PDA

View Full Version : Roger Federer Asks Martina Hingis to Come Back for London Olympics

OohZuzana
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:09 PM
http://www.thedailyforehand.com/2011/7/13/2274084/martina-hingis-roger-federer-olympics-mixed-doubles-london-comeback

I really, really hope this happens :drool:

Are there any other confirmed pairs besides Serena-Roddick and Jankovic-Tipsarevic (even though I'm not sure those two would get in necessarily?)

Sammo
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I saw that coming, well in my dreams, I hope it comes true!! :hearts:

Sammo
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Oh c'mon he didn't ask her directly to do it :(

TheHangover
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:13 PM
:hearts: god make this happen

GoofyDuck
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I really hope so.. they are definately gonna play mixed at Wimbledon then aswell and maybe FO :inlove:

But the article title is kinda deceiving :(

Chrissie-fan
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Roger!!! :worship::worship::worship: Now I know why he's my favorite male player.:lol:

I hope she does it. She's one of the best doubles players in history and Fed being Fed, well, they would be serious contenders for the medals. :yeah:

Blu€
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I hope it happens, it would be delicious to watch :hearts:

Leo St
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:32 PM
venus/bob vs hingis/federer.. i dig that

Kworb
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Yes please :sobbing: it would be the most amazing thing in the history of tennis. Especially if they won. :sobbing:

Djezonfly
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:40 PM
What a diss for Timea :sad:

King Halep
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Mirka will come out of retirement and play doubles with Roger

Jane Lane
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Please God. Then give us Gisela/del Potro. Amen.

doooma6816
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:52 PM
:inlove: Please God let it be true. :drool:

OohZuzana
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Please God. Then give us Gisela/del Potro. Amen.

Oh I could get down with that :D

But I think maybe Nalbandian is more likely?

SAISAI-GOAT
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:06 PM
how do they determine the entry list for the mixed doubles? Roger and Martina don't have doubles rankings so would they even get in the draw :shrug:

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:09 PM
If she couldnt get to the top 5 even with the assistance of Cocaine in her comeback, I doubt she'll put up a substantial fight. But out of all the swiss players for him to play with, she is the best {or was a one point..}.

Adrian.
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:09 PM
how do they determine the entry list for the mixed doubles? Roger and Martina don't have doubles rankings so would they even get in the draw :shrug:

:secret: WC :secret:

:oh:

Lucemferre
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:10 PM
If she couldnt get to the top 5 even with the assistance of Cocaine in her comeback, I doubt she'll put up a substantial fight. But out of all the swiss players for him to play with, she is the best {or was a one point..}.

Is this a joke?:tape::spit:

Olórin
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:10 PM

Proof that you really are a complete imbecile. As a Capriati fan you should appreciate that there are many substances that players take, that don't help their tennis. :facepalm:

adner
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:11 PM

FEDERER. This name is enough for an answer.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Proof that you really are a complete imbecile. As a Capriati fan you should appreciate that there are many substances that players take, that don't help their tennis. :facepalm:

A known stimulant doesnt help with reaction speeds? My fault, I thought it did. Especially for a player known to take shots early, cocaine would help out a good deal. Faster reactions mean earlier shots.

duhcity
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Would be a serious slap in the face to Swiss players and the system if they were allowed. Especially if she doesn't come back and play real doubles to get a ranking.

Points should be removed from the Olympics if it's going to be like this.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:14 PM

Weed and opiate based pills are depressants, so yeah, they wouldnt help. They'd make your timing sluggish, as well as your reaction speeds. So in Capriati's case, yeah, her drugs didnt help her out, your right. :kiss:

OohZuzana
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Would be a serious slap in the face to Swiss players and the system if they were allowed. Especially if she doesn't come back and play real doubles to get a ranking.

But there won't be points for mixed anyway...

And honestly, what Swiss player is this offending? I like Timea Bacsinszky a ton, but she has had so much injury trouble lately that she's hardly a viable partner for someone with as good a shot as Federer. Schnyder is gone, Voegele is invisble, and so on.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:16 PM
If she couldnt get to the top 5 even with the assistance of Cocaine in her comeback, I doubt she'll put up a substantial fight.
Can't resist giving a little blow below the belt, huh? :lol: Oh well, it's GM, right? ;)

Olórin
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:18 PM
A known stimulant doesnt help with reaction speeds? My fault, I thought it did. Especially for a player known to take shots early, cocaine would help out a good deal. Faster reactions mean earlier shots.

The effects of cocaine are short-term, rarely lasting more than hour. They would have worn off by the time the warm up was over unless the player was snorting coke in the locker room, 30 minutes before the match. But you keep up this ridiculousness if it pleases you. :lol:

Also, cocaine is a mental not a physical stimulant. It doesn't necessarily translate to enhanced physical performance on a tennis court. It can stimulate but often in a harmful way inducing nervous energy and anxiety etc.

Please go and read a book, or watch an old Capriati match or something.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Can't resist giving a little blow below the belt, huh? :lol: Oh well, it's GM, right? ;)

I couldnt help it, she really tarnished her career when the cocaine story came out. It made it look like a desperate attempt to boost herself back to the top... something that ended up hurting her badly, image wise. Unfortunate that a player as naturally gifted as Hingis would resort to stimulants.

Marcelo.
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:20 PM

owned :oh: :facepalm:

And please say Yes :sobbing: :inlove:

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:22 PM
The effects of cocaine are short-term, rarely lasting more than hour. They would have worn off by the time the warm up was over unless the player was snorting coke in the locker room, 30 minutes before the match. But you keep up this ridiculousness if it pleases you. :lol:

Who is to say that isnt exactly what she did? She didnt exactly put up much of a fight over it, which only made it look even more so like she was caught red-handed. And I dont know about you but an hour is more than enough time to get yourself up a set.

Kworb
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Who is to say that isnt exactly what she did? She didnt exactly put up much of a fight over it, which only made it look even more so like she was caught red-handed. And I dont know about you but an hour is more than enough time to get yourself up a set.

Yeah she sure played some amazing tennis that Wimbledon. :confused:

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:28 PM

Also, cocaine is a mental not a physical stimulant. It doesn't necessarily translate to enhanced physical performance on a tennis court. It can stimulate but often in a harmful way inducing nervous energy and anxiety etc.

Please go and read a book, or watch an old Capriati match or something.

When someone has whitney houston as their avatar pic, I guess they are the type that are sensitive regarding cocaine related topics? :angel: Because we all know whitney never used Crack, after all Crack is WACK :angel: completely off topic, and my bad, but have you seen Whitney in the past year? Liver bloated out of all proportion from the years of constant alcohol abuse. Im honestly amazed she is still alive....

Chrissie-fan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I couldnt help it, she really tarnished her career when the cocaine story came out. It made it look like a desperate attempt to boost herself back to the top... something that ended up hurting her badly, image wise. Unfortunate that a player as naturally gifted as Hingis would resort to stimulants.
Yeah, right, but even IF she took cocaine it's almost certain that she took it for recreational reasons and not as a stimulant. I don't think that most tennis fans (as opposed to the tennis 'establishment') take it that seriously really. I think that there are other drugs in sports (steroids, epo, growth hormone, etc...) that are far more worrying and a threat to fair play than this or that player sniffing coke (or smoking weed for that matter).

Olórin
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:31 PM
When someone has whitney houston as their avatar pic, I guess they are the type that are sensitive regarding cocaine related topics? :angel: Because we all know whitney never used Crack, after all Crack is WACK :angel:

Well, funny you mention that as Whitney is obviously an example of how cocaine isn't a performance enhancing drug :facepalm::rolleyes: But anyway, enough of feeding your trollery.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Yeah, right, but even IF she took cocaine it's almost certain that she took it for recreational reasons and not as a stimulant. I don't think that most tennis fans (as opposed to the tennis 'establishment') take it that seriously really. I think that there are other drugs in sports (steroids, epo, growth hormone, etc...) that are far more worrying and a threat to fair play than this or that player sniffing coke (or smoking weed for that matter).

