PDA

View Full Version : Anna Kournikova cheering team..

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

TartarVicario
Jul 3rd, 2004, 09:55 PM
Yes,thanks but I think we've already spoiled Anna cheering thread :ignore: :rolleyes:

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2004, 11:51 AM
- Anna Kournikova prepares to lead the attack for the Kansas City Explorers in the Western Conference. She will make her WTT debut on Tuesday, July 6, as the Kansas City Explorers visit the New York Sportimes at Harbor Island Park in Mamaroneck, N.Y. She will play in Schenectady on Thursday, July 8, in Hartford on Friday, July 9 and in Kansas City on Saturday, July 10.

Now's the time to talk about Sharapova, and her fugly support team, in your interviews.

KV
Jul 4th, 2004, 05:16 PM
GL, it's not that far from Queens, I guess. Maybe you could watch Anna's match as a spectator.

goldenlox
Jul 4th, 2004, 05:18 PM
I don't know where Mamaroneck is. I'll bet Anna's never been there before.

ys
Jul 6th, 2004, 01:48 AM
I don't know where Mamaroneck is. I'll bet Anna's never been there before.
Right north from NYC.

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 01:50 AM
I should mapquest it. But I know I'm not going there.

goldenlox
Jul 6th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Anna plays WTT tonight.
I have to say something about Nick, because Sharapova is on the Sports Illustrated cover this week.
That's 2 Russian girls who play tennis, from Nick's academy. Both made the S.I. cover.
And he was able to create such a media friendly situation, that people in the U.S. treat them like Americans.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Anna only played doubles in Mamaroneck. She plays WTT 3 more times.

Ted Watts
Jul 7th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Good luck to Anna!

Goldenlox seems like a bitch. I don't like her.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 04:18 AM
I'm a dear. Now get lost.

Ted Watts
Jul 7th, 2004, 04:19 AM
My forum, toots.

You may leave if you like.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 04:21 AM
I didn't realize it was your forum. My mistake.

Ted Watts
Jul 7th, 2004, 04:22 AM
Please show respect to elder posters, that you copied. Thanks.

Go Anna.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Okay AMMONIA.

Ted Watts
Jul 7th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Ma'am, my name is Ted Watts.

I officiate fairly in tennis matches with pretty girls.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Do they both have to be pretty?

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 01:05 PM
From Russia with love
By HAROLD GUTMANN
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: July 7, 2004)

MAMARONECK — Before the modeling contracts and the celebrity boyfriends, Anna Kournikova was just a tennis phenom from Moscow. Though injuries, and some would say apathy, have kept Kournikova from being a mainstay on the tour in recent years, her love of the sport brought one of the world's most recognizable faces to Mamaroneck to play last night.

As a member of the Kansas City Explorers in World TeamTennis, Kournikova came to Harbor Island Stadium for the Sportimes' home opener.

WTT features five sets — one each of men's and women's singles, men's and women's doubles and mixed doubles. Kournikova teamed with Silvija Talaja in women's doubles for a 5-3 win and closed out the night with a 5-4 loss in mixed doubles to the Sportimes' Bea Bielik and Hermes Gamonal.

The Sportimes (1-1), who moved to Harbor Island last year from the Hamptons, won 22-19 in front of 1,732 at the 2,038-seat stadium. The Chilean Gamonal won all three of his sets.

While Kournikova smiled throughout the match — whether hitting a reflex winner at the net or seeing her overhead smash sail long — her future as a player is very much in doubt. She is using her four WTT matches this week to test the back injuries that have hampered her tennis career and had kept her from playing a competitive match since the spring of 2003.

"Being here is a chance for me to see where I stand," Kournikova said. "I'll always play tennis just because I love it. I don't have to do anything — I just do whatever I love."

As a 16-year-old in 1997, Kournikova reached the semifinals in her Wimbledon debut, an accomplishment only Chris Evert had achieved in the Open Era. While Kournikova was the first in her generation from Russia to explode on the tennis scene, the countrywomen who followed her have achieved remarkable success.

Russians hold eight of the top 32 spots in this week's WTA rankings and claimed the last two major championships. First was the all-Russian French Open final between 22-year-olds Anastasia Myskina and Elena Dementieva, which resulted in Myskina becoming the first Russian to win a Grand Slam singles title. Next came Maria Sharapova, the 17-year-old Wimbledon champion with the looks to match Kournikova and the singles hardware to trump her.

"I just happened to start playing (on tour) earlier because I'm a little older," Kournikova said. "Russia has always had great athletes, and now there's just so many more opportunities — you're allowed to travel, there's more tennis courts. Tennis was always popular; it was just an expensive sport to play. Many people couldn't afford it, but now it's more accessible."

All the fan-friendly aspects of WTT were on display last night — multiple giveaways, music between points, no-advantage sets played to five games and the Sportimes' furry green mascot, "Tennis the Menace." Kournikova even stayed after the match to sign autographs for kids 16 and under.

"I thought it was great to see such excellent tennis locally," said Larchmont resident Nancy Dyer, who has a season pass. "(Anna) was fun to watch, very entertaining, very charismatic, and she's a beautiful woman."

Mamaroneck resident Alan Borst concurred.

"It was a very enjoyable evening," he said. "I think Anna played very competitively, and the home team won."

But Kournikova's future isn't the only question up in the air. Spectators flocked to Harbor Island for last year's team debut, which featured a main event of John McEnroe vs. Boris Becker, then attendance was cut in half as the marquee players left. Will the community support be more steady this season, or will it be as fleeting as Kournikova's appearances on the court?

An early indication will come tonight: The Hartford FoxForce, featuring Mardy Fish, a member of the U.S. Davis Cup team, will take on the Sportimes at 7:30.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Here's an article that says Anna is coming back -

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/sports/capenative4.htm

BREWSTER - Ryan Macaulay's "is this really happening?" moment came outside a chic Los Angeles sushi restaurant while he was waiting with Anna Kournikova for a friend to arrive. Along came Justin Timberlake and Cameron Diaz, making it two more for dinner. That had the kid from Cape Cod pinching himself.
"That was a surreal moment," he said. "It's a pretty amazing feeling walking into a restaurant with Anna Kournikova. Everybody looks at her, and then it's like a record skips, and everybody looks at me and thinks, 'Who is that guy?' "

"She's a caring person," he said. "She's very aware of what people say and think of her. She reads the newspapers. But she's getting back into tennis. She's going to make a comeback."

KV
Jul 7th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Don't know about Ryan Macauley. Hopefully he's right. The best was Anna PLAYED doubles and won. Rather she plays doubles than no tennis at all.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2004, 07:49 PM
I agree. I want Anna to at least play U.S. Open doubles. I don't know why she doesn't.
Russian tennis is huge now. Anna should be a part of it.

Andy.
Jul 8th, 2004, 11:44 AM
i agree with you goldenlox i think that returning to the tour playing doubles would be a good introduction to tour life again and not to taxing on the body getting her ready for a solid singles comeback with matches under her belt

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Maria has been saying a lot of nice things about Anna. I'll get you two to be friends in a year or two.
You just watch.

Sharapova needs to thank her predecessor

By Leighton Ginn
The Desert Sun
July 8th, 2004

While everyone is lavishing praise on the girl once called the next Anna Kournikova, people should take time out to thank the original.

Maria Sharapova, Kournikova’s countrywoman, won the Wimbledon women’s singles title by dominating the most dominant player in the sport, Serena Williams, 6-1, 6-4.

Now Sharapova is on the talk show circuit and will grace the cover of Sports Illustrated.

It’s all richly deserved for the 17-year-old Russian, a brilliant talent.

However, the media frenzy over Sharapova was first experienced -- generated --by Kournikova.

Kournikova brought tennis from the sports pagesinto mainstream culture.

Still in the spotlight

Although Kournikova has played little over the last two years,she is still one of the most talked about players on tour.

She has been featured in television documentaries on E! and VH1, as well as a swimsuit video on ESPN.

Kournikova also was part of the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue cover and is also in the tabloids because of her relationship with singer Enrique Iglesias.

When Kournikova first broke onto the tennis scene, she reached the 1997 semifinals at Wimbledon, a feat which inspired an entire nation -- Russia.

When you look at women’s tennis today, Russian players are increasingly dominating.

Kournikova opened the door.

In 1995, Kournikova was the ITF junior world champion and was No. 1. As a pro, however, she could not juggle dating hockey players, doing cameos in videos and movies, and maintaining a high level of tennis.

Kournikova, who never won a singles title, serves now as a cautionary tale of how fame can be seductive and distracting.

When you ask all the Russian players, theysay they don’t want to be like Kournikova.

On VH1 this past weekend, there was a special on the WTA Tour in which Kournikova was treated as a joke.

However, there’s no doubting her impact on the sport.

Kournikova’s popularitytrickled down to the rest of the tour.

It will be interesting to see what Sharapova does now the spotlight is on her.

Sharapova looks to be more focused than Kournikova.

Sharapova refuses to talk about her personal life, keeping her significant other out of the spotlight.

If Sharapova can match Kournikova’s popularity, however, that might be a bigger accomplishment than even winning Wimbledon as a 17-year-old.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 02:43 AM
Anna enjoys WTT -

http://timesunion.com/center/graphics/sports0708anna.jpg

alias
Jul 9th, 2004, 03:10 AM
She looks gorgeous:worship: :hearts:

Atrixo
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:22 AM
I normally don't find Anna all that attractive; but I will admit, she does look very nice in her recent photos. Some rest and relaxation --- since she's been off the tour --- seems to have benefited her. She has a vibrant and healthy "glow" about her. :)

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Anna does look great in recent photos. She's in love. And at peace with herself.
And she loves tennis. WTT is a fun, team oriented way to get back on the court.

Willie_B
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:31 AM
That's all well and good, but let's try winning.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Anna has already won. In the game of life. And tennis will always be a part of Anna's life.

Willie_B
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:36 AM
I don't pay to watch "life" when I purchase US Open tickets.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:37 AM
There's a bigger world than Flushing Meadows.
Anna does look great in recent photos. She's in love. And at peace with herself.
And she loves tennis. WTT is a fun, team oriented way to get back on the court.

Willie_B
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:40 AM
I like to fuck, as well.

But, I don't think "romantic" when I post at WTAWorld.

Besides, you really don't know if Anna is happy. I doubt I'd be happy with Enrique. But to each their own.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Anna looks happy. That's good enough for me. And she's back on the court.

Willie_B
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:43 AM
Anna has to look happy in front of the camera.

