PDA

View Full Version : Fanbase Beefs: Serena Vs Maria

Pages : [1] 2 3

moemoe
Jul 11th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Why are certain fan bases hostile towards others.

Like Maria vs Serena and Caroline vs everyone.

I just don't know why they are mad at each other. Was there some sort of beef between the two players.

And I am not trying to start drama I just want to discuss the underlying issues behind some of the post I see here.

I hope this is not a bad 1st thread.

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM
How many posts until this gets ugly?

moemoe
Jul 11th, 2011, 05:57 PM
All I want is a nice discussion to answer the question about the hostility?

Maria rocks
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:01 PM

I just don't know why they are mad at each other. Was there some sort of beef between the two players.

And I am not trying to start drama I just want to discuss the underlying issues behind some of the post I see here.

Have no idea i think they are all fantastic players:)

danieln1
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Ivanovic vs Jankovic fans was very funny, but now they´re both irrelevant and it´s not fun anymore.

Ciarán
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:09 PM

Please stay :sobbing:

Serena_Williams_
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:10 PM
How many posts until this gets ugly?

1 page of this thread

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I think Ivanovic-Jankovic is even worse. I once made a comment "Ana had a BYE in the finals" and that Jelena had a tougher foe in Serena Williams for her one slam final, NO SHADE intended(I don't stan for or dislike either of them.) This wasn't in the thread that's open now, this was in 2010, and I got exactly three badreps, from offended Ana fans, one of which read "Shut up horse-face lover!" :sobbing: I've been a little more careful with my words since then.

moemoe
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Ivanovic vs Jankovic fans was very funny, but now they´re both irrelevant and it´s not fun anymore.

I wonder why there was a beef there they're country women and of a few from that country

Vee Williams
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:15 PM
will hell break loose with this thread?

and it must be made clear: not all serena fans and not all maria fans are the same!

Serenita
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I think Ivanovic-Jankovic is even worse. I once made a comment "Ana had a BYE in the finals" and that Jelena had a tougher foe in Serena Williams for her one slam final, NO SHADE intended(I don't stan for or dislike either of them.) This wasn't in the thread that's open now, this was in 2010, and I got exactly three badreps, from offended Ana fans, one of which read "Shut up horse-face lover!" :sobbing: I've been a little more careful with my words since then.
:lol:

Serena_Williams_
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:20 PM
What shall happen with this thread?i wonder...

Slutiana
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Irrelevant.

Everyone knows that the fan war to end all fan wars is the one between Venus and Serena fans. What went down after the Dubai 09 SF will never be topped. NEVER. :sobbing:

Slampova
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:38 PM
The majority of Serena and Maria fans have been getting on very well for over a year now :shrug:

Novichok
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:39 PM
The majority of Serena and Maria fans have been getting on very well for over a year now :shrug:

Just wait until they play one another.:timebomb:

edificio
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:40 PM

Not a good thread, and I don't believe you when you say you don't want to start drama.

moemoe
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Not a good thread, and I don't believe you when you say you don't want to start drama.

I just wanted an answer to things I see in other threads why does anyone hate a tennis player

MB.
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:54 PM

This. Oh, the joy of 2008...

Stonerpova
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I just wanted an answer to things I see in other threads why does anyone hate a tennis player

I'll give this a whirl. It's hard to group an entire fanbase together, but I feel that the general Serena fan would dislike Maria due to the Russian's triumph over Serena in the 2004 Wimbledon final. And the general Maria fan would dislike Serena because she kicked the shit out of Maria in the 07 Australian Open final and has only lost one set to her since then. For a while their rivalry was pretty intense (04-07) and so was the rivalry between their fans, but now that A) Serena has established herself as the superior player and B) they've played only four times in the last four years there isn't a lot to feud about. And I'm sure there are certain fans that dislike the other player for other reasons. Sharapova's my favorite player, but I love Serena too.

18majors
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Both Serena and Maria are good for women's tennis.

Feyd
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:08 PM
New TF rookie who has no idea what he/she is getting into. :lol:

Effy
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:11 PM

banned user? :p

lol @ Caro vs everyone :happy:

danieln1
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:11 PM
This. Oh, the joy of 2008...

It was sooo good to battle with Jankovic fans, I remember some, scorsch, Bruno23412, magicmilan.... now, we have nothing!

I miss 2008 :sobbing:

Sammo
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:15 PM
All nuts

Aaron.
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:17 PM
banned user? :p

lol @ Caro vs everyone :happy: I thought about that then I realized he/she was premium. Why would a banned member waste money on premium with the risk of getting banned? :p

moemoe
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Not a banned user just read without joining for awhile. So I know about the beef and about Hand scraped Anotoxfa

Jane Lane
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:22 PM

You're in the wrong forum honey.

Uranium
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Irrelevant.

Everyone knows that the fan war to end all fan wars is the one between Venus and Serena fans. What went down after the Dubai 09 SF will never be topped. NEVER. :sobbing:

So true. A few bitter people became Serena only fans that day. But some Serena fans are nasty when it comes to Venus. Serenidad led and still does lead that troop on this forum.

moemoe
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks Gamesetmatch for giving a nice answer

The Witch-king
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:45 PM

Irrelevant.

with people defecting :lol: but I think the rivalry between Serena fans and Henin fans is bigger

Excelscior
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:04 PM

I thought this would appear pretty clear and self explanatory :tape: :cool: :wavey: !?

Maria vs Serena: stemming from their 2004 Wimby final that Maria won; then Serena's subsequent butt kickings of Masha (giving both parties something to cheer about and hate about the other).

In regards to Caro, many people hate her style (pusher), tour scheduling, lack of Grand Slam wins, personality (sunshine) and look (young blonde), though she's been #1 for 39 weeks, makes lots of money and has 17 tour titles, which their fave don't.

That's a simple summary, but probably covers most of what you noticed, with the fans of these players that do fight. ;)

miffedmax
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:33 PM
The biggest rivalry was among Dementieva fans to come up with the most imaginative ways to drink ourselves to death after yet another 37-doublefault performance in the late rounds of a slam.

Now that was some intense shit.

Obviously, I never won. :sobbing:

slydevil6142
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Im the first to say I didnt immediately like Maria but it really didnt have anything to do with her more so the media consistent need to proclaim her the "Next Serena".... when she wasnt. Im sure Maria fans didnt get a kick out of Serena saying Maria was overrated in People Magazine. I think over the last few years they havent played enough and quite frankly you cant really have "beef" with a fanbase when "their" player hasnt beaten Serena in YEARS. My biggest problem has been and will always be Justine and her cheating ways, but once again that doesnt have anything to do with her fan base well... I guess it kinda does if they try and defend her blantant bad sportmanship. (Which they are always doing..Justine was such a fantastic player its ashame she felt the need for all that extra)

JN
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM

All I know is that center pic of Maria in your sig is hot as fuck! OW!!! Where's the full-sized image?

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I'll give this a whirl. It's hard to group an entire fanbase together, but I feel that the general Serena fan would dislike Maria due to the Russian's triumph over Serena in the 2004 Wimbledon final. And the general Maria fan would dislike Serena because she kicked the shit out of Maria in the 07 Australian Open final and has only lost one set to her since then. For a while their rivalry was pretty intense (04-07) and so was the rivalry between their fans, but now that A) Serena has established herself as the superior player and B) they've played only four times in the last four years there isn't a lot to feud about. And I'm sure there are certain fans that dislike the other player for other reasons. Sharapova's my favorite player, but I love Serena too.

RE: The Sharapova thing, I used to resent Maria for a long time actually, and to be quite honest it had little to nothing to actually do with Maria herself. It was more -- And I know it's been mentioned on the forum a number of times -- but the "Beat Serena, Wimbledon @ 17" thing. Every fanbase has suffered a tough loss or two, but I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that is the single most referenced match of all time by commentators and their ilk. Literally. Mary Carillo and Maria's biggest stan Tracy GOATstin sound like they're positively dripping at times when they mention it. I'm sure it stings still to have AO 07 thrown in your face as well, but at the very least commentators only bring that up when Serena comes back from a break, or a "don't count her out" lesson. Not in every single match she plays.

Oh, and another reason for the fights on TF is that Maria unfortunately has some of the more revolting little trolls who try and often successfully bait Serena fans (I'm looking at you Vikapower, Madmax & Sp!ffy)

Break My Rapture
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:01 PM
In a nutshell.

Stonerpova
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Im the first to say I didnt immediately like Maria but it really didnt have anything to do with her more so the media consistent need to proclaim her the "Next Serena".... when she wasnt. Im sure Maria fans didnt get a kick out of Serena saying Maria was overrated in People Magazine. I think over the last few years they havent played enough and quite frankly you cant really have "beef" with a fanbase when "their" player hasnt beaten Serena in YEARS. My biggest problem has been and will always be Justine and her cheating ways, but once again that doesnt have anything to do with her fan base well... I guess it kinda does if they try and defend her blantant bad sportmanship. (Which they are always doing..Justine was such a fantastic player its ashame she felt the need for all that extra)

The only time Serena has ever pissed me off. That and the 09 US Open incident, but that's a can of worms that does not need to be opened.

kiwifan
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I don't see any real beef just a few trolls starting trouble...I love Serena and have no problem with Pova, except when she's playing a Williams Sister...Pova hasn't done a thing to the Sisters that I can remember?

No reason for any drama other than bored trolls - come on Martians show your faces. :devil:

Jakeev
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:18 PM
If we are still posting here in 2021, I will imagine Laura Robson fans are gonna gun after Tornado Black fans and vice versa.

It's been going since this board started. The solution? Stop going into the threads......

Brad[le]y.
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I'm confused, three pages and no fighting? :scared:

If we are still posting here in 2021, I will imagine Laura Robson fans are gonna gun after Tornado Black fans and vice versa.
It's been going since this board started. The solution? Stop going into the threads......:spit:

serenafan08
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Irrelevant.