I agree that coke isnt as bad as some other things that can be abused, but it still is a stimulant, and a pretty darn good one at that. Its not like we are talking about caffine or nicotine. It ultimately tarnishes her career, regardless of what the actual purpose was for, recreation or not.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:36 PM
There goes another potentially nice 'feel good thread' out the window. Oh well. :sad:

JCTennisFan
Well, funny you mention that as Whitney is obviously an example of how cocaine isn't a performance enhancing drug :facepalm::rolleyes: But anyway, enough of feeding your trollery.

she isnt an example of that, she is an example that crack cocaine will annihilate your vocal cords, due to the inhalation of the smoke. If she was snorting coke, it would be a different story. At worst she would sound somewhat stopped up, not the screeching mess she is today. Vocal cords+ crack smoke= destroyed voice. But that doesnt detract from the fact that its an awful good stimulant.

Slutiana

Umm how, exactly?

First, there are no points for Mixed Doubles. And second, each country is allowed to field two teams in doubles. As it stands, the only Swiss female player that has even a remote chance at making the Olympics next year is Bacsinszky. So if she wanted to play mixed, she could play with Wawrinka.

dynamoRockstarr
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:37 PM
I would actually like to see that team.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:37 PM
There goes another potentially nice 'feel good thread' out the window. Oh well. :sad:

Im overly blunt today, and thats my bad. I guess my man period is starting :lol: :worship: Do they make mandol? :lol:

Sombrerero loco
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:41 PM
ohhh please be true :hearts:

backhandsmash
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I would actually like to see that team.

Who wouldn't? :) They would be like a dream-team or something!

Sammo
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:42 PM
The 2012 Olympics are shaping up to be amazing only because of the dream mixed doubles teams :hearts:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I would LOVE to see them play the Olympics together :hearts::worship:

Malkmus_
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:45 PM
OMFG :drool: :sobbing:

Nicolás89
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:46 PM

:hysteric:

So ignorant.

The traces found in Hingis' urine samples contained 42 ng/ml of cocaine, if she was a drug user as you claimed how could she snort or whatever such a minimal trace, so minimal that you can't even see it? also, you wouldn't feel any effect taking that amount anyways.

Dave.
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:47 PM

Yep.

But there won't be points for mixed anyway...

And honestly, what Swiss player is this offending? I like Timea Bacsinszky a ton, but she has had so much injury trouble lately that she's hardly a viable partner for someone with as good a shot as Federer. Schnyder is gone, Voegele is invisble, and so on.

Umm how, exactly?

First, there are no points for Mixed Doubles. And second, each country is allowed to field two teams in doubles. As it stands, the only Swiss female player that has even a remote chance at making the Olympics next year is Bacsinszky. So if she wanted to play mixed, she could play with Wawrinka.

I'm sure it's only 1 per country for mixed (it's only a 16 team draw apparently).

Anyway, if Switzerland don't have high enough ranked players then they shouldn't get into the mixed. :shrug: Obviously it is unfair to the players (both from Switzerland and other countries who could get in) who play for their ranking if they were to lose their place for a retired player/old name. If Hingis wants to come back and earn a decent ranking then by all means. Otherwise what Anthony said is right. :shrug:

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:52 PM
:hysteric:

So ignorant.

The traces found in Hingis' urine samples contained 42 ng/ml of cocaine, if she was a drug user as you claimed how could she snort or whatever such a minimal trace, so minimal that you can't even see it? also, you wouldn't feel any effect taking that amount anyways.

As others have said, cocaine is quickly purged out of the system, unless she was tested right before matches, which possibly was the case, im honestly not sure, then the urine samples would show what she had in her system at that given time.... which could of been substantially less than when she actually took cocaine. Coke isnt weed... it isnt fat soluable and doesnt stay in the system upwards of a month. It rapidly exits the system making accurate testing more difficult?

Malkmus_
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:54 PM

:rolleyes: There always has to be one attention-seeking prick to ruin a thread. This time it's you, so well done.

FYI, the amount they found was so small, that it actually couldn't have come through snorting the cocaine. Also, about a month after giving her a two-year ban, the ITF changed their rules, so if it's under 0.5 n/m, it won't show up in a test. Gaquet was considered innocent because it was a small amount, yet it was still much bigger than Martina's sample.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:01 PM
:rolleyes: There's always has to be one attention-seeking prick to ruin a thread. This time it's you, so well done.

FYI, the amount they found was so small, that it actually couldn't have come through snorting the cocaine. Also, about a month after giving her a two-year ban, the ITF changed their rules, so if it's under 0.5 n/m, it won't show up in a test. Gaquet was considered innocent because it was a small amount, yet it was still much bigger than Martina's sample.

Well it got into her body somehow? And like I said before, its all totally dependent on when you actually take the test. Right when you ingest {in whatever form that may be} cocaine it immediately begins to be proccessed and removed from the blood, into the urine.You totally ignore the fact that I say she was an insanely good player, too good of a player to have her career tarnished by stimulant use {whether that be for fun or for enhancement}.

I cant help im outspoken? People often dont like opinions that arent completely inline with there own. Does the coke mean she for a fact used it for enhancement? Well no, I cant say that for sure, but as a tennis player you should know better than to play on the tour and mess with any form of stimulant. Everyone's opinion is immediately going to be that the player used it to get a performance edge. Just because they are women doesnt mean they arent willing to try things to regain former glory.

.Andrew.
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Return por favor. :hearts:

Sammo
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Well it got into her body somehow? And like I said before, its all totally dependent on when you actually take the test. Right when you ingest {in whatever form that may be} cocaine it immediately begins to be proccessed and removed from the blood, into the urine.You totally ignore the fact that I say she was an insanely good player, too good of a player to have her career tarnished by stimulant use {whether that be for fun or for enhancement}.

I cant help im outspoken? People often dont like opinions that arent completely inline with there own. Does the coke mean she for a fact used it for enhancement? Well no, I cant say that for sure, but as a tennis player you should know better than to play on the tour and mess with any form of stimulant. Everyone's opinion is immediately going to be that the player used it to get a performance edge. Just because they are women doesnt mean they arent willing to try things to regain former glory.

Here, have some fun
Geiq0FP13uQ

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Yep.

I'm sure it's only 1 per country for mixed (it's only a 16 team draw apparently).

Anyway, if Switzerland don't have high enough ranked players then they shouldn't get into the mixed. :shrug: Obviously it is unfair to the players (both from Switzerland and other countries who could get in) who play for their ranking if they were to lose their place for a retired player/old name. If Hingis wants to come back and earn a decent ranking then by all means. Otherwise what Anthony said is right. :shrug:

Well she is an exceptional doubles player, one of the few successful singles players to have arguably an even more successful, if not just as successful, doubles career. Hingis/kournie actually made doubles somewhat worth watching in the late 90s. One would suspect if fed told her to stay at the net, and let him deal with the back of the court, they'd have a darn good shot. Certaintly better than anyone else, except patty. And she arguably would be a better matchup for fed, seeing as how she has more power than hingis, more spin, and is a lefty. She is a trickier player to deal with, imo.

Malkmus_
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:09 PM

You do realise cocaine is everywhere in London, right? Handling a fiver or £10 note is likely to gain a trace of Cocaine in your hands. Heck, even the water is full of cocaine. My guess is she probably drank some tap water. I highly doubt she knowingly ingested it, especially as the amount was so small.

Yes, but you also said her comeback was 'assisted by Cocaine'. So in your opinion, she only got to number 6 in her comeback, because of the the use of Cocaine. Despite the fact that she would have been tested several times.

Sammo
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Well she is an exceptional doubles player, one of the few successful singles players to have arguably an even more successful, if not just as successful, doubles career. Hingis/kournie actually made doubles somewhat worth watching in the late 90s. One would suspect if fed told her to stay at the net, and let him deal with the back of the court, they'd have a darn good shot. Certaintly better than anyone else, except patty. And she arguably would be a better matchup for fed, seeing as how she has more power than hingis, more spin, and is a lefty. She is a trickier player to deal with, imo.

Look Schnyder sucks in doubles, she made Hingis and Switzerland lose the 1998 Fed Cup final. There's no point at saying that Schnyder would be a better matchup for Federer because she has more power and more spin than Hingis, Hingis is an extremely good doubles player and one of the best volleyers ever, on the other hand Schnyder's volleys are mediocre/bad, there's just no point of comparison in doubles between Hingis and Schnyder, well neither in singles but at least Schnyder's been kind of succesful there.

