PDA

View Full Version : Will Kuznetsova, Jankovic, Safina and even Ivanovic ever come back to good form?

rimon
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:05 AM
They are all languishing.

In The Zone
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Kuznetsova, yes.

I've come to notice you are a troll and clearly a banned brute reincarnated.

cowsonice
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Kuznetsova--if she gets her head together although she has fallen off the radar quite a bit.
Jankovic--seems hopeless. Only if she starts caring again.
Safina--we'll never know when she'll recuperate from her injury, and if she does, what kind of era the WTA would be in
Ivanovic--haven't you heard? her form now is better than her RG '08 form.. :oh: (but in all seriousness, it really depends on how cooperative and willing Ivanovic is)

VeeJJ
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Kuzzy and Jankovic are your best bets. They can still play good tennis if hey wanted too.

Graftard
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:25 AM
No, none of these players have champion's mind.

VeeJJ
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:27 AM
No, none of these players have champion's mind.

You're such a loser dude :lol:

Graftard
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:30 AM
You're such a loser dude :lol:

:rolleyes:

Another blind fanboy refusing to admit the truth about his favorite(s). Face it. The player in your signature had ample opportunities to win slams. She didn't. Thus she isn't a champion material.

In The Zone
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Joined in June 2011 and was savvy enough to know to make a username "Graftard" and is already quoting signatures. Hmmmm.

Setsuna.
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Joined in June 2011 and was savvy enough to know to make a username "Graftard" and is already quoting signatures. Hmmmm.

Claycourter? :lol:

Curtos07
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:38 AM
I think JJ will find her form again. Kuz will be on and off. Dinara it all depends on her back. As for Ana, she did find her form in the last few months last year so I still believe she can get it back as long as she can find some stability with her new coach.

KBlade
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Kuznetsova - Maybe, although she's always been an inconsistent player. I think in 2008 she made something like 5 finals and lost all of them. She needs to do something quickly though, or make a deep run at a slam because time is running out for her.

Jankovic - I honestly don't believe she will ever get back to her 2008 form. She's clearly a good step slower than she was, never slides anymore, and gives up on a lot of points. She also seemed to hit the ball more aggressively and cleaner a few years ago, and most of the time seems to be content to roll a forehand half-way up the court. Her backhand also appears to have deteriorated, and she no longer seems to have the great balance she used to have off that wing. She constantly pulls off the backhand down the line these days, resulting in her dumping the ball into the next. I still believe she retains her great ball-striking ability if she gets into an aggressive frame of mind. If she started playing more aggressively, and looked like she actually gave a damn out on court, she could cause troubles coupled with her new decent serve.

Ivanovic - Still a lot of time left for her, but I think the solution is simple. Hire a coach and stick with them.

edificio
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:49 AM
The future is difficult to predict. Still, I feel certain Capriati will not be making a comeback, nor Margaret Court.

Aaron.
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Kuznetsova, yes.

I've come to notice you are a troll and clearly a banned brute reincarnated. :haha:

hpme
Jul 14th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Kuzzy: Yes
JJ: in doubt
Safina: she can't calm down in bad situation, she is hopeless
Ana: &*^%$!!!

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Kuznetsova has the weapons.

Jankovic has lost a step, the will to grind out matches as well as the hunger to win; plus as mentioned she didnt exactly have a champion's mentality to begin with.

Safina is semi-retired with back issues, its hard to see her even play tennis again.

Ivanovic is too busy being delusional.

Corswandt
Jul 14th, 2011, 10:02 AM

Jankovic has lost a step, the will to grind out matches as well as the hunger to win; plus as mentioned she didnt exactly have a champion's mentality to begin with.

Safina is semi-retired with back issues, its hard to see her even play tennis again.

This.

I'll just add that Kuznetsova's serve is gone, so not even her will find it easy to come back to her best form unless she finds it again.

Slutiana
Jul 14th, 2011, 10:05 AM

I agree with all of this, but I think everyone seems to forget that Jankovic was one of the best competitors back when she was at the top. I don't think she's finished, but she's going to have to start caring again. :lol:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 14th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I agree with all of this, but I think everyone seems to forget that Jankovic was one of the best competitors back when she was at the top. I don't think she's finished, but she's going to have to start caring again. :lol:

Its easier to compete as the under dog who has nothing to lose. Plus for players who rely heavily on their movement and not on going for their shots, its easier to be consistent and create this illusion that they are competing really well. Lets not forget that Jankovic has a history of taking injury breaks, retiring and whinning.

The only part where I felt that Jankovic was one of the best competitors was those 2 months after USO'08 where she was at the peak of her physical and confidence level; many players have had such purple patches.

As far as Kuznetsova is concerned, she had a very promising season till Dubai, lost to Na in a tight three setter at Sydney, Lost to Franny in that epic in r4 of AO and made it to the finals of Tier 1 doha beating some good opponents. It all went down hill after she lost to Wozniacki, the only highlight being that FO QF.

Break My Rapture
Jul 14th, 2011, 11:22 AM
They are all done IMO.

I don't believe Kuznetsova is going to turn the tide on her career this time around. Jankovic couldn't care less, she is one step into retirement. Safina has her unfortunate back problems so she is basically a question mark, but if she did come back I'd doubt that she could get back to her peak years. As for Ivanovic, for some reason I think she is incredibly doubtful about herself and/or either her game. Claiming her tennis is as good as it was as in 2008 while the results don't back it up (in fact they rather contradict), scream that she is full of doubt IMO. To get back on track (which I believe is still possible although I don't think it will happen), she'll need to go back to Heinz's part time coaching or find a similar one that can spend fulltime with her, but seeing as she can't stick to one coach for longer than like 2 months, I start to think if she's person that doesn't cooperate easily. I don't see her finally getting it together in her mind in the first place though, which is sad since Ana should/could have become a leading lady for the WTA.

Corswandt
Jul 14th, 2011, 11:36 AM
The only part where I felt that Jankovic was one of the best competitors was those 2 months after USO'08 where she was at the peak of her physical and confidence level; many players have had such purple patches.

And even then, she was mostly outgrinding the usual bridesmaids.

18majors
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Ana will.

Shivank17
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:31 PM
If Dinara gets her back 100% fixed ,she SURE can.

Kuzzy's career has been up and down,although really down now,think she will come back too.

Ana unsure,but think she can.

JJ-herself stated that she is losing interest in tennis,signs of fading.

VeeJJ
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:43 PM

This.

Break My Rapture
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Didn't she play Zvonareva in like every tournament after the US Open that year? :spit:

Mikey.
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:58 PM

I actually laughed at this. :tears: It's funny because it was very very true... :sobbing:

Anyway, I definitely see Svetlana and Ana having the odd patch of amazing play. That's really just because of the type of player they are: super hot form one week and total flop the next. Otherwise I don't really see anything much happening for Jelena and Dinara.

Viktymise
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Disagree with the claims in this thread of Jankovic once being a great competitor. Her instincts have always been passive when matches become tight, and she has bottled most of the biggest matches of her career.

Stonerpova
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Kuzetsova - knowing her she'll probably win the US Open
Jankovic - I'd love to see it and she's totally capable of it, but it's up to her whether she wants to play like she means it or not
Safina - Unfortunately I feel there's too much physical and emotional baggage
Ivanovic - A player this good has to stop slumping at some point, one would think

Mikey.
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Didn't she play Zvonareva in like every tournament after the US Open that year? :spit:

Almost. :lol: She didn't play her in either Tokyo or Zurich.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Disagree with the claims in this thread of Jankovic once being a great competitor. Her instincts have always been passive when matches become tight, and she has bottled most of the biggest matches of her career.

Thats my point, its easier to give the illusion of being competitive when your game is based around being a retriever.