Did I miss that one? What had happened?

AcesHigh
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Irrelevant.

So true. A few bitter people became Serena only fans that day. But some Serena fans are nasty when it comes to Venus. Serenidad led and still does lead that troop on this forum.

The posts after that match :tape:

Anyways, I don't think there's much bad blood between Venus and Serena fans. Just a few posters that like to stir shit sometimes.

Jankovic-Ivanovic fans however....
.. or Serena-Justine

Aaron.
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Did I miss that one? What had happened? I want to know to.. cause that year Serenidad was on a rampage :o

Just Do It
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Serena and Maria fans used to be the worst when I joined forum in 2006 but in 2008 they were replaced with Ivanovic and Jankovic fans. Now we are looking for new rivarly between fans on tf, maybe Kvitova and Azarenka ?:devil:

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:43 PM
The posts after that match :tape:

Anyways, I don't think there's much bad blood between Venus and Serena fans. Just a few posters that like to stir shit sometimes.

Jankovic-Ivanovic fans however....
.. or Serena-Justine

Venus-Hingis is the rivalry that gets the ugliest the quickest, hands down.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Some gifs to make things easier to understand :awww:
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/_svetlio_/tennis/15ead5u.gif

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/_svetlio_/tennis/serenahenin.gif

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbdarbGNP91qd5c84.gif http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbdbodvaHx1qd5c84.gif

moemoe
Jul 11th, 2011, 10:06 PM
^ great explaination!!!

Andy.
Jul 11th, 2011, 10:37 PM
This is not going to be popular and In know there will probably be a lot of hate and backlash but I felt the need the right this.

My problem is not with Serena, it never has been, its with some of her extreamest fans/Maria haters. The two seem to come hand in hand.

There are a group of people that belong to Serena's fanbase (I dont need to name them) that write some really unneccisarily nasty things about Maria.

There isnt another group (sub group) on this forum that is more hostile, aggressive, arrogant, vengeful and jealous (when it comes to talking about Maria). I mean some of the language that is used by these people is downright nasty and vile, they remind me of hyena's going in for a feeding frenzy. What other group has a hit list :rolleyes: how arrogant and bitter is that?

It took me a long while to understand their hate because to me Serena has a great record against Maria and has handed her ass to her on more than one occasion. She even defeated her at Wimbledon. What more could you want? Obviously for some that isnt enough.

My theory on the matter revolves a lot around jealously. They dont like the fame/money/attention that Maria has gotten. They believe that Serena is the stand alone bright shining star of the women's game/women's sport. Maria has taken a chunk of the spotlight/money/publicity Serena once had all to herself (apart from Venus). They dont like it when commentators bring up Wimbledon 2004 or take about Maria favourably. To me that points to jealously. I cant think of any other reason? I mean its one thing to hate, people dont have to like who you like but this hate goes beyond that. It's deep seeded.

I may be wrong, and I'm not out to change people's mind about Maria. I would just like to know why that fairly sizable group of Serena fans have this unmatched and almost scary hate towards Maria (especially as Serena 'owns' Masha on court).

Novichok
Jul 11th, 2011, 10:47 PM
This is not going to be popular and In know there will probably be a lot of hate and backlash but I felt the need the right this.

My problem is not with Serena, it never has been, its with some of her extreamest fans/Maria haters. The two seem to come hand in hand.

There are a group of people that belong to Serena's fanbase (I dont need to name them) that write some really unneccisarily nasty things about Maria.

There isnt another group (sub group) on this forum that is more hostile, aggressive, arrogant, vengeful and jealous (when it comes to talking about Maria). I mean some of the language that is used by these people is downright nasty and vile, they remind me of hyena's going in for a feeding frenzy. What other group has a hit list :rolleyes: how arrogant and bitter is that?

It took me a long while to understand their hate because to me Serena has a great record against Maria and has handed her ass to her on more than one occasion. She even defeated her at Wimbledon. What more could you want? Obviously for some that isnt enough.

My theory on the matter revolves a lot around jealously. They dont like the fame/money/attention that Maria has gotten. They believe that Serena is the stand alone bright shining star of the women's game/women's sport. Maria has taken a chunk of the spotlight/money/publicity Serena once had all to herself (apart from Venus). They dont like it when commentators bring up Wimbledon 2004 or take about Maria favourably. To me that points to jealously. I cant think of any other reason? I mean its one thing to hate, people dont have to like who you like but this hate goes beyond that. It's deep seeded.

I may be wrong, and I'm not out to change people's mind about Maria. I would just like to know why that fairly sizable group of Serena fans have this unmatched and almost scary hate towards Maria (especially as Serena 'owns' Masha on court).

Internet hate ≠ Real life hate. Some Serena fans (myself included) are just a bit put off by the constant hype surrounding Pova. I think she's a talented, lovely and DULL woman.

Solitaire
Jul 11th, 2011, 10:50 PM
As a Serena fan my dislike for Maria has nothing to do with her beating Serena at Wimby. My dislike for her stems from other things. If I disliked every player that beat Serena she'd be my only fav and she's not. In life sometimes you don't like people for whatever reason and that's fine. However my dislike for Maria isn't so deep and delusional as to ignore her achievements. The one thing I do admire about Maria is her fighting spirit. No matter how bad things are she always fights.

Serena_Williams_
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Irrelevant.

could u tell me in short lines what happened there? :lol:

gc-spurs
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I don't see any real beef just a few trolls starting trouble...I love Serena and have no problem with Pova, except when she's playing a Williams Sister...Pova hasn't done a thing to the Sisters that I can remember?

No reason for any drama other than bored trolls - come on Martians show your faces. :devil:

Pretty sure she bangs the shit out of Serena every night, but nothing bad.

I'm confused, three pages and no fighting? :scared:

:spit:

The OP asked really nicely.

This thread made me think of two other threads in particular... WWW FO 2010 R3: Maria vs Justine, and to a lesser extent WWW USO 21010 R4 Maria vs Caro. Serena fans were so nice then :hearts::hearts: Maria did nothing to repay them.

Novichok
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Pretty sure she bangs the shit out of Serena every night, but nothing bad.

The OP asked really nicely.

This thread made me think of two other threads in particular... WWW FO 2010 R3: Maria vs Justine, and to a lesser extent WWW USO 21010 R4 Maria vs Caro. Serena fans were so nice then :hearts::hearts: Maria did nothing to repay them.

I'm sorry but I'm sure Serena is the top in that relationship.:lol:

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:18 PM

While that's true, it goes both ways. I won't name names(since you can just look at my other post for that :lol:) But certain bad apples in Maria's fanbase have attacked Serena nonstop for years. I can recall one currently banned member trolling one of her threads about her body image before being banned(don't remember what it is he said exactly,) not to mention a certain poster who was banned and allowed back on the site for claiming he would put a hit on her. I can recall going into Siberian Siren during Miami to show support for Maria in her comeback and having one poster see Serena in my sig and take the opportunity to attack her to try and get a reaction. I could write five paragraphs about how jealousy or intimidation or whathaveyou is the reason, but what it really comes down to is that trolls will be trolls. And more often than not there ARE people, probably even in larger numbers, who disagree, and like the other player, but are just less vocal about it because they don't feel like getting into an argument/having to constantly defend a player.

In the meantime, this will continue I guess until one retires and then comes back and few will care :shrug: That's pretty much what happened with Justine.

The Witch-king
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:19 PM
could u tell me in short lines what happened there? :lol:

Serena was serving up a break in the 3rd set of that match, hit what appeared to be a winning lob at either deuce or Advantage her. Venus took a little while to challenge and when she did the lob turned out to be out. Venus ended up breaking back and winning the match. After the match some Serena fans (led by Buttefrena who was known as TeAmWiLlIaMs at the time :lol:) accused Venus of being a cheater because of the delay in challenging that ball. I didn't really understand the controversy myself because that didn't seem to be a huge deal IMO, or maybe there was something I missed. :shrug:

Serena_Williams_
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Serena was serving up a break in the 3rd set of that match, hit what appeared to be a winning lob at either deuce or Advantage her. Venus took a little while to challenge and when she did the lob turned out to be out. Venus ended up breaking back and winning the match. After the match some Serena fans (led by Buttefrena who was known as TeAmWiLlIaMs at the time :lol:) accused Venus of being a cheater because of the delay in challenging that ball. I didn't really understand the controversy myself because that didn't seem to be a huge deal IMO, or maybe there was something I missed. :shrug:

Tnx for telling, i too don't see the problem in that but oh well it's the past so nvm

gc-spurs
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I'm sorry but I'm sure Serena is the top in that relationship.:lol:

Hear me out, hear me out.

I just think it would be too obvious if Serena was the dominant one. I bet they have a 'secret life of Maria and Serena' thing going on where they switch it up.

Or at least since Serena's been injured and only played a few matches, Maria's more conditioned for the time being and they can go back to normal once Serena has more matchplay cause you lose some of that instinct when you're just practising on your own as Maria often says.

slamchamp
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Maria and Serena fans dont hate each other as much as they used to.. you're late

Serenus Christ
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:48 PM
There isnt another group (sub group) on this forum that is more hostile, aggressive, arrogant, vengeful and jealous (when it comes to talking about Maria).

They're so jealous that Maria has ten less slams than Serena!
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnvz1gwMUv1qjnfl4.gif

Tennisation
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:55 PM
What a dumb question, everyone knows thing bout to get ugly when Maria snatch Serena's wig in the Wimby 04 final. That whole thing about Serena & Maria fans getting along well in recent times is BS. It's because Maria hasn't been relevant at the majors, wait til Maria's back to winning a slam and ya'll know shit's gonna go down again.