Marlene
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Does anybody know what the amount of the cocaine metabolite in Hingis' urine translates to in terms of cocaine intake?

For example, if Hingis had touched a ten-pound note that someone had used for snorting cocaine, and then licked her fingers, say 2 hours before the testing - what kind of result would that give? Or if she'd snorted cocaine in whatever amounts you need to actually feel the effect, how many days (weeks?) before the testing would it have to be before the tests results could be so low?

Nicolás89
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:14 PM
As others have said, cocaine is quickly purged out of the system, unless she was tested right before matches, which possibly was the case, im honestly not sure, then the urine samples would show what she had in her system at that given time.... which could of been substantially less than when she actually took cocaine. Coke isnt weed... it isnt fat soluable and doesnt stay in the system upwards of a month. It rapidly exits the system making accurate testing more difficult?

You are wrong anf full of it. First you claim Hingis is a drug addict and a habitual performance-enhacement drug user, then a recreational user, make up your biased mind please. If Martina is a drug user as you claim you could find cocaine in her urine for at least 1 month because the anti-doping tests not only search for cocaine but also for any metabollite of cocaine.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Look Schnyder sucks in doubles, she made Hingis and Switzerland lose the 1998 Fed Cup final. There's no point at saying that Schnyder would be a better matchup for Federer because she has more power and more spin than Hingis, Hingis is an extremely good doubles player and one of the best volleyers ever, on the other hand Schnyder's volleys are mediocre/bad, there's just no point of comparison in doubles between Hingis and Schnyder, well neither in singles but at least Schnyder's been kind of succesful there.

Your right, Hingis is a more accomplished doubles player, and she is more consistent than Schnyder. But schnyder's heavy leftie topspin forehand imo could potentially give the male opponents a bit more trouble than Hingis' fluff. Like I said if Fed forced her to stay at net, that is where she would be most effective. Schynder would have more ability to keep up with the guys from the back of the court though, imo, because of her increased spin/weight of shot. But we arent talking about patty from the late 90s/early 00s, so her form could be significantly off what it has been in times past. And hingis has just been playing WTT, so we know she is somewhat in form. Schnyder would be a huge question mark. But that doesnt detract from her potential.

Dave.
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:21 PM

:spit: Somehow I think doubles would have done just fine without that particular combination.

It's not about whether they have a chance (although that is debatable as playing the legends is hardly a reliable indicator) - it would be unfair to players who have built up their rankings to get in.

Personally I would like to see Hingis play the Olympics having made a doubles comeback and got a good ranking. She and Davenport need to play some tour events instead of these legends tournaments - it's almost embarrassing to watch.

Sammo
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Well Hingis only played a couple of mixed doubles Grand Slams in her life, one or two in the 90's, and in 2006 she won the Australian Open with Bhupati without trouble :shrug: Yes her forehand is kind of ''fluff'' but still she manages to take the heavy top spin pretty well.

Sammo
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:22 PM
:spit: Somehow I think doubles would have done just fine without that particular combination.

It's not about whether they have a chance (although that is debatable as playing the legends is hardly a reliable indicator) - it would be unfair to players who have built up their rankings to get in.

Personally I would like to see Hingis play the Olympics having made a doubles comeback and got a good ranking. She and Davenport need to play some tour events instead of these legends tournaments - it's almost embarrassing to watch.

Not anymore, Davenport is pregnant again...

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Does anybody know what the amount of the cocaine metabolite in Hingis' urine translates to in terms of cocaine intake?

For example, if Hingis had touched a ten-pound note that someone had used for snorting cocaine, and then licked her fingers, say 2 hours before the testing - what kind of result would that give? Or if she'd snorted cocaine in whatever amounts you need to actually feel the effect, how many days (weeks?) before the testing would it have to be before the tests results could be so low?

Thats kinda grasping for straws... If that was the case you KNOW Hingis would of been all over it, defending her honor/name. She DIDNT, she abruptly retired instead of fighting the allegations. THAT, to me, shows guilt. She knew she got caught and rather than fight and be proven a liar, she went silently away for a few years, just like she has done in the past.

Does that mean she had been on coke for a year and a half before she got caught? I HIGHLY doubt it. But at the point in time when she got caught she had stagnated in her comeback, only managing 6 or 7 in the world, and a reasonable amount of points were going to come off as the season progressed. Hingis 06 season was a much better season for her than 07, and it showed. Its not much of a stretch to believe that she saw her own writing was on the wall, and out of desperation could of made a poor judgement decision?

Sammo
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Thats kinda grasping for straws... If that was the case you KNOW Hingis would of been all over it, defending her honor/name. She DIDNT, she abruptly retired instead of fighting the allegations. THAT, to me, shows guilt. She knew she got caught and rather than fight and be proven a liar, she went silently away for a few years, just like she has done in the past.

Does that mean she had been on coke for a year and a half before she got caught? I HIGHLY doubt it. But at the point in time when she got caught she had stagnated in her comeback, only managing 6 or 7 in the world, and a reasonable amount of points were going to come off as the season progressed. Hingis 06 season was a much better season for her than 07, and it showed. Its not much of a stretch to believe that she saw her own writing was on the wall, and out of desperation could of made a poor judgement decision?

She did fight, she spent a lot of money on lawyers

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Well Hingis only played a couple of mixed doubles Grand Slams in her life, one or two in the 90's, and in 2006 she won the Australian Open with Bhupati without trouble :shrug: Yes her forehand is kind of ''fluff'' but still she manages to take the heavy top spin pretty well.

the aus open 2006 was arguably when Hingis was at her best post-comeback. She slowly got progressively worse as time went on. So yeah, she didnt have any trouble at that point. If she would of kept that form up long term she'd of had a much more successful comeback.

Malkmus_
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Sigh....she did fight it and spent a lot of money on her case. They rejected all her challenges to the test and she had no chance. They even rejected Billie Jean King's comments about Hingis' professionalism :o Yet the same tribunal agreed with what Gasquet had to say....

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:31 PM
She did fight, she spent a lot of money on lawyers

I dont recall her fighting nearly to the extent that Gasquet did when he was caught. I remember her quickly announcing her retirement after the news broke. I obviously could be wrong though, and am willing to say I am if so ;)

Jane Lane
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I dont recall her fighting nearly to the extent that Gasquet did when he was caught. I remember her quickly announcing her retirement after the news broke. I obviously could be wrong though, and am willing to say I am if so ;)

PAMELA! :haha:

Sammo
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:33 PM

Well you are. She announce her retirement because of already being 27 and full of injuries, and she also announced herself the cocaine thing at the same conference.

Cajka
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Are there any other confirmed pairs besides Serena-Roddick and Jankovic-Tipsarevic (even though I'm not sure those two would get in necessarily?)

I know only about one Serbian pair - Ivanovic and Zimonjic. He won Wimbledon doubles title twice and her serve is good. They could be a good pair.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Well you are. She announce her retirement because of already being 27 and full of injuries, and she also announced herself the cocaine thing at the same conference.

So let me get this right, she cameback to play a season and a half? Yeah, that makes alot of sense. Its just far too coincidental that both seemed to coincide at the same time....

Malkmus_
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:38 PM

What extent was that then? Blaming it on a Woman :o (who has actually never been identified) Do you honestly believe Hingis would have been cleared if she used that excuse?

Sammo
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:39 PM
So let me get this right, she cameback to play a season and a half? Yeah, that makes alot of sense. Its just far too coincidental that both seemed to coincide at the same time....

Well I would retire too, shortly after winning the Toray Pan Pacific Open she started playing crap, getting injured, and continued to do so for 7 months until she retired, I would have retired too, a Grand Slam champion barely playing at top 30 level :shrug:

Lucemferre
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Why is this ugly troll being allowed to ruin an innocent thread? Take your bitching to somewhere else and let people enjoy the possibility of a great mixed doubles team.

debby
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I can't believe that Capriati troll lectured me because I said Capriati chose to take drugs in her first career so to ruin it in a way :facepalm: not even a criticism or a mock, yet she/he mocks Hingis. What a troll.

Cp6uja
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:56 PM
Its great news if this is really happen. No matter will Martina reach medal or not, but it will be good to see that she not finished hers big career like criminal/cheater because 2 years ban, but like real sportsmen at Olympics. She deserve that.