Maria is always smiling too. But, when the cameras are gone, she rolls her eyes at everyone and tells them to fuck off.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Maria is new to this stuff. Anna is a veteran of the media spotlight. 2 S.I. covergirls.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Anna Kournikova in town
Updated: 7/9/2004 10:05 AM
By: Capital News 9 web staff

http://www.capitalnews9.com/images/750.gifhttp://www.capitalnews9.com/media/2004/7/9/images/01____anna.jpg http://www.capitalnews9.com/images/750.gifhttp://www.capitalnews9.com/images/750.gifhttp://www.capitalnews9.com/images/750.gifTennis star Anna Kournikova is in the Capital Region this week.

The NY Buzz hosted The Kansas City Explorers Thursday in Schenectady. Kournikova really didn't do that well. She got one win, but lost both in doubles and in mixed doubles.

Despite her performance, the Kansas City Explorers won the last three sets and beat the Buzz; 18-16.

New York hasn't won a match this season.
http://www.capitalnews9.com/images/750.gifhttp://www.capitalnews9.com/media/2004/7/9/images/02_person-kornikova-in-action.jpg http://www.capitalnews9.com/images/750.gifhttp://www.capitalnews9.com/images/750.gifhttp://www.capitalnews9.com/images/750.gif
In a news conference on Wednesday she talked about the allure of world team tennis.

"I think it's just a great way -- it really brings the fans and the players, and it has music. It's pretty fast -- there's men's and women's, and singles and doubles, so it kind of brings everything together. It's great for tennis," she

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Kournikova spoke recently in a conference call about why she is making a comeback to tennis from an injury and why team tennis rather than the WTA tour.

"I had a great experience last year playing WTT, and I'm excited to play again this year," said the stunning 5-foot-8 beauty. "It's a great format to play and the crowds get so into it. WTT is more relaxed but still very competitive. There is so much team spirit. It's great for tennis and for the game.

"Each set we won was always so much fun. We had a really great team last year and we have a great team this year, too. WTT is a way for me to still play matches. I miss being on the court and I always have so much fun playing."

The Russian born star who won 16 doubles championships including two majors, the 1999 and 2002 Australian Open with teammate Martina Hingis, is scheduled to play four matches for the Explorers from the Western Conference.

Kournikova, who has been romantically linked to hockey star Sergei Fedorov as well as singer Enrique Iglesias has never played in Connecticut.
"I've never been to Connecticut, so this will be a new experience for me," she said. "I'm looking forward to it."

ys
Jul 9th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Kournikova, who has been romantically linked to hockey star Sergei Fedorov as well as singer Enrique Iglesias has never played in Connecticut.
"I've never been to Connecticut, so this will be a new experience for me," she said. "I'm looking forward to it."
I don't know who is ignorant or moron, her or reporter. New Haven IS Connecticut, AFAIK. She did play Pilot Pen.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 09:07 PM
World Team Tennis commissioner Ilana Kloss was in attendance. So was Explorers owner Mel Launius, who demanded a seat in one of the sponsor boxes, directly behind the Kansas City bench. Before long, a pair of policemen were also in that area, making sure no harm came to the visiting glamour girl. Pre-match festivities included the awarding of a plaque to Miss Kournikova -- some kind of "proclamation" the local town council doles out whenever a big tennis star passes through. Anna greeted this honor with a confused shrug. As she warmed up for the evening's first set, the Enrique Iglesias hit "Escape" was piped through the sound system, inspiring Kournikova to smile and sing along. Yes, "Escape" was the music video in which she appeared. No, she will neither confirm nor deny rumors about having married Iglesias.

goldenlox
Jul 9th, 2004, 09:12 PM
After the match, Kournikova patiently signed autographs on court for hundreds of fans. Ilana Kloss did her best to limit the pandemonium, issuing stern orders like "clear the court!" and "do not let another soul in line." Meanwhile, Viktoriya Kutuzova signed more than a few autographs herself in a quieter corner of the court, smiling broadly despite her lopsided loss in singles. Asked about the young Ukranian, Kournikova said, "I think she's got great potential. I've never seen her before. I think she's obviously young and she was hitting the ball really, really hard."

Vass22
Jul 9th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Go Anna!

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2004, 01:40 AM
You expect Anna to remember every city she ever went to?

Daniel
Jul 10th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Good luck!!!! :bounce:

TatiAnnahølic
Jul 10th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Anna lost again :sad:... IMO the only way to see Anna playing competitive tennis again is having surgery and this option seems to be unthinkable for Anna...

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Kournikova Busy Working On Her Return
July 10, 2004
By TOMMY HINE, Courant Staff Writer

AVON -- She left prematurely, and she'd like to return.

But if Anna Kournikova ever plays again on the WTA tour, she will do it because she wants to, not because someone else wants her to.

"I don't feel I have to fulfill someone else's expectations or need to get back, other than because I love it," Kournikova said. "I don't have to prove anything to anybody. I just have to think about how I feel. Mentally, I miss playing. I want get playing competitively again.

"But most important is what I feel. I don't have to explain myself to anybody."

Expectations were high for the Russian, now 23, when she turned pro in the fall of 1995. Five years later, she was ranked eighth in the world.

The knock is that Kournikova never won a WTA singles title, despite her 209-129 record. Her ranking plummeted to No. 305 at the end of last season after a nagging back problem limited her playing time.

"I really don't know when I'll return," Kournikova said before her Kansas City Explorers lost 19-14 to the FoxForce in a World TeamTennis match Friday at Blue Fox Run. "I'm trying to get healthy, to get back on the court. That's my goal ... to play competitive tennis as soon as I can.

"My back is not 100 percent. It's a little sore. But it's really hard to tell much after just two [WTT] matches."

Kournikova didn't fare well in her third match. The FoxForce (3-0) beat the Explorers when Meghann Shaughnessy and Milagros Sequera beat Silvija Talaja and Kournikova in women's doubles, the final set of the night, to break a 14-14 tie. Earlier, Kournikova lost her mixed doubles set in front of about 2,500 at Apple Arena.

A Pilot Pen entry six years ago, Kournikova was asked if she would return to the New Haven tournament next month.

"I don't know," she said.

Appearing twice in the fourth round at the U.S. Open, in 1996 and again in 1998, Kournikova was asked if she would play in New York this year.

"I don't know," she said again.

In Kournikova's three WTT appearances this month, she has played only doubles, her forte when she was in her prime on the tour. In nine years on the tour, she is 200-71 in doubles with 16 titles, and at the end of 1999, she was the top-ranked doubles player.

Off the court, her appeal skyrocketed partly because of her long blond hair and cover-girl looks. Now, even that popularity has diminished some. FoxForce officials had hoped to play Friday's match at the Civic Center, but Kournikova's appearance was moved to the Apple Arena outdoor stadium because advance ticket sales were disappointing.

Born in Moscow, Kournikova was one of the first young Russian players to become an instant favorite with the tennis public.

Maria Sharapova is the latest, and not just because she won Wimbledon last month. She shares Kournikova's good looks and Russian heritage.

"Her win was great for the sport," Kournikova said. "New faces ... new personalities. She deserved to win. She has always been a prodigy

"It wasn't surprising she beat Serena [Williams] in the final. She was prepared.

"In Russia, tennis has always been very, very popular. We've always had good players. We've always had good coaches. Before, players couldn't travel much because of the cost. Now, there are more opportunities."

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Anna's new cover -

http://www.annaforever.de/pictures/magazines/maxim_august2004/maxim_august2004_3.jpg

the cat
Jul 10th, 2004, 04:26 PM
That's an incredible cover! :hearts: But more importantly Anna had some nice words about her compatriot Maria Sharapova winning Wimbledon. :) I thought Anna would say something nice about Masha's monumental Wimbledon triumph and she did. :D

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2004, 04:53 PM
More Anna -

http://www.annaforever.de/pictures/magazines/maxim_august2004/maxim_august2004_2.jpg

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Another -
http://www.annaforever.de/pictures/magazines/maxim_august2004/maxim_august2004_1.jpg

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2004, 08:54 PM
I saw Anna on the WTT weekly highlight show. She's not hiding the tatoo. Anna needs a bigger serve, to win on the tour.
http://www.annaforever.de/pictures/magazines/maxim_august2004/maxim_august2004_5.jpg

goldenlox
Jul 10th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Kournikova doesn't believe she has to take care of any unfinished business.
"I really don't feel I have to fulfill the expectations of others,'' Kournikova said. "The only reason I ever wanted to play tennis is because I enjoy it. I don't have to prove anything to anybody. I do miss playing. To get healthy is my goal. Playing World Team Tennis should help me.
"I can't tell you if I'm going to play in the U.S. Open. I can't say if I'll play in the Pilot Pen in New Haven. My back is still a little sore. We'll see how I'm doing by the end of next week.''

AK-DH Fan
Jul 11th, 2004, 03:20 AM
I saw Anna on the WTT weekly highlight show. She's not hiding the tatoo. Anna needs a bigger serve, to win on the tour.

Hey Goldenlox! I missed the highlight show, when was it on? Could u tell me about how Anna played. The points they showed. From reports I heard that it wasn't good, but what's u're opinion? Also, even though she didn't play well did she look to be enjoying herself out there. Just wondering, hope I'll catch it next Saturday on Fox Sports Net.:)

Thanx, bkm08

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 03:23 AM
I think it's gets replayed several more times. Check your local tv listings. Anna volleyed well, and hit some okay groundstrokes.
Everyone she plays will try to attack her serve. Like Dementieva's opponents.

~SunFlower~
Jul 11th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Too bad. I personally think the pictures aren't that great. Her face looks not normal. Weird looking. Anna installed her implants? They look pretty fake. The old Anna looked way better than present Anna. Just my opinion.

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 03:33 AM
I never understood why guys want this stuff. But when Anna does photoshoots, guys love them.

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Anna, fans enjoy love-love relationship

http://www.kansascity.com/images/common/spacer.gif
By DEREK SAMSON
The Kansas City Star

The Kansas City Explorers discovered a perfect way to decipher just how many tennis fans flooded their stadium Saturday night.

They entered the final set tied, virtually promising the crowd a rousing finish. Just one problem: Anna Kournikova was finished playing. And, not surprisingly, that packed stadium quickly turned half-empty for the final set.

That's fine. The night still turned into a winner in every way for the Explorers. They evened their record at 2-2 after a victory in men's doubles catapulted them to a 19-17 win over Philadelphia. And they drew the second-largest crowd in franchise history, as 2,120 filled the Plaza Tennis Center.

“Anna gets you local exposure, national exposure and she put our franchise on the map,” Explorers general manager Jeff Launius said.

Anna-mania struck Kansas City for the second time in as many years Saturday night. The 23-year-old tennis player — or is it 23-year-old model? — turned a small section of the Plaza just a tinge crazy, although not quite the madhouse Kournikova sparked last year.

