PDA

View Full Version : Serena could win 18 to 20 slams

justineheninfan
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Call me crazy but I still think Serena can reach 18-20 slams. First off it isnt untypical of players to be in their primes into their 30s. Navratilova was still in her prime aged 30-32, she just didnt win many slams and wasnt #1 anymore since the greatest ever Steffi Graf was also reaching her prime and was superior to her. Evert likewise played arguably her best ever tennis in her early 30s, taking her game to a new level to counter Navratlova, she just was overtaken by two superior player in Navratilova and Graf. Laver completed the Grand Slam at age 31 and his best years of tennis were generally to be believed aged 28-33. Court was still dominating at 31 and probably could have another couple years if she didnt take another pregnancy break. Agassi played his best ever tennis aged 29-33.

So I believe Serena, given good health, could play as well as ever these next 3 years, or atleast as well as any period outside her 2002-July 2003 where she hit an out of orbit level for female tennis. And unlike the others there is not an even greater player to overtake her while still in her prime, atleast not yet.

So 6 or 7 slams in the 2012-2014 period is very possible. Starting in 2015 she would likely start to really regress with age, and the field will have to have improved by then.

Lucemferre
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hater baiting thread to attack Serena?:rolleyes:

If tennis was her life,she would've won more but it's her life and she isalready an all time great so there is not much to complain about.

NoppaNoppa
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:53 PM
She could have. Need to be fit to play to win any.
She will not reach that tally anymore.

justineheninfan
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Who is a major threat to Serena for the forseeable future other than Kvitova. Sharapova still needs to sort out her serve or an in form Serena will roll her. The other up and comers arent even at Kvitova's level. I could see Na maybe winning another slam or two but she will never dominate. Momma Kim already looks bored and ready to retire again, and Serena will be hell bent on revenge next time they play. If Serena can stay healthy and regains top form and fitness winning roughly half the slams over the next several years is hardly far fetched.

longtin23
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:54 PM
She could, but will she??

Mynarco
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I always believe Serena will win 2-3 more slams. She doesn't look like retiring in 2012 so there will be a couple of years for her to win slams and make Wozniacki slamless when she can still whore up useless premium tournaments

If she's healthy she can bag Wimbledon next year

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:58 PM
She definitely won't be as fit as before especially when she's reaching her 30s. She won't be winning slams like she did when she was during the mid 00's. She will not win more than 4 slams from now on, especially the French Open.

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I'd say 3 more Slams. The Australian Open will always be her best chance because it suits her playing style these days to a tee, and she also has an advantage in that she's confident/experienced enough to bring her best within a few weeks after the offseason, whereas most players need a few tournaments to get properly warmed up. She might sneak in another Wimbledon if she serves her best. RG's definitely not happening, and I'd be surprised if she got another US Open - it just doesn't suit her game that much.

So I'd say 16 Slams overall. Great, obviously, but certainly not enough to put her anywhere near the GOAT discussion - all the real GOAT contenders were either first or second of their generation on ALL surfaces, whereas Serena is arguably not even top 5 on clay in her generation.

Anabelcroft
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:25 PM
She could, but will she??

this

Sammo
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Forget it, she'll be lucky to get another one. Navratilova was playing great at age 32 because her game was serve and volley, and at 32 she was physically much better than Serena will be at the same age.

theFutureisNow
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:33 PM
In the last decade 28 has been the age of no return. At one point 39 of 40 slam winners(or something like that) were 28 or under.
This has changed somewhat in the last couple years with the failure of many younger players to emerge, but I think age is still fairly important.

Her first priority should be getting back into tennis shape. Then let her win one slam before even bringing up a question like this.

In her comeback so far the best player she beat was ranked 27th and she lost to two players she used to own. I don't think we will have a good idea of how successful Serena will be until after the Australian Open.

Serenus Christ
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Forget it, she'll be lucky to get another one. Navratilova was playing great at age 32 because her game was serve and volley, and at 32 she was physically much better than Serena will be at the same age.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo13koj5FY1qkr2jio1_500.gif

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM
In the last decade 28 has been the age of no return. At one point 39 of 40 slam winners(or something like that) were 28 or under.
This has changed somewhat in the last couple years with the failure of many younger players to emerge, but I think age is still fairly important.

Her first priority should be getting back into tennis shape. Then let her win one slam before even bringing up a question like this.

In her comeback so far the best player she beat was ranked 27th and she lost to two players she used to own. I don't think we will have a good idea of how successful Serena will be until after the Australian Open.

Her comeback has consisted of 6 matches.:lol: I think Serena will win more slams but I don't know if she'll reach 18. I hope so though.

Serenita
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I always believe Serena will win 2-3 more slams. She doesn't look like retiring in 2012 so there will be a couple of years for her to win slams and make Wozniacki slamless when she can still whore up useless premium tournaments

If she's healthy she can bag Wimbledon next year
It took exactly five reply's before someone mentioned Caro. :lol:

Time will tell. Serena has the mental fortitude and if she stay's the physical strength to do it. But like i said before time will tell. :D

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Crazy

rimon
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Call me crazy but I still think Serena can reach 18-20 slams. First off it isnt untypical of players to be in their primes into their 30s. Navratilova was still in her prime aged 30-32, she just didnt win many slams and wasnt #1 anymore since the greatest ever Steffi Graf was also reaching her prime and was superior to her. Evert likewise played arguably her best ever tennis in her early 30s, taking her game to a new level to counter Navratlova, she just was overtaken by two superior player in Navratilova and Graf. Laver completed the Grand Slam at age 31 and his best years of tennis were generally to be believed aged 28-33. Court was still dominating at 31 and probably could have another couple years if she didnt take another pregnancy break. Agassi played his best ever tennis aged 29-33.

So I believe Serena, given good health, could play as well as ever these next 3 years, or atleast as well as any period outside her 2002-July 2003 where she hit an out of orbit level for female tennis. And unlike the others there is not an even greater player to overtake her while still in her prime, atleast not yet.

So 6 or 7 slams in the 2012-2014 period is very possible. Starting in 2015 she would likely start to really regress with age, and the field will have to have improved by then.

Margaret Court retired in 1977. Anyway, no, she will end with around 15, is my guess.

theFutureisNow
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Her comeback has consisted of 6 matches.:lol: I think Serena will win more slams but I don't know if she'll reach 18. I hope so though.

And what in those 6 matches would make someone think she will win 7 more slams?

I'm not the one making the crazy prediction.

azinna
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:48 PM
She'd need to avoid dancing (knee in '03) and going to bars in sandals (feet in '10) for us to even bump this thread in a year.

18majors
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM
She will be 30 years old in less than 3 months.

bobito
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Call me crazy but I still think Serena can reach 18-20 slams. First off it isnt untypical of players to be in their primes into their 30s.

Yes it is. The only women who have won slams in their 30s in the open era are Court, King, Evert and Navratilova. All of those played in a far less physically demanding era that had nothing like the strength in depth of field of the present women's game.