Pump-it-UP
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I think Sveta will. She just needs one good day/win and I think she can turn her career back around. I can't see her ever being as consistent as she used to be though...... not to say that she was too consistent in the first place, :lol:

Dinara's done because of her back.

JJ's peak is long behind her, but if she starts caring again she should still at least get back into the top 10.

Ivanovic needs a wake-up call and I can't see her getting one for a few years. She's still capable of playing great for a few weeks per year though.

Viktymise
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Also re: the thread topic, I feel like last year's RG SF and Dementieva's retirement were tough, even potentially fatal blows for Jankovic's career.

The blowout SF against Stosur confirmed to herself that she wasn't a born champion, and seeing her fellow bridesmaid Dementieva retire slamless made her realise that the likelihood that there was going to be a happy ending to her story were very slim, even if she was 100% committed and hungry for it.

I mean, if she can't motivate herself right now when there is such uncertainty at the top of the game, and more chances than ever before to win big, then when will she be?

My take is that Jankovic is satisfied with what she has achieved, but as other people have alluded to in other threads, she is merely continuing on with her career and keeping her ranking at a respectable enough figure to feed her narcissistic need to lead a life of notoriety.

JJ all the way
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Thats my point, its easier to give the illusion of being competitive when your game is based around being a retriever.

What does this even mean - please explain :)

And FYI, those 2 months in 2008, JJ beat some big names, including Kuzzy, Dementieva, and V.Williams.

justineheninfan
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Kuznetsova- She is done. She just wanted to prove she wasnt a 1 slam wonder and once she did that her motivation has sunk. It is funny to see this forum often predict her as favorite to win big titles which she wasnt even in her prime.

Ivanovic- I think she has a chance of a comeback since she is young enough and seems to want it. She has to accept getting the right coach and sticking with him though.

Jankovic- she seems to have lost a step which is a big minus for her when her game relies on movement so much.

Safina- will never play pro tennis again.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:35 PM
What does this even mean - please explain :)

In clutch moments, most average players become very passive and most of the times lose to superior competitors who go for their shots.

Jankovic's game is based around having enough margin on her shots, so even when she becomes increasingly passive in clutch moments you dont see much of a difference as you do when an offensive player becomes passive and gets nervous . Just look at Wozniacki too, its easier for players whose game is based around defense and margin of error to play it in clutch moments. The drawback being not winning important GS matches where superior competitors go for their shots on important points.

Slutiana
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Its easier to compete as the under dog who has nothing to lose. Plus for players who rely heavily on their movement and not on going for their shots, its easier to be consistent and create this illusion that they are competing really well. Lets not forget that Jankovic has a history of taking injury breaks, retiring and whinning.

I completely agree with this, but I think that quality is far more pronounced in someone like Wozniacki who is a retriever in every sense of the word. Jankovic is more of a counterpuncher and she's far better at redirecting pace and moving the ball around rather than just absorbing all pace and countering with moonballs. In many of her tight victories, she would always manage to turn defence into offence from the most ridiculous positions at clutch moments *flashback to Stuttgart 2008*.

But thinking about it more, most of the big JJ matches ingrained in my memory are her various duels against Venus and Serena. She always relished those ones, competing so well and being much more aggressive. Of course, as Viktymise and Corswandt said, she approaced her matches against the other bridesmaids completely differently.

But even so, you look at the top 3 and all of them don't do too much more on the ball than Jankovic and certainly don't defend/move as well as her. Clijsters is obviously different as she posesses more power than the others, but as we know, even she has largely bullshitted her way to her last 2 slams. It's a big if, but if Jankovic applies herself again, there's no way why she can't be back in the conversation.

And I don't think JJ's current demeanour is just down to her being bored of tennis. Her big problem is a complete lack of confidence in her strokes. On her forehand she's scared to put even the tiniest bit of pace on it, and her racket head is always decelerating on that side. And like Maria up until like 3 months ago, she doesn't trust her technique anymore and it's so messy - she's always stopping mid-stroke and making all these weird adjustments because she just can't trust herself to hit through the stroke. It's all over the place.

Cajka
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Sveta - yes, I'm completely sure she will.
JJ & Ana - Not this year. They both have some age issue atm. JJ needs to become young again and Anchi has to grow up finally.
Dinara - I would really love to see that, but I don't think it will happen.

DefyingGravity
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Ana: I wish that she just would realize that she needs to actually work on her game. Back when she won her major and got to two other finals, her footwork to get around to hit the forehand was great. Now, it's worse than Serena. It's awful. Footwork makes her strokes balanced and infinitely more powerful. Look at Kvitova, she's balanced when she's smacking winners left, right, and center.

Kuznetsova: I was hoping the Australian Open and Dubai would have helped her get back, and her French Open result wasn't terrible really. She could be on the upswing.

JJ: Man, she just looks like she hates the sport again. It's an attitude problem, that's for sure. She could really be taking advantage of the weak period right now, but she's just not interested in playing it seems.

Dina: Well, there's a vicious cycle with her back. She has a horrible back problem, which is not allowing her to work out, which will help her get rid of a bit of extra weight to take a bit of pressure off of her back which would allow her to work out and get better.

danieln1
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Ana has the potential to come back, but this has lasted almost 3 years now, I think she'll be happy being a perenial top 20 and winning a few titles here and there, but getting back to the top/winning slams again??? 0,5% chance. And she shouls stop those delusional remarks, it's not even funny anymore

Sveta can win a slam again, she's so crazy, impossible to predict, if the draw falls apart like US Open 04 she could win one again

Dinara is done, back injuries seems to end a lot of careers it seems

Jankovic could become top 10 again, but's unlikely

Cajka
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Almost. :lol: She didn't play her in either Tokyo or Zurich.

She lost early in Zurich. I think she lost to Flavia. Is it possible that she didn't play in Tokyo? :scratch:

tennisfan5
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Svetlana will return to win a slam in 2014, in line with her 5 yr plan.

Chakvenus
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:44 PM
^ I think she lost to Kuznetsova in the quarters there in 08.

Cp6uja
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Yep, yep, yep and of course!

dsanders06
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Jankovic's game is based around having enough margin on her shots, so even when she becomes increasingly passive in clutch moments you dont see much of a difference as you do when an offensive player becomes passive and gets nervous . Just look at Wozniacki too, its easier for players whose game is based around defense and margin of error to play it in clutch moments. The drawback being not winning important GS matches where superior competitors go for their shots on important points.

While this might be partly true, she always used to be mentally in the matches right up until the very end and competing the whole way through. She did have some incredible comebacks in her time (e.g. against Paszek at the AO08), and, even if you do have a safe style of play, it still takes mental toughness to keep plugging away in a match when it looks like it's all over ... these days, it looks like she's given up long before the end of the match (against Schivone at RG this year, she seemed to have resigned herself to defeat even when she was up a break in the decider).

Also, in the biggest moment of her career, the US Open final, she relished it and played one of the best matches of her career... whereas someone like Safina shrunk whenever she got a great opportunity.

Anyway, I think Jankovic is pretty much over. Although the mental side of her game is a big part of her slump, I also genuinely think she's lost some of her explosiveness in her movement, which makes her so much more vulnerable. Also, the fact that Wozniacki has come onto the scene and is doing what she does better has really hurt her confidence I think. She should've snuck in a win at RG at some point between 2008 and 2010, but I think that window has closed for her now.

Kuznetsova I think will always be a Mary Pierce-type player. She'll probably win a couple more Slams out of nowhere playing spectacular tennis (though I'd be stunned if she ever won Wimbledon), before promptly slipping back into obscurity. Even though she's mentally tough in the sense that she can hold her nerve on the biggest stages when she puts her mind to it, she's clearly a genuine headcase and so erratic in her focus/concentration.

Safina I can actually see coming back and having a fairytale win at RG in a couple of years. No idea why, just a hunch.

