PDA

View Full Version : Which shot(s) from a top 10 player is/are the best at redirecting?

Break My Rapture
Jul 12th, 2011, 11:13 PM
The ones that come to mind immediately are...

A) Li's BH and FH (though the latter can get a bit wonky): so good at redirecting paceful shots.

B) Zvonareva's BH: in both defensive and offensive positions.

C) Kvitova's FH: serve outwide and FH DTL combo on the Ad court is sometimes jaw-dropping.

Any other thoughts on this?

The worst shot at redirecting from a top 10 player is Stosur's BH I think.

dsanders06
Jul 12th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Azarenka's backhand is the best imo.

Break My Rapture
Jul 12th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Snickers' BH is a very solid shot in attacking and defensive positions, but I get this feeling that Vika "over"-crosscourts her BH at times when she should be going DTL which oftenly gets her into trouble against the big hitters like Kvitova as they will blast DTL on their turn.

Ferg
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Id add in Kvitovas backhand DTL too. Some of the shots she pulled off in the final from big returns on that side from Maria were amazing, some on her knees.

Excelscior
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Id add in Kvitovas backhand DTL too. Some of the shots she pulled off in the final from big returns on that side from Maria were amazing, some on her knees.

Agreed/Absolutely!!!

Also Kvitova's Cross court (re-directing), angled forehand or back on the baselines or in the corners. Brilliant!!

Stonerpova
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Zvonareva. When she's confident she does it better than anyone off both wings. Her 2010 Dubai match against Jankovic illustrates this perfectly.

Jane Lane
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Snickers' BH is a very solid shot in attacking and defensive positions, but I get this feeling that Vika "over"-crosscourts her BH at times when she should be going DTL which oftenly gets her into trouble against the big hitters like Kvitova as they will blast DTL on their turn.

This. I feel like Vika gets a little predictable at times with her BH, but it's still a world class shot.

Jelena in her prime was great at this, especially off the BH, but the FH too on occasion. And Bepa is great as well, mainly because of her speed.

Kworb
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Jankovic BH. Oh wait she is not top 10 anymore. :sad:

Sean.
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Azarenka's BH by a long way.

Li's good at redirecting CC balls DTL too.

iPatty
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:18 AM

When Kvitty gets down low and LEANS on that BH...:drool:

dRihNu-Q_Hk

Point at 4:00.

Uranium
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Venus' backhand back in the day. It is one of the reasons she owned players like Kim and Jennifer. Get into CC rallies and bam with a huge backhand DTL. But Vee is a former top 10 player ATM.

Six Feet Under
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Marion on the run... actually :lol: It makes her go for angles, and she pulls it off alot.
I'd say Jankovic BH (oh wait she's not top 10 anymore)... Then Zvonareva

DefyingGravity
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Kimmie's got a great sense of ball movement, especially looking at 2003 matches.

VeeJJ
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Jankovic BH. Oh wait she is not top 10 anymore. :sad:

This

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:05 AM
When you say redirect, I usually think of cc shots. Going back behind your opponent, wrong footing them. And honestly, im suprised no one has mentioned Kim. Her strokes, especially her BH, can be devestating cc. Gotta deduct a lil bit for the fact that she uses CC ALOT, making it a lil less deceptive. But ive many a time seen someone try to hit a cc shot to her backhand only for it to come back at an even more extreme angle.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:07 AM
This

If she ever gets her form back, yeah obviously her BH is incredible, one of the best ive EVER seen when at her peak. She honestly kinda reminded me alot of a currentday evert at her best. Sublime backhand and somewhat funky looking but effective FH. But im very afraid that if Janko doesnt start putting something together soon, and her ranking continues to fall, that she will outright retire. She has almost done it once....

Break My Rapture
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Kimmie's got a great sense of ball movement, especially looking at 2003 matches.
Kimothy's BH is a CC maniac, she rarely goes DTL with it. Her FH is so extreme that her redirection of the ball is either unbelievably precise or flops terribly (also depends on the ball she's fed though).

But I do agree with JCTennisfan about Kimothy's BH being very able to angle the opponent off the court CC immediately after soaking up pressure. A couple of examples I remember of that are in her match against Azarenka Toronto '09.