The Witch-king
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Tnx for telling, i too don't see the problem in that but oh well it's the past so nvm

Well I think it had a little do with Venus winning

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:25 AM

And also Classic TF blowing things way out of proportion. I bet Serena and Venus don't even remember that challenge, or that they even played eachother at Dubai MM at all :lol:

The Witch-king
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I'm surprised this thread is still open.

And also Classic TF blowing things way out of proportion. I bet Serena and Venus don't even remember that challenge, or that they even played eachother at Dubai MM at all :lol:

Naw i actually think Serena still hurts about that loss and laughs with Sasha about Venus's weaves and Eleven outfits while Venus calls Serena fat and criticises her for not winning WTA tournaments.

SV_Fan
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:05 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/popcorn_yes.gif

Williamsfan4ever
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:16 AM

exactly what i was thinking

Pops Maellard
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Ana fans VS JJ fans last year. :hearts:

KBlade
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:29 AM
What a dumb question, everyone knows thing bout to get ugly when Maria snatch Serena's wig in the Wimby 04 final. That whole thing about Serena & Maria fans getting along well in recent times is BS. It's because Maria hasn't been relevant at the majors, wait til Maria's back to winning a slam and ya'll know shit's gonna go down again.

Uh, you have been watching Tennis for the last 4 months right? Is making Finals and Semi's of majors not relevant anymore? :help:

serenaforever
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:32 AM

You're not exactly helping the whole drama situation either. ;)

Tennisation
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Uh, you have been watching Tennis for the last 4 months right? Is making Finals and Semi's of majors not relevant anymore? :help:We're talking in the span of the last couple of years after her shoulder injury, not just recently.

danieln1
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:42 AM

Don´t you think in 2008 was worse?? But at this years Indian Wells was quite funny also! Actually I miss them playing well, and those fights also :lol:

Pops Maellard
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:48 AM
^I wasn't on the forum in '08. :p

ampers&
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:56 AM

http://i35.tinypic.com/2q8r7yc.gif

For some reason the minute I saw the title of this thread, I knew I would see you post something like this. When did you become so pathetic? I mean...this is really sad. :sobbing: Get a hobby and stop caring so much. For your own sake.

Anyways, Mashabators vs. Reetards back in the day...:hearts:. I remember old arguments with The Pov. :crying2: Reetards vs. Justidiots arguments were pretty hilare as well. Oh and gotta love Jankobitches vs. Ivanobitches. Good stuff.

I don't remember the Reetards vs Veetards post Dubai showdown in '09. Maybe I was on hiatus then. :lol:

young_gunner913
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:10 AM

For some reason the minute I saw the title of this thread, I knew I would see you post something like this. When did you become so pathetic? I mean...this is really sad. :sobbing: Get a hobby and stop caring so much. For your own sake.

Exactly. :happy: I love how it comes down to being jealous and that it just can't be that there's people out there who don't like Martha. :lol:

Zvonapova
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I have no problem with Serena Williams. I respect her as one of the greatest to ever play.

Moveyourfeet
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:30 AM

Well Serena is 2ce the player Venus is and she was basically playing at 50% and spinning her serves in and Venus still managed to almost lose the match lol.

Brad[le]y.
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:01 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnvz1gwMUv1qjnfl4.gif:speakles:

SerenaClijsters
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:16 AM
It's the minority OP...what I realise from my time here is that most of the time there will either be a thread Maria or Serena related, or not even related to both at all. Then one Maria/Serena fan will bring Maria/Serena's name into the thread. Maria/Serena fan gets pissed, replies with "she beat your fav at 17/she has more slams than yr fave", thread then erupts with more fans coming to defend and haters coming to hate. Thread deviates from original discussion into "Maria/Serena is better/my bitch owns your bitch's ass". No worries, it's the usual few who try to stir up shit. I do not dislike Maria at all. She's a great and talented young lady.

:rolleyes: The Ivanovic/Jankovic one was pretty funny as well. The Jankovic fans laughing at Ivanovic fans after one unexpected Ivanovic beatdown or loss. Or Ivanovic fans mocking Jankovic for being slamless.

bandabou
Jul 12th, 2011, 06:49 AM
No beef...it used to be annoying when people kept bringing ' 04 Wimbledon up, but since then Serena has dominated Maria so thoroughly and put sooooo much distance between the two on the greatness scale, that Maria really shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

Kudos to Maria for her career rennaisance! :yeah:

Mikey.
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:12 AM

:spit: LOL

Steven.
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:30 AM
I don't know why people fail to respect BOTH of these elite players who are very good for the game. There will always be a few bad eggs, but it doesn't mean all of them are bad. Like in real life, you just avoid getting tangled in drama and messy situations by ignoring them (or try to most of the times...). :shrug:

Both women are amazing! :inlove:

$uricate
Jul 12th, 2011, 08:18 AM
There is no beef any longer.

Woz came along and attracted the hatred away from both fanbases :oh:

I like Maria and Serena.

KBlade
Jul 12th, 2011, 08:56 AM

Anyways, Mashabators vs. Reetards back in the day...:hearts:. I remember old arguments with The Pov. :crying2: Reetards vs. Justidiots arguments were pretty hilare as well. Oh and gotta love Jankobitches vs. Ivanobitches. Good stuff.

I don't remember the Reetards vs Veetards post Dubai showdown in '09. Maybe I was on hiatus then. :lol:

THIS. LOL. :happy:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 12th, 2011, 10:09 AM
The Reetard/Mashabator/Veenut/Justidiot rivalry was much more entertaining than any of the new generation's fan-rivalry. The new players and their fans are boring robots.

Steven.
Jul 12th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Still entertaining than any of the new generation's fan-rivalry, by far.

Only because there is none. :o

bandabou
Jul 12th, 2011, 10:20 AM
The Reetard/Mashabator/Veenut/Justidiot rivalry was much more entertaining than any of the new generation's fan-rivalry.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 12th, 2011, 10:26 AM
good times :lol:

Smitten
Jul 12th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Hingis fans sure keep other hating stanbases extremely pressed but particularly Graf and Venus stans. They're always mad over the legend.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 12th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Gurl, you are just too much:
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/_svetlio_/tennis/34o592o.gif

I should sit down and take a deep breath:
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/_svetlio_/tennis/2whe6gzjpg.gif

P.S. http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/_svetlio_/tennis/v3lpo2jpg.gif

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:22 PM
The Reetard/Mashabator/Veenut/Justidiot rivalry was much more entertaining than any of the new generation's fan-rivalry. The new players and their fans are boring robots.

But we have :inlove: Wozniacki vs Azarenka :inlove:

The Witch-king
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Why have you been posting on this forum since 2006 if you don't care about the effect of your words

Pump-it-UP
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I need links to this Dubai '09 aftermath that some of you are speaking of. :lol:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I need links to this Dubai '09 aftermath that some of you are speaking of. :lol:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=371469

Its been cleaned up a little bit LOT by the mods.

Olórin
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:53 PM
No beef in this rivalry, only bagels and breadstick :oh:

Pump-it-UP
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:02 PM
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=371469

Its been cleaned up a little bit LOT by the mods.
I can't believe I just read all 30 pages of that... :lol: Some total gems in there though. The 2011 stan wars could NEVER. :worship:

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM
But we have :inlove: Wozniacki vs Azarenka :inlove:Everyone is ready for the Caro-Vika battles in GM

http://pcgamingcenter.ugo.com/images/pc-game-mods/rome-total-war-game-mod.jpg

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Everyone is ready for the Caro-Vika battles in GM

More like

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/13/article-0-0667E649000005DC-392_468x286.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2674/3931884948_3b7cdf99a4.jpg

Steven.
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Everyone is ready for the Caro-Vika battles in GM

I think Kvitova-Wozniacki is more likely. Vika is owned by the both of them. :o

Break My Rapture
Jul 12th, 2011, 03:28 PM
More like

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/13/article-0-0667E649000005DC-392_468x286.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2674/3931884948_3b7cdf99a4.jpg
There's barely people in the stands. :spit:

Serenita
Jul 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Once Caro wins a slam, then her stans are gonna go on a rampage:lol: Imagine that.
Caro win Uso 2012, beating PooVa and Vika back to back.:tape:

goldenlox
Jul 12th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I see a crowd

http://cdn.wn.com/ph/img/4c/5e/2981edd97a24a7c4a69fdf81cf30-grande.jpg

harloo
Jul 12th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Irrelevant.

I just love how Venus only fans are so passive aggressive and pretend as if they can tolerate Serena when they hate her. I remember how it was all kumbaya between Serena and Venus fans when Vee was on top winning and beating Serena. Soon as she won her second slam defeating Vee at the French and then at Wimbledon she was called everything but a child of GOD. :lol: Some of those neutral Williams fans turned on Serena calling her the devil.:tape:

AcesHigh
Jul 12th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I can't believe I just read all 30 pages of that... :lol: Some total gems in there though. The 2011 stan wars could NEVER. :worship:

All the best posts were deleted I think. It got really nasty :lol:

2moretogo
Jul 12th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Irrelevant.

This. That thread and subsequent comments have been casket worthy. :sob:

harloo
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I don't know why people fail to respect BOTH of these elite players who are very good for the game. There will always be a few bad eggs, but it doesn't mean all of them are bad. Like in real life, you just avoid getting tangled in drama and messy situations by ignoring them (or try to most of the times...). :shrug:

Both women are amazing! :inlove:

My disdain towards Maria has little to do with her personality or anything she's done but more so the ridiculous hype surrounding her emergence. While she played a great final at Wimbledon it was never acknowledged that Serena barely scraped through to the finals and was just returning from knee surgery. The smug attitudes and jubilation of the American tennis community when Serena was defeated by Maria at Wimbledon stands out to me more than any other match.