A line stretched out to J.C. Nichols Parkway, curving down the middle of the street a mere 95 minutes before the match started. And, no, Kansas City wasn't jacked simply about the Explorers' home opener. Just study that line a little closer. Hmmm. Eighty-two people. Sixty males. Twenty-two females.

Saturday marked Kournikova's fourth and final match with the team, although she'd like to return next summer if she's healthy.

“I just love this team,” Kournikova said. “I had a great experience last year and that's why I came back to Kansas (she left off City). … It was really no question for me where I would go this year. It was a simple decision.”

It was a simple decision for Seth Herrold, 20, of Gilman City, Mo., as well. His friends wanted him to see a movie. He wanted to see Kournikova. So Herrold made the two-hour drive with his younger brother and sister, arriving at the tennis center two hours before the match started. Yet, they weren't even the first fans in line.

“I'll tell (my friends) I was there and I saw her,” Herrold said. “We were gonna see a movie in Chillicothe, but I passed that up to see this. ‘Anchorman' will still be playing at the end of the week.”

His 17-year-old brother, Benjamin, interrupted, “But Kournikova is a one-time deal.”

The gates opened at 6 p.m., and those first 82 sweaty fans finally shuffled forward. Brothers Karl and Bradley Kunkle of Sugar Creek were among those sweltering in line.

“I bought these tickets the minute you could online,” Karl said. “I've been a big Kournikova fan ever since her debut.”

Once inside, Mike Aspinwall, 33, and Kevin Reed, 26, sat proudly in their first-row seats they purchased for $65 apiece. This was their first tennis match, and here they were 10 feet from Kournikova. They had everything they needed. A digital camera. Miller Lite. A copy of the 2004 Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue that, of course, featured Kournikova.

“Please quit moving,” Reed mumbled to himself as he focused his camera on Kournikova.

But these are the fans the Explorers hope to win over, even without Kournikova.

“They saw some fantastic tennis tonight,” Launius said. “Hopefully they'll come back for the rest of the matches, too.”

No question, the fans were treated to an enjoyable match. Kournikova opened the night by teaming with David Macpherson in mixed doubles. The Kansas City duo won the final three games for an easy 5-2 victory, starting the match on a positive note.

Kansas City's Silvija Talaja followed with a 5-2 win in women's singles, but Philadelphia gained ground in men's singles. Philly's John Paul Fruttero defeated Alex Kim of Kansas City 5-3, and the Freedoms pulled to within 13-9.

Ansley Cargill and Elena Tatarkova pounded Kournikova and Talaja 5-1 in women's doubles, sending the match into the final set deadlocked at 14-all.

“This was my best match this week, just the way I felt on the court,” Kournikova said. “I played really well in the first set in the mixed. In the (women's) doubles, I was a little rusty after sitting on the bench. But I felt much more comfortable.”

Macpherson and Kim saved the night for the Explorers, taking men's doubles 5-3 and handing their team the 19-17 win.

“Three matches on the road is a tough way to start the season,” Explorers coach Paul Smith said. “It was nice to be back home.”

apoet29
Jul 11th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Too bad. I personally think the pictures aren't that great. Her face looks not normal. Weird looking. Anna installed her implants? They look pretty fake. The old Anna looked way better than present Anna. Just my opinion.
I have to agree. Normally, she looks gorgeous no matter what the pics are, but these pics have a very sleazy feel to them. Anna usually has more class than that. Now it seems that she has taken the Britney Spears/Carmen Electra route and will do anything to stay in the spotlight. I like her others pics much better.

BTW, is is me or do her breasts look huge in these shots compared to the recent photos of her practicing?

goldenlox
Jul 11th, 2004, 10:58 PM
More "sleaze"

http://www.annaforever.de/pictures/magazines/maxim_august2004/maxim_august2004_6.jpg

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Here's a good Anna story. When she was 18, she bought a $5 million house.
It wasn't for sale. But when they drove past it on the way to the house they were showing, Anna pointed at a house, and said, " I want that one."
And she made the owners an offer they couldn't pass up.

http://www.davidlombardi.com/lombreal/pages/press/kournikova.html

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 05:50 AM
I saw Anna play WTT doubles on the Tennis Channel. The announcer said Anna now lives in Brentwood, California.
Anna said she would need to practice 4 hours a day to come back on the tour. But she practices less than that, because of her back.

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2004, 11:34 PM
I saw the beginning of Access Hollywood, and Anna's on it tonight. I guess she's starting the Maxim promotion.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:02 AM
It was Maxim. Anna spent a week in the Caribbean. And there's a video too. But she wasn't interviewed.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 12:04 AM
I Assume That Anna Was Busy In The Caribbean Working On Her Game.
I'm going to save your post for posterity.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:08 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040714/capt.ksd11707140351.mercedes_benz_cup_ksd117.jpg Tue Jul 13,11:54 PM EThttp://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/nws/p/ap120.gif (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ap/brand/SIG=br2v03/*http://www.ap.org)
Tennis player Anna Kournikova right, gets a kiss from latin pop-star Enrique Iglesias seated courtside during Andre Agassi's first round match against Alex Bogomlov, Jr., at the Mercedes-Benz Cup Tuesday, July 13, 2004, at the Los Angeles Tennis Center in the Westwood district of Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Kevork Djansezian)

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Fox Sports Cable Networks will premeire the new installment of their candid, and revealing "Beyond The Glory" series featuring Anna Kournikova. This new one-hour segment will traditionally make its national cable premeire this Sunday Night at 8:00 pm. at all time zones then subsequentally telecasted at various times on the Fox Sports Regional networks during the week.

goldenlox
Jul 14th, 2004, 11:12 PM
A&E -

http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/51052150RM019_Mercedes_Cup071401_1024x768.jpg

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:01 AM
I just went to ************** and there are about 200 new pictures of Anna. Mostly from WTT. And a few from Andre-Alex. She's wearing that big ring during WTT matches.

ys
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Enrique looks very retardish.. Anna will dump him soon.

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:11 AM
What's with the hats? When adult men wear hats, sometimes there's no hair under them.

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 01:54 PM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/778308.cms

http://info.indiatimes.com/it/toipics/a3.jpgKournikova and Iglesias on day 2 of the Mercedes-Benz Cup in Los Angeles. (AFP Photo)

"When I'm with Anna, it's the best time of my life," Iglesias was once quoted by the Australian newspaper Herald Sun as saying.

"She is a beautiful person inside and out. She's great, she's fun, she's adventurous, she's energetic, she's crazy and she's up for anything. She is athletic, which I think any guy that is into sports and doing crazy things loves. It's always cool to be with someone who is not prissy, and not afraid to break a nail."

ys
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:10 PM
"She is a beautiful person inside and out. She's great, she's fun, she's adventurous, she's energetic, she's crazy and she's up for anything. She is athletic, which I think any guy that is into sports and doing crazy things loves. It's always cool to be with someone who is not prissy, and not afraid to break a nail."
This is not as retardish as his looks. Perhps looks are deceiving.. :lol:

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Why would Anna stay with Enrique for over two years now if he was dopey.
He must be interesting to be around.

ys
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Why would Anna stay with Enrique for over two years now if he was dopey.
He must be interesting to be around.
He could be just a good lover. There are legends about how good his father is.

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:37 PM
He would have to be real, real good.
I don't think he gets along with his dad. Enrique says he's not a ladies' man.

ys
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Enrique says he's not a ladies' man.
He cries too much.

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:47 PM
I never saw him cry. He sings ballads, but I don't see crying.

the cat
Jul 15th, 2004, 04:25 PM
I think as long as Anna and Enrique are together she won't make a WTA Tour comeback attempt. She seems so in love with him and she seems to need to be with him to the point of her tennis career is secondary in her life. :) All we can do is wish them the best. :D

goldenlox
Jul 15th, 2004, 08:40 PM
The one-time WTA star knows if she ever decides to play again on the WTA tour, it will be on her own watch and based solely upon her own decision. "I don't feel I have to fulfill someone else's expectations or need to get back other than because I love it," Kournikova said. "I just have to think about how I feel, I want to get playing competitively again."

Kournikova started playing tennis at the age of five and turned pro in the fall of 1995. She shortly gained the number eight ranking in the world, five years later. Although never winning a WTA singles title, she has gone 209-129. Her doubles career isn't too shabby either with a 200-71 record and 16 doubles titles to her name. One only hopes Kournikova can return at full strength as soon as possible.

"I'm trying to get healthy, to get back on the court," Kournikova said. "That's my goal, to play competitive tennis as soon as I can."

Kournikova appeared in the fourth round at the U.S. Open in 1996 and 1998, so the real question is whether the tennis public can expect her in New York for the tournament this year. "I don't really know," Kournikova said.
Connecticut fans will have to keep an eye out to see if Kournikova will make a third appearance to the Nutmeg State for the Pilot Pen next month because again the 23-year-old doesn't seem certain herself. "I don't know," Kournikova said.

goldenlox
Jul 17th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Some small wireimage pics of A&E at the Andre-Alex tennis match.

http://www.**************/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=gls====69447

goldenlox
Jul 18th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Anna has a one hour biography on tv Sunday night. Plus the Maxim cover.

Fox Sports Cable Networks will premeire the new installment of their candid, and revealing "Beyond The Glory" series featuring Anna Kournikova. This new one-hour segment will traditionally make its national cable premeire this Sunday Night at 8:00 pm. at all time zones then subsequentally telecasted at various times on the Fox Sports Regional networks during the week.

goldenlox
Jul 18th, 2004, 06:59 PM
5 hours from now is another biography of Anna's life. She already has biographies on ESPN, E!, and VH-1. Now Fox Sports.
Churchill doesn't have this many biographies.

goldenlox
Jul 19th, 2004, 12:05 AM
This new biography is far the best. They have new interviews with Anna.

goldenlox
Jul 19th, 2004, 01:23 AM
That was one of the best shows I've ever seen. I'm going to watch it at least two more times this week. At least.
Winning a Tier IV at 16 would mean nothing. That doesn't help you win a Tier I. Ask Nagyova.
But you have to have a coach who really knows the game. That's the one situation I don't understand. Not having a traveling coach with you all the time.

goldenlox
Jul 19th, 2004, 04:06 AM
I just watched it again. Here's my comment - even if you know, deep down, that you're not coming back to the tour, get a coach anyway. Even if it's for one hour a day. Get a coach.
You never know in life. Raymond is 30. Vento-Kabchi is 31. But a coach is an absolute. Even if the coach just keeps your strokes sound for exhibitions.

And don't tell people on your payroll what you're really thinking. Save that stuff for people you trust.

ys
Jul 19th, 2004, 04:12 AM
You never know in life. Raymond is 30. Vento-Kabchi is 31. But a coach is an absolute. Even if the coach just keeps your strokes sound for exhibitions.

And don't tell people on your payroll what you're really thinking. Save that stuff for people you trust.