DefyingGravity
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Kimothy's BH is a CC maniac, she rarely goes DTL with it. Her FH is so extreme that her redirection of the ball is either unbelievably precise or flops terribly (also depends on the ball she's fed though).

But I do agree with JCTennisfan about Kimothy's BH being very able to angle the opponent off the court CC immediately after soaking up pressure. A couple of examples I remember of that are in her match against Azarenka Toronto '09.

It could really go either way on the backhand. I remember her hitting a lot of backhand winners down the line after backing up from a deep cross court from her opponent after lulling them into the CC rallies, especially in 2003. She and Venus have especially lost their aggressive court sense, and when Kim was truly aggressive, she was able to redirect very well and use that little half volley off the forehand to hit down the line from a very deep shot. But you ARE right, she does tend to either hit the line precisely or hit the ball out anywhere from 2 inches to 2 feet.

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:52 PM
It could really go either way on the backhand. I remember her hitting a lot of backhand winners down the line after backing up from a deep cross court from her opponent after lulling them into the CC rallies, especially in 2003. She and Venus have especially lost their aggressive court sense, and when Kim was truly aggressive, she was able to redirect very well and use that little half volley off the forehand to hit down the line from a very deep shot. But you ARE right, she does tend to either hit the line precisely or hit the ball out anywhere from 2 inches to 2 feet.

Kimmie's forehand is such an insanely hard shot to hit right.... she has to basically time it almost perfectly, on a constant basis. Its very hard to do.... but when she does it well she hits near 90 mph winners off it {ive seen her do it...}. Alot of her up and down tendencies are because of her forehand, imo. She gives herself just about NO margin for error on it.

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Kimmie's forehand is such an insanely hard shot to hit right.... she has to basically time it almost perfectly, on a constant basis. Its very hard to do.... but when she does it well she hits near 90 mph winners off it {ive seen her do it...}. Alot of her up and down tendencies are because of her forehand, imo. She gives herself just about NO margin for error on it.

Agreed. Kim's forehand at it's best is a MONSTER - no-one in the game hits it bigger. But when it's off, it's God-awful. She used to be able to get away with it when her fh was off because she was quick enough to run round it and play the backhand ... but, now that her movement has deteriated, she just keeps going with that forehand even if it's not working at all and goes down in a flurry of errors. :'(

NoppaNoppa
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Clijsters forehand. Any questions?

Kim Clijsters - Forehand - ProStrokes 2.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmTdCqAXaa8

JCTennisFan
Jul 13th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Agreed. Kim's forehand at it's best is a MONSTER - no-one in the game hits it bigger. But when it's off, it's God-awful. She used to be able to get away with it when her fh was off because she was quick enough to run round it and play the backhand ... but, now that her movement has deteriated, she just keeps going with that forehand even if it's not working at all and goes down in a flurry of errors. :'(

This reminds me.... listen to the sound her forehand makes when she is hitting it well... it sounds like its been CLOBBERED. One of the nicest sounding forehands when hit right. Sounds so clean and powerful.

Graftard
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Kvitova is the only player on WTA who can properly execute DTL forehand, so my vote goes to her.

nemurenai
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Kvitova is the only player on WTA who can properly execute DTL forehand, so my vote goes to her.

:bs:

Nonsense.

DefyingGravity
Jul 14th, 2011, 01:39 AM
Oh, Capriati and vintage (2000-2002) Dokic were amazing to watch change the direction of the ball. Ivanovic's forehand when she was confident used to operate on the same kind of direction changing ability.

Potato
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:17 AM
JJ was the best at redirecting down the line, too bad she's retired.

Clijsters is the best at redirecting the ball cross court, but she's basically retired as well.

dsanders06
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Oh, Capriati and vintage (2000-2002) Dokic were amazing to watch change the direction of the ball. Ivanovic's forehand when she was confident used to operate on the same kind of direction changing ability.

Really? Although her forehand was awesome when she had time to set up, I have to say I never really thought of it as a great shot at absorbing pace and redirecting it... indeed she often made errors when she tried, even at her peak.

lang26
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Zvonareva. When she's confident she does it better than anyone off both wings. Her 2010 Dubai match against Jankovic illustrates this perfectly.

