PDA

View Full Version : Petra’s US Open Series Thread (2012 discussion starts on page 29)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

ShiftyFella
Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:12 AM
I definitely get many of your points and benefits fella.

However, what does the wind on the Grand Stand, have to do with Ashe?

Secondly, she played on Louis Armstrong her first or second match.

Don't get me wrong. They'll let Petra practice on Ashe. And either way, I think she can win (if she got there). I'm just not sure if the bounce, wind patterns, and size/crowd is exactly the same.

But I definitely get some of your other points, and many do make sense.

But of course we are Waaaaaaay jumping the gun here!! :lol: :tape: :lol:

PS: Looking at the 7pm crowd on Ashe now (Stevens vs Anci), its' about half full. I'm sure the Grand Stand, though smaller, will be filled with rabid fans, that may excite Bartoli. :lol:
first and last matches were on grandstand.

I feel you that proper gaming 'practice' on Ashe is needed but i hope that it would be against whichever OVA advances, thought anything past 4th round would be great results in USO.

also, I think Petrova could be better math up for Kvitty

Excelscior
Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:32 AM
first and last matches were on grandstand.

I feel you that proper gaming 'practice' on Ashe is needed but i hope that it would be against whichever OVA advances, thought anything past 4th round would be great results in USO.

also, I think Petrova could be better math up for Kvitty

It wouldn't be the end of the world playing on Ashe (especially if Petra continues to serve well, thus work her way into the match).

I was just arguing right and wrong from the USTA organizers and why. But that doesn't guarantee a loss from the other player (though they would probably have to be better, and not just lucky, than the player that's used to it; all things being the same)

But we'll see what happens? Petra's gotta win tomorrow first.

Then we can all talk/worry about the next match, if there is one.

But this quarterfinal talk, when the 4th rd is next, needs to stop. :lol: :help: :lol:

Knock on some serious wood!!

steni
Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:33 AM
The problem is that Sharapova can keep Petra pinned to the baseline without giving her many chances to attack the net (see RG semifinal). Sharapova has terrible volleying skills, but her ground/baseline game is excellent (but agreed that simultaneously very boring).

But why talking about Maria and Petra when we know that the QF will be played between Petrova and Bartoli :lol:

Well Petra can beat her from the baseline like in Wimbledon... We are just talking about just in case they meet!

Excelscior
Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:52 AM
Well Petra can beat her from the baseline like in Wimbledon... We are just talking about just in case they meet!

Yes, the reason why Petra was able to blow Sharapova off the court at Wimbledon (besides playing/swinging free and easy), was because the grass was faster and low bouncing.

French and Australian are slower courts. That's why Sharapova could "pin Petra to the baseline", minus her own stupidity, stiff swinging and lack of creativity.

U.S. Open is supposed to be faster than Australian and French Open, so Petra should/may have an advantage?

That's why Graf dominated Seles at Wimby and the US Open, but Seles was more successful at the slower French and Australian. Federer has 12 of his 17 majors at Wimby and the US Open as well.

But either way, Petra would need to attack. You saw the way Ivanovic played Stevens tonight? She just overwhelmed Stevens in the second and third set.

That's how Petra needs to play from this point on. Attack and move forward/come to the net, every chance you get. Just pounce and properly execute!

And it starts tomorrow!

Barktra
Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:53 AM
Guys she still has to get past Bartoli lets not get ahead of our selves

Excelscior
Sep 2nd, 2012, 02:29 AM
Guys she still has to get past Bartoli lets not get ahead of our selves

I agree 100% Ccwab22, and they keep drawing me in this conversation (that's why I was vague at the end of my last post) !!! :sad: :eek: :lol: :eek: :sad:

KNOCK ON A SERIOUS WOODEN TENNIS RACKET!!!

AND WE LOVE AND RESPECT YOU MARION!!! :lol::lol:

PETRA HAS TO BEAT YOU FIRST!!!! :) :lol: :)

bruce goose
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:49 AM
Yeah, we all know what COULD happen at The Open (and I'm sure the thought may of run through our own minds). Neither do we know what's GOING to happen either. So we take it as we see it. It almost sounds like you're waiting for an "I told you so moment (though I'm sure you don't mean to come off that way)".

We all know what you mean about Marion as well. She's a great competitor. But she's also an aggressive player, that can make mistakes and keep the points short, even when she wins them. That's what we'd prefer. Of course, she's also prone to the occasional shit fest as well. We don't know? :shrug:

Now based off what I seen so far, if Petra loses this match, it won't be because she's tired, and so forth if she wins and has to continue. Once again, we don't know.
Well,I can understand why you may have misinterpreted it that way,but there's no need for any "I told you so's" b/c all of us already know that it's not the wisest move to play 5 straight weeks thru a Slam draw.Even if Petra wins--which she very well may do--that still wouldn't validate taking such a risky plan of action over more practical ones.It would only show that Petra had great inner resolve & talent and managed to beat the odds this time

I agree that,if she loses,it doesn't automatically mean that fatigue was the cause,but it would be silly to deny it as a major factor if Petra had visibly less stamina at the end of a match than her opponent did

However,NONE of that was my point in posting earlier: I was merely observing that even a less-than-stellar Petra is capable of beating the Cornets and Parmentiers of the WTA,but NOW she's at the stage where,unless she miraculously runs into Tatishvili in the SF:lol:,from here on out she'll only face foes who will force her to raise her level.That's a Slam test for any younger gal who meets all easy opponents in the early rounds and suddenly runs into tough challenges.Fatigue is only ONE potential factor in the event that Petra is extended to a longer match;she'll probably have to elevate her performance in many aspects to beat the Vikas,Marias and Serenas.....You DID offer us some hope,though,with the observation that a Marion-Petra match was likely to have many short points,and I'd like to see that prediction come true:cool:

Queen Petra Fan
Sep 2nd, 2012, 06:14 AM
Its about money, they don't care about Petra even if she is the USO series winner or GS slam champion, in this country Sharapova's ass is more marketable, you should know better, in the United States everything is about money!

That's a damn dirty lie Stenni! :fiery: :mad: :devil:

You forgot to mention guns :armed:, drugs:smoke:, crime:smash:, fast food:[, obesity :facepalm: and watery piss flavored beer:spit: !!! :o :tape: :help: :lol:

Oh well, at least the beer situation has improved a little. Thank god for brewpubs and microbreweries! :yeah:

:worship: :hearts: Stone Brewing Co., San Diego, is da bomb!!! :hearts: :worship:

:worship: Czech Fed. Cup Team: Kvitova, Hlavackova, Hradecka, Safarova :worship:

Petronius
Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:09 PM
I agree 100% Ccwab22, and they keep drawing me in this conversation (that's why I was vague at the end of my last post) !!! :sad: :eek: :lol: :eek: :sad:

OK, so let's discuss what Petra should do with that $3m paycheck that is coming her way. Should she buy herself a luxury seaside home or a Ferrari for her boyfriend ? :lol:

Kidding.

GL against Bartoli!

Deestruction
Sep 2nd, 2012, 06:09 PM
QPF:spit:

anyways, Bartoli is a very tricky player alot like Pironkova for Ivanovic. But hopefully Petra will do well on her serve.

Queen Petra Fan
Sep 2nd, 2012, 06:40 PM
QPF:spit:

anyways, Bartoli is a very tricky player alot like Pironkova for Ivanovic. But hopefully Petra will do well on her serve.

Hi.

I still stubbornly stick with my comments from post #1480! :lol:

Enjoy the match! :wavey:

:worship: Queen Petra has assured QPF victory so he can get his beauty sleep. Thanks Petra!!! :worship:

Barktra
Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:42 AM

KNOCK ON A SERIOUS WOODEN TENNIS RACKET!!!

AND WE LOVE AND RESPECT YOU MARION!!! :lol::lol:

PETRA HAS TO BEAT YOU FIRST!!!! :) :lol: :)

Lost 1-6 6-2 6-0

Now she has this uso series trophy for nothing :sobbing: she was literally about to burst into tears in the third set

Petronius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:32 AM
Petra won't be sad for very long. After one month in America she has this:

$385,000 (Montreal) + $96,100 (Cincinnati) + $107,000 (New Haven) + $120,000 (US Open) + $70,000 (US Series bonus) = $778,100 in total

How much did YOU earn last month? Anybody still feel sorry for her ? :lol:

GL in the rest of the season, Petra

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:36 AM
Petra won't be sad for very long. After one month in America she has this:

$385,000 (Montreal) + $96,100 (Cincinnati) + $107,000 (New Haven) + $120,000 (US Open) + $70,000 (US Series bonus) = $778,100 in total

How much did YOU earn last month? Anybody still feel sorry for her ? :lol:

GL in the rest of the season, Petra

:lol: thats a lot of money! How much of that she has to pay to Prostejov and the Goverment?

