PDA

View Full Version : Can this be right???

Mark43
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:16 AM
According to Yahoo/Tennis....

By KEN PETERS
AP Sports Writer
November 6, 2002

LOS ANGELES (AP) --The opening singles matches during the afternoon drew fewer than 200 spectators to Staples Center, which seats some 20,000.

How could that be? I am completely shocked.

Jarrett
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:17 AM
check out the other fifty threads about this. ;)

lizchris
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:18 AM
I am not surprised. Look who was playing!

Crazy Canuck
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:19 AM
Oh I've already cracked several comments after reading this.

Did I mention that Damm and Suk draw a bigger crowd?

Oh I'm sorry, I did say that - about 6 times :D

GoDominique
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:19 AM
I'm also shocked at these numbers. The average number we were estimating here on the board was 10. ;)

Crazy Canuck
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:21 AM
Look who is playing?

Um, gee - 2 top tenners who have both (one currently is) been in the top 5, a fellow American, and a former top ten player.

I hate this, but sometimes it is required: :rolleyes:

Jarrett
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:21 AM
lol they must have used mirrors to make it look like 200. Or maybe they were including the players, WTA staff and consession stand workers.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:22 AM
I find it really offensive how people keep referring to Kim, Justine, Chanda, and Elena as if they are big nobodies, and attempting to use that as an excuse to justify the small crowds.

There IS not excuse, other than the fact that the crowds are pathetic.

All 4 of them are great players, 3 of them fairly accomplished.

Nov 7th, 2002, 01:22 AM
They need to move the tournament to Australia :p

GoDominique
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:23 AM
No, back to Munich, please. Or rather Hamburg. :drool:

calabar
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:23 AM
I saw the first match on TV and it did look like about 200 people in the stands. I can only attribute that paltry showing to the fact that it was in the middle of the work day. And people in LA do have real jobs.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:26 AM
People in other countries don't have real jobs though.

We discussed this in another thread.

ONLY people in LA have jobs.

All hail the working people in LA. The rest of the world is unemployed and smiles upon you :D

Gowza
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:29 AM
perhaps the reason why henin and dementieva played so badly because there was so few spectators watching them. they would be used to thousands watching them and then 200 turn up. maybe then felt unwanted, unliked and all in all un popular.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Yes, I'm sure a night session with Venus, Monica, Lindsay, and Patty - will draw more than today's day session did.

REgardless, it doesn't change the poor attendance for today - nobody knew the outcomes of the matches before sitting down, so that doesn't work as an excuse.

You can call me anything you'd like btw, as long as I know you are adressing me it's all good ;)

calabar
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:30 AM
Rebecca/Becca, it doesn't take much to set you off, does it? Calm down, its only an opinion.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:31 AM
btw - I really don't care that much that attendance was so low. I just find it SO hilarious that the attendance is as bad (worse?) than in Germany last year (based on one session, this could change of course) - when last year there were threads going on and on about how the Germans don't deserve a tournament blah blah.

They got quite biting, some of them.

So well, it kind of looks good ;)

Jarrett
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by joy
Notice, how ESPN didn't even stay with the Henin-DEmentieva match? switched it over to ESPN2- maybe, they noticed ratings also were not high!

They switched because they time allocated on ESPN was up to they bumped it over to ESPN 2.

Originally posted by Rebecca
People in other countries don't have real jobs though.

We discussed this in another thread.

ONLY people in LA have jobs.

All hail the working people in LA. The rest of the world is unemployed and smiles upon you :D

Actually, Australians have jobs, but we're willing to fake a sickie to go to a sporting event...let's face it, the Melbourne Cup (horse race, for those of you who don't know) is a public holiday!

Crazy Canuck
calabar - calm down? You somehow missed the dripping sarcasm, and mistook it for irriation :D

I'm just pointing out the obvious- as others have already done.

Um hello, people in LA aren't the only ones with jobs :p

Nov 7th, 2002, 01:34 AM
calabar - calm down? You somehow missed the dripping sarcasm, and mistook it for irriation :D

I'm just pointing out the obvious- as others have already done.

Um hello, people in LA aren't the only ones with jobs :p

I got the "dripping sarcasm"...just to let you know that someone did...and I frequently enjoy it

GoDominique
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:34 AM
So what would be an acceptable attendance for the night matches ?

It SHOULD be almost sold out IMO, because of Venus and Monica vs. Lindsay.

But somehow I have a feeling that this won't be the case.

Nov 7th, 2002, 01:35 AM
If it was in Melbourne it would have sold out months ago. Most of the pre-sold Australian Open tickets sold out within 2 hours

Mark43
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:04 AM
OMIGHAD!!! it's totally empty.
Jeez.

marsha
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by untitled2284
If it was in Melbourne it would have sold out months ago. Most of the pre-sold Australian Open tickets sold out within 2 hours

I'm sorry, but I have to doubt your assertion that in Melbourne this would have been a sellout. You can't begin to compare this tournament to a Grand Slam -- the Grand Slams are *events* (and, though it hate to admit it, it matters to some people that men play at the Grand Slams as well :p ) -- the first days at the US Open were blessed with *huge* crowds (I was even wishing there were *less* people there; I couldn't get those good front seats at my beloved outer courts).

I do think, however, that NYC is a far superior choice to LA for this event -- New Yorkers are more *flexible* in that NYC is a 24 hour city ("the city that never sleeps", as the famous Kander/Ebb song says). I also think, perhaps somewhat biasedly, that Miami would be an excellent choice.

Monique
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:22 AM
ok, attendance is awful, but maybe the fact that it is being allocated great TV exposure and sponsorship returns might be enough to keep the WTA management happy...:confused:

Miami would have been a great choice, and so would Brussels...:angel:

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:26 AM
evening session is no better
you can still count the fans :o

Roseie
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:35 AM
It should have stayed in NEW YORK.
I think they'll be back, I really don't know why the hell they moved.

Dawn Marie
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:39 AM
Agreed New York was the best atmosphere. Also come on the schedule was wacky, Henin and Elena are not that big of draws for 35.00 to 50.00 seats. Why go if you can watch it on T.V?

joao
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Maybe they should revise their ticket prices!!!!!!! I didn't go bc of the price! When you include flight plus hotel, it's way too expensive for average people like me with average salaries!! Who wants to watch a match alone in the stands anyway???

Gonzo Hates Me!
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:47 AM
I find it really offensive how people keep referring to Kim, Justine, Chanda, and Elena as if they are big nobodies, and attempting to use that as an excuse to justify the small crowds.

There IS not excuse, other than the fact that the crowds are pathetic.

All 4 of them are great players, 3 of them fairly accomplished.

They aren't nobodies to us 'cause we're the real deal tennis fans. But the community is not big enough. They are nobodies to everyone else. When people find out I love tennis and ask me who my favorite is, I start off with, "Umm, you probably don't know them, but..." They're usually expecting me to say Andre Agassi or some clueless, fake shit. People just want to attend the matches where they can actually name the player

...That's not fair to me! LOL!

JustinSteffi
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:52 AM
You are right about the ticket prices.. I live no more than 20 mins from Staples and the prices are keeping me away! The decent seats for the beginning sessions are 80 bucks! It costs 20 dollars to park too. I am sorry but I am not going to spend 100 dollars to see 2 matches when I can see them free on ESPN... It is a real shame

JJH

Hurley
Nov 7th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Errr....let's be honest, day sessions at MSG were never stellar either.