Pump-it-UP
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:55 PM
She'll need to continue taking her fitness seriously like it looks like she's been doing these past 3 months. If she can do that (big if :lol::sad:) then nothing's impossible.

18majors
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Yes it is. The only women who have won slams in their 30s in the open era are Court, King, Evert and Navratilova. All of those played in a far less physically demanding era that had nothing like the strength in depth of field of the present women's game.

You're absolutely right.

dane
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Serena Caroline could win 18 to 20 slams
Fixed :wavey:

Olórin
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:10 PM

She is in tennis shape. That was apparent to all who saw her on the court. And it was clear that the elements of her game were there. What we saw at Wimbledon wasn't even as bad as some latter parts of 2007 where her footwork appeared to have gone and she was really not hitting her strokes very hard at all, matches like the Moscow Final where her game just completely disintegrated.

She will have her chances in the coming slams.

englando08
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Ever since Serena got to twelve majors, I have wanted her to get to 15. If she gets fifteen I'll be happy. But if she gets sixteen, that'd be perfect. And that's not too far fetched of an idea. Oh and an Olympics Gold in singles please!

justineheninfan
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I am surprised to see people saying another French is impossible. It will be very hard and might not happen but not impossible IMO. She was very close to winning in 2009 and 2010. Had she won those very tight matches she lost she probably goes on to win both.

I have always felt ability wise (even if not stat wise right now) she was the 2nd best clay courter of her era after only Henin. And it is also worth noting that every year Henin wasnt there that Serena was the bookies favorite to win the the French.

!VamosRafa!
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM
IMO She will win 3 more- 2 Ao and 1 Wimby :D

ArcticMoose
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM
At a run rate of 2slams per year, that will require a further 3years of playing at the top to reach 18 - Not beyond the realms of possibility - but odds are stacked against it.

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:22 PM

Oh guysssss, if even I can see Serena's almost certain to win atleast one more Slam, I'm sure you can. :lol: Over the last two years, we've seen two journeywomen who'd never previously even made a Slam semifinal suddenly win Slams at the age of 29. Even if Wimbledon showed the health of the sport is improving a bit, it ain't going to improve so fast that Serena can't get atleast one more. :tape:

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I am surprised to see people saying another French is impossible. It will be very hard and might not happen but not impossible IMO. She was very close to winning in 2009 and 2010. Had she won those very tight matches she lost she probably goes on to win both.

I have always felt ability wise (even if not stat wise right now) she was the 2nd best clay courter of her era after only Henin. And it is also worth noting that every year Henin wasnt there that Serena was the bookies favorite to win the the French.

Don't agree with this though, I think RG is a lost cause for her at this point. I don't think she even cares about it particularly anymore... certainly not enough to put in the effort that would be required in the lead-up to the event if she was to have a real shot at it. Her footwork on clay is ATROCIOUS those days, and her biggest weapon (serve) is nullified. Has she even beaten a single top 10 player on red clay in the last, like, 8 years?

Serenita
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Oh guysssss, if even I can see Serena's almost certain to win atleast one more Slam, I'm sure you can. :lol: Over the last two years, we've seen two journeywomen who'd never previously even made a Slam semifinal suddenly win Slams at the age of 29. Even if Wimbledon showed the health of the sport is improving a bit, it ain't going to improve so fast that Serena can't get atleast one more. :tape:
Look who came in here.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnny8qV4jV1qznjc3.gif

As if no one expected it.

Vikapower
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:49 PM
We're not in 2002-2003 anymore with weak fields and incapacitated opponents. :rolleyes: Now there is Wozniacki, who might not considered to be a threat to more talented players like Petra or Maria but who can be a real poison for Rena a notch below -- and there is Petra, a much more talented version of Rena.

She does everything the American does in better, faster, more brilliant... and most importantly humbly. There's also Victoria who has always been a danger for Rena in AO... there's also her age ; 30 years old, how do you win 7 more majors when you can't run or lift a racket correctly anymore !? I'm very confident that the American might not lift a major trophy more less major trophies anytime soon.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:01 PM
lol, this thread kinda proves to me that justineheninfan is a bit delusional. She has 13.... she'd have to win another 5-7, in other words she'd have to win ALL the slams Justine did in her entire career.... and serena is what, 29? I VERY highly doubt it. She has maybe 2 left in her...... no way does she have 7 left in her. Im willing to eat my words, but something tells me I wont have to :tape: .

Serena is a Big Server with a reasonably good ground game now. She still serves better than anyone in the game, but her groundstrokes are something to be desired. Most of the venom has been lost in her ground game. She no longer can easily hit her opponents out of points in 1-2 strokes... unless she backs things up with an awesome Serve, in which case she can just hit to the open court off the return. She admittedly has gotten a bit better at staying in the points longer without erroring.... but thats not her nature. And it wont consistently pay off for her in the future, I can almost guarantee that.

LightWarrior
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:17 PM
We're not in 2002-2003 anymore with weak fields and incapacitated opponents. :rolleyes: Now there is Wozniacki, who might not considered to be a threat to more talented players like Petra or Maria but who can be a real poison for Rena a notch below -- and there is Petra, a much more talented version of Rena.

Will you just stop talking out of your ass ? :help:

Matt01
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:21 PM
It took exactly five reply's before someone mentioned Caro. :lol:

And Caro could win 21-25 Slams :devil:

justineheninfan
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:47 PM
lol, this thread kinda proves to me that justineheninfan is a bit delusional.

ROTFL so says the one who thinks Capriati could return to the tour at 35 and do very well. :lol: Lets see now, which is more likely:

-the worst 3 slam winner in history who won only 14 tournaments in her prime coming back after shoulder surgeries and a long retirement and being on top at 35.

-a legend and by far the best player of her generation winning more slams while aged 29-32

Hmm tough choice everyone. :tape:

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 13th, 2011, 07:02 PM
On one hand, Serena's been looking FIT recently. I do think she plans on taking tennis [more] seriously [than she did pre-injury] now that she can play again. At least from recent pictures she looks as good as I've seen her since maybe 04? Now whether her trimming down translates to her remembering what a ROS is, or forceful groundstrokes for that matter, remains to be seen. I think we'll be able to gauge this better post USO. Calling 5 more is a bit hasty, but I would be thoroughly stunned if she didn't win at least 2 more before hanging the racket up.

EDIT: I hope she's not going soft though. In her first two tournaments back I've seen her raise her hand in apology for netcord winners, and applaud opponents' winners. Not what I'm here to see :tape:

Serena_Williams_
Jul 13th, 2011, 07:34 PM
On one hand, Serena's been looking FIT recently. I do think she plans on taking tennis [more] seriously [than she did pre-injury] now that she can play again. At least from recent pictures she looks as good as I've seen her since maybe 04? Now whether her trimming down translates to her remembering what a ROS is, or forceful groundstrokes for that matter, remains to be seen. I think we'll be able to gauge this better post USO. Calling 5 more is a bit hasty, but I would be thoroughly stunned if she didn't win at least 2 more before hanging the racket up.