Barktra
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:41 AM
I do she could have 2.9 million dollars just by winning the uso :hysteric:

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:02 AM
Somebody knows Petra's next tournament?

Petronius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:02 AM
:lol: thats a lot of money! How much of that she has to pay to Prostejov and the Goverment?

The club gets 10% of her prize money and 25% of her advertising deals. (According to Kvitty's manager interview with a Czech business magazine, http://strategie.e15.cz/prilohy/sportovci-jako-poslove-marketingovych-sdeleni-749231)

As for the government:

The prize money is taxed in the country where the player earns it, i.e. the U.S. in this case.

BUT, if Petra's tax consultant discovers at the end of the year that she paid more than she would have paid in the Czech Rep., the Czech tax authorites will pay her the difference. :cool:

Barktra
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:06 AM
Somebody knows Petra's next tournament?

Tokyo Pan Pacific

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:10 AM
Tokyo Pan Pacific

thanks, do you know what kind of hard courts this tournament have? and is humid there? how many points is Petra defending?

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:12 AM
[B]The club gets 10% of her prize money and 25% of her advertising deals. (According to Kvitty's manager interview with a Czech business magazine, http://strategie.e15.cz/prilohy/sportovci-jako-poslove-marketingovych-sdeleni-749231)

As for the government:

The prize money is taxed in the country where the player earns it, i.e. the U.S. in this case.

BUT, if Petra's tax consultant discovers at the end of the year that she paid more than she would have paid in the Czech Rep., the Czech tax authorites will pay her the difference. :cool:

How much money are we talking about? and she has to pay them? or she does it because she wants it?

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:15 AM
thanks, do you know what kind of hard courts this tournament have? and is humid there? how many points is Petra defending?

Petra made the semi-finals there last year. Lost to Zvonareva, after being up 5-1 in 2nd set (after winning the first). Yes! Lol

It's a nice fast hard court with a closing roof.

I don't think that was asthma. I think that was Petra not getting used to Zvonareva putting pressure on her and she folded (making Petra rush her shots and forced errors). Petra got her revenge at the YEC.

It's a premier 5, so Petra's probably defending like 400-600 pts. You'd have to look it up.

From when she lost to Vera Z there last year, I looked at it as a tournament she could win this year. Hope she does.

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:30 AM
Petra made the semi-finals there last year. Lost to Zvonareva, after being up 5-1 in 2nd set (after winning the first). Yes! Lol

I don't think that was asthma. I think that was Petra not getting used to Zvonareva putting pressure on her and she folded (making Petra rush her shots and forced errors). Petra got her revenge at the YEC.

It's a premier 5, so Petra's probably defending like 400-600 pts. You'd have to look it up.

From when she lost to Vera Z there last year, I looked at it as a tournament she could win this year. Hope she does.

What happened if Petra skips this tournament? She loses points or what?

ShiftyFella
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:31 AM
What happened if Petra skips this tournament? She loses points or what?
yes, they allow to keep poins for a year

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:38 AM
yes, they allow to keep poins for a year

So she should better play this tournament? I think the Beijing one she can skip, I heard is pretty bad there with all the pollution.

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:40 AM
Tokyo Pan Pacific

I just saw this tournament is until Sep 23, so no Petra for awhile :sad:

bruce goose
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:46 AM
Well,Petra declared various reasons for choosing such a drastically unusual approach to this year's USO,one of which was her early loss last year.This year was better in terms of final placement,but absolutely NOTHING to write home about...and nothing that would validate such an odd preparation plan.There's no shame in losing to Bartoli,yet the way Petra went out so meekly in the last set spells F-A-I-L for her prep.She was the #5 seed and didn't even reach the QFs as such a seed is slated to do.Again,being upset by Bartoli is nothing embarrassing---being uncompetitive in the last 2 sets with a Slam on the line IS pathetic,though...for a player with designs on being elite.If she follows THIS year's reactive schedule/decision-making,then she'll do something REALLY bizarre next year just to try something completely different...perhaps not entering one single tourney between Wimby and the USO:help:

Another justification for the triple tune-up was that Petra was supposedly playing her way into form and building confidence for the big matches.Once more,on both accounts: FAIL!!!Beating the first three unremarkable opponents she faced was something that about 50 gals could've accomplished without too much trouble,and then the VERY first match vs. a tough foe resulted in an ass-whupping.I wouldn't define that as either 'finding form' or displaying much confidence or resolve.

Lastly,I have no idea how tired that Petra was or wasn't,and it truly doesn't matter at this point...nor do I care too much which words Petra chooses to share with the fans and media cuz we can expect most athletes to be less-than-100% candid with the press.My main concern is that Petra is,privately,honest with herSELF about what it's gonna take to produce a more respectable USO showing.We know that she CAN win the brass ring based on how she did earlier in the USO Series;it's just a question of doing more than simply beating prelim foes when she actually gets to NYC

Deestruction
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:50 AM
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:58 AM

Hmmm I just checked and everybody (except Serena) is playing this tournament, so Its gonna be tough!

ShiftyFella
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:01 AM
So she should better play this tournament? I think the Beijing one she can skip, I heard is pretty bad there with all the pollution.
for sure she should play, she had a great summer and achieved her best result in uso, so she has momentum going forward.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:07 AM
Hmmm I just checked and everybody (except Serena) is playing this tournament, so Its gonna be tough!

Who else could beat her there, except Masha (and maybe Kerber), if Serena's not there?

And of course she has to go, she's got points to defend and three weeks off.

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:08 AM
for sure she should play, she had a great summer and achieved her best result in uso, so she has momentum going forward.

the only bad thing for me is wake up super early in the morning to watch her matches!

Queen Petra Fan
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:10 AM

She had her best NA HC season ever. It's a step forward.

Now on to Asia and the Orient and go do even better Petra!!! :yeah:

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:10 AM
the only bad thing for me is wake up super early in the morning to watch her matches!

Depends what time she plays. If you're in the US, there's a 11-12 hr difference.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:15 AM

I just hope she bottles that first set and takes it to Asia with her. :lol: :angel: :lol:

That was YEC-like Petra.

Besides the the tournaments she won and competed in previously (albeit with the disappointment of the US Open), I liked the tennis that she played in the first set of this match.

That excites me, if this is the way she knows she needs to play to beat Big serving, hitting, returning quality opponents on Hard Courts (as she did in last years YEC).

We'll see?

ShiftyFella
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:20 AM
Who else could beat her there, except Masha (and maybe Kerber), if Serena's not there?

And of course she has to go, she's got points to defend and three weeks off.
Scremopava would have her usual excuse not to play or just be out in 1st round cause she always slumps in next event after loosing to Serena, so we left with rejuvenated and highly motivated Li Na, unpredictable Kirby and maybe Kirilenko cause she's in great form this year and would be little hungrier much like at the Olympics

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:22 AM
Depends what time she plays. If you're in the US, there's a 11-12 hr difference.

Well yeah I know. Last year I woke up like 2 or 3 am lol

Synth
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:55 AM
So I missed this match. But honestly, doesn't really matter that much. And it's probably because I'm pretty peeved at this outcome, but Petra honestly has not played like a top 5 player this year. When she's on, she's great, and she is still my favorite. But Petra has beaten none of the top players this year: Sharapova, Azarenka, Serena, Radwanska, she has a losing record against Kerber. People can say that she never got the chance to play some of them like Azarenka, but in most of those cases it's because Petra played so badly she wasn't even able to reach Azarenka. At best, she's No. 6.

To be perfectly blunt, Petra's game is in the pits right now (though better than it was in the first half of the year), and her head's not much better. She's inconsistent, unable to win competitive matches against quality opponents. She's had soft draws at all the GS's, including the US Open which she failed to capitalize on. And I'm tired of rationalizing to myself why matches that she should be steamrolling through, she's scraping by messily. Whether it be: Player XXX really is secretly really really good or Petra is just conserving energy, etc.

I'm just incredibly frustrated. Kirilenko? Bartoli? really, Petra, really? And I don't want to hear any of that shit that Bartoli really IS a good player. Of course she is. She's a great player. So is Kirilenko. Kvitty's better. Petra's capable of blowing them off the court. The fact that she didn't, is her own damn fault. Blah, I'm still waiting for Petra to reshow me that she can actualize all the potential she has consistently, the way she did at Wimbledon and YEC last year, even her tournament wins in Montreal and New Haven were very very messy ones.

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:22 AM
So I missed this match. But honestly, doesn't really matter that much. And it's probably because I'm pretty peeved at this outcome, but Petra honestly has not played like a top 5 player this year. When she's on, she's great, and she is still my favorite. But Petra has beaten none of the top players this year: Sharapova, Azarenka, Serena, Radwanska, she has a losing record against Kerber. People can say that she never got the chance to play some of them like Azarenka, but in most of those cases it's because Petra played so badly she wasn't even able to reach Azarenka. At best, she's No. 6.