Mixed doubles are at OG for the first time after almost 100 years so I guess it will be something like no criteria or qualies, just 16 VIP WC's into draw, so no big surprises if we see in the draw (with Roger and Martina) some of greatest doubles "specialists" like Sharapova, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Na Li, Nadal, Djokovic, Jamie Andy Murray, Del Potro, Roddick...

Break My Rapture
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I hope she says no and later shows up in London with Wawrinka. :oh: Martina is so one that would.

duhcity
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:10 AM

:oh: I see you.

Sammo
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I hope she says no and later shows up in London with Wawrinka. :oh: Martina is so one that would.

And beat Roger and Mirka :oh:

Cajka
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:13 AM

It would be hilarious. But, why not? I love Wawrinka, he's very talented. :oh:

SV_Fan
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Im overly blunt today, and thats my bad. I guess my man period is starting :lol: :worship: Do they make mandol? :lol:

:no:

Not funny

harloo
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:40 AM
:haha::haha:JCTennisfan is on one.

faboozadoo15
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:28 AM
It would be lovely to see. It would be the best way to see her leave the game. She really deserves a different ending.

The trace amount of the cocaine metabolite that was found in her urine wasn't even enough for someone to be sanctioned in the military and yet it tarnished her name and abruptly ended her second career. Also, didn't her hair sample test completely negative?

She deserves a different ending, and playing at the olympics with old mixed partner Roger GOAT on the lawn at the AELTC during the olympics would be really nice.

hingisGOAT
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Federer would be lucky to hand Hingis her sweaty towel on the doubles court. The last time he teamed up with the doubles GOAT he shanked his way to a loss against Seles and Jan Michael fuckin' Gambill. :rolleyes:

Brad[le]y.
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Federer would be lucky to hand Hingis her sweaty towel on the doubles court. The last time he teamed up with the doubles GOAT he shanked his way to a loss against Seles and Jan Michael fuckin' Gambill. :rolleyes:I like your username :p

Matt-TennisFan24
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Please please please let it happen!!

It would be so cool!!

But actually I dont know how its gonna be like, the Olympics rules were revealed today, and only 16 teams will enter the mixed doubles.

If they let Roger/Martina in, other players who might have wanted to enter the event (like doubles experts Huber, Black, etc to name some examples) Things are gonna get messy for the Olympic Comittee

hdfb
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Must happen. Saw Hingis at Wimby a few weeks ago partnering Lindsay and she looks like she hasn't retired at all. All her volleys just looked effortless.

friendsita
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Hope Martina says yes.

Steven.
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Oh my god, this would be so amazing!

dsanders06
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Yeah, right, but even IF she took cocaine...

Oh come on, she was found guilty by a tribunal after evidence was submitted; that's about as close as you can get to certainty that she did take cocaine. I do actually agree with you that cocaine isn't a big deal, as it only impairs sporting performance, and I actually don't believe tennis players should be banned for taking it.......but let's not pretend there's any doubt about whether she was taking it.

(Incidentally, it's not true to say Gasquet was found to have twice as much coke in his system than Hingis... this was based on a misreporting which added an extra zero to the amount Gasquet was found to have, or something. In reality, Gasquet had about only a fifth the amount of cocaine in his system than Hingis did; scientists at the separate tribunals testified that it was plausible that you could ingest the volume of cocaine that Gasquet had from another person, but it wasn't plausible in the case of the volume Hingis had.)

Anywho, I'd certainly like to see a Federer-Hingis pairing. I don't really care about whether it would make a mockery of the rankings... as good players as I'm sure doubles specialists like Liezl Huber and Cara whatever are, we all know that the top singles players would dominate the doubles if they bothered to play it more; Federer himself showed this when he easily won the Gold medal in Beijing despite being in a slump and being paired with "only" a run-of-the-mill top 20 player. Federer-Hingis would easily be one of the strongest teams in the mixed doubles (if not THE strongest) even if they got a place at the expense of the #8 doubles team.

WhatTheDeuce
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Please do it, Martina. Please. :sobbing:

Smitten
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:03 AM
He needs the Legend's help to win those medals. Only the Legend and your faves will never.

Smitten
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:06 AM
:lol: @ all these pressed posts that Martina is gonna come back and snatch more titles from your faves. She hasn't even given an answer and everyone is already nervous and worried about their fave.

Martian KC
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Wow, did a fan of a drugfiend truly try to troll his way to disparage Martina's name?

Mistress of Evil
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:09 AM
finally, sth worthy done by Federer :yeah:

Polikarpov
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Yes, give me some life!

Miss Amor
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Finally Roddick will be able to beat Roger on the Centre Court.

Shivank17
Jul 14th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Wow. Federer. :)

Sammo
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Finally Roddick will be able to beat Roger on the Centre Court.

I doubt it, Roddick is a shame of a doubles player and Hingis is a better doubles player than Serena, than Serena without Venus obviously. Serena's doubles strategy consists in thrashing everyone with her big sis, whom she interpenetrates to perfection, but with Roddick against Federer (whom Roddick fears :oh) and Hingis, I really doubt it.

Daniel
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Hope this happens!!! :drool:

Hapsara
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Yeah, we miss you Hingis.....:)

Marlene
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:38 PM
[...] if Hingis had touched a ten-pound note that someone had used for snorting cocaine, and then licked her fingers, say 2 hours before the testing - what kind of result would that give? Or if she'd snorted cocaine in whatever amounts you need to actually feel the effect, how many days (weeks?) before the testing would it have to be before the tests results could be so low?

I asked if anybody knew how fast cocaine leaves the system and what that would translate to in terms of cocaine intake - I don't care if you think the above scenario is plausible, I want to know if it's possible?

The ITF made some changes to their anti-doping policy AFTER the Hingis case; in short, if the player can explain how the substance got into his/her system and prove that there was no intent to enhance performance, then the player may get off with a warning or a 0-24 month ban. Gasquet had that option, Hingis didn't. Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_wertheim/07/16/gasquet/index.html).

Drake1980
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:03 PM
:eek: :bounce:

ChrisCologne
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:09 PM
This whole story gave me a good laugh today and is a nice example of how Hingis-admirers jump on a train and believe in daydreams

The ITF has pretty good standards of who is able to make it to the Olympics by competing in its events of Davis-Cup and Fed-Cup and not by just playing one year but two and that they -in addition to that- must have rankings to qualify or get an ITF wildcard

That famous wildcard system would be the only choice to get Hingis into that event because the ITF made pretty good rules too of how to fill their doubles fields and allow just the top10 of that ranking in doubles and fill it up with those 56 highest ranked singles players in doubles which both will be impossible for Hingis to achieve even by starting to re-enter WTA events as of today

Those last Olympics when even Arantxa came back, Arantxa made herself available for Fed-Cup to get an invitation to play but Hingis didn´t win any medal which Arantxa did and if Hingis gets a wildcard whereas every other Swiss player in the name of Baczinsky is denied one due to poor rankings or national standards of how to qualify, this is rubbish

Even for the likes of some headlines by partnering, Roger Federer himself won´t change the ITF standards by forcing them to and Martina Hingis is clever enough to know that only by name she and Roger won´t win a medal on a silver plate being bumped into Mirnyi Azarenka or others early. Without a rank, Hingis / Federer will be unseeded or another "casa Hingis" next to the one getting in at all would be created and we are not in dreamland

Hingis got banned for misbehaviour and she does senior events right now just for being in the headlines again and just for winning events against Novotna or Navratilova, let her play Lisicki or Kvitova and let her feel what today´s tennis is like

Dream on, Hingis-ians - even Blick.ch did not report on that one and that´s typical American and UK-like gossiping when even the nation of the two does not report on this. That´s the same standard of rumors as that of Capriati coming back which was heavily criticized around here. This story will soon be forgotten. And that´s right. Tennis moved on without Hingis, so should we

Slutiana
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:19 PM
This whole story gave me a good laugh today and is a nice example of how Hingis-admirers jump on a train and believe in daydreams

The ITF has pretty good standards of who is able to make it to the Olympics by competing in its events of Davis-Cup and Fed-Cup and not by just playing one year but two and that they -in addition to that- must have rankings to qualify or get an ITF wildcard