Ivanovic... I don't know. She certainly has the talent to be one of the top guns, but I have a very hard time seeing her ever win another Slam. I just don't think she could hold her nerve at the pressure moments after all she's been through - like Jimmy Connors said, when you've been through such a vicious slump, you "know too much", you've lost the fearless naivete of the younger days and you know failure is possible because you've tasted it before.

Spring Pools
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I think that Kuz has another slam in her. I don't know when it will be, but I expect it will be out of the blue when she's out of the top 20 or 30. Most likely it will be at RG.

Temperenka
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Kuznetsova- Without a doubt. She probably still has another slam in her.

Jankovic- She's passed her peak, but could still be a top 5 player. No slam though.

Safina- I don't think we'll ever see her play again. And if we do, it will be similar to her attempted comeback during this clay season.

Ivanovic- Who the hell knows. She is nuts.

Mikey.
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:42 PM
She lost early in Zurich. I think she lost to Flavia. Is it possible that she didn't play in Tokyo? :scratch:

She lost in the QF of Tokyo to Sveta after beating Pennetta 2 and 1 in R2. Later she then lost R2 to Pennetta in Zurich after a R1 bye. This loss was after the long 3 week tourament winning streak.

Yonexforever
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Kuzzie is the most accomplished and talented player outside of Maria when Serena is away.
I expected her to be no1 the last year or so NOT Caroline. What the fuck is going with her?
Jelena already has a better younger faster version in Caro so thats a wrap. Ana is a truly mindless beautiful ball striker.
No idea where the ball will end up much less point creation.
Safina achieved more than even she expected. Too slow and all this time away due to the back will not allow an easy return with all the new talent around.

killerqueen
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I virtually echo what everyone else said:

Ana can, if she sorts her head out. Time is on her side.
Sveta can, and probably will be up there again at some point. She's always been a bit of a yo-yo player.
JJ, could, if she decided to care again.
Dinara probably won't, because of her injuries. It kind of sucks when players like JJ don't want it, when Dinara would love to be in her position. :(

C. Drone
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Dinara will win RG'12.

killerqueen
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Dinara will win RG'12.

I'd love that to happen, but I think I probably have about as much chance as she does, and I'm a dude :(

Corswandt
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I'd love that to happen, but I think I probably have about as much chance as she does, and I'm a dude :(

So you don't believe you can beat Nadal on clay?

Defeatist.

killerqueen
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:52 PM
So you don't believe you can beat Nadal on clay?

Defeatist.

I think I could probably take him to five, but I'd crumble under the pressure. :(

Curtos07
Jul 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
She just needs to find stability with her new coach Nigel Sears and fitness trainer (hopefully Scott Byrnes)and get her head together and I believe she can get back to being a top 10 player again.

justineheninfan
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:02 PM
The only one of those 4 I wouldnt be completely shocked to win another slam is Ana, as much of a mess as she is now. IMO absolutely no way do any of Kuznetsova, Safina, or Jankovic win a future slam.

laurie
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Jelena can do no better than have a word with Novak Djokovic for some inspiration on how to handle the pressure. I love her game and her personality.

Let's remember she still has time, look no further than Na Li and Francesca Schiavone for proof.

Ivanovic? Hard to say, it's such a bizarre situation.

Kuznetsova? Why not? In many way she's a bit like Boris Becker without as many Grand slam titles, a player who should always be a contender but only a contender in patches and not as consistent as a few others of her ability.

Safina? It's not looking good, she didn't have as much natural talent to begin with. Let's hope she gets playing again in 2012.

VeeJJ
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:48 PM
She lost in the QF of Tokyo to Sveta after beating Pennetta 2 and 1 in R2. Later she then lost R2 to Pennetta in Zurich after a R1 bye. This loss was after the long 3 week tourament winning streak.

Tokyo semi's 6-2 5-7 5-7 to Sveta.

Then she won the nest 3 tournaments and lost in Zurich to Pennetta 7-5 3-6 3-6 in R2

The Daviator
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Kuznetsova- Without a doubt. She probably still has another slam in her.

Jankovic- She's passed her peak, but could still be a top 5 player. No slam though.

Safina- I don't think we'll ever see her play again. And if we do, it will be similar to her attempted comeback during this clay season.

Ivanovic- Who the hell knows. She is nuts.

This is a pretty good summary, although I can't see Jankovic returning to the top 5.

Sveta has been up and down for her entire career, so her current spell is just the usual for her, she'll sneak an odd Premier 5/Mand or Slam in the next few years.

Safina could get back into the top 20 if her injury heals, which hopefully it will. Jankovic will keep sliding and the further she goes, the less motivated she'll be to fight back :shrug:

Ana is loopy, she will have a few great results in amongst a sea of 7-6 0-6 6-1 losses :facepalm: Hopefully one of those good results will be another Slam.

Ivanovic2008
Jul 14th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Sveta: It could definitley happen but she past her peak.

Jelena: Obviously doesn't care and will probably retire soon. (I mean seriously two tournaments in the summer hard court season!)

Dinara: If injuries and emotions are fixed then of course. But honestly I don't see that happening.

Ana: She can for sure if she sticks to a coach and gets stronger phsically and mentally. Time is on her side and she obviously wants it bad. It's pretty bizzare situation.

Cajka
Jul 14th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Tokyo semi's 6-2 5-7 5-7 to Sveta.

Then she won the nest 3 tournaments and lost in Zurich to Pennetta 7-5 3-6 3-6 in R2

And her tennis was almost perfect. In that moment I was convinced that she'll take a slam sooner or later. And what did happen at AO? That wtf loss to Bartoli. All the credits to Bartoli, but it was never supposed to happen. Come back, JJ! :sad: Last year during the FC she was playing some great tennis and after that she won IW playing great (if we forget the match against Errani). She used to be someone who can always come back, even after 12 months of mediocre tennis. That's the reason I still believe in her. :rolleyes:

dsanders06
Jul 14th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Jelena can do no better than have a word with Novak Djokovic for some inspiration on how to handle the pressure. I love her game and her personality.

Let's remember she still has time, look no further than Na Li and Francesca Schiavone for proof

The difference is that Li and Schiavone base their games on power/shotmaking, which doesn't deteriate that markedly by late 20s/early 30s. Jankovic, on the other hand, predicates her game on defense, which is something that for almost every player hits the skids by the mid-20s. Imo, she's already lost some explosiveness in her movement, and it's only going to get worse every year from here on in. Look at Lleyton Hewitt and Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario - they were as mentally tough as they come, but once they hit 26, they were well past their peak because they were a step slower and didn't have the ballstriking skills to compensate (like Jankovic).

Based on all her quotes she's made in recent months and years, do you really believe that? I think she wants to win slams again. That always has been her goal. She showed that she could come back during the 2nd half last year but then came the injuries to start this season and the coaching unstability again.....

She "came back" to a solid #11/12 sort of level, but her form last year never indicated she was about to contend for Slams anytime soon. So I don't see how her form last year contradicts what the poster said (about her settling for a top 20 level). The fact is she hasn't shown championship-winning form for more than 3 years now.

VishaalMaria
Jul 14th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Out of all of those, I still have the belief that Kuznetsova and Jankovic can play high quality tennis.

With Kuznetsova she's always going to be a hot and cold player. That's her definition. So I wouldn't be surprised if she sneaked in a slam or two.

With Jankovic, it's such a big shame. She's such a wasted talent. I think she'll look back on this time in her career and feel saddened that she didn't maximise her talent.

It was quite telling with Jankovic that in her first (and only) slam final she was able to play Serena so tightly. The likes of Safina and Ivanovic crumbled.

lang26
Jul 15th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Kuznetsova is always so off and on her form always seem to run away from her and come back so not to worry about her she be back one year.