To be perfectly blunt, Petra's game is in the pits right now (though better than it was in the first half of the year), and her head's not much better. She's inconsistent, unable to win competitive matches against quality opponents. She's had soft draws at all the GS's, including the US Open which she failed to capitalize on. And I'm tired of rationalizing to myself why matches that she should be steamrolling through, she's scraping by messily. Whether it be: Player XXX really is secretly really really good or Petra is just conserving energy, etc.

I'm just incredibly frustrated. Kirilenko? Bartoli? really, Petra, really? And I don't want to hear any of that shit that Bartoli really IS a good player. Of course she is. She's a great player. So is Kirilenko. Kvitty's better. Petra's capable of blowing them off the court. The fact that she didn't, is her own damn fault. Blah, I'm still waiting for Petra to reshow me that she can actualize all the potential she has consistently, the way she did at Wimbledon and YEC last year, even her tournament wins in Montreal and New Haven were very very messy ones.

We can wait for this forever, cause with her you never know. One thing that bothers me is when she said that she doesn't have specific goals and blah blah blah, come on, how can this be possible? she never dream about being #1 or winning a GS, so why is she playing tennis? I honestly don't really know what Petra wants to achieve as a tennis player? I'd be fine if she says to be #1 but she doesn't say anything.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:51 AM
We can wait for this forever, cause with her you never know. One thing that bothers me is when she said that she doesn't have specific goals and blah blah blah, come on, how can this be possible? she never dream about being #1 or winning a GS, so why is she playing tennis? I honestly don't really know what Petra wants to achieve as a tennis player? I'd be fine if she says to be #1 but she doesn't say anything.

This is one of those things that having a Martina Navratilova, or some big time coach, confidant could teach Petra not to run away from and deal with head on.

It's obvious Kotyza/Csersonek and team try to keep Petra as relaxed as possible, and to just keep her focus on improving, with out the burden of immediate gratification.

But there are limits to this approach. Sometimes you need to get greedy and be gratified. Cause like you said Steni, how can you keep progress of your "improvement" sometimes, if you can't judge it by wins, tournament titles and eventual rankings?

That's ultimately what counts (though we all know we can get a great payoff in the end 6mos-2yrs from now of potential Petra dominance).

So yes, we all want the player to grow and develop. But what's the sense of having all this talent/firepower, if you don't know what to do with it (and yes we know, it subsequently takes longer to develop all that firepower)? And?????

It's like Janet Jackson used to say "What Have You Done For Me Lately"?

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:03 AM
This is one of those things that having a Martina Navratilova, or some big time coach, confidant could teach Petra not to run away from and deal with head on.

It's obvious Kotyza/Csersonek and team try to keep Petra as relaxed as possible, and to just keep her focus on improving, with out the burden of immediate gratification.

But there are limits to this approach. Sometimes you need to get greedy and be gratified. Cause like you said Steni, how can you keep progress of your "improvement" sometimes, if you can't judge it by wins, tournament titles and eventual rankings?

That's ultimately what counts (though we all know we can get a great payoff in the end 6mos-2yrs from now of potential Petra dominance).

So yes, we all want the player to grow and develop. But what's the sense of having all this talent/firepower, if you don't know what to do with it (and yes we know, it subsequently takes longer to develop all that firepower)? And?????

It's like Janet Jackson used to say "What Have You Done For Me Lately"?

We better get used to this and expect more shitty matches in the future so the disappointment wont be worse. I hope she goes back to the practice courts and the gym, her boyfriend can wait until the season is over.

Queen Petra Fan
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:55 AM

HOME RUN Synth! I can't argue with ANY of this. :yeah:

Until she starts proving she can beat the elite players again, she is what she is, only a very well paid Top 10er. :sad:

ShiftyFella
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:07 AM
Petra tries to be too nice of a person and not embracing her competitive spirit, she closely resembles to me Sam Stosur who still not believes she is top player that can beat other top players, so she easily gives up midway through the match. Either Petra not ready mentally to be that champ fearing she can collapse under high pressure and expectation or HuggyBear made her too soft. If Petra not really ready mentally than we can give credit to Csersonek for not pushing it, so she wouldn't collapse and go down the drain like many others did. To me you can't wait until you ready cause until you try it you never be ready, i think she needs to rediscover herself like Li Na did this season, sort of reset her mindset and be ready to play at high level and focus only on her game, realizing that with that comes media attention, hype, more pressure and willingness to put all that aside. Petra already shown that if in great form and didn't thinks too much she wins it all. Now she needs to do it consistently

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
I'm slightly disappointed. I guess she peaked too early.:( Anyways, 2 titles on American hardcourt is already beyond my expectation this time. At least she's still in top 10. :cheer: Hopefully she can do well in YEC.:cheer:

Petronius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:52 PM
BTW, it just occurred to me that despite her 'disappointing' season Petra can easily end up with 7 or 8 trophies when all is said and done this year:

Hopman Cup, Rogers Cup, New Haven, US Series plus possibly Tokyo, Linz/Luxembourg, Beijing, YEC, Fed Cup...

Even without a slam, still possibly an astonishing season that 99% of the WTA players would take any day.

Petronius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
I'm slightly disappointed. I guess she peaked too early.:( Anyways, 2 titles on American hardcourt is already beyond my expectation this time. At least she's still in top 10. :cheer: Hopefully she can do well in YEC.:cheer:

If Petra plays at least like this, she may be in the top 10 for many years to come. Her points are now nicely spread over the entire season.

ShiftyFella
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
BTW, it just occurred to me that despite her 'disappointing' season Petra can easily end up with 7 or 8 trophies when all is said and done this year:

Hopman Cup, Rogers Cup, New Haven, US Series plus possibly Tokyo, Linz/Luxembourg, Beijing, YEC, Fed Cup...

Even without a slam, still possibly an astonishing season that 99% of the WTA players would take any day.
Tokyo\Linz\YEC can easily be hers but not sure about Beijing and think she should try Kremlin instead of Luxe

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
@Imperfect Angel, Petronius, etc.

You know we sound like Wozniaki fans now right (at least in the past)!? :lol:

I mean, I guess we'll be happy if/when she wins future tournaments this year. But right now, I can't even think about it, after another disappointing Grand Slam/Olympic loss.

If it wasn't athsma, then Petra was either mentally or physically burnt out. If it wasn't those, and she just plain ole folded, then she's got other continuing issues to deal with. But I guess that would be better than ongoing asthma in NA.

Who knows with Petra? That's always the problem. She's so damn complicated. :lol:

She's not like plain ole WTA misfits, where you know what the problems are clearly. With Petra, there's always 3-7 potential qualifiers you have to throw in when discussing some of her poorer losses.

SMH

Jan_S
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:12 PM

It is only because you do not live in Czech Republic and cannot see/hear some of her responses in her native language.

Yes, she mentioned that as a girl she had not dreamed about playing tennis professionally. But now - being a tennis player - she wants to improve her game and win the biggest tournaments. She has told it repeatedly. When asked if she was mentally ready for the possibility that Wimbledon 2011 could be her only slam title, she answered resolutely "no, I want to win more". On the other hand, she does not care much about money or ranking; these are just byproducts which come with having a great game and winning titles.

Vikapower
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:22 PM

Well some of her matches at Istanbul were pretty messy too and she still won the event -- I think Petra is still having a good year. I wish I could have watched all the US series but with back to school I really really need to be more serious in my last up-coming year (exception was exceptionally made for the US Open though). I only saw two of her matches Montreal F (in bits) and Cincinnati against Kerber actually 3, Montreal R32 too.

I just think tough that her game is built in the sort like Mary Pierce, she'll have good seasons like this one and will peak from time to time to win the bigger events but she'll always be prone to some kind of bizarre/random upsets.

Well, it's true that she's slowly brought to this enclosed vision of structuring her game especially when she's off her peak but this will take many years. Probably 3 or 4 before reaching to conclusive result that would be effective enough. She's succeeded quite a bit, she's a genuine all-court player, right ?

She has the advantage of having a big game but she's felt it already that it's way too big to dominate on regular basis and Petra has learnt to win lots of matches, tournaments even playing bad/average because I have a feeling this will be the regular pattern for her when she's off her peak game...

I'll probably be criticized for saying this but the expectations on Petra are disproportionate in regards of her (regular) style of play (it was proportionate to her achievements last year don't get me wrong). Everyone expects her to dominate like as if she was some kind of Radwanska or Kerber with a super-constant aggressive-counter-punching game or like Victoria with her hybrid aggressive baseline/counter-punching tennis (though more oriented aggressive baseline) but I fear --

She might probably never even reach to that specific stage, just watch Sharapova for example, she's been on tour since ~2001-2002 and she's never dominated for the instant of a second the WTA tour -- Sharapova has always kind of been the bridesmaid of players with a better structured brand of tennis, Justine, Davenport, Serena, Azarenka today etc. -- she's the type who can hit a peak once in a while but struggle against most decent players who have the ability to counter her strengths. In this slow surfaced era there are a lot able to do that.

