PDA

View Full Version : Anyone loves running races? (I have a half marathon in September!)

Mynarco
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Did a 10k run in London last Sunday and I did it 54:27 (not a good result for a young bloke but beat my PB anyway) :)
Really tempted to go for Half-Marathon in London next year :)

anyone loves running? any experiences in Half-Marathon or above?

EDIT: I am running my first half marathon on September 16, 2012! Should be fun:D

Helen Lawson
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:57 AM
I used to run races a lot, but no time right now to train properly. 10K and half marathon were my favorites. My personal best on 10K was like 42 minutes, but I consider anything under an hour to be a good time. My half best was like 1:46 or something. If you can do a 10K in less than an hour, you will have no problem with a half, go for it! It's really addictive.

I did one mararhon, did a 4:05, really bummed I could not break 4 hours, that's all I wanted but I didn't pace myself right and ny knees just died around 23 miles and I had to slow down. It was a great experience, but it killed my body training for it, I had to do physical therapy for hips and rear end, it was great to finish, but I can't do that to my body again.

I might do a half next year if I can train properly.

How many 10Ks have you done? I hate 5K, just running as fast as you can for 20 minutes is no fun.

Mynarco
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:12 AM
This is my 2nd 10k run (I did my first in July last year,same event). First one is 58-ish so I improve my record by 3 minutes. Never done 5k because..it's too short.

I have no idea how to train, really. I spent some time running on treadmill 2 weeks before hand and that's it. The longest I can do on treadmill is 5km. Can't do 10km because it's just too boring. I do much better if I just run outside.

Now I have to rest for a couple of days because of sore thighs. But it's a wonderful experience. And I helped raising 100 pounds for a NGO.

New_balls_please
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:15 AM
I'm a good runner :cool: I've run two 10K in June and I'm running a half marathon in August :cheer:

Sean.
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Used to do it in the school play ground. :p

New_balls_please
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:23 AM
I don't train at all if you ask :lol: I just play tennis every week and I try to be in good shape by swimming and playing a few other sports. A few days before the race, I run with one of the multiple running teams of my uni. Playing tennis makes you capable of running long distances imo

Lin Lin
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Did a 10k run in London last Sunday and I did it 54:27 (not a good result for a young bloke but beat my PB anyway) :)

you knoiw that I participated half-marathon last year and won a bronze medal:lol:

Helen Lawson
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:29 AM
They have training plans free on the Internet. It tells you how long to run various days of the week for several weeks before the race so you are ready.

I hate treadmills, too, so boring even with a TV.

Totally do a half, I honestly didn't think it was that much harder than a 10K. Based on your 10K time, you will easily be able to finish with a respectable time without training, but if you do the training program, your time will be much better.

Mynarco
Feb 10th, 2012, 06:41 PM
entered the ballot for the biggest half marathon race in September and was accepted. My first half marathon race in my life. Before hand I also run the same 10k race in London for the third time :)

Cannot wait for spring to kick in and I can practice running

NyCPsU
Feb 10th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I run a ton. I dont enter races as often though. Running for me is more of a stress releaser, as in if Im having a bad day I like to go for a nice 10 mile run to clear my head a bit and just get away.

I do want to do the NYC marathon soon though, its just really hard to get entered into.

Calvin M.
Feb 10th, 2012, 07:23 PM

EDIT: I am running my first half marathon on September 16, 2012! Should be fun:D

Congrats on signing up your first Half. Yep, I'm a fellow runner; I've done 21 Half Marathons (and 8 full marathons).

I do want to do the NYC marathon soon though, its just really hard to get entered into.

Try the lottery. I got in twice (including last year) by my name being picked in a raffle.

http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/1066.htm

Otherwise, join NYRR, do your 9 races+ 1 volunteering and you're automatically entered for 2013.

Tripp
Mar 19th, 2012, 08:56 PM
*Bump*

I've started running 10K races like 6 months ago and yesterday I made my personal best of 37:22, which is pretty good for someone who stopped smoking only 8 months ago :p.

Mynarco
Mar 19th, 2012, 11:22 PM
37:22 :eek: that's IMPRESSIVE

nevetssllim
Mar 19th, 2012, 11:36 PM
entered the ballot for the biggest half marathon race in September and was accepted. My first half marathon race in my life. Before hand I also run the same 10k race in London for the third time :)

Great North Run?

Tripp
Mar 19th, 2012, 11:55 PM
37:22 :eek: that's IMPRESSIVE

Thanks! I was aiming for a top 10 finish but I ended up in the 11th place, so I'm still not quite pleased with my time. But there's still room for improvement. My goal is to be fit enough for a 42K in June.

Mynarco
Mar 19th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Great North Run?
Yes :) entered the ballot just for fun in January - not expected to get in because I didn't for the royal parks ballot a couple weeks earlier
but this wasn't the case :lol: and I will be going to Newcastle :lol:

I am contemplating running a 10k in July for warmup event(in london, 50 quid registration fee is too much though). There is another one in May but I need to raise 100 quid cause it's a charity place

Tripp
Mar 20th, 2012, 12:01 AM
What's a quid?

Mynarco
Mar 20th, 2012, 12:10 AM
What's a quid?

a quid = one British Pound.

Helen Lawson
Mar 20th, 2012, 12:36 AM
*Bump*

I've started running 10K races like 6 months ago and yesterday I made my personal best of 37:22, which is pretty good for someone who stopped smoking only 8 months ago :p.

Great time!!! :worship:

nevetssllim
Mar 20th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Yes :) entered the ballot just for fun in January - not expected to get in because I didn't for the royal parks ballot a couple weeks earlier
but this wasn't the case :lol: and I will be going to Newcastle :lol:

I am contemplating running a 10k in July for warmup event(in london, 50 quid registration fee is too much though). There is another one in May but I need to raise 100 quid cause it's a charity place

The GNR is on quite a tricky course. I've never run it but I've watched it on TV every year since 2004 and I know people who've run it before and the last part is very tough. You have a steep downhill section followed by a mile to the finish with the wind pretty much in your face all the way down!

But good luck with it though! Everyone says the atmosphere is great!