM

Oh. I'm glad you noticed that Bartoli (and her serve) just seemed to collapse in the second set of that match against Serena. Yeah. Serena played well, but it just wasn't her it appeared, on why Bartoli lost so easily.

I want to keep this on Petra, so I'm not accused of off topic conversation. Saying that, I'll just add, you can never be overconfident for your favorite player, no matter how good they are. Just look at Bartoli today!

Good Luck Petra!

TimeyWimey
Aug 8th, 2011, 10:46 PM
looks like all top 8 except Kim will play on Wed, and only 5 slots for Centre Court, so I guess Maria, Li, Woz will have 3 slots, Serena (if through tmw night) will have another slot against (Jankovic or GŲrges) and Petra will be unlikely to get a spot if Canada's Marino or Wozniak through 1st round tonight/tmw, which means no TV coverage

Excelscior
Aug 8th, 2011, 11:37 PM
They can just bump Li Na. She ain't nothing special, and won her Major two majors ago.

Please don't give me this "First Asian" stuff, and who resides in Toronto. Lol This is being broadcast to the whole country, North America, and the world. Plus, Petra's the now and the future. Ni La (until proven otherwise) is the past. Knock On Wood.

And they can still bump the two Canadians, it's not like people wouldn't see them (unless only the Center court has camera's)?

Hopefully (for us) they'll both lose!

bruce goose
Aug 9th, 2011, 01:09 AM
They can just bump Li Na. She ain't nothing special, and won her Major two majors ago.

Please don't give me this "First Asian" stuff, and who resides in Toronto. Lol This is being broadcast to the whole country, North America, and the world. Plus, Petra's the now and the future. Ni La (until proven otherwise) is the past. Knock On Wood.You're on track when you suggest that most casual fans aren't passionate about watching Li,but the WTA is kissing the PRC's ass to the extreme with their marketing thrust,so that's their 'justification'.Honestly,though,despite Petra's humble,non-attention-seeking nature,it'll only take one more Slam...or possibly only a rise to the Top Four...before Petra indisputably earns an almost-fixed place on CC...even for casual fans

TimeyWimey
Aug 9th, 2011, 01:37 AM

Please don't give me this "First Asian" stuff, and who resides in Toronto. Lol This is being broadcast to the whole country, North America, and the world. Plus, Petra's the now and the future. Ni La (until proven otherwise) is the past. Knock On Wood.

And they can still bump the two Canadians, it's not like people wouldn't see them (unless only the Center court has camera's)?

Hopefully (for us) they'll both lose!

LOL, tennis-wise, i think Maria and Woz should be arranged to the smaller courts so only a small number of fans will be suffering from their insufferable style

bruce goose
Aug 9th, 2011, 04:26 AM
:oh:Corwandt does have a point here with a view to keeping the "house tidy" & avoiding 20 or so tournament threads annually- Not too late to save the day :help:- we could still perhaps have threads around tier of tournament - Grand slams, Premiers etc.

:)I am sure we could come-up with some good workable house-keeping ideas - please post them so we could try & get some consensus (I promise it will not be like the US debt ceiling squabble!:p) - Thanks:hatoff:Though I respect Corswandt's perspective on this,she's using Selective Memory in her recall of events.I don't remember any agreement whatsoever where we decided that we'd never use tourney threads.Aye DO recall when Corswandt first disapproved of the idea and 1 or 2 people posted similar sentiment,but it wasn't anything CLOSE to a firm,unanimous decision.

The worst thing that might clutter this subforum would be if dumb-ass,mindless threads were moved here just b/c some pinhead GM troll whined,'Player Forum' whenever some 12-year-old started some juvenile thread like,"Should Petra start dating Djokovic?",or some other absurd drivel for gossippers and empty babblers...and we obviously don't need new threads created here when someone merely has a question that could EASILY be posed in one of the existing threads.We shouldn't have to open ANY anytime soon since we've already covered the important basics such as Live Scores,News and Articles,Photos,Videos,Off-topic,Graphics,Trophy Room---and I've enjoyed reading much of the Toronto-specific input that's been put forth already,so I don't feel that these tourney threads are destroying our subforum in any way....The one compromise we COULD make is having seasonal threads(clay,grass,HC,etc.)instead of individual tourneys

Excelscior
Aug 9th, 2011, 04:38 AM
From Reyeszjj:looks like all top 8 except Kim will play on Wed, and only 5 slots for Centre Court, so I guess Maria, Li, Woz will have 3 slots, Serena (if through tmw night) will have another slot against (Jankovic or GŲrges) and Petra will be unlikely to get a spot if Canada's Marino or Wozniak through 1st round tonight/tmw, which means no TV coverage

You're on track when you suggest that most casual fans aren't passionate about watching Li,but the WTA is kissing the PRC's ass to the extreme with their marketing thrust,so that's their 'justification'.Honestly,though,despite Petra's humble,non-attention-seeking nature,it'll only take one more Slam...or possibly only a rise to the Top Four...before Petra indisputably earns an almost-fixed place on CC...even for casual fans

Good reminder/point Bruce, on China, the WTA and Li Na on Weds.

Nonetheless, things may be opening up for Petra on Weds for Center Court.

Here's why. Tuesday's schedule actually has 6, and not 5 slots on Center Court. Clijsters is actually scheduled after Serena tomorrow (9pm match) as the correction-5th match. That means Petra may play on CC either way. I hope Petra doesn't get that slot (if she does play on Center Court Weds) though? Lol.

More good news. Marino (one of the Canadians) Reyeszjj mentioned,lost as well to Makarova on Monday. One down, two to go, as far as the Canadians. Sorry if you're a Marino fan.

The other Canadian, Wozniak, plays Shahar Peer Tues. Let's hope she loses as well, just to avoid any confusion. Ditto on Wozniak fans. But either way, if Reyeszjj "only 5 slots open" scenario is what would of kept Petra off CC Weds, we see now that they can slot 6 (maybe). And remember, one of the Canadians lost already, leaving 5 now.

Hopefully Petra will be one of the 4-5 on Center Court (if the two Canadians lose), and not the 5 or 6th, if the Canadian, Wozniak wins and they squeeze her in? I would hope if 6 matches were the case & she played on CC Weds, they would push the Canadian, and who ever else they would throw in there to the 9pm match, and let Petra play earlier (if they did 6 matches at all again Weds on CC)?

We'll See? Either way, there's a hopeful chance she'll be on TV/streaming her first match, based off of the Canadians losing?

Go Petra!

TimeyWimey
Aug 9th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Good reminder/point Bruce, on China and Li Na on Weds.

Nonetheless, things may be opening up for Petra on Weds for Center Court, either way.

Here's why. Tuesday's schedule actually has 6, and not 5 slots. Clijsters is actually scheduled after Serena tomorrow (9pm match) for the sixth match. That means Petra may play on CC either way. I hope Petra doesn't get that (if she does play on Center Court Weds)? Lol.

More good news. Marino (one of the Canadians) Reyeszjj mentioned,lost as well to Makarova on Monday. One down, two to go, as far as the Canadians.

The other Canadian, Wozniak, plays Shahar Peer Tues. Let's hope she loses as well, just to avoid any confusion. But either way, if Reyeszjj "only 5 slots open" scenario is what would of kept Petra off CC Weds, we see now that they can slot 6 (as they're doing Tues night), when they want to.

Hopefully Petra will be one of the 4-5 on Center Court (if the two Canadians lose), and not the 6th? I would hope if that was the case and she played on CC, they would push the Canadians to the 9pm match, and have her play earlier (if they did 6 at all again Weds)? We'll See! There's good hope she'll be on TV her first match though.

Go Petra!

actually i'm very unhappy right now that Becca Marino lost to Makarova again, i'm a fan of hers (twitterly, facebookly or Canadianly)
I'm little blanked on Petra's schedule, but i'll be fine tmw night and by that time, OOP of Wednesday will be out, right?:)

Excelscior
Aug 9th, 2011, 05:19 AM
actually i'm very unhappy right now that Becca Marino lost to Makarova again, i'm a fan of hers (twitterly, facebookly or Canadianly)
I'm little blanked on Petra's schedule, but i'll be fine tmw night and by that time, OOP of Wednesday will be out, right?:)

Mmmhhh. Sorry to hear that Reyes. You noticed, I made my apologies before hand for wishing the Canadians lose? Lol.

It's so late that I can't think now, but how are you so sure that Petra could get that 6th slot? Let's see who's left in the top 8. Azarenka-maybe? Zvonareva-no! Clijsters-playing Tues. Okay, that leaves 5 (including Petra), plus Serena for 6 on Weds. Kool. By this scenario, it means that Wozniak, or Serena should lose, as well, for Petra to be guaranteed under your type scenario (and that would be 6 on C Court). Correct? Hey! There looks like hope again!

Just looking at Tues schedule, even with 5 matches on C Court, they still have free time (not sure what they use it for, or is it just for a cushion/overlap) between 5-7pm. Okay.

We'll See!?

Excelscior
Aug 9th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Sorry Guys I counted wrong. I apologize.

There's 5 matches scheduled on Tues, but they do have 6 slots available potentially. Reyeszjj was correct in the first place, though we do have one Canadian out (my condolences Reyes), and hopefully we'll have two, by Tues night.

Sorry for the confusion guys. I told you it was getting late. Lol.

cosmoose
Aug 9th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Though I respect Corswandt's perspective on this,she's using Selective Memory in her recall of events.
Wait...Corswandt is a girl? :eek:

18majors
Aug 9th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Petra will automatically play on Center Court when she passes Woz on rankings, which will happen in the next 12 months.

bruce goose
Aug 9th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Wait...Corswandt is a girl? :eek:Well...that's what another poster told me...so if I'm wrong,then I apologize....He/she is a good,loyal Petra Fan either way

Queen Petra Fan
Aug 9th, 2011, 05:17 PM
You're on track when you suggest that most casual fans aren't passionate about watching Li,but the WTA is kissing the PRC's ass to the extreme with their marketing thrust,so that's their 'justification'.Honestly,though,despite Petra's humble,non-attention-seeking nature,it'll only take one more Slam...or possibly only a rise to the Top Four...before Petra indisputably earns an almost-fixed place on CC...even for casual fans

Gotta agree with you BG. We can expect to see lots more PRC brown nosing if they manage to produce any more quality players. As we learned with the Nike player marketing criteria, it's more about geography than ability.

ArcticMoose
Aug 9th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Though I respect Corswandt's perspective on this,she's using Selective Memory in her recall of events.I don't remember any agreement whatsoever where we decided that we'd never use tourney threads.Aye DO recall when Corswandt first disapproved of the idea and 1 or 2 people posted similar sentiment,but it wasn't anything CLOSE to a firm,unanimous decision.

The worst thing that might clutter this subforum would be if dumb-ass,mindless threads were moved here just b/c some pinhead GM troll whined,'Player Forum' whenever some 12-year-old started some juvenile thread like,"Should Petra start dating Djokovic?",or some other absurd drivel for gossippers and empty babblers...and we obviously don't need new threads created here when someone merely has a question that could EASILY be posed in one of the existing threads.We shouldn't have to open ANY anytime soon since we've already covered the important basics such as Live Scores,News and Articles,Photos,Videos,Off-topic,Graphics,Trophy Room---and I've enjoyed reading much of the Toronto-specific input that's been put forth already,so I don't feel that these tourney threads are destroying our subforum in any way....The one compromise we COULD make is having seasonal threads(clay,grass,HC,etc.)instead of individual tourneys
:)Firstly, Though I respect Corswandt's perspective on this,she's using Selective Memory in her recall of events. Is a revelation: as like many, thought that Corswandt was a full blooded macho male :cool:

:)Secondly, The one compromise we COULD make is having seasonal threads(clay,grass,HC,etc.)instead of individual tourneys:hatoff: OK!, unless any other suggestions are mooted - lets adopt the seasonal (surface) approach to threads and rename this thread to depict the HC seasonal thread at the end of the Rogers Cup (cosmoose could do the honours for us :cool:) - [I hold to my promise - it will not be like the US debt ceiling squabble!]:p

:)Thirdly, We shouldn't have to open ANY anytime soon since we've already covered the important basics such as Live Scores,News and Articles,Photos,Videos,Off-topic,Graphics,Trophy Room--
Agree, the only obvious absence is one on her stats – capturing it all in one repository.:angel:

paulmara
Aug 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM
If you want stats ask Vikapower

bruce goose
Aug 9th, 2011, 07:17 PM
:rolleyes:How intelligent was it to have a 1 o'clock pm local start time in a town that's had problems with rain-interrupted matches.Unless someone here can offer a logical explanation why not,wouldn't it be better to begin play as soon as possible to maximize the opportunities:crazy:?I suppose that Petra would be hardier than lots of those spoiled,prissy divas if she had to play in a strong downpour

Queen Petra Fan
Aug 9th, 2011, 07:26 PM
One guy's prediction from Tennis.com:

http://blogs.tennis.com/thewrap/2011/08/out-of-chaos-order.html

CONCRETE ELBOW by Steve Tignor

Out of Chaos . . . Order?

