PDA

View Full Version : Palermo: RD1: Mathilde Johansson def Aravane Rezai: 7-6(5),6-1

RobinT83
Jul 12th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Mathilde :yeah:

Lighter
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Dunno if Mathilde improved her level or if Aravane's slump is going on, but that's the fact :
Mathilde will play a not so competitive Flavia in R2.

SVK
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:02 PM
How can anyone lose a close tiebreak to Johansson and even after leading:o

Lighter
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:06 PM
How can anyone lose a close tiebreak to Johansson and even after leading:oMathilde is a fighter, a player who defeated Sania Mirza 1-6, 7-6, 7-6 in Miami.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:08 PM
oh Aravane :( :shrug:
gonna be in qualies for US Open now unless there's about 7-8 withdrawals

Mathilde :)

Ayumilove
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:09 PM
This is just so wrong. :rolleyes:
Anyone who knows a thing about women's tennis knows that Aravane's best is way better than Johanssons.
To hell with Aravane's father. :mad:

Poetik
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Aravane/Alize - great pair for doubles in US OPEN'11 haha

harloo
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Not impressed.:lol:

Serenita
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Poor Rezai. :hug:

SVK
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Mathilde is a fighter, a player who defeated Sania Mirza 1-6, 7-6, 7-6 in Miami.

Mathilde is actually more known for her collapses in close matches, surely you can find much more matches when she wasted leading than those when she fight back.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Rezai :shrug:

Sammo
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah!

Jane Lane
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Mathilde :cheer:

Aravane :hug: Does this mean I get to see her at USO qualies when I go? :shrug:

LCS
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Either Rezai wanted to get the hell out of there or she was just crap today. :facepalm:

valac222
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Who cannot beat Rezai then?

Gilas.
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Mathilde is actually more known for her collapses in close matches, surely you can find much more matches when she wasted leading than those when she fight back.

THIS. She lost to Biatchenko at her home slam after 689532 match points.

Temperenka
Jul 12th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Aravane is clearly a much better player than Mathilde.

I'm starting to feel bad for her. She shouldn't be losing more than a few games to the scrub that is Mathilde Johansson.

Valanga
Jul 12th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I somehow see it coming - losing a close match against Hercog last week hurt her confidence and now this

StephenUK
Jul 12th, 2011, 06:45 PM
It's weird how the wheel of tennis fortune turns.

A year ago and Aravane was a top 20 player after her victory at Madrid, whereas poor Mathilde had slumped out of the top 250 and could not even get into Wimbledon qualies. Mathilde, however, bravely fought back into the top 70 by going back to basics and getting a string of wins in clay court ITFs and was able to build on this to come back on the WTA tour and reestablish herself with wins there also.

Maybe Aravane now needs to follow Mathilde's example and hit those clay court ITFs where she is more likely to pick up the wins and points she desperately needs, rather than being continuing her losing streak from WTA tour main draws into hard court qualies.

Her match against Serena at Wimbledon shows that Aravane still has a game there, all is not lost, but her confidence is clearly shattered and she just needs any old wins from anywhere at this stage to stop the rot.

Excelscior
Jul 12th, 2011, 06:50 PM
It's weird how the wheel of tennis fortune turns.

A year ago and Aravane was a top 20 player after her victory at Madrid, whereas poor Mathilde had slumped out of the top 250 and could not even get into Wimbledon qualies. Mathilde, however, bravely fought back into the top 70 by going back to basics and getting a string of wins in clay court ITFs and was able to build on this to come back on the WTA tour and reestablish herself with wins there also.

Maybe Aravane now needs to follow Mathilde's example and hit those clay court ITFs where she is more likely to pick up the wins and points she desperately needs, rather than being continuing her losing streak from WTA tour main draws into hard court qualies.

Her match against Serena at Wimbledon shows that Aravane still has a game there, all is not lost, but her confidence is clearly shattered and she just needs any old wins from anywhere at this stage to stop the rot.

So well said. Players swing in and out of top 20-100 all the time (wildly many times), year to year. It's so incredible and normal, when you watch and take note of it, except the very top players (who sometimes tumble themselves due to injury or inactivity). Most casual fans don't even notice this.

That's why I never get too cocky when my young fave excels (at least when I have sense). Cause until they can prove to you that they have the physical, tennis, as well as mental goods, you never know how they're going to react and come through rough goings.

I'm sure Rezai, will make it back sometime.

