PDA

View Full Version : Petra’s US Open Series Thread (2012 discussion starts on page 29)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Petronius
Aug 13th, 2012, 02:44 PM
BTW, if Lucie didn't choke, Petra-Lucie could have been the first 'big' final between players from the Prostějov tennis club since the Hingis-Novotna Wimbly final in 1997.

steni
Aug 13th, 2012, 02:45 PM
@Steni

Wozniaki had only 4 UE in the first set, and about 5 in the second set (though she only had about 3-5 winners total).

Woz played near error free tennis (compared to Petra's 20+ in the first set alone), during the first two sets.

Wozniaki ended up with 21 UE, cause Petra had broke her spirit, played better, made Wozniaki frustrated, and put constant pressure on her.

Thats why Im surprised, Wozniacki's lost of confidence... I barely watch the first set and I though Petra was done but Im happy with Petra's new attitude, she seems to care about after all.

Excelscior
Aug 13th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Thats why Im surprised, Wozniacki's lost of confidence... I barely watch the first set and I though Petra was done but Im happy with Petra's new attitude, she seems to care about after all.

Woz lost confidence, cause she had now where to go.

Petra was doing everything better than her during the last two sets, including rallying and chasing balls, mind you serving, power, volleying, and touch shots (all which Petra was doing as well).

Trust me, Woz fought/tried like crazy. Lol

Yeah Kvitova lost the first set. But you could see (at least I could), that she was still in control, and obviously Petra realized that and adjusted. It kinda reminded me of the Radwanska match at last years YEC (Knock on wood. I been trying to avoid YEC references and comparisons at this point at all cost-Lol).

During that match, Petra was down 1-5 in the first set. And she eventually won. Afterward, Radwanska said "I never felt in control, even when up 5-1". I'm not sure if Petra was Radwanska/YEC good. But she was playing a "decent/respectable" Petra Level all court game, after her adjustment. Obviously, as you pointed out, Petra needed the will (and obviously felt the confidence in her game) to do so. And she did! Good for her! And we hope it continues.

That leads to your second comment (Petra's "new attitude", and "seems to care" now, etc.). Petra's very unpredictable (so far at this stage of her career). You can't always give up on her, and make absolute/long term comments, even when disappointed.

Like I said; I don't know if it's Petra's "New" attitude (as you stated), as much it's her most current outlook. Hopefully she'll have some more good play, and this will reestablish her confidence and game, going into the second half of the year. That would be nice.

Mynarco
Aug 13th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Is Petra playing coachless this week? It seems like self-coaching has been doing well on her

Excelscior
Aug 13th, 2012, 03:25 PM
@Xepher.

Correct. No coach.

TennisAddict84
Aug 13th, 2012, 06:07 PM
so proud of Petra adjusting after losing the 1st set :bigclap:

woz actually played pretty well that 1st set (for her standards) and kept on getting Petra's penetrating shots back w/ decent depth...but yea, once Petra got more patient and mixed things up, woz had no answers :drool:

also, loved sam smith's comments during this match...completely spot on...She said that Petra's volleys are technically excellent, but that she sometimes gets burned w/ passes because of poor court positioning and net coverage

Sam then remarked: "She can really move forward women's tennis"
and her partner Chris then said: "Yes, she can be the first all court player to win (dominate)"

obviously, he meant the first all court power player since Henin was the last all court player to win multiple slams, but didn't have the natural power

Excelscior
Aug 13th, 2012, 06:34 PM

woz actually played pretty well that 1st set (for her standards) and kept on getting Petra's penetrating shots back w/ decent depth...but yea, once Petra got more patient and mixed things up, woz had no answers :drool:

also, loved sam smith's comments during this match...completely spot on...She said that Petra's volleys are technically excellent, but that she sometimes gets burned w/ passes because of poor court positioning and net coverage

and her partner Chris then said: "Yes, she can be the first all court player to win (dominate)"

obviously, he meant the first a
ll court power player since Henin was the last all court player to win multiple slams, but didn't have the natural power

Yes, that's that anticipation, moving forward, court positioning commitment argument we always talk about with Petra.

Chris and Sam also breathless exclaimed-how easily/athletically Petra moves forward in the service box or towards to the net, when following her shot (almost to say "make a commitment to moving forward and closing off the net more often Petra")!

Obviously, the more confident Petra becomes in her shot making and control, the more she instinctively moves forward. But she should do it to start and during matches, just to throw in a different look, if not end some potential easy points early, even before she warms up.

I agree with the other stuff they said during the match as well. But I think I'll remain quiet, till at least after tonight's match. :lol: :tape: :lol:

Vikapower
Aug 13th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I think that all depends on her performance tomorrow, doesn't? But so far so good.

@Vikapower

Mmmhhh. Ye have little fate, I see (unless you generally like Li Na). Lol That's kool.

And you talk about Petra's first set. Yeah, she made errors. But she also rushed her shots, and you can tell she was still in control, despite the score and the errors. And to Petra's credit, she cleaned it up.

Li Na on the other hand, was near abysmal vs Safarova. And she is lucky Safarova handed her the match, after she went up 5-1. Check Na's errors to winners for the match (something like 22win to 44UE, and she still won). Not very impressive.

I'm guessing, you really didn't see one of, or either match, did you? :lol:

Well I admit I didn't see the match of Li against Safarova -- (I read reports on GM saying that Lucie choked and stuffs like that --). I don't know if Li's level declined or something but we'll see in the F.

I'm not a fan of Li at all, never -- her BBB game isn't my taste at all but she does have pretty rare physical qualities for a WTA player that are really complicated to deal with for anybody. We'll see --

I saw Petra using couple slice backhands in her match against Wozniacki she needs to bring that or other things -- these are typically the types of shots Li struggles with, she needs to keep coming forward too ; Li hates variances and any tactics that disrupts her 'ping-pong's' rhythm.

Petra can blow Li off (watch their first sets) but as seen in their last matches too for whatever reason she can't maintain, then Li raises her level, Petra descends hers and it all ends up in a defeat.

Li reminds me kind of Davydenko on the ATP tour and Davydenko often used to destroy Berdych -- I remember a match Davydenko said (I think it was Madrid 2007 or something) that Berdych's purity of strike was a joy for his style of tennis, the ball always came clean from the 'sweet spot' and very powerful on which he could press with amusement -- I wouldn't bet my life but I have a feeling Li feels pretty much the same way against Petra. Ping-pong tennis that is.

steni
Aug 13th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Can we compare Montreal Petra with Sidney Petra, or is the same player?

steni
Aug 13th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Well I admit I didn't see the match of Li against Safarova -- (I read reports on GM saying that Lucie choked and stuffs like that --). I don't know if Li's level declined or something but we'll see in the F.

I'm not a fan of Li at all, never -- her BBB game isn't my taste at all but she does have pretty rare physical qualities for a WTA player that are really complicated to deal with for anybody. We'll see --

I saw Petra using couple slice backhands in her match against Wozniacki she needs to bring that or other things -- these are typically the types of shots Li struggles with, she needs to keep coming forward too ; Li hates variances and any tactics that disrupts her 'ping-pong's' rhythm.

Petra can blow Li off (watch their first sets) but as seen in their last matches too for whatever reason she can't maintain, then Li raises her level, Petra descends hers and it all ends up in a defeat.

Li reminds me kind of Davydenko on the ATP tour and Davydenko often used to destroy Berdych -- I remember a match Davydenko said (I think it was Madrid 2007 or something) that Berdych's purity of strike was a joy for his style of tennis, the ball always came clean from the 'sweet spot' and very powerful on which he could press with amusement -- I wouldn't bet my life but I have a feeling Li feels pretty much the same way against Petra. Ping-pong tennis that is.

Does Petra has a kick serve? I think this trouble Li Na, its effective for Stosur when she plays against her and it worked for Shvedova! Can this work on the Montreal hardcourt? Do you think Petra has to play with more topspin against a player like Li Na?

Excelscior
Aug 13th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Does Petra has a kick serve? I think this trouble Li Na, its effective for Stosur when she plays against her and it worked for Shvedova! Can this work on the Montreal hardcourt? Do you think Petra has to play with more topspin against a player like Li Na?

Petra does have a kick serve to the deuce court (or some sort of hybrid). And you're right, it does trouble Na with Stosur.

As far as tonight's match, don't worry about what Vika Power wrote (knock on wooden tennis racket). Everybody's entitled to their opinion. Just look forward to and enjoy the match.

As you said, those previous matches don't necessarily even translate.

But the one consistent thread is, Petra dominates. This is either to start, or through out her matches with Li Na. So it's obvious Petra's the one in control. So Petra just needed to close the deal her last two matches with her (as she did the ones before), by keeping her focus and composure.

We look forward to the latest edition.

I'll just leave it at that. But relax, and just enjoy (hopefully :eek: ) the match. :lol:

steni
Aug 13th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Petra does have a kick serve to the deuce court (or some sort of hybrid). And you're right, it does trouble Na with Stosur.

As far as tonight's match, don't worry about what Vika Power wrote (knock on wooden tennis racket). Everybody's entitled to their opinion. Just look forward to and enjoy the match.

As you said, those previous matches don't necessarily even translate.

But the one consistent thread is, Petra dominates. This is either to start, or through out her matches with Li Na. So it's obvious Petra's the one in control. So Petra just needed to close the deal her last two matches with her (as she did the ones before), by keeping her focus and composure.

We look forward to the latest edition.

I'll just leave it at that. But relax, and just enjoy (hopefully :eek: ) the match. :lol:

Hahaha I dont think nobody here can really relax during Petra's matches, the whole match is like a suspense movie. I always enjoy after Petra wins the match!

Excelscior
Aug 13th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Hahaha I dont think nobody here can really relax during Petra's matches, the whole match is like a suspense movie. I always enjoy after Petra wins the match!

I said RELAX, BEFORE the match, not during. :lol:

ArcticMoose
Aug 13th, 2012, 08:33 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1642700101/FEHM4722__4__normal.jpg Katie Spellman ‏@Spellman_Katie (http://twitter.com/Spellman_Katie)

Final warm-up session for @Petra_Kvitova (http://twitter.com/Petra_Kvitova) ahead of the @CoupeRogers (http://twitter.com/CoupeRogers) final against Li Na in Montreal tonight #she (http://twitter.com/search/?q=%23she&src=hash)'s ready

https://p.twimg.com/A0MaZw0CUAA9JkQ.jpg (http://twitter.com/Spellman_Katie/status/235060635447218177/photo/1/large)

obviously, he meant the first all court power player since Henin was the last all court player to win multiple slams, but didn't have the natural power

:DThanks for the reports ;) – even on livescore ….and all those emoticons – you are definitely coming out of your shell…and making your mark as a hack…;)

:pBTW, If Kvitty:angel: takes her 1st North American title today are you going to respond with perhaps an Avi in your profile ? Us Europeans want to know how her fan base in North America gonna respond?:)

TennisAddict84
Aug 13th, 2012, 10:56 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1642700101/FEHM4722__4__normal.jpg Katie Spellman ‏@Spellman_Katie (http://twitter.com/Spellman_Katie)

Final warm-up session for @Petra_Kvitova (http://twitter.com/Petra_Kvitova) ahead of the @CoupeRogers (http://twitter.com/CoupeRogers) final against Li Na in Montreal tonight #she (http://twitter.com/search/?q=%23she&src=hash)'s ready

https://p.twimg.com/A0MaZw0CUAA9JkQ.jpg (http://twitter.com/Spellman_Katie/status/235060635447218177/photo/1/large)

:DThanks for the reports ;) – even on livescore ….and all those emoticons – you are definitely coming out of your shell…and making your mark as a hack…;)

:pBTW, If Kvitty:angel: takes her 1st North American title today are you going to respond with perhaps an Avi in your profile ? Us Europeans want to know how her fan base in North America gonna respond?:)

i'll reserve that for IF she wins USO ;)

cosmoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:34 AM
No coach, first championship in 9 months. :devil:

winnermax
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Although the 2nd set was ridiculous,I'm glad that she finally held the match in the key period.

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Wasn't the best match by Petra (could of served, mixed it up and moved in behind her shots better). But she hung in there and fought, and pressed Li Na in the third set.

Good!

Maybe she should rest now, instead of playing Cinci. But if If know Petra (unless her PR person does), she'll play anyway.

Good to see her hug her PR person. I wonder if she's American (or a Euro, that's spent a lot of time in America)? If so; she could of made Petra more comfortable. Who knows. Lol. But it's/that's a good thing for her.

Mynarco
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:42 AM
only watched the whole final set (and the first 9 games of first set..switched it off because Petra got broken LOL). Li made so many errors and just lost it after losing the crucial game at 2*-3 down. At least she held really comfortably without much trouble. Lots of positives to take away from the performances this week

Really glad Petra turned the whole week round after that dismal match against Pervak. This should be the unexpected title so far :lol:

steni
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:42 AM
Wasn't the best match by Petra (could of served, mixed it up and moved in behind her shots better). But she hung in there and fought, and pressed Li Na in the third set.

Good!

Maybe she should rest now, instead of playing Cinci. But if If know Petra (unless her PR person does), she'll play anyway.

Good to see her hug her PR person. I wonder if she's American (or a Euro, that's spent a lot of time in America)? If so; she could of made Petra more comfortable. Who knows. Lol. But it's/that's a good thing for her.

She is canadian!

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:43 AM
No coach, first championship in 9 months. :devil:

Maybe it forces her to think? On the other hand, maybe it relaxes her, and makes her play more instinctive, instead of trying to remember the game plan. Lastly, it could just be a coincidence, or confluence of events.

I don't know. :lol::lol:

Vikapower
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Well, this was a difficult match ; really thought it was over a 2-6 second set considering also how their last matches had gone but Petra really wanted it more. Good win -- (this should give some grains to mold to people who say Petra should put Kotyza away).

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:44 AM
She is canadian!