Serena, Petra, Kim, Maria, Vera, Francesca, Li, Vika, and Caroline (canít forget Caroline): I donít think Iím going out on a limb when I say that this is the WTA tournament weíve been waiting to see for the last year. It took eight months and three majors, but pretty much everyone is present and accounted for in Toronto. Not that anything has changed much thus far; chaos was in the air on Monday, as seeds like Jankovic, Pavlyuchenkova, and Kuznetsova all dropped. But in the end the Rogers Cup should help us start to sort out a new order in womenís tennis. How long can the old guard beat back the new? Are the summerís breakout stories, Li and Kvitova, here to stay, or soon to go? Is Serena really all the way back already, or is she more vulnerable than we think? Whoís in pole position for the U.S. Open? Can anyone sustain a run of longer than a tournament or two?

Weíll get some answers this week. Before any more chaos ensues on Tuesday, letís see how those answers might shake out. And while I'm putting names into semifinals slots here, it feels like this tournament could go a hundred different ways.

First Quarter
We seem to say it every tournament: This is a big week for Caroline Wozniacki. But nothing really changes. She loses at the majors yet does enough to retain her No. 1 status, even as the tourís focus shifts to other players. But this time it feels a little different for her. Where most events this season have been seen as opportunities for Wozniacki to build her confidence and prove herself worthy of her ranking, this week in Toronto is the opposite: Itís a chance for her to stop any negative momentum from her two recent bad Slam losses and make sure she doesnít even farther out of the top-player picture as she heads for the next major. Wozniacki could use a confidence boost against strong competition.

Her competition likely wonít make it easy. She could get Yanina Wickmayer in her opener; the woman who beat her at Wimbledon, Dominika Cibulkova, in the next round; and, possibly, her tormentor at the Aussie Open, Li Na, after that.

Also here: Sam Stosur and Ana Ivanovic, who had a successful semifinal run with new coach Nigel Sears last week in San Diego. Maybe he can actually make a difference: Every time I saw him walk on court to give her advice, she thrived.

Semifinalist: Cibulkova

Second Quarter
The WTA threw us one more curveball last week, when Vera Zvonareva, U.S. Open finalist in 2010 but the tourís biggest and most perplexing disappointment of 2011, turned things around again and reached the final in San Diego. Is Vera for real? Last time I started to believe, she took a major nosedive. But it is good to have her back in the mix for the moment.

Itís also good to have another woman in this section, Petra Kvitova, back in he mix. The Wimbledon champion makes her hard-court summer debut in Toronto. Sheíll look to pick up where she left off against the likes of Petkovic, Errani, and Arn. Iím guessing Kvitova will show some rust and have to survive a scare, but that sheíll handle the early rounds.

Also here is Agnieszka Radwanska, who threw her own curveball in San Diego by beating Petkovic and Zvonareva and winning her first tournament in more than three years. For some reason, if they face each other again in Toronto, I see Vera turning the tables.

Semifinalist: Kvitova

Third Quarter
Hereís an interesting quarter that took a turn for the strange yesterday when one of its contenders, Marion Bartoli, who had playing very well of late, was stunned in the first round by a qualifier, Galina Voskoboeva. That leaves the two top seeds, Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka, with slightly easier paths to a quarterfinal showdown.

What will Sharapovaís state of mind be coming here? Even after her Wimbledon success, she has to be somewhat shaken by the ease and manner in which she lost to Serena Williams in Stanford two weeks ago. Not only did Sharapova serve poorly, she played with the shank-producing nerves of a teenager. Jovanovski, Dokic Pennetta, Kirilenko, and Voskoboeva: Can any of her neighbors in the draw take advantage of a lingering lack of confidence?

And what about Azarenka? This would also seem to be an ideal place for her. She has had her best success at hard-court premier tournaments in the U.S.; she's coming off a Wimbledon success of her own, having reached the semifinals, and her draw is manageableóMartinez Sanchez, Hantuchova, and Dulko are in her vicinity. (Actually, those are quality players, so maybe delete the ďeminently.Ē) This does seem like Azarenka's quarter to lose, though. Then again, I thought something similar in Stanford two weeks ago, and she did lose, early.

Semifinalist: Azarenka

Fourth Quarter
So where is Serena, and where is Kim, you ask? Thatís right, theyíre in the same quarter. In fact, theyíre in the same half of the same quarter, and could play each other in the third round. We saw what Serena is capable of when she won Stanford; now itís Kimís turn to shake off the rust. She didnít have much success in that regard at the French Open, so itís hard to expect much from her here, either. But this is still her time of year, itís still her surface, and she still holds two of the four Grand Slam titles. While Serena has had her vulnerable momentsóshe was outplayed for nearly a set by Bartoli in StanfordóI still think she gets past Goerges in the second round, gets up for Kim in the third, and keeps it up from there.

Semifinalist: Williams

Semifinals: Kvitova d. Cibulkova; Williams d. Azarenka

Final: Williams d. Kvitova

(I agree with everything but the last line.) :lol:

TimeyWimey
Aug 9th, 2011, 07:48 PM

Fourth Quarter
So where is Serena, and where is Kim, you ask? Thatís right, theyíre in the same quarter. In fact, theyíre in the same half of the same quarter, and could play each other in the third round. We saw what Serena is capable of when she won Stanford; now itís Kimís turn to shake off the rust. She didnít have much success in that regard at the French Open, so itís hard to expect much from her here, either. But this is still her time of year, itís still her surface, and she still holds two of the four Grand Slam titles. While Serena has had her vulnerable momentsóshe was outplayed for nearly a set by Bartoli in StanfordóI still think she gets past Goerges in the second round, gets up for Kim in the third, and keeps it up from there.

Semifinalist: Williams

Semifinals: Kvitova d. Cibulkova; Williams d. Azarenka

Final: Williams d. Kvitova

(I agree with everything but the last line.) :lol:

Chin up Petra, Beat Serena in Cincinnati and I will be THERE!!!

Excelscior
Aug 9th, 2011, 07:56 PM
:rolleyes:How intelligent was it to have a 1 o'clock pm local start time in a town that's had problems with rain-interrupted matches.Unless someone here can offer a logical explanation why not,wouldn't it be better to begin play as soon as possible to maximize the opportunities:crazy:?I suppose that Petra would be hardier than lots of those spoiled,prissy divas if she had to play in a strong downpour

To my knowledge/memory Bruce, they actually start matches at 11 am, they just don't broadcast them (at least here in America) till 12pm on ESPN 3, and 1pm on the tennis channel. But the Eurosport Broadcast of the 11am Petkovic match was broadcast on time (with rain delay of course) at 11am. It was the same with yesterdays matches, as well.

bruce goose
Aug 9th, 2011, 08:01 PM
To my knowledge/memory Bruce, they actually start matches at 11 am, they just don't broadcast them (at least here in America) till 12pm on ESPN 3, and 1pm on the tennis channel. But the Eurosport Broadcast of the 11am Petkovic match was broadcast on time (with rain delay of course) at 11am. It was the same with yesterdays matches, as well.Was going by the WTA webpage's listed OOP;if you go there now,you'll see that CC shows a 1300 start time and all the other courts 1330

Coconut91
Aug 9th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Petra's talents are still the best kept secrets to a lot of people.

Yep. There's a lot of people who even after her overwhelming victory at Wimbledon don't realize she's the future of women's tennis. The final was probably the only Petra match they ever saw :lol:
But who cares. She's been doing fine until now, being an unknown, so Maria, Serena and Kim can get all the attention.
Petra can keep winning titles and Grandslams and I won't be bothered if she's not "that" famous. Don't feel she's the kind of person that enjoys being in the spotlight all the time either :)

18majors
Aug 9th, 2011, 10:07 PM
^Petra is the present and future of WTA and people should recognize it and promote accordingly. I'm speaking as a Maria fan since 2004. I absolutely enjoy watching Petra, she is powerful yet very fluid.

Excelscior
Aug 9th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Shux! The Canadian Wozniak won today, and will advance tomorrow. I wonder what that will do to the Center Court schedule for tomorrow and Petra?

I guess we find out tonight. Stay tuned!

Sorry for those fans of Wozniak. Nothing personal. Lol.

18majors
Aug 10th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Petra will play 1st match on Court 1 at 11:00 AM.

jiri-nedved
Aug 10th, 2011, 12:29 AM
she did not even make the grandstand court, not good from organisers.

Excelscior
Aug 10th, 2011, 01:10 AM

You mean she will not be on CC and on TV, but other BS people, who shall remain nameless, will?

WTF?

ArcticMoose
Aug 10th, 2011, 01:10 AM
:pExpecting a good show-up of Petra fans @ 11AM;) on the Live Scores thread after what seems an eternal wait!:smoke:

cosmoose
Aug 10th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Reigning Wimbledon champion can't get on CC. Not even the grandstand.
But Court 1?

What insult. :fiery::fiery::fiery::fiery:

Excelscior
Aug 10th, 2011, 01:13 AM
she did not even make the grandstand court, not good from organisers.

Petra's too classy and business oriented for this, but if I was her, I would of complained and asked to play on Center Court.

I would of said, "I haven't played in 6 wks, and I got fans that wanna watch me play around the world, and you guys gonna put me on Court 1, with no television?" "Dammit, play me on C Court!"

Sheesh! I'm tired of Live Score, with Petra. Lol.

Excelscior
Aug 10th, 2011, 01:19 AM
I hope she has a chip on her shoulder, instead of being put asleep by Court 1, and it's crowd?

TimeyWimey
Aug 10th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Great! Court One! Good Job Toronto!

Excelscior
Aug 10th, 2011, 01:51 AM
They're Freaking kidding me in Toronto!!

They have Schiavone and Makarova on the Grandstand? Who the hell makes up these schedules, Toronto or the WTA? This is bullshit!

No care's about Schiavone! She won her French, last year, just like Li Na (who's on CC at 11am) won hers two majors ago. Petra is the current Wimbledon champion, and future/potential star. Schiavone and Li's careers, are virtually over.

WTF is wrong with these tournament organizers and the WTA? Their whole system of scheduling is always so antiquated, and seemingly 6 months to a yr behind? Where's the respect and reward for Petra!!!????

And Azarenka made Center Court, by virtue of playing the Canadian Dubois.

Petra can't catch a break from the clowns running women's tennis.

WTF?

BikezAreForever!
Aug 10th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Are there any streams from Toronto you know of?? From what you are saying, there are no streams from court 1, right??

Feel good about her not being on CC or grandstand. She started Wimby from back courts up, so it might be a good karma for her. Hopefully Medina Garrigues is a clay courter I kinda expect, she is beatable. Fingers crossed PK is not gonna be in UE-rusty mode.

Petro, pojd!! :fiery:

bruce goose
Aug 10th, 2011, 02:29 AM
These Rogers organizers might be as dumb as some of the idiots who run Bad Gastein...according to an Austrian resident who had a clear live feed,last year the grounds crew just stood there with their thumbs up their asses,watching the sky,during yet another of B.Gastein's constant multitude of rainy days...as if to wonder,'Gee,do you think it might stop raining soon:silly:?'...and THEN,after a couple hours when the clay got nice and drenched,they decided to roll out the tarp to protect the court:crazy:.I'm not saying that RC has sunk to that level yet,but I've been underwhelmed with their administrative skills

TimeyWimey
Aug 10th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Are there any streams from Toronto you know of?? From what you are saying, there are no streams from court 1, right??

Feel good about her not being on CC or grandstand. She started Wimby from back courts up, so it might be a good karma for her. Hopefully Medina Garrigues is a clay courter I kinda expect, she is beatable. Fingers crossed PK is not gonna be in UE-rusty mode.

no coverage outside centre court, the grandstand is just too small to put a camera there
next week in Cincy, hopefully we will have three courts with camera coverage!

Excelscior
Aug 10th, 2011, 03:09 AM

I thought about that. Good point. But at least at Wimbledon we got to watch everyone of her matches.

Here, it's like Eastbourne all over again. We have only one camera on Center Court, at a loaded tournament.

Hopefully, she'll have similar luck to either Eastbourne or Wimbledon?

Cross your fingers indeed. Livescore is always so much more stressful in a close match or coming from behind.

I agree. Petro, pojd!!

ArcticMoose
Aug 10th, 2011, 09:34 AM
If you want stats ask Vikapower

Vikapower made complete stats for Petra Kvitova

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=20000796#post20000796

:cool:Thanks. Yup, Vikapower has done extraordinary work - as she is also a Petra fan, going to request if she would consider moving her thread into Petra's Forum where it will receive due appreciation & make the forum facets near complete (No point in re-inventing the wheel when Vikapower has done a great job). Lets hope she agrees to the request from Petra's Forum:angel:

18majors
Aug 10th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Petra, let's your racquet do the talking and show Rogers Cup how good you are.

theFutureisNow
Aug 10th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Peng withdraws.

Everybody cross your fingers for a court change and some sort of stream.

TimeyWimey
Aug 10th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Peng withdraws.

