PDA

View Full Version : For all those liars who said there are no crowd in LA

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:02 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021106/capt.1036629186wta_championships_las105.jpg

ha, in your face I spot three people there.

:p

Crazy Canuck
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:54 AM
NO kidding.

Clearly LA was far more deserving than those Germans, who didn't even show up.

*wink*

Crazy Canuck
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:55 AM
Seriously though - 200 people? That is what I read on yahoo.. is that right?

I mean sheesh - mens doubles on court two at the Toronto masters series, often had more spectators than that on the Wednesday :p

GoDominique
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:59 AM
'FEWER than 200', that's what yahoo said. Hmmm, probably 101. ;)

Any match being part of something called 'Championships' should have a much bigger crowd. Period.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:05 AM
Joy - You'll have to forgive me for not considering the mens double pairing of Damm and Suk, to be the most exciting twosome.

And they outdrew top ten players in the wta? LMAO!

Someone should really help the WTA with it's marketting strategy :p

Crazy Canuck
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:07 AM
Furthermore - the fact that American's don't show up to see on of their own (Chanda) vs a top ten player (Kim), in what WAS potentially a good match (it ended up being a lopsided scoreline, but that doesn't explain why hardly anyone was there to see it) - is dissapointing to say the least.

Love-seles
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:18 AM
Madison square gardens did a 100 times better then this on the first day for years, LA is a flop if no big crowds are there for Monica and Davenport tonight, well they are already a flop,
pitiful day attendence.

HAIL-VENUS
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:18 AM
Don't you know by now that Americans don't really care about THEIR OWN when it comes to tennis? ;) But seriously, I am very disappointed with the lack of attendance so far. I'm sure that the seats will fill as the tournament gets closer to the finals.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:24 AM
So who wants to do the honours of bumping up all the "Germany doesn't deserve the tournament, those awful people don't show up!" threads ? :D

GoDominique
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:26 AM
Later mabye, Becca, I have already had enough fun tonight. ;)

Nov 7th, 2002, 02:26 AM
I hate to say it, but yes, I think the WTA need Anna K there

Nov 7th, 2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by wongqks
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021106/capt.1036629186wta_championships_las105.jpg

ha, in your face I spot three people there.

:p

FUCKING HELL!!!!! It was literally 200 (including players, WTA staff, security etc)...well, Kim's coach said the tournament had been badly organised. Obviously the organisation of publicity was bad too

jojoseph
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:53 AM
Terrible promoting job, for sure.

How embarrassing. I would expect atleast a lot more tonight. If not, then the championships belong in Europe.

Nov 7th, 2002, 02:55 AM
...or Australia :p

HAIL-VENUS
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:58 AM
OMG!!! This is so freaking pathetic!!! It's so terribly empty. I was just watching Mary Jo interviewing Kim Clijsters after her win, and I swear there were only about 25 people in the stands, and most of them were cleaning up!!!! Who in the hell failed to promote this event? They should be fired!!!

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:08 AM
I am sorry to hear this terrible news that WTA once again fail to do their job, well done. It seems like they are real entrepreneur working in behing the scenes in WTA :rolleyes:

PhoenixStorm
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:08 AM
wta needs new management. Who is the fool who moved this tournament from madison square garden?

marsha
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by PhoenixStorm
wta needs new management. Who is the fool who moved this tournament from madison square garden?

Actually, Madison Square Garden moved it from Madison Square Garden -- in that they were unwilling to accomodate the matches around their schedule of hockey games, as you may have noticed, this time has been moved up about two weeks.

But I wish there was some way it could be back in NYC -- or, even better, here in Florida -- it could've been held outside here today, perfect tennis weather! :)

Ted of Teds Tennis
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:23 AM
In July of 2001, Janet Lee caused a controversy when, after winning the Mahwah $50K Challenger, she declined her spot in the exhibition (a spot that went to the winner of the Challenger) in order to play Stanford qualifying instead. (FWIW, she lost in the final qualifying round, but she and Prakusya won the doubles.) The organizer said that nobody really cares which person from the challenger took the spot; people came to the exhibition not because they're tennis fans, but so they could say they saw [insert name of your favorite superstar here] play. By the same token, there seem to be a lot of people who go to the US Open solely to see Sampras/Agassi/Capriati/Seles/Williams sister play. (Ditto for Wimbledon and Henman.)