Yeah I agree with you all the way when Vera in the zone she does it better then anyone.
The ones that come to mind immediately are...

A) Li's BH and FH (though the latter can get a bit wonky): so good at redirecting paceful shots.

B) Zvonareva's BH: in both defensive and offensive positions.

C) Kvitova's FH: serve outwide and FH DTL combo on the Ad court is sometimes jaw-dropping.

Any other thoughts on this?

The worst shot at redirecting from a top 10 player is Stosur's BH I think.
Hardly see that now day player great at the Defensive and Offensive BH

lang26
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:47 AM

wouldn't say she the best but her BH is Great when she redirecting points problem vika doesn't do as much but yeah When she does she on point with it.

lang26
Jul 14th, 2011, 02:49 AM
1.Zvonareva
2.Kvitova
3.Azarenka
4.Jankovic (even through she not in the top 10 she be back in there soon) & Yeah her BH Redirecting Shot is one Best

VeeJJ
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:08 AM
If she ever gets her form back, yeah obviously her BH is incredible, one of the best ive EVER seen when at her peak. She honestly kinda reminded me alot of a currentday evert at her best. Sublime backhand and somewhat funky looking but effective FH. But im very afraid that if Janko doesnt start putting something together soon, and her ranking continues to fall, that she will outright retire. She has almost done it once....

:inlove: all this :)

And yeah you are for sure right. But the fact that he did almost retire once and started to win some consecutive matches and turn into the awesome players he became gives me hope that that can happen again and then some.

Jankovic's backhand is probably the best redirecting shot of all time. Generic tennis evaluaters are probably only think about redirection DTL or CC but Jelena very consistently hit another shot, inside out. No othe rplayer has hit an inside out back as, effectivly, and as often. It is without a doubt her signature shot. Everyone talks about her backhand DTL and even though that is an amazing shot, it's not her best or go to shot. That inside out backhand is effortless and always being hit when she plays. Her cross court backhand is very good too. Her back hand over all is one of the best the sport has ever seen. It had such dept, variety, and consistency. Re-direction wasn't even hard for Jelena, it was common and effortless.

Jelena, learn how to play tennis again :sobbing:

Bismarck.
Jul 14th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Jankovic's backhand is probably the best redirecting shot of all time.

I love Jelena, but Chris Evert's backhand gets this award.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Lenochka's running forehand :awww::sobbing::bowdown:

Break My Rapture
Jul 14th, 2011, 11:33 AM

And yeah you are for sure right. But the fact that he did almost retire once and started to win some consecutive matches and turn into the awesome players he became gives me hope that that can happen again and then some.

Jankovic's backhand is probably the best redirecting shot of all time. Generic tennis evaluaters are probably only think about redirection DTL or CC but Jelena very consistently hit another shot, inside out. No othe rplayer has hit an inside out back as, effectivly, and as often. It is without a doubt her signature shot. Everyone talks about her backhand DTL and even though that is an amazing shot, it's not her best or go to shot. That inside out backhand is effortless and always being hit when she plays. Her cross court backhand is very good too. Her back hand over all is one of the best the sport has ever seen. It had such dept, variety, and consistency. Re-direction wasn't even hard for Jelena, it was common and effortless.

I think Jankovic's BH is slightly overrated. It's a great, very solid shot but it's not the best shot at redirecting of all time, by some miles. There are probably about 4 or 5 BHs that I would say are better than Jankovic's (especially now when JaJa's BH, along with the rest of her game, has gone down the drain so much).

Excelscior
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Kvitova's standing, running and kneeling backhand re-direct down the line. And Kvitova's standing and running re-direct forehand down the line. Kvitova's Cross court hook forehand into the corner's. Kvitova's Cross Court sharp angled Back onto the upper side lines.

I've seen her re-direct all these shots regularly with stunning and ruthless efficiency for winners!

VeeJJ
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I love Jelena, but Chris Evert's backhand gets this award.

Okay I will compromise, from the 90's onward.

I think Jankovic's BH is slightly overrated. It's a great, very solid shot but it's not the best shot at redirecting of all time, by some miles. There are probably about 4 or 5 BHs that I would say are better than Jankovic's (especially now when JaJa's BH, along with the rest of her game, has gone down the drain so much).