I understand that Serena can't win them all and their will always be rivals who defeat her. The loss didn't bother me as much, of course I wanted her to win but it was what Maria represented for them that annoyed the hell out of me.

Steven.
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:19 PM
My disdain towards Maria has little to do with her personality or anything she's done but more so the ridiculous hype surrounding her emergence. While she played a great final at Wimbledon it was never acknowledged that Serena barely scraped through to the finals and was just returning from knee surgery. The smug attitudes and jubilation of the American tennis community when Serena was defeated by Maria at Wimbledon stands out to me more than any other match.

I understand that Serena can't win them all and their will always be rivals who defeat her. The loss didn't bother me as much, of course I wanted her to win but it was what Maria represented for them that annoyed the hell out of me.

I think I know how you feel, because I feel similarly to Kvitova (long before Wimbledon, mind you). I really dislike the hype around her, even though I do recognise that she is a very talented ball striker.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I think I know how you feel, because I feel similarly to Kvitova (long before Wimbledon, mind you). I really dislike the hype around her, even though I do recognise that she is a very talented ball striker.

Its not even the hype, its what she stands for , for the media (especially American). Most of us don't dislike Sharapova as a person or a tennis player, she has done nothing to warrant it.

Steven.
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Its not even the hype, its what she stands for , for the media (especially American). Most of us don't dislike Sharapova as a person or a tennis player, she has done nothing to warrant it.

I don't know what you two are getting at then about the American media. Can you please elaborate? I'm genuinely curious.

The Witch-king
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I just love how Venus only fans are so passive aggressive and pretend as if they can tolerate Serena when they hate her. I remember how it was all kumbaya between Serena and Venus fans when Vee was on top winning and beating Serena. Soon as she won her second slam defeating Vee at the French and then at Wimbledon she was called everything but a child of GOD. :lol: Some of those neutral Williams fans turned on Serena calling her the devil.:tape:

Are you seriously holding onto stuff from 2002 :unsure:

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I don't know what you two are getting at then about the American media. Can you please elaborate? I'm genuinely curious.

I suppose I'll try to take a stab at this, but it's hard to really explain accurately. For one thing it's not a big secret that Serena hasn't been a media darling in the tennis world, especially not in the US. I can't say what it was like in other parts of the world, but here in the US if you saw Serena's name in a newspaper, it was more often than not criticism. Criticism for her dominating the tour, making it "boring"(though it wasn't a problem when Golden Flower Juju Heng did it in 07) criticism for so-called "diva" behavior, even criticism for her deciding not to go back to Indian Wells. Not to mention criticism of the Williams family as a whole for their perceived lack of support for the USTA, other things like "family decision" gate which some people still believe to this day, and so on. She was essentially an enemy of the media.

At this point people in general were getting tired of her getting back at them by dominating the tour. I remember the crowds being tremendously in favor of Kim at the AO, and Justine at the FO to defeat her finally. Justine succeeded, but then Serena went on to win the next slam anyway, so it seemed like the Serena era was not going to let up. There was some relief when Christine stepped forth and won USO/AO in her absence, though it wasn't quite the same as someone "dethroning" her, in a slam final, which was what a certain 17 year old would do in 2004. At that point it didn't matter that Serena was just coming back from injury, or that she played well below standard in the final, or before. Tennis was saved, and by a young, pretty thin blond to boot. The media was just glowing with delight, and the rest is history really. To many, it's not Maria personally that they don't like, but that the tennis media made her out to be the "savior" to banish TyrantRena from the throne. There you have it, that's the best I can put it, really.

I personally felt with way for years, until around 2008 when I realized they do this with varying degrees to every player that beats Serena(Wasn't Vika supposed to be dominating the slams by now, for beating Serena in Miami?) and that I personally liked Maria's game(when she's on anyway) that I could move on. Maria just happened to be the only player that managed it in a slam final.

The Witch-king
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:07 PM

Especially since the poster you quoted isn't American

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:19 PM

I think Chris Williams summed it up perfectly.

I suppose I'll try to take a stab at this, but it's hard to really explain accurately. For one thing it's not a big secret that Serena hasn't been a media darling in the tennis world, especially not in the US. I can't say what it was like in other parts of the world, but here in the US if you saw Serena's name in a newspaper, it was more often than not criticism. Criticism for her dominating the tour, making it "boring"(though it wasn't a problem when Golden Flower Juju Heng did it in 07) criticism for so-called "diva" behavior, even criticism for her deciding not to go back to Indian Wells. Not to mention criticism of the Williams family as a whole for their perceived lack of support for the USTA, other things like "family decision" gate which some people still believe to this day, and so on. She was essentially an enemy of the media.

At this point people in general were getting tired of her getting back at them by dominating the tour. I remember the crowds being tremendously in favor of Kim at the AO, and Justine at the FO to defeat her finally. Justine succeeded, but then Serena went on to win the next slam anyway, so it seemed like the Serena era was not going to let up. There was some relief when Christine stepped forth and won USO/AO in her absence, though it wasn't quite the same as someone "dethroning" her, in a slam final, which was what a certain 17 year old would do in 2004. At that point it didn't matter that Serena was just coming back from injury, or that she played well below standard in the final, or before. Tennis was saved, and by a young, pretty thin blond to boot. The media was just glowing with delight, and the rest is history really. To many, it's not Maria personally that they don't like, but that the tennis media made her out to be the "savior" to banish TyrantRena from the throne. There you have it, that's the best I can put it, really.

I personally felt with way for years, until around 2008 when I realized they do this with varying degrees to every player that beats Serena(Wasn't Vika supposed to be dominating the slams by now, for beating Serena in Miami?) and that I personally liked Maria's game(when she's on anyway) that I could move on. Maria just happened to be the only player that managed it in a slam final.

Especially since the poster you quoted isn't American

I was living in NYC during 03-04 :shrug:

Olórin
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:29 PM

Perhaps it's just the American media that goes so over the top. Because while I feel Serena has gotten more than her fair share of criticism over the years I've never felt anything like this level of vindictiveness towards her.

When I was watching Wimbledon in 2005 the 2004 Final was talked about and several times the "pundits" qualified their praise of Maria with "of course Serena wasn't at her best".

If you are passionate and love something the chances are you will notice the media trash it and feel indignant. I have experienced this with many of my passions, not only Serena - who has of course been unfairly criticised on numerous occasions. But it's not as if it's entirely negative, I've read many articles by the likes of Tracy Austin, Pam Shriver and Bud Collins praising the pants off Serena over the years.

We shouldn't let a few biased shit-bags (Carillo,) and outlets (Daily Mail, various blogs etc.) spoil the tennis world for us.

moemoe
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Chris Williams! Wow this is like the answer I've been searching for.

Steven.
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:35 PM

That makes complete sense. I wasn't an avid tennis fan back then and only followed the Australian season, so I only had a hunch of what things are like. Also the issue was probably solely in America because both Maria and Serena are American citizens, as I've never actually come across this topic. The only thing I was aware of was the Indian Wells drama, but nothing else outside that.

That is quite harsh though. I can understand that 'boredom' can be a result of complete domination, but it is quite curious as to why they only criticised Serena, and not Justine (although she had never dominated the slams as much as Serena had). Honestly though, what was she supposed to do? Start losing slams to get approval from the press/media? It's pretty disgusting to see such amount of hatred for anyone. The criticism doesn't even seem warranted. I assume that there was never any large criticism ANYWHERE for Federer during the peak-Fed era?

Also, it is pretty ironic that Serena gets criticised for making the tour 'boring'. Her diva-like personality brings so much life to the tour, and admittedly, any other player from her generation dominating would make the tour even more boring that it supposedly is/was. In fact, I was over the moon when I heard she was coming back for the grass season this year. I honestly think we need champions like her.

That being said, it makes me sad that Sharapova is disliked because of this. She had no control over the press, and it's not like she became a champion and defeated Serena to represent the notion of ending Serena's reign. But I can understand why there is intense dislike though, even though it may seem irrational.

starin
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:42 PM

:bowdown:
It was really gross to see how badly the american tennis media wanted Sharapova to dethrone Serena. The way the British media loses their mind for Murray was how the American media was with Sharapova. In reality though, Henin was actually the biggest threat to Serena but I think the "rivalry" was always Serena/pova cuz the media wanted it to be that way.

Gdsimmons
Jul 12th, 2011, 06:11 PM

:worship::worship:
These two posts sum up everything pretty well. Its too bad I must 'spread reputation' before giving it to either of you again. You both summed it up. Even though I think Maria has no personality and no emotions, I have no problem with her. Its just the fact that the media (especially circa 04) built her to be the next great white hope. It was like they finally have someone to thwart Serena. But as the past 7 years have shown they were wrong.

bandabou
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:21 PM
And that was the biggest mistake they could've made..they put Maria on Serena's list, Maria's celebration at the YEC didn't help things either, and the rest is history. Serena made sure to NEVER lose to Masha again..and every chance she got to totally humiliate Masha.

Just because of it. :lol:

Excelscior
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Also the media criticized Serena and Venus (along with everything Chris Williams said), for not taking Tennis seriously-by having Part Time Tennis/design careers, taking design classes, outside business ventures, not playing many tournaments as pro's, sparse junior careers, trying to make their father seem weird-when he wasn't, their various hiatus from tennis, etc.

All this was piled on top of the climate Chris Williams described over the years.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Also the media criticized Serena and Venus (with everything Chris Williams said), for not taking Tennis seriously-by having Part Time designing careers, taking design classes, outside business ventures, not playing many tournaments, taking time away from tennis, etc.

A.K.A for having a life.

bandabou
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:46 PM
:lol: And ironically...the ones who breathed, drank, lived, cried, tennis...all are gone. ain't it something?

doomsday
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:47 PM
And that was the biggest mistake they could've made..they put Maria on Serena's list, Maria's celebration at the YEC didn't help things either, and the rest is history. Serena made sure to NEVER lose to Masha again..and every chance she got to totally humiliate Masha.