Jankovic it funny because she have improve so well on her serve and seem to do more play like drop shot more often, her forehand if what seem to be holding her back it so bad she need to work on that and but really JJ seem to have no desire to win this year. When she get back to wanna play at her best then she back which I see coming because I cant see JJ out the top 10 forever. & the FO is always wide open for her to take

Safina it all about gettin healthy again and in form when that all come together she be back at top of her game and top 10 players and again FO is always wide open for her as well

Zvonapova
Jul 15th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Jankovic still has the tools to do so if she adjusts her attitude.
Kuznetsova may have peaked with that French Open win.
Safina has suffered a substantial back injury so I'm inclined to say no.
Ivanovic- I have never been able to figure her out lol.

Curtos07
Jul 15th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Me earlier in this thread:

She just needs to find stability with her new coach Nigel Sears and fitness trainer (hopefully Scott Byrnes) and get her head together and I believe she can get back to being a top 10 player again.

Scotty is back!!!!

Just like the good old days. Not that this means Ana will suddenly start playing 2007/2008 level tennis, but he did a great, not good, GREAT job from mid 2006 to mid 2009 as Ana's fitness trainer. Having him back will help greatly along with the hiring of Nigel Sears. Has the team around her now. Optimistic. :)

http://www.anaivanovic.com/news/byrnes-re-appointed-fitness-trainer

goat
Jul 15th, 2011, 06:17 AM
I would hope the Kuznetsova can seal the deal with 1 or two more grandslams. She is an undervalued player due to the fact that her two slams are won with few and far between.

Ivanovic is always going to be announcing her comeback. I think she will break into the top 10 and stay there for a while and then fade away.

Safina, I don't know :crying: I would hope that after a year off tennis completely and some training she could come back to a top 15 player making a few deep runs at slams.

Jankovic doesn't care at the moment and whether this is from her poor results or visa versa I am unsure. Like Safina i think she needs some time off to re-kindle the love for the sport.

Out of all of them Kuznetsova is the obvious contender due to her slight presence. I just hope she can do some damage at the Australian or French again. I think the other tournaments are not accessible for her.

For the other girls I would just like to see them playing close to (or at all) their best. I doubt that any of them will ever be as pivotal to the game as they once were.

Bingain
Jul 15th, 2011, 06:31 AM

Scotty is back!!!!

Just like the good old days. Not that this means Ana will suddenly start playing 2007/2008 level tennis, but he did a great, not good, GREAT job from mid 2006 to mid 2009 as Ana's fitness trainer. Having him back will help greatly along with the hiring of Nigel Sears. Has the team around her now. Optimistic. :)

That's good. Hope she does well.:hearts:

And she also needs to have a right guy to sleep with before matches. Schiavone definitely nailed it. Look at Bepa without a Sergei. :sobbing:

Tell her Bing & Associates provide, at affordable rates, escort professionals who are either MBAs or Harvard Law School graduates & skillful enough to hit with top 10 WTA chicks. Some of them have even beaten top 10 ATP players in their dreams.

Corswandt
Jul 15th, 2011, 10:00 AM
She just needs to find stability with her new coach Nigel Sears and fitness trainer (hopefully Scott Byrnes)and get her head together and I believe she can get back to being a top 10 player again.

Yes, because it's not like she got figured out and has glaring and easily exploitable technical glitches in nearly every single aspect of her game or anything. It's all mental.

bandabou
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Sveta is the obvious choice...has been there, done that. Ana? :shrug: Mental issues there.

Jankovic if she can truly find the love for the game again, she could be a factor again.

MB.
Jul 15th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Kuznetsova--if she gets her head together although she has fallen off the radar quite a bit.
Jankovic--seems hopeless. Only if she starts caring again.
Safina--we'll never know when she'll recuperate from her injury, and if she does, what kind of era the WTA would be in
Ivanovic--haven't you heard? her form now is better than her RG '08 form.. :oh: (but in all seriousness, it really depends on how cooperative and willing Ivanovic is)

You nailed it. Well done.

doooma6816
Jul 15th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Kuzzy, JJ, Ana can...but I don't think Dinara will be able to return with her problems.

JJ has to care again...she won;t back to her 2008 form, but to top 10 definitely.

Ana has got new coach and fitness trainer so maybe she'll finally back on right path.

Smitten
Jul 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Jankovic is done.

Kuznetsova will always be streaky. She's almost due for her random slam final of this period, so I expect that next year.

Ivanovic has the ability to get back to a top level but it will be another year or two of rebuilding.

Safina might come back to the tour but she will never be a force again.

valac222
Jul 15th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Kuznetsove - could, (but I dont think she will)
JJ - She is rather a diva now then a tennis player. And she likes that.
Safina - Even if her back is good, she does not have the mentality to climb back
Ivanovic - If she realizes that she cannot live from RG08 for a long and she decides to train..

Break My Rapture
Jul 15th, 2011, 05:33 PM

Scotty is back!!!!

If she dumps him again after a while too, I'm seriously going to start disliking her.

JCTennisFan
Jul 15th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Honestly as long as Janko comes back to form I could care less about the other 3 :tape: . Kuzzie has overachieved imo, Ivanovic as well to a lesser extent, and Safina is, well Safina :lol: .

JCTennisFan
Jul 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Out of all of those, I still have the belief that Kuznetsova and Jankovic can play high quality tennis.

With Kuznetsova she's always going to be a hot and cold player. That's her definition. So I wouldn't be surprised if she sneaked in a slam or two.

With Jankovic, it's such a big shame. She's such a wasted talent. I think she'll look back on this time in her career and feel saddened that she didn't maximise her talent.

It was quite telling with Jankovic that in her first (and only) slam final she was able to play Serena so tightly. The likes of Safina and Ivanovic crumbled.

That would be because Jankovic is far and away the most talented person out of the 4, no doubt about it. I really think that Janko not winning a slam, while Ivanovic, who is an inferior player, did really messed with her head. IMO Jankovic put on a better performance in her GS Final than Ivanovic did in her FO win, which HAS to play mind games with Janko. Sometimes thats the way the cookie crumbles though, and she should be more mentally tough. It took Kim a long time to dominate.... but she eventually did. Janko has a similar, albiet less aggressive game, and I believe it will take her a bit longer as well. But her mind is gonna give out before her best patch will come around. Such a Shame, get your head on straight girl! :help:

C. Drone
Jul 15th, 2011, 10:21 PM
That would be because Jankovic is far and away the most talented person out of the 4, no doubt about it. I really think that Janko not winning a slam, while Ivanovic, who is an inferior player, did really messed with her head. IMO Jankovic put on a better performance in her GS Final than Ivanovic did in her FO win, which HAS to play mind games with Janko. Sometimes thats the way the cookie crumbles though, and she should be more mentally tough. It took Kim a long time to dominate.... but she eventually did. Janko has a similar, albiet less aggressive game, and I believe it will take her a bit longer as well. But her mind is gonna give out before her best patch will come around. Such a Shame, get your head on straight girl! :help:

:spit:
only TF.

Curtos07
Jul 15th, 2011, 10:40 PM
If she dumps him again after a while too, I'm seriously going to start disliking her.

She never dumped him before. He left due to personal issues.

JCTennisFan
Jul 15th, 2011, 10:40 PM
:spit:
only TF.

Im so sorry you dont agree (actually Im not, honestly. you made a fool of yourself with that post, showing your blatant immaturity). Tell me how Kuzzie is better? More accomplished, yes, but an absolutely FUGLY hitter of the ball. Makes me CRINGE everytime I watch her play, she makes the game look so difficult/ugly. NOTHING effortless about her game, I can tell you that much.

Ivanovic is simply a slow power hitter, with the mind of a midget. She is basically a slightly faster Davenport that does everything else much WORSE than Lindsay did. Barring her fluke FO her career has been worse than Janko's.