I just hope Petra doesn't become the next Sharapova, the one who as like a myth at her very best (peakPova) can always beat anybody on the planet earth bar Serena (stating it as the legend is written) but who's very best factually appears like every 6 000 000 years and in between gets consistently dismantled by most potent players who can counter her strengths (at/near her relative best). One might hope that in between she finds more stability but how long is the question.

Petronius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
Time to refresh some nice moments of the past... (Thanks to jerriy/Droog)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BDBtbg9Ihc4/UEEcmj2exhI/AAAAAAAAHuw/P4yOPyvfP4A/s975/pova-kvitty.jpg

Vikapower
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
She's so damn complicated.

Petra is like most players of her style or at least close to it, Julia Goerges, Safarova, Sorana etc. they're all very complicated.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:32 PM
Time to refresh some nice moments of the past... (Thanks to jerriy/Droog)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BDBtbg9Ihc4/UEEcmj2exhI/AAAAAAAAHuw/P4yOPyvfP4A/s975/pova-kvitty.jpg

Jerriry is Droog?

How do you know Petronius? :lol:

Petronius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:36 PM
Jerriry is Droog?

How do you know Petronius? :lol:

:angel:

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:45 PM
Well some of her matches at Istanbul were pretty messy too and she still won the event -- I think Petra is still having a good year. I wish I could have watched all the US series but with back to school I really really need to be more serious in my last up-coming year (exception was exceptionally made for the US Open though). I only saw two of her matches Montreal F (in bits) and Cincinnati against Kerber actually 3, Montreal R32 too.

I just think tough that her game is built in the sort like Mary Pierce, she'll have good seasons like this one and will peak from time to time to win the bigger events but she'll always be prone to some kind of bizarre/random upsets.

Well, it's true that she's slowly brought to this enclosed vision of structuring her game especially when she's off her peak but this will take many years. Probably 3 or 4 before reaching to conclusive result that would be effective enough. She's succeeded quite a bit, she's a genuine all-court player, right ?

She has the advantage of having a big game but she's felt it already that it's way too big to dominate on regular basis and Petra has learnt to win lots of matches, tournaments even playing bad/average because I have a feeling this will be the regular pattern for her when she's off her peak game...

I'll probably be criticized for saying this but the expectations on Petra are disproportionate in regards of her (regular) style of play (it was proportionate to her achievements last year don't get me wrong). Everyone expects her to dominate like as if she was some kind of Radwanska or Kerber with a super-constant aggressive-counter-punching game or like Victoria with her hybrid aggressive baseline/counter-punching tennis (though more oriented aggressive baseline) but I fear --

She might probably never even reach to that specific stage, just watch Sharapova for example, she's been on tour since ~2001-2002 and she's never dominated for the instant of a second the WTA tour -- Sharapova has always kind of been the bridesmaid of players with a better structured brand of tennis, Justine, Davenport, Serena, Azarenka today etc. -- she's the type who can hit a peak once in a while but struggle against most decent players who have the ability to counter her strengths. In this slow surfaced era there are a lot able to do that.

I just hope Petra doesn't become the next Sharapova, the one who as like a myth at her very best (peakPova) can always beat anybody on the planet earth bar Serena (stating it as the legend is written) but who's very best factually appears like every 6 000 000 years and in between gets consistently dismantled by most potent players who can counter her strengths (at/near her relative best). One might hope that in between she finds more stability but how long is the question.

Thanks for your comments Vikapower.

However, let's keep things in perspective. :lol:

Up until the US Open, Petra was the most consistent WTA player in the majors. She had made the quarterfinals, semi finals and semifinals of the previous 3 majors. And she just missed the quarterfinals at the Open, by losing in the fourth round.

And she has two titles and a top 5 ranking in a "down year". Up until recently, neither Radwanska or Vika had a lot of tournament wins. And Masha, despite her style, has won 3 (maybe) this year, though I will agree she hadn't won much previously. However, you could of said the same about Radwanska, until last year as well.

So I hear what you're saying Vika power. But that' appears like an overreaction and projecting. Different players have different styles, which can garner both different and similar results. Petra may not (or maybe she will) week in week out advance in tournaments like a Radwanska, but still may end up with more points or tournament wins (and more than likely Grand Slams).

How would Petra's year had been if she would of played Vika at the Australian (1+ month after Petra beat Vika in the YEC for the 4trh time in a row) and Radwanksa-who she's also whupped up on in the other two majors, instead of Masha and and Serena 3X?

Come on now Vikapower. You can't compare Petra to Julia Georges and the like. Our dissapointment is in Petra not winning majors or P-Mand and P-5 tournaments. Julia Georges and some of those other players you mentioned, can't even get out of the 2nd or third round, mind you win these tournaments.

I know you like those players. But the two (and the like) aren't even remotely close. Geesh! Lol

Synth
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
This might sound ridiculous, but my point of comparison for Petra is Serena. Huge attacking game, huge serve, aggressive play. A little bit of Navratilova thrown in there with some deft touch at the net. And both of those points of reference have dominated the tour. The only thing holding her back is her mindset/head. She clearly has the talent and the game. I'm only disappointed because she seems so far away from her potential. I refuse to sell her short. Anyways, as per usual, I'll be back on the Petra bandwagon screaming like a crazed monkey as soon as Tokyo comes around.

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:03 PM

I don't see this girls dominating either, they may have all this qualities that you said, except for a great serve lol, but a 100% Petra can kick their butts. I still think Petra can have a better career than this girls, if she works hard to overcome her health problems, her fitness and mentality of course.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
I don't see this girls dominating either, they may have all this qualities that you said, except for a great serve lol, but a 100% Petra can kick their butts. I still think Petra can have a better career than this girls, if she works hard to overcome her health problems, her fitness and mentality of course.

Agreed.

I don't' see Kerber in the top 10 even 1-2 years from now. She's another Wozniaki, unless she changes her game, and mainly her serve.

Radwanska is having her best year this year, and just made her first Slam semi-final/final this year. Previously, she hadn't won a tournament in 3 yrs, despite being a fixture in the top 20, and a top Junior player. So Aga's got nothing to write home about either. And she may fall back to earth shortly, if she doesn't change her game even more. She strikes me as someone that would get tired and worn down.

Vika just made her first Slam semi-final last year, after 2+ years in the top 10. She'll probably hang around. But I don't see Vika as a serious slam contender if/when Petra is on her game. Serena, Sharapova (off Hardcourts) and other big hitters will take care of Vika when Petra's not there.

Ironically, Petra has similar career numbers to these girls in mainly two years. So I would bet on her trajectory, more so then them, especially if this is her "down" sophomore year.

Remember Vika wanted to allegedly quit. And Radwanska hadn't won a tournament in 3yrs, after both their bold debuts, 3-4yrs ago and top 10-20 status, with relatively nothing to show for it.

Petronius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
How would Petra's year had been if she would of played Vika at the Australian (1+ month after Petra beat Vika in the YEC for the 4th time in a row) and Radwanksa-who she's also whupped up on in the other two majors, instead of Masha and and Serena 3X?

This. Vikapower won't like it, but one of the reasons Azarenka and Radwanska are ranked 1# and #2 and have had so much success this year is that they haven't met a girl that is 7-0 against them in the last seven matches.

Not their fault obviously, but how different Petra's year could have looked if she had drawn them instead of Maria 3x and Serena 1x?

Moreover, if Petra had beaten Kerber in Rome and Bartoli now in NYC, who would have she played against in the next round? You know the answer - another two matches against Sharpie, making it five in total this year!

This again clearly indicates that draws can have big impact on top players' season results and rankings, as tennis is a lot about match-ups (see e.g. Federer-Nadal).

I hope Petra is drawn with Azarenka and Radwanska in the same group at the YEC and show them who's the boss.

I plan to start a thread "How would have Azarenka's and Radwanska's season looked like, had Kvitova drawn them instead of Sharapova and Serena?" :lol:

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:38 PM
This. Vikapower won't like it, but one of the reasons Azarenka and Radwanska are ranked 1# and #2 and have had so much success this year is that they haven't met a girl that is 7-0 against them in the last seven matches.

Not their fault obviously, but how different Petra's year could have looked if she had drawn them instead of Maria 3x and Serena 1x?

Moreover, if Petra had beaten Kerber in Rome and Bartoli now in NYC, who would have she played against in the next round? You know the answer - another two matches against Sharpie, making it five in total this year!