I agree and clearly it helped Serena's case so I can't understand why after 7 years you guys can't get over that and I won't even comment the celebration part at the YEC, I mean, have you seen Serena's celebration after winning OZ SF and saving mpoints she was jumping in front of Maria:rolleyes:

slydevil6142
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I agree and clearly it helped Serena's case so I can't understand why after 7 years you guys can't get over that and I won't even comment the celebration part at the YEC, I mean, have you seen Serena's celebration after winning OZ SF and saving mpoints she was jumping in front of Maria:rolleyes:
Key words "Saved Match Points"... I would be jumping up and down to These two matches arent even comparable but nice try. Serena was CLEARLY injured in that season ending championship match. I wasnt really bothered by Marias celbration but I loved how Serena simply laughed at Maria's show and rolled her eyes.... Maria's last victory as well.. Im just sayin. :tape:

Excelscior
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:56 PM
:lol: And ironically...the ones who breathed, drank, lived, cried, tennis...all are gone. ain't it something?

Obviously Richard Williams and Oracene Price, knew what they were doing/had a formula for longevity. Lol.

kiwifan
Jul 12th, 2011, 08:02 PM

Well said/posted. :angel:

doomsday
Jul 12th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Key words "Saved Match Points"... I would be jumping up and down to These two matches arent even comparable but nice try. Serena was CLEARLY injured in that season ending championship match. I wasnt really bothered by Marias celbration but I loved how Serena simply laughed at Maria's show and rolled her eyes.... Maria's last victory as well.. Im just sayin. :tape:

Serena was 4-0 up in the last set, even though she was injured Maria made a nice comeback and it's quite huge to win YEC after your first participation but whatever.

Serenita
Jul 12th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I dont like her mannerism i think she's cold and seems not really enjoyable to be around. As for Yec and Wimbledon, PooVa was lucky. Serena was coming off an injury, knee surgery, depression was setting ( Death from Yetunde) so that didnt bother me that much(her losing) and of course YEC was that awfull abdomen strain which was sad.

bandabou
Jul 12th, 2011, 08:23 PM

Maria wasn't injured in '05, was she?! :shrug:

But anyways...Serena already made her point loud and clear. No need to talk about begones. :lol:

Mistress of Evil
Jul 12th, 2011, 09:39 PM

While its not up to discussion that Maria is Rena's bitch, its a known fact :shrug: even Maria, herself, has said that the span of matches between her and Serena can hardly be called a rivalry :) the two 2007' encounter were beyond pathetic performances on Maria's side, both pure embarrassment :o I would hardly call the other matches total humiliations :confused: since in three of them were 3-setter in which Sharapova held setpoints/matchpoints :wavey:

Stamp Paid
Jul 12th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Irrelevant.

Everyone knows that the fan war to end all fan wars is the one between Venus and Serena fans. What went down after the Dubai 09 SF will never be topped. NEVER. :sobbing:nvm. I read it all :lol:

Slutiana
Jul 12th, 2011, 10:32 PM

Yup. Hit the nail on the head.

Over the last 2 years she has become one of my favourite players, but back then I completely detested her for exactly those reasons.

I do think that this fanbase rivalry thing isn't anywhere near as big as it once was though. Nowadays any sane person accepts that Serena is by far the better and more accomplished player, and that's all there really was to this rivalry. There have never been any public incidents between the two to really create huge dislike between the two fanbases, unlike certain other rivals of Serena. Plus, I mean:

http://ph.cdn.photos.upi.com/view/d3e554148dcf67214a6c6f1ccc042449/Maria-Sharapova-and-Serena-Williams-attend-Arthur-Ashe-Kids-Day-in-New-York.jpghttp://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2009+Arthur+Ashe+Kids+Day+gzEWM3jkBYVl.jpg
:hearts:

Slutiana
Jul 12th, 2011, 10:44 PM
nvm. I read it all :lol:
My favourite post in that thread: http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=15052565&postcount=230 :sobbing:

VishaalMaria
Jul 12th, 2011, 10:48 PM
That Dubai SF post match thread was really something! All we needed was Serenaidad in that thread and it would have been perfection! Some of the comments, whether you like Serena or Venus or both were so funny!

Serenita
Jul 12th, 2011, 10:52 PM
My favourite post in that thread: http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=15052565&postcount=230 :sobbing:
:hysteric:

dsanders06
Jul 12th, 2011, 11:00 PM

While all this is probably true, you neglected to mention that all this celebration at Serena's perceieved downfall wasn't an unprovoked act: it was a REACTION to how Serena had acted when she was at the top. Her arrogance, her pronouncements that she was the best, her diva-like attitude and her lack of grace whenever she lost (saying she was ill / injured / not at her best / only lost because her opponent cheated). It's a natural human instinct to celebrate someone who was previously full of themselves when they fall down (as the UK can see with the current downfall of the Murdoch empire). You didn't see anywhere near as much open jubilation in the tennis community when Federer was toppled, because, when he was in his prime, he was far more down to earth and didn't feel the need to regularly make pronouncements that he was unbeatable at his best: he preferred to let his racquet do the talking. (Though admittedly he's become less gracious since Rafa overhauled him.)

Serena fans constantly say that they don't call her out on her arrogance and sour personality because it's apparently "part of what makes her so great", because it's part of establishing a psychological edge over her opponents...that's fine, but they can't then complain when ordinary people naturally root against her because of that arrogance and lack of likeability. You can't have it both ways. :shrug:

Also, people didn't say Serena dominating was boring per se, it was more people found the all-Williams finals God-awful (though, in fairness, that isn't Serena's fault ... indeed, if anyone's even slightly to blame for the low-quality finals, it's probably Venus).

Matt01
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:50 AM
A.K.A for having a life.

Oh, not that excuse again. :tape:
What's your excuse for Serena tanking the non-Slams left and right in the last few years?

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:06 AM
While all this is probably true, you neglected to mention that all this celebration at Serena's perceieved downfall wasn't an unprovoked act: it was a REACTION to how Serena had acted when she was at the top. Her arrogance, her pronouncements that she was the best, her diva-like attitude and her lack of grace whenever she lost (saying she was ill / injured / not at her best / only lost because her opponent cheated). It's a natural human instinct to celebrate someone who was previously full of themselves when they fall down (as the UK can see with the current downfall of the Murdoch empire). You didn't see anywhere near as much open jubilation in the tennis community when Federer was toppled, because, when he was in his prime, he was far more down to earth and didn't feel the need to regularly make pronouncements that he was unbeatable at his best: he preferred to let his racquet do the talking. (Though admittedly he's become less gracious since Rafa overhauled him.)

You're nuts; Federer's openly expressed disdain towards Nadal's game:

"He's quite one-dimensional with his game," Federer said of Nadal’s game. "After Dubai, I thought I actually saw the way I should play against him. The more I play him, the better it is for me."

http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2006-04-23/d.php

He's accused Djokovic of "giving up":

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7853693.stm

On ow you can win on clay with an "incomplete game":

Q: “I feel more of a man,” you said after winning your first Roland Garros in your fourth consecutive final.

A: Why hasn’t clay been as easy for me as the other surfaces? Why haven’t I been as dominant? It’s because on the other surfaces I can play my game without thinking. Everything happens naturally: I can go from defense to attack when and how I want. On clay you don’t need a volley or a serve. You just need legs, an incredible forehand and backhand, and to run after every ball. I’m not trying to take anything from Rafa: he has been successful in other surfaces as well. But on clay you can get away, you can be competitive even with a very incomplete game.

http://gototennis.com/2010/05/10/roger-federer-interview-rafa-would-crush-my-dreams/

Can you imagine if Serena hinted that Justine was so successful on clay because you don't need to be as good on clay to win as other surfaces? This board would crash and burn.

From 2006:

“I have beaten good players on clay . . . For some players it is impossible to win Wimbledon, for others to win the French Open. Me, however, I am capable of winning all four grand slams.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article725435.ece

Want me to find more? Or do you want time to rationalize these quotes first?

Zvonapova
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:11 AM

I just have to say your sig pic is so awesome! LOL @ JJ making Mama Jankovic put all the heavy work into this thing they call travel ;)

KBlade
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:17 AM
Yup. Hit the nail on the head.

Over the last 2 years she has become one of my favourite players, but back then I completely detested her for exactly those reasons.

I do think that this fanbase rivalry thing isn't anywhere near as big as it once was though. Nowadays any sane person accepts that Serena is by far the better and more accomplished player, and that's all there really was to this rivalry. There have never been any public incidents between the two to really create huge dislike between the two fanbases, unlike certain other rivals of Serena. Plus, I mean:

http://ph.cdn.photos.upi.com/view/d3e554148dcf67214a6c6f1ccc042449/Maria-Sharapova-and-Serena-Williams-attend-Arthur-Ashe-Kids-Day-in-New-York.jpghttp://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2009+Arthur+Ashe+Kids+Day+gzEWM3jkBYVl.jpg

Is it just me, or is the top Maria is wearing in 2009 the EXACT same one Bartoli was wearing at Wimbledon this year, except white?

brickhousesupporter
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:51 AM

http://gototennis.com/2010/05/10/roger-federer-interview-rafa-would-crush-my-dreams/

Can you imagine if Serena hinted that Justine was so successful on clay because you don't need to be as good on clay to win as other surfaces? This board would crash and burn.

From 2006:

No need to....it is one of the biggest myths in the tennis world, that Federer is some gracious champion. He is one of the most arrogant SOBs the game has ever seen, but no one calls him on it. I don't mind his arrogance, but if you knock one player for it, you should apply it to all players.