Safina will go down as the WORST number 1 female player to ever grace the sport. She will be remembered as the sister of Marat who had none of his grace or natural talent. No suprise she got injured, her body was only slightly more suited to tennis than Davenports (which was the worst suited body for a top tennis player ever.... yet she still WON 3 slams...). Made the game look as ugly as Kuzzie does, nothing looked easy about her game, always looking forced and cringeworthy. she was a grinder with a fugly game, nothing more or less.

Curtos07
Jul 15th, 2011, 10:43 PM

:spit: :lol: This is beyond laughable. To say JJ is superior to Ana is utter bullshit when considering Ana has actually won a slam, been to 3 slam finals and has dominated JJ in the H2H 7-3. I'll take Ana's game when it's on over JJ's. Oh, and Ana is 3 years younger.

JCTennisFan
Jul 15th, 2011, 10:51 PM
:spit: :lol: This is beyond laughable. To say JJ is superior to Ana is utter bullshit when considering Ana has actually won a slam, been to 3 slam finals and has dominated JJ in the H2H 7-3. I'll take Ana's game when it's on over JJ's. Oh, and Ana is 3 years younger.

We shall see, seeing as how Ivanovic has been considered a joke for SOME time now... Janko has only this year started to slide. Janko without a doubt in peak form has a VASTLY more well-rounded game than Ivanovic. Its not even close. Ivanovic can hit the ball harder, and rarely (note RARELY) serves better. She moves like a BUS compared to Jankovic, isnt nearly as adaptable, and has no shot that looked as effortless and sublime as Janko's BH when Janko was on top (nope, Ivanovic's forehand while nice when on top, was FAR from being the best FH on tour. Janko's BH was the best BH in 2008, no question about it).

Break My Rapture
Jul 15th, 2011, 10:55 PM
She never dumped him before. He left due to personal issues.
Oh. Why did he go to Sharapova, Zvonareva and Azarenka after that though? As I recall, he was still Vika's fitness trainer during Wimbledon.

Cajka
Jul 15th, 2011, 11:08 PM
This is so ridiculous. They are all very talented.

justineheninfan
Jul 15th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Im so sorry you dont agree (actually Im not, honestly. you made a fool of yourself with that post, showing your blatant immaturity). Tell me how Kuzzie is better? More accomplished, yes, but an absolutely FUGLY hitter of the ball. Makes me CRINGE everytime I watch her play, she makes the game look so difficult/ugly. NOTHING effortless about her game, I can tell you that much.

Ivanovic is simply a slow power hitter, with the mind of a midget. She is basically a slightly faster Davenport that does everything else much WORSE than Lindsay did. Barring her fluke FO her career has been worse than Janko's.

Safina will go down as the WORST number 1 female player to ever grace the sport. She will be remembered as the sister of Marat who had none of his grace or natural talent. No suprise she got injured, her body was only slightly more suited to tennis than Davenports (which was the worst suited body for a top tennis player ever.... yet she still WON 3 slams...). Made the game look as ugly as Kuzzie does, nothing looked easy about her game, always looking forced and cringeworthy. she was a grinder with a fugly game, nothing more or less.

For once we agree on something. Kuznetsova is really a huge OVERachiever to even have 2 slams. I dont like to dump on certain players, she is a good player of course and seems like a fun person. However it is hard to just sit by and read these over the top comments insanely overrating her over and over and never say anything. :lol: How can she be this big underachiever with 2 freaking slams. She is basically a Dementieva and Jankovic level player and they have 0 slams. And people thinking she ought to have more, she is already tied with players like Mauresmo and Pierce who anyone who has watched tennis awhile should know were at a far higher level overall as players, and far more of a threat in their eras, than Kuznetsova. And people basically saying she should have as many or more slams than people like Davenport, Wade, Capriati, Jones, in her mid 20s, is just :help:

I agree with you on Safina too. She is by far the worst #1 ability wise ever. Nobody feared her, the Williams would beat her in 40 minutes outside of clay, and even players outside the top 100 or players like Tanasugarn beat or owned her at her 1-2 year peak. She is basically a top 20 caliber player when at her very best in a Hayley's Comet rarity like miracle somehow got to #1 for a bit. She should be given major praise as one of the biggest overachievers ever to not only reach #1 but somehow make 3 slam finals. With her game it was a miracle. I dont understand people thinking she is better than players like Ivanovic, Jankovic, or even Wozniacki at all.

I dont know if I agree Jankovic is by far the most talented of the group. I think Jankovic, Kuznetsova, and Ivanovic are about the same level talent wise. Jankovic is an underachiever though, definitely the biggest underachiever of the group considering how young Ivanovic is.

Cajka
Jul 15th, 2011, 11:22 PM
She is by far the worst #1 ability wise ever. Nobody feared her, the Williams would beat her in 40 minutes outside of clay, and even players outside the top 100 or players like Tanasugarn beat or owned her at her 1-2 year peak. She is basically a top 20 caliber player when at her very best in a Hayley's Comet rarity like miracle somehow got to #1 for a bit. She should be given major praise as one of the biggest overachievers ever to not only reach #1 but somehow make 3 slam finals. With her game it was a miracle. I dont understand people thinking she is better than players like Ivanovic, Jankovic, or even Wozniacki at all.

Are you sure that you're talking about her abilities or talent? For me, it's more about the mindset.

justineheninfan
Jul 16th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I never thought her abilities were exceptional. What was she actually? A ball basher with strained strokes, and a crappy serve who many women could beat at her only game. She moved poorly except on clay, she wasnt good on defense, she had little feel, little variety, little point construction, no volleys, and while she had a good power ground game (her only real strength) she could never slug it out with the likes of Kvitova or Serena. Her mental weakness was exagerrated. By the time she got to slam finals she was just overmatched skill wise by the opponent on the other side. As I mentioned her making 3 slam finals was a miracle to begin with.

Curtos07
Jul 16th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Oh. Why did he go to Sharapova, Zvonareva and Azarenka after that though? As I recall, he was still Vika's fitness trainer during Wimbledon.

I'm not sure. But that is what Ana's website says. There could have been other reasons we don't know of, though.

Curtos07
Jul 16th, 2011, 03:34 AM
We shall see, seeing as how Ivanovic has been considered a joke for SOME time now... Janko has only this year started to slide. Janko without a doubt in peak form has a VASTLY more well-rounded game than Ivanovic. Its not even close. Ivanovic can hit the ball harder, and rarely (note RARELY) serves better. She moves like a BUS compared to Jankovic, isnt nearly as adaptable, and has no shot that looked as effortless and sublime as Janko's BH when Janko was on top (nope, Ivanovic's forehand while nice when on top, was FAR from being the best FH on tour. Janko's BH was the best BH in 2008, no question about it).

Uh, Ana's forehand was considered the best back in 2007 and 2008. Some even compared it to Graff's. And while her serve wasn't always consistent, it was a powerful weapon when it was on.

Singleniacki
Jul 16th, 2011, 10:01 AM
even Ivanovic

Hingis :oh:

C. Drone
Jul 16th, 2011, 03:46 PM

:haha:

your post based on nothing else just personal preference, taste or pleasure.
Do you want to compare the "greatness" of players by that? where is the measure? How do you define that? What is talent?
This is just another big pile of elusive bullshit. Nothing more.

JCTennisFan
Jul 16th, 2011, 08:11 PM
:haha:

your post based on nothing else just personal preference, taste or pleasure.
Do you want to compare the "greatness" of players by that? where is the measure? How do you define that? What is talent?
This is just another big pile of elusive bullshit. Nothing more.

Your post kinda proves you have nothing to back your claims up. Your like one of those guys that scoffs at someone but when asked to explain why they scoffed have no awnser.. You just didnt like what I said and thusly you had to act like a child to make yourself look cool. Fine with me, I know I actually have the skills to explain WHY I believe the way I do.