Same shit! :) :)

plokploky
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:45 AM
I was emotionally drained after that 1st set when she failed to close it out, so by the end of the match, I was close to tears and wayyyy to nervous. Unbelievably happy though. Almost worth the wait, cause now she's proved she can come back on HC.

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Well, this was a difficult match ; really thought it was over a 2-6 second set considering also how their last matches had gone but Petra really wanted it more. Good win -- (this should give some grains to mold to people who say Petra should put Kotyza away).

Stop making excuses (Petra was obviously taking a siesta), and EAT YOUR WORDS AS YOU PROMISED!!!:eek: :lol: :eek:

Come on now. Acknowledge!! :lol:

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:51 AM
I was emotionally drained after that 1st set when she failed to close it out, so by the end of the match, I was close to tears and wayyyy to nervous. Unbelievably happy though. Almost worth the wait, cause now she's proved she can come back on HC.

Nice post, feelings and reflections.

As far as the bolded portion; did you really think she couldn't (even in "Dreaded North America)? :lol: :eek: :lol:

I didn't. Maybe you were just geuinely happy for her. But Petra's too good for that, no matter how disappointed we may be in her, how bad she plays, or mindless haters want to say she can't play on OHC, NA or what ever nonsense they happen to spew.

We knew better :)

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:52 AM

Good!

Katie Spellman is Canadian & lives in Toronto

pov
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:52 AM
:yeah: Congrats to Kvitova on her first North American title.

Vikapower
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Stop making excuses (Petra was obviously taking a siesta), and EAT YOUR WORDS AS YOU PROMISED!!!:eek: :lol: :eek:

Come on now. Acknowledge!! :lol:

:lol: I have no problems acknowledging I was wrong -- :lol: Yes, I was wrong :angel: it was still a complex match though. :lol: Li played pretty well but Petra just wanted more IMO and that made the huge difference.

From a tennis to tennis perspective though, these 2 players against one another is really something special and unpredictable. :lol:

Sam Smith said "they like to play one another and this like an amusement for them" -- aka to play this fast and the way the balls comes out from their racket. I had said something similar previously in that regards but the difference is Petra has a greater 'champion's' mentality to make THE difference when it counts.

steni
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Now I can go to sleep in peace... Petra drives me nuts, but I love her very much!

Holdsworth
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Congrats, Petra !! :cheer: First title and in... America. Now she has big titles on all four surfaces.:worship:
PS. So.. What about Cinci and New Heaven ?? I think she should withdraw from one of them

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:03 AM
:lol: I have no problems acknowledging I was wrong -- :lol: Yes, I was wrong :angel: it was still a complex match though. :lol: Li played pretty well but Petra just wanted more IMO and that made the huge difference.

From a tennis to tennis perspective though, these 2 players against one another is really something special and unpredictable. :lol:

Sam Smith said "they like to play one another and this like an amusement for them" -- aka to play this fast and the way the balls comes out from their racket. I had said something similar previously in that regards but the difference is Petra has a greater 'champion's' mentality to make THE difference when it counts.

Fair enough. But the only reason why the match went three sets in the first place (besides Petra's siesta), is cause Petra's serve was Awol the first two sets.

And if you also want to quote Sam Smith, she also said many Times, "Petra's the better player", "Petra should win", and "Petra has a higher threshold than Na", and how Petra was "only playing 75%, while she felt Li Na was playing the best she'd ever seen; even better than the French Open". And she still lost. Sam Smith even said (which I agree), that their record was deceiving, cause Petra had won the first set easily, and was leading in the second sets. then lost. In their first match on clay, Petra won 6-3-6-1.

Agree with Sam. I just didn't see how you picked Na so convincingly (despite their recent matches), When Petra blitzed Ni La in all their matches, either in the 1st set or throughout the match. Na herself said, "I was helpless and couldn't do anything", when Petra was blitzing her in Sydney. Her husband/coach saved her, while Petra chose not to use one.

This match was a little different.

It's all good though. Much Love for ya Vika Power.

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:03 AM

:devil: I am one of those Vocal fans who has been calling for Kotyza's head for a long time & there has been a growing number who realise Kotyza needs to be flushed out!!

:devil:Yes!! the First Titlle in North America without her coach proves that we were right:p all along -This settles the argument!! - Kotyza is excess baggage & is not needed anymore in the Kvitty Camp!

steni
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:04 AM
If she withdraws from Cincy, is she losing points?

Rex59
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:08 AM
:devil: I am one of those Vocal fans who has been calling for Kotyza's head for a long time & there has been a growing number who realise Kotyza needs to be flushed out!!

:devil:Yes!! the First Titlle in North America without her coach proves that we were right:p all along -This settles the argument!! - Kotyza is excess baggage & is not needed anymore in the Kvitty Camp!

Well, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on one's point of view, her coach is already in Cincinnati waiting for Petra, for Petra is playing there. However, she may give up her WC for New Haven, especially if she goes deep in Cincy. Yet, she may not, since she did request the WC, which was granted by the tournament "D". We'll see how it unfolds.....

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:11 AM
For the Americans on the board; ESPN 2 on Cable TV is replaying the match now.

You can also watch the Replay on ESPN 3, at anytime, until they get rid of it.

bruce goose
Okay,first to any asswipe mods who pass through: I don't want Na Li to even get injured,let alone die;this is ONLY a dramatic,symbolic representation

Have been waiting on this since the AO loss:devil: and,no offense to you other Petra fans,but I really don't give much of a s--t if YOU like it or not....I just had to get this one out of my system:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0S5SHc82w0

Colonel Na Li,for the crimes inflicted upon the Chinese people by the PRC government that uses you as their poster girl...and for how the WTA propagandizes you in such an obvious,pathetic,blow-jobbing way as they cowardly and selfishly seek to push their product into Asia.....I sentence you to a Premier Final Ass-Whupping:devil:!

Petra: THIS is for my buddy Lucie:mad:.....
Li::eek:
Petra: .....Not yet:devil:..........

Petra: Game's over,Colonel Li!.....

Petra: THIS is for the Lioness fanbase.......You looooooose:fiery:.....

Petra: And THIS is from ME....BANG!:devil::devil::devil:

mikireturns
Well done and huge congrats to my favorite player! Petra held her nerve and composed herself when crunch-time came. Best of all she IMposed herself on Li and took what she wanted -- the Tier 1 Title and a BIG step toward scaring the upcoming field at the US Open.

I think she ought to withdraw from both events and go into the Open with this mindset, but that ain't gonna happen. She'll play one of them.

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:13 AM
:devil: Petra's Trophy Cabinet Thread has disappeared from this Sub Forum:help:

:tape:Anyone know what happened to this thread???:devil:

Holdsworth
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:13 AM
If she withdraws from Cincy, is she losing points?
I don't know but she can lose in the first match like Vika ))

steni
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:15 AM

who is the female commentator?

Petronius
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:17 AM
We have a record, guys. 51 people now viewing the forum. 17 members plus 34 guests.

Could you imagine the fun if all those guests bothered to register :lol:

bruce goose
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:17 AM
:devil: Petra's Trophy Cabinet Thread has disappeared from this Sub Forum:help:

:tape:Anyone know what happened to this thread???:devil:Some idiot,mushroom-smoking Scandinavian whined to the mods to have it combined with the trophy case forums of other Czech players....at least Petra gets to keep the real thing,huh?;)

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:20 AM
who is the female commentator?

Former doubles champion, American Pam Shriver.

Her co host, is Australian Cliff Drysdale.

And the one on the court, is another former doubles player, Renee Stubbs.

TennisAddict84
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:21 AM

yeah, i'm rewatching it in peace now :angel:

Well done and huge congrats to my favorite player! Petra held her nerve and composed herself when crunch-time came. Best of all she IMposed herself on Li and took what she wanted -- the Tier 1 Title and a BIG step toward scaring the upcoming field at the US Open.

I think she ought to withdraw from both events and go into the Open with this mindset, but that ain't gonna happen. She'll play one of them.

i'm still very concerned about kvitty's asthma though...in the 2nd set, she was clearly affected by the humidity, had no energy, and gift wrapped the set to Li, but i'm hoping that this title win will give Petra the confidence that even when she's feeling crappy physically, she can still mentally pull out the win

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:21 AM
We have a record, guys. 51 people now viewing the forum. 17 members plus 34 guests.

Could you imagine the fun if all those guests bothered to register :lol:

They all came to read our reactions, cause many of us probably didn't post on GM. :lol: :lol:

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Some idiot,mushroom-smoking Scandinavian whined to the mods to have it combined with the trophy case forums of other Czech players....at least Petra gets to keep the real thing,huh?;)
:p Norwegian Media reports indicate it was the South American Mafia that held a gun to the mod's head;)

Petronius
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Really glad Petra turned the whole week round after that dismal match against Pervak.

Jet lag + adjustment to new environment & surface.

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:26 AM
They all came to read our reactions, cause many of us probably didn't post on GM. :lol: :lol:

:sobbing::sobbing: Did any of you on livescores thread realise that you were posting so much 'yak yak' that you guys never posted the scores until the very last game of the third set!!!:tape::tape:

Petronius
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:27 AM
:yeah: Congrats to Kvitova on her first North American title.

But that beer belly must go.

Just teasing you :lol:

Petronius
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:30 AM
Now I can go to sleep in peace... Petra drives me nuts, but I love her very much!

Doesn't this apply to many women in general?

Anyway, good night guys, it's 4:30 a.m. in CZ :lol:

Holdsworth
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:31 AM
But that beer belly must go.

It's impossible i think. But she must be at least as at Wimbledon-2011

Vikapower
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:31 AM

Nah, Moose I understand your position -- :lol: I don't think though these 2 actions are really related (winning her first US tourney and her coach being absent) --

Remember Petra somehow won Linz without Kotyza last year when things were pretty going bad with him (her Bf was her coach should I remember correctly) but Petra still kept winning when he was back, the YEC. :shrug:

steni
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:34 AM
yeah, i'm rewatching it in peace now :angel:

i'm still very concerned about kvitty's asthma though...in the 2nd set, she was clearly affected by the humidity, had no energy, and gift wrapped the set to Li, but i'm hoping that this title win will give Petra the confidence that even when she's feeling crappy physically, she can still mentally pull out the win

Me too :)

steni
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Former doubles champion, American Pam Shriver.

Her co host, is Australian Cliff Drysdale.

And the one on the court, is another former doubles player, Renee Stubbs.

Do they like Petra?

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Do they like Petra?

They all recognize her talent (though don't know her game intimately, and always get stuff wrong). But Renee Stubbs, seems to know her game best, though not as well as Sam Smith, Tracy Austin or some other broadcasters do. But Renee certainly knows she can volley and has good feel.

Renee actually just complemented Petra's volleying and feel on the air, saying how good it was technically.

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:47 AM

:bounce: You need to eat your words:sobbing::hysteric: as you promised vikapower;) in a more public way:haha: - (1) In Petra's Facebook site, (2) Petra's Twitter Account:p (3) With marquee posting on GM:) (4) a marquee posting on Petra's Subforum

:help: Anything short of the above will be insulting to KvittyGOAT:worship:

steni
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:53 AM
They all recognize her talent (though don't know her game intimately, and always get stuff wrong). But Renee Stubbs, seems to know her game best, though not nearly as well as Sam Smith, Tracy Austin or some other broadcasters do. But Renee knows she can volley and has good feel.

Renee actually just complemented her volleying and feel on the air.

I guess this apply for all the idiots in GM who like to talk BS about Petra, with the difference that all of them cant recognize her talento!

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:02 AM
I guess this apply for all the idiots in GM who like to talk BS about Petra, with the difference that all of them cant recognize her talento!

Don't worry. They do recognize the talent. Most are just jealous haters, trouble makers, and sometimes idiots trying to get a rise out of you. :lol::lol:

bruce goose
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:05 AM
:p Norwegian Media reports indicate it was the South American Mafia that held a gun to the mod's head;)I'm sure that Scandinavian Socialist/Humanist education is pretty crappy,but I figured that you MIGHT have noticed how we always play the U.S. in regional WC qualifying...so that might be a dead giveaway that we are considered NORTH America...that on top of the fact that we're thousands of miles away from the S.American landmass:silly:

Sometimes the posting here in Petra's realm reminds me of the incoherent nonsense in my EX-fave's forum...but as long as Petra doesn't put out any pathetic,no-effort,40-minute,double-bagel losses,I can live with a couple superficial resemblances:angel:

Lufa
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:07 AM
So much for celebration and rest...:eek:

Under agreement with the WTA, organizers had a private jet waiting at the airport to take the finalists to the next Tour stop in Cincinnati.

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:11 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/imgly_production/5241353/large.jpg
I would have called it the Grey Goose Wild Goose Bruce Goose Chase instead of Game Plan.

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:16 AM
OK guys. Now you can take the next 20 min off or so, to get something to eat or what not, if you're watch the match on ESPN 2 now. The 2nd set just started. Lol

steni
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Don't worry. They do recognize the talent. Most are just jealous haters, trouble makers, and sometimes idiots trying to get a rise out of you. :lol::lol:

I know, and Im really temperamental :fiery:

A question:
I heard Pam Shriver saying in the first set that Petra should go more for the wide lefty serve, but I noticed that it didnt work well today, she missed most of them, there is an explanation for this, for some reason Petra doesn't has too much accuracy with this serve.

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:30 AM
I know, and Im really temperamental :fiery:

A question:
I heard Pam Shriver saying in the first set that Petra should go more for the wide lefty serve, but I noticed that it didnt work well today, she missed most of them, there is an explanation for this, for some reason Petra doesn't has too much accuracy with this serve.

Why do you worry so much? :)

Petra hits that serve all the time (though I will admit, it's not always the easiest, out of all her serves). But she hits it often enough. It's usually the one from the ad court, that the other players just stare at. Remember she's got about 3 wide serves from the ad court. I'm talking about the one half way between the service line and net, as Pam said. Petra can actually it that 2 ways, with a high bounce, or a slice/slide.