That famous wildcard system would be the only choice to get Hingis into that event because the ITF made pretty good rules too of how to fill their doubles fields and allow just the top10 of that ranking in doubles and fill it up with those 56 highest ranked singles players in doubles which both will be impossible for Hingis to achieve even by starting to re-enter WTA events as of today

Those last Olympics when even Arantxa came back, Arantxa made herself available for Fed-Cup to get an invitation to play but Hingis didn´t win any medal which Arantxa did and if Hingis gets a wildcard whereas every other Swiss player in the name of Baczinsky is denied one due to poor rankings or national standards of how to qualify, this is rubbish

Even for the likes of some headlines by partnering, Roger Federer himself won´t change the ITF standards by forcing them to and Martina Hingis is clever enough to know that only by name she and Roger won´t win a medal on a silver plate being bumped into Mirnyi Azarenka or others early. Without a rank, Hingis / Federer will be unseeded or another "casa Hingis" next to the one getting in at all would be created and we are not in dreamland

Hingis got banned for misbehaviour and she does senior events right now just for being in the headlines again and just for winning events against Novotna or Navratilova, let her play Lisicki or Kvitova and let her feel what today´s tennis is like

Dream on, Hingis-ians - even Blick.ch did not report on that one and that´s typical American and UK-like gossiping when even the nation of the two does not report on this. That´s the same standard of rumors as that of Capriati coming back which was heavily criticized around here. This story will soon be forgotten. And that´s right. Tennis moved on without Hingis, so should we
:lol: The ITF has already said that the criteria for mixed doubles will be completely different to the one for regular criteria, and they will decide it at a later date.

vixter
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:21 PM
No one would use coke before a match with the intention of playing a better match. It's much more plausible that Martina used it for recreational purposes at some party. Or she hadn't been using it at all, and it showed positive anyway for some reason. A cup of coffee before the match would be so much more beneficial than a line of coke. Please! Anyone who is old and wise enough to have actually experienced a little with these substances would know that snorting a line of coke before a game would maybe be beneficial for the first few GAMES before it would wear off and you would end up probably slower with your reactions than you were before. Coffee gives a stronger psysical boost and it also stays active in the system for hours. Coke is like 30 min. So please don't call Hingis a drug addict again because it's a big insult to an intelligent and well-spoken woman. She didn't "give up without a fight" but she knew that some fights you can't win.

Badminton olympic bronze medalist Zhou Mi resurrected her career when she left China for Hongkong China and reached world no. 1, when she was tested positive for a banned substance. She was banned from competing as the number 1 in the world and since she was already over 30 years old, this is how her career most likely have ended. Some fights you can't win!!

ChrisCologne
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Yeah, right, completely different

So allow Graf Agassi and Sampras in

Dream on, dreamer!

The Witch-king
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:35 PM
there's gonna be loads of old players playing mixed at the olympics

Sammo
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:46 PM

Pathetic haters like you have been with the same story for ages, ''let her feel the power'' they said when she came back, and she had no problem when she was injury-free at defeating Sharapova, Venus, Zvonareva, Davenport, Safina, Kuznetsova, Groenefeld, Kudryavtseva, Li, Sam Stosur, Petrova and Ivanovic, those superpoweful hitters whom she made light work of them. SO PLEASE SHUT UP, she never was and never will be overpowered by no one when injury free, you guys are getting overpost.

tennis-insomniac
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I'm a huge fan of hers, and after seeing she producing good results in these exhibition events lately, I confer that she may be feeling more positive and could possibly aim for more challenging goal. Mixed double with Fed sounds like a lot of fun, and especially for the Olympic, that is just too great of an opportunity to offer, but still, everything is uncertain, so I'm sending my wish to make this come true.

EDIT : from the interview, it is more likely to be a stint of possibility, even Hingis is reluctant to confirm it. There's no need to rush or commit to things that require large amount of focus and discipline, what matters now is that she's happy and enjoying what she's doing, that's the most important thing.

ChrisCologne
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:10 PM
To add another argument, the ITF made pretty clear that she does only allow certain doubles players into the tennis field of all nation´s players combined to center around the top56 singles players and allow those entering the doubles and fill that up comprising the top10 doubles players and their partners which sadley enough will exclude a number of doubles specialists around top11-30 in the doubles rankings just for the sake of allowing singles top stars to enter doubles

What kind of message is this to make mixed doubles are star-only field of pro´s and retired players and make it a show event to win a gold medal when there are pro´s in doubles f.e. left out to allow celebrities to enter

I sit back and relax because the ITF will never allow herself to be criticized for mixing standards for those still active and those still playing. Imagine Henin or Pierce or whoever just coming back for a mixed event and mix themselves with those active at Wimbledon 4 weeks before the Olympics just because they´d have fun doing it and stealing the headlines of those who 2 weeks after London 2012 return to the normal WTA circuit and work hard for their rankings, or, in other words, start the year 2012 fresh to qualify for their dream of the Olympics and then hear, ok, you´re left out because a celebrity wants to return and takes your place. Lol.

Never going to happen. Wishful thinking of those who never come over the fact that Hingis returned and was beaten badly and never had a chance of another Grand Slam when coming back.

ChrisCologne
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Old players or returning retired players?

Hingis did indeed beat some power players but not in her last year. Send her to court and let her play Kvitova, Azarenka, Sharapova and Lisicki and Na Li at present and then look yourself in the mirror. A Graf-Hingis match in Paris 2012 would be nice too.

Sammo
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:20 PM

Hingis did indeed beat some power players but not in her last year. Send her to court and let her play Kvitova, Azarenka, Sharapova and Lisicki and Na Li at present and then look yourself in the mirror. A Graf-Hingis match in Paris 2012 would be nice too.

Send her early 2006 version to court and let her play Kvitova, and all those suckers and look yourself in the mirror. Just forget it, stupid ballbashers don't stand a chance against a tactic player like Hingis in good shape.

ChrisCologne
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Yeah, Hingis 5 years older and those young players 2-3 years with more experience. Dream on, dreamer!

Malkmus_
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:23 PM

What is it with you trolls rearing your ugly heads at the slight mention of the name 'Hingis'?

Go on, admit it. You miss her. :angel:

ViceUltramontain
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Federer will probably not play anyway. He's getting older and older. I don't think he'll play singles, doubles and mixed at the Olympics, knowing that it's just between Wimbly and USO. This whole story will probably end with a Bacsinszky/Wawrinka mixed team.

spencercarlos
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:02 PM

In her last year 2007 Hingis beat.
Li
Stosur
Ivanovic
Dementieva
Bondarenko K

All of them hit way harder than Martina does.

Lets not forget the biggest hitter of them all.
Caroline Wozniacki Indian Wells 2007 :worship:

ChrisCologne
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Good point

Federer won´t enter all the 3 events anyway

irinska
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:35 PM
dsander06, go check the facts when you post here. The amount found in Gasquet was 3 times higher than in Martina!Stop writhing this nonsense!

PLP
Jul 14th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Good point

Federer won´t enter all the 3 events anyway

Why not? I imagine a lot of the top players will enter all three events...and if Martina is prepping for a doubles comeback, why shouldn't she enter?

Martina is such a polarizing personality. I am actually thankful that even the tiniest bit of news about the Princess brings out the haterz like you in full force...

BTW, I am also a Timea fan, it would be so great to see her pair with Martina as well. :hearts:

alex14
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Please!!!! i die happy if it happens :p

Dave.
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I doubt it, Roddick is a shame of a doubles player and Hingis is a better doubles player than Serena, than Serena without Venus obviously. Serena's doubles strategy consists in thrashing everyone with her big sis, whom she interpenetrates to perfection, but with Roddick against Federer (whom Roddick fears :oh) and Hingis, I really doubt it.

Mixed doubles slams: Serena 2, Hingis 1

Smitten
Jul 14th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Mixed doubles slams: Serena 2, Hingis 1

Davenport 0. :wavey:

hingisGOAT
Jul 14th, 2011, 10:01 PM
lol Serena isn't half the doubles player Hingis is...

Miss Amor
Jul 14th, 2011, 10:15 PM
lol Serena isn't half the doubles player Hingis is...