If you can afford a coach.

Thanks for covering it for us ( can't goodrep you for that yet though ).. I'll watch it tomorrow or next Friday.

goldenlox
Jul 19th, 2004, 04:19 AM
If you can't afford a coach, that's a whole different situation.
If you can't afford designer clothes, you're not going to be wearing them.
But Anna's not sure if she wants to do all the work it takes to come back. A coach is going to make her work.
But no coach means her game will go south. So even if Anna puts restrictions on the coach, she needs one.
I hate to nag. Actually, I enjoy nagging. Get a coach. It's never too late. In fact, you have all the time in the world.

ys
Jul 19th, 2004, 04:24 AM
I hate to nag. Actually, I enjoy nagging. Get a coach. It's never too late. In fact, you have all the time in the world.
I think, she would have hired a coach, if it was possible to do it in a low-key way, so that nobody would know. Every her public movement is scritinised and this one will certainly be interpreted as some kind of a signal. She doesn't want any such pressure as this point, I guess.

goldenlox
Jul 19th, 2004, 04:33 AM
Solomon said they talked a few weeks ago. This show is loaded with recent interviews. It's nothing like the other biographies.
Anna just isn't sure what she wants to do now. But like I said, even if she only plays exhibitions, she needs a coach.

goldenlox
Jul 19th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Don't listen to other people. If you want to come back, you'll know. You'll be out of bed at 6 in the morning, wanting to practice.
If you don't feel like you really, really want to do it, then stay with exhibitions.
But have a coach either way.

TatiAnnahølic
Jul 20th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Solomon said they talked a few weeks ago. This show is loaded with recent interviews. It's nothing like the other biographies.
Anna just isn't sure what she wants to do now. But like I said, even if she only plays exhibitions, she needs a coach.just read that in anna4ever site :hearts: I'm so happy Ashley won a match and Anna trying to come back, the day couldn't go better :D :worship:

goldenlox
Jul 20th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Anna is going to start training hard, to at least get into good shape. And then she'll see what happens.
That's the impression I get from Beyond the Glory.

goldenlox
Jul 21st, 2004, 05:20 PM
I'm watching Beyond the Glory again. I can't believe how candid Anna is.
I hope Anna got paid for these interviews. She doesn't have to give them.

I think a big part of Anna's future should be as a businesswoman. A reason she gets these big endorsement deals is that CEO's want to meet this big celebrity.
Anna should practice doing the celebrity meet and greet, and getting the business deals she wants.

goldenlox
Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:13 AM
By Miki Turner
Special to Page 3

While it's highly unlikely that the producers of "Catwoman" even considered casting anyone other than their first-choice Ashley Judd or second pick Halle Berry, we here at Page 3 feel as though they should have expanded their search to the athletic arena.

Why? Because there are plenty of women who would have looked just as stunning as Berry in that form-fitting, leather catsuit with the strategically-placed cutaways.

That said, just in case the Oscar-winning actress doesn't want to do the sequel -- small chance of that since she's already committed -- here are nine suggestions for her possible successor. Why nine? Hey, nine lives, nine picks.

http://espn.starwave.com/media/pg3/2004/0720/photo/w_kournikova_i.jpg Let's face it, Anna Kournikova has more than enough time to take on the Catwoman role.

1. Anna Kournikova, tennis

Of course, Ms. Anna is always at the top of our list when it comes to glam gals. She might not be the best tennis player that ever stepped onto a court, but we have a feeling she could get downright catty. And, since the only thing she appears to be doing these days is following Enrique Iglesias around the globe, and fondling him in public places, she's got the time to commit. Besides, a Russian Catwoman would be all too cool. She could purr with an accent.

goldenlox
Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:15 AM
At the worst, hard tennis practice sessions will keep Anna in shape. At best, a triumphant return -
http://www.maximonline.com/girls/anna_kournikova_2/gm_l6.jpg

goldenlox
Jul 23rd, 2004, 01:57 PM
Here are 3 segments from Anna's most recent biography -

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/865313

the cat
Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:34 PM
GL, I missed "Beyond The Glory" profiling Anna Kournikova. Is it on again this weekend?

goldenlox
Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:43 PM
I think it's on several more times. Anna playing WTT is on MSG network in primetime this weekend.

Annas_Biggestfan
Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:26 PM
:yeah:Please comeback soon anna we miss you here up in vermont :worship: :hug:

the cat
Jul 24th, 2004, 12:49 AM
GL, I taped Anna's "Beyond The Glory" when I was out todaya nd it was a very good show. But watching that show made me sad because of the video clips on Anna playing tennis as a child and as a youngster on the WTA Tour. As it turned out Anna only scratched the surface of her tennis potential. Her seemingly never ending string of injuries took a tremendous physical and mental toll on her over the years. I'm sad to say I don't think Anna has another WTA Tour comeback in her. :( I think Anna knows she can't physically hold up to the grueling WTA Tour schedule and all the training that goes with being a tennis player. But I would be happy if Anna tried a part time comeback where she played only 8 to 10 tournaments a year.

goldenlox
Jul 24th, 2004, 01:02 AM
When I watched Sveta-Lena today, I was thinking about Anna. It was hot in L.A., and that was a long match.
These players work very, very hard. Does Anna want to be out there for hours in the heat, when she knows that if she wins, she has to do it again tomorrow?
It's hard work, and Anna is already very wealthy. I know I would think twice, if I had that kind of money.

the cat
Jul 24th, 2004, 02:25 PM
GL, I don't think Anna is willing to do all the hard work that tennis players do because she knows she can't physically hold up from the rigors of the WTA Tour. And that's sad. :(

goldenlox
Jul 24th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Anna's fame and popularity transcends tennis, and all of sports. I feel Anna should be doing things that are much more important than hitting tennis balls.

I think Anna should be actively involved in charitable work. In helping those who are less fortunate.
And not with Anna's money. She should use her celebrity to create awareness. To raise donations. To inspire others to help.
To do something great in this world. Something important. A real legacy.

the cat
Jul 24th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Well said GL. But Anna should use some of her own money. And with Maria Sharapova having been marketed as a teen who will change the world Maria needs to do things when she has the time to help others. I think donating to the Sochi tennis club she started in and that her cousin Daria and niece Anya play in would be a start. I was dissapointed to learn that Yevgeny Kafelnikov has apparently never donated any money to the Sochi tennis club where he learned to play tennis. And I would like Masha to partake in a Feed The Children event in Russia or something along those lines. Then Masha would really be a teen changing the world for the better.

goldenlox
Jul 24th, 2004, 07:31 PM
I don't think it's Anna obligation to do charity. I just think it's an option she should consider.
Anna has been blessed with the opportunity to make the world a better place for many who are unlucky and less fortunate than us.
It's something that I believe will bring Anna a feeling of fufillment that tennis never could.

the cat
Jul 24th, 2004, 08:04 PM
I hope Anna does involve herself in a way to make a difference in the world. And I believe that would make her truly happy. :)

goldenlox
Jul 26th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Sunday, MSG network in NYC, which show Knick and Ranger games, plus other sports, showed the whole KC-Sportimes WTT match. With both of Anna's sets. And Anna's Beyond the Glory, twice.
Anna was on MSG network all day Sunday.

goldenlox
Jul 26th, 2004, 11:10 AM
This is today's New York Daliy News -

THE PLAYERS Tennis star Anna Kournikova and singer Enrique Iglesias
THE SCORE The Russian-born court queen starred in the Latin crooner's steamy video for the song "Escape" in 2002 and they were soon a hot item.
THE RESULTS They've been on and off and are now on. So much so, she's now got a gazillion-dollar pink diamond on her hand, which, they've said, isn't an engagement ring.
COLOR COMMENTARY Enrique: "In the near future, I want to dedicate all my free time to Anna, but whether we marry or not makes no difference to me."

TatiAnnahølic
Jul 27th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Anna Learns Spanish From Boyfriend Enrique
Posted on Sunday, July 25 @ 21:55:34 PDT by MusicMan (http://popdirt.com/)

http://www.popdirt.com/images/topics/gossip.gif (http://www.popdirt.com/search.php?query=&topic=32) In another sign that their relationship is getting serious, Anna Kournikova has learned to speak Spanish with the help of Enrique Iglesias. A source saw the couple speaking with a friend primarily in Spanish while dining at the Four Seasons at Beverly Hills hotel on July 15th. "Enrique seemed proud that she understood and was able to share her opinions," the fellow diner revealed. "He also confided in the man, 'Yes, she takes care of me!'"

http://www.popdirt.com/article31294.html

that's great now we can talk to each other :cool: :D :lol:

ys
Jul 27th, 2004, 01:41 PM
She was learning Spanish long before she knew Enrique exists.

goldenlox
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:43 PM
She was learning Spanish long before she knew Enrique exists.
So now she has a chance to speak Spanish every day.

Anna graces the cover of the August 2004 issue of Maxim. This is her second appearance on the Maxim cover. She was featured one year ago on the August 2003 cover.

For more information and to purchase your copy of Maxim, go to http://www.maximonline.com/ (http://www.maximonline.com/). http://www.kournikova.com/images/homepage/maxim_80_full.jpg

goldenlox
Jul 28th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Kournikova's Cover
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/KOURIVI2.jpg
Anna Kournikova By Adrianna Outlaw
07/28/2004

Anna Kournikova continues her transformation from tennis player to tennis model. The internet icon, who made a splash in her swim suit when she appeared on the cover and in the pages of the annual Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue earlier this year, graces the cover of Maxim magazine this month.
The photos of a bikini-clad Kournikova were shot for her 2005 swimsuit calendar and are reprinted in Maxim (http://www.maximonline.com/girls_of_maxim/html/girl_1067.html) along with Kournikova's comments on the state of her tennis career.

"I miss the adrenaline high of pro tennis," Kournikova tells the magazine. "But I'm just 23. There will be other moments I am passionate about."

Some of the photos were shot at St. Kitts Marriott Resort & the Royal Beach Casino were Kournikova could indulge her passion for water sports.

For more information and to purchase your copy of Maxim, go to http://www.maximonline.com/ (http://www.maximonline.com/). http://www.kournikova.com/images/homepage/maxim_80_full.jpg

"I love water skiing and jet skiing," Kournikova said. "This year I even tried to snow ski."

goldenlox
Jul 29th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Come back, Anna
To the acclaim of thousands, Anna Kournikova may be seen again on the women's tour. Jim Fuhse, the WTA Tour's director of special events and charities, said he believes Kournikova's career has not concluded.
When Kournikova might return, though, Fuhse isn't saying. Back problems have kept her off the tour since the spring of 2003.