But you're not going to serve great all the time, and hit the lines. But she won. So don't worry about it.

If Pam watched Petra more often, she would know about that serve. You gotta remember, this is not Sam Smith covering this match. Not everyone is going to know Petra's game, as well as she does (or keep their mouth shut if the don't). Lol

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:38 AM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1937595861/949615__normal.jpg Petra Kvitova@Petra_Kvitova
A glass with the tournament staff before my flight to Cincy! Thanks so much everyone in Montreal. Proud to win here!
https://p.twimg.com/A0Oh_WSCIAAbJfF.jpg (http://twitter.com/Petra_Kvitova/status/235209715234250753/photo/1/large)

Queen Petra Fan
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:44 AM
:bounce: :worship: Congratulations Petra!!! :worship: :bounce:

Wish I could have seen it but it's great news to wake up to!

I love the way she was able to self-coach herself and make the right adjustments. On the highlight clips it appears her movement was quite good also, and her touch shots. Fantastic!

Hopefully it's just the start of a great end of the year run. Let's hope!

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:45 AM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1642700101/FEHM4722__4__normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/Spellman_Katie)Katie Spellman ‏@Spellman_Katie

No rest for the wicked "@CincyTennis (http://twitter.com/CincyTennis): @Petra_Kvitova (http://twitter.com/Petra_Kvitova) will be doing an ESPN chat tomorrow at 1:30 pm. Here's a link:
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/44861/wta-petra-kvitova … (http://t.co/FcNxaqG6)"

steni
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Why do you worry so much? :)

Petra hits that serve all the time (though I will admit, it's not always the easiest, out of all her serves). But she hits it often enough. It's usually the one from the ad court, that the other players just stare at. Remember she's got about 3 wide serves from the ad court. I'm talking about the one half way between the service line and net, as Pam said. Petra can actually it that 2 ways, with a high bounce, or a slice/slide.

But you're not going to serve great all the time, and hit the lines. But she won. So don't worry about it.

If Pam watched Petra more often, she would know about that serve. You gotta remember, this is not Sam Smith covering this match. Not everyone is going to know Petra's game, as well as she does (or keep their mouth shut if the don't). Lol

I always worried :), if she just could hit that serve with more accuracy, I think she could have a great great advantage.

Is me or Petra struggled with the wide serve from Li Na?

Queen Petra Fan
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:52 AM

Exactly Ex. What they fear the most is Petra getting her head screwed on straight, getting healthy, consistent and in form, because then her matches are on her racquet and there's not much their favorite player can do about it, with the possible exception of Serena.

bruce goose
Aug 14th, 2012, 04:17 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/imgly_production/5241353/large.jpg
I would have called it the Grey Goose Wild Goose Bruce Goose Chase instead of Game Plan.Since I'm not a vodka drinker,I'm unaware of most all brand names and thought you'd made that graphic up 'til I read the small print:lol:.Vodka is strong stuff so maybe you shouldn't drink it with mushrooms,Moose;)

Seriously,though,if you haven't checked it out yet,you might enjoy my fight scene vid with Petra against Colonel Li....Petra wins,of course:cool:

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 04:34 AM
This is a bad result for Ludmila. If she made it to the final and Agatha was there, NID win. Na Li on US hardcourts, NID loss.
:D

Sasja
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Woke up today and saw the good news :D

Congrats Petra on your 1st title of the season :yeah:

Wish I could have watched it :sobbing:

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:53 AM
"The first set was a really big fight - every game was very close. Maybe I was a little bit lucky to win the first set," Kvitova ommented. "She played very well in the second set. She was very aggressive without any mistakes. Between the second and third sets, when I was in the locker room changing my clothes, I knew I had to be the first one to attack the balls and play much faster than in the second set. I also needed a higher first serve percentage."

"I have asthma so I have trouble breathing sometimes, but it wasn't too humid here this week. "It's only a problem in North America, unfortunately, because here it's more humid than Europe or Australia, where it's very hot but not that humid. Humidity is the main problem for me. "But it's great to know I can play well here and it's great I finally won a title this year. I'm so glad it could be here at the Rogers Cup in Montréal."

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 06:03 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1859005862/divamaglo_normal.jpg (https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=Martina)
Martina Navratilova (https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=Martina) @Martina

Congrats to Petra Kvitova for her first title of the year- about time:)

Melange
Aug 14th, 2012, 06:29 AM
"The first set was a really big fight - every game was very close. Maybe I was a little bit lucky to win the first set," Kvitova ommented. "She played very well in the second set. She was very aggressive without any mistakes. Between the second and third sets, when I was in the locker room changing my clothes, I knew I had to be the first one to attack the balls and play much faster than in the second set. I also needed a higher first serve percentage."

"I have asthma so I have trouble breathing sometimes, but it wasn't too humid here this week. "It's only a problem in North America, unfortunately, because here it's more humid than Europe or Australia, where it's very hot but not that humid. Humidity is the main problem for me. "But it's great to know I can play well here and it's great I finally won a title this year. I'm so glad it could be here at the Rogers Cup in Montréal."

Djokovic found a cure for it but her team still has not :wavey:

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 06:45 AM
:D

You would think he would stop making predictions by now. :tape:

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I always worried :), if she just could hit that serve with more accuracy, I think she could
have a great great advantage.
Is me or Petra struggled with the wide serve from Li Na?

That's not an easy serve (the one Pam was talking about). That's why Petra has different ones/variation of it.

But today wasn't a great serving day for Petra. But she served well enough when it counted during the third set. And that is the sign of a true champion.

And I find it quite humorous, that mediocre, talent-less players like Pam Shriver, would critique someone like Petra all match, while not even knowing Petra's game well enough.

Now don't get me wrong Steni. You don't need to be a great player to do broadcasting. But at least show some restraint and let people enjoy the match, if you were a mediocre player, don't know the skillset of the player your critiquing, but nonetheless keep telling us what they can/should do better. Annoying as hell, was all that useless jabbering.

Yes, Na was successful on a good amount wide serves in the deuce court to Petra's backhand. But that's nothing new. Petra won many of those points to. But that's usually the way, when you don't serve hard to have a chance with Petra returning. It's that serve out wide.

Schiavone did it to Petra a lot at Wimbledon. Remember? The danger is, you gonna miss that serve and have a bunch of DF's or second serves that Petra can Tee Off On if/when she's swinging well. So it's always risky.

TennisAddict84
Aug 14th, 2012, 07:20 AM
That's not an easy serve (the one Pam was talking about). That's why Petra has different ones/variation of it.

But today wasn't a great serving day for Petra. But she served well enough when it counted during the third set. And that is the sign of a true champion.

And I find it quite humorous, that a mediocre, talent-less players like Pam Shriver, would critique someone like Petra all match, while not even knowing Petra's game well enough.

Now don't get me wrong. You don't need to be a great player to do broadcasting. But at least show some restraint and let people enjoy the match, if you were a mediocre player, don't know the skillset of the player your critiquing, but nonetheless, keep telling us what they can do better. Annoying, was all that useless jabbering.

Yes, Na was successful on a good amount wide serves in the deuce court to Petra's backhand. But that's nothing new. Petra won many of those points to. But that's usually the way, when you don't serve hard to have a chance with Petra returning. It's that serve out wide.

Schiavone did it to Petra a lot at Wimbledon. Remember? The danger is, you gonna miss that serve and have a bunch of DF's or second serves Petra can Tee Off On if/when she's swinging well.

:lol::lol::lol: I was thinking the same thing

I used to actually like Pam's commentating back in the day, but her commentating in recent years has become :cuckoo::scratch:...must be a result of old age :lol:

used to enjoy MJF commentary also, but she can be very biased towards Serena and Sharapova nowadays...ESPN has really gone down the drain lol

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 07:25 AM

I used to actually like Pam's commentating back in the day, but her commentating in recent years has become :cuckoo::scratch:...must be a result of old age :lol:

used to enjoy MJF commentary also, but she can be very biased towards Serena and Sharapova nowadays...ESPN has really gone down the drain lol

Were you really?

I mean, am I exaggerating (or was she going on and on and on, about a skill/serve that she never had, that Petra does, but Pam is/was unaware of it)? :lol: :confused: :lol:

GoofyDuck
Aug 14th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Very nice to see Petra winning a tournament again. :spit:

This should make a big step to the YEC. :yeah:

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 09:40 AM
You would think he would stop making predictions by now. :tape:
:) She ;)

GoofyDuck
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:11 PM
:) She ;)

Is Corswandt a woman??

Petronius
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:12 PM

To be fair, her coach said that he expects his role be less and less important as Petra matures and grows as a player and person. That's exactly what happened, she singlehandedly beat Wozniacki and Li, who were BOTH coached during the match.

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Is Corswandt a woman??

:D Yes, One of TF's least known facts & I guess best kept secrets ;)

Petronius
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:30 PM
And I find it quite humorous, that mediocre, talent-less players like Pam Shriver, would critique someone like Petra all match, while not even knowing Petra's game well enough.

:lol:

She was an amazing doubles player, although Martina probably carried her.

plokploky
Aug 14th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Nice post, feelings and reflections.

As far as the bolded portion; did you really think she couldn't (even in "Dreaded North America)? :lol: :eek: :lol:

I didn't. Maybe you were just geuinely happy for her. But Petra's too good for that, no matter how disappointed we may be in her, how bad she plays, or mindless haters want to say she can't play on OHC, NA or what ever nonsense they happen to spew.

We knew better :)

Late response now. I know she has the game to win big titles on all types of courts, and I was more referring to the fact that too many people on GM thought she couldn't, mainly woz supporters. But now she has proved them wrong. I was a little worried though, cause I thought she might have forgotten how to win a final after that 9 month drought.

Melange
Aug 14th, 2012, 01:14 PM
To be fair, her coach said that he expects his role be less and less important as Petra matures and grows as a player and person. That's exactly what happened, she singlehandedly beat Wozniacki and Li, who were BOTH coached during the match.

those should be NID matches :facepalm:

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 02:44 PM
:lol:

She was an amazing doubles player, although Martina probably carried her.

I'm talking about as a singles player, where she achieved nothing.

And she was TRULY annoying, and going on and on, all day. Sam Smith and Eurosport, did a much better and informed call (I know, not surprising).

And yes, Martina must of her. :lol:

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Late response now. I know she has the game to win big titles on all types of courts, and I was more referring to the fact that too many people on GM thought she couldn't, mainly woz supporters. But now she has proved them wrong. I was a little worried though, cause I thought she might have forgotten how to win a final after that 9 month drought.

Oh no problem. Late night (for us Petra fans). :lol::lol:

Sometimes you just gotta stay away from GM for a while. And if you do go, sometimes you gotta selectively ready and respond to certain post, otherwise you'll drive your self crazy trying to rationalize with the mindless haters (and protectors of their fave). :lol::lol:

I felt good about her in the finals, and I wasn't worried about not playing in one in 9 mos. And she showed how much she wanted it last night, cause she only had one good service set, during the last one.

So Petra had to spend a good time, on returning, defending, and constructing her points, which she succeeded in, until the good service games in the last set closed it out.

Petra showed that Champion's mentality once more.

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:34 PM

Yeah, ESPN broadcast was sooooo annoying.

Besides Pam's all match jabbering about Petra's "wide serve" in the ad court, they just talked all game about the same memes.

Because none of them knew enough about either players careers or matches (Maybe Renee did, but she wasn't in the booth), all they focused on was their last two matches results, and Li Na winning the first 16 points of the second set in last nights match, as if that was going to mean anything in the third set of last nights match. Silly. :lol:

As Sam Smith pointed out, their head to head was very deceiving (and mind you they had only played 3 matches, up until last night), anyway. Nonetheless, people tried to inexplicably make trends out of that. Did they actually watch the matches (those people)?

Petra had blitzed Li Na 6-3 6-1 at Madrid. And then blitzed her in the first two sets of their next matches, then Li Na came back both mathches, after being down a break in the third set. Mind you, that's only 2 matches. But most importantly, Petra was the one controlling them from the outset. Li Na, even said so herself, stating "there was nothing I could do", until her level dropped", at the French Open and Sydney. Who knows, maybe their on court friendship, had something to do with Petra's last two losses, as well? We know how conflicted she can be sometimes. Maybe she felt bad for Li Na, and thinks (which I'm sure she is) a nice lady. :lol::lol:

Anyway, we had to hear over and over again from Pam and Renee, how Li Na won the last two in 3 sets, and had won the first 16 pts of the 2nd set, despite the fact that Li Na was serving, down 2-5, and Petra was served at 5-3 in the third set of last nights match.

We heard nothing else such as, "how well both were playing in the tournament, career records in finals, who handles pressure better, championship mettle/mentality", etc., to handicap the match or the third set.

At Least Cliffie (Australian Cliff Drysdale) didn't by the hype and said "Kvitova will win, cause she's the one to control the match", at the beginning of the third set.