Unfortunately, it seems like that's what we're getting in Los Angeles. :(

Linnie
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by marsha
-- or, even better, here in Florida -- it could've been held outside here today, perfect tennis weather! :)
I second that! :D ;)

I'm watching Monica-Lindsay right now, and I totally agree, the "crowd" (and I say that loosely) is pathetic. I'm all for it going back to the Garden. I went to the Slims Championships every year they were played there, and most, if not all sessions were well attended. Does anyone know if the WTA is committed to L.A. next year? It also may be a good idea if it were played in different venues, as the ATP does it.

BigTennisFan
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:51 AM
Unfortunately, the crowds do look like they are pitifully small.
I''m going Friday Saturday and Sunday.:bounce:

I would have loved to go today and tomorrow. But there is this little thing called responsibility.

As a teacher, if I cancel my classes, 200 students miss class time that they are paying for.:eek:

I went to the LA tournament in 2001 but it was during my summer time off. Believe me, the early matches were nothing to write home about as far as attendance goes. That was the year that Monica beat Serena in the quarters and Lindsay won the whole thing.

By the way the quarters for Serena/Monica was packed. Surprise, surprise.

I don't know if Venus/Patty will bring in more spectators or not.

But I STRONGLY suspect that the latter part of the tournament will have excellent attendance; particularly if a certain set of sisters happen to meet in the final. :angel:

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:31 AM
You could pay for them too seeing you're rich ;)

JC
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:45 AM
But you know what there are already so many tennis tournaments in california so i guess we need a break. And besides the matches were so boring but ELENA LOOKED SO HOOOT. And who was the idiot who decided to start the tournament on wednesday? people do have jobs. And to be honest the WTA tour does need Anna K. example i always go to the Acura classic and when anna plays or even practices that place gets CRAZY. I don't think the williams sister will help alot unless they both make it to the final.
And finally eventhough there are many american playes in the draw many of them are not famous and are not household names like Anna. HOPE IT GETS BETTER. AND DON'T CARE WHO WINS ELENA IS OUT

Sam L
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:08 AM
I said in the beginning L.A. was a bad choice!

They should've stayed in Munich or at least moved back to New York.

With this type of turnout, I hope they move to Sydney, Australia next year, we had sellouts everyday for the Masters Cup last year :p

Crazy Canuck
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:11 AM
once again - "people have jobs" is NOT an excuse.

PEOPLE EVERYWHERE HAVE JOBS - with some small exceptions perhaps.

But, you know, last time I checked people in Europe worked too ;)

Nov 7th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Sam L
I said in the beginning L.A. was a bad choice!

They should've stayed in Munich or at least moved back to New York.

With this type of turnout, I hope they move to Sydney, Australia next year, we had sellouts everyday for the Masters Cup last year :p

...or to Melbourne :p...but I doubt it because we already have a slam

Nov 7th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by BigTennisFan
Unfortunately, the crowds do look like they are pitifully small.
I''m going Friday Saturday and Sunday.:bounce:

I would have loved to go today and tomorrow. But there is this little thing called responsibility.

As a teacher, if I cancel my classes, 200 students miss class time that they are paying for.:eek:

I went to the LA tournament in 2001 but it was during my summer time off. Believe me, the early matches were nothing to write home about as far as attendance goes. That was the year that Monica beat Serena in the quarters and Lindsay won the whole thing.

By the way the quarters for Serena/Monica was packed. Surprise, surprise.

I don't know if Venus/Patty will bring in more spectators or not.

But I STRONGLY suspect that the latter part of the tournament will have excellent attendance; particularly if a certain set of sisters happen to meet in the final. :angel:

Do they still miss the time that they're paying for if you're sick? Can't you be replaced for the day?...and there are plenty of people who are not in this situation, but there are still no crowds. This would never happen at an Australian sporting event

Nov 7th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by JC
But you know what there are already so many tennis tournaments in california so i guess we need a break.

If you don't want it, there are many other cities willing to take it off your hands

treufreund
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:17 AM
LA is filled with egocentric people who can't be bothered. Plus they are all sitting in traffic jams. INSANE that an event in THE STAPLES CENTER is such a flop. :sad: It's not like the Staples Center's events are a big secret.