EDIT: I hope she's not going soft though. In her first two tournaments back I've seen her raise her hand in apology for netcord winners, and applaud opponents' winners. Not what I'm here to see :tape:

I'm not really worried a lot abt that being fit because ik she is there.What is worrying me is her ground game and ROS.She needs to start playing her power game like in she did before she got all the health problems.She was much more agressive and now she looks like someone who is trying to put the ball in play.Ik and i hope that her agression comes back for the USO and with that the ROS too

Rui.
Jul 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I'm not really worried a lot abt that being fit because ik she is there.What is worrying me is her ground game and ROS.She needs to start playing her power game like in she did before she got all the health problems.She was much more agressive and now she looks like someone who is trying to put the ball in play.Ik and i hope that her agression comes back for the USO and with that the ROS too

THe power game will come with time... But i do agree, her return of serve was pretty much horrible in the matches i saw of her :tape:

Mistress of Evil
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:02 PM
She could have been able to do it if not for those numerous terrible injuries and that devastating tragedy with her sister :awww:
that said, she does have 3 more majors left in her :D

Daniela-Is-Mine
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM
If she hadnt had the embolism I would have definitely seen this as a possibility.

Still she gets the Martha seal of approval
http://i51.tinypic.com/ilkca1.png

Serena_Williams_
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:15 PM
If she hadnt had the embolism I would have definitely seen this as a possibility.

:lol:

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:35 PM
And not to be mean or to say that she for certain has done this... but Look up the cause for embolisms in young, extremely fit players. You may be suprised what some of the reasons could be.....{polycythemia}. Notice how after her embolism she remarkably seems to have lost power/aggressiveness.

BluSthil
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:44 PM
It is doubful that Serena will win 18 to 20 slams, even if she only plays the GS's. If she plays the GS's, Premier Mandatory and Premier 5 events, it is also very doubtful she could win that many GS's given her propensity for injury. Next year may be a very telling time for Serena. Depending on what success she has during 2012 and the 2012 Olympics, she may decide to say goodbye to tennis and concentrate on her other endeavors.

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:44 PM
And not to be mean or to say that she for certain has done this... but Look up the cause for embolisms in young, extremely fit players. You may be suprised what some of the reasons could be.....{polycythemia}. Notice how after her embolism she remarkably seems to have lost power/aggressiveness.

Wasn't her embolism caused by problems relating to her foot and surgeries? She's lost power/aggressiveness because she hasn't played in almost a year.

Olórin
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:45 PM

You really are reaching in this thread. Serena hit with less power in many parts of 2007 than she has in 2011 so far. Serena's groundstroke speed was averaging at around 69mph in Wimbledon, which still puts her as one of the fastest hitters on tour. So you are quite wrong to suggest that her loss of power is "remarkable". Merely, noticeable.

If you think logically and don't conjure up deadly diseases without reason, Serena's embolism most likely came from the fact she didn't move her leg as it was in a cast for 6 months. It is quite normal for pulmonary embolisms to form in this way then move up the body towards the lung. I wonder, do you spend as much time and energy into cyber-diagnosing Cappies psychological causes for her ODs as you have devoted to Serena in this thread? Frankly, I don't think your comment was called for and I find your motives questionable.

sweetpeas
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Time will tell. Serena has the mental fortitude and if she stay's the physical strength to do it. But like i said before time will tell.

So Right.But I truly just want Serena to stay healthy and play tennis.13 SLAMS who else playing now has 13?

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Im not reaching, I just think its interesting that the player on tour that has muscles like that of a man got an embolism, which is a side affect of, well, Ill let you all go find out what it is a side effect of. Im not saying that it is guranteed, but After Agassi's book came out its quite obvious that the Tour will cover anything up for its successful American players... They did with Andre {and numerous other people we yet dont know about....}

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Im not reaching, I just think its interesting that the player on tour that has muscles like that of a man got an embolism, which is a side affect of, well, Ill let you all go find out what it is a side effect of. Im not saying that it is guranteed, but After Agassi's book came out its quite obvious that the Tour will cover anything up for its successful American players... They did with Andre {and numerous other people we yet dont know about....}

You are really reaching. Serena was inactive for a very long time; the embolism didn't come out of nowhere. Just because Agassi's drug issues were covered up doesn't mean Serena has issues of her own.

Serena_Williams_
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Oh really?

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:52 PM
You really are reaching in this thread. Serena hit with less power in many parts of 2007 than she has in 2011 so far. Serena's groundstroke speed was averaging at around 69mph in Wimbledon, which still puts her as one of the fastest hitters on tour. So you are quite wrong to suggest that her loss of power is "remarkable". Merely, noticeable.

If you think logically and don't conjure up deadly diseases without reason, Serena's embolism most likely came from the fact she didn't move her leg as it was in a cast for 6 months. It is quite normal for pulmonary embolisms to form in this way then move up the body towards the lung. I wonder, do you spend as much time and energy into cyber-diagnosing Cappies psychological causes for her ODs as you have devoted to Serena in this thread? Frankly, I don't think your comment was called for and I find your motives questionable.

And trust me, im not talking about Serena having a disease. There are just certain things that can potentially cause blood clotting to form from overproduction of red blood cells. We have all seen that Serena can sometimes boarder on manic aggressivness {09 US Open?} which is yet again another side affect of a particular something. And on top of it im kinda interested in the fact that after said embolism she seems to not be as muscular/aggressive. Did she potentially start doing something different after the embolism scare? Afterall it could of killed her.... It could make a person rethink what they are doing to their bodies.

YET again I MUST point out that this isnt necessarily the deal... but you have to admit that when you think about it the puzzle pieces seem to fit together.... {And the best of all time Graf even said herself that she believed players might be doing the same thing that Serena potentially might of done at one point in time... So it isnt just me saying this. The greatest player ever was suspicous of players in her era as well.}

Dodoboy.
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:53 PM

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o105/Basifiea/GIFs/1zefihf.gif

bobito
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Calling 5 more is a bit hasty, but I would be thoroughly stunned if she didn't win at least 2 more before hanging the racket up.

In all honesty, I'd be stunned if she did. Let's look at the task facing her.

1. No player has won a slam in their 30s for 20 years. The game is more physically demanding now and there is much more strength in depth so such a thing would be even harder. It would be a tall order even if she'd been playing regularly but after an 11 month layoff?

2. The next two majors are on hard courts. A decent surface for Serena certainly but also the favourite surface for most players on tour. So the competition is going to be tougher. Now add to that the fact that she is likely to be unseeded at the US Open and seeded low at the Aussie Open and it will probably be a very tough road through to the semis. Back in Oz 2007 that posed no problem to Serena but she was only 25 then.

3. The French has been a happy hunting ground for older players in the last couple of years, mainly due to the lack of younger players with good clay court skills. But Serena hasn't made it past the quarters there in 8 years and has won only one clay court tournament in last 9 years.