Everybody cross your fingers for a court change and some sort of stream.

i don't know if she withdraws, but Petra is already practicing on court 1 according to twitter several minutes ago, it's unlikely she will get CC today since her game is about to start

i'm sure if Peng withdraws, they will arrange Canadian Aleks Wozniak to CC

theFutureisNow
Aug 10th, 2011, 02:51 PM
i don't know if she withdraws, but Petra is already practicing on court 1 according to twitter several minutes ago, it's unlikely she will get CC today since her game is about to start

i'm sure if Peng withdraws, they will arrange Canadian Aleks Wozniak to CC

But that would require a schedule change.

It seems the obvious thing to do is to choose the best available 11:00 match.

Meelis
Aug 10th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Schiavone on CC, Petra on Grandstand.

TimeyWimey
Aug 10th, 2011, 02:54 PM
But that would require a schedule change.

It seems the obvious thing to do is to choose the best available 11:00 match.

yeah, you're right, Petra goes to Grandstand, and Francesca goes to CC:)

theFutureisNow
Aug 10th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Are they F-ing joking?

How could they possibly choose Schiavone over Kvitova?

At least the "great chinese battle" was a defensible choice.

winnermax
Aug 10th, 2011, 03:58 PM
any livestream?

bruce goose
Aug 10th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Lots of interview time with Petra in the most recent vid on the WTA webpage...where you can see the sweet,beautiful dork struggle with her English:inlove::inlove:

Sasja
Aug 10th, 2011, 04:19 PM
any livestream?

Unfortunately not. Only livestream for Centre Court matches :sobbing:

bruce goose
Aug 10th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Nice to see that the skies quit pissing acid rain on Toronto long enough for Petra to finish off her match:cool:

Sasja
Aug 10th, 2011, 07:06 PM
So 7-6 6-3 against Medina Garrigues.

First match in a while for her ofcourse, so I'm glad that she pulled through :)
There have been a few upsets allready this tournament. Hopefully she can pick it up now and get some rhythm.

GoofyDuck
Aug 10th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I'm gonna have to eat myself go crazy if she loses to Petkovic.. so just hit a winner on breakpoints next time :yeah:

bruce goose
Aug 10th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I'm gonna have to eat myself go crazy if she loses to Petkovic.. so just hit a winner on breakpoints next time :yeah:You're overlooking the scrappy Greta Arn as a potential foe--though we agree that Petko is likely to win.You shouldn't worry so much,however;Petra's coach surely knows that Horny Andrea will get completely unraveled if Petra simply places some mags of shirtless A@F models on A.P.'s chair during a changeover....EASY victory for Petra;)

GoofyDuck
Aug 10th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Oh, thats stupid of me.. I thought Petkovic had already booked her place against Kvitova :facepalm:

18majors
Aug 10th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Congratulations to Petra for a nice win after a long break.

BikezAreForever!
Aug 11th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Well done PK! Petko will be a tougher proposition. Hopefully she is getting used to HC really fast....

Also Lucie won too!! ;)

HeySafZvoneRenka
Aug 11th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyy go KVITTY KAT!!!!!!!!!
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

18majors
Aug 11th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Petra will play CC at 1:00 PM tomorrow.

TimeyWimey
Aug 11th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Petra will play CC at 1:00 PM tomorrow.

nice:)

Excelscior
Aug 11th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Nice (Knock on wood)!

Sasja
Aug 11th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Good luck against Petko today :cheer:

Don't think I can watch it :sobbing: unless we have little bit of a rain delay again :oh:

bruce goose
Aug 11th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Oh, thats stupid of me.. I thought Petkovic had already booked her place against Kvitova :facepalm:Don't be too hard on yourself;you may have just visualized a Petra-Petko match so clearly that you thought it was already set.That's happened to me a few times,too,as a sports fan.Turns out your internal prediction was right:Petra WILL put her perfect 3-0 Hardcourt record on the line against the witty,ultra-horny Serb

paulmara
Aug 11th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Andrea Petkovic will be highly motivated. ĄBut I'm the other way. Petra Kvitova is another example of a player like me - we were both coming up at the same time, always around the same rankings, and I practiced with her a lot. She didn't have this confidence a year ago. She had to earn this confidence, just like me.ď

Head to head 3-2 for Petra. Hoping for less windy day.

18majors
Aug 11th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Petra will have little problems with Petkovic.

bruce goose
Aug 11th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Head to head 3-2 for Petra. Hoping for less windy day.And,like I posted above,it's 3-0 in Petra's favor on HC;one of the losses was on clay and the other on grass in 2010

GoofyDuck
Aug 11th, 2011, 03:34 PM
It's terribly windy today again, judging on the LI-Stosur match :(

18majors
Aug 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM
It's terribly windy today again, judging on the LI-Stosur match :(

Wind blows at 24 Km now and is forecasted to reach 32 Km at 1:00 PM.

TimeyWimey
Aug 11th, 2011, 04:31 PM
very bad news for Petra, Eastbourne once more:(:(:(

18majors
Aug 11th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Petra anytime now.

18majors
Aug 11th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Saw an Petra interview, she is lovely.

LenaDMania0003
Aug 11th, 2011, 05:07 PM
They said wind blows 34km/h currently
almost strong as it was yesterday

Queen Petra Fan
Aug 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Petra will have little problems with Petkovic.

Oh yeah. Nice prediction.

It was just one of those days. She'll be back. :cool:

TimeyWimey
Aug 11th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Oh yeah. Nice prediction.

It was just one of those days. She'll be back. :cool:

yeah, no worry at all, she lost all her games like this

ArcticMoose
Aug 11th, 2011, 06:40 PM
And,like I posted above,it's 3-0 in Petra's favor on HC;one of the losses was on clay and the other on grass in 2010

:lol: bg, want to see how you will explain away todays farce by kvitty :p

Queen Petra Fan
Aug 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM
yeah, no worry at all, she lost all her games like this

The only worrying thing to me was her inability to mentally change her attitude and adjust. It's sad to say but she didn't even put up a good fight battling her feelings of frustration and self pity.

On the other hand, Roberta Vinci was awesome yesterday!! Petra should watch the replay for inspiration. That's what digging deep is all about.

Sasja
Aug 11th, 2011, 07:25 PM
:sobbing:

ArcticMoose
Aug 11th, 2011, 07:37 PM
:sobbing:
:lol: We blame it on you Sasja for not being online - yesterday eventhough you came late ;) she recovered from a scrappy 1st set to win - today as you were not here she lost 26 26 :lol:

Sasja
Aug 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM
:lol: We blame it on you for not being online - yesterday eventhough you came late ;) she recovered from a scrappy 1st to win - today as you were not here she lost 26 26 :lol:

I have that positive effect on people :oh: :lol:

But I really wanted to watch this match, but just couldn't make it. Maybe it's for the better.
Must have been a crappy and frustrating match :sobbing:

TimeyWimey
Aug 11th, 2011, 07:46 PM
The only worrying thing to me was her inability to mentally change her attitude and adjust. It's sad to say but she didn't even put up a good fight battling her feelings of frustration and self pity.

On the other hand, Roberta Vinci was awesome yesterday!! Petra should watch the replay for inspiration. That's what digging deep is all about.

Hi QPF

i just posted the stats, but it is somehow blocked

Petra/Petko
winner: 17/11
ue: 26/14

i would say this is a very very typical match for Petra when she loses, it is just unusual that the result is 1-6 2-6, a little bit glaring at times

so i would not say that her attitude was bad or she didn't try to fight, it is just an unfortunately game for her, her forehand is completely gone and the wind definitely made her movement look even worse (just like Eastbourne this year)

Excelscior
Aug 11th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Computer crashed today. Writng you guys from the phone.

Awful, but not totally surprising match from Petra today.

Anyone that saw Petkovic play recently could tell she was swinging really well. Petra's timing on the other hand was suspect all around (return, forehand, backhand, foot work); preventing her from breaking AMG & Petko on returns, hitting on the rise & consistently deep, mind you the lines. Playing for the wind by looping the ball, or going to the corners (Plan B) wasn't going to work today either, cause it's clear she was out of sync going against such a good opponent, playing so well today. Eastbourne was not to be repeated without significant match play or practice hitting the past 6 weeks from Petra. Lol. Different scenario.

She was 4-0 against Petko (I was told that was wrong, so I'll say 3-0 against her on hard court previously), so if she had to get one, let her have it now. And even Petko acknowledged as much, by her comments after the match.

I don't like it (& da WTA points she left on da table). But onward to Cincy.

If Serena wins, we'll never hear da end of it, till Petra beats her in Cincy or the Open, of course. Lol

bruce goose
Aug 11th, 2011, 10:26 PM
:lol: bg, want to see how you will explain away todays farce by kvitty :pThis isn't the Serbian forum,Moose,so that means no excuses:angel: or concocted/exaggerated injuries.It is what it is but,you know WHAT?Petra is still Wimbledon champion:),so that gives her a papal indulgence for a couple sucky matches:p

ArcticMoose
Aug 11th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Kvitty's post match assessment :

"Yesterday was a bad match for me, I didn't play well. Today it was windy again and my game wasn't good. I did many, many mistakes on the forehand. After Wimbledon (http://www.wtatennis.com/page/Tournaments/Info/0,,12781~839,00.html) I went home and took two weeks off. Then I had fitness preparation in Slovakia, and then I played 12 days, 14 days of tennis. I was ready for the tournament, but I have to play more matches."

:angel: It's a sign of champion to say it as it is - with no excuses. She's not blaming the wind (acknowledges its presence) & recognises the mistakes she made. Admirably does also say she was ready for the tournament & does not even mention the leg injury or even the post grandslam commitments in the Czech Republic with the various stakeholders in her career.

If this is the Petra Kvitova I am a fan of then I am truly proud to be her Fan!.

bruce goose
Aug 12th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Kvitty's post match assessment :

"Yesterday was a bad match for me, I didn't play well. Today it was windy again and my game wasn't good. I did many, many mistakes on the forehand. After Wimbledon (http://www.wtatennis.com/page/Tournaments/Info/0,,12781~839,00.html) I went home and took two weeks off. Then I had fitness preparation in Slovakia, and then I played 12 days, 14 days of tennis. I was ready for the tournament, but I have to play more matches."

:angel: It's a sign of champion to say it as it is - with no excuses. She's not blaming the wind (acknowledges its presence) & recognises the mistakes she made. Admirably does also say she was ready for the tournament & does not even mention the leg injury or even the post grandslam commitments in the Czech Republic with the various stakeholders in her career.

If this is the Petra Kvitova I am a fan of then I am truly proud to be her Fan!.We're on the same page here,Moose---I can understand and respect the viewpoint of fans who say they only focus on what the player does on court,blah,blah,blah...but it's a LOT easier for me to get behind someone whom I can respect as a person...and I've gotten the sense that Petra is just such a person

cosmoose
Aug 12th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Yesterday's match was disappointing on all levels but this is how it is when Petra's game is off.
Commentator said that Petra is either "off" or "on." There is no in-between.
Realistically, we know Petra can't win every match. So we should accept that when Petra loses, she really loses :lol:
OTOH, Petra rarely loses close match :)

Some positives I took from the match.
1. Petra went for her shots to the bitter end. I thought maybe she might have turned the match around in the last game when she returned couple of bullet return winners. As long as she is firing, the opponent can't truly relax. So even though it didn't work out yesterday, I'm glad Petra was still fighting and going for her shots.

2. After the match was over, she gave Petko nice hugs and smiled afterwards. Most players would sulk. Not even look at the opponent and go into a self-pity mode. I'm very happy that Petra can shake off a loss and not let it linger. I saw the same at this year's IW when she lost a painfully close match to Bara. I thought she would be pissed but few moments later, I saw Petra and Bara share a golf cart ride back to the players lounge, all smiling and giggling. :lol:
Lack of short term memory is a great asset!

Excelscior
Aug 12th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Petra's comments after the Petko match to Press, as reported by Brodie Widdifield of Tennis Panaorma Online:

For Kvitova, this was her second match since returning, winning her first match against Anabel Medina Garrigues. However, she was not immune to many of the similar problems facing the French Open champion. Her normally dominant forehand was typically long, or landing in the middle of the net. “Today it was windy again like it was yesterday, and my game wasn’t so good. I did many, many mistakes on the forehand,” said Kvitova. “But I’m okay, and I know that it’s preparation for the US Open. Still, I have to work.”

You can't get more matter of fact, than that folks! Lol.

Excelscior
Aug 12th, 2011, 08:28 AM
More Petra, and Petko comments below from CTV Toronto, Sports News Article. Though I only highlighted Petra's comments, Petko's are very enlightening, if you didn't see, read or hear about them.

Stosur, Petkovic through to quarter-finals at Rogers Cup

The Canadian Press
Date: Thursday Aug. 11, 2011 6:26 PM ET

"I was expecting a really tough match," said the 23-year-old Petkovic. "But the conditions were not easy at all, they were really tricky. And she didn't play for so long, I know how I feel the first two matches when I come back after one or two months.

"And her tennis, with her very flat strokes in those kinds of conditions is really, really tough."

