PDA

View Full Version : LA better than Munich ? At least the public is the same - noone is there

ChrisGermany
Nov 6th, 2002, 08:02 PM
What a shock this is. Isnīt it that they promised sell out crowds even in the morning ?! I know about the early matches and problems to get a capacity crowd in every part of the world, but with what they promised and how it was promoted here and how they badly criticized US for not showing up - what is THIS ?

This is a bad joke, sorry to say that.

Tonight, crowds will be there, for sure, but what makes the difference then.

saphir1
Nov 6th, 2002, 08:04 PM
hey, in Munich the crowd was much better!

Iconoclast
Nov 6th, 2002, 08:11 PM
You can find $10K's with better attendance.

I'm not too keen on the color scheme either. It doesn't signal the special status of the tournament, looks like an average European indoor set-up with the green and the blue.

ChrisGermany
Nov 6th, 2002, 08:12 PM
But we lack that entusiasm regarding local players I suppose that was the only reason. With the Belgians, Slovakian and Russian girls coming up, same as Amelie and Nathalie Dechy, leaving the event in Europe/Munich was one thing, having lost Huber was another thing. I think itīs good bringing it to the US but with all the hype they caused, some bitterness at least is necessary that the job we did the same as now - itīs all about business reasons therefore, not a lock of our support for the event.

Double Fault
Nov 6th, 2002, 08:45 PM
I prefer the tourny in LA. Selfishly. The matches are live when I'm in. The Munich matches were on when I was at work. Except the Final and that wasn't even played.

Guay
Nov 6th, 2002, 08:53 PM
the only aspect where L.A. is better than Munich to me, is because the matches are in a time more suitable to see for the people who lives in the American continent (as is my case).
I don't see another differences

earthcrystal
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:37 PM
How many sour grapes threads does this make? (I've lost count).

BB
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:40 PM
I'm laughing to death, there were more ppl in Leipzig for the quali :p this is a joke, poor Kim!

Helen Lawson
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Maybe it is the time of year. I do not know about you, but does anyone really care who wins this tournament? It almost seems like an exhibition to me. But MSG always looked full. Maybe NYC just has more tennis fans.

BB
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:53 PM
hey man it was the "nearly" the same in NY, the MSG looked often empty tpp, but well it's much bigger I know...maybe the tix are too expensive. I would never go to a Masters, just to the stars...

ChrisGermany
Nov 6th, 2002, 10:16 PM
DoubleFault, do only you in America count ?

Seles vs Davenport is at 4 in the morning here in Europe, there will always be parts of the world where the match schedule will be the factor.

Double Fault
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by ChrisGermany
DoubleFault, do only you in America count ?

ChrisGermany. I could ask you the same thing. Do only you in Germany count? Of course I was speaking for myself ONLY. That's why I said "selfishly"

Last BUT NOT LEAST I'm not even in the USA. You assume too much my friend.

anton
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:26 PM
concerning this title, people in the usa don't really use the term "the public" but this seems to be popular in Europe. I think people in the USA would say "people" or "everybody" or maybe "society". sorry that was just on my mind as Hingis and other European players also seems to like to use this word when referring to people in the open in general.

ASV
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:30 PM
i like it. it was the first day. big deal. the staples center is huge. even with it half full it will look empty. its just the venue. and i think that it seems like 'just a tournament' because of the crowd. don't worry, itll get MUCH better ;)

bobcat
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:48 PM
There is no way that they promised sellout crowds.
The Staples Center is huge. In the past 2 years the total attendance was

2001 Munich: 36,500
2000 NYC: 93,133

Staples Center capacity is almost 20,000. This year's attendance will probably be somewhere in between those of Munich and NYC.

RAA
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:53 PM
no offense, but I just don't buy the 'it was only the first day" theory. there are only 16 players in this draw. so the first day whittles out half down to the last eight. round of 16 matches when virtually every top player in the world is involved should be well attended by tennis fans. this is not like the first day at a tier III...

ttaM
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:57 PM
The attendance will probably be worse than it was in Munich :o, but at least Monica will play here :D

Seriously though, I would try to get it back in NYC. The crowd was much more enthusiastic, I liked the way the court looked. Plus it is a shorter flight from Europe to NY than to LA.

veryborednow
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Wimbledon manages it. Full from day 1 to day 14.

Maybe they should have the End of Year Championships in the UK, we'd appreciate it more ;)

...and an even shorter flight from Europe.