4. Wimbledon next year may be her best shot but there is a new champion there with a great grass court game. If Kvitova can kick on from here, she'll be mighty hard to beat. This year's other three semi-finalists won't be a pushover either.

5. 7 out of 8 quarter finalists were under 25 at Wimbledon, as were all four semi-finalists and the champion only 21. The recent jinx of young players not doing well in slams has been broken. I suspect Kvitova's win might have taken a weight off the shoulders of her whole generation. That would be bad news not only for Serena but also for Kim, Li, Frankie and Vera

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM
And trust me, im not talking about Serena having a disease. There are just certain things that can potentially cause blood clotting to form from overproduction of red blood cells. We have all seen that Serena can sometimes boarder on manic aggressivness {09 US Open?} which is yet again another side affect of a particular something. And on top of it im kinda interested in the fact that after said embolism she seems to not be as muscular/aggressive. Did she potentially start doing something different after the embolism scare? Afterall it could of killed her.... It could make a person rethink what they are doing to their bodies.

YET again I MUST point out that this isnt necessarily the deal... but you have to admit that when you think about it the puzzle pieces seem to fit together.... {And the best of all time Graf even said herself that she believed players might be doing the same thing that Serena potentially might of done at one point in time... So it isnt just me saying this. The greatest player ever was suspicous of players in her era as well.}

Serena was aggressive but she definitely wasn't manic. Having a blow-up doesn't mean that you're on steroids either.

sweetpeas
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:58 PM
U.S. would rat on the Williams Sisters. Look how they keep build Andy R.up.Please stop the bull crap!!!One would think he won 13 slams,yes i like Andy.

How many times the open screw Serena?

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:59 PM

And I didnt realize having an analytical mindset was a bad thing? Its always good to see all the potential causes of something to make the best, most informed decision. Its called being smart??

Gdsimmons
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:00 PM
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o105/Basifiea/GIFs/1zefihf.gif

:lol::lol: laughed so hard.

But in all honesty, I think it is totally plausible that Serena can end up with between 15-18 majors. I mean she has 13 now and nobody is getting close to that anytime soon, so 13 is not a bad number either.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:01 PM
U.S. would rat on the Williams Sisters. Look how they keep build Andy R.up.Please stop the bull crap!!!One would think he won 13 slams,yes i like Andy.

How many times the open screw Serena?

Trust me they wouldnt... The WTA tour is not going to do anything that would potentially hurt their ratings/sales, especially during a time when there are few blockbuster names left. They need all the big time names they can get. I honestly like Serena, I really do. Ive just read a few articles that got me thinking that there might be something to my theory..

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:02 PM
And I didnt realize having an analytical mindset was a bad thing? Its always good to see all the potential causes of something to make the best, most informed decision. Its called being smart??

You are trying to claim that Serena was on steroids or other performance enhancing drugs. You are blinded by your own personal beliefs about Serena and fail to accept the most reasonable explanation.

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM

First of all, let's stop with this "possibly, maybe, some players have done it," beating around the bush. You're alleging that she's using steroids, off of no evidence, facts, other than that she had a pulmonary embolism. The FACT of that matter is that before she injured her foot she was playing professionally, just coming off of a strenuous fortnight of competition at the highest level to boot. Cue her being completely inactive due to a cut open foot and unable to play, train or even do light running. If you do your research rather than using heavy bias and unfounded theories you would know that one really needs to look no further.

And re: The loss of power, Olorin already answered that. Her lack of bite on the groundstrokes has nothing to do with lack of power/deterioration of muscle, but rather the fact that she was still nervous and unwilling to go for her shots, hence the numerous low pace mid-court balls she threw in during the grass season. That was all tentativeness.

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Trust me they wouldnt... The WTA tour is not going to do anything that would potentially hurt their ratings/sales, especially during a time when there are few blockbuster names left. They need all the big time names they can get. I honestly like Serena, I really do. Ive just read a few articles that got me thinking that there might be something to my theory..

Your theory is entirely circumstantial and weak.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I dont expect anyone to agree with me, and Im not even saying 100 percent that it IS the cause... but does a cut on your foot require 6 months to heal?? In a cast? It all seems rather fishy to me...and Ive believed that WAY before she actually got the embolism. Serena and her sisters' body types dont even resemble each others... Venus has a slim elegant body, where as serena has one more akin to a running back. And she didnt always look that way... look at her from the late 90s.... she looked alot more like her sister physically at that time.

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:10 PM

You lost any moral highground by taking a pop at someone because of their depression. :tape:

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:12 PM
You lost any moral highground by taking a pop at someone because of their depression. :tape:

What was disparaging in that post?:confused:

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Just ask yourself this..... would you of ever guessed that Agassi did Meth before the book came out? I sure as hell didnt expect it......

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:13 PM
I dont expect anyone to agree with me, and Im not even saying 100 percent that it IS the cause... but does a cut on your foot require 6 months to heal?? In a cast? It all seems rather fishy to me...and Ive believed that WAY before she actually got the embolism. Serena and her sisters' body types dont even resemble each others... Venus has a slim elegant body, where as serena has one more akin to a running back. And she didnt always look that way... look at her from the late 90s.... she looked alot more like her sister physically at that time.

She re-injured her foot in late 2010 and had complications with surgery. Serena's body has always been more stocky/muscular than Venus's.

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Just ask yourself this..... would you of ever guessed that Agassi did Meth before the book came out? I sure as hell didnt expect it......

Agassi and Serena are two different people. They don't behave in the same ways.:rolleyes:

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Agassi and Serena are two different people. They don't behave in the same ways.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I know... but the point is that no one had a freakin clue... it proves that things can be very easily covered over if you are famous enough. Thats all im saying. I expect all the serena fans to hate me for saying it... but honestly no one else looks like her physically.. except maybe stosur, which I am suspicious of as well.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:18 PM
She re-injured her foot in late 2010 and had complications with surgery. Serena's body has always been more stocky/muscular than Venus's.

This is true, but their bodies have progressively diverged as their careers went forward. They looked much more similar to one another in 99 vrs, say 2010.

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:18 PM

A) It was not a "cut in her foot" it was a lacerated tendon if I'm not mistaken, which was reinjured when she began practice for a US Open lead-up prematurely.

B) Serena was always shorter wider and more muscular than Venus. And a lot of her perceived "bulk" is actually bodyfat that she put on after 04 when depression and inactivity caught up with her, that she never quite trimmed off actually. She's been fitter since then, but will probably never be as slim as she was in 02. And anyway, that has nothing to do with Venus. Do you have the same body type as your siblings, if you have any? I know I sure don't.

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I know... but the point is that no one had a freakin clue... it proves that things can be very easily covered over if you are famous enough. Thats all im saying. I expect all the serena fans to hate me for saying it... but honestly no one else looks like her physically.. except maybe stosur, which I am suspicious of as well.