Kvitova, who's won four titles this year, admitted to feeling flat after taking a couple of weeks off after Wimbledon.

"I'm ready for the tournament but I have to play more matches," Kvitova said. "I'm OK, I'm not too sad. Of course I lost, but I'm OK and I know it's preparation for the U.S. Open and still I have to work."

Mmmhh. She sounds ok, like she knows what she needs to do (what happened), and not to broken up to me. Lol.

But OK. Let's see?

Excelscior
Aug 12th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Petko defending Kvitova's play yesterday, and showing her much respect to reporters, after the match:

Sports Other Sports
Three more top seeds exit Rogers Cup
By DAVE POLLARD, QMI Agency-via London Free Press
Last Updated: August 11, 2011 5:27pm

Barely two hours later it was Wimbledon champ Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic, the seventh seed, on the way out. Germany's Andrea Petkovic continued her strong run to the tournament quarter-finals by ushering Kvitova out with a 6-1, 6-2 win on a windy centre court.

"The conditions were not easy at all, they were really tricky," Petkovic said, defending the sloppy play of Kvitova. "With her kind of flat strokes in that kind of conditions is really tough. (But) I was happy with how consistent I played because GREAT PLAYERS like Petra, they can come back. It was really important for me to have the full intensity

Well, I'm glad she knows! Lol.

LenaDMania0003
Aug 12th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Toronto's surface looks deadly slow (and low bound?
Roby's slices and Galina's dropshots become killer shots)
Definitely one of worst surfaces for Petra.

And I've gotten bad feeling since I've heard that Petra would skip San Diego.

18majors
Aug 12th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Should we start a new Cincy thread?

ArcticMoose
Aug 12th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Should we start a new Cincy thread?

:) 18majors, we are moving to seasonal threads(clay,grass,HC,etc.) instead of individual tourneys to keep the site manageable & easier to navigate for all - so Rogers & Cincy will fall under HC season.

:cool: Will PM cosmoose the thread creator to Rename thread asap - thanks for being proactive - caught napping:p

cosmoose
Aug 12th, 2011, 09:07 PM
<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c1jbnd6eUxo&version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c1jbnd6eUxo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
♫ Baby, if you've ever wondered,
Wondered whatever became of me,
I'm working on my forehand in Cincinnati,
Cincinnati, WKRP
...I'm at WKvittyRP in Cincinnati..♫

Lets talk about Queen Petra at Queen City! :)

ArcticMoose
Aug 12th, 2011, 09:16 PM
^ Thanks for the Re-Name ;) & Vid :lol: - I am already in love with Cincy :angel:

Excelscior
Aug 12th, 2011, 09:49 PM
<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c1jbnd6eUxo&version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c1jbnd6eUxo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
♫ Baby, if you've ever wondered,
Wondered whatever became of me,
I'm working on my forehand in Cincinnati,
Cincinnati, WKRP
...I'm at WKvittyRP in Cincinnati..♫

Lets talk about Queen Petra at Queen City! :)

Mmmhhh.

Maybe we need some of our Czech Mates (and fellow Slovaks, etc.) to tell us Petra's working out routine, and travels after her Toronto loss?

I wonder, if we can also get some comments from Koytza, on how close he thinks Petra is (Like 1 or 2 matches, a weekend of good work outs, or he's still not sure yet/it's that bad)?

cosmoose
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Couple of questions I have.

1. When will Cincy Main Draw take place?
2. If heaven forbid, Petra has an early exit from Cincy, will she take a WC to New Haven or Dallas?

TimeyWimey
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:17 PM

2. If heaven forbid, Petra has an early exit from Cincy, will she take a WC to New Haven or Dallas?

1. now on twitter
2. noooooooo, i can only manage to get there next weekend!!!

Excelscior
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:21 PM

Petra had worked out a deal with the New Haven Tournament Director (I read an article with his quotes about it), where if she didn't get enough matches in Toronto and Cincy, she would play in New Haven.

They were holding a spot for her (he specifically addressed her, her coaches, and need for matches).

I hope it's still available, but lets hope she won't need them, cause she's going to win Cincy next week!! :) :)

TimeyWimey
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:25 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1491802085/WS_Open_Logo-CMYK_1_normal.png@Cincytennis
@Wimbledon champ Petra Kvitova makes her #cincytennis debut at #16 seed

FAIL :help:

OH DEAR:(

Excelscior
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:27 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1491802085/WS_Open_Logo-CMYK_1_normal.png@Cincytennis
@Wimbledon champ Petra Kvitova makes her #cincytennis debut at #16 seed

FAIL :help:

Is this a joke? How is this possible (if true)?

Did they have some random draw (or this is a joke)?

What's their reasoning and explanation?

If true, do they think they're like Wimbledon, and re-seed as they please?

I think this is a mistake. Gotta be!?

If true, did Masha and all the other high seeds that washed out in Toronto get the same treatment/lowly seeds?

WTF?

TimeyWimey
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Is this a joke? How is this possible (if true)?

Did they have some random draw (or this is a joke)?

What's their reasoning and explanation?

If true, do they think they're like Wimbledon?

#6, they just tweeted the fix

cosmoose
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Petra has a bye.
Then Rebecca Marino or Q

TimeyWimey
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Petra has a bye.
Then Rebecca Marino or Q

OH, GOD, Poor Becca:(:(:(
but at least she could find a win @ R1, finally;)

Excelscior
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Petra has a bye.
Then Rebecca Marino or Q

Oh. Ok. :) :) :)

Did you see my 5th line (I was still writing/thinking after I posted)?

I think this is a mistake. Gotta be!?

And I see it was. Kool. :) Lol

Excelscior
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:34 PM
The Irony is, she may be ranked #5 by next Monday, I'm hearing, but they have already done the seeds.

She's seeded 6th, cause of the Kim Clijsters departure. But could be feasibly seeded #5, if she and Li Na vault in front of Sharapova, who may loose Toronto semi-final points from last year?

We'll see!

How does her draw/bracket look Cosmoose?

I guess we're still finding that out, aren't we (and may have to wait)?

cosmoose
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:35 PM
i complained to @cincytennis :lol:
btw, I'm Sedna90377 on twitter :)

cosmoose
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I think Marino is tailor made for Petra.
She hits hard but too often sprays them and her movement is pretty poor.

Excelscior
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:37 PM
OH, GOD, Poor Becca:(:(:(
but at least she could find a win @ R1, finally;)

I see you really do like those Canadian Girls, Reyeszjj? :hearts: :hearts:

TimeyWimey
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:54 PM
the twitter main draw live is SOOO FUNNNNNNNY:rolls::rolls::rolls:

TimeyWimey
Aug 12th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I see you really do like those Canadian Girls, Reyeszjj? :hearts: :hearts:

just 2:)

TimeyWimey
Aug 12th, 2011, 11:33 PM
[1] Caroline Wozniacki vs BYE
Christina McHale vs Tsvetana Pironkova
Roberta Vinci vs Nadia Petrova
Qualifier vs [15] Ana Ivanovic

[9] Andrea Petkovic vs Jarmila Gajdosova
Qualifier vs Qualifier
Rebecca Marino vs Qualifier
BYE vs [6] Petra Kvitova

[3] Victoria Azarenka vs BYE
Sabine Lisicki vs Shahar Peer
Sloane Stephens vs Sara Errani
Gisela Dulko vs [16] Shuai Peng

[11] Agnieszka Radwanska vs Iveta Benesova
Julia Goerges vs Qualifier
Qualifier vs Maria Kirilenko
BYE vs [7] Francesca Schiavone

[5] Na Li vs BYE
Lucie Safarova vs Klara Zakopalova
Lucie Hradecka vs Serena Williams
Qualifier vs [10] Samantha Stosur

[14] Svetlana Kuznetsova vs Yanina Wickmayer
Anabel Medina Garrigues vs Qualifier
Qualifier vs Polona Hercog
BYE vs [4] Maria Sharapova

[8] Marion Bartoli vs BYE
Ayumi Morita vs Alona Bondarenko
Daniela Hantuchova vs Lourdes Dominugez Lino
Flavia Pennetta vs [12] Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova

[13] Jelena Jankovic vs Qualifier
Elena Vesnina vs Qualifier
Qualifier vs Ekaterina Makarova
BYE vs [2] Vera Zvonareva

LenaDMania0003
Aug 12th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Very possible 3R against Petkovic again

Excelscior
Aug 12th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I hear Petra has Petko again?

WTF?

I'm not sure if it's the exact same round as Toronto? But I wonder if Petra will be in form or mad enough, or Petko would lose her confidence-losing to Aga once again, leaving Toronto, and entering Cincy?

OK. It's the third round again, after a bye. She better get her practice in. Lol.

We'll see!?

TimeyWimey
Aug 12th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I hear Petra has Petko again.

I'm not sure if it's the exact same round? But I wonder if Petra will be in form or mad enough, or Petko would lose her confidence-losing to Aga once again, leaving Toronto, and entering Cincy?

very same round

cosmoose
Aug 12th, 2011, 11:42 PM
If I read the tweets correctly, Petra has:
R1 Bye
R2 Marino
R3 Petko
R4 Woz - omg, make this become reality! :D

bruce goose
Aug 13th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Some other fans are already bringing up the post-Wimby 2010 slump after Petra's first loss...time to prove the doubters wrong,Lioness!!:cool:

BikezAreForever!
Aug 13th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Its funny, more Petko at R3. Again very easy draw IMHO. ;) Good luck Petro!! :clap2:

paulmara
Aug 13th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I didnīt want to look beyond her first match. But I had to laugh. Petkovic part 7.

GoofyDuck
Aug 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I have all faith in Kvitova winning if she even plays a little bit decent... their Toronto match was just attrocious. :shrug:

18majors
Aug 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Petra got some of her rusts off in Toronto and will play much better in Cincy.

Corswandt
Aug 15th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Things went about about as expected in Canada in terms of number of rounds cleared/matches played, but both level of play and scoreline vs Petkovic were way below even the most modest expectations I had. Above all, the match wasn't entertaining in any way. Even in Kvitova's worst losses, there are usually a few moments of ownage here and there that make watching them worthwhile, but in Canada she was just uniformly woeful.

Basically everything remains to be done apart from her serve. Kvitova looked like she hadn't played in five months rather than five weeks. Slow, lackadaisical, not even a semblance of footwork, reached literally everything late. Served well but failed to take advantage even of that. Just one tournament to reach some kind of acceptable form may not be enough considering how far she is from it at the moment, but like I said before it's a risk she'll have to take.

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Things went about about as expected in Canada in terms of number of rounds cleared/matches played, but both level of play and scoreline vs Petkovic were way below even the most modest expectations I had. Above all, the match wasn't entertaining in any way. Even in Kvitova's worst losses, there are usually a few moments of ownage here and there that make watching them worthwhile, but in Canada she was just uniformly woeful.

Basically everything remains to be done apart from her serve. Kvitova looked like she hadn't played in five months rather than five weeks. Slow, lackadaisical, not even a semblance of footwork, reached literally everything late. Served well but failed to take advantage even of that. Just one tournament to reach some kind of acceptable form may not be enough considering how far she is from it at the moment, but like I said before it's a risk she'll have to take.

Hopefully, she will now shock you in the opposite way (we hope)in Cincinnati? That, or play her way into form, if Kvitty can go deep in Cincy!?

paulmara
Aug 15th, 2011, 06:19 PM
The first opponent is not Marino but Scheepers. Defeated Arvidsson and Kudraytseva in qualification. Toronto lost to Watson, San Diego lost to Zahlavova Strycova.

TimeyWimey
Aug 15th, 2011, 11:03 PM
sounds like Petra plays night session @ court 3 tmw, waiting for the final OOP

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2011, 01:09 AM
sounds like Petra plays night session @ court 3 tmw, waiting for the final OOP

Yes she is. She's on court 3 at 7pm. That's should be a TV court.

She should of been on court 3, but got bumped off the Grandstand for, American James Blake vs Fabio Fognini (arrgghhh). Sharapova is on Center Court, of course; all at 7pm.

cosmoose
Aug 16th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Yes she is. She's on court 3 at 7pm. That's should be a TV court.

She should of been on court 3, but got bumped off the Grandstand for, American James Blake vs Fabio Fognini (arrgghhh). Sharapova is on Center Court, of course; all at 7pm.

Wimbledon winner on Court 3.
Wimbledon loser on Center court.

F*ck Cinncinati, F*ck ESPN, F*ck Tennis channel :(

bruce goose
Aug 16th, 2011, 02:25 AM
The Cincy website still hasn't managed to update the pdf display of the MD,and the WTA is mimicking the incompetence in servile fashion;basically,it's like watching a couple of monkeys try to f--k a football.....but Petra can transcend all of this nonsense with more great tennis:cool:

paulmara
Aug 16th, 2011, 08:02 AM
2011 Madrid (clay) Kvitova Scheepers 63 63
2008 Memphis (indoor) Kvitova Scheepers 61 63

Coconut91
Aug 16th, 2011, 10:35 AM
2011 Madrid (clay) Kvitova Scheepers 63 63
2008 Memphis (indoor) Kvitova Scheepers 61 63

Good, let's hope she continues the trend. She needs all the matchplay she can get at the moment :scared:

18majors
Aug 16th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Just bring it on, Petra can handle it.