Just remember, it's a ton of hard work.

goldenlox
Jul 30th, 2004, 09:54 AM
This is from a very recent Jennie Finch interview -

What do you think of Anna Kournikova? "You have to really appreciate what she has done for female athletes. Her going mainstream into modeling obviously helped."

Anna has opened doors for woman athletes in many different sports. And Anna has changed the game of tennis.
And the marketing of women's tennis.

Sharap0va
Jul 30th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Who gives a shit about Jennie Finch?

goldenlox
Jul 30th, 2004, 02:01 PM
I like when athletes who get marketing opportunities show respect to Anna.

Sharap0va
Jul 30th, 2004, 02:04 PM
I guess...

When will this blonde bimbo phase ever end?

I'm not referring to Anna as a blonde bimbo. She earned some of her notoriety by trying at tennis a few years ago.

Sharap0va
Aug 1st, 2004, 06:59 AM
The little news pic on top make that post funny as hell.

goldenlox
Aug 1st, 2004, 11:56 AM
July 26, 2004 - In another sign that their relationship is getting serious, Anna Kournikova has learned to speak Spanish with the help of Enrique Iglesias. A source saw the couple speaking with a friend primarily in Spanish while dining at the Four Seasons at Beverly Hills hotel on July 15th. "Enrique seemed proud that she understood and was able to share her opinions," the fellow diner revealed. "He also confided in the man, 'Yes, she takes care of me!'"

goldenlox
Aug 5th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Anna is in Miami Beach. There are pictures of her shopping at gettyimages. I can't post the link
Check out the car. Wow!
Seach "Kournikova" -

goldenlox
Aug 10th, 2004, 09:23 PM
I saw on Anna's website that they are finally going to film that tv commercial -

[/url]Tennis superstar Anna Kournikova surprises Matthew Sherwood of Richmond, Virginia, who was selected as the winner of Gillette Complete Skincare's "Completely Irresistible Face," at the Loews Hotel, Miami Beach, Florida, USA, on Tuesday, August

Anna Kournikova Reveals the Nation's Most ''Completely Irresistible Face''

BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 10, 2004--
-- Winner of Gillette Complete Skincare's Nationwide Contest Receives Surprise Visit from Kournikova, Prize Package Worth $25,000 and a Chance to Appear in a Gillette Commercial --

The Gillette Company today announced the winner of its nationwide "Search for the Completely Irresistible Face." Matthew Sherwood, a 31-year-old computer technician from Richmond, VA, received a surprise visit from tennis superstar Anna Kournikova, who declared his face the most "completely irresistible" from more than 1,200 entrants across the country.

Kournikova presented Sherwood with a complete electronics prize package, including an HDTV plasma display, surround-sound system, integrated DVD recorder and digital video camera. In addition, Sherwood will fly to a photo shoot later this year for the chance to appear in an upcoming Gillette Complete Skincare television commercial.

The Company created the contest to promote Gillette Complete Skincare, a new line of products designed specifically for men. The nationwide search began on May 5, 2004, with an open casting call hosted by Kournikova in New York's Times Square. Men also entered the contest via [url="http://www.gillettecomplete.com/"]www.gillettecomplete.com (http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?epi-content=MULTIMEDIA_GALLERY_POPUP&newsId=20040810005802&newsLang=en&moduleId=478837757) and U.S. mail.

"It was a thrill to kick off the search in New York and to surprise the winner," said Kournikova. "Matthew is truly irresistible-looking and it was fun to tell him so!" Sherwood was chosen by Gillette's panel of judges based on two criteria - the overall healthy appearance of his skin and his overall appeal.

A member of Richmond-based rock band "Strike Anywhere," Sherwood was entered into the contest by his number one fan, his girlfriend Aran.

"I didn't realize Aran had entered me until I received a call saying that I was a finalist," said Sherwood. "I never thought of myself as irresistible - so this is pretty cool!"

As for Sherwood's take on the surprise visit by Kournikova, he said, "Opening the door to see Anna was unbelievable enough.... and then, I found out that I won, which made the whole experience even more incredible. This has been amazing."

goldenlox
Aug 11th, 2004, 01:08 AM
This is good -

"The success Anna had is an incredible story, really," says Australian Open tournament director Paul McNamee. "She was one of the most successful women in the world. But I think she could have influenced young girls everywhere; not just in Russia.

"It's amazing to have so many (women in the top 40). It's remarkable, and the Spanish are doing it in the men. I would suspect Olga Morozova would have something to do with it because she was really a great player and I know she was involved in the program, so whatever system they've put in place was pretty good."

From his own playing and business experience, McNamee also subscribes to the "cluster" theory, with success breeding competition, leading to more success.
"You don't want to just have one or two," he said. "If you can have three or four or five or six, that is the best system to push people up, and that's been a bit of a problem in Australia; we just haven't had the numbers of good juniors to push each other up."

goldenlox
Aug 11th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Besides the red porsche, Anna has this huge Cadillac -

http://shotnews.com/web/verfoto.asp?codigo=Foto7865825&texto=kournikova&texto_desc=&texto_lugar=&mostrar=1

http://shotnews.com/web/verfoto.asp?codigo=Foto6902277&texto=kournikova&texto_desc=&texto_lugar=&mostrar=1

goldenlox
Aug 12th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Anna Mania
It's Kournikova's second season with the Kansas City Explorers, one of 10 teams on the World Team Tennis circuit, but the novelty of her appearance, whether it's a Grand Slam event or a minor league type atmosphere, hasn't worn off. http://espn.starwave.com/media/oly/2004/0806/photo/jh_annaback_i.jpgAnna Kournikova says she can walk away from tennis whenever she wants. So far, though, she hasn't walked away from the endorsement money."I've never seen any amount of frenzy as in the media interest and excitement that she brings to tennis," said Jeff Launius, in his third year as the Explorers' general manager. "She's certainly put our franchise on the map in my opinion, last year and this year."

Make no mistake, though, this is not a WTA event.

During gatherings with local media, fans often infiltrate press conferences to interject questions that invariably veer off topic. A local police officer thanks Kournikova for coming to town. Another man presents her with a T-shirt. The media-maven, though, doesn't miss a beat.

Said one man, three questions into her media address: "How would a big fan like me go about getting his picture taken with you?"

"Ask me," Kournikova said politely.

Her popularity is hardly fading. There are close to 280,000 registered members -- and counting -- on her Web site from nearly 100 countries. "Kournikova" long has ranked among the most searched words on the Internet.

Whether it's the throng of non-paying spectators who crane for an obscured view from behind the fence that rings the facility in Mamaronek, or a smooth-talker who pulls up in a Prowler with the top down and announces "I'm here to see Anna" to all within earshot as they make their way into the arena in Avon, Conn., Kournikova remains an attraction, her magnetism still unparalleled.

"She obviously has the sex appeal," a 19-year-old male employee says with a smile as Kournikova warms up on the court before a match. "That's definitely why there's all guys standing around watching her now."

Her game brings her here. Her looks bring the crowd.

In a typical tennis match, fans' heads turn on a swivel as they watch the ball bounce from one end of the court to the other. But with Anna involved, it's not a typical match. The neck muscles take a break as tennis becomes an afterthought.

During a match, a fan grabs an errant ball hit into the stands. He turns to celebrate his prize with his friends, but hands the ball over seconds later when Kournikova calls for its return.

"Why did you give that ball back?" a friend scolds him.

"Because she told me to," the man simply replies, an answer suitable enough for his friend. http://espn.starwave.com/media/oly/2004/0806/photo/jh_annaair_i.jpgHoping to keep her tennis skills sharp, Anna spent part of her summer playing on the World Team Tennis circuit."As a promoter, we don't care what she's won because she does a great job of getting media, fans and selling tickets," said Illana Kloss, the chief executive of World Team Tennis. "And those are the things that really matter."

The sound of camera shutters rapidly opening and closing creates a white noise whenever she is on the court. The images of the woman who won a pair of Grand Slam doubles titles but never lived up to others' expectations, however, aren't all snapshots of moments capturing her athletic ability.

One fan steadies his camera phone and clicks a picture just as Kournikova bends over to adjust her shoe. "Yes!" he says as his girlfriend laughs in amusement.

Afterward, a long, winding line of children await their turn to collect her autograph, the occasional adult trying hard to camouflage themselves in the mix. While the other players head to the locker room, Kournikova pulls up a chair and scribbles something resembling her name until everyone is satisfied.

The attention, she says, has not backed off despite her absence from the WTA Tour more than a year now.

"It's not something that bothers me or makes me happy," she said. "I just kind of try to live my life."

A life that comes with strings attached.

A fight for the spotlight
Kournikova no longer needs tennis. And tennis no longer needs her.

"I'll always play tennis only because I love it," she said. "I'll never play just because I have to. I don't have to do anything, really. I just do whatever I love."

The tennis world has moved on and found it's new darling in Sharapova. But the taller, more accomplished newcomer, who also competes in World Team Tennis for the Newport Beach Breakers, seems to be missing something that would complete the package.

"I've been involved with World Team Tennis for almost 20 years and I've never seen fans affected by any player as much as Anna Kournikova," Kloss said. "With Sharapova coming along, she has the ability to, I think, attract some of those people. But Kournikova has that X-factor that I don't think Sharapova has."

Sharapova, apparently, doesn't want it.

Sharapova's agent, Max Eisenbud, said tennis will always remain first on the priority list. "She's interested in becoming No. 1, so you're not going to see her doing 20 or 30 different deals," he said.

Still, she already has endorsement deals with Nike and Prince, and others could find themselves in the works before she takes the court at the U.S. Open in early August.

"She definitely attracts fans, and I think Maria should have a very bright future," said Ben Sturner of Bennett Global, a sports and entertainment marketing agency. "I think the sky's the limit for Maria in terms of marketing ability and tennis ability."

Kournikova, of course, has struck her riches off the court. Even if her back injury leads to an early retirement, marketing experts say they believe that her revenue streams won't dry up completely.

Kevin Wulff, director of sports marketing for Adidas America, refused to speculate about Kournikova's future with his company, but said it is not uncommon for high-profile athletes to continue a lucrative endorsement career after their playing days are over. Although only a select few can continue to hold on to their celebrity power when it comes to marketing after retirement, Michael Jordan and George Foreman have shown that it is possible.

"Even when she has not been playing, she still has been maintaining a place in the spotlight and still getting offers," said Patrick McGee, a vice president with Octagon, the agency that represents Kournikova.

The older Russian beauty doesn't seem to feel threatened in any way that Sharapova will still her glory. "I think it's very exciting for the game," Kournikova says with a smile.

The younger Russian star, however, is sick of hearing Kournikova's name. "After winning Wimbledon, I don't want to answer those questions anymore," Sharapova said.

But no matter how hard people try to keep the comparisons to a minimum, sometimes they are inevitable.