This again clearly indicates that draws can have big impact on top players' season results and rankings, as tennis is a lot about match-ups (see e.g. Federer-Nadal).

I hope Petra is drawn with Azarenka and Radwanska in the same group at the YEC and show them who's the boss.

I plan to start a thread "How would have Azarenka's and Radwanska's season looked like, had Kvitova drawn them instead of Sharapova and Serena?" :lol:

Nice thought.

But don't!!! :lol:

It would only appear like sour grapes and frustration after losing to Bartoli. :lol:

TennisAddict84
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:17 PM

:lol::oh:

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:27 PM
From TennisAddict84 I plan to start a thread "How would have Azarenka's and Radwanska's season looked like, had Kvitova drawn them instead of Sharapova and Serena?"

:lol::oh:

I call them the little sisters (though I know Vikapower won't agree with this, and Caroline just left the group) in contrast to Serena, Petra and Masha.

I will admit Azarenka is a Big Sister as far as results, but NOT for her Little Sister power and un-intimidating game). :lol: :oh: :lol:

Synth
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:31 PM

Petra's also been in much better form against them in previous matches. I think Radwanska's a 50/50, but unless Petra radically improves her form randomly, there's no way that she would beat Azarenka. And I strongly dislike Azarenka. And as we've seen this entire year, Petra has been unable to raise her level to meet the challenge- there's simply been no evidence that a match with Azarenka would even be competitive. It's up to her and her coach to figure out what's the matter and to fix it, if she'd like to dominate the tour. Else, she'll probably end up with a Sharapova like career, winning the occasional major here and there when her game clicks for two weeks running.

Here's a quick rundown of her year. And it really blows seeing it laid out like this.

Sydney: defeated by Li. Beat Dulgheru and Hantuchova. She would've faced Azarenka if she managed to play up to her seeding. (Seeded 2)

AO: defeated by Sharapova. beat Errani, Ivanovic, Kirilenko, CSN, Dushevina. She would've faced Azarenka if she managed to play up to her seeding. (Seeded 2)

Indian Wells: defeated by McHale. beat Barbora Strycova. She would've faced Kerber-Li- then Azarenka in the SF if she managed to play up to her seeding. (Seeded 3)

Miami: defeated by Venus Williams. Would've faced Wozniak, Ivanovic, Radwanska, then technically Azarenka (if Bartoli did not upset her) in the SF if she managed to play up to her seeding. (Seeded 3)

Stuttgart: defeated by Sharapova. Beat Schiavone and Kerber, first tournament where she lived up to her seeding. (Seeded 3)

Madrid: defeated by Hradecka. Beat Erakovic. Slated to meet Sharapova (if she had beaten Serena), if she lived to her seeding. (Seeded 4)

Rome: defeated by Kerber. Beat Pavlychenkova and Cirstea. Slated to meet Sharapova if she lived up to her seeding. (Seeded 4)

FO: defeated by Sharapova. Beat Barty, U. Radwanska, Bratchikova, Lepchenko, Shvedova. Second tournament where she lived up to her seeding. (Seeded 4)

Eastbourne: defeated by Makarova. First round exit. Wozniacki was drawn to be her SF opponent. (Seeded 2)

Wimbledon: defeated by Serena. Beat Amanuradova, Baltacha, Lepchenko, and Schiavone. Had she lived up to her seeding, she would've faced Azarenka in the SF. (Seeded 4)

OG: defeated by Kirilenko. Beat Bondarenko, Peng, Pennetta. Lived up to her seeding. If Radwanska had made it to the QF, she would've played her here. Sharapova was her SF opponent. (Seeded 6)

Montreal: won. Beat Li, Wozniacki, Paszek, Bartoli, Pervak. Exceeded her seeding for the first tournament. Slated to meet Azarenka in the QF and Sharapova in the SF, but Azarenka withdrew due to injury and Sharapova withdrew due to stomach illness. (Seeded 5)

Cincinnati: defeated by Kerber. Beat Pavlychenkova, Peng, Barthel. Lived up to her seeding. Would've faced Serena in the SF, but Serena was upset by Kerber. (Seeded 4)

New Haven: Won. Exceeded her seeding for the second time. Beat Wozniacki, Errani, Safarova, Gibbs. Would've faced Radwanska in the F, but she pulled out citing a right shoulder injury (Seeded 2)

The general gist is that she was slated to meet Azarenka and Radwanska several times over the course of the year, but she failed to live up to her seeding to even face them. Out of the fourteen tournaments listed above she lived up to her seeding 4 times, and exceeded it twice. That's eight times that she's failed to live up to her seeding. And the times she's lived up to her seeding have mostly come as her seeding drops/tournament draws become weaker.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:48 PM
Petra's also been in much better form against them in previous matches. I think Radwanska's a 50/50, but unless Petra radically improves her form randomly, there's no way that she would beat Azarenka. And I strongly dislike Azarenka. And as we've seen this entire year, Petra has been unable to raise her level to meet the challenge- there's simply been no evidence that a match with Azarenka would even be competitive. It's up to her and her coach to figure out what's the matter and to fix it, if she'd like to dominate the tour. Else, she'll probably end up with a Sharapova like career, winning the occasional major here and there when her game clicks for two weeks running.

Here's a quick rundown of her year. And it really blows seeing it laid out like this.

Sydney: defeated by Li. Beat Dulgheru and Hantuchova. She would've faced Azarenka if she managed to play up to her seeding. (Seeded 2)

AO: defeated by Sharapova. beat Errani, Ivanovic, Kirilenko, CSN, Dushevina. She would've faced Azarenka if she managed to play up to her seeding. (Seeded 2)

Indian Wells: defeated by McHale. beat Barbora Strycova. She would've faced Kerber-Li- then Azarenka in the SF if she managed to play up to her seeding. (Seeded 3)

Miami: defeated by Venus Williams. Would've faced Wozniak, Ivanovic, Radwanska, then technically Azarenka (if Bartoli did not upset her) in the SF if she managed to play up to her seeding. (Seeded 3)

Stuttgart: defeated by Sharapova. Beat Schiavone and Kerber, first tournament where she lived up to her seeding. (Seeded 3)

Madrid: defeated by Hradecka. Beat Erakovic. Slated to meet Sharapova (if she had beaten Serena), if she lived to her seeding. (Seeded 4)

Rome: defeated by Kerber. Beat Pavlychenkova and Cirstea. Slated to meet Sharapova if she lived up to her seeding. (Seeded 4)

FO: defeated by Sharapova. Beat Barty, U. Radwanska, Bratchikova, Lepchenko, Shvedova. Second tournament where she lived up to her seeding. (Seeded 4)

Eastbourne: defeated by Makarova. First round exit. Wozniacki was drawn to be her SF opponent. (Seeded 2)

Wimbledon: defeated by Serena. Beat Amanuradova, Baltacha, Lepchenko, and Schiavone. Had she lived up to her seeding, she would've faced Azarenka in the SF. (Seeded 4)

OG: defeated by Kirilenko. Beat Bondarenko, Peng, Pennetta. Lived up to her seeding. If Radwanska had made it to the QF, she would've played her here. Sharapova was her SF opponent. (Seeded 6)

Montreal: won. Beat Li, Wozniacki, Paszek, Bartoli, Pervak. Exceeded her seeding for the first tournament. Slated to meet Azarenka in the QF and Sharapova in the SF, but Azarenka withdrew due to injury and Sharapova withdrew due to stomach illness. (Seeded 5)

Cincinnati: defeated by Kerber. Beat Pavlychenkova, Peng, Barthel. Lived up to her seeding. Would've faced Serena in the SF, but Serena was upset by Kerber. (Seeded 4)

New Haven: Won. Exceeded her seeding for the second time. Beat Wozniacki, Errani, Safarova, Gibbs. Would've faced Radwanska in the F, but she pulled out citing a right shoulder injury (Seeded 2)

The general gist is that she was slated to meet Azarenka and Radwanska several times over the course of the year, but she failed to live up to her seeding to even face them. Out of the fourteen tournaments listed above she lived up to her seeding 4 times, and exceeded it twice. That's eight times that she's failed to live up to her seeding. And the times she's lived up to her seeding have mostly come as her seeding drops/tournament draws become weaker.

Petra's year means nothing, relative to those players Synth.

It's all relative. If Petra wins her last match in a tournament does anyone talk about her form earlier?

How bad has Serena, Azarenka and Radwanksa looked in tournaments they've won? Plenty. This is not something exclusive to Petra. It happens all the time. The difference is, Petra hasn't won a GS this year, and lost to Serena and Sharapova 3x in them. So you can't deny the "Petra can Beat Vika and Radwanska" premise (though I can't understand if someone said you can't definitively argue it either).

I'm sure if Petra would of played Azarenka at the Australian, she would of kicked her ass. Radwanska even more so.

