PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone REALLY think Jenn can retain Oz Open?

BritBoy
Nov 5th, 2002, 10:55 PM
Watching the replay of this year's final on Eurosport today made me realise just how bad Jenn has become recently. I know she was playing pretty crap this time last year but even then she wasn't getting hammered by the likes of Martinez and Stevenson (no disrespect to those two). In her match against Alex in Linz she could barely keep the ball in play and it was awful to see a Grand Slam champion play like that. Do any of you Jenn fans (or anyone for that matter) think she can regroup over winter and come back like she did this year?

Helen Lawson
Nov 5th, 2002, 10:57 PM
I thought she looked like shit last year at this time. I saw her play in December at a show and she looked fat, out of shape, and played like crap. We know what happened a few months later. I do not count her out in the least, she came up with magic last year (and the year before). I give her as good a chance as anyone else in the Top 10.

MarcusRock
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:00 PM
Only the ones sitting in the corner rocking back and forth saying, "Jen will win. Jen will win. Jen will win."

Seriously, you just never know. Injuries can happen and she can get a favorable draw like last year. But if she goes in as a 3 seed to the Williams sisters, I seriously doubt it. I like Davenport's, Clijsters' and Mauresmo's chances better than hers.

MLF
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:04 PM
It'll be tough for sure but then after she lost to Stevenson in Sydney the majority felt she wouldn't defend this year and she proved them all wrong. I hope she can do it again.

Halardfan
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:08 PM
It would be great to see her prove the vast army of doubters wrong...hope she does, she has a chance.

Crazy Canuck
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Few thought she could last year, and few think so now.

She's made people look silly in the part, I'm sure she can do it again.

She has as good a chance as any.

Venus Forever
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Well, she DEFINITELY can win the Aussie Open, but with the say she has been playing for the last month or so, I sincerely doubt it.

Randy H
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:15 PM
I think she's proven herself plenty by now. Few thought she'd win her first slam, few thought she could win Roland Garros after that, and certainly based on last year's fall season form, few would have expected her to defend her Aus title, but she came through, and fought her way to her 3rd slam. I think she has as good a chance as most others (though it seems hard these days to picture Serena *not* winning a slam), but anything can happen as Jen has shown before.

QUEENLINDSAY
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:16 PM
I see no reason why not????
She did it before and she can do it again.

But that is If Lindsay alows her which I hope not :)

Nov 5th, 2002, 11:19 PM
Defending the title may be enough to improbe her form, but I can't see Jenn winning again next year. I'm thinking semis at best

ColinB
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:31 PM
Of course she can win - jen has proved that she can really get herself up for the majors - after all 3 of the last 4 events she has won are majors... I am not her biggest fan, but when it comes down to the big events, she does have what it takes mentally... She was crap at this time last year, and was hopeless losing to Testud at the Masters in Munich and to Alex in Sydney. She never looked at her best or played her best in Melbourne, but she still won - which is the sign of a true champion - so time to stopall the Jen bashing...

PhoenixStorm
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:53 PM
Of course she can, anyone in the draw can win the oz open because they have the opportunity. However, will she? I seriously doubt it if the draw remains strong. Last year davenport and serena were missing in action. This year that brings those two to the draw, plus a motivated momo and an improved kim, justine, and daniela. So the draw will be much harder than last year. Still she has just as much chance as anyone else however no one has one three back to back grandslams in quite a while so the odds are against her.

GO VENUS GO SERENA GO CHANDA GO ALEXA GO KIM GO JUJU GO DANIELA!!!

england_rules
Nov 6th, 2002, 01:34 AM
I don't THINK she will win but she stands a chance!!!

tennisIlove09
Nov 6th, 2002, 01:39 AM
There's something about Australia that brings out the best in Jen. I think 2003 Australian we will see Jennifer comeback. Maybe not to win it, but the old Jen of 2001 will return.

england_rules
Nov 6th, 2002, 01:42 AM
She's kinda like Hingis! She always comes to play here!

Gowza
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:12 AM
she did it last year when no one thought she could so i think she can do it again. i would like to see serena, venus, lindsay, monica and jen all playing their best tennis at the same time, it would make an interesting grand slam.

"Topaz"
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:35 AM
I think Jen has a secret. She parties on and off all year long. But come December, while everybody else is partying before and after Xmas, she trains and gets ready for the new season. The result: she's in shape and confident while most are sluggish and/or rusty. Only a theory, folks; hold your arsenal!

Harju.
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:35 AM
I agree :D
Nobody thought that she could win last year but she did!!
Hopefully next year, she will prove to people that she can do it!!

Volcana
Nov 6th, 2002, 03:29 AM
Jenn thinks she can defend her crown, and that's really the only person who matters.

cmasters
Nov 6th, 2002, 03:35 AM
It all depends on Serena Williams. This is her chance to win the career slam. That is something few have done and none of the current players have done. If she can win on clay she can win on rebound ace.

PhoenixStorm
Nov 6th, 2002, 03:46 AM
Serena is definitely ready to snatch the aussie crown from jen's head.

Gandalf
Nov 6th, 2002, 07:48 AM
I didn't give her much of chance last year, so I won't doubt her again

Raisin
Nov 6th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Only if she meets Hingis in the finals:p

Go Jenn defend your title:cool:

the_ancyent_m
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Jennifer Capriati?!- Who the hell is that? Certainly not a Grand Slam winner?!:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

Seriously, I donīt think she has proven anything yet ... :rolleyes:

I cannot ever imagine her winning any Slams... :rolleyes:

These threads are the only reason why Iīm here on the board so often these days ... :rolleyes:

Experimentee
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:21 PM
If the Williams sisters and Davenport are there and playing well I'm almost certain that she wont win. When she won this year I watched most of her matches for the tournament and it wasnt like she was playing incredibly well, she was struggling a bit even against people like Grande and Daniilidou, and I'm sure if the other players were playing well then she wouldnt have won. I think she was playing very well when she won the Aus Open and Roland Garros for the first time, but I havent seen her get anywhere near that form this year.

Devon
Nov 6th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Let's not forget that last year, even though she played great, she didn't have to face neither one of the Williams or Lindsay. We can't take for granted that she would have lost because she is a great player when she is in good form, but it would have been much harder. The real test for her will come next January when all big babes enter the tournament.

oggie
Nov 6th, 2002, 03:21 PM
I didn't think that jennifer would win AO this year, and I am even more sceptical for next year's AO. Her best chances to win it are if Williams sister play crapy or don't play at all.

irma
Nov 6th, 2002, 04:29 PM
who thought she would win in 2001? australia is probably a special place for her now so it might bring her on a high!

Serendy Willick
Nov 6th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Jen has a chance to win it, but defending your title three times straight is hard to do, Venus had Wimby and US two straight years before losing to Serena. Someone though has to be on crack to doubt Jennifer, Davenport, or even Hingis(6 straight years in the Austrailia finals WOW!) I love the fWillis and want them to win this, but they have to be on their game here.

Luna_Angel_84
Nov 6th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Never say never. ;)

thegoose
Nov 6th, 2002, 07:38 PM
I think serena will win but u never know.
Stranger things have happened!!