And I'm sorry but if you're looking at female professional athletes who have muscle and concluding that they must be on juice, rather than the fact that they are athletically gifted, and train and exercise regularly, since, you know, it's their job, you're beyond reasoning with honestly.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:25 PM
And I'm sorry but if you're looking at female professional athletes who have muscle and concluding that they must be on juice, rather than the fact that they are athletically gifted, and train and exercise regularly, since, you know, it's their job, you're beyond reasoning with honestly.

Honestly, do you think that Serena goes to the gym and lifts weights like Nav did in the early 80s? This is SERENA we are talking about, the player who is disinterested in everything but the Slams. Something tells me she doesnt like to workout/lift weights. Like many tennis players she more than likely doesnt want to put that time in required. Its not like she is rocky.... She has never been known for her insane levels of dedication.

Training and exercising is one thing... it will make the person CUT and toned... not build muscle mass. You would have to actually lift weights/do resistence training to obtain any sort of substantial increase in muscle mass.

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:28 PM
What was disparaging in that post?:confused:

In the context of the post, it was clear he intended it to be an insult to JCTennisFan. If it wasn't intended to be an insult, then why even bring it up in a post which had a generally hostile tone?

I highly doubt Serena has ever been on steroids (tennis players are subject to the most stringent anti-doping checks in history, for one thing, which didn't apply in Agassi's day).. but I have to say I find it quite telling that the likes of Olorin is never anywhere to be seen when Henin is accused of being on steroids - indeed, they often are the ones who do the accusing. Shows they only care about their queen being insulted than any genuine principle of innocent until proven guilty, I guess. :tape:

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Honestly, do you think that Serena goes to the gym and lifts weights like Nav did in the early 80s? This is SERENA we are talking about, the player who is disinterested in everything but the Slams. Something tells me she doesnt like to workout/lift weights. Like many tennis players she more than likely doesnt want to put that time in required. Its not like she is rocky.... She has never been known for her insane levels of dedication.

Serena does have to workout. She doesn't have the body type where she can stay inactive and keep off fat. Serena isn't as muscular as everyone makes her out to be. Her body fat percentage is higher than when she was in her early 20's. That's why she looks bigger/muscular.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Serena does have to workout. She doesn't have the body type where she can stay inactive and keep off fat. Serena isn't as muscular as everyone makes her out to be. Her body fat percentage is higher than when she was in her early 20's. That's why she looks bigger/muscular.

I just cant agree with you on that. I no doubt would say that she does indeed do alot of cardio/endurance based training. But I highly doubt she lifts weights, I can just hear her saying "lift weights? Like I have time for that, Im serena williams, I have waaay to many other things Id like to do, like acting, or modeling, or clothing design."

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I just cant agree with you on that. I no doubt would say that she does indeed do alot of cardio/endurance based training. But I highly doubt she lifts weights, I can just hear her saying "lift weights? Like I have time for that, Im serena williams, I have waaay to many other things Id like to do, like acting, or modeling, or clothing design."

Serena could do all of those and still lift weights.

Is there a drug that increases muscle mass without the user having to lift any weights?:confused:

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:35 PM
In the context of the post, it was clear he intended it to be an insult to JCTennisFan. If it wasn't intended to be an insult, then why even bring it up in a post which had a generally hostile tone?

I highly doubt Serena has ever been on steroids (tennis players are subject to the most stringent anti-doping checks in history, for one thing, which didn't apply in Agassi's day).. but I have to say I find it quite telling that the likes of Olorin is never anywhere to be seen when Henin is accused of being on steroids - indeed, they often are the ones who do the accusing. Shows they only care about their queen being insulted than any genuine principle of innocent until proven guilty, I guess. :tape:

On the surface this appears to be true... because they definitely make it look like they crack down on it big time. But last year they stopped even trying to regulate asthma inhalers, which are a known way of getting essentially a "pick me up" when tired. ALOT of players supposedly have "asthma" yet the true rate of asthma is very low, and even lower with professional athletes. If you had asthma you couldnt perform at the highest levels... your lungs would close up and you'd pass out/faint. And sadly, as much as I like Venus, they have a picture of her from this years AUS Open going up the stairs to the bathroom with an inhaler in her hand....

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Serena could do all of those and still lift weights.

Is there a drug that increases muscle mass without the user having to lift any weights?:confused:

A top tennis person, cant remember his name, was quoted as saying that it would be very easy to get juiced up while training, then stop soon before you enter a tournament. This way you would still have the benefits of the increased muscle mass, because it wont vanish in a few days, but still test clean. And hgh and steroids will both increase muscle mass, regardless of whether you lift weights or not. Obviously your muscle mass will increase much more dramatically if you were to lift weights, but it isnt required to still get a benefit from said substances.

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:40 PM
On the surface this appears to be true... because they definitely make it look like they crack down on it big time. But last year they stopped even trying to regulate asthma inhalers, which are a known way of getting essentially a "pick me up" when tired. ALOT of players supposedly have "asthma" yet the true rate of asthma is very low, and even lower with professional athletes. If you had asthma you couldnt perform at the highest levels... your lungs would close up and you'd pass out/faint. And sadly, as much as I like Venus, they have a picture of her from this years AUS Open going up the stairs to the bathroom with an inhaler in her hand....

It's well known that Venus is anemic. Anemia is known to cause shortness of breath.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:44 PM
It's well known that Venus is anemic. Anemia is known to cause shortness of breath.

Anemia would make you lethargic, make you listless, Im not so sure about the out of breath part. She must only be very mildly anemic, because I just cant see how a person could play day in day out and not completely run out of energy.

marineblue
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:26 PM

Eek! :scared:

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Eek! :scared:

IIRC that is what Aneres was correct? :D

RenaSlam.
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:33 PM
She could.

Graftard
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Only 18-20? I think she'll win at least 30.

Sammo
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I could too :shrug:

spencercarlos
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:52 AM

Bad and coward thread.

Had you say that she WILL win 18-20 slams would have been more brave.

That being said, Serena winning 6-7 slams between 2012 and 2014, means that she should win something similar to 2-2-2-1 slams in those years. Will we see Serena winning 3 slams a year like 2002? Improbable.

Tecnically wise very well capable, but the Physical part? Fitness part?
Serena being 30+ years old at the time will be more looking to have a family, raise kids, i guess.

Lets look at Serena slam count since 2007.
1 slam 2007
1 slam 2008
2 slams 2009
2 slam 2010

So in Serena's recent 4 year period of grand slam success does not match what you are asking her to do in 2012-2014.

Its very improbable that Serena will end up with 18-20 grand slams, at least at this point, i will take a lot of commitment and effort to do this. But if anyone is capable, that is Serena.

I would not have oponened a thread like this, especially since this is far from being acomplished just yet. :help:

Novichok
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Bad and coward thread.

Had you say that she WILL win 18-20 slams would have been more brave.

That being said, Serena winning 6-7 slams between 2012 and 2014, means that she should win something similar to 2-2-2-1 slams in those years. Will we see Serena winning 3 slams a year like 2002? Improbable.

Tecnically wise very well capable, but the Physical part? Fitness part?
Serena being 30+ years old at the time will be more looking to have a family, raise kids, i guess.

