PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay D. says Williams Sisters are the best thing to happen to Women's Tennis

junkartist
Nov 6th, 2002, 06:29 AM
I just saw an interview on Fox Sports Net, hightlighting the Home Depot Championships...Lindsay Davenport said that the Williams Sisters are the biggest thing to happen to the WTA and that people try to dispute whether they are good or bad for the sport but she believes that because of them they have brought significant notoriety due to their exposure in fashion magazines and that they have increased the fan base considerably...she also said that she hates playing Serena..because all throughout her career, Serena has been a problem...even before she became famous...that against Serena she has the most lopsided head to head....

Lindsay gave a cool interview....she looked very relaxed....she was soooo happy that despite her injury she qualified for the Tour Championships...:D

vs1
Nov 6th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Lindsay says it like it is!
Yeah, I was looking at Lind's H2H with Serena and it's funny how lop-sided it is! And it dates back to when Serena first came on the scene. I guess every player has one or two opponents that they consistently do poor against. Now with Serena's new form, it makes it even tougher.
It's going to be an exciting week of tennis!!!

Williams Rulez
Nov 6th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Well said Lindsay! Love you like always!

Good luck in LA! :kiss:

Dawn Marie
Nov 6th, 2002, 07:35 AM
The OueenLindsay is telling it like it is. She realizes Serena is just TOO GOOD at the moment. Nice of her to recognize the Williams popularity concerning the sport of tennis as well.

i-girl
Nov 6th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Lindsay is nothing if not honest and fair. how did she look DM? did she say she was completly healthy? did they ask her about Serena's tv appearance:D ?

BasicTennis
Nov 6th, 2002, 07:43 AM
That's very true Lindsay.

Dawn Marie
Nov 6th, 2002, 07:48 AM
i-girl. sorry I missed this interview also. I was studying and watching CNN news.

i-girl
Nov 6th, 2002, 07:54 AM
oops, sorry DM, I thought you were the one who posted the original post:) . junkartist, can you tell me a bit more on how she looked and how she's feeling?

tennisIlove09
Nov 6th, 2002, 08:14 AM
I LOVE Lindsay. She has always been one of the girls who tells it like it is--no hard feelings.

Originally posted by Dawn Marie
The OueenLindsay is telling it like it is. She realizes Serena is just TOO GOOD at the moment. Nice of her to recognize the Williams popularity concerning the sport of tennis as well.

Actually Dawn, Lindsay also is saying that Serena is just better then her. if you look or know their H2H, Serena leads 8-2

1997-11-03 Chicago Indoor Carpet SF Lindsay Davenport (USA) 6-4 6-4
1998-01-12 Sydney Hardcourt QF Serena Williams (USA) 1-6 7-5 7-5
1999-03-01 Indian Wells Hardcourt R32 Serena Williams (USA) 6-4 6-2
1999-08-30 U.S. Open Hardcourt SF Serena Williams (USA) 6-4 1-6 6-4
1999-09-27 Munich Indoor Carpet SF Serena Williams (USA) 6-3 6-4
2000-08-07 Los Angeles Hardcourt F Serena Williams (USA) 4-6 6-4 7-6(1)
2000-08-28 U.S. Open Hardcourt QF Lindsay Davenport (USA) 6-4 6-2
2001-03-05 Indian Wells Hardcourt QF Serena Williams (USA) 6-1 6-2
2001-08-27 U.S. Open Hardcourt QF Serena Williams (USA) 6-3 6-7(7) 7-5
2002-08-26 U.S. Open Hardcourt SF Serena Williams (USA) 6-3 7-5

The first match, Serena was still ranked in the 200's! The second match, Lindsay was up 61 51, and had a cluster of match points.
The US Open 2000, was probally one of the best matches Davenport ever played.

Freewoman33
Nov 6th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Is she saying that because she might have to play Venus and she doesn't want to play an angry Venus? Me thinks so.

tennisfan1972
Nov 6th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Wow ! Serena and lindsay have played each other 4 times at the US OPEN. It's amazing that Serena was able to beat Lindsay after only one loss. Im sure having big sis around contributed to this early success. I Love Lindsay/Serena matches when theyare both on form, its good stuff from the first ball strike.

mboyle
Nov 6th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Darn you Lindsay! You just have waaaaaaay to much class!:D You are making the rest of us look bad!:p

servenrichie
Nov 6th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Freewoman33, funny i was just thinking of that, but it wont come to that, because Venus will be very motivated here!

calabar
Nov 6th, 2002, 01:22 PM
What??? Linsday lost Five straight against Serena? Wow.

CC
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by tennisIlove09
Actually Dawn, Lindsay also is saying that Serena is just better then her. if you look or know their H2H, Serena leads 8-2

The first match, Serena was still ranked in the 200's! The second match, Lindsay was up 61 51, and had a cluster of match points.
The US Open 2000, was probally one of the best matches Davenport ever played.

I think in the 2001 US Open match you could really see the Lindsay/Serena dynamics. Serena looked afraid at some points, but got it together by the end. At the end of the match Lindsay looked like she was about to cry. I think that match put further insecurities in her head about playing Serena.

Jem
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Lindsey has said similar things in the past. Just last week, I found an old copy of a Tennis Week magazine (in the bathroom, no less!) and looked through it. There was an interview with Lindsay, then the No. 1 player, who said admitted without reservation that Venus-Serena would do far more to broaden the fan appeal of the game than she herself could ever do. I'll try to find the exact quote and post it sometime.

junkartist
Nov 6th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by i-girl
oops, sorry DM, I thought you were the one who posted the original post:) . junkartist, can you tell me a bit more on how she looked and how she's feeling?

I-girl....I thought she looked great, happy, laid-back...It was a really good interview. She remarked that she was ready to play and she was excited that she qualified....they talked about how she came back from injury and just solidified her place in the Championships last month (they showed when she beat Bovina). Maybe Fox Sports posted the interview?

Uxobi
Nov 6th, 2002, 08:06 PM
LOL!! Once again, Lindsay makes a fool of the haters! Where's the Queen B now? I'm sure it won't dare show up here to post. Go Lindsay!!!!

Dawn Marie
Nov 6th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Yes, that Serena/Lindsay match at the US Open was a great match!!:) I need that tape! Am I the only one who thinks Lindsay's statements sometimes appear that she is thinking of retiring ? I don't mean next season, but that maybe in 2004 or so? It wasn't that long ago, when she was talking about the William sisters with a bit of cattiness.

mboyle.. lol, oh you do that all by yourself.:P

"Topaz"
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:07 PM
Now, given the HTH (2-8), if you're Lindsay and you're going to play Serena, what do you do the day before? What kind of deal do you make with God?

joaco
Nov 6th, 2002, 10:23 PM
that's why I like Lindsay so much, I know that no other player would say these kind of words.... well said Lindsay!

wongqks
Nov 6th, 2002, 10:24 PM
I think she is absolutely right, even as a non-fan, I do think what they did for the popularity of tennis and bringing women tennis in the spotlight, no one will ever reach

SM
Nov 6th, 2002, 10:51 PM
Lindsay vs Serena looks like a good rivarly...alot of the matches have gone down to the wire(albeit serena leads 8-2 and has the mental edge for sure ;), u can still expect a great match between them!