Some players just give other players trouble, and vice vcersa make others feel very happy.

I don't see anything that Vika or Radwanka does that would trouble/bother Petra (unless she's having a bad day with Radwanka' junk), compared to let's say Sharapova or Serena.

Neither Radwanska or Vika have a serve. Petra does. So Petra will always have the upper hand, especially if other aspects of her game are clicking.

That's why you can't compare Petra's results with Serena and Sharapova, compared to Azarenka and Radwanksa.

That's apples and oranges. It's not like Petra lost in those majors in the 2nd or third rd. We're talking semi and quarters. She was playing well, but ran into hotter opponents (Serena and Masha at French and Wimby) or bad luck-Masha at the Aussie Open.

Synth
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:57 PM
As much as I want to Excel, I won't believe that Kvitty in anything less than optimal form can kick Azarenka ass on hard courts until I see it.

Kismet
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:04 PM
Just stopping by to say hi. I haven't been on TF in a while simply because emotionally, I'm a little spent. Petra's my favorite player but these losses are just so painful, that I'm not all that enthusiastic about watching the rest of the tournaments. I have tickets to the women's final but I'm afraid that it will be players that I very much dislike (Azarenka/Sharapova vs. Serena/Radwanska) and the excitement just isn't there anymore. I'm trying to stay optimistic though! On the bright side, Petra won two tournaments plus USO Series and is still a top 10 player. She also improved her USO performance from last year, so that's something to be proud of as well. Hopefully she can keep improving and pick up some tournaments in the next few months, and have a good showing at the YEC. She also seems to be managing her asthma and the US climate better. She's truly a gifted player, so right now it just hurts a little to see her getting so close but not quite reaching the finish line in the big tourneys. This might just be a year for learning, and when I put the emotions aside, that's okay with me. Here's hoping for a better 2013.

Anyway, that's just my little comment for now. Keep cheering for Queen Petra!

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:20 PM
As much as I want to Excel, I won't believe that Kvitty in anything less than optimal form can kick Azarenka ass on hard courts until I see it.

Why not?

She beat her on Clay, hardcourts and grass there past 4 matches.

Here's why.

Azarenka doesn't have anything that threatens Petra in the least bit. More importantly, Azarenka knows this as well. That's what you're underestimating.

The reason why Aza beat Masha on hardcourt so easily earlier this year, was because Azarenka plays closer to the baseline than Masha does. Masha doesn't have the greatest hands as far as a fast baseline game and redirecting, and subsequently beat up on Masha.

Petra has the good hands to play the fast baseline game, and the power and variety to blow Azarenka off the court and/or fool her.

Masha beat Petra on slow hard courts on clay, cause Masha coaxed Petra into a power baseline game, where the slowness of court doesn't overwhelm her, till Petra makes errors. On a faster surface like Wimby, Petra blew Masha off the court.

With Radwanks, her junk doesn't bother Petra in the least bit (as Petra has junk herself). And as a matter of fact, Radwanka has an abysmal record against the other top 4 players. So you're really stretching it with her. Lol Honestly, deep down inside, it appears that both Radwanksa and Azarenka know that there outgunned when the others are having a great day. And that's an advantage to Petra.

I'm not saying it's a guarantee. But what I am saying is, Petra would of been HAPPY to face Radwanska and Azarenka during the majors this year (in what you call not playing her best). If/when Petra's playing her best, it really doesn't matter, with maybe the exception of Serena at her best.

But like I said, Neither Radwanksa or Azarenka have serves or power to really bother Petra.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
I know what you mean Synth, and respect your thoughts and imput alot. I do.

But would make a difference to you, if Kerber lost to Errani today, and Radwanksa lost to Vinci?

Does that make their years any worse, beating other players they would normally beat, cause they lost to those two players today?

See what I mean? Good convo though. Thanks.

Petronius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:45 PM
Just stopping by to say hi. I haven't been on TF in a while simply because emotionally, I'm a little spent. Petra's my favorite player but these losses are just so painful, that I'm not all that enthusiastic about watching the rest of the tournaments. I have tickets to the women's final but I'm afraid that it will be players that I very much dislike (Azarenka/Sharapova vs. Serena/Radwanska) and the excitement just isn't there anymore. I'm trying to stay optimistic though! On the bright side, Petra won two tournaments plus USO Series and is still a top 10 player. She also improved her USO performance from last year, so that's something to be proud of as well. Hopefully she can keep improving and pick up some tournaments in the next few months, and have a good showing at the YEC. She also seems to be managing her asthma and the US climate better. She's truly a gifted player, so right now it just hurts a little to see her getting so close but not quite reaching the finish line in the big tourneys. This might just be a year for learning, and when I put the emotions aside, that's okay with me. Here's hoping for a better 2013.

Anyway, that's just my little comment for now. Keep cheering for Queen Petra!

At the Australian Open, she'll be still only 22 years old. More to come from this girl, no doubt.

Synth
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:45 PM
Why not?

She beat her on Clay, hardcourts and grass there past 4 matches.

Here's why.

Azarenka doesn't have anything that threatens Petra in the least bit. More importantly, Azarenka knows this as well. That's what you're underestimating.

The reason why Aza beat Masha on hardcourt so easily earlier this year, was because Azarenka plays closer to the baseline than Masha does. Masha doesn't have the greatest hands as far as a fast baseline game and redirecting, and subsequently beat up on Masha.

Petra has the good hands to play the fast baseline game, and the power and variety to blow Azarenka off the court and/or fool her.

Masha beat Petra on slow hard courts on clay, cause Masha coaxed Petra into a power baseline game, where the slowness of court doesn't overwhelm her, till Petra makes errors. On a faster surface like Wimby, Petra blew Masha off the court.

With Radwanks, her junk doesn't bother Petra in the least bit (as Petra has junk herself). And as a matter of fact, Radwanka has an abysmal record against the other top 4 players. So you're really stretching it with her. Lol Honestly, deep down inside, it appears that both Radwanksa and Azarenka know that there outgunned when the others are having a great day. And that's an advantage to Petra.

I'm not saying it's a guarantee. But what I am saying is, Petra would of been HAPPY to face Radwanska and Azarenka during the majors this year (in what you call not playing her best). If/when Petra's playing her best, it really doesn't matter, with maybe the exception of Serena at her best.

But like I said, Neither Radwanksa or Azarenka have serves or power to really bother Petra.

Because Petra this year hasn't risen to the occasion. I believe that absolutely if Petra plays firing on all cylinder she'll cream Azarenka and Radwanska. But she hasn't been firing on all cylinders and I've run out of excuses. Petra not playing her best this year couldn't get past Kirilenko or Bartoli. And I wouldn't say either of them had anything that threatens Petra. Hell, I don't really even think Maria has anything that threatens Kvitty. The AO was a tough loss, but the FO loss was just bad form, it was foolish of her to play into Maria's game in the first place.

I agree with relation to Radwanska and Azarenka, but they're going to fight till every last point, a la Bartoli, a la Kirilenko, but significantly better versions of them. And Petra wasn't able to close those out.

Regarding Kerber and Radwanska, no, it doesn't diminish their years, but that's because I hold them to a different standard. I hold them to the standard of a top ten player who're having a very good year. I don't hold Petra to the standard of a top ten player. I hold Petra to the standard of the potential of her game. By all normal accounts, absolutely, she's having a great year- she's won titles on NA hardcourts, reached relatively deep at each of the slams, I'm counting the USO 4R. But I think she can do better, and I think she should've done better. And that's why I'm still going to be disappointed. I think Petra has the game to completely dismantle Maria, Azarenka and Radwanska on all surfaces. It's just a question of actualizing it.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:53 PM
Because Petra this year hasn't risen to the occasion. I believe that absolutely if Petra plays firing on all cylinder she'll cream Azarenka and Radwanska. But she hasn't been firing on all cylinders and I've run out of excuses. Petra not playing her best this year couldn't get past Kirilenko or Bartoli. And I wouldn't say either of them had anything that threatens Petra. Hell, I don't really even think Maria has anything that threatens Kvitty. The AO was a tough loss, but the FO loss was just bad form, it was foolish of her to play into Maria's game in the first place.

I agree with relation to Radwanska and Azarenka, but they're going to fight till every last point, a la Bartoli, a la Kirilenko, but significantly better versions of them. And Petra wasn't able to close those out.

Regarding Kerber and Radwanska, no, it doesn't diminish their years, but that's because I hold them to a different standard. I hold them to the standard of a top ten player who're having a very good year. I don't hold Petra to the standard of a top ten player. I hold Petra to the standard of the potential of her game. By all normal accounts, absolutely, she's having a great year- she's won titles on NA hardcourts, reached relatively deep at each of the slams, I'm counting the USO 4R. But I think she can do better, and I think she should've done better. And that's why I'm still going to be disappointed. I think Petra has the game to completely dismantle Maria, Azarenka and Radwanska on all surfaces. It's just a question of actualizing it.