JC
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:26 AM
about having too many tournaments in CAL. Am getting ready for the Indian Wells tournamant. I Mean come on i got an invitation to go the championships in LA, but did you see the prices for the entrance.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: am gonna go broke. and if they have cheap seats it's problably as far as the moon.

the cheapest packages start at $125 but you will get the upper level which is close to the moon.
and who would pay $1,250.00 per person of a ten session package? I like tennis but come on i rather wait for indian wells where is cheaper and you see hundres of tennis players wta and atp tour.

Nov 7th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Can't you just show up and buy a single-session ticket?

JC
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:31 AM
I GUESS BUT I WILL PROBLABY GET A BAD SIT.

Nov 7th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Bad seat...sorry, I can't relate to that. I actually prefer the back row in Rod Laver Arena because I can see *exactly* where every ball lands. It's like having a bird's eye view of the court...and Adelaide (Memorial Drive) only holds a few thousand people, so everything is close there.

Julian Byatt
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Bring it to Melbourne - the sporting capital of the world!!

tommyk75
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:41 AM
I think JC hit the nail on the head. I believe the main reason for the lack of people is the ridiculous ticket prices. Who would really pay that much, especially for the bad seats? I'm a diehard tennis fan who sometimes lives in L.A., and I would've just watched it on TV if I were there now. It's so funny; the daytime sessions at the lesser Manhattan Beach tournament are actually pretty well-attended thanks to the reasonable ticket prices ($20!) and the so-called "Fifth Major" can't attract 200 people. The promoters aren't being as greedy as they are being just stupid.

Monica_Rules
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:44 AM
It was quite sad to see.I thought the night session crowd would be bigger but i'm quite suprised that it was still low!

essielewis
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:46 AM
I watched the match last night and the "crowd" was embarrassing.:o Empty seats for two Americans, including the one who is supposed to the the biggest threat to the Williams domination.!!!

The same thing happen when the Fed Cup was held in Las Vegas a couple of years ago. The stands were empty.:mad:

Who says the women are more popular than the men? I bet the seats will be full in Shanghai next week.:p

gokimmie
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:55 AM
they should have it in belgium next year ,i guarantee you it would be sold out;)

Nov 7th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by gokimmie
they should have it in belgium next year ,i guarantee you it would be sold out;)

In how many threads now have we been saying the event should be moved to Belgium, Australia, Germany, ANYWHERE BUT L.A.?!!

Gallofa
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:34 PM
http://www.sanexwta.com/assets/story_image/ClijstersMJF110602.jpg

The crowds pushing to get out of the stadium after Kim's match at Staples Centre can be seen at the back of this picture. It's been reported that an old lady lost her handbag in all the pushing that took place and one child wearing a red shirt was lost amongst the masses ;)

Sharapower
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Even Venus's match did not attract the crowd. The organisators should seriously think about the reasons.
In my opinion the price of seats is the main. Acess for one session (2 or 1 singles matches) is granted for an average consideration of $100, while you get in Roland Garros Central for the whole day with 50$ and it's valuable for every matches of the day i.e. 4 our 5. The ratio is quite different.

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:48 PM
I find out something on the site

In addition to world-class tennis, here are a few other odds and ends that will be taking place during the Home Depot Championships Presented by Porsche at STAPLES Center.

Mon. Nov. 4
A Salute to Corina Morariu - Join WTA Tour Charities, countless celebrities and WTA Tour players in their salute to Corina Morariu's courage in her successful battle with acute promyelocytic leukemia and provide support to cancer research and treatment. The evening's events kick-off at 6 pm at The Fairmont Miramar Hotel Santa Monica with a VIP cocktail reception and silent auction followed by dinner and runway fashion show presented by Poleci with a special music performance by Vonda Shepard. For ticket information call 213-241-7399. It's an event not to be missed!

Wed. Nov. 6
Seniors Day - All seniors enjoy a group discount by ordering in advance by calling 1-866-524-7687.

Thu. Nov. 7
Kids Day - Bring your school out to a fun filled day of tennis. Enjoy group lessons, meet a player and watch world class tennis. Tickets start a $10.00 for groups. Call 1-866-524-7687.

Junior Challenge - Cheer along as two top local junior players play for top honors against two tournament pros in between the day session matches.

Police Fire Night - Come watch as your local police and fire forces compete with one another to see which team has the fastest serve! The competition will take place between the night session matches.