And yet Serena has the receipts. 3 more doubles slams, 1 more mixed doubles slam, 2 more Olympic golds and a 2-0 record over Hingis in doubles slams.

Dave.
Jul 14th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Davenport 0. :wavey:

Don't need to concern ourselves with mixed here when Davenport has more singles and doubles titles. :lol:

Sammo
Jul 14th, 2011, 11:35 PM
And yet Serena has the receipts. 3 more doubles slams, 1 more mixed doubles slam, 2 more Olympic golds and a 2-0 record over Hingis in doubles slams.

But Serena can't be compared as a volleyer to Hingis :shrug: Hingis has won Grand Slams and titles with LOTS of different players whereas Serena... just Venus and won a Mickey Mouse with Alexandra Stenvenson somewhere :lol:

VishaalMaria
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:02 AM
But Serena can't be compared as a volleyer to Hingis :shrug: Hingis has won Grand Slams and titles with LOTS of different players whereas Serena... just Venus and won a Mickey Mouse with Alexandra Stenvenson somewhere :lol:

Still arguing facts huh? Like how you wanted to argue that 7 isn't more significant than 5 :tape: Then there is no hope for you. Fandome really makes people delusional.

Anyway, I hope she comes back. It'd be nice to see her play and get overpowered

Sammo
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Still arguing facts huh? Like how you wanted to argue that 7 isn't more significant than 5 :tape: Then there is no hope for you. Fandome really makes people delusional.

Anyway, I hope she comes back. It'd be nice to see her play and get overpowered

The hate also makes people delusional :lol:

hingisGOAT
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:18 AM
If I were a V fan I'd be salty as hell too -- having a losing record to someone who is 6 inches shorter, serves 20mph slower, and no where near as athletic or powerful... I guess the differential in SKILL is a gap too big to cross :)

Miss Amor
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:22 AM

Doubles isnt just about volleys and its not Serena's fault that Martina was incapable hold on to a regular doubles partner.

Sammo
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Doubles isnt just about volleys. Its not Serena's fault that Martina couldnt hold on to a regular doubles partner. At the end of the day Serena has more doubles slams, mixed slams and a better doubles slam h2h.

And Hingis made the doubles Grand Slam in a year, has more titles and was more time (35 weeks compared to 8) number 1. Plus she is a more skilled doubles player so she can adapt to other partners way better than Serena.

Cajka
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:28 AM
The hate also makes people delusional :lol:

With the serve or ros that Serena has, she doesn't have to play amazing volleys. Not to mention that her volleys are more than decent.

Miss Amor
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:32 AM
And Hingis made the doubles Grand Slam in a year, has more titles and was more time (35 weeks compared to 8) number 1. Plus she is a more skilled doubles player so she can adapt to other partners way better than Serena.

Serena has won 4 doubles slams in a row too :shrug: As I said its not Serena's fault that Hingis was incapable of having a regular doubles partner.

Serena has shown she can adapt by winning Slam titles, titles and reaching Slam finals with different players than Venus too (Max Mirnyi,Luis Lobo, Alexandra Stevenson).

As I said, at the end of the day Serena has
more doubles slams,
more mixed doubles slams,
more olympic golds
much better win-loss record
More doubles Slam finals
a better doubles slam h2h against Hingis.

Serena leads hingis in most doubles statistics :shrug:

Sammo
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:33 AM
With the serve or ros that Serena has, she doesn't have to play amazing volleys. Not to mention that her volleys are more than decent.

Tell that to the male players she'll have to play at the Olympics, who are more than used to a serve like Serena's, which is espectacular for WTA but average for ATP.

Ryan
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Why can't we just agree that Serena and Hingis are both awesome doubles players? They both are NOT opponents you'd want to face on the other side of the net.

Sammo
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Why can't we just agree that Serena and Hingis are both awesome doubles players? They both are NOT opponents you'd want to face on the other side of the net.

Oh I would love too, even if I get my ass thrashed I'd love to play against them :) The worst thing they can do is double bagel me, not kill me :lol:

Cajka
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Tell that to the male players she'll have to play at the Olympics, who are more than used to a serve like Serena's, which is espectacular for WTA but average for ATP.

She'll play with Roddick (and it's a huuge advantage, don't you think?), I remember her and Fish playing against JJ and Djoko in HC final. It wasn't easy for Djoko to return her serve and even then he had the best ros of all the ATP players. I can't think of the better combination of players than SW and Andy when it comes to serve.

Smitten
Jul 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Don't need to concern ourselves with mixed here when Davenport has more singles and doubles titles. :lol:

Both players mentioned have more slams in singles, doubles, and mixed than Lindsay.

You tried.

Malkmus_
Jul 15th, 2011, 08:27 PM
It won't happen, unfortunately, due to this ruling:
http://www.aipsmedia.com/index.php?page=news&cod=5775&tp=n

"Rule 45 of the Olympic Charter, known as the "Osaka" or "6 Month" rule. The Regulations state that any athlete receiving a doping sanction of greater than six months is barred from competing in the next Olympic Games and Olympic Winter Games following the expiration of the doping sanction.s"

Martian KC
Jul 15th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Seriously, some stans are arguing that serena is a better doubles player than Martina? This board is hilarious.

hingisGOAT
Jul 15th, 2011, 09:05 PM
^ikr

VishaalMaria
Jul 15th, 2011, 09:13 PM
If I were a V fan I'd be salty as hell too -- having a losing record to someone who is 6 inches shorter, serves 20mph slower, and no where near as athletic or powerful... I guess the differential in SKILL is a gap too big to cross :)

Yeah, 2 more slams.

Do you really think Hingis would want that win over Vee in Rome, than the win against Steffi at RG 1999?

Exactly. I don't need to make the conclusions for you.

Miss Amor
Jul 15th, 2011, 09:14 PM

No one is saying Hingis wasnt an awesome doubles player though. I am just replying to the people that said that Serena isnt half the doubles player that Hingis was. Especially given the fact the MOST of the statistics are in Serena's favour.

Seriously, some stans are arguing that serena is a better doubles player than Martina? This board is hilarious.

Exactly, there is no need to argue at all. The stats are very clearly in Serena's favour in this case.

Ryan
Jul 15th, 2011, 10:50 PM
No one is saying Hingis wasnt an awesome doubles player though. I am just replying to the people that said that Serena isnt half the doubles player that Hingis was. Especially given the fact the MOST of the statistics are in Serena's favour.

Exactly, there is no need to argue at all. The stats are very clearly in Serena's favour in this case.

:shrug: You're telling people not to argue, then making a subjective statement. Whatever; they're both awesome.

Bingain
Jul 16th, 2011, 12:06 AM

"Rule 45 of the Olympic Charter, known as the "Osaka" or "6 Month" rule. The Regulations state that any athlete receiving a doping sanction of greater than six months is barred from competing in the next Olympic Games and Olympic Winter Games following the expiration of the doping sanction.s"

Without referring to further fine prints, I'm of the opinion that this Osaka rule won't apply. Hingis wasn't banned for doping, which means "use of performance-enhancing drugs in sport. " She was banned for snorting coke.

I'd love to see this invitation flourish. Heck I'd love to see Hingis and Kournikova reunite and play slam doubles for another decade.

pascal77
Jul 16th, 2011, 02:04 AM

Who made this rule, which sounds very stupid and ridiculous. If the doping sanction imposed upon the player is over, he/she is entitled to competing in any tournaments, Olympic Games naturally included. It seems that those so-called authorities have too much power, and they can do anything they want.

cowsonice
Jul 16th, 2011, 04:01 AM
The ban ended in October 2008..so does that mean that Martina can't play for '12 Olympics? Rats, Beijing ended 2 months before the end of her ban. :o

The Kaz
Jul 16th, 2011, 05:14 AM
The ban ended in October 2008..so does that mean that Martina can't play for '12 Olympics? Rats, Beijing ended 2 months before the end of her ban. :o

The rule states the ban is in place if the offence was committed after 27th June 2008.

Wasn't Martina found guilty before the 27th June?

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jul 16th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I highly doubt she did anything by her choice like take cocaine, lol. What a dumb move that would be. There a million things to help your performance athletes take before cocaine, jeez. And it certainly didnt help her play.