Geesh. I thought I was the only one that noticed how Petra played Maria at the Aussie Open, Stuttgart and the French (form or no form)? :lol:

Well, I can't argue with this (second bolded portion) and even the rest of your post.

You make sense. And I like your passion, feelings, fairness and sincerity. :yeah:

ShiftyFella
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:24 PM
I'm sure if Petra would of played Azarenka at the Australian, she would of kicked her ass. Radwanska even more so.

i don't think so, Vika at AO was in greater shape and was super hungry, just like now she's in best form since AO and hungry to get another slam this year. The reason Petra couldn't past Serena or suffer those silly loses(except to OVA) cause her opponent was hungrier than her, so they never tremble and kept fighting to the end while Petra pulls out typical folding emotional rollercoaster.

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:33 PM
For me the big difference between Petra and the other girls (Azarenka, Serena, Radwanska, Kerber, Sharapova etc.) this year is fitness. Petra is way too far from them in this aspect. Too much focus on serve and return, improving my game blah blah but how about fitness.

I love Petra so much and she really revitalized my love for the game after a few years of sheer boredom, but one thing that bothers me is her lack of attention on fitness. If she were to hire a fitness coach, lose 15 lbs of fat and replace it with muscle, she'd be unstoppable. When you're fit, your feet move quicker, your mind thinks faster, your confidence is higher, your shot selection is more decisive.. everything really falls into place if you're fit. It makes such a huge difference.

Look at Henin and Djokovic. Even Serena. Serena went through a very rough patch in the latter 2000s because she seemed to lose focus on her fitness which resulted in sloppy footwork and unnecessary unforced errors due to the delays of extra baggage and overall lack of commitment.

If Petra ever wants to dominate and be the best, she HAS to focus on her fitness. It's really surprising that her team has not seemed to have gotten the picture yet. There's no excuse for a top female tennis player to be out of shape like that. I play just for fun and I'm constantly hitting the gym multiple times a week to keep my game improving. I don't even make money playing yet I still dedicate my body to the game.

Pok, Petra. Pok.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:52 PM
For me the big difference between Petra and the other girls (Azarenka, Serena, Radwanska, Kerber, Sharapova etc.) this year is fitness. Petra is way too far from them in this aspect. Too much focus on serve and return, improving my game blah blah but how about fitness.

I'm not to sure how good Serena, Kerber and Aga's fittness is this or last year. :oh:

That group is always injured (Aga), plays a grueling style (Aga and Kerber, which breaks them down sometimes) or tired (Serena last year and at times this year).

Serena's fortunate she can half ass her way through matches now due to easy draws and intimidation. Notice when Serena had to fight her way through at majors, she was losing/being upset. So Serena was smart to up her ranking at the "smaller" events she normally eschewed in the past. But Serena always seems to drop out of events during the summer for mysterious reasons. Nonetheless, I thought Stosur beat her down last year, cause she was dead tired (and of course she had the game and will to do so).

You'd have a better argument with Azarenka, Sharapova (and maybe Kerber for her three set victory percentage). But Angie can throw in some stinkers as well.

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:00 PM
I'm not to sure how good Serena, Kerber and Aga's fittness is this or last year. :oh:

That group is always injured (Aga), plays a grueling style (Aga and Kerber, which breaks them down sometimes) or tired (Serena last year and at times this year).

You'd have a better argument with Azarenka, Sharapova (and maybe Kerber for her three set victory percentage). But Angie can throw in some stinkers as well.

I know, but compare to Petra hmmm... I don't like Kerber but I think she is looking good this year(I'm talking about her tennis) cause she decided to improve her fitness, and she even said that. All of them are fitter than Petra right now, no matter of the game style. Petra needs to get fit if she wants to compete with this girls.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:17 PM
I know, but compare to Petra hmmm... I don't like Kerber but I think she is looking good this year(I'm talking about her tennis) cause she decided to improve her fitness, and she even said that. All of them are fitter than Petra right now, no matter of the game style. Petra needs to get fit if she wants to compete with this girls.

See Steni, I try not to speak in stereotypes and generalities.

I just bolded what you said about Kerber. What in the world you think Petra did and said the past few years to become a Grand Slam Champion last year (and semi-finalist two years ago).....? She got fitter of course.

I'm not trying to poo poo what you're saying. Not at all. I just don't see how Kerber, Radwanska or Serena are generally fitter than Petra (the past two years).

Yeah, Petra conditioning was up and down this year, due to various reasons. And of course she can get better and improve all aspects of her game more. But I just don't think you gave your best examples. Serena has to carefully schedule her matches to avoid burn out. Aga's always hurt. And Kerber can get worn down, evidenced by some bad losses.

And in regards to Masha and Vika, they've rested and sat out many tournaments. So their conditioning may not be any better, their just smart enough to sit/claim injuries.

Petra didn't do that this summer, cause she was already behind the 8 ball. Should she had skipped New Haven in retrospect; probably!? But guess what, most of the US Open series players (Petra, Cibulkova, Kerber, Li Na, etc.) are out the US Open as well. So Petra's not alone, and played more tennis than them. :lol:

All we can do now, is look toward the Asian swing and European indoor hard court season.

steni
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:31 PM
See Steni, I try not to speak in stereotypes and generalities.

I just bolded what you said about Kerber. What in the world you think Petra did and said the past few years to become a Grand Slam Champion last year (and semi-finalist two years ago).....? She got fitter of course.

I'm not trying to poo poo what you're saying. Not at all. I just don't see how Kerber, Radwanska or Serena are generally fitter than Petra (the past two years).

Yeah, Petra conditioning was up and down this year, due to various reasons. And of course she can get better and improve all aspects of her game more. But I just don't think you gave your best examples. Serena has to carefully schedule her matches to avoid burn out. Aga's always hurt. And Kerber can get worn down, evidenced by some bad losses.

And in regards to Masha and Vika, they've rested and sat out many tournaments. So their conditioning may not be any better, their just smart enough to sit/claim injuries.

Petra didn't do that this summer, cause she was already behind the 8 ball. Should she had skipped New Haven in retrospect; probably!? But guess what, most of the US Open series players (Petra, Cibulkova, Kerber, Li Na, etc.) are out the US Open as well. So Petra's not alone, and played more tennis than them. :lol:

All we can do now, is look toward the Asian swing and European indoor hard court season.

I still think they are in better shape this year, and probably thanks to better scheduling and luck. We will see what happen in Asia.

Excelscior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:59 PM
I still think they are in better shape this year, and probably thanks to better scheduling and luck. We will see what happen in Asia.

Don't get me wrong Steni.

I'm not saying Petra was in the best shape through May.... No. She couldn't of been (particularly from March to May).

But obviously she turned things around, and went deep into all her US Open series event in the dead summer (albeit with a 4th rd US Open ouster). She should be complimented on her run.

After a three week rest, let's see how she does in the Asian and Indoor swing at the end of the year?

I'm also curious to see how she does at the YEC again if/when she makes it?

Petra was the first person to win the YEC her first year. That just illustrated her talent and ability right there. Many expected a carry over in 2012.

You almost feel like Petra walked away from the responsibility/hype walking into 2012.

Hopefully, she progresses in that department this year (as well as her game, fitness/lack of injury and belief). But it all starts in Asia. And we hope Petra continues to mature as a Tennis player, as she travels the world, since she didn't do it much as a Junior.

Synth
Sep 4th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Petra was the first person to win the YEC her first year. That just illustrated her talent and ability right there. Many expected a carry over in 2012.

You almost feel like Petra walked away from the responsibility/hype walking into 2012.

Hopefully, she progresses in that department this year (as well as her game, fitness/lack of injury and belief). But it all starts in Asia. And we hope Petra continues to mature as a Tennis player, as she travels the world, since she didn't do it much as a Junior.

QFT. She needs to embrace the mantle of a top player and face it head on. Looking forward to the asian swing and seeing how she responds. Hopefully she'll nab another title before the YEC- ideally with a victory over Azarenka/Sharapova/Serena.

mikireturns
Sep 4th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I think 2012 was very much a transitional year for Petra in terms of realizing that she CAN dominate the tour, that she CAN place herself above the rest of the pack (and that includes Serena -- who is awesome but aging nonetheless).

The whole "trip" must have been mentally daunting for Petra, but she certainly made great strides this summer. Yeah ... She has to meet the responsibility of being a potential Hall-of-Fame player head-on. Total fitness. Total fine-tuning of her all-court game. Total hunger for glory. Anything less and she will just fritter-away her greatness.

