PDA

View Full Version : Which Grand Slam has the most dramatic matches???

!VamosRafa!
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:36 AM
IMO the AO;)

backslapu
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:57 AM
US Open....only in New York has somebody's life been in danger...hahaha

Henpova
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:19 AM
RG...the clay makes for long rally and wild matches....but Wimb can be great to...because momentum shift can happen in a blink of an eye...

Pops Maellard
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Ao. :)

goldenlox
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Definately French Open. Just look at Stosur-Serena, Dinara-Maria, Sveta-Serena, Dinara-Lena, Jelena-Ana
Matches are wild, you dont know which way they're going
Very few expected Li& Stosur to play so well the last 2 years.

danieln1
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:34 AM
Australian Open by far:

Seles/Rubin and Rubin/Sanchez vicario in 96
Serena/Hingis in 01
Capriati/Hingis, Seles/Venus in 02
Davenport/Henin in 03
Davenport/Molik, Davenport/Dechy, Serena/Maria in 05
Serena/Petrova, Serena/Peer, Hingis/Clijsters, Sharapova/Pin in 07
Ivanovic/Hantuchova, Jankovic/Paszek in 08
Serena/Sveta, Ivanovic/Kleybanova, Dokic/Kleybanova in 09
Serena/Azarenka, Venus/Li(even though it was a shitfest), Serena/Henin in 10
Sveta/Schiavone, Li/Wozniacki in 11

And a lot of others matches, it's the most dramatic slam!!

I'm a really WTA fanatic, I knew all this matches in my memory :lol:

backslapu
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:00 AM
US Open

2000: Venus-Hingis SF
2004: Serena-Capriati QF
2008: Serena-Venus QF
2009: Serena-Clijsters SF , Safina-Kvitova , Oudin-Sharapova/Dementieva/Petrova , Ivanovic-Bondarenko

so many more but im too lazy

In The Zone
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:09 AM
I've always thought OZ because the players are so rusty that it ends up creating tighter matches between players that otherwise wouldn't have played a close match.

Brad[le]y.
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Australian Open by far:

Seles/Rubin and Rubin/Sanchez vicario in 96
Serena/Hingis in 01
Capriati/Hingis, Seles/Venus in 02
Davenport/Henin in 03
Davenport/Molik, Davenport/Dechy, Serena/Maria in 05
Serena/Petrova, Serena/Peer, Hingis/Clijsters, Sharapova/Pin in 07
Ivanovic/Hantuchova, Jankovic/Paszek in 08
Serena/Sveta, Ivanovic/Kleybanova, Dokic/Kleybanova in 09
Serena/Azarenka, Venus/Li(even though it was a shitfest), Serena/Henin in 10
Sveta/Schiavone, Li/Wozniacki in 11

And a lot of others matches, it's the most dramatic slam!!

I'm a really WTA fanatic, I knew all this matches in my memory :lol:

I agree with this,

but I crossed one out because that one never happened, it was a myth :crying2:

young_gunner913
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Aussie Open

Mattographer
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I've always thought OZ because the players are so rusty that it ends up creating tighter matches between players that otherwise wouldn't have played a close match.
This.

bobito
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:49 AM
In recent years, the Aussie Open seems to have produced more than its fair share of thrilling women's matches. No doubt players being refreshed from the off-season is a factor. One truly outstanding match that hasn't been mentioned yet was Carla Suarez Navarro coming from 2-5 in the 3rd to beat Venus Williams.

Maria rocks
Jul 13th, 2011, 07:21 AM
US OPEN for me. Already excited for more in 8 weeks time:)

Navratil
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:07 AM
1. Australian Open
2. French Open
3. Wimbledon (because of the short ralleys on fast surfaces)
4. US Open (because of the final set tie break)

Just Do It
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:09 AM
1. Ao
2. Uso
3. Rg
4. W

18majors
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:50 AM
US Open.

Olórin
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:18 AM
RG...the clay makes for long rally and wild matches....but Wimb can be great to...because momentum shift can happen in a blink of an eye...

:happy:

Over the past 10 years, definitely the AO on the women's side without a shadow of a doubt.

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:19 AM
US Open

2000: Venus-Hingis SF
2004: Serena-Capriati QF
2008: Serena-Venus QF
2009: Serena-Clijsters SF , Safina-Kvitova , Oudin-Sharapova/Dementieva/Petrova , Ivanovic-Bondarenko

so many more but im too lazy

Bolded for the GOAT women's match :bowdown:

Also 2003: Henin def. Capriati 4-6 7-5 7-6, 2007: Venus def. Jankovic 4-6 6-1 7-6, Henin def. Venus 7-6 6-4, 2008: Serena def. Jankovic 6-4 7-5 were all fantastic matches.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Australian Open for me. Over the years there have been so many awesome matches (For various reasons like Quality, comebacks, drama, dominance etc.)