When it was announced that Sharapova was to compete in the China Open this coming September, according to a newspaper in China, tournament officials proudly announced her arrival by hanging up a poster of Kournikova.

goldenlox
Aug 12th, 2004, 06:15 PM
The Tennis Channel is showing Anna-Dokic from 2000 in Fed Cup tomorrow night.
I saw the 2002 San Diego semi, so I can compare a little bit.

goldenlox
Aug 13th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Anna playing WTT in July -

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/oly/2004/0806/photo/anna05.jpg

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/oly/2004/0806/photo/anna04.jpg

goldenlox
Aug 13th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Anna and Gillette -

http://www.**************/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=gls====71966&nbc1=1

the cat
Aug 13th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Dokic was a tough player for Anna to beat. I have their Hong Kong final on tape and Dokic played great and beat Anna who played some good tennis in that match.

goldenlox
Aug 13th, 2004, 11:25 PM
I'm looking forward to watching this. I want the Tennis Channel to show Anna from 1998.

the cat
Aug 13th, 2004, 11:33 PM
I've got Anna tapes from the 1995 Orange Bowl final on. But it pains me to watch these tapes because I think of what might have been for Anna if not for all of the injuries and distractions she faced. :(

goldenlox
Aug 15th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Anna And Enrique in The Daily Star

Anna Kournikova braved it by going bare faced when she indulged in some retail therapy in South Beach, Miami, and the tennis ace still looked beautiful.
Anna, 23 is soaking up the sun with fiance Enrique Iglesias.
The couple have been spotted in the luxurious Delano's hotel bar, whispering sweet nothings

goldenlox
Aug 15th, 2004, 05:20 PM
This is in today's New York Post -

. . ANNA Kournikova, wearing her garish pink diamond engagment ring, and Enrique Iglesias shacking up for a romantic weekend at the Shore Club in Miami Beach leaving their room only to eat at Nobu.

goldenlox
Aug 17th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Anna's red Porsche, thanks to saab for this picture -

http://boxmail.biz/constructor/img/131039.jpg

AUGUST 4: Anna Kournikova gets into her car after shopping on Lincoln Road on August 4, 2004 in Miami Beach, Florida

goldenlox
Aug 18th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Pictures of Anna with Gillette at The Loews Hotel in Miami Beach, August 10.

http://www.shotnews.com/web/tema.asp?tema=Tema3513147

goldenlox
Aug 24th, 2004, 02:20 AM
This is from US Weekly, this week -

http://homepage.freenet.de/images/12/enriqueiglesiasphotopage/enriqueiglesiasphotopage49275.jpg

goldenlox
Aug 26th, 2004, 11:43 PM
They just showed Anna & her home on Entertainment Tonight. The VMA's are this weekend in Miami, and they were showing the celebrity mansions.
Sean Combs and Lenny Cravitz also live there, among other celebs.
Location, location, location.

goldenlox
Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:41 PM
Anna was on Extra last night. She's one of the celebrities with a mansion in Florida.
Everyone is leaving because of the hurricane. Come to New York.

Daniel
Sep 4th, 2004, 07:31 AM
I knew that had to be Miami, that bus is quite familiar to my eyes :o

Is there any chance she will be back to the circuit ??

goldenlox
Sep 9th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Anna will play in the WTT's all star charity event at the University of California at Irvine on Monday October 11.
Agassi and Roddick are also playing.

ys
Sep 11th, 2004, 03:37 PM
I wonder what Anna thinks.. Is she going to show up tonight?

goldenlox
Sep 11th, 2004, 03:41 PM
That would be great if she came to the match. I think she's training with Solomon.
Anna is a big part of this. The AO will be a chance for 4 different Russians to win consecutive majors.
I hope Anna is in the draw. I expect her to be in the draw.

goldenlox
Sep 12th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Anna is going to be on the tv show The Appentice, this season. I wonder if she knows Trump. He loves being around celebrities.

CJ07
Sep 13th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Anna is going to be on the tv show The Appentice, this season. I wonder if she knows Trump. He loves being around celebrities.
Really?

I think if Anna wins 5 or so games off Venus, she'll come back.
I think she wants to use that match as a gauge of where she is.
She doesn't want to come back to lose

Epigone
Sep 13th, 2004, 11:51 PM
That would be great if she came to the match. I think she's training with Solomon.
Anna is a big part of this. The AO will be a chance for 4 different Russians to win consecutive majors.
I hope Anna is in the draw. I expect her to be in the draw.Harold Solomon is a good guy. I chatted with him a few times in Sydney during his brief time as Daniela Hantuchova's coach. I'm sure that if Anna is healthy and wants to get back on Tour, he is the best person to help her get there.

Chance
Sep 15th, 2004, 11:08 AM
are u guys aware that Venus, Serena and Anna are going to be playing an exhibition in November?

Venus Williams and Serena Williams, along with Anna Kournikova, will compete in the Lexus Tennis Challenge Nov. 21 at Rupp Arena, which benefits the OWL Foundation and the Tubby Smith Foundation.

The OWL Foundation, which was started by Oracene Price, mother of Venus and Serena Williams, funds programs to address the learning needs of academically at-risk youth.

"We are thrilled to be coming to Kentucky to work with the Tubby Smith Foundation," Venus Williams said. "We understand that Coach Smith's Foundation supports the same goals as the OWL Foundation."

"I have been a tremendous fan of the Williams sisters since they burst onto the tennis scene, so this is a terrific opportunity to be involved with their charity here in the Lexington community," Smith said.

The event format will feature Venus Williams against Kournikova in singles, followed by a doubles match with Serena Williams and an additional WTA Tour player, to be named later.

Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. Monday and are priced from $20 to $75 and can be purchased at all Ticketmaster locations or at the Rupp Arena box office

goldenlox
Sep 18th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Anna has agreed to dine with the UK fraternity that sells the most tickets to this charity event.
So it should be a big crowd will all these frat guys out selling tickets.

goldenlox
Sep 23rd, 2004, 02:57 PM
are u guys aware that Venus, Serena and Anna are going to be playing an exhibition in November?

Venus Williams and Serena Williams, along with Anna Kournikova, will compete in the Lexus Tennis Challenge Nov. 21 at Rupp Arena, which benefits the OWL Foundation and the Tubby Smith Foundation.

The OWL Foundation, which was started by Oracene Price, mother of Venus and Serena Williams, funds programs to address the learning needs of academically at-risk youth.

"We are thrilled to be coming to Kentucky to work with the Tubby Smith Foundation," Venus Williams said. "We understand that Coach Smith's Foundation supports the same goals as the OWL Foundation."

"I have been a tremendous fan of the Williams sisters since they burst onto the tennis scene, so this is a terrific opportunity to be involved with their charity here in the Lexington community," Smith said.

The event format will feature Venus Williams against Kournikova in singles, followed by a doubles match with Serena Williams and an additional WTA Tour player, to be named later.

Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. Monday and are priced from $20 to $75 and can be purchased at all Ticketmaster locations or at the Rupp Arena box office
If Anna is playing her first singles match in over a year against Venus, for a Williams charity, then Anna must be friends with the Williams sisters.
Because Anna could earn good money playing a singles exhibition.

goldenlox
Sep 30th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Anna is on the next episode of The Apprentice. I hope she pulls that rug off of Donald Trump's head.

goldenlox
Oct 7th, 2004, 03:59 PM
I've been reading a lot about Anna today. She's on the Apprentice tonight, and she signed with a Hollywood talent agency that represents Jim Carrey, Johnny Depp, Justin Timberlake, the Olsen twins, and others.
Octagon still does her oncourt managing. Anna is branching out as a celebrity.

the cat
Oct 8th, 2004, 10:11 PM
And getting further away from tennis I'm afraid. :( Anna looked good on The Apprentice. But it doesn't mean much because Anna is not close to trying a WTA Tour comeback. But it's always nice to her her. :)

saab95
Oct 8th, 2004, 10:50 PM
first of all Anna have to beat Elton John on Monday.
Last year she couldn't

goldenlox
Oct 9th, 2004, 03:00 PM
I saw that WTT all-star event last year. The Tennis Channel showed it.
They just have fun, it's not serious tennis.
The exo with Venus will be more serious.

goldenlox
Oct 10th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Anna will play in the WTT's all star charity event at the University of California at Irvine on Monday October 11.
Agassi and Roddick are also playing.
That will be the same day Lena B./Nadia play Sveta/Lena L.
Anna should be in Moscow, at least in the doubles draw.

goldenlox
Oct 12th, 2004, 03:36 PM
The event was sold out in California, and raised more than $1.5 million.

goldenlox
Oct 14th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Anna and Enrique -

www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004472353,00.html (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004472353,00.html)

goldenlox
Oct 19th, 2004, 03:08 PM
A report on the WTT charity event -

http://horus.vcsa.uci.edu/article.php?id=2771

goldenlox
Oct 23rd, 2004, 03:16 PM
Anna and Enrique were at a Black Eyed Peas concert in Miami on Oct. 21.
I really don't know why Anna doesn't want to come back to the tour.
Three straight majors won by Russians. An all Russian KC final.
If Myskina and Dementieva can do it, you can too.

http://web.**************/images/thumbnail/3705929.jpg

goldenlox
Oct 26th, 2004, 02:39 PM
A new interview with Anna from October -

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page3/story?page=turner/kournikova

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2004, 03:46 PM
http://www.tvpredictions.com/babes102704.html

goldenlox
Oct 30th, 2004, 03:36 PM
I think Anna is busy strategizing -

http://img91.exs.cx/img91/4255/beach8.jpg

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:39 PM
Anna has written her latest journal entry -

www.kournikova.com/journal/journal32.php (http://www.kournikova.com/journal/journal32.php)

the cat
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:11 PM
It doesn't seem Anna is intent on trying a tennis comeback next year. :(
Hi Golden Girl Goldenlox! :wavey: I figured I would post here to break up the monotony of you having the last 10 posts in this thread. ;)

JC Federer
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:54 PM
Anna must be getting tired of being served breadsticks and bagels and wants a more wholesome diet.

It would be interesting to see how her tennis skills match up against Myskina or Sharapova though. That would be an interesting match indeed. Battle of the russian glamour girls. Except one of them has talent.

