PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Ages; Any Body Watching This Historical Documentary on The History Channel?

tennisbum79
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Europe has come a long, long, long way, what a scary period that was.

Hitler and Bin Laden can't hold a candle to Charlemagne

The Nazis and AL Qaeda/The Talibans combined are child play compared to Charlemagne army and The Vikings.

The Vikings did not just kill people of all ages, they develop ways of killing as craft, an art form.

Charlemagne army was no pushover when it comes to killing either.

:lol:BTW, how did they go from that to the melow and laid back people who ppopulate that land today (and Minesota)???:lol:

Solitaire
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:32 AM
I think they got all of their killing-raping-pillaging out of their system early. Plus it's too damn cold to go outside and be mean.:p

Sadly I've given up on the History since they stopped doing shows about History.:sad: It seems to be going the way of MTV.

tennisbum79
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I think they got all of their killing-raping-pillaging out of their system early. Plus it's too damn cold to go outside and be mean.:p
I guess so. They were on turbo overrdrive during that period
Myabe the DNA that was in excess in that period had receded over the years to present day inhabitants, now they awarding Nobel Peace prize.

Sadly I've given up on the History since they stopped doing shows about History.:sad: It seems to be going the way of MTV.
TLC already has cornered that market.
Don't despair, from time to time, they have some very interesting program

kiwifan
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:41 AM
:lol:BTW, how did they go from that to the melo and laid back people who ppopulate that land today (and Minesota)???:lol:

I think the military innovations of WWI (poison gas, airplanes firing on soldiers, tanks, trench warfare) removed most of the (knights and chariots type) "glamor factor" of fighting/dying for your country. You know you're just sending your kid into a buzz saw of death.

Then the bombs and occupations and mass killings of WWII put the final nail in that "glamor factor" coffin...after all us Yanks could go home to nice homes with the nightmare of war "in the soldier's heads" (post traumatic distress) but little evidence to scare off future generations.

Wigglytuff
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:45 AM
I have it on my iPad. I really think char was child's play to Caligula, Ivan the bad guy, and many others,

Solitaire
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I have it on my iPad. I really think char was child's play to Caligula, Ivan the bad guy, and many others,

Oh Little Boots was truly a twisted fuck for the ages. :help:

Wigglytuff
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:59 AM

Seriously. He makes bin deaden look like an altar boy!

tennisbum79
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I think the military innovations of WWI (poison gas, airplanes firing on soldiers, tanks, trench warfare) removed most of the (knights and chariots type) "glamor factor" of fighting/dying for your country. You know you're just sending your kid into a buzz saw of death.

Then the bombs and occupations and mass killings of WWII put the final nail in that "glamor factor" coffin...after all us Yanks could go home to nice homes with the nightmare of war "in the soldier's heads" (post traumatic distress) but little evidence to scare off future generations.

This raises another question I have always wanted an answer to,but have never seen addressed in history books
Unlike today's warfare, where, as you pointed out, where most dyings of the enemy is far away from the soldiers who cause them, these Dark Ages fighers saw every single enemy they kill dying before their eyes.

I know social science did not exist then, but was there signs that these fighters had difficulty coping after the fighting was over?
Or they were so busy all the time that there was not time have any trauma?

kiwifan
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:00 AM

He's my personal favorite.

You can't be more off the hook than Caligula and actually have people obey you. :cool:

kiwifan
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:08 AM
This raises another question I have always wanted an answer to,but have never seen addressed in history books
Unlike today's warfare, where, as you pointed out, where most dyings of the enemy is far away from the soldiers who cause them, these Dark Ages fighers saw every single enemy they kill dying before their eyes.

I know social science did not exist then, but was there signs that these fighters had difficulty coping after the fighting was over?

I'm speaking in generalities because I'm sure there were always individuals who might have felt that way but for the masses...

I think back then you were always too busy to be overly analytical about things...you just did what your daddy did...unless good fortune smiled upon you and you got into royalty's favor.

I think really getting to the "why we do stuff" aspects of things was either " it's the will of the gods" or "it's the will of the king" until the rise of the modern middle class.

Just my learned impression...:angel:

~{X}~
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:16 AM
:lol: Caligula and Nero are like the best Pair ever. :haha:

I have watched the Dark Ages documentary and I am actually reading a book called "The Inheritance of Rome." which talks about Europe/Middle East/Africa during the years 400-1000. :)

Solitaire
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:48 AM

Surely they must have. Most of them didn't have time to indulge their traumas or disorders but it doesn't mean they didn't privately suffer. Not all of those fighters were professionals. Imagine being a common farmer being thrust into bloody war that's bound to mess with your head.