Lets look at Serena slam count since 2007.
1 slam 2007
1 slam 2008
2 slams 2009
1 slam 2010

So in Serena's recent 4 year period of grand slam success does not match what you are asking her to do in 2012-2014.

Its very improbable that Serena will end up with 18-20 grand slams, at least at this point, i will take a lot of commitment and effort to do this. But if anyone is capable, that is Serena.

I would not have oponened a thread like this, especially since this is far from being acomplished just yet. :help:

Serena won 2 slams last year.

spencercarlos
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Serena won 2 slams last year.
Corrected thank you.
The main point still remains, Serena is still short from the 2-2-2-1 combination from the past 4 year grand slam winning period....

Is she bound to even emulate what she did 2007-2010? hmm

danieln1
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:19 AM
She could get very close to Graf.

!VamosRafa!
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:33 AM

She does everything the American does in better, faster, more brilliant... and most importantly humbly. There's also Victoria who has always been a danger for Rena in AO... there's also her age ; 30 years old, how do you win 7 more majors when you can't run or lift a racket correctly anymore !? I'm very confident that the American might not lift a major trophy more less major trophies anytime soon.

WTF?:help:

VeeJJ
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:33 AM

:facepalm:

Look who just got a clue.

Stamp Paid
Jul 14th, 2011, 06:15 AM
ROTFL so says the one who thinks Capriati could return to the tour at 35 and do very well. :lol: Lets see now, which is more likely:

-the worst 3 slam winner in history who won only 14 tournaments in her prime coming back after shoulder surgeries and a long retirement and being on top at 35.

-a legend and by far the best player of her generation winning more slams while aged 29-32

Hmm tough choice everyone. :tape:OK! :lol::rolls:

edificio
Jul 14th, 2011, 06:58 AM
This seems weird coming from a Justine Henin fan who has the stage name of justineheninfan.

I'm not really seeing such a huge number of slams for SW, but I wouldn't mind if Serena surprised me.

Yoncé
Jul 14th, 2011, 07:27 AM

I really hope you are being sarcastic. I mean I love Petra but Serena has a better serve, better backhand, better net game, better movement and the best mental strength.

And Wozniacki a threat? Yes because Serena with all her power totaly wont be able to do anything when Caroline pushes her shots short. :rolleyes:

And the 'weak' dismal fields of 2002-2003 of Venus, Henin and Kim. God even Valerie Tetrault would have been been able to claim her own little "Serena Slam" during those days of weak players at the top!

LUVMIRZA
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:10 AM
OP change ur stage name to Serenafan or something crazy.... cant believe or digest that u r a Justine fan:mad::facepalm:

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:06 PM
thanks for your opinion :) 18 is totally in reach. go serena!

Novichok
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:07 PM
OP change ur stage name to Serenafan or something crazy.... cant believe or digest that u r a Justine fan:mad::facepalm:

Just because he's a Justine fan doesn't mean he has to hate Serena.

laurie
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:20 PM

I think it will be difficult for Serena to get to 18 but not impossible.

I think it's difficult because Serena hasn't won the US Open since 2008 and the French Open since 2002. She relies on the Australian Open and Wimbledon a lot the last two to three years. Now at Wimbledon there are new threats next year and as the Aussie Open is at the start of the year, it's always a chance for someone who comes out of the blocks quick.

Ideally Serena needs to start winning the US Open again, Clijsters has been too good there so far, her favourite surface.

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jul 14th, 2011, 09:36 PM
Lol @ someone saying this post is "hater baiting". Um, the OP simply said he/she believes SW could win more slams. Thats an objective opinion, no hater baiting. You need to relax. This IS a tennis forum.

I dont think she will just because like the OP said, "given good health" Im afraid Serena is always injured or "something". I also dont think she can dominate like she did in the mid 2000's. You have to factor in the players competitors. I think the other top players can handle her power better now than they did even just 5 years ago.

Serenaluv
Jul 15th, 2011, 01:11 AM
You people keep calling 30's. Serena is almost 30 - the likelihood that she will become so unfit is unlikely. Next, Serena can beat players at slams just because she wants to. In the next 5 years I don't really see anything or anyone stopping her if she's not injured and playing a slam. As long as she loves tennis, and keeps playing, she'll keep taking slams and 6 slams isn't really a big deal, if she's healthy she can win 3 a year.

Serenaluv
Jul 15th, 2011, 01:16 AM

If you have the slightest clue what you are talking about, you'd know that most of her volume is muscles and flesh, not fat.

She has cellulite and a big ass, but other than that, there's not a gram of fat on her arms, legs, stomach.

Novichok
Jul 15th, 2011, 01:21 AM
If you have the slightest clue what you are talking about, you'd know that most of her volume is muscles and flesh, not fat.

She has cellulite and a big ass, but other than that, there's not a gram of fat on her arms, legs, stomach.

Imfuckingpossible. Do you seriously believe that Serena's body fat percentage isn't higher than when she was in her early twenties? If so, get your damn eyes checked!:wavey:

Vikapower
Jul 15th, 2011, 02:20 AM
I really hope you are being sarcastic. I mean I love Petra but Serena has a better serve, better backhand, better net game, better movement and the best mental strength.

The only thing Serena does best than any other opponents is serve well, very well to be honest... but I'm sorry the rest of her game just doesn't stand for all the praises she gets as greatest talent the game has ever seen. From their last confrontation, Rena was mastered in every department of the game and was lucky enough to scrape the win... very lucky as usual.

And Wozniacki a threat? Yes because Serena with all her power totaly wont be able to do anything when Caroline pushes her shots short. :rolleyes:

Have you been just introduced to tennis !? :lol: If you think power is something that scares Woz's game then you're totally wrong. Rena's one traffic bashing game has very little to hurt Caro on the contrary it would help the dane very much that Rena comes to blow her off the court than to construct points.

Rena's game has very little to no variety and as far as I can recall when she attempted somethings similar to variances in both RG 2007 vs. Justine and US open 2009 vs. Kimmie she got beat fair and square. :lol: Peak Caro has very little to fear vs. any version of Rena - there's really an ocean between both talents and in favor of the Dane's consistency and on-court intelligence.

It's unfortunate we had to wait 9 years before a player like Caro, in 2002-2003 she would have really prevented this unnecessary theatrical Rena slam which obviously has never been and will never ever be real.

And the 'weak' dismal fields of 2002-2003 of Venus, Henin and Kim. God even Valerie Tetrault would have been been able to claim her own little "Serena Slam" during those days of weak players at the top!

False. In 2002 and early-2003, Justine and Kimmie weren't yet relevant. Lindsay was having all sorts of problems with her body (...) Venus was certainly the only competition that basically existed and she had no intentions to do anything - Just watch RG 2002, Venus missing all sorts of shots that my 5 year old cousin could hit his hands tied, tell me how do you miss a high FH volley being 10-15cms away from the net and basically to offer a whole set !? :rolleyes:

All Rena's main rivals were having a complications and weirdly though since then Serena has never ever been close to holding 3 of the 4 majors anytime after - so much to tell.