Whew! At least he could see it, as the other broadcasters who had commented on the match (Sam Smith, Branderman, Brad Gilbert, etc.). :lol::lol:

Deestruction
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Hello everyone my name is Dee, im new here, ive been in MTF(known as Rafarta&Grigorior) for a long time well only since last year :lol: And i decided to give it a try here in TF. I was born, raised and reside in California (Cali :angel: ). Ive been a fan of Petra since 2009 in us open, i thought she had game to excell in the rankings very soon. And now i am very happy my prediction was correct. And some of you guys posts are really amazing. I really appreciate the kindness that is spread around here. :)

steni
Aug 14th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Djokovic found a cure for it but her team still has not :wavey:

Based on what a read in an ESPN article, Djokovic didnt have an asthma problem, his breathing issue was for an imbalance in his digestive system... This article is really interesting, here is the link:

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/8132800/has-novak-djokovic-become-fittest-athlete-ever-espn-magazine

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Hello everyone my name is Dee, im new here, ive been in MTF(known as Rafarta&Grigorior) for a long time well only since last year :lol: And i decided to give it a try here in TF. I was born, raised and reside in California (Cali :angel: ). Ive been a fan of Petra since 2009 in us open, i thought she had game to excell in the rankings very soon. And now i am very happy my prediction was correct. And some of you guys posts are really amazing. I really appreciate the kindness that is spread around here. :)

Welcome Dee! :) As a Kvitty fan, hope you enjoy your time in this sub-forum & also being part of Petra's TF fanbase. Yup, Petra fans are a chilled & level headed friendly bunch. :cool:

Deestruction
Aug 14th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Welcome Dee! :) As a Kvitty fan, hope you enjoy your time in this sub-forum & also being part of Petra's TF fanbase. Yup, Petra fans are a chilled & level headed friendly bunch. :cool:

Thank you so much. :D Yea i will be stopping by alot here. And yes i am very happy for Petra im glad that she has finally won a title, i will watch both semis and finals matches that HowardH posted in the videos thread, because i havent been watch tennis in a while long story :o :lol:. But thank you for the welcome :cool:

steni
Aug 14th, 2012, 04:21 PM

Now don't get me wrong Steni. You don't need to be a great player to do broadcasting. But at least show some restraint and let people enjoy the match, if you were a mediocre player, don't know the skillset of the player your critiquing, but nonetheless keep telling us what they can/should do better. Annoying as hell, was all that useless jabbering.

Schiavone did it to Petra a lot at Wimbledon. Remember? The danger is, you gonna miss that serve and have a bunch of DF's or second serves that Petra can Tee Off On if/when she's swinging well. So it's always risky.

Thats the reason I watched Petra's live matches in mute, so I dont get double angry (with Petra's mistakes and the talking of idiots commentators)

Deestruction
Aug 14th, 2012, 04:49 PM
So Petra vs Barthel this wlll be indeed a very interesting matchup :tape:

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 04:54 PM

Welcome Dee.

How are you!!!

Welcome to Petra's Subforum, under your other Moniker. I noticed some of your post on GM this morning.

It's good you noticed Petra's talent in 09 (while she was much bigger to), and saw it come to fruition. I'm sure that makes you feel good. And makes you look forward in the future, as Petra takes us along on her Tennis journey.

A Hearty Welcome Indeed!!!!

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 04:58 PM
So Petra vs Barthel this wlll be indeed a very interesting matchup :tape:

Yeah, it will be a wipe out either way, or a shitfest with Petra winning.

Hopefully, the day off, Petra's recent play, and low humidity in Cincinati, will give Petra an easy win (if she's not tired or out of it). :lol: :eek: :lol:

The good thing is, if things stay to form, Barthel will make errors, which will give Petra chances, even if she's not at 70%, to pull it out, hopefully.

We'll see?

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Thats the reason I watched Petra's live matches in mute, so I dont get double angry (with Petra's mistakes and the talking of idiots commentators)

Yeah, I think we all know that feeling. :lol:

Petronius
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I was a little worried though, cause I thought she might have forgotten how to win a final after that 9 month drought.

As far as I know, she is 7-1 in WTA finals.

If you count the matches played in the Fed Cup and Hopman Cup finals, she is 10-1 :speakles:

Mynarco
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:07 PM
As far as I know, she is 7-1 in WTA finals.

If you count the matches played in the Fed Cup and Hopman Cup finals, she is 10-1 :speakles:

8-2. She lost to Wickmayer in Linz F and Bartoli in Eastbourne F. And She won Hobart in 2009

Petronius
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I'm talking about as a singles player, where she achieved nothing.

And she was TRULY annoying, and going on and on, all day. Sam Smith and Eurosport, did a much better and informed call (I know, not surprising).

And yes, Martina must of her. :lol:

I see. Actually Martina didn't even need her in some big doubles matches.

In the 1990 US Open Final, she teamed up with Gigi Fernandez and beat Novotna/Sukova, who could have won a calendar grand slam in doubles, had they won the final.

Martina and Gigi denied them.

Petronius
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Anyway, we had to hear over and over again from Pam and Renee, how Li Na won the last two in 3 sets, and had won the first 16 pts of the 2nd set, despite the fact that Li Na was serving, down 2-5, and Petra was served at 5-3 in the third set of last nights match.

BTW, what's your take on this? Mental walkabout, physical exhaustion, breathing problems?

Petra herself said that Li Na played amazing early in the second. But I also saw lots of errors from Petra.

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:22 PM
8-2. She lost to Wickmayer in Linz F and Bartoli in Eastbourne F. And She won Hobart in 2009

Yeah. But who's counting (I knew Petronius was wrong, and the numbers you provided by the way). But who cares. :lol:

8 out of 10 in the WTA finals. Wow!

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:26 PM
BTW, what's your take on this? Mental walkabout, physical exhaustion, breathing problems?

Petra herself said that Li Na played amazing early in the second. But I also saw lots of errors from Petra.

Mental rest/walk about, physical recuperation; preparing for the third set-from late in the 2nd.

I would give Na more credit, if Petra didn't serve ass poor, make so many UE (16), and mishit on ROS so often during that 2nd set.

There were very few rallies, like the rest of the match that set.

I saw it as you.

Petronius
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:27 PM

Great, welcome and have FUN. :D

BTW, the user Queen Petra Fan is also from California :cool:

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Grand Ma Venus, looks like she's about to beat Kirilenko. But I can't even mind, cause Petra won The Rogers Cup, so I gotta let the incredulousness (of the sight of Kirilenko) go. :lol:

Deestruction
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Welcome Dee.

How are you!!!

Welcome to Petra's Subforum, under your other Moniker. I noticed some of your post on GM this morning.

It's good you noticed Petra's talent in 09 (while she was much bigger to), and saw it come to fruition. I'm sure that makes you feel good. And makes you look forward in the future, as Petra takes us along on her Tennis journey.

A Hearty Welcome Indeed!!!!

Thanks for your welcome i really appreciated morely. :hug:

And yea its amazing really to see a girl who is a small town woman and all of a sudden she gets these achievements in one year, it really is truly amazing. Im also very pleased on how she handled the pressure, i wish ana did that:sad:. Ok im not gonna go there but yea really am happy that she has finally won an North american title :D

Yeah, it will be a wipe out either way, or a shitfest with Petra winning.

Hopefully, the day off, Petra's recent play, and low humidity in Cincinati, will give Petra an easy win (if she's not tired or out of it). :lol: :eek: :lol:

The good thing is, if things stay to form, Barthel will make errors, which will give Petra chances, even if she's not at 70%, to pull it out, hopefully.

We'll see?

Yes i agree with you, Barthel can also make some amazing shots, but yes this will be really exciting match i believe i just hope that Petra doesnt pressure herself too much and just take it point by point. :)

Petronius
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:38 PM

Thanks, I suspected that one match was missing, but was lazy to look it up.

Deestruction
Aug 14th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Great, welcome and have FUN. :D

BTW, the user Queen Petra Fan is also from California :cool:
I will :D
Thats awesome :D

TennisAddict84
Aug 14th, 2012, 06:09 PM

Welcome Dee! :) Awsome that you've been following Petra since '09

Mental rest/walk about, physical recuperation; preparing for the third set-from late in the 2nd.

I would give Na more credit, if Petra didn't serve ass poor, make so many UE (16), and mishit on ROS so often during that 2nd set.

There were very few rallies, like the rest of the match that set.

I saw it as you.

Yeah, I just think the 1st set took a lot out of Petra--both mentally and physically. I mean Li Na didn't have to do much in the 2nd set--just had to keep the ball in play since Petra couldn't get a single one in court

TennisAddict84
Aug 14th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Yeah, ESPN broadcast was sooooo annoying.

Besides Pam's all match jabbering about Petra's "wide serve" in the ad court, they just talked all game about the same memes.

Because none of them knew enough about either players careers or matches (Maybe Renee did, but she wasn't in the booth), all they focused on was their last two matches results, and Li Na winning the first 16 points of the second set in last nights match, as if that was going to mean anything in the third set of last nights match. Silly. :lol:

As Sam Smith pointed out, their head to head was very deceiving (and mind you they had only played 3 matches, up until last night), anyway. Nonetheless, people tried to inexplicably make trends out of that. Did they actually watch the matches (those people)?

Petra had blitzed Li Na 6-3 6-1 at Madrid. And then blitzed her in the first two sets of their next matches, then Li Na came back both mathches, after being down a break in the third set. Mind you, that's only 2 matches. But most importantly, Petra was the one controlling them from the outset. Li Na, even said so herself, stating "there was nothing I could do", until her level dropped", at the French Open and Sydney. Who knows, maybe their on court friendship, had something to do with Petra's last two losses, as well? We know how conflicted she can be sometimes. Maybe she felt bad for Li Na, and thinks (which I'm sure she is) a nice lady. :lol::lol:

We heard nothing else such as, "how well both were playing in the tournament, career records in finals, who handles pressure better, championship mettle/mentality", etc., to handicap the match or the third set.

At Least Cliffie (Australian Cliff Drysdale) didn't by the hype and said "Kvitova will win, cause she's the one to control the match", at the beginning of the third set.

Whew! At least he could see it, as the other broadcasters who had commented on the match (Sam Smith, Branderman, Brad Gilbert, etc.). :lol::lol:

Pam just enjoys listening to herself talk :lol:

The ES commentary was quite good. TC isn't bad either w/ Davenport & Navratilova. Although sometimes Navratilova can be pretty inaccurate--like at AO, when she said Azarenka's first serve is usually 110-115 mph :scratch: :lol:

But yea, ESPN has declined considerably--just so biased when it comes to certain players (ie Serena & Sharapova)

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 06:23 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1937595861/949615__normal.jpg Petra Kvitova ‏@Petra_Kvitova (http://twitter.com/Petra_Kvitova)
Thanks to everybody on twitter for your nice messages :) Means a lot to me. Arrived safely in Cincy and reunited with the coach David :)

:devil:

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 06:39 PM
http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1937595861/949615__normal.jpg Petra Kvitova ‏@Petra_Kvitova (http://twitter.com/Petra_Kvitova)
Thanks to everybody on twitter for your nice messages :) Means a lot to me. Arrived safely in Cincy and reunited with the coach David :)

:devil:

:haha: :oh: :haha: (at the Devil Symbol for Kotyza's return).

Now, cue Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (or your favorite or scariest Horror Movie) Music/Score. :eek: :eek:

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 07:20 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1859005862/divamaglo_reasonably_small.jpg (https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1859005862/divamaglo.jpg)
Martina (https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=Martina) @Petra_Kvitova (http://twitter.com/Petra_Kvitova) gratuluji, hrála jsi dobře:) Tak do toho!!!

Translation : congratulations, you played well :) Let's do it!

Melange
Aug 14th, 2012, 07:25 PM
reunited with the coach David

are we supposed to like that

Melange
Aug 14th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Translation : congratulations, you played well Let's do it!

Run away :scared:

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 07:50 PM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1859005862/divamaglo_reasonably_small.jpg (https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/1859005862/divamaglo.jpg)
Martina (https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=Martina) @Petra_Kvitova (http://twitter.com/Petra_Kvitova) gratuluji, hrála jsi dobře:) Tak do toho!!!

Translation : congratulations, you played well :) Let's do it!

Hey Moose.

Did Martina, really say "about time" on her congratulatory Petra Tweet yesterday; or did that come from you? :devil:

Synth
Aug 14th, 2012, 08:44 PM
What is Martina talking about when she says let's do it? Cincinnati Open? US Open Series? US Open? something else? o.o

Can't wait for Petra's R2 match in Cincinnati, but I also want her to get enough rest. lol.

ArcticMoose
Aug 14th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Hey Moose.

Did Martina, really say "about time" on her congratulatory Petra Tweet yesterday; or did that come from you? :devil:

It is Martina's words - I have not changed her tweet in any way!

Deestruction
Aug 14th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Petra and Martina :haha:

Thanks TennisAddict:hug:, yea i really love her game its rare that you find a left hander like her :yeah:

Petronius
Aug 14th, 2012, 09:36 PM
What is Martina talking about when she says let's do it? Cincinnati Open? US Open Series? US Open? something else? o.o

The translation of that Czech bit is a bit tricky, but Martina is basically saying 'Good luck in the future' without referring to any specific event.

Spring Pools
Aug 14th, 2012, 09:50 PM

Can't wait for Petra's R2 match in Cincinnati, but I also want her to get enough rest. lol.

Well considering Petra's figure, I don't think that she means "let's do it" exactly how you mean... :oh:
I think it's more of a let's finish off the year strong

Petronius
Aug 14th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Kvitova is hoping asthma won't flair up
Ticker - Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Former Wimbledon champion, Petra Kvitova, who beat Li Na in last night's Rogers Cup final to win her first title on North American soil, says that the lack of humidity in Montreal was reason why she felt better last week. Kvitova is hoping for repeat performances at Cincinnati and the U.S. Open, but is unsure if her asthma will flare up.
"Montreal wasn't that bad as normal," she said. "[In Cincinnati] it's more humid. I will see how is it going here. I will try my best and try to fight not only with the opponent, but with my asthma also. I think that it's hard to answer this question, because I never know."

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 10:40 PM
@Petronius

I saw that article Petronius. And so far the weather and the forecast for Cincinnati is good and better than Montreal, as far as rain and humidity. And the pollen count is at 6.9 out of 12, currently, in the always tricky Cincinnati area.

I'm sure Petra will find this out, before she keeps it in her head about the humidity there, unless its' the pollen that would bother her. Hopefully not. And I certainly don't want to speculate and look forward to her match tomorrow, or Thurs.