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:02 AM
No need to....it is one of the biggest myths in the tennis world, that Federer is some gracious champion. He is one of the most arrogant SOBs the game has ever seen, but no one calls him on it. I don't mind his arrogance, but if you knock one player for it, you should apply it to all players.

Right, are you seriously trying to say Federer is more arrogant/less gracious/less down-to-earth/less unpleasant generally than Serena? :spit: SERIOUSLY? All those quotes that the poster dragged up would be positively tame by Serena's standards. He usually doesn't blame a tummyache if he loses a match, he doesn't say "I beat myself", he doesn't demand to be looked at as the favourite at every Slam he enters, he doesn't mock his rivals' achievements, he doesn't attribute defeats to "lucky shots" or bad linecalls or missed first-serves, he doesn't hold grudges over relatively trivial incidents for 8+ years, he doesn't say he was "only at 20% today; if I was at 100%, I would've won", he doesn't throw a strop if he's not put on Centre Court, he doesn't give the death stare to journalists who dare ask him a question when he's walking round the tournament grounds, he doesn't threaten to shove balls down line-judges' throats.....need I go on? Even if these things aren't issues to you, can you honestly say you don't understand why she's so widely reviled around the world? If you like her anyway, that's fine, but don't act surprised when people root against her because of these things.

gc-spurs
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:03 AM

Agreed. It irks me when people go on about what a humble and gracious guy he is which is BS. Just cause he's comparatively low key on court (and that's just cause he's in the drivers seat most of the time). he makes the most arrogant comments. I suppose he can cause he's the GOAT (even though its disrespectful to others), but it's ignored and he is still portrayed in an innaccurate light.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Right, are you seriously trying to say Federer is more arrogant/less gracious/less down-to-earth/less unpleasant generally than Serena? :spit: SERIOUSLY? All those quotes that the poster dragged up would be positively tame by Serena's standards. He usually doesn't blame a tummyache if he loses a match, he doesn't say "I beat myself", he doesn't demand to be looked at as the favourite at every Slam he enters, he doesn't mock his rivals' achievements, he doesn't attribute defeats to "lucky shots" or bad linecalls or missed first-serves, he doesn't hold grudges over relatively trivial incidents for 8+ years, he doesn't say he was "only at 20% today; if I was at 100%, I would've won", he doesn't throw a strop if he's not put on Centre Court, he doesn't give the death stare to journalists who dare ask him a question when he's walking round the tournament grounds, he doesn't threaten to shove balls down line-judges' throats.....need I go on? Even if these things aren't issues to you, can you honestly say you don't understand why she's so widely reviled around the world? If you like her anyway, that's fine, but don't act surprised when people root against her because of these things.

Of course not. he just calls his biggest rival one dimensional, says you don't need a complete game to win on clay, and describes himself as unbeatable.

``I got better and better as the season went on,'' Federer said. ``I was able to bounce back and was on a roll. (Winning in) Paris and Wimbledon showed that I was unbeatable. I can do it again. That's a good feeling to have, that I can do it again.''

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/Roger-Federer-says-he-can-be-unbeatable-again-21465993

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:20 AM

From 2006:

Roger and Serena. Arrogant and "classless" :inlove:

Jane Lane
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:22 AM
How the fuck did Fed come up in this thread? :spit:
TF: Six Degrees of Separation - Serena/Maria to Ana/JJ to Fed/Serena.
All roads lead to Serena.

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Of course not. he just calls his biggest rival one dimensional, says you don't need a complete game to win on clay, and describes himself as unbeatable.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/Roger-Federer-says-he-can-be-unbeatable-again-21465993

You'll notice in my original post that I said Federer has got more arrogant in recent years. But in any case, none of this comes close to Serena. Plus, when Federer lost at Wimbledon, he said that he himself had "played great" despite losing, but that Tsonga played even better; has Serena ever made similar comments to this after losing a match at a Slam? She always makes HERSELF the focus of her explanations of why she loses.

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:24 AM
How the fuck did Fed come up in this thread? :spit:
TF: Six Degrees of Separation

I briefly alluded to Federer as a comparison point in a post about why Serena was so unpopular. So the Serena fans decided to pick up on one tiny detail instead of addressing the main point, regarding Serena's poor sportsmanship (because they know they can't deny it?).

starin
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:30 AM

From 2006:

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llxdmlbHLD1qb6jw0o1_500.gif

damn with links and everything.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:33 AM
You'll notice in my original post that I said Federer has got more arrogant in recent years. But in any case, none of this comes close to Serena. Plus, when Federer lost at Wimbledon, he said that he himself had "played great" despite losing, but that Tsonga played even better; has Serena ever made similar comments to this after losing a match at a Slam? She always makes HERSELF the focus of her explanations of why she loses.

I fail to see how literally calling yourself unbeatable, with no qualifiers, can be topped by any statement, of any sort.

In your fantasy land, saying "no one can beat me" is better than saying "she beat me because I played horribly"? Really?

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:34 AM
I briefly alluded to Federer as a comparison point in a post about why Serena was so unpopular. So the Serena fans decided to pick up on one tiny detail instead of addressing the main point, regarding Serena's poor sportsmanship (because they know they can't deny it?).

Federer's my favorite male player. I have no problem with him saying what he says, nor do I Serena.

It just irks me when numbnuts justify anti Serena sentiment with her "arrogance" when perhaps the most popular tennis player of all time says arrogant things all the time.

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:39 AM
I fail to see how literally calling yourself unbeatable, with no qualifiers, can be topped by any statement, of any sort.

In your fantasy land, saying "no one can beat me" is better than saying "she beat me because I played horribly"? Really?

Oh for God's sake, if you read his comments in context he's not saying "no-one is going to beat me this season" :rolleyes: He's simply saying he was playing extremely well at Wimbledon and RG the previous year; if you take what he says literally, it's meaningless (he only says no-one could beat at those two specific tournaments in that year - which obviously is true).

Serena has said on many occasions that "when I'm at my best, no-one can beat me". If you can find a quote of Federer saying that - actually saying that, not your manipulated interpretation discarding the context - then we'll talk.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Oh for God's sake, if you read his comments in context he's not saying "no-one is going to beat me this season" :rolleyes: He's simply saying he was playing extremely well at Wimbledon and RG the previous year; if you take what he says literally, it's meaningless (he only says no-one could beat at those two specific tournaments in that year - which obviously is true).

So anyone who wins a tournament is "unbeatable"?

I like how you didn't even address the Nadal comments.

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:03 AM
I don't know how this topic became about Roger, but I should mention that A) He's my favorite male player of all time. B) I love him for being a shady bitch :inlove: And I'm probably alone on this one, but his arrogance is a little sexy :tape:

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:06 AM
I don't know how this topic became about Roger, but I should mention that A) He's my favorite male player of all time. B) I love him for being a shady bitch :inlove: And I'm probably alone on this one, but his arrogance is a little sexy :tape:

I'd take Roger over Nadull.:tape::tape:

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:08 AM

Serena has said on many occasions that "when I'm at my best, no-one can beat me". If you can find a quote of Federer saying that - actually saying that, not your manipulated interpretation discarding the context - then we'll talk.

Isn't he saying that he's unbeatable at those two tournaments(implying that he was at his best)?

Stamp Paid
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:23 AM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llxdmlbHLD1qb6jw0o1_500.gif

damn with links and everything.:lol::lol:
Yes, receipts on deck :lol:

AcesHigh
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Federer's my favorite male player. I have no problem with him saying what he says, nor do I Serena.

It just irks me when numbnuts justify anti Serena sentiment with her "arrogance" when perhaps the most popular tennis player of all time says arrogant things all the time.

All the time? No, of course not. The man is interviewed millions of times and the number of times he gives ABSOLUTE praise and credit to fellow players dwarfs the times that he makes "arrogant" statements.

The two players are not even comparable.

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:59 AM

:haha: :rolls: Because they ALWAYS put him either on CC or court no.1. Wait for the day they put him on court no.2, then we'll talk. Federer has taken plenty shots at Nadal in the past, don't act stupid like you don't know.. Besides it's good to hold to grudges. You don't dwell on it, but you never forget.

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Also, people didn't say Serena dominating was boring per se, it was more people found the all-Williams finals God-awful (though, in fairness, that isn't Serena's fault ... indeed, if anyone's even slightly to blame for the low-quality finals, it's probably Venus).

Blah blah blah...and the all-Belgian and all-Russian finals were all-time classics, huh?! :lol:

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Besides when Roger is not only Nadal's bitch, is Djokovic's bitch and even Murray's bitch at the non-slams. Well, how could he possibly talk about his best this, his best that? Would only look like a fool. :lol:

Zvonapova
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Wait wait...I can take you guys flaming on Masha a little (even though it stings), but leave King Fed out of this lol

SerenaClijsters
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:09 AM
dsanders06 is back and finally showing his true colors again...after a year long of Serena bashing in 2010 he went back into hiding when Serena was injured and out of the game...not surprising to see him back :lol:

How did this turn into a Fed discussion...lol GM posters :hearts:

Zvonapova
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Besides when Roger is not only Nadal's bitch, is Djokovic's bitch and even Murray's bitch at the non-slams. Well, how could he possibly talk about his best this, his best that? Would only look like a fool. :lol:

Not trying to totally dissolve this into an ATP discussion, but I believe the last time Fed saw Djoker he sent him and his record packing :lol: The only player who can truly claim dominance over Fed is Nadull.

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:14 AM

Roger is not Djokovic's bitch and he's beaten Murray in straight sets in 2 slam finals. He's only Nadal's bitch on clay. Too bad Rafa is not as good on hard courts as Roger is on clay. Peak Roger could beat anyone. :wavey:

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Oh, not that excuse again. :tape:
What's your excuse for Serena tanking the non-Slams left and right in the last few years?