Fri. Nov. 8
Wheelchair Tennis Exhibition - Watch as two top local wheelchair tennis players play a pro set with a WTA Tour doubles team. The competition will take place between the day session matches.

Sat. Nov. 9
Raising a Racquet Against Women's Cancer - Join Cedars-Sinai Women's Cancer Research Institute in fighting women's cancers. A portion of the proceeds will benefit local researchers. Call 1-866-524-7687 for more information.

City of Hope Night - Watch world-class tennis and support the local City of Hope. Call 1-866-524-7687 to see how you can support this wonderful organization.

Week-long Activities
Pro Kennex Fast Serve Challenge - How fast is your serve ? Stop by the Pro Kennex Fast Serve Challenge booth located on the main concourse inside STAPLES Center to test your speed.

Player Autograph Sessions - Player's will be on hand to sign autographs each day and night session Wednesday - Saturday at the Player Autograph Booth located on the main concourse inside STAPLES Center.

So the problem is what is wrong in their policy?

Sharapower
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Or does the crowd find the WTA tour boring ??? (I guess this post will provoke a fight).

wongqks
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:01 PM
quasimodo, I disagree with you,

If so many households can turn on their TV to watch venus and Serena, and had superior TV ratings than ATP, then it is not the crowd who find WTA boring.

Why was New York csuch a success in all those years even when people proclaim tennis was dead? Why the year when Venus and Serena missed the championship in 2000 attract 96,000 people for the whole week long play?

It was a clear administrative problem, I know it is hard for some ATP fans coz men tennis has always been criticise and yet have a lot of crowd beckon especially in Europe, however to say that WTA is no longer popular is just plain ignorance.

I like ATP and I like WTA as well, but it is clear that ATP has always had a better management than WTA. I am not blaming everything on the management but I do think it play a huge part. They did not do enough market research before they decide to moce it from NY, and now they will continue to change it until one day when they LUCKILY got it right

gweeny
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:02 PM
That is a little dissapointing that the women cannot generata a bigger crowd on their own (without the male being in the same tournament)

But from what I have been reading, I don't think that the WTA tour is boring, it seems that the problem begins with the management and tournament directors.

I also think that more Europeans like tennis (will be willing to pay an hefty price) than Americans.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Well I don't imagine that the crowd finds the WTA boring.

It's the 10 million people in the area that don't seem to care ;)

Sharapower
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:07 PM
LOL, I was joking, I know it ain't boring. I was just attempting to provoke some paranoiac reactions from some people of this forum :D

Sharapower
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by wongqks
I like ATP and I like WTA as well, but it is clear that ATP has always had a better management than WTA. I am not blaming everything on the management but I do think it play a huge part. They did not do enough market research before they decide to moce it from NY, and now they will continue to change it until one day when they LUCKILY got it right I don't think it is that difficult to make the appropriate market research : they just have to identify the regions were ordinary tournaments have the biggest attendance and fix the appropriate prices of seats, which is not necessarily the highest. The tennis-economy is quite different from the american sports economy (which is profit, profit, profit), same for the public. I guess they treated these championships like an NBA or NCAA event which obviously doesn't work.

The thing I find very strange is that Indian Wells which is not so far gets a respectable audience. Where are all these tennis fans ?

Mercury Rising
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by quasimodo

The thing I find very strange is that Indian Wells which is not so far gets a respectable audience. Where are all these tennis fans ?
Earning money for the next IW? ;)

BelgianGirl
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by gokimmie

Hi Eva!:wavey:
I just said that too in another thread! (without seeing your post first!) I really think there would be a full crowd most of the time! :p

Serendy Willick
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Just as I figured, the crowd had more in the night matches. Heres an exerpt from the Yahoo article.

The crowd for the night matches, Seles-Davenport and Williams-Schnyder, was estimated at 5,000. The two afternoon matches had drawn only 200 or so spectators to Staples Center, which seats around 20,000.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:40 PM
500 would be closer to the mark

5000 :rolleyes:

Sharapower
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg
500 would be closer to the mark

5000 :rolleyes: Yep !!!

miranda_lou
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:04 PM

They must have all been sitting BEHIND the cameras, cause they sure weren't in front.:rolleyes: There couldn't have been more than 500-1000 in the 20,000 set Staples Center from what I saw on television.