Venus was 8-1 sets won/lost in GS finals between 2000 and 2001 suddenly, she could only win 1 set in 4 major finals between 2002 and 2003. You really want me to believe there was a competition. :rolleyes:

Novichok
Jul 15th, 2011, 02:28 AM
The only thing Serena does best than any other opponents is serve well, very well to be honest... but I'm sorry the rest of her game just doesn't stand for all the praises she gets as greatest talent the game has ever seen. From their last confrontation, Rena was mastered in every department of the game and was lucky enough to scrape the win... very lucky as usual.

Have you been just introduced to tennis !? :lol: If you think power is something that scares Woz's game then you're totally wrong. Rena's one traffic bashing game has very little to hurt Caro on the contrary it would help the dane very much that Rena comes to blow her off the court than to construct points.

Rena's game has very little to no variety and as far as I can recall when she attempted somethings similar to variances in both RG 2007 vs. Justine and US open 2009 vs. Kimmie she got beat fair and square. :lol: Peak Caro has very little to fear vs. any version of Rena - there's really an ocean between both talents and in favor of the Dane's consistency and on-court intelligence.

It's unfortunate we had to wait 9 years before a player like Caro, in 2002-2003 she would have really prevented this unnecessary theatrical Rena slam which obviously has never been and will never ever be real.

False. In 2002 and early-2003, Justine and Kimmie weren't yet relevant. Lindsay was having all sorts of problems with her body (...) Venus was certainly the only competition that basically existed and she had no intentions to do anything - Just watch RG 2002, Venus missing all sorts of shots that my 5 year old cousin could hit his hands tied, tell me how do you miss a high FH volley being 10-15cms away from the net and basically to offer a whole set !? :rolleyes:

All Rena's main rivals were having a complications and weirdly though since then Serena has never ever been close to holding 3 of the 4 majors anytime after - so much to tell.

Venus was 8-1 sets won/lost in GS finals between 2000 and 2001 suddenly, she could only win 1 set in 4 major finals between 2002 and 2003. You really want me to believe there was a competition. :rolleyes:

Good analysis. You're a very smart(...) thing.

Stamp Paid
Jul 15th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Insanity :lol:

LoveFifteen
Jul 15th, 2011, 05:09 AM

When I first read this hilarious post, I thought it was a brilliant example of bombast and sarcasm, but now I see that you're dead serious. :hysteric:

Child, you need Jesus!!! :rolls:

Roookie
Jul 15th, 2011, 05:25 AM
She is not winning the French again and I can't see her winning USO either but she still has 2 AOs 1 Wimbly left IMO.

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 15th, 2011, 05:35 AM
I'm surprised people keep responding to that poster after all this time.

bandabou
Jul 15th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Two injuries derailed any chance for that to happen. ' 03 knee injury and now this foot injury of last year. Not happening anymore. She can end up with 14 or 15 majors..but 20?! :spit: Tadddd ambitious I think.

justineheninfan
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Two injuries derailed any chance for that to happen. ' 03 knee injury and now this foot injury of last year. Not happening anymore. She can end up with 14 or 15 majors..but 20?! :spit: Tadddd ambitious I think.

It depends how much of a recovery the WTA makes. With how it currently is I dont see how winning 5-7 of the next 13 slams (roughly half) is far fetched at all. I dont see any real competition for her besides Kvitova. Maria could be too if she actually fixes her serve again (a big if). Mama Kim seems bored and ready to retire again. Venus is probably pretty much done. The fact people still talk about even the possability of a washed up Kuznetsova winning another slam says it all.

AcesHigh
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:23 PM
It depends how much of a recovery the WTA makes. With how it currently is I dont see how winning 5-7 of the next 13 slams (roughly half) is far fetched at all. I dont see any real competition for her besides Kvitova. Maria could be too if she actually fixes her serve again (a big if). Mama Kim seems bored and ready to retire again. Venus is probably pretty much done. The fact people still talk about even the possability of a washed up Kuznetsova winning another slam says it all.

First, Kuznetsova is not washed up. Her problems are mental and she has showed that she can come back from irrelevancy to win a slam again.

What you don't seem to understand is how physically draining the tour is and how difficult it is to go through 7 matches in a slam.

Serena's competition isn't the field. Her competition is her health and her age and to say 18-20 slams after recent events is quite silly. Is it possible? Anything is possible. Is it probable? No.

bandabou
Jul 15th, 2011, 12:31 PM

Serena could probably win Wimbledon and/or Oz open for at least two more majors...but to reach 20 she needs to win another major here or there..and that has been a problem for her pretty much since ' 03. We'll see, but Serena herself isn't that young anymore.

Olórin
Jul 15th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Serena's competition isn't the field. Her competition is her health and her age

Exactly. This is why even her more ardent fans are taking it one step at a time. Although we all hope she can add a couple of more slams to her tally before her long and illustrious career is ended. Such a career seems fitting to be ended on a high a la Graf, Navratilova, Court.

doomsday
Sep 11th, 2011, 06:46 AM
OK Now I believe you.:)

CaroFanForever
Sep 11th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Don't think so. She is getting old and much slower nowadays.

tennisbum79
Sep 11th, 2011, 06:59 AM
It is still tough to do it.
If she win this USO, she'll at 14, 6 more left.
That is 2 years, and to do it in 2 years, she would have to win 3 GS a year, I don't think she can win RG now.

spencercarlos
Sep 11th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Yes but competition is worse as the days go by. Serena has too much quality for this fake top players. Next.

Bonfire
Sep 11th, 2011, 07:07 AM
It would be a tall order even if she wins #14 tomorrow (age/injuries??)
but it sure is looking a hell of alot more likely than it was a few months ago when she was in the hospital bed ridden.
Actually, it seems more likely now than it even did before she got injured:eek:
Ridiculously amazing that she has come back this strong!
It's possible:yeah:

doomsday
Sep 11th, 2011, 07:09 AM
It is still tough to do it.
If she win this USO, she'll at 14, 6 more left.
That is 2 years, and to do it in 2 years, she would have to win 3 GS a year, I don't think she can win RG now.

Of course it's tough but Serena is always here for challenges and he said 18 to 20. So 18 is very likely if she keep it up.

jrollaneres25
Sep 11th, 2011, 07:36 AM

Anemia would make you lethargic, make you listless, Im not so sure about the out of breath part. She must only be very mildly anemic, because I just cant see how a person could play day in day out and not completely run out of energy.

Well we know now what it is:sad:

tennisphilia
Sep 11th, 2011, 07:37 AM
She has the talent, experience, desire. Will her body hold up?

jrollaneres25
Sep 11th, 2011, 07:40 AM
She is not winning the French again and I can't see her winning USO either but she still has 2 AOs 1 Wimbly left IMO.