Queen Petra Fan
Aug 16th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Wimbledon winner on Court 3.
Wimbledon loser on Center court.

F*ck Cinncinati, F*ck ESPN, F*ck Tennis channel :(

Worst of all Masha's not even an interesting player to watch anymore. The one armed Barbie doll is totally one dimensional nowadays. Frankly, I don't understand the fascination people have with her. WTH, nobody's seen a tall, flat chested blonde before. I see hotter looking girls than her all over town here in Prague.:confused:

TimeyWimey
Aug 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Worst of all Masha's not even an interesting player to watch anymore. The one armed Barbie doll is totally one dimensional nowadays. Frankly, I don't understand the fascination people have with her. WTH, nobody's seen a tall, flat chested blonde before. I see hotter looking girls than her all over town here in Prague.:confused:

fans of Masha are pathetic, do they not know that Masha cares nothing about them? she only cares about her sponsor and her money, even though she says she cares about her fans during press

and we never hear Petra say thanks to fans during press or interview, but based on the feedback from twitter, she is super nice to all her fans

btw, QPF: on hotter looking tennis girls, have you seen Pliskova sisters in Czech?

ArcticMoose
Aug 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Frankly, I don't understand the fascination people have with her. WTH, nobody's seen a tall, flat chested blonde before. I see hotter looking girls than her all over town here in Prague.:confused:
:p according to paulmara, it is exactly these type of sentiments :angel: that had your other-half put you on a tight leash :p & ban you from posting on the kvitty forum for a few weeks now :p

;) there is a fan club for flat chested blondes you know :angel:

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2011, 05:04 PM
To make matters worse guys.

I went on Livescorehunter, to see if they had Petra's game televised on Court 3, and it's not listed.

Now I've seen this happen on Livescore before, and the game DOES GET broadcast (especially since the tournament scheduled Petra at night on a show/TV court, that has games broadcast earlier in the day. So why not)? I'll wait and see? This confusion, seems to happen more with night games as well. Remember Clijsters in Toronto?

But if it doesn't get Broadcast, I'll be pissed. Because American or not, James Blake vs Fognini, on court 2, is absolute dog of a match. Nobody care's about Blake any more. And that disaster is scheduled on Livescore at 7pm.

I'm hoping for the better (as has happened in the past in these instances, where the match/stream was broadcast, though not listed, when the match was on a TV court). :) :)

TimeyWimey
Aug 16th, 2011, 05:15 PM

I went on Livescorehunter, to see if they had Petra's game televised on Court 3, and it's not listed.

Now I've seen this happen on Livescore before, and the game DOES GET broadcast (especially since the tournament scheduled Petra at night on a show/TV court, that has games broadcast earlier in the day. So why not)? I'll wait and see? This confusion, seems to happen more with night games as well. Remember Clijsters in Toronto?

But if it doesn't get Broadcast, I'll be pissed. Because American or not, James Blake vs Fognini, on court 2, is absolute dog of a match. Nobody care's about Blake any more. And that disaster is scheduled on Livescore at 7pm.

I'm hoping for the better (as has happened in the past in these instances, where the match/stream was broadcast, though not listed, when the match was on a TV court). :) :)

I'm very disappointed with these US open series so far, they understand nothing about tennis and respect, tennis should go back to europe as soon as possible:(

Sasja
Aug 16th, 2011, 05:21 PM

There must be a stream, right :unsure:

Jankovic vs Benesova is on court 3 and is now live on ES.
Also the next match Melzer vs Simon is listed on livescorehunter.

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I'm very disappointed with these US open series so far, they understand nothing about tennis and respect, tennis should go back to europe as soon as possible:(

Absolutely!

As stated, James Blake vs Fognini, is a absolute horror show, irregardless of the outcome.

Nobody care's about Blake, except the sentimental US Open crowd. But there in Cincinnati. Blake has no chance of winning anything this year.

Terrible decision making, with Blake. I don't want to have to search for another stream, and end up with another Live Score-score board watch. We'll see?

Originally Posted by Queen Petra Fan
Worst of all Masha's not even an interesting player to watch anymore. The one armed Barbie doll is totally one dimensional nowadays. Frankly, I don't understand the fascination people have with her. WTH, nobody's seen a tall, flat chested blonde before. I see hotter looking girls than her all over town here in Prague.

Agreed. As far as Masha, I don't get it. You ever seen her without make up? She's got freckles, bleached skin, and looks like a ghost. She's not naturally pretty. She's just made up pretty! I've seen better.

In regards to her body; she's looks like an Ostrich. She's too skinny, too tall (and I'm 6'4" by the way), and has no body what so ever. She's like a 6'2" ironing board!

In a fit of disdain, I can certainly agree, and understand where your coming from Queen Petra Fan (though I don't normally like to really comment on players looks, in the negative).

I know you're only doing it (and me now), cause of all the hype she receives, and the fact that she's on CC Court over Petra tonight, taking a backseat to Blake on the Grandstand to boot. But I don't begrudge Masha's success or notoriety in anyway.

Good for her!

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2011, 05:33 PM
There must be a stream, right :unsure:

Jankovic vs Benesova is on court 3 and is now live on ES.
Also the next match Melzer vs Simon is listed on livescorehunter.

There should be/I agree.

But I don't like the fact (even if she was) that they don't have the common sense, and respect for Petra and her fans to have it listed properly.

They scheduled the game at night, on a show court for Christ Sakes. It's a featured match! Why do we have to go through this? Geesh! Smh/Lol.

Remember that Clijsters match at night, the other day? We all had to look for it, cause it was at 9pm (the only one for that time), and it was hard to find/not broadcast for the first 10-20 minutes, then it was over anyway, when she was injured. Lol.

That's what I want to avoid

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2011, 05:46 PM
PS: No Hawkeye on Court Three as well guys.

I hope that's not a problem?

Petra had no problem with those courts at Wimby, as she was always sharp.

Hopefully, she'll take a cue from Li Na today, and look more crisp in her third Post Wimby outing on the hardcourts (2nd for Li Na, since she had a walk over in her 1st match back).

cosmoose
Aug 16th, 2011, 09:28 PM
90 minutes before the match, I can't find any streams for Petra. :help:
of course, Sharpie's match is available everywhere.

TimeyWimey
Aug 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM
90 minutes before the match, I can't find any streams for Petra. :help:
of course, Sharpie's match is available everywhere.

this is just ridiculous, in fact, matches in day session on court 3 are broadcasted, are they going to sacrifice Petra for Masha and Blake?! WTF:(:(:(

TimeyWimey
Aug 16th, 2011, 09:41 PM
someone at cincy subforum says Petra's game is on ES's schedule, let's see

theFutureisNow
Aug 16th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Some of you guys are funny. Maria and Serena are unquestionably much bigger draws than Petra and should be on center court.

If you want to complain, then worry about Li or various obscure men getting placed ahead of her.

cosmoose
Aug 16th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Some of you guys are funny. Maria and Serena are unquestionably much bigger draws than Petra and should be on center court.

If you want to complain, then worry about Li or various obscure men getting placed ahead of her.

Maria being a big draw is an urban myth.
She doesn't draw exceptionally well in US. Not any more than Caro Woz.

If there is one tournament that casual fans pay attention, it is Wimbledon.
I submit that lot of causal fans are curious about Petra.
I've been reading tweets this week that Petra is drawing lots of "oohs" and "ahhs" during her practice sessions. :)

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:01 PM
The last mens match on court three, the Camera was turned off after the match, and you got a black screen. Usually, they show you old matches in between games, till the next one. This may not be good.

But I can find ancient, insignificant James Blake everywhere.

SMH.

We may have to keep going back to Livescorehunter till the match appears (if it does), like what happened to that Clijsters match in Toronto.

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Petra is not even in the Livescore Scoreboard, right now.

Does this mean her match time is being moved or something (or are they just late to post her match)?

Now it's posted!!

TimeyWimey
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:09 PM
they just showed a seeded player chart in Masha's game and no Petra on it?! anyone saw that?

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:11 PM
This is Disgusting! James Blake and Fognini!!???

AAArrrrggghhhh!!

cosmoose
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:23 PM
This is what happens when you bury Petra on Court 3.
Ghost town.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/374908337.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1313537964&Signature=kGElMBM%2FFoH0O3mi3nlsvc%2FgD2E%3D

TimeyWimey
Aug 16th, 2011, 11:26 PM
This is what happens when you bury Petra on Court 3.
Ghost town.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/374908337.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1313537964&Signature=kGElMBM%2FFoH0O3mi3nlsvc%2FgD2E%3D

wow, can you zoom in, please?

Excelscior
Aug 17th, 2011, 01:43 AM
they just showed a seeded player chart in Masha's game and no Petra on it?! anyone saw that?

I think it was Masha's quarter they showed. Not Petra's. I did see her later, in the draw, on the Tennis Channel.

18majors
Aug 17th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Congratulations on the win Petra.

Sasja
Aug 17th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Petra def Chanelle Scheepers 7-6(3) 6-3 :p

4 aces / 9 DF
53% 1st serves in
68% 1st serve points won
51% 2nd serve points won
5/15 BP won
3/7 BP saved

bruce goose
Aug 17th, 2011, 04:52 AM
First of all,congrats on going 3-0 vs. Scheepers;Chanelle will always be a historical footnote for me b/c it was Petra's initial victory over her that preceded the landmark win over Venus in 2008 that got my attention....Would like to point out another nice difference that a lot of these young gals such as Caroline Garcia get undue credit merely for having a competitive defeat to a top player...yet Petra actually WON her match vs. the legend VW

Also,to address the issue that has bothered some of you in re lack of respect: Petra is at the top center of the WTA webpage in her 'S is B' snapshot.That's at least SOME acknowledgment of her newly-earned status.What's slightly odd are her companions on each side...to the left is Liezel Huber who's a superb dubs player yet virtually non-existent in singles history,and I'm not sure that her dubs success is enough to warrant a position next to the Wimbledon champ...and to the right is BMS...whom you could call the 'Steffi Graf of monkey tattoos'.No doubt that Bethanie could be entertaining with her sideshow freak act during a rain delay...and she likely has memorized ten times as many fart jokes as any other gal on Tour.Still,I'd say that she was less deserving than Huber of a spot beside Grass Queen Lioness Petra.like I've posted previously,Petra can cement her place in the upper echelon merely with second-week runs at Slams in the next 12 months...and then those outer courts will be a thing of the past

cosmoose
Aug 17th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Good report on Petra's day from a TF member.

I'll get to Kvitova's match, but her practice was really cool. She really cracks the hell out of the ball, in practice and in match. She's also a sweetheart that NO ONE recognized. It was embarrassing, and I couldn't believe it because the reigning Wimbledon champion...walked around...with no entourage. Got a picture with her though.

Petra's practice was really cool because the REIGNING WIMBLEDON CHAMPION had absolutely zero entourage, and no one followed her. I started out by myself but then people slowly remembered who she was and then came over. But still only about 20-30 people. Kvitova cracked the ball. It was scary. Though, she does seem more tight than what she started the year. The Wimbledon champion pressures might be weighing on her a bit. She just wasn't looking like the Kvitova who had no fear. She looked like a Kvitova who just realized what she inherited and felt that she needed to play well all the time.

Kvitova vs. Scheepers

Again, I was disappointed by how few people were watching Kvitova. But then I was relieved they weren't watching her. Kvitova began the match very slowly. There would be some stunning winners with some amazing pace off the forehand, and then she'd hit the ball about 6 inches out in every direction off of forehand, backhand, and serve. Petra was very tense. She allowed Channelle to REALLY get her confidence going early and then the set just got more complicated as it went on. Chanelle didn't seem to be bothered that much by Kvitova's pace at first, but as the match continued, the fact that Kvitova's pace stayed the same and actually raised a couple of notches at times just proved to be way too much for Scheepers to handle. Her serve is awful. I look at my pictures on my camera and her mechanics are just off, and that's why her serve is just so....wonderful....Petra just didn't look comfortable at all playing out there. She just looked uncomfortable and her mentality at first was actually quite negative. She was talking to herself, requested her coach pretty early, and didn't let anything go. Again, I can only think that she's realized that she is the Wimbledon champion and that the pressure that she felt was mostly internally driven at the moment. Not anywhere near as bad as post Roland Garros Ivanovic or anything, but it reminded me of post Wimbledon 2004 Sharapova. Maria and Petra both had this look like they knew who they were, they knew what they had to do, but they were overcomplicating it.

