PDA

View Full Version : 6 DFs in one game!

gentenaire
Nov 6th, 2002, 10:45 PM
Kim just broke Chanda's serve thanks to all these double faults.

BB
Nov 6th, 2002, 10:48 PM
I never saw something like that, not even AnnaK did it in her bad time :o

fleemkeģ
Nov 6th, 2002, 11:53 PM
I could win that game i think ;)

Brian Stewart
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:18 AM
Even more amazing was that she actually had a couple of game points in that game. She could have won a game while DF'ing 6 times!
Gaby once held serve while hitting 7 DF in a game! :eek:

I said this summer that Chanda's serve wasn't up to snuff yet. And it looks like that couple of weeks of training she lost right before the indoor season has exacerbated matters.

That's one record (DF in a game) that I'd just as soon go unchallenged, at least by my fave.

Vincent
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:23 AM
6 DFs?:rolleyes:
even worse than me:p
oh yes, i get one one game from a top 20 player.;)

Rocketta
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Brian Stewart
Even more amazing was that she actually had a couple of game points in that game. She could have won a game while DF'ing 6 times!
Gaby once held serve while hitting 7 DF in a game! :eek:

I said this summer that Chanda's serve wasn't up to snuff yet. And it looks like that couple of weeks of training she lost right before the indoor season has exacerbated matters.

That's one record (DF in a game) that I'd just as soon go unchallenged, at least by my fave.

why did Chanda lose a couple of weeks of training before the indoor season? I missed what happend to her so ........What Happend?

Nov 7th, 2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by ferrero
6 DFs?:rolleyes:
even worse than me:p
oh yes, i get one one game from a top 20 player.;)

LMAO!

Josh
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:44 AM
I wonder if it could have had something to do with the lightning? All 4 players hit a lot of double faults, especially at the start of the match. So maybe it was a question of getting used to it?

Nov 7th, 2002, 12:46 AM
lightning? I'm assuming that you mean lighting. No lightning indoors

Love-seles
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:49 AM
LOL-

Josh
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:53 AM
Oops, yeah I'm sure DF's would be the least of their worries if it were lightning :o

leslie
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:54 AM
They only bring on their best when playing a Williams and that includes Chanda. What a pity.

Brian Stewart
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Actually, it wasn't something that happened to her specifically, but it was something that affected her.

She took about a month off after the US Open. When players take these one-month sabaticals, the first half is usually time to just relax, recuperate, recharge. And the coach gets to go home to see his/her family. It's usually the last couple of weeks that they resume intense training.

Unfortunately for Chanda, during that last 2 weeks, her hometown was devastated. First, severe storms came through and did major damage. Then, just when they're getting cleaned up from that, a Hurricane slams into the town. So she basically lost her training time for the indoor season. Even had she found a working facility somewhere, it's doubtful her mind would have been on business.

We've seen it this fall. Chanda's been missing that little bit that makes the difference between winning the close games and losing them. She's lost a lot of those tight games this fall.

It doesn't take much. Look at RG this year. Justine was deservedly one of the favorites for the title. Unfortunately, she got ill, was below par, and lost her opening match. Had she not gotten sick, she might have been holding the trophy at the end.

That's what makes things so disappointing. Chanda could have (and should have) been finishing up in the top 10. And what's irritating is that, given the lack of respect she's always received from the media, she'll be judged based on her worst performances. Today's match is a good example. Most of the games were nailbiters that could have gone either way. The sets could have gone either way. A knowledgable tennis writer would say that it was a tight match in which one player managed to capture most of the big points. History tells me that won't be the case.

Keith
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:51 PM
I've double faulted more than six times in a game...I guarantee it, LOL. And I won the game too. It was in doubles...and it happened to me again this year...but I think I wound up losing that game, that time.

RAA
Nov 7th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Well, I hope that Chanda gets her game back on track. when she was on this summer, it was so pretty to watch. Her serve was just terrible last night. I couldn't believe it.
actually Brian, I thought the ESPN commentators (Cliff et al) did say a few times that the match was closer than the score would have you think...
but I too was sad that Chanda didn't perform that well. I was looking forward to her showcasing her talent on this large stage..
anyway, good luck to her in 2003.