Total and utter misunderstanding. I would even believe first that what she took was actually a PED, and was given a choice to be caught with PED, or lie and say it was something else to get banned. She decided to say it was cocaine so her image ON THE COURT wouldnt be tarnished. That is more believable than her taking cocaine to help her performance.

Fantasy Hero
Jul 16th, 2011, 11:24 AM

this :inlove:

Bezz
Jul 16th, 2011, 11:25 AM
They'd win if they entered....but i dont think they will.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 16th, 2011, 11:30 AM
It would be sick if Martina wouldn't be allowed to compete at the Olympics for something as irrelevant as snorting coke while it's quite possible that half or more of the athletes that will end up going home with medals are filled up to their ears with steroids, epo and/or growth hormone.

Steven.
Jul 16th, 2011, 11:33 AM

Wouldn't this mean that Hingis would've been banned from the 2008 Beijing Olympics?

Malkmus_
Jul 16th, 2011, 11:52 AM
EDIT: That should be the USOC are trying to overturn it to CAS and the IOC agreed to their challenge, but the result hasn't been announced yet. The likelihood will be that CAS will probably uphold it, in order to keep "drug cheats" from the Games, even though a majority of medalists will test positive anyway, so I don't see the point. Seeing as WADA/ITF/IOC consider cocaine to be "performance enhancing", even though we all know it isn't, then it would exclude Hingis from the games.

Steven, it means she will be banned from the next eligible games after the expiry of the ban, which would be 2012.

pav
Jul 16th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I couldn't give a fat rat's backside as to what Federer wants.

Sammo
Jul 16th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Wouldn't this mean that Hingis would've been banned from the 2008 Beijing Olympics?

The ban expired in 2009

Malkmus_
Jul 16th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Who made this rule, which sounds very stupid and ridiculous. If the doping sanction imposed upon the player is over, he/she is entitled to competing in any tournaments, Olympic Games naturally included. It seems that those so-called authorities have too much power, and they can do anything they want.
Unfortunately, they can do what they want. I'd say this rule is extremely draconian and unfair, but the IOC seem to think otherwise. In the UK, any sportsman/woman who is banned for drugs, regardless of the length of the ban, automatically gets a lifetime ban from the Olympics. Sprinter Dwain Chambers tried to get it overturned just before Beijing, but he lost his appeal in the high courts.

The rule states the ban is in place if the offence was committed after 27th June 2008.

Wasn't Martina found guilty before the 27th June?
It says here that if it happened in a four-year period prior to 2012, but she was banned in January 2008, so I don't know if it will count. I'm not sure when the cut-off date is.
http://corporate.olympics.com.au/news/ioc-to-ban-drug-cheats-from-future-olympics

"Under the regulation, athletes will be banned from the following Games if they received a drug suspension of at least six months in the previous four-year period."

backhandsmash
Jul 16th, 2011, 03:21 PM
It would be sick if Martina wouldn't be allowed to compete at the Olympics for something as irrelevant as snorting coke while it's quite possible that half or more of the athletes that will end up going home with medals are filled up to their ears with steroids, epo and/or growth hormone.

But, but, but...cocaine is a hell of a drug! Right? :lol:

LoveFifteen
Jul 16th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Jesus have mercy. JCTennisFan is a such a ignorant, dim-witted, petulant twat. Almost the perfect human being to be a fan of Jennifer White Trashriati. :rolls:

guichard
Jul 16th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately, they can do what they want. I'd say this rule is extremely draconian and unfair, but the IOC seem to think otherwise. In the UK, any sportsman/woman who is banned for drugs, regardless of the length of the ban, automatically gets a lifetime ban from the Olympics. Sprinter Dwain Chambers tried to get it overturned just before Beijing, but he lost his appeal in the high courts.

It says here that if it happened in a four-year period prior to 2012, but she was banned in January 2008, so I don't know if it will count. I'm not sure when the cut-off date is.
http://corporate.olympics.com.au/news/ioc-to-ban-drug-cheats-from-future-olympics

"Under the regulation, athletes will be banned from the following Games if they received a drug suspension of at least six months in the previous four-year period."

Her banned officially started October 2007.

It therefore ruled, in accordance with the sanctions prescribed by the World Anti-Doping Code, that Ms Hingis be suspended from participation for a period of two years, commencing on 1 October 2007, and that her results from The Wimbledon Championships and subsequent events should be disqualified, with the resulting forfeiture of the ranking points and repayment of the prize money (totalling a sum of $129,481) that she won at those events.

http://www.itftennis.com/antidoping/news/pressrelease.asp?articleid=18254

at should be the USOC are trying to overturn it to CAS and the IOC agreed to their challenge, but the result hasn't been announced yet. The likelihood will be that CAS will probably uphold it, in order to keep "drug cheats" from the Games, even though a majority of medalists will test positive anyway, so I don't see the point. Seeing as WADA/ITF/IOC consider cocaine to be "performance enhancing", even though we all know it isn't, then it would exclude Hingis from the games.

Steven, it means she will be banned from the next eligible games after the expiry of the ban, which would be 2012.

A hearing is scheduled for 17 August 2011 and a final decision in this matter is likely to be
issued at the end of September 2011 http://www.tas-cas.org/d2wfiles/docu...6.11%20ENG.pdf

Chrissie-fan
Jul 16th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Jesus have mercy. JCTennisFan is a such a ignorant, dim-witted, petulant twat. Almost the perfect human being to be a fan of Jennifer White Trashriati. :rolls:
Thank you very much! :(

Ryan
Jul 16th, 2011, 04:50 PM

This. Dude, you have to see what he says about Jankovic being as talented as Hingis in the "redirecting shot" thread. :facepalm: It's literally one of the worst things I've ever read.

LoveFifteen
Jul 16th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Thank you very much! :(

Oh, babe, you know I love you!!! You're one of my favorite posters on this board. :inlove:

Chrissie-fan
Jul 16th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Oh, babe, you know I love you!!! You're one of my favorite posters on this board. :inlove:

....But one who happens to like Jennifer White Trashriati as much as Martina the genius Hingis! :(

:p ;)

rada
Jul 16th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I think they will play :)

GoofyDuck
Jul 16th, 2011, 08:19 PM
This. Dude, you have to see what he says about Jankovic being as talented as Hingis in the "redirecting shot" thread. :facepalm: It's literally one of the worst things I've ever read.

But those were the good things he wrote :fiery:

Raiden
Jul 22nd, 2011, 05:59 AM

Points should be removed from the Olympics if it's going to be like this.:bs:

if Switzerland don't have high enough ranked players then they shouldn't get into the mixed. :shrug: Obviously it is unfair to the players (both from Switzerland and other countries who could get in) who play for their ranking if they were to lose their place for a retired player/old name. If Hingis wants to come back and earn a decent ranking then by all means. Otherwise what Anthony said is right. :shrug::bs:

What part of "there are no ranking points in mixed doubles" do you guys not understand?

Timea never plays mixed doubles so absolutely nothing is taken away from her. And if she suddenly wants to play that form of tennis then no one is blocking her way. She can go ahead and pick a partner Wawa or (if she fancies her chances) try to seduce Roger away from Hingis and snatch him if she can.

But if Hingis finds herself in mixed doubles Olympics then it would be 100% fully earned and fully legit.

Betten
Jul 22nd, 2011, 06:36 AM
If Hingis were to compete in the Olympics it would only emphasize how tennis, as an Olympic sport, is something of a non-event.

Daniel
Jul 22nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Roger and Martina would be the best team , easily the gold medalists

ChrisCologne
Jul 22nd, 2011, 06:21 PM
Presenting you with the facts now to end this utopia here:

Federer´s and Hingis´s home newspaper who stood loyal to them since day1 and who definetly should know the facts to lead public opinion in Switzerland in this case to persuade both of them to play, blick.ch, today listed the facts speaking against this mixed in 2012 and that it will remain a DREAM

The basic fact is that the drug ban for Hingis stood between 2007-09 and that it says within the rule you´re banned for the next Olympics AFTER the ban, not WITHIN the ban

Therefore, if the ITF and all Olympic committee should break this rule for a charta-Hingis, the whole doping and drug system would be called ridiculous. Even Blick.ch got that

Furthermore, the qualifying facts for the Olympic mixed doubles are announced next week. I think we´ll now by then if the committee also would allow old stars to play which would be ridiculous as the field comprises just 16 nations and some of them could easily send 2-3 mixed doubles of the current age and it should not happen with Hingis+oldies anyhow

LoveFifteen
Jul 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM
If Hingis were to compete in the Olympics it would only emphasize how tennis, as an Olympic sport, is something of a non-event.
Whatever, Ms. Q! When Hingis came back in 2006, she won the first mixed double Slam she played after being out of the game for almost four years. She is one of the greatest doubles talents of all time. :hearts::hearts::hearts:

Adrian.
Jul 22nd, 2011, 10:57 PM
I hope she doesn't come back :haha::oh:

Graftard
Jul 23rd, 2011, 02:47 AM
I hope she doesn't come back :haha::oh:

Fed needs his mixed doubles gold, so Wingis better oblige!!