In MY opinion, a great tennis player should make the sport look effortless, easy, something they could do in their sleep. The only player out of the 4 that made it look that was way Jankovic in 2008. None of the others are close. Compare Janko's game of 2008 to the other 3's peak games and they look laboured and strained in comparison to Janko's fluid, effortless play. She made it look so easy and enjoyable.. and often times she was smiling and cutting up while she was blasting winners.

Her natural talent put the other 3 to shame, sorry but its true. She moved beautifully, almost like she glided around on the court. Her backhand was near perfection at its' height, such a wonderful combination of power,precision, and consistency. None of the others had a shot like Janko did in 2008. Janko is just a headcase from time to time, thats her worst problem. But that was Kimberly's problem too... and she eventually went on to become a dominate force. I just hope Janko will stay mentally strong enough to get through this rough patch....

laurie
Jul 16th, 2011, 08:26 PM
The difference is that Li and Schiavone base their games on power/shotmaking, which doesn't deteriate that markedly by late 20s/early 30s. Jankovic, on the other hand, predicates her game on defense, which is something that for almost every player hits the skids by the mid-20s. Imo, she's already lost some explosiveness in her movement, and it's only going to get worse every year from here on in. Look at Lleyton Hewitt and Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario - they were as mentally tough as they come, but once they hit 26, they were well past their peak because they were a step slower and didn't have the ballstriking skills to compensate (like Jankovic).

She "came back" to a solid #11/12 sort of level, but her form last year never indicated she was about to contend for Slams anytime soon. So I don't see how her form last year contradicts what the poster said (about her settling for a top 20 level). The fact is she hasn't shown championship-winning form for more than 3 years now.

Yes, I'm afraid put like that its not looking good for Jankovic. Micheal Chang went the same way as well. I hope somehow Jankovic can get it together before its too late.

JCTennisFan
Jul 16th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Uh, Ana's forehand was considered the best back in 2007 and 2008. Some even compared it to Graff's. And while her serve wasn't always consistent, it was a powerful weapon when it was on.

And not to burst your bubble or anything.... but Henin's forehand was the best forehand of 2007.... I still remember how the commentators constantly talked about roger and henin both dominating the tour respectively that year. 2007 was henin's best year... which was why it was such a shock when she retired the very next year.

And in 2008 id say Serena's forehand was the best. Ivanovic was in the top 3 those 2 years.... but she really never had the best forehand on tour at any one point..

justineheninfan
Jul 16th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I agree Henin had the best forehand in 2007. In 2008 either Serena or Maria had the best forehand, but say Serena since Maria only played half the year. Ana never had the very best forehand, just one of the best. Maybe the best on clay in 2008 but that is as far as I would go.

JCTennisFan
Jul 16th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Yes, I'm afraid put like that its not looking good for Jankovic. Micheal Chang went the same way as well. I hope somehow Jankovic can get it together before its too late.

The difference is that ASV was NEVER able to hit with power. She will probably go down as having the least powerful game of any GS winner... she just moved EXCEPTIONALLY well. Hewitt was a grinder... his strokes were never all that special... but he moved and defended great. Neither ASV or Hewitt had a stroke like Janko's BH throughout their careers.... their weapons were largely their speed and minds, but mostly speed. Janko's game doesnt require her to move as fast as the other 2... though it is still a very important fundamental part of her game. And compared to ASV and Hewitt, Janko was a much more GRACEFUL mover, the other two were scramblers.

justineheninfan
Jul 16th, 2011, 08:39 PM
ASV at her peak from 94-96 was not lacking in power IMHO. Maybe compared to Graf or Seles, but not to most of the top players. Her backhand at her best was even better than Jankovic's I feel actually.

marineblue
Jul 16th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Kuznetsova and JJ are already probably planning retirement. They both seem to be pretty over and done with tennis. Safina is struggling with injuries so I doubt she will be able to put it together again.
Ana has a lot to work on with regards to her mental strenght and also her game. She could improve now that she has a new team around her.

laurie
Jul 16th, 2011, 08:43 PM
ASV at her peak from 94-96 was not lacking in power IMHO. Maybe compared to Graf or Seles, but not to most of the top players. Her backhand at her best was even better than Jankovic's I feel actually.

In mens tennis forums and on youtube, a lot of people (younger I assume?) have a go at McEnroe. But I've seen matches of McEnroe from the mid 1980s on DVD and I think his power was more deceptive than people might realise. Sanchez Vicario could be in a similar category because her strokes could do some damage, allowing her to attack the net etc etc.

JCTennisFan
Jul 16th, 2011, 08:45 PM

We shall agree to disagree on that one :) . I believe the thing that ASV simply did much better than Janko was that she was much more mentally strong. ASV was like a bulldog, she never stopped fighting never stopped trying to win, no matter what the score. Same with Hewitt, hewitt was basically a Nadal type player without the power/shotmaking. Janko in comparison to these two is a mental midget, and this much I will easily admit. But that doesnt detract from the fact that her physical capability is better than ASV or Hewitt, she has the shotmaking ability that neither of them had, imo. ASV was able to redirect power better than Janko, but produce it? No.

laurie
Jul 16th, 2011, 08:47 PM
The difference is that ASV was NEVER able to hit with power. She will probably go down as having the least powerful game of any GS winner... she just moved EXCEPTIONALLY well. Hewitt was a grinder... his strokes were never all that special... but he moved and defended great. Neither ASV or Hewitt had a stroke like Janko's BH throughout their careers.... their weapons were largely their speed and minds, but mostly speed. Janko's game doesnt require her to move as fast as the other 2... though it is still a very important fundamental part of her game. And compared to ASV and Hewitt, Janko was a much more GRACEFUL mover, the other two were scramblers.

I wrote this on Bleacher Report in March 2010. The answer has clearly been No :(

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/370615-jelena-jankovic-ready-to-win-a-grand-slam-title

As we know, Jelena Jankovic pulled off a great win at Indian Wells two weeks ago. She looked impressiveve in the quarterfinals, semi finals, and final against Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark, who is the No. 2 player in the world at the moment.

It got me thinking whether Jelena has gotten over her troubles of last season and is now in contention to win a Grand Slam title this year. Let’s assess where Jelena is at right now.

Jelena Jankovic was a world junior No. 1, but took some time to find her feet in the senior tour. Her breakthrough year was 2006 when she got to the semifinal of the US Open, and posted other good results in the hard court season that year. Big things were predicted for her, as Jelena has a game that’s quite pleasing on the eye.

Jelena’s strengths are her movement and backhand (particularly her backhand down the line), her on-court smarts, and her ability to play a strategic game of tennis. Jelena also has a very good transition game coming forward to net.

Jelena’s weaknesses? Her serve—particularly her second serve, which is extremely attackable—has prevented her so far from winning a Major title, because in the really important matches against the best players you need to have a reliable second serve.

Due to Jelena’s counter-punching style, at times she can be too passive, or at least she has been in the past, and it has cost her.

Her coach last year, Ricardo Sanchez, tried to get Jelena to play more aggressively and to get stronger by working out more in the gym. That strategy didn’t seem to work, and her game suffered. She posted poor results at both Wimbledon and the US Open, and she didn’t look happy.

This year, Jelena has been working with a new coach—a chap named Chip Brooks, who has been at the Nick Bollittieri academy for a number of years.

Chip has been impressing on Jelena to play much further up the court and not concede too much territory behind the baseline. Chip has also been helping Jelena to go for more on her first and second serves; after all, Jelena is quite tall so should be able to deliver a strong serve more often than she has been doing.

Chip has also been advising Jelena how to approach different opponent’s games. Chip has an impressiveve resume...I understand he has worked with Courier, Agassi, and Sampras when they were youths at the Bollittieri academy.