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:55 PM
You need to get lost.

the cat
Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:20 PM
JC, Anna had better hands for volleying and touch shots than either Myskina or Sharapova. And Anna had the misfortune of breaking into women's tennis the same time as Hingis and the Williams sisters. :(

goldenlox
Nov 7th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Anna shopping in Beverly Hills a few weeks ago -

http://200.57.71.50/clasos/presenta_historia.php?IdHistoria=31268

goldenlox
Nov 8th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Anna will play against Venus, then play doubles with Serena on November 21 -

http://kournikova.quickfound.net/anna_kournikova_index.html

the cat
Nov 8th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Anna looks good but she looks too thin for a women's tennis player.

alias
Nov 9th, 2004, 08:48 PM
http://img49.exs.cx/img49/1536/kournikova05.th.jpg (http://img49.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img49&image=kournikova05.jpg)

http://img85.exs.cx/img85/2483/kournikova06.th.jpg (http://img85.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img85&image=kournikova06.jpg)

:wavey:

goldenlox
Nov 13th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Anna and Enrique at the Miami/Dallas basketball game this week -

http://img25.exs.cx/img25/554/ShowLetter41.jpg

goldenlox
Nov 14th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Another picture of Anna and Enrique at basketball game -

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/041112/ids_photos_sp/r1813475713.jpg

goldenlox
Nov 17th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Anna is going to play Venus on Sunday at Rupp Arena in Kentucky.
Are you training hard?

the cat
Nov 17th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Marya? Where did you get that one? ;) And I'm not sure I like you calling GL by her special name. :p

Daniel
Nov 18th, 2004, 07:50 AM
:lol:

Seems Anna enjoys Miami a lot :bounce:

is is true she is playing Venus?? if so then Good luck Anna :yeah:

goldenlox
Nov 18th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Anna at her last exhibition -

http://www.dailyceleb.com/production/?view=event&eid=2563&cap=anna+kournikova

shannonannafan
Nov 18th, 2004, 05:28 PM
:bounce: GOOD LUCK TO ANNA ON SUNDAY!!!:bounce:

Nastya's sister
Nov 19th, 2004, 03:53 PM
This thread is so funny!

Here's the first post here!

I miss our girl very much. Hope she'll play as soon as Leipzig. Go Anna!

NOTHING has changed! NOTHING ever will! 427 posts in vain!

goldenlox
Nov 19th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Go Anna!

Nastya's sister
Nov 19th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Go to more sporting events so the paparazzi can catch you eating Enrique's tongue!

goldenlox
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Anna plays singles on Sunday. A rematch of the 1998 Key Biscayne final.
Udachi Anya!

Nastya's sister
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Anna should go back to playing old retired players! It's more fun when your opponent doesn't let you win!

goldenlox
Nov 19th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Anna should have fun, and enjoy her life. :D :D
And if she wants to play tennis, she should play these kinds of charity events.
Everyone wins!:D :D :bounce: :bounce:

apoet29
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Which is it GL? In one post, you say that Anna should come back and play. In another, you say she should just enjoy her life. Which would you prefer?

KV
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Great she's playing V. Williams give it your best shot. Pretty sure Anna won't be losing by 1 & 0

Nastya's sister
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Which is it GL? In one post, you say that Anna should come back and play. In another, you say she should just enjoy her life. Which would you prefer?
Whichever is the opposite of what I say! :p

the cat
Nov 20th, 2004, 12:28 AM
I think GL prefers that Anna enjoy her life. But I'll let GL speak for herself.
I prefer Anna get into shape and make a serious WTA Tour comeback attempt. But I don't think it will happen.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2004, 02:19 PM
If Anna wants to come back, then she should come back.
It's up to her. But the overall goal is to enjoy your life.

Nastya's sister
Nov 20th, 2004, 05:28 PM
How do we know Anna enjoys her life? She can enjoy her life playing tennis, as well.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Here are pictures of Anna from a charity event in October -

http://www.filmmagic.com/ItemListing.aspx?cgl=80093&str=6808&styp=clbi&navtyp=gls

goldenlox
Nov 22nd, 2004, 02:37 PM
Anna lost to Venus 6-3, 6-2. Then she said "Sorry, I wasn't in the best physical shape."
But if you start training hard now, you can get a WC for the AO.

Daniel
Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:36 AM
train now Anna, but i doubt she is thinking of playing the AO.

KV
Nov 23rd, 2004, 04:34 PM
Not a too bad result vs. Venus. Stay healthy for a change. Lots of players did worse vs. Venus even top 30 ranked players. Some good signs :)

apoet29
Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:24 PM
Not a too bad result vs. Venus. Stay healthy for a change. Lots of players did worse vs. Venus even top 30 ranked players. Some good signs :)
It is a good result, but you have to keep in mind that this was an exhibition match, not a WTA-sanctioned match. I'm sure that Venus probably took it easy on Anna, keeping that in mind. However, having said that, an Anna board member, who went to the match, said that Anna played much better than she did when he saw her this past summer. While her serve still has problems, she was placing it much better and her movement is still good. So there is room to hope and for improvement if she chooses to return.

I just hope that she says something sooner rather than later. I hate seeing her play an exhibition match and then go months without any other word about her tennis.

Big Dave
Nov 23rd, 2004, 06:00 PM
Come back and play doubles with Maria Sharapova!!!

What a team that would be! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Daniel
Nov 24th, 2004, 06:28 AM
a hot team :drool: :lick: :hearts:

goldenlox
Nov 26th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Anna and Enrique, November 23 in Beverly Hills -

http://img5.exs.cx/img5/5769/EA2.jpg

ALPHA
Nov 27th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Come back and play doubles with Maria Sharapova!!!

What a team that would be! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

I Read in GM that Hingis' scheduled to play a doubles match exhibition in Zaragoza this off-season ...

... uhm ... Spice Girls ? anyone ?! :worship:

the cat
Nov 27th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Anna played well in her exhibtion match against Venus. :) She was trim and moving well and hitting the ball well too. She made her usual unforced errors but I was suprised how well she played especially considering her inactivity and Venus was playing all out all court power tennis. Venus beat Anna 6-3 6-2 but it was a very competitive match and Anna served pretty well too.

Daniel
Nov 28th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Anna should come back in 2005 !!! :bounce:

goldenlox
Dec 2nd, 2004, 04:36 PM
I thought Anna played pretty well, considering the time off.
The only way to get match tough is to enter tournaments.
And no one is expecting you to come back in top form. Just enter, and play a few matches. See how you do.
Leave the shopping to me.:D

Daniel
Dec 4th, 2004, 06:04 AM
I Read in GM that Hingis' scheduled to play a doubles match exhibition in Zaragoza this off-season ...

... uhm ... Spice Girls ? anyone ?! :worship:
i would love to see that again :drool: :bounce:

goldenlox
Dec 4th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Fox Sports Net has a show called Sports List. They named the sexiest athletes in the world.
Anna was #1.
Anna plays in Andy Roddick's charity event on December 11&12.

goldenlox
Dec 6th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Anna made another journal entry at her official website.
I hope this means she's coming back in 2005-

http://kournikova.com/journal/journal33.php

the cat
Dec 6th, 2004, 03:20 PM
I just read her latest journal entry and I didn't read anything that would give me the idea that she was planning a 2005 comeback. I hope Anna tries 1 more comeback because she played well against Venus and looked to be moving well. But Venus played too big for Anna and won 6-3 6-2. Anna can still play WTA Tour tennis. But the question is does she want to?

goldenlox
Dec 6th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Anna has nothing to lose if she comes back. Expectations are low.
Any wins would be news. But it's a lot of work.

the cat
Dec 6th, 2004, 03:28 PM
If Anna came back and one just 1 Tier IV tournament she would be treated great and people would look at her in a different light. But she has to really want to comeback and I have my doubts. Anna has a good life and lives the good life and she might not want to give that up for a tennis comeback.

goldenlox
Dec 6th, 2004, 03:35 PM
The good thing about tennis is that a lot of players retire as millionaires.
Since she still is playing exhibitions, I think Anna is training.
She might as well enter a WTA event.

the cat
Dec 6th, 2004, 04:00 PM
I would think the WTA Tour would desperately want Anna to come back and play just 10 tournaments. The interest and the buzz her return would bring would be a big lift to women's tennis. :)

goldenlox
Dec 6th, 2004, 04:10 PM
It certainly couldn't hurt to have Anna back.
She'll love reading my comments after I see her play.:D

apoet29
Dec 6th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Anna has nothing to lose if she comes back. Expectations are low.
Any wins would be news. But it's a lot of work.
I agree, but there is a huge part of me that thinks the success of the Russians this year is one of the reasons that Anna isn't going to return. While Anna would get some praise for trying, the press would insist on comparing her to the Russian GS winners, particularly Sharapova by asking Anna, "How come you couldn't do that?" I really think that there is a big part of Anna, who has dealt with negative press over the last four years, that doesn't want to deal with that.

At the beginning of the year, Anna spoke constantly of returning this year in the spring or summer. After Myskina won the French, Anna spoke of returning in January and after Sharapova won Wimbledon, Anna spoke of not returning at all. I'm not saying that they are the complete reason, but I do think their success is one of the reasons she probably won't return.

apoet29
Dec 6th, 2004, 06:12 PM
I would think the WTA Tour would desperately want Anna to come back and play just 10 tournaments. The interest and the buzz her return would bring would be a big lift to women's tennis. :)
I think the WTA would want her to return too. However, no player is bigger than the sport. Anna hasn't played a WTA even for more than 19 months and the tour has done just fine without her, particularly with the rise of the other Russian players.

If Anna returns, it has to be because she wants to play competitively again, not because she feels some obligation to the tour.

the cat
Dec 6th, 2004, 06:37 PM
You make good points apoet. But while Anna is not bigger than the sport of women's tennis her ending her WTA Tour career at such a young age has hurt the WTA Tour. She is the most famous female athlete in the world and she's not even playing WTA Tiur tennis.

apoet29
Dec 6th, 2004, 06:43 PM
You make good points apoet. But while Anna is not bigger than the sport of women's tennis her ending her WTA Tour career at such a young age has hurt the WTA Tour. She is the most famous female athlete in the world and she's not even playing WTA Tiur tennis.
Cat, I really don't see the link between Anna playing and the WTA tour's promotion of the sport. Since Anna left, the void she left behind has been filled by Maria Sharapova and other young athletes. Besides Anna's fame does not extend to winning titles, but to her sexy image. The WTA made a huge mistake in promoting Anna over more deserving players and sadly, they still haven't learned from that mistake. Her image had nothing to do with sport and everything to do with her own self-promotion. By the time Anna played her last match, most of the press and most of the public had written her off as a loser who couldn't even win matches anymore. That is sad and undeserving, but it is the truth. Most people, who went to her matches, went to see her lose. I do wonder how much this negativity affected her desire to return to tennis.

ALPHA
Dec 6th, 2004, 09:32 PM
If Anna came back and one just 1 Tier IV tournament she would be treated great and people would look at her in a different light.

[...]

Don't agree at all. Media has its new darling in Sharapova, there's no need to resurrect AnnaK. If their standards are anything to go by, the editors will release the well-known kick-her-down-in-the-mud "articles" as far as Anna is concerned, even if she wins a Tier-I.