Vikapower
Aug 14th, 2012, 10:40 PM
:bounce: You need to eat your words:sobbing::hysteric: as you promised vikapower;) in a more public way:haha: - (1) In Petra's Facebook site, (2) Petra's Twitter Account:p (3) With marquee posting on GM:) (4) a marquee posting on Petra's Subforum

:help: Anything short of the above will be insulting to KvittyGOAT:worship:

:lol: That's wicked -- :devil:

Excelscior
Aug 14th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Does Petra play tomorrow or Thurs guys?

Do you know/heard?

Not sure how long it takes Cinci to post their schedule. But my common sense says, it'll be tomorrow/Weds when she plays.

And the weather should be good (especially in the morning and the evening). And even if/when it's hot in the afternoon, that should speed up the court. Humidity, low risk of rain and pollen count looks decent as well.

We know Petra's there (from her twitter account, posted an hr ago today).

http://p.twimg.com/A0SU4cZCIAEgV7w.jpg:large

She said, "Hello From Cincy".

Deestruction
Aug 15th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Petra please do good at least do your best, i mean you have to wonder how the hell did she win in the north american soil :sobbing:

And btw i was just watching kvitova vs woz, i know im late, but what i was very impressed about petra is how well she does in long rallies, its amazing how she beat woz in most of the rallies, and those rallies were so grueling too.:eek: Even her footwork is better than woz these days. What really kinda worried me was how woz is not only not winning the long rallies but how quick she wants to end the points all of a sudden, thats kinda unheard of really. But kudos to kvitty for fighting alot in montreal lets just hope that she does her best. Im right now watching the finals of montreal.

pling
Aug 15th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Second on Grandstand :bounce:

So maybe about 1pm local time?

http://assets.usta.com/assets/663/15/Aug15OOP.pdf

Rex59
Aug 15th, 2012, 01:00 AM
OOP for Wednesday:

Thoroughly po'd if Petra's match with Mona is not streamed. Tourney scheduler placed their match on the Grandstand court, in lieu of featuring the match on Centre in prime time, while placing Li's match with the hit-or-miss Cirstea in prime time as the late match after the men's. Who won Montreal? Kvitova should have had the late match on Centre, if anyone.

pling
Aug 15th, 2012, 01:06 AM
OOP for Wednesday:
Thoroughly po'd if Petra's match with Mona is not streamed. Tourney scheduler placed their match on the Grandstand court, in lieu of featuring the match on Centre in prime time, while placing Li's match with the hit-or-miss Cirstea in prime time as the late match after the men's. Who won Montreal? Kvitova should have had the late match on Centre, if anyone.

Us Europeans happy though - the late matches are past our bedtimes :zzz:

All the matches on the main courts seem to at least be streamed, but not all with commentary (if not on telly).

steni
Aug 15th, 2012, 01:14 AM
OOP for Wednesday:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, stupid tournament. Probably Li Na and Cirstea are more popular in the US.

Deestruction
Aug 15th, 2012, 01:41 AM
Yep they are what ashame :mad:

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Well, the Grandstand is a TV court, so it should be streamed.

Raonic's and Sam Querry's matches were on that court today. And I saw both their streams listed, as well as Tennis Channel cut in to both their matches today.

So we'll see?

Speaking about the Grandstand and the other courts in Cinci. I heard the ATP guys on Tennis channel, mention today that the court has a lively bounce. So I hope it doesn't take Petra long to get used to it (or at least use it to her advantage on serve if/when she waits for the rest of her game to come around).

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, stupid tournament. Probably Li Na and Cirstea are more popular in the US.

Why do you always say random stuff like this? :lol: :confused: :lol:

Nobody in the US cares about Li Na, and certainly no one even knows, mind you care about Cirstea. Trust me on that! :lol: Maybe Li Na has some fans in big American Cities, with Chinese populations, but not enough to affect attendance. We found that out loud and clear last year, after she won the French. Shoot! Li N couldn't even fill up the stands in Beijing last year, mind you America. :lol:

To be honest, no WTA player is really a big crowd draw, except maybe a local one. ATP rules the show at most of these tournaments (though the Petra Li Na final in Montreal had a nice crowd, despite the crappy weather all week/weekend).

Now back to Kvitova. How many times was Petra on CC at previous tournaments, when Li Na was shoved on some random court? Plenty. :lol:

So I don't think they treat Petra unfair to Li Na, and certainly not Cirstea (though I could agree that Petra should of been on CC today).

steni
Aug 15th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Why do you always say random stuff like this? :lol: :confused: :lol:

Nobody in the US cares about Li Na, and certainly no one even knows, mind you care about Cirstea. Trust me on that! :lol: Maybe Li Na has some fans in big American Cities, with Chinese populations, but not enough to affect attendance. We found that out clearly, last year, after she won the French. Shoot! Li N couldn't even fill up the stands in Beijing last year. :lol:

To be honest, no WTA player is really a big crowd draw, except maybe a local one. ATP rules the show at most of these tournaments (though the Petra Li Na final in Montreal had a nice crowd, despite the crappy weather all week/weekend).

How many times was Petra on CC at previous tournaments, when Li Na shoved on some random court. Plenty. :lol:

So I don't think they treat Petra unfair to Li Na, and certainly not Cirstea (though I could agree that Petra should of been on CC today).

Well I think they could put Petra to play later or not?

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Well I think they could put Petra to play later or not?

Isn't it perfect for Europe (unless you're here in America) if Petra plays at 2pm EST, US time (which is 7-9pm in Europe)?

My only problem with this match is, it's going to be hot probably (85-90deg F). But Petra's playing a hit and miss player, so should handle it (the heat).

mac47
Aug 15th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Humidity tomorrow around 50%. Should be OK, I'd think. Temperature in the LOW 80s. Good tennis weather.

I will laugh my head off if Kvitty wins the US Open Series. New Haven is ripe for the picking, by the way. No one to fear but Aga and Caro.

mac47
Aug 15th, 2012, 02:20 AM
I'm going to the tournament tomorrow, and will be on Kvitty's court the match before hers in order to secure good seats. I will also bring my camera.

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:02 AM
I'm going to the tournament tomorrow, and will be on Kvitty's court the match before hers in order to secure good seats. I will also bring my camera.

Great Mac.

Enjoy!!

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Humidity tomorrow around 50%. Should be OK, I'd think. Temperature in the LOW 80s. Good tennis weather.

I will laugh my head off if Kvitty wins the US Open Series. New Haven is ripe for the picking, by the way. No one to fear but Aga and Caro.

I think what she does in New Haven, is directly related to what she does in Cincy. :lol:

Stay tuned.

bruce goose
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:23 AM
No surprise that you sissy,pacifist Europeans didn't appreciate the Chuck Norris(Petra) vs. Soon-tek Oh(Li) clip,but the U.S. is such a violent culture that I was SURE there'd be a few Chuck fans there.Yeah,I know that he's a lousy,stone-faced actor,yet some of his action scenes are top notch,and I couldn't think of a better one to represent Petra's retribution for RG and Sydney....even though Petra is FAR more feminine and attractive...as she SHOULD be:lol:

EDIT: Btw,a belated welcome to the new poster named Dee,along with the warning that,although they're nice fellows,don't ever,EVER order anything from the same 'pharmacy' as Moose or Paul

paulmara
Aug 15th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Petra „Right now I´m very tired … I don´t feel fresh, but I hope it will be better tomorrow and I will be ready for the match.“
http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/tenis/128377/zlomila-jsem-sezonu-i-ameriku-raduje-se-kvitova-po-trimfu-v-kanade.html

Petronius
Aug 15th, 2012, 09:17 AM

Have fun.

Petronius
Aug 15th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I will laugh my head off if Kvitty wins the US Open Series.

I'm actually not that surprised. This girl delivers on her promises.

Some good news:

1. Petra's going to Canada without her coach and is determined to break the curse and start playing better in America :D

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Petra „Right now I´m very tired … I don´t fell fresh, but I hope it will be better tomorrow and I will be ready for the match.“
http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/tenis/128377/zlomila-jsem-sezonu-i-ameriku-raduje-se-kvitova-po-trimfu-v-kanade.html

Whew Boy!

Maybe we should temper our enthusiasms? :eek:

Hopefully, she'll be better for the match, and/or Barthel is in error mode, giving Petra short points.

Initially I wanted Petra to drop out of this tournament. But when I realized that she could make hay for the US Open series (she's leading now), and YEC ranking points (she's 5th or 6th), I felt Petra should/can go deep into this tournament, then rest/sit out New Haven (of course some would say, she could of sat out Cinci, won NewHaven, then lead the US Open series, entering the US Open anyway). And Serena looked verrrry shaky last night, by the way. But back to Petra.

Now if she wins or goes deep in this; she has a week to rest.

I guess she/we gotta play this thing by ear?

mac47
Aug 15th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I wonder if she's using "not feeling fresh" in the technical sense of the words, i.e. Jankovic's ailment.

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I wonder if she's using "not feeling fresh" in the technical sense of the words, i.e. Jankovic's ailment.

What's "Jankovic Ailment?" :lol:

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 12:56 PM
PS: Shoot! Petra better take advantage of this good N.American weather, and get her "not so fresh" long tail out there. :lol:

Rex59
Aug 15th, 2012, 01:09 PM
It appears Petra's match with Mona will not be streamed. It's not on the grid for a couple of sites (LiveScoreHunter and Atdhe to name two, both who are pretty good at listing a day's agenda). If this doesn't occur, this will be a disappointment, for I could care less about Aggie's and Li's matches on Centre. Hopefully, tho', this changes ere the match begins, for I am looking forward to this matchup with Barthel.

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 01:27 PM
It appears Petra's match with Mona will not be streamed. It's not on the grid for a couple of sites (LiveScoreHunter and Atdhe to name two, both who are pretty good at listing a day's agenda). If this doesn't occur, this will be a disappointment, for I could care less about Aggie's and Li's matches on Centre. Hopefully, tho', this changes ere the match begins, for I am looking forward to this matchup with Barthel.

Mmmhh.

I hope they add the match. Right now, only the Radwanska match is listed on the site I frequent. And you got some big names on the Grand Stand, including Petra, Wozniaki and V. Willams coming up today.

No other WTA matches are listed, besides Radwanska (including Li Na, who's playing last on CC).

If they don't show the match (which I hope they do), this must be like that American Premier Mandatory (I know this is a Premier 5) BS that happened at Indian Wells and Miami earlier this year, where the first two rds of WTA matches weren't shown. So Who knows?

Hopefully they'll add the matches.

Rex59
Aug 15th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Mmmhh.

I hope they add the match. Right now, only the Radwanska match is listed on the site I frequent. And you got some big names on the Grand Stand, including Petra, Wozniaki and V. Willams coming up today.

No other WTA matches are listed, besides Radwanska (including Li Na, who's playing last on CC).

If they don't show the match (which I hope they do), this must be like that American Premier Mandatory (I know this is a Premier 5) BS that happened at Indian Wells and Miami earlier this year, where the first two rds of WTA matches weren't shown. So Who knows?

Hopefully they'll add the matches.

Well, hopefully, ESPN3 picks up the tab and shows the Grandstand matches at game time. Otherwise, it doesn't appear promising at the moment.

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Well, hopefully, ESPN3 picks up the tab and shows the Grandstand matches at game time. Otherwise, it doesn't appear promising at the moment.

I was wondering the same thing, since TC will be on the air. But who knows? We hope so. But sometimes ESPN 3 just shows ATP matches in these funky scenarios. When they don't, it's the usual brew of C.Court, American, and Roger-Rafa-Novak (and honorary American)-Pova matches. Let's cross our fingers.

Barring our fave websites adding it later, you may want to find a site that shows Eurosport (in case they have it). At worst, click on the Marty fish match at 11am, and hope they keep the feed on into the next match.

Hopefully, this will be all about nothing, and we'll get to SEE our Petra, a good match, and a Kvitova win (hopefully, knock on wooden tennis racket).

Rex59
Aug 15th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I was wondering the same thing, since TC will be on the air. But who knows? We hope so. But sometimes ESPN 3 just shows ATP matches in these funky scenarios. When they don't, it's the usual brew of C.Court, American, and Roger-Rafa-Novak (and honorary American-Pova matches). Let's cross our fingers.

Barring our fave websites adding it later, you may want to find a site that shows Eurosport (in case they have it). At worst, click on the Marty fish match at 11am, and hope they keep the feed on into the next match.

Hopefully, this will be all about nothing, and we'll get to SEE our Petra, a good match, and a Kvitova win (hopefully, knock on wooden tennis racket).

I have 5 sites that I go to for streams in case one or more peter out. Usually, LiveScore' is the most reliable, especially as they will list a day's agenda more than 6-8 hours in advance in their grid. Yet, I haven't a clue as to their place of origin for all of them:lol:. But, you are right in noting that if Mardy's match, which is lst up on Grandstand, is streamed on E'3, then likely Petra's match with Mona will follow. Otherwise, maybe other posters across the pond have access to a stream and link here to accommodate those who don't.

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I have 5 sites that I go to for streams in case one or more peter out. Usually, LiveScore' is the most reliable, especially as they will list a day's agenda more than 6-8 hours in advance in their grid. Yet, I haven't a clue as to their place of origin for all of them:lol:. But, you are right in noting that if Mardy's match, which is lst up on Grandstand, is streamed on E'3, then likely Petra's match with Mona will follow. Otherwise, maybe other posters across the pond have access to a stream and link here to accommodate those who don't.

If it's ESPN in that scenario, they'll probably turn off the Camera, or switch to another American, ATP or Hon. Amer. Sharapova match.