Rookie, you are clearly that:help:

justineheninfan
Sep 11th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Surprise, surprise, this thread doesnt look silly to anyone now (well not anyone with a brain anyway).

Kunal
Sep 11th, 2011, 08:52 AM
i think this post-injury serena is different in the sense she realizes that the opportunities she has in the next few years are simply too precious to be taken lightly. This i think is going to be the crucial factor which is going to propel her into the 18+ grand slam titles region.

the one i really really want serena to win is the french open. she has the game for it. now go get it!

acetoace
Sep 11th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Barring injury, should she win 2011 USO and make 14, it is highly likely she would hit 18 by end of 2013 which is my benchmark for her. To reach 18 would be awesome despite all the travails she's been through in her career. That alone would solidify her status in the GOAT discussion. Is more than 18 possible? Time will tell.

That said, I would like to see her increase overall title count to 50 before she retires.

eck
Sep 11th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I don't think she'll win 18, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if she did.

If she's healthy, hungry and motivated, no-one can stop her. The only reason why she hasn't won more GS is because of tougher competition in 2000-2010, and of course injury. So far this year, no one seems capable of taking it to a whole new level except for Serena. And I don't think this will change in the next few years.

Mistress of Evil
Sep 11th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Call me mad, but I actually believe that Rena can totally claim the Career Golden Slam, next year. :lol:
She is hungrier for wins, title and success than ever and there is practically no competition.

LikeAG6
Sep 11th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I hope Serena really does end her career with 18 slams. That would be pretty. I hope her determination and hunger for success keeps her training on even though age is going against her.

But let's go for No.14 first tomorrow.

Chip.
Sep 11th, 2011, 10:09 AM

Says alot about Caro that 'old and slow' can beat her 2 and 4 :lol:

justineheninfan
Sep 11th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Call me mad, but I actually believe that Rena can totally claim the Career Golden Slam, next year. :lol:
She is hungrier for wins, title and success than ever and there is practically no competition.

LOL the way things are going now maybe the Calendar Golden Slam next year.

Helen Lawson
Sep 11th, 2011, 07:33 PM
She has to stay uninjured for 2-3 more years, that's going be be tough. Her mentality is different though after this last injury. But even assuming a win today, 14 is not 18-20.

sweetpeas
Sep 11th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Who knows! Can I win Mega?

Mina Vagante
Sep 11th, 2011, 07:50 PM

'She'll be lucky to win another one' :spit:

jj74
Sep 11th, 2011, 08:13 PM
16 maybe but 20 it's a bit too much.
It's true that she is way better than competition right now, but things change quickly, Nadal seemed to be destined to dominate and suddenly Nole stepped up.
I think she can win some more GS, but 6 more it's a bit too much

2Black
Sep 11th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Can she win 14 first!

tennisbum79
Sep 11th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Can she win 14 first!

Yes, she can!

serenaforever
Sep 11th, 2011, 09:31 PM

:happy:

Oh, these were the good old days, weren't they, Vikapower? Before you knew what Vika's USO draw would be. :happy: You were still confident enough then to spew this kind of bullshit. :lol:

tennisbum79
Sep 11th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Vikapower

Have you been just introduced to tennis !? If you think power is something that scares Woz's game then you're totally wrong. Rena's one traffic bashing game has very little to hurt Caro on the contrary it would help the dane very much that Rena comes to blow her off the court than to construct points.

Rena's game has very little to no variety and as far as I can recall when she attempted somethings similar to variances in both RG 2007 vs. Justine and US open 2009 vs. Kimmie she got beat fair and square. Peak Caro has very little to fear vs. any version of Rena - there's really an ocean between both talents and in favor of the Dane's consistency and on-court intelligence.

:happy:

Oh, these were the good old days, weren't they, Vikapower? Before you knew what Vika's USO draw would be. :happy: You were still confident enough then to spew this kind of bullshit. :lol:

Good find, let's see how Vikapower reconcile this post with her more recent posts, taking giant steps from the post above and Caro.

CanIGetAWhat
Sep 7th, 2014, 11:13 PM
She could have. Need to be fit to play to win any.
She will not reach that tally anymore.

I'd say 3 more Slams. The Australian Open will always be her best chance because it suits her playing style these days to a tee, and she also has an advantage in that she's confident/experienced enough to bring her best within a few weeks after the offseason, whereas most players need a few tournaments to get properly warmed up. She might sneak in another Wimbledon if she serves her best. RG's definitely not happening, and I'd be surprised if she got another US Open - it just doesn't suit her game that much.

So I'd say 16 Slams overall. Great, obviously, but certainly not enough to put her anywhere near the GOAT discussion - all the real GOAT contenders were either first or second of their generation on ALL surfaces, whereas Serena is arguably not even top 5 on clay in her generation.

Crazy

She will be 30 years old in less than 3 months.

lol, this thread kinda proves to me that justineheninfan is a bit delusional. She has 13.... she'd have to win another 5-7, in other words she'd have to win ALL the slams Justine did in her entire career.... and serena is what, 29? I VERY highly doubt it. She has maybe 2 left in her...... no way does she have 7 left in her. Im willing to eat my words, but something tells me I wont have to :tape: .

Serena is a Big Server with a reasonably good ground game now. She still serves better than anyone in the game, but her groundstrokes are something to be desired. Most of the venom has been lost in her ground game. She no longer can easily hit her opponents out of points in 1-2 strokes... unless she backs things up with an awesome Serve, in which case she can just hit to the open court off the return. She admittedly has gotten a bit better at staying in the points longer without erroring.... but thats not her nature. And it wont consistently pay off for her in the future, I can almost guarantee that.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/0a6bf1b1f86141d8ed813c4b0d68a7e6/tumblr_n31zv9zokU1qbys3io1_250.gif

Bad Blood
Sep 7th, 2014, 11:37 PM

but where are you now?

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Sep 7th, 2014, 11:39 PM
These bumps give me life lol! I love reading these threads (which I have avoided, but wait for days like these to read them).

starin
Sep 7th, 2014, 11:39 PM
http://37.media.tumblr.com/0a6bf1b1f86141d8ed813c4b0d68a7e6/tumblr_n31zv9zokU1qbys3io1_250.gif

:hysteric: I'm loving all these bumps

tennisphilia
Sep 7th, 2014, 11:41 PM

Hahahaha. Rookie and her tennis (non) expertise.

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 7th, 2014, 11:43 PM

1st page :drool: I love it

blackandblue
Sep 7th, 2014, 11:46 PM

Has a serious well thought out post ever been more wrong? Good lord.

Représailles
Sep 7th, 2014, 11:50 PM

OOps!

Smitten
Sep 7th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Has a serious well thought out post ever been more wrong? Good lord.

IKR, when Serena is still the 2nd most accomplished player on clay of her generation. :lol:

TheDream
Sep 7th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Epic bump. Dslanders. :tape:

hablo
Sep 7th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Love these bumps. Entertaining to read the haters' posts and see them be so dead wrong!!! :haha:

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2014, 11:57 PM
:lol: My, my, my...