PDA

View Full Version : Tatiana Panova (1) def. Maria Kirilenko, 6-1, 6-0

fhkung
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:04 AM
i guess there is still some distance b/w the junior Slam winner and
#24 in the world........and a pretty big one i have to say..
but at least better than being double bageled right........:p

england_rules
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:06 AM
Kirilenko just needs a little more experience that's all!! Panova is a half-decent player though!!!

Martian KC
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:08 AM
Maria just needs experience in the maindraw. She will do much better next time!

treufreund
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:11 AM
Well done Tatiana! :bounce:

Gowza
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:33 AM
i think maria is doing ok so far. most juniors get direct wildcards into maindraws but maria has chosen to try and qualify and she has qualified for three out of four tournies that she has competed in. didn't she lose to panova in one of her earlier tournies? she has had pretty tough draws, i think she has had to face a top 50 player in the first round every time.

england_rules
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:45 AM
I think so too Gowza!!!!

Richie77
Nov 6th, 2002, 03:05 AM
I agree, it's not the end of the world for Maria. She just needs more experience. When you're No. 461 and you're playing No. 24, you shouldn't be upset if you lose so badly.

Remember, Dinara Safina got to the 2nd round of the U.S. Open, and got spanked by Serena 6-1, 6-0. She later beat Silvia Farina Elia, a Top 15 player, in Moscow.

Losing bad to a good player isn't the end of the world, it's just a measuring stick to see where you are, and how to get better.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 6th, 2002, 03:30 AM
Maria K looks like she is about 12 though
her body needs developing

when she gets stronger then look out.

FLL
Nov 6th, 2002, 03:34 AM
Lil'Tanya is one heck of a player and a fighter! There is no surprise to me that she spanked the junior...

Davay Tanya!!! :kiss:

the cat
Nov 6th, 2002, 03:43 AM
I have to admit I'm shocked that Kirilenko wasn't even competitive with Panova! :eek: It's time for Maria to return to the juniors and make her run at junior #1! :D The WTA Tour can wait until next year. Masha has proved that she's not yet ready to play on the WTA Tour. And being whipped by Panova is proof that Maria has a long way to go. I only hope she returns to the juniors. She was playing great this summer on the junior tour! :)

And Maria has definately played too much tennis this fall. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

Udachi Maria! :bounce:

King Aaron
Nov 6th, 2002, 12:46 PM
+ she has bad luck in draws!!! :mad:

Iconoclast
Nov 6th, 2002, 12:51 PM
You won't catch me shedding any tears over this result. Panova is playing the tennis of her life this season. She really should be able to see off an inexperienced youngster like Maria with relative comfort. Neither of the two players can be said to be fully grown, but even in the physical department Tatiana had the edge. ;)

CoryAnnAvants#1
Nov 6th, 2002, 01:47 PM
I was really expecting something along the lines of a 6-3 6-3 scoreline. That result shocked me! Still, Kirilenko beat a couple of top 200 players in the qualies which is a good confidence booster.I do think she should stick w/the pros though, and play juniors sparingly (GS junior events and major Grade 1 events.) There's no sense in her playing a full time junior schedule if there are only 1 or 2 juniors on the same level as her. I think she should plan a nice mix of challengers and tour events in 2003.

Smart
Nov 6th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Maria is a great junior and very talented player - but too young yet. We have to wait 4-5 years and she may be Russian's new top-player.
Better luck next year Maria!!

Harju.
Nov 6th, 2002, 04:40 PM
I'm quite surprised with the scores :eek:

But.. C'mon she's still like 14 or something!! and she's facing top 25 players.. PRESSURE and NERVOUS are definately the reasons

fhkung
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:01 AM
But.. C'mon she's still like 14 or something!! and she's facing top 25 players.. PRESSURE and NERVOUS are definately the reasons

Actually she is 15, facing Panova, who is 26..:eek:
that has gotta affect her play, and they are from Russia too,
it's like playing tennis against ur big sis.....;)

Persian
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:17 AM
I was surprised by the score, Tatiana has been playing very satisfactory latley and Maria has established herself is a good junior and a player in the year to come to watch. Shes 15 and it is a good learning curve to be beaten by a player who is accomplished.

Robbie.
Nov 8th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Players like Amanda Coetzer/Tatiana can really give these young players hell if they are just that tad over anxious. Jelena Dokic was dealt a similar belting at the 1999 Hopman Cup by Amanda , in her next couple of matches she beat Sandrine Testud and ASV (then top 5) in straight sets.

Its a steep learning curve at this age....