Petra's strokes had moments of pure Davenport cleanliness. But then, there were times that she could just be off. Her movement was okay, but she had some kinesio-tape on her left hamstring, so I think that's getting either stiff or irritated. Her serve wasn't working. She needs to work on that some more, but I think because she was just going for too much on second serves. She went for a second serve that was meant for the line, not for a sort of safety zone near the line like a second serve usually is. Her return of serve was on and off too. She, on break points, just tried too hard. On some of Scheepers' serves just didn't get punished because her timing was off and she would hit it into the net. But that number of BP conversions really comes from the second Scheepers serve game where there were like 5 deuces and Kvitova really should have ended it after the first one. She was pressing too much in the rallies on these break point opportunities rather than using her angles.

I would be mildly surprised as a fan if she played well against Petkovic. She looks a bit scratchy and upset with herself, though the court speed will help her.

She was playing a bit better than Toronto though.

Queen Petra Fan
Aug 17th, 2011, 11:36 AM
First of all,congrats on going 3-0 vs. Scheepers;Chanelle will always be a historical footnote for me b/c it was Petra's initial victory over her that preceded the landmark win over Venus in 2008 that got my attention....Would like to point out another nice difference that a lot of these young gals such as Caroline Garcia get undue credit merely for having a competitive defeat to a top player...yet Petra actually WON her match vs. the legend VW

Also,to address the issue that has bothered some of you in re lack of respect: Petra is at the top center of the WTA webpage in her 'S is B' snapshot.That's at least SOME acknowledgment of her newly-earned status.What's slightly odd are her companions on each side...to the left is Liezel Huber who's a superb dubs player yet virtually non-existent in singles history,and I'm not sure that her dubs success is enough to warrant a position next to the Wimbledon champ...and to the right is BMS...whom you could call the 'Steffi Graf of monkey tattoos'.No doubt that Bethanie could be entertaining with her sideshow freak act during a rain delay...and she likely has memorized ten times as many fart jokes as any other gal on Tour.Still,I'd say that she was less deserving than Huber of a spot beside Grass Queen Lioness Petra.like I've posted previously,Petra can cement her place in the upper echelon merely with second-week runs at Slams in the next 12 months...and then those outer courts will be a thing of the past

Good stuff Bruce! As you said, if she stays longer in the tournaments and continues to take big name scalps (the biggest being Serena's) it's inevitable she's going to get proper respect and treatment in the future. With increased maturity and focus, I can easily see our girl being the one who eventually dethrones Serena on a regular basis and becomes the most dangerous lady on the courts. Her game (when it is on) is perfect for this kind of challenge.

I respect Serena Williams to the sky but I only see her having about two strong years left in her. Yesterday, No.45 Lucie Hradecka (CZ)gave her a helluva challenge and could quite possibly have beaten her if she could've stretched her into a third set. Her big serve was dominating Serena. Her low first serve percentage (Serena ate her second serve for lunch) and untimely UEs were her undoing, but she still really had a chance to do something special. It's a shame she wasn't able to convert her opportunity.

Imagine what Petra could do in the same situation. I can't wait to see Petra and Serena go head to head in the future. Their styles will create great battles between them.

Queen Petra Fan
Aug 17th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the TF info Cosmoose. And thanks to DefyingGravity for his thoughts.

It looks like our champion is struggling to adapt to being a champion. Really, she's just putting too much pressure on herself. Let's hope at some point she learns to trust herself and her game and relaxes enough to just let it flow.

If she hangs tough and gets a couple of confidence building wins I think she's going to be okay.

Crossing my fingers. :cool:

18majors
Aug 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for good reports.

bruce goose
Aug 17th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Don't believe in superstition,but something great has happened the previous two times Scheepers fell at Petra's hands:cool:

lupojohn
Aug 17th, 2011, 03:37 PM
This is Disgusting! James Blake and Fognini!!???

AAArrrrggghhhh!!

Despite what you might think, James is still a draw to the casual, U.S. based fans. You have to know that American players will get taken care of if they are any type of a ''name''. I think it's good for Petra to be on outer courts, much like at Wimbledon, until the later rounds. I also think this ''outer court'' theory helped when she upset Dinara at the U.S. Open. There's a perfect example of what i'm talking about: Andy and John played such a long match on Ashe that they had to move Dinara and Petra to Armstrong. No one was really there to pay attention to the match. Finally, let Petra get used to this newfound fame and stardom, then I think she'll be a bigger name, and be ready for being on the main courts. Besides, I did not like what I saw against Petkovic.

lupojohn
Aug 17th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Don't believe in superstition,but something great has happened the previous two times Scheepers fell at Petra's hands:cool:

She won the tournament, eh?

bruce goose
Aug 17th, 2011, 04:40 PM
She won the tournament, eh?The second time,yes,but the first time was in 2008 and she beat Venus in the very next match

Excelscior
Aug 17th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the TF info Cosmoose. And thanks to DefyingGravity for his thoughts.

It looks like our champion is struggling to adapt to being a champion. Really, she's just putting too much pressure on herself. Let's hope at some point she learns to trust herself and her game and relaxes enough to just let it flow.

If she hangs tough and gets a couple of confidence building wins I think she's going to be okay.

Crossing my fingers. :cool:

Petra could very well or not be feeling the pressure. But I think that's a stretch, and personal opinion by Defying Gravity.

It seems to me, her frustration may come from the fact that her game is not where she wants it be right now, as she makes mistakes? Petra said as much herself after, during multiple interviews. Usually when Petra doesn't have answers, or is playing tight; she says "I don't know what was in my head". She didn't say that. She was clear to pinpoint her problems as rust, match play, and the wind (in Toronto at least).

I think the day off today, will be good for her, and Defying Gravity, felt she was at least better than Toronto. That's a start. So we'll see how she looks Thursday?

My hope, is that this will be a Eastbourne type tournament, where she may not play dominating tennis, but she'll find ways to win, make a deep run, and get acclimated to the surface.

After Eastbourne, Petra was sharp as a tack at Wimby, though she was far from it at Eastbourne (though we could all blame the wind for that). So we'll never know?

The one problem with the Eastbourne theory of course, is that every body is in the same boat, with the short time period in between The French and Wimby. On the other hand, after Wimbledon, some players play 4-6 tournaments before the US Open, and some only play 2-4 (after a month off); which is what Petra's dealing with now vs her competition.

I just hope she has some good practices today?

Stay Tuned.

Excelscior
Aug 17th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Good stuff Bruce! As you said, if she stays longer in the tournaments and continues to take big name scalps (the biggest being Serena's) it's inevitable she's going to get proper respect and treatment in the future. With increased maturity and focus, I can easily see our girl being the one who eventually dethrones Serena on a regular basis and becomes the most dangerous lady on the courts. Her game (when it is on) is perfect for this kind of challenge.

I respect Serena Williams to the sky but I only see her having about two strong years left in her. Yesterday, No.45 Lucie Hradecka (CZ)gave her a helluva challenge and could quite possibly have beaten her if she could've stretched her into a third set. Her big serve was dominating Serena. Her low first serve percentage (Serena ate her second serve for lunch) and untimely UEs were her undoing, but she still really had a chance to do something special. It's a shame she wasn't able to convert her opportunity.

Imagine what Petra could do in the same situation. I can't wait to see Petra and Serena go head to head in the future. Their styles will create great battles between them.

Agreed Queen Petra fan.

I'm not going to put the cart before the wheel, the way Petra has been playing so far, but you brought up some good points.

I been saying all along, that someone that serves, returns, and hits deep, hard groundstrokes would beat Serena, or give her trouble. Duh! Lol.

I couldn't help but notice, as I watched her play Hradecka, that "if that was Petra she would of lost for sure". Hradecka served, and hit the ball with the depth and pace to give Serena trouble, with out the Petra-like ROS.

So for those select people that say that Petra can't beat Serena (despite the evidence from last years Wimby), they just had to look at Hradecka, a very poor women's version of Petra, with out the ROS, in that second Set, for additional evidence.

But for now, let's just worry about Petra in her next match. Lol.

paulmara
Aug 17th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Few notes from Petkovic Gajdosova match
This match had poor quality (79UE from Gajdosova, 38 UE Petkovic)but was fascinating. Petkovic looked tired (not so tired like Serena) and she played doubles on Tuesday. It was all about Gajdosova miss – hit –miss. Petkovic was talking to herself in Serbian. Was not happy. She was shouting „towel.“ Gajdosova was swearing in Slovak. Not level 1 swearing but level 2 heavy artilery swearing (like is using Zahlavova-Strycova regularly for example in Bastad)

Wozniacki 3 points from defeat and goes for moonballing.

Serena out

bruce goose
Aug 17th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Agreed Queen Petra fan.

I'm not going to put the cart before the wheel, the way Petra has been playing so far, but you brought up some good points.

I been saying all along, that someone that serves, returns, and hits deep, hard groundstrokes would beat Serena, or give her trouble. Duh! Lol.

I couldn't help but notice, as I watched her play Hradecka, that "if that was Petra she would of lost for sure". Hradecka served, and hit the ball with the depth and pace to give Serena trouble, with out the Petra-like ROS.

So for those select people that say that Petra can't beat Serena (despite the evidence from last years Wimby), they just had to look at Hradecka, a very poor women's version of Petra, with out the ROS, in that second Set, for additional evidence.

But for now, let's just worry about Petra in her next match. Lol.Perhaps I'm reaching a bit to my Petra affiliation,but the fact that she beat Venus--Serena's equal in power--so early in her career...and played SW tough in their first encounter might give Petra the confidence to think,'Yeah,I can take her!'

Excelscior
Aug 17th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Perhaps I'm reaching a bit to my Petra affiliation,but the fact that she beat Venus--Serena's equal in power--so early in her career...and played SW tough in their first encounter might give Petra the confidence to think,'Yeah,I can take her!'

Yeah Bruce.

I think an Inform Petra has the confidence to beat Serena, regardless of how Serena plays. She showed as much at last years Wimby, yanking Serena around the court, hitting her 1st serves for ROS winners, controlling the points, volleying, acing her, etc.

Of course Serena got hers to, but Williams won that first set in a tiebreaker, after Petra was up 4-2, and admitted, she didn't have the confidence (or the experience I may add) to win to beat beat her.

I think things will certainly be different now (unless Petra lacks confidence all together, period).

We'll see?

Queen Petra Fan
Aug 17th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Petra could very well or not be feeling the pressure. But I think that's a stretch, and personal opinion by Defying Gravity.

It seems to me, her frustration may come from the fact that her game is not where she wants it be right now, as she makes mistakes? Petra said as much herself after, during multiple interviews. Usually when Petra doesn't have answers, or is playing tight; she says "I don't know what was in my head". She didn't say that. She was clear to pinpoint her problems as rust, match play, and the wind (in Toronto at least).

I think the day off today, will be good for her, and Defying Gravity, felt she was at least better than Toronto. That's a start. So we'll see how she looks Thursday?

My hope, is that this will be a Eastbourne type tournament, where she may not play dominating tennis, but she'll find ways to win, make a deep run, and get acclimated to the surface.

After Eastbourne, Petra was sharp as a tack at Wimby, though she was far from it at Eastbourne (though we could all blame the wind for that). So we'll never know?

The one problem with the Eastbourne theory of course, is that every body is in the same boat, with the short time period in between The French and Wimby. On the other hand, after Wimbledon, some players play 4-6 tournaments before the US Open, and some only play 2-4 (after a month off); which is what Petra's dealing with now vs her competition.

I just hope she has some good practices today?

Stay Tuned.

The main point right now is she has to fight to stay in the tournaments longer so she can get her game straightened out under game conditions. All that fixing your game in practice stuff just doesn't hold water in my eyes. It's just not the same. All she can do is keep her nose to the grindstone till she finds her rhythm again. Then, watch out!

TimeyWimey
Aug 17th, 2011, 09:22 PM
just curious anyone went to Petra's autograph session today at Wilson Booth?

TimeyWimey
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Thursday's OOP

Court 9 11:00 AM
Marion Bartoli vs Daniela Hantuchova
Petra Martic vs Vera Zvonareva

NB 2:30 PM
Petkovic/Arvidsson vs Petra Kvitova

NB 4:00 PM
Peer/Parmentier vs Shuai Peng
Kirilenko/Petrova vs Grandin/Uhlirova or Hlavacova/Hradecka

Excelscior
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Thursday's OOP

Court 9 11:00 AM
Marion Bartoli vs Daniela Hantuchova
Petra Martic vs Vera Zvonareva

NB 2:30 PM
Petkovic/Arvidsson vs Petra Kvitova

NB 4:00 PM
Peer/Parmentier vs Shuai Peng
Kirilenko/Petrova vs Grandin/Uhlirova or Hlavacova/Hradecka

You got to be kidding, especially with out no Vika, Serena or Wozniaki?

Huh?

They can't be that bad of ATP suck ups, can they?

I think these sleepy courts (if she plays on it, I'm still not convinced she will) are not helping Petra get into form any sooner. If she's in a big match environment, maybe she forgets about things, and just play naturally (at least at this point, after two matches). She must feel like she's in her living room, if she plays on court 9, I'm assuming (and there will be no TV).

I can't believe it, and I'll wait and see for confirmation?

Meanwhile, I get to watch Shahar Peer, and Pauline Parmentier (Vika replacement) on my TV in a evening match.

WTF?

