PDA

View Full Version : WTT: Hingis (NYS) d. Oudin (PHI) 53

Jane Lane
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Okay, so now that Martina has resurrected herself from her dealer's basement, I can ask this.

WTF DOES HAIL WINGIS MEAN.

But it was great to see Oudin outsmarted and completely confused.

petkoan
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Its absolutely baffling to me: I saw the match, Hingis is at the fittest I remember her, running around the court like she is still a teenager, hitting deep, good 1st serve, amazing volleys etc. I didn't expect her to be playing like this. On the other hand Oudin is not at her best now, but she still a top 100 player. Wingis!

Melange
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Strong performance from Melanie against a former no 1. Keep fighting. Keeping herself in prime shape. The US hc events are coming and thats where she is at her most dangerous.

Melange
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Its absolutely baffling to me: I saw the match, Hingis is at the fittest I remember her, running around the court like she is still a teenager, hitting deep, good 1st serve, amazing volleys etc. I didn't expect her to be playing like this. On the other hand Oudin is not at her best now, but she still a top 100 player. Wingis!

yes but if Hingis plays a few months on the tour, all the old health problems will reappear, just like with Justine. Better for her to just play exhibitions and occasional Olympics doubles

Potato
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Strong performance from Melanie against a former no 1. Keep fighting. Keeping herself in prime shape. The US hc events are coming and thats where she is at her most dangerous.

Sorry to break it to you, but Melanie is not dangerous anywhere. I really don't see how you can take any positives from losing to a 30 year old retired player.

Jane Lane
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:51 AM
yes but if Hingis plays a few months on the tour, all the old health problems will reappear, just like with Justine. Better for her to just play exhibitions and occasional Olympics doubles

I'm petty sure Justine fell and ripped up her elbow tendon. That's not an old health problem. :lol:

Melange
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:52 AM
i think she was already having problems after playing a few tournaments, before the elbow

Solitaire
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Hingis does look good. I wouldn't take much away from a few WTT matches. CoCo and Mel can barely win matches on tour it's not surprising Hingis can beat them in a shortened format.

delicatecutter
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:58 AM
No doubt Hingis could do quite well if she came back. Possibly reach the Top 10 again. But this girl was used to being the phenom everyone loved or loved to hate. She was #1 forever without any Slams. She knows neither of those are attainable anymore so she will never come back.

moodin0931
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Oudin has one the most amount of games against Hingis so far in singles! Hingis is playing really good! She is still definitely fit and ready for the next level. Melanie did not play that bad. :shrug:

But still impressive! :cheer:

Melanie's most certainly improving! :woohoo:

Brad[le]y.
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Its absolutely baffling to me: I saw the match, Hingis is at the fittest I remember her, running around the court like she is still a teenager, hitting deep, good 1st serve, amazing volleys etc. I didn't expect her to be playing like this. On the other hand Oudin is not at her best now, but she still a top 100 player. Wingis!She's ranked 100 exactly :p

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Melanie is very slowly improving, but she is still nowhere near what she needs to be in order to hang with the big gals.

Hingis looks amazing. I Really wish she would try to play just a few more seasons with a comeback. I think she could win a few more tournaments for sure.

Steven.
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:46 AM
if anyone should get praise here, it is Martina, not Oudin. :lol:

Sund7101
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:48 AM
I love watching Hingis at the net. She is still so good!

rimon
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:49 AM
No doubt Hingis could do quite well if she came back. Possibly reach the Top 10 again. But this girl was used to being the phenom everyone loved or loved to hate. She was #1 forever without any Slams. She knows neither of those are attainable anymore so she will never come back.

How can you say that with 100% certainty? Would you have ever believed that Schiavone or Li would win RG?

LeonHart
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Melanie is very slowly improving, but she is still nowhere near what she needs to be in order to hang with the big gals.

Hingis looks amazing. I Really wish she would try to play just a few more seasons with a comeback. I think she could win a few more tournaments for sure.

Hingis will never come back. The ITF fucked her over and Hingis will never forgive them.

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Allez :cheer:

Legend.

Smitten
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:03 AM
THE LEGEND. :bowdown:

Brad[le]y.
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:19 AM
How can you say that with 100% certainty? Would you have ever believed that Schiavone or Li would win RG?or that Capriati would come back from a set and 2-6 down in a tiebreak in the AO final :sad:

spencercarlos
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:34 AM
or that Capriati would come back from a set and 2-6 down in a tiebreak in the AO final :sad:
Hingis never let this tiebreak 6-2

doktor
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Nice work Martina :cheer:

rimon
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:41 AM
or that Capriati would come back from a set and 2-6 down in a tiebreak in the AO final :sad:

Martina did have 4 match points, but she never led 6-2 in the TB. In fact, Jennifer led 6-5, and Martina saved a set point with a brilliant backhand down the line winner. She then had a match point at 7-6, but had a bad call. Her shot hit the back of the line, but was called out.

In The Zone
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:44 AM

Exactly.

Plus, Martina Hingis can beat up on these girls and be ranked #30 in the world. However, when you've done it all, is putting your body both physically and mentally through the trudges of the tour worth it? No, it's not.