Ah Matty enough already with the tanking blah blah. :(:mad:
Roger hasn't won a thing in almost a year now, but don't hear nobody talk about him tanking?! :shrug:

As Serena has grown older, her body has found it more difficult to peak on cosecutive days...what's needed for the regular events. The day-off at majors is perfect for her. Besides it ain't like Serena is losing 1st round at all regular events. Has made her share of SF's and F's, no?!

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Not trying to totally dissolve this into an ATP discussion, but I believe the last time Fed saw Djoker he sent him and his record packing :lol: The only player who can truly claim dominance over Fed is Nadull.

Ah one win...it's all it takes. :lol: ;)

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Roger is not Djokovic's bitch and he's beaten Murray in straight sets in 2 slam finals. He's only Nadal's bitch on clay. Too bad Rafa is not as good on hard courts as Roger is on clay. Peak Roger could beat anyone. :wavey:

Outside of the majors, his h2h to Murray ain't pretty. Just as I said, no? :shrug:

Well..Nadal has beaten Roger at Wimby, at Oz open (pathetic crying display...:facepalm: :o ), soo..

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:29 AM

14-9 overall and 5-3 in majors does not a bitch make. :rolleyes:

young_gunner913
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Outside of the majors, his h2h to Murray ain't pretty. Just as I said, no? :shrug:

Well..Nadal has beaten Roger at Wimby, at Oz open (pathetic crying display...:facepalm: :o ), soo..

VERY pathetic. Even Rafa was embarrassed for him. :lol:

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:37 AM
VERY pathetic. Even Rafa was embarrassed for him. :lol:

Those tears were anything but pathetic. It shows his passion for the game and his disappointment in losing that god-awful match.

Zvonapova
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:49 AM

Hmmm Let's try the way Fed b*tchsmacked him on the way to the 2007 and 2008 U.S. Open Championship. Or the way he marched through him at the ATP finals last year I see you're caught up in Djokovic's "Flavor of the month" hype this year and have either forgotten or ignored tennis history. Fed has traditionally done well against Djokovic and this year's French Open proved that once again. Sorry, try again lol.

Zvonapova
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Hmmm Let's try the way Fed b*tchsmacked him on the way to the 2007 and 2008 U.S. Open Championship. Or the way he marched through him at the ATP finals last year I see you're caught up in Djokovic's "Flavor of the month" hype this year and have either forgotten or ignored tennis history. Fed has traditionally done well against Djokovic and this year's French Open proved that once again. Sorry, try again lol.

Oh, and I forgot the way he beat him down in the semifinal to get to the 2009 U.S. Open final as well. Doing trick shots on the court like it was an exhibition match or something :lol:

Zvonapova
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:52 AM

Any professional ATP or WTA player will tell you - the Majors are all that matter. Hell, Serena knows it...that's all she'll play lol.

Steven.
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:53 AM

:hearts::drool:

also how did potentially good discussion turn into a shitfest and then ATP discussion in a few hours? Only on GM...

young_gunner913
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:56 AM
http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=1423517&t=o

Those tears were anything but pathetic. It shows his passion for the game and his disappointment in losing that god-awful match.

Please. He was bitter and pissed because he had hyped himself up mentally to tie daddy Sampras' slam count. He was expecting to be lifting the trophy and his greater defeated him yet again.

http://media.cleveland.com/cavs_impact/photo/9363657-small.jpg

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:01 AM

Please. He was bitter and pissed because he had hyped himself up mentally to tie daddy Sampras' slam count. He was expecting to be lifting the trophy and his greater defeated him yet again.

Well most players are upset when they lose a match. I don't know what world you're living in but in the real world Fed has no greater.

young_gunner913
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:09 AM
Well most players are upset when they lose a match. I don't know what world you're living in but in the real world Fed has no greater.

Achievement wise yes, but I don't see how he's the best when there's a player who's beaten him 14 times, beaten him in 6 slam finals, can be considered his lesser. It's only a matter of time before Federer can't even claim his achievements. I'll give you some time to come to terms as well, I'll be there for you.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/gingergirl25/roger%20federer/rogicourier.gif?t=1242170795

Stamp Paid
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Maria just annoys me sometimes. I'm over the Wimbledon 2004 stuff.
She loses when I want her to win. And wins when I want her to lose. :lol:
And I dont like players who compete so well against Serena when they usually play like crap, and Maria did that at Wimbledon last year. Venus does that too, Stosur, Jankovic, etc.

Brad[le]y.
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:15 AM
LMAO, I should get a bag of popcorn and watch you guys argue :spit:

We're miles off topic now :dance:

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Achievement wise yes, but I don't see how he's the best when there's a player who's beaten him 14 times, beaten him in 6 slam finals, can be considered his lesser. It's only a matter of time before Federer can't even claim his achievements. I'll give you some time to come to terms as well, I'll be there for you.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj282/gingergirl25/roger%20federer/rogicourier.gif?t=1242170795

It's only a matter of time before Nadull's geriatric knees won't allow him to win any slams. He'll still have his looks/ass though. Isn't that why he has fans anyway?;)

Serenita
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:24 AM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm6zp1iaQN1qzgfyn.gif

Brad[le]y.
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:25 AM
It's only a matter of time before Nadull's geriatric knees won't allow him to win any slams. He'll still have his looks/ass though. Isn't that why he has fans anyway?;)By this post I can assume you enjoyed the Wimbledon final :lol:

young_gunner913
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:34 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm6zp1iaQN1qzgfyn.gif

Come for me girl.

http://i46.tinypic.com/b4xhn9.gif

Serenita
Jul 13th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Come for me girl.

http://i46.tinypic.com/b4xhn9.gif

Hold on to you weave!

http://i53.tinypic.com/ckeg6.jpg

Caralenko
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Ffs. Non-Serena-Stan Martha haters never get any credit.

Where is Ferg when I need him.

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:07 AM

:lol: I guess I just got carried away with the 3 wins in a row to start the year.
It was Nadal that Roger can't beat. Oops! ;)

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:08 AM

It was pathetic. Specially when everybody already sees him as Nadal's bitch. :o:rolleyes:

Mashabator
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:08 AM

Lachy
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:10 AM
And I dont like players who compete so well against Serena when they usually play like crap, and Maria did that at Wimbledon last year. Venus does that too, Stosur, Jankovic, etc.

I think everyone is the same on this note about their own faves. Nothing annoys me more than this, but it's part of the game I guess :lol:

young_gunner913
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Hold on to you weave!

http://i53.tinypic.com/ckeg6.jpg

Recycling that gif? :o I knew you had no morals.

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv137/psp358/gifs/tanisha-swallow.gif

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:13 AM
It was pathetic. Specially when everybody already sees him as Nadal's bitch. :o:rolleyes:

BYE. His tears were cute and authentic unlike "humble" Rafito. Roger still has more talent in one teardrop than Nadull has in his entire big ass.:kiss:

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:20 AM
:worship: General Mess :worship:

BYE. His tears were cute and authentic unlike "humble" Rafito. Roger still has more talent in one teardrop than Nadull has in his entire big ass.:kiss:

This :sobbing: Don't insult the ass though, it's the one part of Rafa I can tolerate :lick:

Zvonapova
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:27 AM
:lol: I guess I just got carried away with the 3 wins in a row to start the year.

Sadly I can't argue that point lol. I still think the guy has a slam or two left in him. If someone takes Nadal out then he can still beat Djoker or Murray on any given day. This New version of Nole is definitely no pushover though. I can see him winning a few more slams as well.

Zvonapova
Jul 13th, 2011, 06:30 AM
:hearts::drool:

also how did potentially good discussion turn into a shitfest and then ATP discussion in a few hours? Only on GM...

BTW Masha and Serena are both looking pretty damn good in these pics lol.

Steven.
Jul 13th, 2011, 07:22 AM
:worship: General Mess :worship:

This :sobbing: Don't insult the ass though, it's the one part of Rafa I can tolerate :lick:

omg :facepalm: his constant butt-picking is so annoying! Every goddamn point he has to pick at his ass. :fiery:

duhcity
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Sadly I can't argue that point lol. I still think the guy has a slam or two left in him. If someone takes Nadal out then he can still beat Djoker or Murray on any given day. This New version of Nole is definitely no pushover though. I can see him winning a few more slams as well.

Losses in slams to Tsonga, Soderling, Berdych :oh:
Federer has one slam left max.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I don't know. I think it's great that it shows that even after winning as much as he has he still cares that much.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah, but there always comes someone eventually that gets the better of you. Borg stopped playing when McEnroe took over. At least Fed has the guts to stick around and keep on trying. And Djokovic now is the man that Nadal can't beat. None of these things takes anything away from all of their all time greatness. Eventually someone will come up from behind who has Djokovic' number as well. And the Fed vs Nadal h2h looks so bad for Fed because they played so many matches on clay. If they had played an equal number of matches on clay, hard courts and grass Nadal would no doubt still be ahead, but it would be a lot closer.

KBlade
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:26 AM

Well. It's kinda true. She is the best player on tour when playing well, everyone knows this, even other players.

KBlade
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:32 AM

This. So frustrating when players who can hardly string matches together all year come alive at the most important points of the year, knock out GENUINE TITLE CONTENDERS, and then sink back into anonymity and useless-ness after one event.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Irrelevant.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/_svetlio_/tennis/1-2.gif

The Witch-king
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:44 AM

Reaching. You know that a lie :rolleyes:

VishaalMaria
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I really miss that Venus.

The one that was just a complete bitch!

Mistress of Evil
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:50 AM
This is about beef between fanbases not between the players dumbass

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/_svetlio_/tennis/venus-stare.gif

you don't know what a metaphor is, do you, smartass :awww:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:13 PM

post the one from last year :sobbing:

those other snitches have gone so far off topic :lol: come on babies back on board

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I really miss that Venus.