But I believe Petra has that champion's hunger that comes to only the Greatest Ones. We will see how she copes this Autumn and Winter. I expect big results. My only worry is that sloppy Grand Slam meltdowns will impair her confidence on the big stages.

Let's hope for at least an Australian and Wimbledon title next year. If everything is in working order, those are hers for the taking. Maybe the French, too.

But I believe

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

Excelscior
Sep 4th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I think 2012 was very much a transitional year for Petra in terms of realizing that she CAN dominate the tour, that she CAN place herself above the rest of the pack (and that includes Serena -- who is awesome but aging nonetheless).

The whole "trip" must have been mentally daunting for Petra, but she certainly made great strides this summer. Yeah ... She has to meet the responsibility of being a potential Hall-of-Fame player head-on. Total fitness. Total fine-tuning of her all-court game. Total hunger for glory. Anything less and she will just fritter-away her greatness.

But I believe Petra has that champion's hunger that comes to only the Greatest Ones. We will see how she copes this Autumn and Winter. I expect big results. My only worry is that sloppy Grand Slam meltdowns will impair her confidence on the big stages.

Let's hope for at least an Australian and Wimbledon title next year. If everything is in working order, those are hers for the taking. Maybe the French, too.

But I believe

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

You know if you would of asked me last year, or the beginning of this year, I would of picked Petra to win Wimby, The French, and maybe The Australian in 2012.

Now (after this year), I'm not so sure. Lol.

But it would only make sense, that Petra would do all those crazy things next year. :lol:

However, with out seeing her play a match the rest of this year, mind you next year, I'll keep my humble opinions and predictions to myself until a later time (especially after what I saw Sunday). :lol:

Vikapower
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:07 AM

Nah, Petronius it's cool -- :hug: :lol: You know, your question can be very easily countered, Victoria has played Serena 5 times (2011 + 2012) and another 6th time in the US Open 2012 F -- what would Petra's 2011 year have looked like if Serena hadn't been out for injury and played her best tennis in 2011 ?

Serena is the pretty much the absolute reference on the WTA tour -- I know you're trying to use the fact that Victoria hasn't met Petra to say that Victoria doesn't deserve anything she's done this season (which is false) as an argument of defense and owes Petra all recognition for her success (which is also false) --

In return though, Petra has won everything while Serena being absent --

You see I don't want to be reaching to this stage of disrespecting players work and achievements -- Victoria has faced Serena 6 times in two years and there's no other players she factually needs to meet because Serena is the reference.

Statistically

1. Victoria, top 10 faced 21, top 20 : 10 (w/l 9-1)
2. Sharapova, top 10 faced 15, top 20 : 7 (w/l 6-1)
3. Radwanska, top 10 faced 14, top 20 : 6 (w/l 5-1)
4. Petra, top 10 faced 9, top 20 : 9 (w/l (w/l 7-2)

So if by your definition draw can impact a player's season so then why Petra with significantly less difficult draws doesn't have a better season than Victoria, Maria, Radwanska and Serena ? :shrug:

You see, this is why I don't like these kinds of digs because it's disrespecting player's work and achievements -- Petra has had a pretty good season and if we use your own logic she's made worse than she actually is.

SIDENOTE : You seem to not know the H2h of Serena versus Vika, it's 10-1 (I included tomorrow's defeat).

Victoria is the active player who've met Serena the most over the last 3 years (9 times and counting) and 6 times in 2 years. She's also the active player who've met Serena the most in majors (7 times now) for comparison :

In majors (active/retired)

Venus and Serena have met 12 times
Victoria and Serena have met 7 times
Justine and Serena 7 times.
Capriati and Serena 7 times.
Mauresmo and Serena 6 times
Davenport and Serena 4 times.
Sharapova and Serena 4 times.
Clijsters and Serena 3 times.
Petra and Serena 3 times.

Victoria had not yet even hit her prime that she had already met her 6 times (Including 3 consecutive times in AO alone (2008, 2009, 2010)). Serena has denied her 4 slams, AO 2009/2010, Wimbledon 2012 and US Open 2012

Vikapower
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:20 AM
So I hear what you're saying Vika power. But that' appears like an overreaction and projecting. Different players have different styles, which can garner both different and similar results. Petra may not (or maybe she will) week in week out advance in tournaments like a Radwanska, but still may end up with more points or tournament wins (and more than likely Grand Slams).

True. :yeah:

Well I agree on the game-styles but what we wish is that she consistently gets deep in each and every tournament -- I'm not inventing nothing since this is the standards of the top 4 players this year.

Can't recall what was the last big F where 1 or 2 more players of the big 4 were not participants -- so what's the solution for Petra to actually reach to this kind of level ?

It's very certainly consistency and solidity (= bringing her style closer to the Radws and Vikas, Masha's and etc. top player of this world), she's been working on that because it's obvious as of today 2012, super-risky tennis is a little bit too volatile to actually gather the goods week in and out like the other elite players do. (<-- we're speaking domination right ?)

How would Petra's year had been if she would of played Vika at the Australian (1+ month after Petra beat Vika in the YEC for the 4trh time in a row) and Radwanksa-who she's also whupped up on in the other two majors, instead of Masha and and Serena 3X?

See response to Petronius.

Come on now Vikapower. You can't compare Petra to Julia Georges and the like. Our dissapointment is in Petra not winning majors or P-Mand and P-5 tournaments. Julia Georges and some of those other players you mentioned, can't even get out of the 2nd or third round, mind you win these tournaments.

I know you like those players. But the two (and the like) aren't even remotely close. Geesh! Lol

:lol: Ok that's true I concede, that was a little bit slack from my side. :lol:

Petronius
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Nah, Petronius it's cool -- :hug: :lol: You know, your question can be very easily countered, Victoria has played Serena 5 times (2011 + 2012) and another 6th time in the US Open 2012 F -- what would Petra's 2011 year have looked like if Serena hadn't been out for injury and played her best tennis in 2011 ?

Serena is the pretty much the absolute reference on the WTA tour -- I know you're trying to use the fact that Victoria hasn't met Petra to say that Victoria doesn't deserve anything she's done this season (which is false) as an argument of defense and owes Petra all recognition for her success (which is also false) --

In return though, Petra has won everything while Serena being absent --

You see I don't want to be reaching to this stage of disrespecting players work and achievements -- Victoria has faced Serena 6 times in two years and there's no other players she factually needs to meet because Serena is the reference.

Statistically

1. Victoria, top 10 faced 21, top 20 : 10 (w/l 9-1)
2. Sharapova, top 10 faced 15, top 20 : 7 (w/l 6-1)
3. Radwanska, top 10 faced 14, top 20 : 6 (w/l 5-1)
4. Petra, top 10 faced 9, top 20 : 9 (w/l (w/l 7-2)

So if by your definition draw can impact a player's season so then why Petra with significantly less difficult draws doesn't have a better season than Victoria, Maria, Radwanska and Serena ? :shrug:

You see, this is why I don't like these kinds of digs because it's disrespecting player's work and achievements -- Petra has had a pretty good season and if we use your own logic she's made worse than she actually is.

SIDENOTE : You seem to not know the H2h of Serena versus Vika, it's 10-1 (I included tomorrow's defeat).

Victoria is the active player who've met Serena the most over the last 3 years (9 times and counting) and 6 times in 2 years. She's also the active player who've met Serena the most in majors (7 times now) for comparison :

In majors (active/retired)

Venus and Serena have met 12 times
Victoria and Serena have met 7 times
Justine and Serena 7 times.
Capriati and Serena 7 times.
Mauresmo and Serena 6 times
Davenport and Serena 4 times.
Sharapova and Serena 4 times.
Clijsters and Serena 3 times.
Petra and Serena 3 times.

Victoria had not yet even hit her prime that she had already met her 6 times (Including 3 consecutive times in AO alone (2008, 2009, 2010)). Serena has denied her 4 slams, AO 2009/2010, Wimbledon 2012 and US Open 2012

Agree with you wholeheartedly with the Serena-Petra thing. Petra is not delusional, even her coach knew very well in 2011 that a healthy Serena was still the best female player out there.

No biggie. But it's a pity that Petra haven't had a chance to play Azarenka/Radwanska in a semi this year, drawing Sharpie/Serena instead.

But this 'randomness' factor will always exist.

And I'm not going to argue with any statistics. Petra has shown us during this US season that things can change very quickly, with her US hardcourt record improving drastically year on year.

:cool:

Petronius
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:31 PM
On a side note, Petra has been rarely one of the weakest links in the Czech team at this year's US Open, with other Czech players reaching semis or finals in men's singles, men's doubles and women's doubles. I hope she followed her compatriots' results carefully and will reach at least the semi next year :lol:

EDIT: I forgot that Peschke and Hradecka reached finals and semis respectively in mixed doubles so women's singles was the only fail for the Czech team. Petra :o

Good luck in Asia.