The only comeback in sight for Hingis is a possible doubles comeback where she would be #1, no doubt in my mind. A very fertile woman just got in the way of that methinks.

Brad[le]y.
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Hingis never let this tiebreak 6-2Sorry I just remember she had 4 championship points :p

Chrissie-fan
Jul 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hingis will never come back. The ITF fucked her over and Hingis will never forgive them.
I agree with that, actually. But it would nevertheless be nice to see her make a comeback in doubles, or team up with Federer and win an Olympic gold which would be a more fitting end to her career. We can only hope, but I somehow doubt that Federer will play mixed doubles at the Olympics. Singles, men's doubles, mixed doubles - that would be a lot of tennis for Fed to fit into one week. I don't think he'd be willing to jeopordize his chances in singles by playing too much since the Olympic gold is the only important singles title he hasn't got on his resumé.

Beat
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Strong performance from Melanie against a former no 1. Keep fighting.

errr, i haven't seen the match, but she just lost to a retired player.

marineblue
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:42 AM

No, Hingis, unlike Justine is not going to blindly follow all the orders of her coach without thinking about the consquences. And the possibility to play at the Olympics is enough of a motivation to keep herself in shape. If she returns she can be successful again.

Polikarpov
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Poodin.:sad:

Slutiana
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Wingis has played a ridiculous amount of tennis recently. And unlike last year, she's really taking at least the singles very seriously. She's clearly preparing for something.

Juanes
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:03 AM
:yeah:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Wingis has played a ridiculous amount of tennis recently. And unlike last year, she's really taking at least the singles very seriously. She's clearly preparing for something.

Thats the feeling I get. Legends doubles (Even though Lidnsay did most of the work) then this.

Misty
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I somehow doubt that Federer will play mixed doubles at the Olympics
some say, Roger's team were asking Martina if she would possibly return to pair up with Roger in the Olympics.:rolleyes:

duhcity
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Embarassing. Losing 3 games to Melanie.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:20 AM
some say, Roger's team were asking Martina if she would possibly return to pair up with Roger in the Olympics.:rolleyes:
I know. I've seen the thread.

18majors
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:27 PM
This was a fun match, sorry that I missed it.

Jogi
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I think Martina should come back, nobody expects her to win Grand Slams at this stage, but some doubles/ Mixed GSs and maybe a top20 singles ranking is within reach and she probably would regret not to have given it one last time in a couple of years... but I doubt she will, cause she already would have done so a year ago

barmaid
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I agree with that, actually. But it would nevertheless be nice to see her make a comeback in doubles, or team up with Federer and win an Olympic gold which would be a more fitting end to her career. We can only hope, but I somehow doubt that Federer will play mixed doubles at the Olympics. Singles, men's doubles, mixed doubles - that would be a lot of tennis for Fed to fit into one week. I don't think he'd be willing to jeopordize his chances in singles by playing too much since the Olympic gold is the only important singles title he hasn't got on his resumé.

But that possibility has been discussed on one of Martina's
fan -based boards and an exciting partnership indeed could happen! Let's face it, if you were deciding who to represent your country (Switzerland), wouldn't your choice me Marti and Roger?:bounce::hearts::worship:

Chrissie-fan
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:21 PM
But that possibility has been discussed on one of Martina's
fan -based boards and an exciting partnership indeed could happen! Let's face it, if you were deciding who to represent your country (Switzerland), wouldn't your choice me Marti and Roger?:bounce::hearts::worship:
If I had to decide I would say to Fed that he can only play the singles event if he'll also play the mixed with Martina. ;)

tonybotz
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:17 PM
i saw hingis play last night on the tennis channel - she was playing mixed doubles with Johnny Mac - she looked fitter than ever and was hitting the ball beautifully - but i said to myself "lets see how the serve is" - and it was horrible. i don't think i saw her make a first serve, often times barely getting it to the middle of the net. her second serve was even more vulnerable than ever.

Malkmus_
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:10 PM
:D It was nice to be able to watch this, thought she played well and is fitter than she was when she was last on the tour. I don't think she is coming back though, so I will just try to enjoy every chance I get to watch her play. :bounce:

Sammo
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:13 PM
i saw hingis play last night on the tennis channel - she was playing mixed doubles with Johnny Mac - she looked fitter than ever and was hitting the ball beautifully - but i said to myself "lets see how the serve is" - and it was horrible. i don't think i saw her make a first serve, often times barely getting it to the middle of the net. her second serve was even more vulnerable than ever.

Really? In Wimbledon was great, she was serving at about 100 mph and lots of first serves

Excelscior
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Hingis is a Wizard (minus the serve). And Oudin needs to hang em up, get better, or just be happy/get used to being ranked 70-80 during her (already peaked) career.

Smitten
Jul 15th, 2011, 03:56 PM
(Even though Lidnsay did most of the work) then this.

Hingis carried that local so hard. :lol: Did you even see all the matches?

shoparound
Jul 17th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Just saw the match on tv. Both played decent, Martina still has her feel and cleverness on the court.
Melanie has finally started losing weight, but still doesn't look like her 09 form. Her technique looks nice though.