What I suggested, is more likely with the mysterious (:) ) Livescorehunter. :lol: However, I have occasionally, watched ESPN 3, when they had only 1 camera with no broadcaster, and got to see the next match indeed. But it doesn't happen often though. Lol

As usual; we'll see? :lol:

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 15th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Petra win a hardcourt premier title in North America without her coach?:worship:

ArcticMoose
Aug 15th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I'm actually not that surprised. This girl delivers on her promises.
Some good news:
1. Petra's going to Canada without her coach and is determined to break the curse and start playing better in America

:hysteric: Haven't you heard - you're not supposed to sing your own praises!:sobbing:

Rex59
Aug 15th, 2012, 02:59 PM
If it's ESPN in that scenario, they'll probably turn off the Camera, or switch to another American, ATP or Hon. Amer. Sharapova match.

What I suggested, is more likely with the mysterious (:) ) Livescorehunter. :lol: However, I have occasionally, watched ESPN 3, when they had only 1 camera with no broadcaster, and got to see the next match indeed. But it doesn't happen often though. Lol

As usual; we'll see? :lol:

The "no commentator" on streams situation has been happening a lot, lately, primarily on E'3, where I've been watching the Slams this year and other events, if streamed. Began to wonder if ESPN was initiating an austerity program to reduce expenditures for commentators by just broadcasting the match, sans such. At first it was discomforting not to hear commentary but got used to such after finding it a better option to excessive chatter by American commentators covering matches on the telly. For instance, respecting the title match between Petra and Li I had to go to a stream due to the excessive yapping by Pam and Renae Stubbs during the broadcast. Went to a blurry stream on Eurosport to offset such, but returned because the stream on Eurosport became choppy with sporadic freezing, including the denial of my favorite commentators for the ladies in the person of Sam Smith/Jo Durie and the gent, who's name always escapes me. However, E'3's stream is top-notch, HD quality and a nice option during the Slams to watch tennis. Now, that I've gotten used to no commentators, I've adjusted comfortably to this development this year.

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Petra win a hardcourt premier title in North America without her coach?:worship:

So true. :lol:

Though in fairness to Kotyza, after Petra won Linz in 2011 with out him, she followed up with the YEC WITH him as coach (though there was no on court coaching).

Nonetheless, this just goes to show (as many of us have been stating), that the tennis game, movement, mind etc., always lied within 2012 Petra.

Kvitova just needs/needed to tap into it herself. If not (or if she can't do it often, soon or consistent enough), she needs a coach, confidant or consultant that she highly respects, that will make her not only believe in herself more, but expect more from herself every day and tournament she enters the court; through out the year and her career.

Petra needs that type of belief, commitment and consistency (either from her, or someone she respects to prompt her) to truly fulfill her staggering potential.

ArcticMoose
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Petra „Right now I´m very tired … I don´t fell fresh, but I hope it will be better tomorrow and I will be ready for the match.“
:sobbing: Stop making excuses Kvitty :hysteric: - get a shower:), change you clothes:D, immerse your self in an ice bath:angel: & you will be fine!:tape: If Usain Bolt could run the 200m heats & win the Gold Medal even after having won the 100m gold medal, stop complaining kvitty!:lol:

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Yeah whether or not she will achieve all those great results, it's just depends on her whether she wants to do it or not. She no doubt has everything needed (the game, the mentality, the everthing etc.) to win it all.

ElusiveChanteuse
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:04 PM
:sobbing: Stop making excuses Kvitty :hysteric: - get a shower:), change you clothes:D, immerse your self in an ice bath:angel: & you will be fine!:tape: If Usain Bolt could run the 200m heats & win the Gold Medal even after having won the 100m gold medal, stop complaining kvitty!:lol:
:lol: She's no Usain Bolt who can consistently deliver. She needs to shake those fat in her front body first to be fit and with much stamina for longer period. But somehow if she gets slimmer, she doesn't really deliver much.:o

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:05 PM
OK guys (if you haven't written it already); relief!!

Petra vs Barthel is listed, along with some other WTA matches on one of our favorite streaming sites (you know what it is).

Now, I'll check to see what court ESPN 3 is on today, or is it just a broadcast, covering the usual suspects.

pov
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:08 PM
OK guys (if you haven't written it already); relief!!

Petra Barthel is listed, along with some other WTA matches on one of our favorite sites.
:yeah: Excellent!

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:13 PM
ESPN 3 just appears to have a camera, and it's on C. Court, showing the Radwanska match now, with no audio.

So back to our favorite stream sites, after Fish.

Rex59
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:21 PM
:yeah: Excellent!

Indeed!!!!

Petronius
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:37 PM
:hysteric: Haven't you heard - you're not supposed to sing your own praises!:sobbing:

I was praising Petra :shrug:

BTW, she obviously WAS in contact with her coach. He sent her some info and tips on Paszek, Wozniacki and even Li Na.

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:49 PM
The "no commentator" on streams situation has been happening a lot, lately, primarily on E'3, where I've been watching the Slams this year and other events, if streamed. Began to wonder if ESPN was initiating an austerity program to reduce expenditures for commentators by just broadcasting the match, sans such. At first it was discomforting not to hear commentary but got used to such after finding it a better option to excessive chatter by American commentators covering matches on the telly. For instance, respecting the title match between Petra and Li I had to go to a stream due to the excessive yapping by Pam and Renae Stubbs during the broadcast. Went to a blurry stream on Eurosport to offset such, but returned because the stream on Eurosport became choppy with sporadic freezing, including the denial of my favorite commentators for the ladies in the person of Sam Smith/Jo Durie and the gent, who's name always escapes me. However, E'3's stream is top-notch, HD quality and a nice option during the Slams to watch tennis. Now, that I've gotten used to no commentators, I've adjusted comfortably to this development this year.

You said it all (and I mean everything), regarding the stream/Eurosport vs ESPN 3 options. Silence is definitely sometimes better. :lol: :mad: :lol:

I actually watched Eurosport for the recent Li Na vs Petra finals for their broadcasters (as well as superstition, since I had to watch the lead up matches on Eurosport) as well. Then I watched the replays on ESPN 3's beautiful stream (and of course not for their awful, non stop chattering broadcasters).

As far as ESPN 3 Tennis broadcast in general, they have a mixture of the type of streams they broadcast. Sometimes they use the ATP broadcasters, Robbie Koenig, etc., (who are actually work for the ATP, not broadcasters). Sometimes their own; other times just a silent stream. Now when they start official coverage on ESPN TV, then you'll get their broadcasters to cover the matches on ESPN 3 through a simulcast. For the majors, they have their own studio broadcast team for ESPN 3 now.

It all depends on the tournaments, when they start, and the different back end, broadcasting, licensing agreements that are secured.

Deestruction
Aug 15th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Not fresh :scared: :unsure:

ArcticMoose
Aug 15th, 2012, 04:22 PM
BTW, she obviously WAS in contact with her coach. He sent her some info and tips on Paszek, Wozniacki and even Li Na.
Did you read/hear this in the Czech Media? I have not seen this info appear on any Western(English) media channels...

Just when we were begining to appreciate that she did it on her own steam... you had to break the bubble :lol:

pov
Aug 15th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Thanks to Mardy Fish for finishing quickly.

paulmara
Aug 15th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Did you read/hear this in the Czech Media?

http://sport.idnes.cz/kvitova-po-vitezstvi-v-montrealu-dl6-/tenis.aspx?c=A120814_104517_tenis_par

And Kotyza will be her coach for next year. You waste your time.

pov
Aug 15th, 2012, 05:02 PM
In the interest of full disclosure - I want to see Kvitova play well but I'm rooting for Barthel in this match.

cosmoose
Aug 15th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Petra found a way to win today. Very good to see her grind and not give up even under oppressive condition.
Hopefully she has something left in her tank. Otherwise, please withdraw and have some rest :)

cosmoose
Aug 15th, 2012, 07:02 PM
In the interest of full disclosure - I want to see Kvitova play well but I'm rooting for Barthel in this match.
ok. you're forgiven this time. but don't make this a habit! ;)

plokploky
Aug 15th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I'm really happy to see petra wanting to win again. She was pumped from about 1-4 in the first set. Brilliant win for her methinks. In my opinion she should aim to make semis, but at the very least beat peng.

Excelscior
Aug 15th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Petra found a way to win today. Very good to see her grind and not give up even under oppressive condition.
Hopefully she has something left in her tank. Otherwise, please withdraw and have some rest :)

This.

And no problem POV. :lol:

Mynarco
Aug 15th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Uh win eez uh win...I guess.

Holdsworth
Aug 15th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I'm really happy to see petra wanting to win again. .
This.. She is really enjoying to play now.

Deestruction
Aug 15th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Like i said i told you guys that Barthel is a tricky player this player can make petra turn hot and cold quickly:tape:

Thank god she won though but that third set except DF at the end was freakin :happy:

Deestruction
Aug 15th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I do agree that im very impress about Petra on how not only is she in love with competiting again but also shes winning some impressive 3 setters :eek: :bolt:

TennisAddict84
Aug 15th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I do agree that im very impress about Petra on how not only is she in love with competiting again but also shes winning some impressive 3 setters :eek: :bolt:

yeah, I see that hunger in her eyes again that's been absent most of this season

mikireturns
Aug 15th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Super-thrilled with how Petra gritted-out this match. Barthel, if she keeps a brain in her head and stays healthy, has the stuff to be one of the next generation's top players and a potential slam-champ. She's very dangerous. In the early going, I thought Petra might be putting in a "token" performance, ready to throw the match because of the unreal turnaround-time between Montreal and Cincy.

But she showed that, once again, there is a champion's fire in her belly and she is willing to go the distance. I hate to say it, but I hope she withdraws "due to an athsma flare-up" because she is in prime mental condition to really win the Open, and by winning it, I mean she can kick Serena's ass, if she is focused and on fire.

It's the delicate head-dance of the WTA -- withdraw and strategize schedules and momentum. That being said, it would be great to see her face Serena before the Open and get a win -- a good, scary win. I think Serena may know that only Kvitova can hit her off the court in a 100% bloodbath battle. Just don't want Petra to peak too soon, or to lose confidence via a "tired" loss here.

Whatever the case, fasten your seatbelts for the Open, kids ... It's gonna be a bumpy (and awesome) ride.

Destroy them ALL, Petra ;->

steni
Aug 15th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Super-thrilled with how Petra gritted-out this match. Barthel, if she keeps a brain in her head and stays healthy, has the stuff to be one of the next generation's top players and a potential slam-champ. She's very dangerous. In the early going, I thought Petra might be putting in a "token" performance, ready to throw the match because of the unreal turnaround-time between Montreal and Cincy.

But she showed that, once again, there is a champion's fire in her belly and she is willing to go the distance. I hate to say it, but I hope she withdraws "due to an athsma flare-up" because she is in prime mental condition to really win the Open, and by winning it, I mean she can kick Serena's ass, if she is focused and on fire.

It's the delicate head-dance of the WTA -- withdraw and strategize schedules and momentum. That being said, it would be great to see her face Serena before the Open and get a win -- a good, scary win. I think Serena may know that only Kvitova can hit her off the court in a 100% bloodbath battle. Just don't want Petra to peak too soon, or to lose confidence via a "tired" loss here.

Whatever the case, fasten your seatbelts for the Open, kids ... It's gonna be a bumpy (and awesome) ride.

Would be great if Petra beats her, but how?

Spring Pools
Aug 15th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Lol according to Facebook, Petra beat Barthelova today.

TennisAddict84
Aug 15th, 2012, 08:40 PM

:lol: love this. well stated.

mac47
Aug 15th, 2012, 09:30 PM
What's "Jankovic Ailment?" :lol:

A monthly punctuation mark.

mac47
Aug 15th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I had a good time at the tournament. Enjoyed getting to see Petra for an extra set. She did not look comfortable or happy with her game for the first five games, but ultimately, it was a lioness vs a cheetah, and the lioness had more power.

Barthel's legs are incredibly lithe and fit. Both girls have got some hormone things going on, I think. Petra's using hers to grow bigger boobs, and Mona's using hers to grow acne.

I took lots of pictures, including of the 3 Czech ladies + Goerges who were playing doubles. Hradecka looks so fit and impressive in person. Saw her on the practice court not half an hour after she won in doubles. Hlavackova is gorgeous.

I'll post pics later. Lost my lens cap under the bleachers.

Spring Pools
Aug 15th, 2012, 09:38 PM
A monthly punctuation mark.

I thought it was a complete and utter inability to play tennis.

Petronius
Aug 15th, 2012, 11:03 PM
and by winning it, I mean she can kick Serena's ass, if she is focused and on fire.

Had to disagree with this. Serena's command of her own service games is still untouchable and vastly superior to that of Petra.

Excelsior often likes to say that 'Petra won the ground game', but the serve is an integral part of the game. As long as the tennis rules allow for TWO serve attempts, goat servers like Serena will have big edge and will continue to prevail even with a slightly worse groundgame than their opponents.

Petra is too often down 0-30 or even 0-40 on her service games and still has occasional mental walkabouts, compared to Serena, who is 8 years older and is more mature.

I think Serena would win and maybe even in straight sets, unless Petra delivers a flawless serving performance.

JMHO

Petronius
Aug 15th, 2012, 11:06 PM
And Kotyza will be her coach for next year.

Source/link ?

18majors
Aug 15th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Had to disagree with this. Serena's command of her own service games is still untouchable and vastly superior to that of Petra.

Excelsior often likes to say that 'Petra won the ground game', but the serve is an integral part of the game. As long as the tennis rules allow for TWO serve attempts, goat servers like Serena will have big edge and will continue to prevail even with a slightly worse groundgame than their opponents.

Petra is too often down 0-30 or even 0-40 on her service games and still has occasional mental walkabouts, compared to Serena, who is 8 years older and is more mature.

I think Serena would win and maybe even in straight sets, unless Petra delivers a flawless serving performance.

JMHO

Can't think of anyone better to beat Serena than Petra or Maria. It has to be Petra since Maria hasn't been able to do it in her last 9 tries.

Petronius
Aug 15th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Lol according to Facebook, Petra beat Barthelova today.