Just off the top of my head -

2001 -
Hingis def Serena (Amazing match, great comeback, Hingis played so well)
Seles def Henin (one of their best matches for sure)
Capriati def. Seles (Capriati called it the best match ever played)

2002 -
Capriati def Hingis
Seles def. Venus (Seles finally beating venus, great match too)
Hingis def. Seles

2003 -
Henin def. Lindsay
Serena def. Kim (Amazing comeback from Serena)
Serena def. Venus (One of their best quality matches, awesome drama)

Serena def. Maria (Amazing drama)
Lindsay def. Dechy

Serena def. Peer (Drama and quality)
Serena def. Petrova (Drama)
Serena def. Maria (One of the best performances by a female tennis player. The fact that it came in a GS Final against a quality rival makes it extra special)

Serena def. Svetlana

Serena def. Henin (Final between the 2 best players of this generation,a great match especially after a draught of decent GS finals)
Henin def. Dementieva (really high quality)
Henin def. Wickmayer (one of the best matches of the year)
Serena def. Na (high quality from both)
Serena def. Azarenka (Amazing comeback and good quality)

2011-
Franny def. Kuznetsova (It had everything)

There have been many other matches between the lower tier players over the years which had either drama or quality (Like Ivanovic/Kleybanova/Molik/Jankovic/Paszek/Hantuchova/Strycova/Kulikova/Dokic etc.), but these days there is a draught of such matches between the top players who have an active rivalry which makes it much more interesting.

Serena_Williams_
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Australian Open for me. Over the years there have been so many awesome matches (For various reasons like Quality, comebacks, drama, dominance etc.)

2001 -

2002 -
Capriati def Hingis
Hingis def. Seles

2003 -
Serena def. Kim (Amazing comeback frrom Serena)

Lindsay def. Dechy

Serena def. Maria (One of the best performances by a female tennis player. The fact that it came in a GS Final against a quality rival makes it extra special)

Serena def. Svetlana

Serena def. Henin (a match between the 2 best players of this generation,a great match especially after a draught of decent GS finals)

2011-

There have been many other matches between the lower ranked players over the years which had drama and quality, but these days there is a draught of such matches between the top players who have an active rivalry which makes it much more interesting.

Agree :kiss:

Pump-it-UP
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:03 PM

2001 -

2002 -
Capriati def Hingis
Hingis def. Seles

2003 -
Serena def. Kim (Amazing comeback frrom Serena)

Lindsay def. Dechy

Serena def. Svetlana

Serena def. Henin (a match between the 2 best players of this generation,a great match especially after a draught of decent GS finals)

2011-
+1 to this entire post. Even in the 1R we almost always get some good (dramatic) matches.. Serena/Loit, Maria/Pin, Venus/Pironkova, JJ/Paszek, etc. Plus other matches like Venus/Li (:o), Venus/CSN, Venus/Zahlavova, Dokic/Kleybanova. None of the other slams even come close.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:09 PM
+1 to this entire post. Even in the 1R we almost always get some good (dramatic) matches.. Serena/Loit, Maria/Pin, Venus/Pironkova, JJ/Paszek, etc. Plus other matches like Venus/Li (:o), Venus/CSN, Venus/Zahlavova, Dokic/Kleybanova. None of the other slams even come close.

I think the fact that it is a very neutral surface (not too fast, not to slow, comfortable bounce which is not to high or low) so it suits most players. Its also the favourite surface for players like Serena/Hingis/Seles/Capriati/Maria so it made for such intense match-ups and quality. Not to mention most of the players are fresh and mostly uninjured after the off-season.

Linguae^
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:13 PM
AO is the best in every single way. ^_^

The Dawntreader
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:15 PM
RG in the past 8 years or so has just brought out the worst in every rivalry/any respectable match prospect. I always think the drama is 'contrived', with the crowd jumping on matches that aren't even very good quality wise.

The AO has always brought in the best matches, both in terms of quality and drama (which is sometimes the clinch of a great match more so than the former). Like Reetard said, there tends to be an equal spread of quality between the elite matches and the mid (even lower) ranks.

Shepster
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Over the last five years I'll say Wimbledon (albeit primarily for the first week's action, and usually not necessarily for quality) -

'07 you had Bartoli/Henin, Serena/Dani (not a great match, but uber-dramatic), JJ/Safarova was one of the matches of the year, Misa/Bartoli with the rain, Venus's first week struggles, etc.

'08 you had the Ana/Dechy match which was insane, Vaidisova/Stosur which was utterly mad for other reasons (i.e. Nicole cruising then trying to tank), the epicness of MJMS/Mirza, Sveta/Mathilde for pure quality, Mel/Alona etc.

'09 of course Elena/Serena, Stosur/Malick was a train wreck but dramatic to see who'd choke more, Baltacha/Alona with her having dumped out Mel the year before.

'10 Kvitova/Kanepi was ridiculous, Tsveti/Venus was as dramatic as a 2&3 beatdown gets, Alona again with the brits this time with Katie, Dani's first two matches which were just vintage her in terms of drama (sucking to get down to the other person's level, trying to choke at the end).

Then of course this year was immense with Venus/Kimiko having everything, the choke-fest that was Li/Lisicki, the intensity of Marion/Flavia, the insanity of Franny/Tamira, Mathilde/Heather "injury vs. gag-reflex", Marion/Serena, utterly compelling fortnight.