Well I'm solely talking about peak Jelena's backhand. And the only other backhand I would put up there with her's is Henin's. And probably Peak Venus. That's it.

Break My Rapture
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Okay I will compromise, from the 90's onward.

Well I'm solely talking about peak Jelena's backhand. And the only other backhand I would put up there with her's is Henin's. And probably Peak Venus. That's it.
Peak Henin and Vinas' BH are way more explosive, they are weapons of destruction. I always felt Jelena's BH slightly lacked power compared to some of the other BHs on tour, even when she goes DTL.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 14th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Well I'm solely talking about peak Jelena's backhand.

At their peak, there are many players who redirected the ball with more precision/power than Jankovic's bh. Players like -

Evert - The most accurate BH ever and it had to be since she had to pass serve and volleyers like King/Navratilova.
Goolagong - She is not talked about as much as Evert, but that BH was soo smooth.
Lindsay - One of the cleanest ballstrikers with one of the best backhands.
Serena - We all know about her bh from 00-03
Venus - THE Superwweapon from 2000-2003
Henin
Seles - She could go down the line and create these extreme angles with it, even from the hardest hit serves.
Hingis - It reminds me of Evert's

Jankovic's BH was a very good shot, but due to the lack of any other weapon in her arsenal, that wing gets vastly VASTLY overrated, as Pieter said. Even Na at her best hits her BH better than Jankovic at her best.

JCTennisFan
Jul 15th, 2011, 10:26 PM
At their peak, there are many players who redirected the ball with more precision/power than Jankovic's bh. Players like -

Evert - The most accurate BH ever and it had to be since she had to pass serve and volleyers like King/Navratilova.
Goolagong - She is not talked about as much as Evert, but that BH was soo smooth.
Henin
Seles - She could go down the line and create these extreme angles with it, even from the hardest hit serves.

Jankovic's BH was a very good shot, but due to the lack of any other weapon in her arsenal, that wing gets vastly VASTLY overrated, as Pieter said. Even Na at her best hits her BH better than Jankovic at her best.

Li's peak backhand compared to Janko's isnt even really a fair comparison. Li has the amazing ability of redirecting POWER, thats what she does best. She makes the power hitters look tame because she redirects all their power with interest. Janko's backhand at her peak was just far more effortless looking, just a truely sublime shot.

JCTennisFan
Jul 15th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Peak Henin and Vinas' BH are way more explosive, they are weapons of destruction. I always felt Jelena's BH slightly lacked power compared to some of the other BHs on tour, even when she goes DTL.

Venus at her best had a harder struck BH than jankovic, this much is for sure. But it certaintly didnt look as effortless, and she was definitely more prone to errors off of it than Janko. Henin's backhand is arguably the best one-handed backhand on the women's side ever... but one-handed backhands can only be so good. you'll never be able to control high bounces as well as a 2 hander, and your control of strong serves will never be quite as good. Her angles off of it could be pretty severe though, which was her BH's best attribute imo.

Break My Rapture
Jul 15th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Venus at her best had a harder struck BH than jankovic, this much is for sure. But it certaintly didnt look as effortless, and she was definitely more prone to errors off of it than Janko. Henin's backhand is arguably the best one-handed backhand on the women's side ever... but one-handed backhands can only be so good. you'll never be able to control high bounces as well as a 2 hander, and your control of strong serves will never be quite as good. Her angles off of it could be pretty severe though, which was her BH's best attribute imo.
Definitely true plus a single-handed BH is easier to read for opponents. The upper body's turning and uncoiling as you hit the shot really exposes the direction you are aiming to hit the ball to more so than a double-handed BH.

JCTennisFan
Jul 15th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Definitely true plus a single-handed BH is easier to read for opponents. The upper body's turning and uncoiling as you hit the shot really exposes the direction you are aiming to hit the ball to more so than a double-handed BH.

Wonderful post, and it reminds me of one of the biggest reasons why Janko's Bh was so sublime when she was at her best.... she disguised it like no1 else. Most times her opponents had NO clue which direction she was gonna hit at, and as others have mentioned, she could hit it DTL, CC, or Inside out with equal effectiveness. that shot was a BEAST in 2008.

iPatty
Jul 15th, 2011, 11:06 PM

http://webservice.imagesauce.net/image/131882/400x.jpg

There are a over a dozen layers with better BHs than Jankovic. She wasn't successful because she had the "best" anything, she was successful because she didn't miss and didn't do anything poorly.