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 23rd, 2011, 03:11 AM
Fed needs his mixed doubles gold, so Wingis better oblige!!
He needs a singles gold more (not that that will happen, not in '12). :secret:

Morning Morgan
Jul 23rd, 2011, 04:32 AM
Well, well. Is this one step closer to a comeback?

http://opensource.si.com/2011/07/22/federer-hingis-in-talks-for-2012-olympics/?sct=tn_t11_a0

It’s said that true champions can make everyone around them better. Apparently, Roger Federer can also make them consider coming out of retirement.

Former No. 1 Martina Hingis had an “informal conversation” with Federer’s camp about the two Swiss stars playing as a mixed doubles pair in the 2012 London Olympics, Phil de Picciotto, the Octagon president of athletes & personalities and one of her agents, confirmed via email to SI.com after reports surfaced of the potential pairing (http://www.thedailyforehand.com/2011/7/13/2274084/martina-hingis-roger-federer-olympics-mixed-doubles-london-comeback).

Though de Picciotto said it’s “premature for Martina to think about the Olympics,” Swiss Tennis president René Stammbach told SI.com that he will be sitting down in August and “having conversations with the parties involved on that potential subject,” indicating the possible Federer-Hingis pairing is being taken seriously at the highest levels of the federation. Additionally, the Swiss Olympic Association — which said that it, too, had heard the chatter — will be meeting with Federer’s team early next week to discuss in detail the 16-time Grand Slam champion’s Olympic plans, including the “question about Martina Hingis.”

Federer will certainly need the official Swiss blessing if he hopes to form his duo. ITF Olympic eligibility criteria state that all players must have made themselves available for national team play — either Davis Cup or Fed Cup — in at least two of the Olympic cycle’s four years, including one of its final two. Though Hingis has not appeared in a Fed Cup tie since 1998, the rules are vague regarding what constitutes “making oneself available,” leaving open the possibility that with Swiss Tennis’ support, Hingis could clear that hurdle.

A chance at Olympic gold would probably need to come after a return to the WTA Tour for Hingis, who has won five Grand Slams singles titles and nine in doubles. Any player who wants to enter mixed doubles at the Olympics must already be on site for either singles or doubles — draws into which entry is determined by professional ranking, which Hingis does not currently have. While the ITF issues a few wild cards, it seems unlikely that Hingis would receive one without having spent at least a few weeks playing at the tour level.

ITF rules would also require Hingis to make herself available for anti-doping testing for at least three months prior to any Olympic participation. She could satisfy this standard through out-of-competition testing and need not necessarily return to the tour in order to do so. Indeed, Hingis is currently registered with the Swiss anti-doping authorities and makes herself available for testing, according to Michael Krattiger, head of information and prevention at Antidoping Switzerland. Krattiger declined to say whether Hingis had been tested recently, citing agency policy.

And based on her recent World TeamTennis play, the Swiss Miss, who is scheduled to play in a Pro-Am at the Mercury Insurance Open in San Diego in August, appears to be in good enough form to surpass No. 56 in the rankings and receive a direct acceptance (http://www.itftennis.com/shared/medialibrary/pdf/original/IO_58363_original.PDF) for Olympic singles.

Cynics should be careful not to write off the possibility of Hingis’ successful return. During her 2006 comeback — which was cut short roughly two years after it began when she tested positive for cocaine — Hingis quickly found her way back into the top 10, prevailing over the conventional wisdom that said she was too small to survive in the tour’s new era of power hitting. In a sign of what may be to come, the 30-year-old Hingis looked fired up and excited after defeating a rusty Serena Williams on Wednesday at the New York Sportimes’ final home match of the WTT season — a win that bodes well if Hingis decides to pursue a medal.

Graftard
Jul 23rd, 2011, 04:38 AM
He needs a singles gold more (not that that will happen, not in '12). :secret:

Fed is winning 2012 singles gold. He is by far the best grass courter of the last decade. He can actually serve, play at the net and slice. Fakervic and the Butt Picker both lack these skills. Which explains that Fed's 11 grass titles >>>> anyone on the tour. Deal.

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 23rd, 2011, 04:53 AM
Fed is winning 2012 singles gold. He is by far the best grass courter of the last decade. He can actually serve, play at the net and slice. Fakervic and the Butt Picker both lack these skills. Which explains that Fed's 11 grass titles >>>> anyone on the tour. Deal.
Still the best grass courter at this point in time? Then why in the last two Wimbledons

Nadal: W - F
Djokovic: SF - W
Federer: QF - QF

:shrug:

Root
Jul 23rd, 2011, 04:55 AM
Still the best grass courter at this point in time? Then why in the last two Wimbledons

Nadal: W - F
Djokovic: SF - W
Federer: QF - QF

:shrug:

Bad days.

Novichok
Jul 23rd, 2011, 04:57 AM

Exactly.:worship:

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 23rd, 2011, 05:16 AM
Bad days.

Perhaps, but doesn't change the results.

Graftard
Jul 23rd, 2011, 05:20 AM
Perhaps, but doesn't change the results.

When Djoko and Nadal win 6 wimbledons each, you can bring up the statistics. Until then, don't bother, otherwise it looks embarrassing. Federer is the the best grass courter of this generarion and neither Djokovic or Nadal are gonna match him in Wimbledon count. I would honestly bet my life on it.

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 23rd, 2011, 05:23 AM
When Djoko and Nadal win 6 wimbledons each, you can bring up the statistics. Until then, don't bother, otherwise it looks embarrassing. Federer is the the best grass courter of this generarion and neither Djokovic or Nadal are gonna match him in Wimbledon count. I would honestly bet my life on it.
I was talking about the last couple of years only. :p

faboozadoo15
Jul 27th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Oh come on, she was found guilty by a tribunal after evidence was submitted; that's about as close as you can get to certainty that she did take cocaine. I do actually agree with you that cocaine isn't a big deal, as it only impairs sporting performance, and I actually don't believe tennis players should be banned for taking it.......but let's not pretend there's any doubt about whether she was taking it.

(Incidentally, it's not true to say Gasquet was found to have twice as much coke in his system than Hingis... this was based on a misreporting which added an extra zero to the amount Gasquet was found to have, or something. In reality, Gasquet had about only a fifth the amount of cocaine in his system than Hingis did; scientists at the separate tribunals testified that it was plausible that you could ingest the volume of cocaine that Gasquet had from another person, but it wasn't plausible in the case of the volume Hingis had.)

Anywho, I'd certainly like to see a Federer-Hingis pairing. I don't really care about whether it would make a mockery of the rankings... as good players as I'm sure doubles specialists like Liezl Huber and Cara whatever are, we all know that the top singles players would dominate the doubles if they bothered to play it more; Federer himself showed this when he easily won the Gold medal in Beijing despite being in a slump and being paired with "only" a run-of-the-mill top 20 player. Federer-Hingis would easily be one of the strongest teams in the mixed doubles (if not THE strongest) even if they got a place at the expense of the #8 doubles team.

My GOD, are you just making things up as you go? Hingis tested having 42 ng/ml and Gasquet tested having 151 ng/ml in their respective systems.

Martina tested with such a low amount that she wouldn't have been sanctioned by the US military.

christina_fl
Aug 16th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Federer repeated today that if he plays mixed at the OG, then only with Martina! His management has already contacted her, but she hasn't given an answer yet.

So the thing is still on, but still some problems to be solved.

I am still hoping tough.....