TimeyWimey
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:08 AM
You got to be kidding, especially with out no Vika, Serena or Wozniaki?

Huh?

They can't be that bad of ATP suck ups, can they?

I think these sleepy courts (if she plays on it, I'm still not convinced she will) are not helping Petra get into form any sooner. If she's in a big match environment, maybe she forgets about things, and just play naturally (at least at this point, after two matches). She must feel like she's in her living room, if she plays on court 9, I'm assuming (and there will be no TV).

I can't believe it, and I'll wait and see for confirmation?

Meanwhile, I get to watch Shahar Peer, and Pauline Parmentier (Vika replacement) on my TV in a evening match.

WTF?

tbh, i'm feeling very very bad right now, and i've decided to drive to Cincy tmw for the match

Excelscior
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Now I see. We got screwed for a mid-level ATP match (Ferrer vs either Tip or Simon), no one cares about, and Christina McHale (the American), who no one cares about either (despite her win over Wozniaki, and she'll probably get smoked tomorrow by Petrova anyway)? All those matches are at 2:30pm.

They also have Schiavone and Jankovic at night (roll eyes), on the Grandstand. Who makes up these schedules? These people are so clueless.

I am sooooo sick of Livescore, you don't know!!!

I've never experienced her play a clean match on live score either.

Dag!! Lol

Excelscior
Aug 18th, 2011, 01:15 AM
tbh, i'm feeling very very bad right now, and i've decided to drive to Cincy tmw for the match

Good for you!!

I hope it's worth the trip.

But if you have other important things to do, you may consider not going. If she loses, then you saved a trip for a loss. If she wins, then you get to see her again, and probably on TV, this time. No different than Thursday, and you can still go in person, if you wanted, anyway?

It's up to you?

Excelscior
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:16 AM
For practically all of us who didn't see Kvitova's match yesterday

CINCINNATI.com

Petra Kvitova
advances, albeit 'a
bit confused'

Written by

Kevin Kelly
kkelly@enquirer.com

3:20 AM, Aug. 17, 2011|

Petra Kvitova earned her first Grand Slam
title at Wimbledon earlier this year and has
climbed to No. 6 in the WTA rankings.

Naturally, the 21-year-old from the Czech
Republic is garnering more attention.

"For me as a person, I'm not feeling
different," Kvitova said. "Everything around
me is a little bit different. ... But I don't feel
any pressure or anything."

She won a second-round match Tuesday in
the Western & Southern Open at the
Lindner Family Tennis Center in Mason,
defeating South African qualifier Chanelle
Scheepers 7-6 (3), 6-3 in one hour, 34
minutes.

"It was a strange match," Scheepers said.
"We both made a lot of mistakes. I think at
the important times, she was the one
taking it to the next level. I knew she was
going to be very aggressive and going for
her shots. I think I just made too many
errors."

The sixth seed, Kvitova had a first-round
bye while Scheepers defeated Canadian

Rebecca Marino on Monday.

Kvitova and Scheepers played each other in
April with Kvitova winning the match in
straight sets. On Tuesday, Kvitova won the
first set in a tiebreaker and pulled away in
the second.

She double-faulted nine times.

"I was a little bit confused in the game,"
Kvitova said. "It was fighting with me and
with the opponent, also. It (was) tough for
me... mentally, but I'm happy that I'm
through, for sure."

The W&S Open is Kvitova's second
tournament since beating Maria Sharapova
in the Wimbledon final. She withdrew from
two tournaments citing an adductor injury
and returned for the Rogers Cup, where
she lost to world No. 11 Andrea Petkovic.

"She made a few errors, but looking at all
of her other matches, and when I played
her before, she's a really tough player," s
aid Scheepers, who is No. 101 in the WTA rankings. "She hits her spots really well.
You always feel like if you're just going to
hit the ball back, she's going to hit a
winner. She makes you go for more. She's
really good in everything she does."

Excelscior
Aug 18th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Thank You for covering Kvitova's match yesterday, Mr. Kelly.

TimeyWimey
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Good for you!!

I hope it's worth the trip.

But if you have other important things to do, you may consider not going. If she loses, then you saved a trip for a loss. If she wins, then you get to see her again, and probably on TV, this time. No different than Thursday, and you can still go in person, if you wanted, anyway?

It's up to you?

yeah, ur right, it would be a 5.5hr trip for me:( and i actually plan to get there this weekend for the SFs and Finals, maybe i need to calm down right now and go back to work tmw:)

i was really sad (several hrs ago) that she would not be on TV tmw

Sasja
Aug 18th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Court 9 so again no stream :hysteric:

ArcticMoose
Aug 18th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Court 9 so again no stream :hysteric:

:lol: Remember Toronto R3 : Make sure you're online if you want to see a win :p

I have that positive effect on people :oh: :lol:

But I really wanted to watch this match, but just couldn't make it.

18majors
Aug 18th, 2011, 12:58 PM
There is a chance we'll revisit Wimbledon final with Petra and Maria.

Excelscior
Aug 18th, 2011, 03:08 PM
yeah, ur right, it would be a 5.5hr trip for me:( and i actually plan to get there this weekend for the SFs and Finals, maybe i need to calm down right now and go back to work tmw:)

i was really sad (several hrs ago) that she would not be on TV tmw

I can imagine how you feel Reyeszjj.

But it's probably the best thing to stick to your original plan, if you had other responsibilities planned.

If you stay away, and she wins today, I'm sure you'll be happy either way.

Let's hope her last match and practice will get her in the groove today, minus the terrible, miniscule court 9 crowd. Lol.

I'm not happy either. I hate Live Score. And I feel Petra may to, cause I've never witnessed her play a clean match on it. Lol.

We'll see?

Sasja
Aug 18th, 2011, 04:17 PM
:lol: Remember Toronto R3 : Make sure you're online if you want to see a win :p

I'll be here :dance:

;) :lol:

Sasja
Aug 18th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Petra lost to Petkovic again :o

3-6 3-6

:bigcry:

bruce goose
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Was at work all day so will be looking for comments from you fellow fans;the only thing I wanna throw out there,off the top,is that Petra has lost twice to a player with lots of talent who's steadily rising in the rankings...so I think it's too early to compare the current two-match losing streak with Petra's post-Wimby 2010 slump

BikezAreForever!
Aug 18th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Petra is obviously short on confidence and timing is off too (dont know which one came first). As long as she stays positive and does not get hard on herself she'll be fine. I hope she plays New Haven to play more matches. SHe should not be afraid of losing now. I still think there was improvements out there for her. Also considering her asthma MTO, she fought out in the match OK.

Is there any twitter/facebook page so her fans can relay messages of support to her???

18majors
Aug 18th, 2011, 11:07 PM
It's peculiar that Petra lost to Petkovic twice in two weeks because Petra clearly has the game to take out Petkovic everytime out. Either Petra is not feeling well or she is rusty or both.

In any case, it's temporary and Petra will play to her talent level soon.

cosmoose
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:05 AM
twice in a row to petkoshit? :fiery:

it wasn't even close. This is very worrying. :help::help::help:

Excelscior
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:09 AM
I know this is not the post game interview, press conference you guys want. But it's a start (Scheepers Game).

I'll post Petko one, if/when I see it, as well.

Petra Kvitova WTA Cincinnati Interview – August 16th 2011
Womens Tennis Blog | August 17, 2011 | 0 Comments

Petra Kvitova WTA Cincinnati Interview – August 16th 2011

P. KVITOVA/C. Scheepers
7-6, 6-3

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How do you think things went today?
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, I mean, the match was like — I don’t know, I was a little bit confused in the game. It was fighting with me and with the opponent also, so…
Yeah, it is tough for me for the mentally, but I’m happy that I’m through for sure.

Q. What’s the talk in the locker room among the women’s players about Serena and her comeback? Are they afraid? Are they amazed by her comeback?
PETRA KVITOVA: No. Well, I think that I don’t speak with somebody about this, so…

Q. What do you think?
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, I mean, for her it’s great to be back for sure. She want to be top 10 again and she’s playing great. She has confidence. She can be back for sure.

Q. What is the tape on your left leg for?
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, yeah, I had a little bit of tightness there on the hamstring.

Q. Just recently?
PETRA KVITOVA: Yes.

Q. What did your coach come out and talk to you about in the first and second sets?
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, I mean, he talked to me about like just make a little bit steps before the shots and be ready after the serve and after the return, because she played fast.
So I had to be ready for this.

Q. How do you think your body language was today?
PETRA KVITOVA: Not so great. (Laughter.) Yeah, it was a little bit confused how I said already.

Q. Have you been doing anything around Cincinnati apart from the tennis?
PETRA KVITOVA: What I am doing here?

Q. Yeah. Just anything fun?
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, I didn’t think about this. I have only tennis now, so maybe when I lose I can speak again about this.

Q. How did Wimbledon change your life?
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, for me as a person, I’m not feeling different like before the Wimbledon.
But I know people recognize me and everything around me is a little bit different. I have to go for the press, for the All-Access Hour and something like that.
But I don’t feel any pressure or something.

Q. You reached your highest ranking this week. Were you excited when you saw the rankings?
PETRA KVITOVA: Yeah, of course I am happy for that. But still, I have to improve my game. It’s only a number for my name.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

You notice, Petra maintains she's not nervous, or feels the pressure guys (and she's usually very honest and straight forward)?

bruce goose
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:28 AM
twice in a row to petkoshit? :fiery:

it wasn't even close. This is very worrying. :help::help::help:You don't like ultra-horny Andrea,huh:lol:?Would you care to elaborate on what didn't work for Petra today?If you feel that EVERYthing sucked,then please tell me which areas were the biggest problems

cosmoose
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:44 AM
You don't like ultra-horny Andrea,huh:lol:?Would you care to elaborate on what didn't work for Petra today?If you feel that EVERYthing sucked,then please tell me which areas were the biggest problems

I don't know because the match was not streamed.
But I am against Petkoshit on principle.
I am sick and tired of Petko's attempt to draw attention to herself.
I am sick and tired of seeing Petko's juvenile attempt at humor praised by everyone as something special to behold.

cosmoose
Aug 19th, 2011, 04:45 AM
So, when do we find out if Petra asked for New Haven WC?

TimeyWimey
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:16 AM
So, when do we find out if Petra asked for New Haven WC?

from their website, all WC have been taken:(

cosmoose
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:03 AM
from their website, all WC have been taken:(

what about Dallas?
maybe MM would be good for her confidence?

paulmara
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:34 AM
No Dallas or New Haven

Kvitova talked about not being 100%. "I played badly, made many mistakes, but she played well," she said. "In the second set I was a little dizzy and had cramping in my stomach. I may have been a little tired or something... I don't know what's wrong. I have a week off now, I hope I'll be better for the US Open.

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20110818/petrova-petkovic-to-square-off-in-qfs_2256076_2425223

mac47
Aug 19th, 2011, 11:34 AM
If you graph Petkovic's rise in the rankings, it is almost as steeply upward as Petra's own. Both started the year in the 40's, I think. So no shame in these losses.

It also sounds like Cincinnati air did not sit well with PK's respiratory system. It definitely sucks. I wonder if New York will be any better... :-(

I agree that Petkovic is very obnoxious.

Vikapower's stats on Petra's game does unfortunately seem to show the PK is a much more effective player on grass than on hard courts.

18majors
Aug 19th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Petra has proven to be an all court player and I'm sure she will go very deep at US Open if she is healthy.

Excelscior
Aug 19th, 2011, 02:41 PM
This is what I wrote on the GM game thread, when quoting another poster, and Petra's WTA comments:

[QUOTE]=rucolo;

Kvitova talked about not being 100%. "I played badly, made many mistakes, but she played well," she said. "In the second set I was a little dizzy and had cramping in my stomach. I may have been a little tired or something... I don't know what's wrong. I have a week off now, I hope I'll be better for the US Open."

"I've said it before - Petra and I are good friends. We always talk," Petkovic said. "She has asthma or something, I'm not sure, but she struggles when it's really hot and humid. I told her afterwards I hope she'll be fine for the US Open.

"She's a great girl. She stayed the same after all her success. I respect that."

http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20110818/petrova-petkovic-to-square-off-in-qfs_2256076_2425223

I didn't watch this un-televised match to notice whether or not her asthma was a primary or secondary reason for her loss. But many on court observers (including the daily forehand, and Blogger, Bobby Chin, etc.), clearly stated Petra wasn't herself and moving well. Petra, and Andrea, pretty much backed up that assessment here.

I'm sure Petra has a Czech doctor. But if the asthma here is that bad for her (Ohio posters say their Asthma is really bad), maybe she'd want to carry her medical records with her, and check in with a NY, or local doctor for each tournament, so they can write her a prescription for/where the local/latest tournament is taking place? That may help?

It's bad enough, she's trying to work the rust out, and re-establish her timing, etc.; struggling with a foreign asthma will just add to the complexities.

Hopefully, she'll work it out for NY? Right now the weather is relatively kool and dry. But that's not saying much, cause the weather can change so rapidly, before she comes, or during a long two week tournament.