Ryan
Jul 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM

Henin

This. Jelena's backhand at its best is MAYBE in the Top 10 backhands of the Open Era. And all of the backhands reetard listed are better are redirecting the ball and absorbing power.

I'll be biased and say Hingis' was the best, along with Evert.

JCTennisFan
Jul 15th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Evert yes, Hingis no. Hingis did indeed have a nice backhand, but it just didnt compare to Janko's. Jankovic hit hers harder, had better disguise, could go inside out, and it generally looked more effortless/had better depth on a consistent basis. Neither backhand was bad, mind you, but Janko's was superior.

JCTennisFan
Jul 15th, 2011, 11:18 PM
http://webservice.imagesauce.net/image/131882/400x.jpg

There are a over a dozen layers with better BHs than Jankovic. She wasn't successful because she had the "best" anything, she was successful because she didn't miss and didn't do anything poorly.

Untrue, at her best Janko's BH was the perfect match of power, precision, consistency, and disguise. It was a truely well-rounded shot. Venus hit harder but didnt disguise as good and was never as consistent. Hingis was consistent and had good disguise but it was never as powerful. Henin's BH was simply amazing but she could never get around the inherient issues of a one-hander. Davenport's was incredible but her movement was so slow she often wasnt in postition to hit it properly. I could go on and on....

The Dawntreader
Jul 15th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Hingis basically created the BHDTL in the modern game, in terms of her precision, willingness to open the court/hit clean winners off it. Evert had an immaculate bh, with a seemingly impenetrable success rate, but she never really went for audacious clean winners off the bh, especially dtl. Evert was all about manipulating the ball, stretching her opponents in rallies, before finally closing out the point. Hingis took the ball ridiculously early and had such great disguise.

Then of course Venus/Serena revolutionised the concept of redirecting the ball. Kvitova has great hands and her timing lends itself well to change the direction of the ball, but she has nowhere near the athleticism that Venus and Serena had, combined with their fundamental racquet skill.

Sammo
Jul 15th, 2011, 11:32 PM
YJCCA5VHjGE

Sam's backhand at 19 :sobbing: Whyyy?! :sobbing:

JCTennisFan
Jul 15th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Hingis basically created the BHDTL in the modern game, in terms of her precision, willingness to open the court/hit clean winners off it. Evert had an immaculate bh, with a seemingly impenetrable success rate, but she never really went for audacious clean winners off the bh, especially dtl. Evert was all about manipulating the ball, stretching her opponents in rallies, before finally closing out the point. Hingis took the ball ridiculously early and had such great disguise.

Then of course Venus/Serena revolutionised the concept of redirecting the ball. Kvitova has great hands and her timing lends itself well to change the direction of the ball, but she has nowhere near the athleticism that Venus and Serena had, combined with their fundamental racquet skill.

I agree with the first half of your post, but V&S didnt revolutionize redirection. The William sisters simply combined power and footspeed in a way that noone had done before. Before the WS you had slow, but very powerful hitters in the form of Davenport, Seles, Pierce. And then you had fast movers with good backhands that lacked power (coezter, hingis, asv, etc) But only until the WS came around did you have 2 players who had both power and footspeed. THATS what they revolutionized.

starin
Jul 16th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I agree with the first half of your post, but V&S didnt revolutionize redirection. The William sisters simply combined power and footspeed in a way that noone had done before. Before the WS you had slow, but very powerful hitters in the form of Davenport, Seles, Pierce. And then you had fast movers with good backhands that lacked power (coezter, hingis, asv, etc) But only until the WS came around did you have 2 players who had both power and footspeed. THATS what they revolutionized.

Capriati had power and speed.
The WS combined power, speed, and SERVE. i.e. the peak in women's tennis. I've yet to see someone other than the Belgians match the bar that they've set.

JCTennisFan
Jul 16th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Capriati had power and speed.
The WS combined power, speed, and SERVE. i.e. the peak in women's tennis. I've yet to see someone other than the Belgians match the bar that they've set.