RobinT83
Jul 12th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Aravane Rezai = the perfect definition of "brainless ball basher", she has no clue how to play the game.

Petkorazzi
Jul 12th, 2011, 06:55 PM
It's kinda wrong to compare Johansson and Rezai though. :shrug: Aravane has the personal problems going on, and the wins in ITFs wouldn't change much probably, as her problem is deeper than just a series of losses... Johansson is just a much worse player, and she is so mentally fragile that she needs a lot of wins to keep her confidence high. Plus, I never saw her as a player better than say 75k ITFs. :shrug: Great ballstriker with a terrible serve and attitude? Seen that plenty of times, that's for sure...

chavet
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Can anyone please enlight me with what have happen with Rezai on a personal level, as it seems like I'm the only one who doesn't know what happen to her ?

Excelscior
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Can anyone please enlight me with what have happen with Rezai on a personal level, as it seems like I'm the only one who doesn't know what happen to her ?

I'm sure others can tell you more than me (as well as looking it up yourself), but she's been having major issues with her father.

He's been accused of threatening her, her boyfriend, trying to take a punch at her boyfriend, being upset that she has a boyfriend, having a bad temper, and he was banned from the side lines of all WTA tournaments supposedly, after this all blew up at the Australian Open this year. Then a bunch of crazy back and forth allegations, came out of this as well. Lol.

Lighter
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:45 PM
I'm sure others can tell you more than me (as well as looking it up yourself), but she's been having major issues with her father.

He's been accused of threatening her, her boyfriend, trying to take a punch at her boyfriend, being upset that she has a boyfriend, having a bad temper, and he was banned from the side lines of all WTA tournaments supposedly, after this all blew up at the Australian Open this year. Then a bunch of crazy back and forth allegations, came out of this as well. Lol.Her father also requests money. That's why she fired her brother after IW, i guess. And She has no contact anymore with her little sister who was before in charge of administration.

She tries to be as secret as possible, fearing her father's bad reaction. It's not really easy for her.

chavet
Jul 12th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Damn, sounds serious:eek:, thanks for info guys

BlueTrees
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Aravane :sad: US Open qualies I guess :tape:

Mathilde :cheer:

Brad[le]y.
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Aravane :(

sortof reminds me of the way Cornet was losing every match she played after peaking into the top 20 :tape:

I guess that's what you get for trying to dethrone Bartoli as French no. 1 :scared:

akephon35695
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Who's know this could be continue for a few month or some of year like Jelena.
Poor girl indeed

Beat
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Dunno if Mathilde improved her level or if Aravane's slump is going on, but that's the fact :
Mathilde will play a not so competitive Flavia in R2.

you don't know if aravane's slump is going on? take a wild guess!

He's been accused of threatening her, her boyfriend, trying to take a punch at her boyfriend, being upset that she has a boyfriend, having a bad temper, and he was banned from the side lines of all WTA tournaments supposedly, after this all blew up at the Australian Open this year. Then a bunch of crazy back and forth allegations, came out of this as well. Lol.

another tennis dad from hell. just what we needed :rolleyes: how can you do something like that to your own child?

TS
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:10 AM
From top 20 at the Australian Open to QUALIES at the US Open. When was the last time this happened?

Ayumilove
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Aravane :(

sortof reminds me of the way Cornet was losing every match she played after peaking into the top 20 :tape:
I guess that's what you get for trying to dethrone Bartoli as French no. 1 :scared:

are you kidding? :lol:
cornet was never good. :ignore:
rezai actually has a top 10 game

Sammo
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Her father also requests money. That's why she fired her brother after IW, i guess. And She has no contact anymore with her little sister who was before in charge of administration.

She tries to be as secret as possible, fearing her father's bad reaction. It's not really easy for her.

Why does she fear her father's reaction? She's the tennis superstar, she could hire a hitman... :devil: Just saying...

schorsch
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:50 PM
http://www.snaiopen.com/imagebrowser/ib_p078_1_23.jpg :unsure:

Lighter
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Why does she fear her father's reaction? She's the tennis superstar, she could hire a hitman... :devil: Just saying...Dunno if you know her father ? He's very versatile. He can be sweet, and 2 seconds after, crazy. Many stories are well known in France :
- France Championships under 16 : Match vs Virginie Ayassamy
- When he said about Goven that he loved teens in CNE

Ferg
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:40 PM

Damn straight.