Last year, she ran into Clijsters in the third round. Hopefully this year, with a better seed (and better confidence), she can go much further. I wouldn't be surprised.

We'll see?

Corswandt
Aug 19th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I have only tennis now, so maybe when I lose I can speak again about this.

When, not if.

Looks like we've got ourselves a realist.

bruce goose
Aug 19th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I don't know because the match was not streamed.
But I am against Petkoshit on principle.
I am sick and tired of Petko's attempt to draw attention to herself.
I am sick and tired of seeing Petko's juvenile attempt at humor praised by everyone as something special to behold.Am not gonna lecture you on which players you should favor;),but at least A.P. seems to like and have a very respectful attitude towards Petra...which counts for something...nice title change,btw:)

Excelscior
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Petra's comments on playing on Court 9 Yesterday, in Cincinatti

"Actually I really like the court. I played two times on the Grandstand and it was never full. Court 9 was actually more full than the Grandstand," she said. "In a tournament like this with so many great matches, I wouldn't know how to make the schedule myself. So it's fine. As long as you win, you don't care!"

Mmmhh. She seems focused, and not letting anything get to her (including the pressure she says), except her tennis play of late.

Hopefully, this will change for the US Open (as long as she doesn't get Serena in the 3rd round, if she gets that far). Lol.

Curious enough; if Masha loses in the semi-finals, Petra moves up to #5 on the ranking list. If so, it'll be curious where she stands with Serena, cause Masha always ended up in Serena's side of the draw from #5 ranking.

If that does happen (though Petra would be a #4 seed, due to Clijsters USO withdrawal), I guess we'll really find out, if tournaments actually hand pick the draws, as many people claim. Lol.

Note: This may of been Petko's comment? Reyeszjj, says Petra never played on the Grandstand in Cincy (though I swore they were talking to Petra, when I read this comment; unless Petra was mistaken). OK.

TimeyWimey
Aug 19th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Petra's comments on playing on Court 9 Yesterday, in Cincinatti

"Actually I really like the court. I played two times on the Grandstand and it was never full. Court 9 was actually more full than the Grandstand," she said. "In a tournament like this with so many great matches, I wouldn't know how to make the schedule myself. So it's fine. As long as you win, you don't care!"

i think this is Petko's comment on the court, Petra never showed at Grandstand at Cincy this year

cosmoose
Aug 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/1491955023/me_normal.JPG@bobbychin (http://twitter.com/#!/bobbychin)
Thought I saw Kvitova on the practice court schedule for an hour,
but she was out there for two. Practiced a ton of down the line shots.

Looks like Petra's asthma is not that serious. :)

Excelscior
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:28 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/1491955023/me_normal.JPG@bobbychin (http://twitter.com/#!/bobbychin)
Thought I saw Kvitova on the practice court schedule for an hour,
but she was out there for two. Practiced a ton of down the line shots.

Looks like Petra's asthma is not that serious. :)

Though I agree with you. I might add, it's not that hard to hit swing/hit winners when your standing still. Lol.

I wonder what she'll do/where she'll go, between now and The US Open? We at least know she can stay in Cincy, for three more days, till the finals are over.

It was reported that she had struck a deal for a wild card with the New Haven Tournament folks, long ago. I wonder if she gave that up (or doesn't wanna plan to go anymore)?

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 19th, 2011, 07:38 PM
All the best Kvitty.:cheer:

bruce goose
Aug 19th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Though I agree with you. I might add, it's not that hard to hit swing/hit winners when your standing still. Lol.

It was reported that she had struck a deal for a wild card with the New Haven Tournament folks, long ago. I wonder if she gave that up (or doesn't wanna plan to go anymore)?In case anyone's still unaware,the NH MD is out...and Petra is nowhere to be found in it...so we can scratch that off......I'm not sure if going to Dallas is such a great idea...even though she'd be the #1 seed there if they gave her a WC

Excelscior
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:00 PM
In case anyone's still unaware,the NH MD is out...and Petra is nowhere to be found in it...so we can scratch that off......I'm not sure if going to Dallas is such a great idea...even though she'd be the #1 seed there if they gave her a WC

My guess is Bruce, they're going to try to figure out/solve her Asthma issue in preparation for NY, then just practice what they need to, and cross their fingers.

We'll see?

Lol

Interestingly enough, when she won Wimbledon, she played Eastbourne right up to the start of the tournament (including playing the final and semi-final on the same day).

I wonder if that would of been food for thought, for New Haven?

Mmmmhh?

Corswandt
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:34 PM
US Open series results were more or less what could be expected - Kvitova's woeful performances on US hardcourts over the last couple of years are no coincidence.

But level of play was considerably below expectations, and it's becoming apparent that Kvitova is in a somewhat uncomfortable position in which she's already dealing with the disadvantages of elite player status (such as having to find excuses for predictable losses that are now rated as "upsets") without benefitting from the corresponding advantages (still hidden in the parking lot while washed up "stars" get the televised courts).

I'm well aware that avoiding overplaying/burnout has to be one of her team's priorities right now considering that she'll play the YEC with a shot to do well there and will have to play the Fed Cup final at the tail end of the season, but to completely waste a whole section of the season like this - and to enter only a couple of packed Premier tournaments in which the cushy draw needed to get the required match play would be unlikely to appear - can only be rated as FAIL.

The losses to Petkovic were indeed predictable BTW - Petkovic's crude, ungainly power grinding is more than enough to beat Kvitova comfortably when she's playing this poorly.

Only 4 matches played (very poorly), brutal scores, uniformly appalling level of play (and apparent cluelessness as to its causes), no signs of improvement. She'll have to try to play herself into a semblance of acceptable form during the first couple of rounds of the USO, and for that she'll need a good draw in the early rounds.

18majors
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:51 PM
The player who beat Maria so comfortably at Wimbledon should be a major contender at US Open. My hunch is Petra will recover her strokes and reach SF or better at US Open.

Excelscior
Aug 19th, 2011, 10:02 PM
The past two weeks will not matter (and be quickly forgotten) if Petra wins, or goes deep into the US OPEN.

Stranger things have happened.

I just watched Berdych waste Federer on the Deco II type surface in Cincinnati, with the same type of game and shots that Petra has. I see no reason why she can't excel at the Open if her game is on (now or in the future).

Keep in mind, despite her opening round failures in Toronto and Cincinati last year, she went to round three at the US Open, losing to eventual champion Kim Clijsters. That was an improvement over the previous two tournaments. And at least this year, she did better than 2010. Lol.

How far would she had gone, if she didn't face Clijsters so soon? Nobody knows.

Hopefully her high seeding at this years US Open, will allow her to get her form back (and avoid Serena in the process, till later), and go deep into the tournament. That wouldn't shock me, in the least bit!

Petra's a big tournament player.

We'll see?

BikezAreForever!
Aug 19th, 2011, 11:41 PM
US Open series results were more or less what could be expected - Kvitova's woeful performances on US hardcourts over the last couple of years are no coincidence.

But level of play was considerably below expectations, ....

....- can only be rated as FAIL.

The losses to Petkovic were indeed predictable BTW - Petkovic's crude, ungainly power grinding is more than enough to beat Kvitova comfortably when she's playing this poorly.

Only 4 matches played (very poorly), brutal scores, uniformly appalling level of play (and apparent cluelessness as to its causes), no signs of improvement. She'll have to try to play herself into a semblance of acceptable form during the first couple of rounds of the USO, and for that she'll need a good draw in the early rounds.
I would disagree with that.
- Petko is better player than you may think, basically top10 and she is in good form. HCs are her best surface too.
- Dip in play after winning first major does happen very often. Just check results Li Na, Schiavone had.
- PK's game is at disadvantage on outdoor HCs due to her low margin strokes.
- Add the asthma which she needs to learn to manage better there.
- I definitely see improvements there when looking at two matches she played with Petko. Cincy match was almost 2 hours long, just compare it with Toronto.

This is more than few odds stacked against her. SO, yea, I do not think I would be too negative. I think that she is getting better and it is on the right path. However it is not a flick of the switch, it is a process which may need to take another 4-6 weeks. As long as she stays positive and fights, she'll be OK and win some tournaments too before the end of the year. Petro, pojd!!:fiery:

TimeyWimey
Aug 20th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Post match interview with Petra yesterday:)

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Looked like you werenít 100% out there today. Talk about what was wrong.
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, I mean, we played in Toronto, so, yeah, I remember something from the match. We know each other very well and she played good.
Yeah, again, I played badly and I made many mistakes. She played well. In the second set I was a little bit dizzy and I had a cramping in the stomach.
But, still, I probably was a little bit tired and something. I donít know whatís wrong.

Q. Was it heat exhaustion or something like that?
PETRA KVITOVA: I donít think so. It was not too warm outside. It was my stomach. I donít have to ask.

Q. Based on your performance here, what are you going to work on on the practice court before the US Open?
PETRA KVITOVA: I mean, still I have bad timing for the hard court and I didnít have some small steps before the shots. Sometimes my serve is like up and down. Itís also right before the US Open, so I have a week off now. Hopefully itíll be better.

Q. Do you remember that match you played against Safina at the US Open?
PETRA KVITOVA: Yes, I remember.

Q. Talk about what your mindset was going into the tournament then, playing the No. 1, and how itíll be different this time?
PETRA KVITOVA: Itíll be different as Wimbledon, for example. The US Open, itís on the hardcourts, of course, and, yeah, Iím looking forward for the matches. Hopefully itíll be better than here and in Toronto.
Hopefully I play my best, or I tried.

Q. Is there a different feeling playing a Grand Slam event?
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, for me, yes. I like the Grand Slams, and I try my best always when I play there. I like the matches on the Grand Slams.

Q. Just how different does it feel? I think when you beat Safina you were close to No. 81 in the world, somewhere around there. Now youíre in the top 10 and a defending Grand Slam champion. How does that sort of change your outlook going into the US Open, knowing there is sort of more of a target on your back?
PETRA KVITOVA: We are lots of players who can win the Grand Slam; itís not only me. So itís not like big pressure on my back or something. Itís similar like before the Wimbledon or before the French. Of course I won a Grand Slam so itís going to be more, but itís not in my head.

Q. How do you think youíve improved during that time?
PETRA KVITOVA: When I won against Safina?

Q. Yeah.
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, I mean, in every part of the game.

Q. Just talk a little bit about that specifically.
PETRA KVITOVA: Well, so I practice tactics for sure for the mentally, and, well, my standards are a little bit higher than before. Before I can lose with everybody and I can win with everybody. So the standard is a little bit higher.

Q. In your earlier match you took a couple of coaching timeouts. How come you didnít take any today?
PETRA KVITOVA: Today?

Q. Yeah.
PETRA KVITOVA: Good question. (Laughter.) I didnít want.

Q. Actually on that note, youíre one of the only players who is young enough to have come up in the WTA Tour during a time when there has always been on-court coaching allowed. Youíre the only one thatís been able to win a Grand Slam, a tournament where itís not allowed. Do you think there is a big difference of having that available and not available?
PETRA KVITOVA: I mean, somebody needs help, the coaching for somebody, doesnít matter. I donít care actually.

Q. Whatís your plan between now and New York? Where are you going to train?
PETRA KVITOVA: We are going to New York for preoperation. I will be there a week before the US Open and we will practice there.

Q. Did you have any emotional letdown or mental fatigue after Wimbledon?
PETRA KVITOVA: No, I mean, after Wimbledon I knew that I have to be still focus on the game and practice a lot before, because I have US Open and final of the Fed Cup and many important matches.
So, yes.

Q. Youíre doing a lot more of these pressers in the bigger rooms and everything. How are you enjoying them so far?
PETRA KVITOVA: After when I lost itís not too good. (Laughter.)

Q. Does the winning Wimbledon change anything when you go on the court now?
PETRA KVITOVA: No. I donít feel anything, no.

Q. Has it changed your schedule between matches or during a tournament or anything as far asÖ
PETRA KVITOVA: No. We try still doing the same like before.

Q. You look really pretty in the Strong is Beautiful ad. How did you enjoy doing those?
PETRA KVITOVA: Thank you. It was nice. Actually, for me it was my first photo shooting, or the big photo shooting, so I enjoy it a lot. I think the photos from there, itís so nice.

bruce goose
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Wonder if Petra genuinely feels that there isn't extra pressure...that's a little hard to believe,but I can't blame her too much for saying that.There's a tendency among female athletes to display a mentality that publicly admitting pressure exists will somehow increase it...which isn't true,of course.You either DON'T feel it or you DO...and if you ARE feeling it internally then it'll hardly make a damned bit of difference what you tell the press...and if you're NOT feeling it,well,then you'll probably exhibit a level of coolness that'll be obvious to most careful observers...which'll make them far less inclined to ask that cookie-cutter question

Excelscior
Aug 20th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Petra will continue to field these questions, as long as they feel she loses before she's supposed to.

That comes with the territory of her new Wimbledon Championship, and near universal praise on her prospects for the future.

If/when she wins; there's no pressure! When she loses; her comes the questions.

Let's see what she does in response!?