Bottom line: AnnaK will be in a no-win situation actually. Whatever she does and whatever she might accomplish in a comeback attempt, it will be put down by the press.

ALPHA
Dec 6th, 2004, 09:48 PM
[...]

Anna hasn't played a WTA even for more than 19 months and the tour has done just fine without her, particularly with the rise of the other Russian players.

[...]

Sorry, but the tour has NOT done just fine ... certainly, it's not about AnnaK alone, far from it. But the disappearance of first Kournikova and Hingis, then Seles, finally Clijsters and Henin was disaster of tennis sports marketing and the quality of womens tennis. If you are serious about it, you'll confess that.

[...]

If Anna returns, it has to be because she wants to play competitively again, not because she feels some obligation to the tour.

Agree 100% ! She won't comeback because of money, she won't comeback because public thinks of her as THE personified loser, she won't comeback because some friends, family or fans want her to play tennis again.
If she ever makes a "last stand" in tennis' land (poetry ?), she'll play tennis simply because she loves to PLAY TENNIS.

ALPHA
Dec 6th, 2004, 09:51 PM
[...]

That is sad and undeserving, but it is the truth.

[...]

A ? What is it now? Sad and underserving OR the truth?

apoet29
Dec 6th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Sorry, but the tour has NOT done just fine ... certainly, it's not about AnnaK alone, far from it. But the disappearance of first Kournikova and Hingis, then Seles, finally Clijsters and Henin was disaster of tennis sports marketing and the quality of womens tennis. If you are serious about it, you'll confess that.
I am serious about it and you have to be kidding yourself if you think the tour missed Clijsters or Henin-Hardenne. Neither player has ever been promoted by the tour to any extent, which is a shame considering how marvelous both women are. So their absence, except by tennis fans, really wasn't acknowledged by the tour. Hingis and Kournikova were missed, but their roles were fulfilled by Myskina and Sharapova.

That is what I mean. There is no player that is bigger than the sport.

apoet29
Dec 6th, 2004, 11:56 PM
A ? What is it now? Sad and underserving OR the truth?
What I meant was that how Anna has been treated by the press and tennis fans is sad and undeserving, but the truth of the matter is that is how fans and the press acts. I didn't mean that Anna is a loser.

goldenlox
Dec 7th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Anyone who thinks tennis is thriving now is kidding themselves.
Of course, the tour won't fold up and disappear, even if the top 100 all retired tomorrow.
But Anna returning can only be a positive.
It would definately be a news story, not just a tennis story.

apoet29
Dec 7th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Anyone who thinks tennis is thriving now is kidding themselves.
Of course, the tour won't fold up and disappear, even if the top 100 all retired tomorrow.
But Anna returning can only be a positive.
It would definately be a news story, not just a tennis story.
I'm sorry if I am not one of those who thinks that the tour is not thriving. I think it has done quite well this year with the emergence of the Russians and the return of the Williams sisters. Of course, the return of Hingis and Kournikova would be wonderful for the tour. But no player is bigger than the tour and frankly, the tour has done a piss poor job of promoting its players like Henin-Hardenne, Clijsters, Mauresmo, etc. The tour is only interested in promoting T & A instead of tennis, which is a shame. If the tour would evenly distribution its promotion of its players between the sex symbols and the elite players, the job of promoting the tour wouldn't lay so heavily on a few players. So until that changes, the tour will always have issues no matter who is playing.

Having said that, I hope that if Anna returns, she will be greeted in a positive manner by the press and the fans. Somehow, I really doubt that.

Daniel
Dec 8th, 2004, 08:09 AM
if Anna comes back she will have the media all over her, no matter if she wins or losses matches , her name itself calls attention and in some cases more than other acomplished Russian players, for example, Anna and Sveta in the same tournamet, Anna sells more than Sveta.

goldenlox
Dec 8th, 2004, 02:50 PM
If I can't find YEC results in my sports section, tennis isn't thriving.
And the response to Anna will be the same as always. People want to see her play tennis.

Here's Anna and Enrique on a magazine cover -

http://www.russianmags.com/images/hello_enrique%20Iglesias.jpg

alias
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:43 PM
If Anna returns to tennis the media will not give her a break unless she wins a tornament. I thinks that is the main reason she won't make a comeback. I don't think she would want to answers those questions of why can't she win, and I'm sure they'll bring up Sharapova.

I don't think tennis is thriving either, It seemed a lot more popular when Hingis, Anna the Williams sister's were playing. I also thinks it's funny that Maria doesn't seem to be on the same fame level that Anna was/is on, even though she's won the big tournaments.

apoet29
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:56 PM
If Anna returns to tennis the media will not give her a break unless she wins a tornament. I thinks that is the main reason she won't make a comeback. I don't think she would want to answers those questions of why can't she win, and I'm sure they'll bring up Sharapova.

I don't think tennis is thriving either, It seemed a lot more popular when Hingis, Anna the Williams sister's were playing. I also thinks it's funny that Maria doesn't seem to be on the same fame level that Anna was/is on, even though she's won the big tournaments.
I agree with your first point.

As to your second, tennis was having these same problems when Anna and Hingis were playing. It is ironic to me that people seem to forget that.

Maria will never reach Anna's level of fame. Anna is a phenomenon as a media star that will never be repeated. Maria will be famous, but not on Anna's level. That's probably for the best. I think that level of fame was too much of a burden for Anna to handle.

apoet29
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:57 PM
If I can't find YEC results in my sports section, tennis isn't thriving.
And the response to Anna will be the same as always. People want to see her play tennis.

Here's Anna and Enrique on a magazine cover -

http://www.russianmags.com/images/hello_enrique%20Iglesias.jpg
I have never found YEC results in my local newspapers sports section even when Anna was playing. What's your point?

People just want to see Anna. Most people don't care whether she plays or not.

goldenlox
Dec 8th, 2004, 05:00 PM
My point is, Anna will bring in non-tennis fans. The sport needs that.
Anna doesn't care what the tennis media write.
No one but us read those clowns anyway.

goldenlox
Dec 9th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Anna is not on the Gold Exempt list, while Seles has emeritus status.
So I guess Anna is not planning on coming back for a full season in 2005.

goldenlox
Dec 9th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Anna and Enrique in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, several weeks ago -

http://popdirt.com/article33544.html

ALPHA
Dec 9th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by ALPHA

... the disappearance of first Kournikova and Hingis, then Seles, finally Clijsters and Henin was disaster of tennis sports marketing and the quality of womens tennis. ...

I am serious about it and you have to be kidding yourself if you think the tour missed Clijsters or Henin-Hardenne. Neither player has ever been promoted by the tour to any extent, which is a shame considering how marvelous both women are. So their absence, except by tennis fans, really wasn't acknowledged by the tour.

[...]

Thanks for your response, first of all. But read carefully, please. I agree about WTA's lack of promotion regarding the Belgians (and other top-players), but I refered to their role in producing a higher level of tennis (quality).

[...]

Hingis and Kournikova were missed, but their roles were fulfilled by Myskina and Sharapova.

[...]

I see where you come from as far as Sharapova and Kournikova are concerned, but you must be kidding if you think Myskina steped in Hingis foot steps - in quality of tennis, style of tennis or popularity.

Daniel
Dec 10th, 2004, 07:40 AM
It is wrong to say Myskina comes even close to Hingis. Nastya has much more to prove and to achieve to be put in the same sentence with Hingis.

goldenlox
Dec 13th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Anna was at Roddick's charity event, but didn't play tennis.
She was there to help the fundraising.
And she said she would do more charity work.:D :bounce:

the cat
Dec 13th, 2004, 02:41 PM
I wish Anna would go to Australia to start the 2005 season. But that's not going to happen.

Daniel
Dec 14th, 2004, 05:41 AM
the cat : hello :wavey:

goldenlox
Dec 14th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Anna was quoted by Wertheim as saying - "Tennis is a job, 24/7"
Tennis is like an addiction to the players. They live for it, all day, every day.
It's hard work, and you have to want to bust your tail to get near the top.

Daniel
Dec 15th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Did Anna Kournikova marry beau?
December 14, 2004 3:09 PM EST
HOLLYWOOD, Dec 14, 2004 (United Press International via COMTEX) The upcoming edition of US Weekly reports former tennis pro Anna Kournikova secretly married singer Enrique Iglesias in Mexico.
The magazine coming out Friday quotes Kournikova telling fans at a tennis event: Enrique is great. Everything is awesome. We are married, Entertainment Tonight reported Tuesday.
In addition, the magazine says Kourikova was wearing a wedding band at the event, ET said.
US Weekly says Kournikova, 23, and Iglesia, 29, tied the knot in a private ceremony a few weeks ago in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. (Edited by Frank Riley)

goldenlox
Dec 15th, 2004, 02:29 PM
I don't know why this is news, now. They should save this for when Enrique's next CD comes out.
Then he could use this publicity.

the cat
Dec 15th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Congrats to Anna and Enrique on their marriage. :)

Hi Daniel. :wavey:

Daniel
Dec 16th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Congrats Anna :kiss:

hope Enrique makes her happy :hug:

goldenlox
Dec 16th, 2004, 04:12 PM
I think Anna likes to have fun. :D
The tour is hard work.
Don't read my nonsense, Anna. Get back to work!:wavey:

Daniel
Dec 17th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Vamos Anna, come back :bounce:

goldenlox
Dec 18th, 2004, 02:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=annak/cardriver

goldenlox
Dec 22nd, 2004, 02:46 PM
Anna in USA Today -

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2004-12-21-kournikova-iglesias_x.htm?POE=LIFISVA

goldenlox
Dec 27th, 2004, 02:09 PM
I just read that Anna's mom bought a $1.4 million home in Palm Beach Florida.
In her name only, so no dad sharing ownership.

Daniel
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Thanks GL :)

goldenlox
Dec 28th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Anna, I want a ride in the red Porsche

http://www.starmagazine.com/news/61545

the cat
Dec 28th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Sorry GL, but that ride is reserved for Masha. :D ;)

goldenlox
Dec 29th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Maria will be taking a cab, with her dad. I want the Porsche ride.

the cat
Dec 29th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Maria and cab don't go together. But Maria and Limousine do. ;) And leave her dad out of it.

goldenlox
Dec 29th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Leave Maria out of it. This ride is for Anna and me:drive:

goldenlox
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Anna's mom has some serious money -

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/business/content/business/epaper/2004/12/27/a3bz_pg3kournikova_1227.html

the cat
Dec 30th, 2004, 10:15 PM
I bet Alla took a good chunk of Anna earnings when Anna was a player.

goldenlox
Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:42 PM
Here are pictures of Anna from Roddick's charity event at Boca Raton, December 12 -

http://www.shotnews.com/web/tema.asp?tema=Tema9918481