In the Czech language, all female surnames (except for Chinese/Korean ones) are written with 'ova' or 'a' endings. It may sound strange to foreigners, but it's more natural for Czech speakers and it's instantly recognizable that the person is a woman.

Spring Pools
Aug 16th, 2012, 12:15 AM
In the Czech language, all female surnames (except for Chinese/Korean ones) are written with 'ova' or 'a' endings. It may sound strange to foreigners, but it's more natural for Czech speakers and it's instantly recognizable that the person is a woman.

Yeah that's what I assumed. Just found it funny.
As for the best Czechified last name? I'm nominating Lertcheewakarnova!

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 12:54 AM

JMHO

Very good, well reasoned points Petronius. I can't vigorously argue those. No No No.

However I will like to add these caveats (assuming Petra's not tired and fit enough to give a great effort).

1) This is not grass you know. Serena's serve is much more effective on grass; while still very effective of course. :lol:

2) Serena has played a lot of tennis.

3) Did you see her first match? She was unimpressive, and her opponent even more so. At least Barthel is quite Dangerous.

4) We don't know what Serena's fitness is at this point in the season.

5) Petra should have more confidence to hang onto her service games now, that she won Montreal and beat a very dangerous Barthel, when she was tired and down a set. But I do agree with you, her service games have been too loose to this point.

So I'm not guaranteeing Petra will make it quarters or win. I'm just saying, I don't think it's a slam dunk that Serena will win this tournament, or beat a inform (big question of course) Petra here.

But I've been impressed with the way Kvitova's moving, defending, and going from defense to offense in Montreal, and in today's match. It's almost Circa 2011-ish.

Now she just needs to get her serve sorted out, so she can serve well an entire match, and not just in spurts/key service games.

Ultimately, I think Petra can be very dangerous at the Open (even if she loses here), especially if she get's in at least one more match (which is Peng. If she wins, she faces probably Serena in the quarters). Tough ask; yes.

I for one hopes that the ITF/USTA places Serena and Petra in separate halves for a change. This way, we can get possibly the two best, inform players?

Deestruction
Aug 16th, 2012, 01:02 AM
You are gonna have to find a miracle to stop Serena's serve. Thats like trying to return Davenport's serve when shes on :tape:

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 01:07 AM
You are gonna have to find a miracle to stop Serena's serve. Thats like trying to return Davenport's serve when shes on :tape:

Unless Serena's on; she's do for some stinker matches or service games, me thinks. :lol:

But like Petronius said, Petra may have to hold onto her serve and wait for a tiebreaker or Serena hiccups.

And the way Petra's been serving, she would have to step up her consistency and concentration big time with her serve (needs to get more first serves in consistently through out matches, and up her 2nd serve back to near first serve-ish/2011-ish levels).

Deestruction
Aug 16th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Yea i agree, Petra seriously needs to work on that second serve, shes as worst as Vee Vee on second serve :spit:

TennisAddict84
Aug 16th, 2012, 01:32 AM
So Petra's scheduled on court 9 tomorrow after Kerber/Hlavackova (11 am start). Is court 9 a tv court?

steni
Aug 16th, 2012, 01:40 AM
So Petra's scheduled on court 9 tomorrow after Kerber/Hlavackova (11 am start). Is court 9 a tv court?

booo another f*** match in the day and on court 9? If Li Na wins tonight, she is gonna play again a night match on center court, seriously, wtf is going on?

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 01:43 AM

How do you go from the Grand Stand to court 9?

I haven't looked at any schedule, but I would think the only two TV courts are CC and the Grand Stand, if my memory serves me correctly.

We'll see?

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 01:44 AM
booo another f*** match in the day and on court 9? If Li Na wins tonight, she is gonna play again a night match on center court, seriously, wtf is going on?

Yeah, how could they play her first up in the morning tomorrow, after she obviously labored during her match today.

Petra needed to argue with the tournament organizers or the WTA regarding her morning start, after playing in the afternoon today.

I wonder if she thought about that, even?

SMH

Deestruction
Aug 16th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Its nothing new, they dont think Petra is worthy of a high class court :rolleyes:

steni
Aug 16th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Yeah, how could they play her first up in the morning tomorrow, after she obviously labored during her match today.

Petra needed to argue with the tournament organizers or the WTA regarding her morning start, after playing in the afternoon today.

I wonder if she thought about that, even?

SMH

See something is going on, and you didn't believe me. She should get her ass out this stupid tournament and go to New Heaven, she already saved the points.

I twitted my complain to those idiots... grrrrrrrr

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 01:58 AM
See something is going on, and you didn't believe me. She should get her ass out this stupid tournament and go to New Heaven, she already saved the points.

I twitted my complain to those idiots... grrrrrrrr

The only good thing with the 11am start is, it's not as hot. Maybe Petra would rather play first up in the morning, than play at night tomorrow, then have to bounce back the next day.

But of course, Petra could only do that A(decide to play 11am), if she was feeling well.

The match with Peng appears to be tough (based off of their Olympic match), long match. But I'm hoping, Petra can win some easier points-by serving better, going after Peng's second serve, and moving in to close off points-now that she's got some matches/won a tournament under her belt.

steni
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:00 AM
The only good thing with the 11am start is, it's not as hot. Maybe Petra would rather play first up in the morning, than play at night tomorrow, then have to bounce back the next day.

But of course, Petra could only do that, if she was feeling well.

The match with Peng appears to be tough (based off of their Olympic match). But I'm hoping, Petra can win some easier points-by serving better, going after her second serve, and moving in to close off points, now that she's got some matches/won a tournament under her belt.

I heard ugly Peng was serving well against Vinci, but Petra isn't the Italian so like you said, lets hope for a decent serving day!

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:04 AM
I heard ugly Peng was serving well against Vinci, but Petra isn't the Italian so like you said, lets hope for a decent serving day!

Yeah, this can be an easier match for Petra, cause she doesn't have to worry about Peng's weapons, the way she would Barthel, and go after Peng more.

Petra just needs to pick her spots to attack, and not gift Peng points, cause she feel she's a pusher, she doesn't have to fear.

TennisAddict84
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:06 AM
ugh...lame, lame, lame...i really wish she was on a tv court tomorrow!!

Deestruction
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Imo Peng is a pretty solid server when shes on and a good volleyer too. :unsure:

Deestruction
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:11 AM

3 words!!!! AMERICAN MEDIA STINKS!!!!! :mad:

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:11 AM

I cant wait to see the schedule to see why Petra's on court 9, unless she wanted an 11am match-couldn't get 11am Grand Stand and Center starts for whatever reason, and the 1st night match courts weren't available.

steni
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Yeah, this can be an easier match for Petra, cause she doesn't have to worry about Peng's weapons, the way she would Barthel, and go after Peng more.

Petra just needs to pick her spots to attack, and not gift Peng points, cause she feel she's a pusher, she doesn't have to fear.

Is Peng a pusher like Wozniacki? For sure she is gonna try to keep the ball in play and wait for mistakes like everybody else, but I got the feeling this can be messy :(

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Is Peng a pusher like Wozniacki? For sure she is gonna try to keep the ball in play and wait for mistakes like everybody else, but I got the feeling this can be messy :(

Oh yeah. It can be messy indeed.

Peng can be really tough and a pain in the ass, indeed. But she's mostly a baseliner, powergrinder type-like Petkovic.

But if Petra is confident, feeling good and playing well, she can dismantle Peng as well.

The reason why, is cause Petra should have chances to step in and take the ball out the air, cause Peng would rather hug the baseline, than step into the mid or front court (and she doesn't hit as consistently hard as Li Na or Mona).

Now of course, this can all go hell in handbasket for Petra as well; not knowing how she's feeling tomorrow.

steni
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Oh yeah. It can be messy indeed.

Peng can be really tough and a pain in the ass, indeed. But she's mostly a baseliner, powergrinder type-like Petkovic.

But if Petra is confident, feeling good and playing well, she can dismantle Peng as well.

The reason why, is cause Petra should have chances to step in and take the ball out the air, cause Peng would rather hug the baseline, than step into the mid or front court (and she doesn't hit as consistently hard as Li Na or Mona).

Now of course, this can all go hell in handbasket for Petra as well; not knowing how she's feeling tomorrow.

Yuck...

Petra has a nice draw until the semis I think, if she wants to go deep here, she is gonna fight like I havent see her in a while, but if she lose I wont be that mad, she needs some rest!

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Yuck...

Petra has a nice draw until the semis I think, if she wants to go deep here, she is gonna fight like I havent see her in a while, but if she lose I wont be that mad, she needs some rest!

So you're saying it would be Peng, then Woz, then Serena in the semi's if they all win their matches? I thought Petra was scheduled to play Serena in the quarters, if they both made it that far (I hope not, and I'm not sure)?

Yes, those first two will make Petra work, unless her serve (and hopefully her return) is on through out the match, indeed.

Win or lose, at least you get your moneys worth with Serena (if you stay on the court). And if you don't, she'll blow you off it, or self destruct rather quickly with mistakes.

Those first two are pest though, who will keep you on, and extend the points/rallies, as long as they can!

And yes, I did see Williams and Petra at opposite ends of the draw half.

cosmoose
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Petra on court 9 sucks donkey balls! :fiery:

Mynarco
Aug 16th, 2012, 03:26 AM
I don't think C9 is streamed.

bruce goose
Aug 16th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Could be WAYYYY off base here,but I suspect that Petra originally didn't expect to reach the moron-scheduled:rolleyes: Monday RC final...and thought that she'd have more time to rest between RC and Cincy and,when her deep run took that anticipated rest time away,Petra:angel: was too polite to lie and back out with some fake or heavily exaggerated injury

cosmoose
Aug 16th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Montreal winner gets to play during the heat of the day under the glaring sun.
Meanwhile, Montreal loser gets two night matches.

What am i missing here? :confused:

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Montreal winner gets to play during the heat of the day under the glaring sun.
Meanwhile, Montreal loser gets two night matches.

What am i missing here? :confused:

Believe it or not, Lindsay Davenport (who called the Li Na vs Cirstea match with a male broadcast partner) said the 2nd night, CC slot is sloppy seconds.

She said most of the top players must of rejected it, cause she said no one likes to be the second night match, then have to turn around and play the next day. She said players only like/do that, when they have the next day off.

And Petra's match is at 11am. So the first hour (hopefully) shouldn't be so bad.

pling
Aug 16th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Believe it or not, Lindsay Davenport (who called the Li Na vs Cirstea match with a male broadcast partner) said the 2nd night, CC slot is sloppy seconds.

She said most of the top players must of rejected it, cause she said no one likes to be the second night match, then have to turn around and play the next day. She said players only like/do that, when they have the next day off.

And Petra's match is at 11am. So the first hour (hopefully) shouldn't be so bad.

Good point. I'd been thinking that maybe it had something to do with selling TV rights to China (as a night match would be morning there) - but if the players have some choice then avoiding a very late night is sensible.

On the positive side, Petra's untelevised matches have tended to be smooth wins recently - maybe she decides to add more drama when she knows we're watching :D

Petronius
Aug 16th, 2012, 10:55 AM
LOL, maybe the best option would be to use again that tennis radio channel one had to rely on in spring during the Indian Wells/Miami.
But they don't have it scheduled, so Livescore is the only choice left.

Synth
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:04 PM
So you're saying it would be Peng, then Woz, then Serena in the semi's if they all win their matches? I thought Petra was scheduled to play Serena in the quarters, if they both made it that far (I hope not, and I'm not sure)?

Yes, those first two will make Petra work, unless her serve (and hopefully her return) is on through out the match, indeed.

Win or lose, at least you get your moneys worth with Serena (if you stay on the court). And if you don't, she'll blow you off it, or self destruct rather quickly with mistakes.

Those first two are pest though, who will keep you on, and extend the points/rallies, as long as they can!

If Petra is focused and healthy, she should blast Woz and Peng off the court (See: Wimbledon 2010, YEC 2011). The only reason that Petra has to work is because she lets them into the match, there was no way the Olympic match should've gone to three sets, except for Petra's poor play. I'd be a lot more concerned if either of them had any semblance of power a la Li, Clijsters, Kerber, or Jankovic at her prime. She should be blasting winners left and right in the next two matches.

Though knowing Kvitty, Petra's probably going to make both of these messy messy matches. Oy vey.

Vikapower
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Mona was a though cookie -- intriguing match up I unfortunately missed yesterday ; I knew this match could have gone either way like always between high-risk players. Mona seemed to have been in the driver's seat for long but her choking is really of help though against top players lol, she always kinds of delivers top 5 performance against the best to lose steam in the moments that really counts lol -- some reading here and there and she was happy letting Petra some more couple rounds in Cincinatti. Her record against top players must be atrocious, probably something like 0-7 or 0-8, that doesn't help for confidence either --

Peng will be a difficult encounter -- Peng isn't a total pusher/retriever like Wozniacki, she's an aggressive counter-puncher probably closer to Kerb's. Peng if she plays her best well yes it'll be a good test for Petra's consistency and regularity I suppose ; we'll see about that

Petronius
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:08 PM
BTW, anyone knows where one of our friends is hiding now ?

i know she will be irrelevant for the rest of the year, maybe another SF somewhere at best if the draw favors her

:oh:

Deestruction
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I agree with this Vikapower. Peng is no joke when shes on. Just like Barthel.

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Good point. I'd been thinking that maybe it had something to do with selling TV rights to China (as a night match would be morning there) - but if the players have some choice then avoiding a very late night is sensible.

On the positive side, Petra's untelevised matches have tended to be smooth wins recently - maybe she decides to add more drama when she knows we're watching :D

Yeah, I was thinking Li Na and China in the morning to (good for her and the Chinese fans, even though, it probably was rejected by the top players, as Lindsay said).

Lindsay did point out though, that the players have less say in the Grand Slams, compared to non-Grand Slam tournaments, when and where they play.

I didn't check the weather report for the morning there, but in past days, the morning is usually not so bad (heat wise) if you can get off the court quickly.