The results were there for everyone to see. I thought that was the smartest and best I’ve seen Jelena play for a number of years. What really impressed me was how often Jelena held her serve in those matches—she was hardly broken at all. Jelena usually has a harder time holding serve consistently.

In conclusion, I was beginning to think that Jelena’s career might be starting to stagnate after her poor 2009 (by her standards, considering she was No. 1 in the world for 18 weeks in 2008 and reached the final of the US Open, losing to Serena Williams).

However, the coaching change and the win in Indian Wells might just make Jelena Jankovic a contender for the remaining three slams this year.

Jelena has always had the ability and game to win a Major title. Hopefully she has found the self belief, physical discipline, and mental discipline to take on the challenge of really having a go at the slams, and at least be able to join those talented players who were able to win a Major title at least once in their careers...let's hope so.

The Daviator
Jul 16th, 2011, 08:58 PM

You are aware that Ana's FO win included a victory against JJ? :lol:

It's always funny when JJ supporters try to diminish Ana's RG win, they always seem to forget who she beat en route to the title :rolls:

JCTennisFan
Jul 16th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I wrote this on Bleacher Report in March 2010. The answer has clearly been No :(

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/370615-jelena-jankovic-ready-to-win-a-grand-slam-title

As we know, Jelena Jankovic pulled off a great win at Indian Wells two weeks ago. She looked impressiveve in the quarterfinals, semi finals, and final against Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark, who is the No. 2 player in the world at the moment.

It got me thinking whether Jelena has gotten over her troubles of last season and is now in contention to win a Grand Slam title this year. Let’s assess where Jelena is at right now.

Jelena Jankovic was a world junior No. 1, but took some time to find her feet in the senior tour. Her breakthrough year was 2006 when she got to the semifinal of the US Open, and posted other good results in the hard court season that year. Big things were predicted for her, as Jelena has a game that’s quite pleasing on the eye.

Jelena’s strengths are her movement and backhand (particularly her backhand down the line), her on-court smarts, and her ability to play a strategic game of tennis. Jelena also has a very good transition game coming forward to net.

Jelena’s weaknesses? Her serve—particularly her second serve, which is extremely attackable—has prevented her so far from winning a Major title, because in the really important matches against the best players you need to have a reliable second serve.

Due to Jelena’s counter-punching style, at times she can be too passive, or at least she has been in the past, and it has cost her.

Her coach last year, Ricardo Sanchez, tried to get Jelena to play more aggressively and to get stronger by working out more in the gym. That strategy didn’t seem to work, and her game suffered. She posted poor results at both Wimbledon and the US Open, and she didn’t look happy.

This year, Jelena has been working with a new coach—a chap named Chip Brooks, who has been at the Nick Bollittieri academy for a number of years.

Chip has been impressing on Jelena to play much further up the court and not concede too much territory behind the baseline. Chip has also been helping Jelena to go for more on her first and second serves; after all, Jelena is quite tall so should be able to deliver a strong serve more often than she has been doing.

Chip has also been advising Jelena how to approach different opponent’s games. Chip has an impressiveve resume...I understand he has worked with Courier, Agassi, and Sampras when they were youths at the Bollittieri academy.

The results were there for everyone to see. I thought that was the smartest and best I’ve seen Jelena play for a number of years. What really impressed me was how often Jelena held her serve in those matches—she was hardly broken at all. Jelena usually has a harder time holding serve consistently.

In conclusion, I was beginning to think that Jelena’s career might be starting to stagnate after her poor 2009 (by her standards, considering she was No. 1 in the world for 18 weeks in 2008 and reached the final of the US Open, losing to Serena Williams).

However, the coaching change and the win in Indian Wells might just make Jelena Jankovic a contender for the remaining three slams this year.

Jelena has always had the ability and game to win a Major title. Hopefully she has found the self belief, physical discipline, and mental discipline to take on the challenge of really having a go at the slams, and at least be able to join those talented players who were able to win a Major title at least once in their careers...let's hope so.

well written, and I agree with you. The only thing that has ever held jelena back has been Jelena herself. I honestly really wish she could talk to Mauresmo, get the number to her sports counselor. Mauresmo was probably the biggest mental headcase of the past 20 years (along with Notvona, which had a strikingly similar career..) but managed to fix it long enough to get 2 slams. Janko NEEDS to goto a counselor to help her get through her mental block.

JCTennisFan
Jul 16th, 2011, 09:01 PM
You are aware that Ana's FO win included a victory against JJ? :lol:

It's always funny when JJ supporters try to diminish Ana's RG win, they always seem to forget who she beat en route to the title :rolls:

Sigh, do you even listen to my posts? The only thing that allowed Ivanovic to win was that Janko was a headcase, ala Kim/Henin in their early years. I always believed Kim was the more naturally talented of the two... but Henin was the mentally stronger. Same deal with Janko/Ivanovic.

The Daviator
Jul 16th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Sigh, do you even listen to my posts? The only thing that allowed Ivanovic to win was that Janko was a headcase, ala Kim/Henin in their early years. I always believed Kim was the more naturally talented of the two... but Henin was the mentally stronger. Same deal with Janko/Ivanovic.

Why would I do that? :lol: You're just yet another poster that attributes their favourite's inadequacies to nonsense like 'she's a headcase', when in fact, it's clear that when Ivanovic is in the zone, she is far too pro-active and aggressive to allow Jankovic do anything but spectate. Something she's demonstrated numerous times in the past, look up their H2H. :wavey:

Mountain Ana
Jul 16th, 2011, 09:07 PM

You really think that Ivanovic is mentally stronger than Janko (or at all mental strong)? :lol:
And I thought Ana's fans were deluded :confused:

JCTennisFan
Jul 16th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Sigh... against one another. Not against other players.... They friggen grew up together. Simply put Jankovic had mental hiccups playing against Ivanovic.... and Ivanovic did not have the same hiccups. Im talking specifically about their H2H against EACH OTHER. Its called reading the whole post... not picking out parts you want to read and ignoring the rest...

JCTennisFan
Jul 16th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Why would I do that? :lol: You're just yet another poster that attributes their favourite's inadequacies to nonsense like 'she's a headcase', when in fact, it's clear that when Ivanovic is in the zone, she is far too pro-active and aggressive to allow Jankovic do anything but spectate. Something she's demonstrated numerous times in the past, look up their H2H. :wavey:

For having 20,000 posts you certaintly arent he brightest ever are you? How often was Ivanovic in the "zone"? 6 weeks in her entire life? thats probably being over-generous, actually. Jankovic consistently put up a much higher level than Ivanovic ever did.....

And btw, Jankovic isnt my favorite..... That would be the woman that my screen name on this forum is named after... I do admit I do like her.... but she isnt my favorite. I just call it as I see it, and how I see it is that Janko is far and away the more naturally gifted/talented of the two.

The Daviator
Jul 16th, 2011, 09:31 PM
For having 20,000 posts you certaintly arent he brightest ever are you? How often was Ivanovic in the "zone"? 6 weeks in her entire life? thats probably being over-generous, actually. Jankovic consistently put up a much higher level than Ivanovic ever did.....

And btw, Jankovic isnt my favorite..... That would be the woman that my screen name on this forum is named after... I do admit I do like her.... but she isnt my favorite. I just call it as I see it, and how I see it is that Janko is far and away the more naturally gifted/talented of the two.