True, but in the late 90s she was AWOL, and really didnt gain her "power" until her comeback. She hit hard for the time in the early 90s, but she could be outhit by Graf, Seles, Sabatini, etc. In her comeback she could only really be hit off the court by 00-02 Venus, or Davenport. Her strokes got progressively more powerful over time. But Venus and Serena were doing it in 98-99, when Cap took until 01 to get the formula right. But you are correct, Cap was one of the few that combined power and speed, and her error counts were often lower than V&S, so she also combined consistency.

Ryan
Jul 16th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Evert yes, Hingis no. Hingis did indeed have a nice backhand, but it just didnt compare to Janko's. Jankovic hit hers harder, had better disguise, could go inside out, and it generally looked more effortless/had better depth on a consistent basis. Neither backhand was bad, mind you, but Janko's was superior.

Dude, GET OFF THE CRACK. Jankovic looks like she's trying to lasso cattle when she hits her backhand. And pace? Over 2006/7 Hingis, yep she hit it harder. But even 2001 Hingis hit harder, deeper and more effortless backhands than Jankovic ever has. Hitting an inside out backhand is hardly something that makes it better; it means her forehand was horrible, and she compensated by looping an inside-out backhand back into the court.

Besides the obvious (i.e. looking at them when you're not on drugs), just look at the stats. Hingis' backhand helped her win 5 Singles Slams. Jankovic's helped her get to #1 at the end of 2008, and thats it. It was not a big enough weapon or a good enough stroke to make her a Slam winner.

Graftard
Jul 16th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Besides the obvious (i.e. looking at them when you're not on drugs), just look at the stats. Hingis' backhand helped her win 5 Singles Slams. Jankovic's helped her get to #1 at the end of 2008, and thats it. It was not a big enough weapon or a good enough stroke to make her a Slam winner.

Jankovic didn't win a slam not because of her backhand. Talent wise, she could have won as many slams as Hingis.

Ryan
Jul 16th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Jankovic didn't win a slam not because of her backhand. Talent wise, she could have won as many slams as Hingis.

:spit: Only in your dreams is Jankovic as talented as Hingis.

The Kaz
Jul 16th, 2011, 03:56 AM

IKR :lol:

Hingis is probably the most talented player in the last 25 years... she so underachieved :awww:

Ryan
Jul 16th, 2011, 04:03 AM
And people are comparing her to Jankovic of all people. It just boggles my mind dude. Hingis runs circles around her in the talent department, not to mention outclassing her with the backhand.

Graftard
Jul 16th, 2011, 04:09 AM

Completely wrong and you probably never even seen Jankovic play in her peak form. Her game would have dominated RG as she is a much better and more complete player than baby Anci and slow hard courts, AO included. Her problem was strictly mental and that's precisely why she doesn't have 4-5 slams by now. For example the USO 2006 semi illustrates why she never became an elite player (outplayed Henin badly and choked pathetically).

VeeJJ
Jul 16th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Untrue, at her best Janko's BH was the perfect match of power, precision, consistency, and disguise. It was a truely well-rounded shot. Venus hit harder but didnt disguise as good and was never as consistent. Hingis was consistent and had good disguise but it was never as powerful. Henin's BH was simply amazing but she could never get around the inherient issues of a one-hander. Davenport's was incredible but her movement was so slow she often wasnt in postition to hit it properly. I could go on and on....

This.

Could not have said it better myself.

VeeJJ
Jul 16th, 2011, 04:48 AM

This

And people are comparing her to Jankovic of all people. It just boggles my mind dude. Hingis runs circles around her in the talent department, not to mention outclassing her with the backhand.

Hingis had finesse over Jankovic for sure and was smarter on court. Hingis may have been a little more talented but both totally choked at their time of opportunity to win slams and or more slams in Hingis' case. Slams is not the debate here.

Break My Rapture
Jul 16th, 2011, 01:39 PM
tK7n3uWeuo4

Even Zvonareva hits and redirects her BH approx as hard and precise as Peak Jankovic. Compared to this:

NskenIw7MXs

Vinas' BH way more explosive and just as precise (if not more) when going DTL.

Jankovic's BH is definitely NOT the best shot at redirecting, she would be lucky to get into top 10 of all time IMO.