Hopefully, she can/will, with a win (knock on wooden tennis racket). :)

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:21 PM

You know certain posters always disappear or argue against their alleged fave (not you TimeyWimey), when they win against their "guaranteed, emphatic" predictions to the contrary. :oh:

But let's be humble here, and wish Petra and all her fans good cheer today. :)

Synth
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I mean, Peng's a decent player- but have you guys seen Peng's W/L record this year?

http://espn.go.com/tennis/player/results/_/id/213/peng-shuai

It's absolutely terrible. The only noteworthy player she's beaten all year is Bartoli, and maybe Paszek- and that was on clay! Anyway, I have my fingers crossed that Petra makes short work of Peng today, no need to stay out in the heat longer than necessary.

steni
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Even if ugly Peng is a "threat" and blah blah, this match is on Petri's raquet

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:28 PM
@Synth

We (and Petra) shouldn't take anyone lightly, especially when we have to watch this damn thing on Livescore, and not have a true feel for the match (unless it takes a wild swing in either direction), placing us in possible fits. :lol:

Then we must take into account, Petra's possible attitude (maybe it's 100% positive, maybe she's still internally complaining/fighting with herself, coming from Montreal), that could add to the mix, along with Peng's potential determination to win, after a close match with Petra at the Olympics?

Hopefully, Petra's feel good and positive, and rolls her (knock on wooden tennis racket again), especially if she serves well.

But I hate these Livescore matches. :lol:

We'll see?

Synth
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:44 PM
@Synth

We (and Petra) shouldn't take anyone lightly, especially when we have to watch this damn thing on Livescore, and not have a true feel for the match (unless it takes a wild swing in either direction), placing us in possible fits. :lol:

Then we must take into account, Petra's possible attitude (maybe it's 100% positive, maybe she's still internally complaining/fighting with herself, coming from Montreal), that could add to the mix, along with Peng's potential determination to win, after a close match with Petra at the Olympics?

Hopefully, Petra's feel good and positive, and rolls her (knock on wooden tennis racket again), especially if she serves well.

But I hate these Livescore matches. :lol:

We'll see?

I agree. If there's anything Petra's shown us it's that she's capable of being an error machine on any given day. So she can't really take anyone lightly. I'm just bringing up the point that if Petra shows up at 80-90%, she'll steamroll through Peng. Anything less than that and it's going to a messy drawn out affair.

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I agree. If there's anything Petra's shown us it's that she's capable of being an error machine on any given day. So she can't really take anyone lightly. I'm just bringing up the point that if Petra shows up at 80-90%, she'll steamroll through Peng. Anything less than that and it's going to a messy drawn out affair.

Agreed! :yeah:

Deestruction
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Look what happened to Ana in Carlsbad last year against Peng, she almost lost and she got lucky after that retirement. I remember that match very well it wasnt pretty at all. So anything can happen :tape:

ArcticMoose
Aug 16th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Mona was a though cookie -- intriguing match up I unfortunately missed yesterday ; I knew this match could have gone either way like always between high-risk players. Mona seemed to have been in the driver's seat for long but her choking is really of help though against top players lol, she always kinds of delivers top 5 performance against the best to lose steam in the moments that really counts lol -- some reading here and there and she was happy letting Petra some more couple rounds in Cincinatti. Her record against top players must be atrocious, probably something like 0-7 or 0-8, that doesn't help for confidence either --

Peng will be a difficult encounter -- Peng isn't a total pusher/retriever like Wozniacki, she's an aggressive counter-puncher probably closer to Kerb's. Peng if she plays her best well yes it'll be a good test for Petra's consistency and regularity I suppose ; we'll see about that
Oh Vikapower BTW, Petra’s PR manager Katie Spellman wants you to get in touch with her to organise posting your “eat my words” apology on Petra’s Facebook website & twitter feed. Here are her contact details for you to get in touch

Katie Spellman
@Spellman_Katie
Work in tennis, live in Toronto
Toronto · http://www.wtatennis. (http://www.wtatennis.com/) com (http://www.wtatennis.com/)

Petronius
Aug 16th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Even if ugly Peng is a "threat" and blah blah, this match is on Petri's raquet

This phrase 'the match is on someone's racquet' sometimes leads to funny disputes in the GM section. Everyone usually says the match is on my fave's racquet, trying to make other people's fave look irrelevant :lol:

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Petra is now the second match up on Court 9, and will have to play in the HOT AZZ SUN again guy/gals.

For the life of me, I can't see why they placed Kerber vs Hlavackova (sorry Petronius) at 11a, unless Petra wanted the extra rest vs the extra Sun.

You can't fault the other 3 11am starts 0n CC, GrandSlam and Court 3, that include American's, and Troiki vs Delpotro. But nobody cares about Kerber and Hlavackova except in Germany and the Czech Republic.

Vikapower
Aug 16th, 2012, 03:07 PM

JMHO

Have to agree with this. To "kick arse" better start by minding your own buisiness which is your service games. Ain't nobody even peak Petra kicking arse on Serena's service games. :lol:

That said, grass is grass and grass favors serve -- on hard-court surfaces (slower ones), her serve isn't going to be as scary good and will be much more returnable -- unfortunately Cincinnati's surface (Deco II) is one of the fastest out there kind of similar to Standord so if Serena peaks this going to be another serve demonstration like many others she did this season on fast courts = no chance for anybody. Wishful thinking, ifs and should isn't going to change anything sadly. :zzz:

Petra relies as much as most WTA players on her ground-game, Serena prevents any of this kind of circus with her serve and return game --

Petra could serve as well as possible, indeed but Serena in return is very well capable of hitting only aces and service winners in the tie-break for 10 000 years until Petra cracks. Petra's serve not being as great as Serena's, her opponent will always certainly have a little sneak in one of her service game to get the point to end the tie with one of another ace or service winner. Boring.

Someone spoke about Davenport, Lindsay IMO had even a greater serve than Petra and she was struggling to win even matches against Rena, H2h is 12-4 of something to me -- you gotta have very good defensive returning skills like in ATP tennis to touch her serve, there's not a single WTA player who has that skill unfortunately or you simply must have incredibly fast reaction skills and hands, attributes of generally very short players like Ferrer or Jie Zheng even Justine.

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 03:18 PM

Why do you continue to comment and make reflections on matches, with out caveat, that you haven't seen (unless telling us that you haven't seen it is your caveat). We love you Vikapower. :lol:

Petra should of won that match in straight sets, if she would of just got her serve and return game better in the first set.

Yes, Mona is VERY dangerous. And I like her game. I really do. But I never felt that Petra didn't have control of the match, or the match wasn't in her hands (minus a couple of potential/budding scares, here and there-that didn't materialize).

This wasn't like those Vika matches, where Mona took control of the match during most or several stretches (just check the stats; Mona 22w 44?UE, Petra 29w 30UE). Not at all. And that match total includes a first set, where Petra must of had 2W and 17UE's. So think about what she did the last two sets to get to that total she had.

They both played poorly in stretches, and they both played well in stretches. But Petra was in most of Mona's service games the entire match, so it was a matter of time before she won.

Obviously, Petra was still recovering from her championship from Montreal 2 days previously, and she gets credit for hanging in there, after blowing the first set the way she did in the hot ass sun (though Mona won it 6-3, Petra went on a late set run, and had a chance to break Mona and be back on serve). Nonetheless, her good play led into the second set, and eventually won her the match.

ArcticMoose
Aug 16th, 2012, 03:24 PM

You know certain posters always disappear or argue against their alleged fave (not you TimeyWimey), when they win against their "guaranteed, emphatic" predictions to the contrary. :oh:

But let's be humble here, and wish Petra and all her fans good cheer today. :)

:oh:..................... :tape::happy::rolls:
Normally I wouldn't dignify these provocations with an answer, but I simply can't sit by and do nothing when a bunch of late bandwagoners accuses me of not being a proper fan or whatever. So I suggest that you crawl back to that l00ny bin you've turned Hello Kvitty into with your nonstop chatter and inane ramblings and stop wasting GM space.
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=22035275&postcount=128

:hysteric::sobbing::haha::hysteric::sobbing::haha: :hysteric::sobbing::haha:

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 03:27 PM

I know, right! :confused: :haha: :help: :haha: ::confused:

And the irony is (and I knew she would say this/that), no one ever said she wasn't a "FAN" of Petra. Not at all.

But there's a higher/different Calling for a select few.

Obviously, for some of us, being right and hearing our selves talk, carries more importance than our allegiance for a particular player or any clear minded perspective on a match, it's eventual outcome and winner. :oh:

TennisAddict84
Aug 16th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Have to agree with this. To "kick arse" better start by minding your own buisiness which is your service games. Ain't nobody even peak Petra kicking arse on Serena's service games. :lol:

That said, grass is grass and grass favors serve -- on hard-court surfaces (slower ones), her serve isn't going to be as scary good and will be much more returnable -- unfortunately Cincinnati's surface (Deco II) is one of the fastest out there kind of similar to Standord so if Serena peaks this going to be another serve demonstration like many others she did this season on fast courts = no chance for anybody. Wishful thinking, ifs and should isn't going to change anything sadly. :zzz:

Petra relies as much as most WTA players on her ground-game, Serena prevents any of this kind of circus with her serve and return game --

Petra could serve as well as possible, indeed but Serena in return is very well capable of hitting only aces and service winners in the tie-break for 10 000 years until Petra cracks. Petra's serve not being as great as Serena's, her opponent will always certainly have a little sneak in one of her service game to get the point to end the tie with one of another ace or service winner. Boring.

Someone spoke about Davenport, Lindsay IMO had even a greater serve than Petra and she was struggling to win even matches against Rena, H2h is 12-4 of something to me -- you gotta have very good defensive returning skills like in ATP tennis to touch her serve, there's not a single WTA player who has that skill unfortunately or you simply must have incredibly fast reaction skills and hands, attributes of generally very short players like Ferrer or Jie Zheng even Justine.

Completely agree with this. Petra actually does possess the chip & slice return, but more often times than not, she can't execute it that well, sending the ROS out or short on the court. Would love to see her develop this more successfully during the off season.

But yea, as others have commented, Petra's serve seems to be less potent this season. She has such a solid service motion, there's no reason why she shouldn't get more speed in her 1st serve considering how much power she can generate. Petra should really have easier service games and get more aces & unreturnables. Sometimes, it just looks like she presses too much on her serve instead of just letting it flow freely. Anyway, I know Petra mentioned that her serve is definitely something her & Kotyza are working to improve on. Hopefully, she'll have adequate time during the off season. Would like to see Petra's 1st serve consistently hitting the lines at an avg 110-115 mph :drool:

TennisAddict84
Aug 16th, 2012, 03:54 PM

lol speaking of GM, omg...so much hate/emphasis on Petra and her supposedly "lack of fitness" and being "out of shape"...i mean for someone sooo out of shape, she sure has looked in Montreal and her match yesterday chasing down balls and transitioning from defense to offense :D

but seriously though, i don't think it's that bad considering she's been injured so frequently this season and hasn't had adequate time to fully train...i mean Petra's still looking to optimize her fitness level...and her footwork so far IMO has looked A LOT better since the olympics

man, if and when Petra peaks on all levels and aspects of her game, the rest of the field better run and hide in their corners :lol:

can you imagine, a FAST, consistently clean ball striking Petra? :hearts: :drool:

mac47
Aug 16th, 2012, 03:56 PM
They both played poorly in stretches, and they both played well in stretches. But Petra was in most of Mona's service games the entire match, so it was a matter of time before she won.

I'm not sure if you remember the Petra-Pova matches at AO and Stuttgart, but they're proof that Petra being "in most of her opponent's service games" does not necessarily translate into a win.

mac47
Aug 16th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I'm hoping someone can boil that 90 minute video of the Barthel match down into 10 minutes of highlights. There were a couple of shots where I thought there was no way Petra could lug her boobs fast enough to get a racquet on a Barthel shot, and she not only got to it, but hit a screaming winner with a running forehand,

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I'm not sure if you remember the Petra-Pova matches at AO and Stuttgart, but they're proof that Petra being "in most of her opponent's service games" does not necessarily translate into a win.

Absolutely true and spot on.

But the difference is, Barthel is far more error prone this year than Sharapova, and this is coming off of Petra winning Montreal-where she had to obviously break numerous people in order to win it.

Excelscior
Aug 16th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I'm hoping someone can boil that 90 minute video of the Barthel match down into 10 minutes of highlights. There were a couple of shots where I thought there was no way Petra could lug her boobs fast enough to get a racquet on a Barthel shot, and she not only got to it, but hit a screaming winner with a running forehand,

Yeah, I remember some of those shots to. :)

TennisAddict84
Aug 16th, 2012, 04:09 PM

:lol: :lol: the commentator on ES actually said that Petra's "deceptively fast"

Petra's movement reminds me of Del Potro...you think that there's no way they're gonna get to a particular shot, but then not only do they get to it, but they send the ball back w/ interest.

ArcticMoose
Aug 16th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Hey Folks,

Reaching out to all Posters who frequent/visit Petra’s sub-forum for some graphics/design skill/capability to manage one of the threads in her sub-forum called “ Petra Kvitova’s Trophy Case”

This thread was created just after Petra’s Subforum was created & she won the Wimbledon Title.

The OP has now changed his mind that he does not like Petra any longer and has deleted the thread he created. Below is his message:

I won't run the trophies thread anymore, as I don't like her anymore. :awww:

But here is that graphic so it doesn't get lost :)

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/4772/73127842.png

So if any of you with such graphics/design skills could help Petra’s subforum out with this task – your assistance will be greatly appreciated. The thread would only require maintenance whenever Petra wins a title or award….

Thanks.

PS: I come from the Oil & Gas industry & hence am out of my depth when it comes to the creative industry…I’m posting this message on multiple threads as some of you guys don’t read all threads…