You said "Her natural talent put the other 3 to shame..." so why couldn't she put Ana to shame??? Then you backtrack and say she has 'mental hiccups', and you say I'm not bright...:facepalm:

JCTennisFan
Jul 16th, 2011, 09:36 PM
You said "Her natural talent put the other 3 to shame..." so why couldn't she put Ana to shame??? Then you backtrack and say she has 'mental hiccups', and you say I'm not bright...:facepalm:

Im sorry, but the difference here is that you are lumping physical talent in with mental fortitude.. where as I do not. Jankovic IS far and away more naturally talented, physically speaking. But her mental fortitude has always been her largest weakness, in my opinion. And for whatever reason, when she plays Ivanovic, she puts up a rather large mental block which prevents her from winning, most of the time.

laurie
Jul 16th, 2011, 09:51 PM
well written, and I agree with you. The only thing that has ever held jelena back has been Jelena herself. I honestly really wish she could talk to Mauresmo, get the number to her sports counselor. Mauresmo was probably the biggest mental headcase of the past 20 years (along with Notvona, which had a strikingly similar career..) but managed to fix it long enough to get 2 slams. Janko NEEDS to goto a counselor to help her get through her mental block.

Speaking of Mauresmo and Novotna, I wrote an article last year comparing their similarities to Wimbledon glory

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/356064-jana-novotna-and-amelie-mauresmos-similar-path-to-wimbledon-success

J4m3ka
Jul 16th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I agree with justineheninfan about Kuznetsova. A combination of 2 occurred; she didn't want to be in the one slam wonder club and she was playing Serena Williams in the quarters. She is another player of the Pironkova calibre, who will play the match of their life against the sisters and then lose to god knows who in their next event. After defeating Serena she basically had a cake walk to the championship: an inexperienced Stosur and the obligatory exhibition match against Dinara in the final. If Sveta was in any other quarter in 2009 she probably would not have won the French that year.

The Empress looks done to me as well. Even in 2008 she lacked a champions mind and was not what I would consider a fighter, the situation is even worse today. Prime example being in the USO final when she spent every change-over giggling at the points being played on the big screen. Her BH has deteriorated along with the rest of her game and she has changed her service motion so much she now looks like a robot gone into malfunction mode.

I am in two minds about Safina. It is sad that her back has given her so much grief, but my sympathy runs short when she is televised toppling dramatically between rollers on a Russian obstacle course. I think she has had enough but who can blame her after all the humiliation she went through.

As far as coming back to good form goes RIP is probably the most likely candidate, and I even say that with a pinch of salt. Once her god awful ball toss is corrected and she gets confidence going on her serve, her FH will probably follow suit. Her BH is still lacking though which makes me think that clay will still be her surface of choice.

justineheninfan
Jul 16th, 2011, 11:18 PM
People say I am hard on Safina but I will always admire her for making as much out of her career as she did. I genuinely cant believe someone with as little talent as her (relatively to the very elite) made 3 slam finals. She should be commended for making as much of herself as she did, not bashed as much as she is. She got to #1 by accident basically through hitting a purple patch of form, the state of disarray of the WTA at the time, the real best players like Serena focusing on the majors more than the tour, and some other variables. She is even more over her head as a #1 than Wozniacki is, and that is saying something, so it was all too predictable she implode under the extreme pressure of a position so far out of range with her true talent and ability (even at her best). Of course that was compounded by terrible back injuries which were unfortunate when she was already going through a tough time mentally, dealing with the unexpected new pressures. The slam finals she lost she played better players in all of them, it wasnt her fault really.

That what she has been seen doing of late carries high risk of injury and is pretty much proof she doesnt care about tennis or ever getting back into it at this point. Which is understandable somewhat.

I agree Kuznetsova like many players really gets up for the Williams, especialy Serena. The best matches I have ever seen her play are mostly against Serena, especialy the hard court ones, where despite her U.S Open title she is usually creamed by the big girls but gives Serena a handful each time it seems (clay is her best surface by far).

Ivanovic frusterates me since while I am not a big fan she should be a big part of the games future and present. This is around the time players like her should be taking over, but instead she seems to be sabatoging herself and becoming more of a mental mess by the day. Even at her best she doesnt have the complete game of the recent most dominant players, but she has the weapons to be at the top and be winning several more slams amongst the current crop for sure. It wont happen unless she makes some serious changes though, including in attitude.

C. Drone
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Your post kinda proves you have nothing to back your claims up. Your like one of those guys that scoffs at someone but when asked to explain why they scoffed have no awnser.. You just didnt like what I said and thusly you had to act like a child to make yourself look cool. Fine with me, I know I actually have the skills to explain WHY I believe the way I do.

In MY opinion, a great tennis player should make the sport look effortless, easy, something they could do in their sleep. The only player out of the 4 that made it look that was way Jankovic in 2008. None of the others are close. Compare Janko's game of 2008 to the other 3's peak games and they look laboured and strained in comparison to Janko's fluid, effortless play. She made it look so easy and enjoyable.. and often times she was smiling and cutting up while she was blasting winners.

Her natural talent put the other 3 to shame, sorry but its true. She moved beautifully, almost like she glided around on the court. Her backhand was near perfection at its' height, such a wonderful combination of power,precision, and consistency. None of the others had a shot like Janko did in 2008. Janko is just a headcase from time to time, thats her worst problem. But that was Kimberly's problem too... and she eventually went on to become a dominate force. I just hope Janko will stay mentally strong enough to get through this rough patch....

I think you should put more effort in comprehensive reading than overanalyzing other posters.

You are comparing players and choosing a superior one based on your personal preferences. But that can be the measure. Do you really think a cute backhand and gliding (WTF?!) are real facts? lmao.

Maybe try to put more logic in your comments next time, and not just another of your Jankotard poems.

C. Drone
Jul 17th, 2011, 08:25 AM
People say I am hard on Safina but I will always admire her for making as much out of her career as she did. I genuinely cant believe someone with as little talent as her (relatively to the very elite) made 3 slam finals. She should be commended for making as much of herself as she did, not bashed as much as she is. She got to #1 by accident basically through hitting a purple patch of form, the state of disarray of the WTA at the time, the real best players like Serena focusing on the majors more than the tour, and some other variables. She is even more over her head as a #1 than Wozniacki is, and that is saying something, so it was all too predictable she implode under the extreme pressure of a position so far out of range with her true talent and ability (even at her best). Of course that was compounded by terrible back injuries which were unfortunate when she was already going through a tough time mentally, dealing with the unexpected new pressures. The slam finals she lost she played better players in all of them, it wasnt her fault really.

That what she has been seen doing of late carries high risk of injury and is pretty much proof she doesnt care about tennis or ever getting back into it at this point. Which is understandable somewhat.

I agree Kuznetsova like many players really gets up for the Williams, especialy Serena. The best matches I have ever seen her play are mostly against Serena, especialy the hard court ones, where despite her U.S Open title she is usually creamed by the big girls but gives Serena a handful each time it seems (clay is her best surface by far).

Ivanovic frusterates me since while I am not a big fan she should be a big part of the games future and present. This is around the time players like her should be taking over, but instead she seems to be sabatoging herself and becoming more of a mental mess by the day. Even at her best she doesnt have the complete game of the recent most dominant players, but she has the weapons to be at the top and be winning several more slams amongst the current crop for sure. It wont happen unless she makes some serious changes though, including in attitude.

oh just try to STFU for good. You writing thousand of characters every time somebody brings up her name. No one cares anymore. Why you still obsessed?

Cajka
Jul 17th, 2011, 11:28 AM
What was that thread? "Does this board overreact?" I understand that some Justine's fans might have a reason not to like Safina and that some Ana's or JJ's fans don't really love the other Serb, but writing so much crap about those girls, totally discrediting them is just :facepalm:

Ivanovic2008
Jul 17th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I don't like Jankovic but you can't discredit her. Ana and Jelena both have a lot of talent. Ana was just able to use it at the right times. It's pretty simple.

toxina90
Jul 17th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I think what has helped Jankovic before is her game is relatively safe. Compared to the others less can go wrong, so it's a matter of time and her just pulling her finger out again like after that 10 match losing streak :help:

RenaSlam.
Jul 17th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Kuznetsova is the biggest mystery of all.

18majors
Jul 17th, 2011, 06:36 PM
It will be good for the games if Ana returns to top 5 again.