The one that was just a complete bitch!

yes she needs to let it out once in a while

Steven.
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:18 PM
This is about beef between fanbases not between the players dumbass

:spit: the only dumbass here is you.

The Witch-king
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:36 PM
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/_svetlio_/tennis/venus-stare.gif

you don't know what a metaphor is, do you, smartass :awww:

I can't recognise them when they're poorly constructed

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Blah blah blah...and the all-Belgian and all-Russian finals were all-time classics, huh?! :lol:

The all-Belgian finals were definitely a lot better than the all-Williams ones. The all-Russian ones weren't, but we didn't have four of those in a row, so naturally people didn't get as sick of them.

The reasons people thought the all-Williams finals were dire were because (a) it was always obvious Serena was going to win them; (b) it was hard to pick a side because, at the time, both seemed to have similar personalities; (c) there was a lot less outward intensity from both than in usual matches; and (d) the quality of tennis was usually awful. The all-Williams Wimbledon finals in recent years were much more enjoyable (particularly 2008) because, by that time, they'd carved out more distinct personal identities (mainly due to Venus mellowing in recent years, even if Serena is still as arrogant as ever), plus they seemed more comfortable playing eachother (probably because they know they've not got many years left and so they're more hungry to win any Slam) and the tennis was a lot better.

dsanders06 is back and finally showing his true colors again...after a year long of Serena bashing in 2010 he went back into hiding when Serena was injured and out of the game...not surprising to see him back :lol:

How did this turn into a Fed discussion...lol GM posters :hearts:

Seriously, who the hell are you? :unsure:

Actually, if you go back about a month, I was quite happy Serena was coming back, and I actually kind of wanted to root for her purely because the sport needs great players right now. But then she reminded me and everyone else of what a spoilt bitch she was with her egotistical tantrum about being on Court 2 (and subsequently got a roasting from the British press, after getting her first bit of great press ever when she cried oncourt a couple of days earlier). Again, like I say, if Serena fans think that her arrogance is part of her appeal to you or whatever, then that's fine - but the fact is it's not what most people want to see from champions. You don't get to be the queen bitch of the sport AND be the crowd darling - it just doesn't work that way. And that was my point in my original post in this trhead - Serena fans were talking like the press backlash was an unprovoked act, or they even occasionally suggest it's motivated by racism, when actually it's a reaction to how Serena herself has acted over many years.

Losses in slams to Tsonga, Soderling, Berdych :oh:
Federer has one slam left max.

I guarantee he will win atleast 3 more Slams. :lick: He's said in the past he plans to play until he's 35, and I can't see any way he won't sneak in atleast three more hardcourt Slams. Don't forget he beat Rafa in their biggest hardcourt match of the last two and a half years (at the London Finals last year), and also his matches against Djokovic are still 50/50 shots imo. Murray....LOL. And I say that as a Brit.

Also, Rafa will never be greater than Roger no matter how dominant the head-to-head is. Rafa has simply never had the sustained brilliance that Federer had. Roger made the semis at 23 consecutive Slams...Rafa has lost before the semis twice in just the last SEVEN Slams.

KBlade
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:47 PM
The all-Belgian finals were definitely a lot better than the all-Williams ones. The all-Russian ones weren't, but we didn't have four of those in a row, so naturally people didn't get as sick of them.

The reasons people thought the all-Williams finals were dire were because (a) it was always obvious Serena was going to win them; (b) it was hard to pick a side because, at the time, both seemed to have similar personalities; (c) there was a lot less outward intensity from both than in usual matches; and (d) the quality of tennis was usually awful. The all-Williams Wimbledon finals in recent years were much more enjoyable (particularly 2008) because, by that time, they'd carved out more distinct personal identities (mainly due to Venus mellowing in recent years, even if Serena is still as arrogant as ever), plus they seemed more comfortable playing eachother (probably because they know they've not got many years left and so they're more hungry to win any Slam) and the tennis was a lot better.

Yeah... No.

I don't think any subjective lack of intensity, or supposed lack quality can place the All-Belgian finals on a higher shelf than All-Williams finals. Although Serena and Venus arguably lacked their natural "killer" instinct against one another, their finals still contained flashes of brilliance, and always contained entertaining power and athleticism. At least Serena and Venus managed to actually produced an entertaining three-setter in one of their finals.

All the All-Belgian finals always ended in Justine beating Kim like a drum, so your point about All-Williams finals being boring due to predictability is moot. Same point for most All-Russian finals, except with Dementieva in the place of Clijsters.

And in my personal opinion, the difficulty in being able to choose a side kind of adds to the atmosphere, tension and unpredictability of a match to me. I remember in 2008, I wanted Venus to win.. and then Serena.. and then Venus again :lol:

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Actually, if you go back about a month, I was quite happy Serena was coming back, and I actually kind of wanted to root for her purely because the sport needs great players right now. But then she reminded me and everyone else of what a spoilt bitch she was with her egotistical tantrum about being on Court 2 (and subsequently got a roasting from the British press, after getting her first bit of great press ever when she cried oncourt a couple of days earlier). Again, like I say, if Serena fans think that her arrogance is part of her appeal to you or whatever, then that's fine - but the fact is it's not what most people want to see from champions. You don't get to be the queen bitch of the sport AND be the crowd darling - it just doesn't work that way. And that was my point in my original post in this trhead - Serena fans were talking like the press backlash was an unprovoked act, or they even occasionally suggest it's motivated by racism, when actually it's a reaction to how Serena herself has acted over many years.

Of course. This is why the most popular athletes of their generations, like Babe Ruth, Muhammad Ali, Jordan, Tiger Woods, et al, were the paragons of humility in their prime. Give me a fucking break.

And Serena's the most popular female athlete in America. Hell, she's most likely the most popular American born female athlete period worldwide. So your claims that she's somehow disliked because of her "arrogance" isn't even grounded in reality.

Ferg
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:52 PM
As a Marion fan its hard to say theres ever been beef with another fanbase since theres so few of us, but I suppose with some of the Golovin fans since she was jealous of Marion for being the better and more succesful player and they followed Tati's lead. Now shes a bony smoking WAG of course. I miss those days. :tears:

Those days in the aftermath of Marion owning Chak in consecutive tournaments in Stanford/Montreal was fun too though, when Chak had fans.

Ferg
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:54 PM

Serena has played 2 tournaments in that year and Maria has been sucking until the past 4-5 months. They havent played each other. Just wait until they start meeting in tournaments.

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Yeah... No.

I don't think any subjective lack of intensity, or supposed lack quality can place the All-Belgian finals on a higher shelf than All-Williams finals. Although Serena and Venus arguably lacked their natural "killer" instinct against one another, their finals still contained flashes of brilliance, and always contained entertaining power and athleticism. At least Serena and Venus managed to actually produced an entertaining three-setter in one of their finals.

All the All-Belgian finals always ended in Justine beating Kim like a drum, so your point about All-Williams finals being boring due to predictability is moot. Same point for most All-Russian finals, except with Dementieva in the place of Clijsters.

And in my personal opinion, the difficulty in being able to choose a side kind of adds to the atmosphere, tension and unpredictability of a match to me. I remember in 2008, I wanted Venus to win.. and then Serena.. and then Venus again :lol:

By "better", I mean the all-Belgian finals were more enjoyable. They were, because it was much easier for the audience to get emotionally involved and pick a side due to the Belgians' different personalities and their vastly different styles of play, as well as the fact they were more outwardly intense then the all-Williams finals were. And I certainly felt they were higher quality, though that's obviously subjective.

Plus, Kim-Justine finals actually WERE unpredictable. When they first met in a final at 2003 RG, no-one had a clue what the hell was going to happen. At the 2003 USO, Kim was actually a slight favourite because Justine was so exhausted after her SF. Justine did go in as a strong favourite to the 2004 AO final, but that turned out to be a nailbiter which Kim was right in til the very end. No comparison to the all-Williams finals, where, after Venus got thrashed in the RG final (which, in terms of quality, was the worst of the lot), you knew Serena was in her head and was going to win whenever they met. And, for reasons I already said, people didn't care which one won anyway, because, in the eyes of most people, they were equally unlikeable at the time.

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:56 PM
And Serena's the most popular female athlete in America. Hell, she's most likely the most popular American born athlete period worldwide. So your claims that she's somehow disliked because of her "arrogance" isn't even grounded in reality.

I don't know about America, but in virtually every other Western country, Serena ain't even the most popular female tennis player; Sharapova is, as attested to by her much higher off-court earnings. When the pre-Wimbledon party happened, it was Maria who was all over the British front pages (as well as Mattek-Sands :spit: ); Serena was relegated to the inside.

KBlade
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:02 PM
By "better", I mean the all-Belgian finals were more enjoyable. They were, because it was much easier for the audience to get emotionally involved and pick a side due to the Belgians' different personalities and their vastly different styles of play, as well as the fact they were more outwardly intense then the all-Williams finals were. And I certainly felt they were higher quality, though that's obviously subjective.
Plus, Kim-Justine finals actually WERE unpredictable. When they first met in a final at 2003 RG, no-one had a clue what the hell was going to happen. At the 2003 USO, Kim was actually a slight favourite because Justine was so exhausted after her SF. Justine did go in as a strong favourite to the 2004 AO final, but that turned out to be a nailbiter which Kim was right in til the very end. No comparison to the all-Williams finals, where, after Venus got thrashed in the RG final (which, in terms of quality, was the worst of the lot), you knew Serena was in her head and was going to win whenever they met. And, for reasons I already said, people didn't care which one won anyway, because, in the eyes of most people, they were equally unlikeable at the time.

These are all good points, noted ::yeah:

Although, I don't really think in my opinion that the All-Williams finals were very predictable. Especially not Australia, where Serena had to over-come Kim in a marathon, as opposed to Venus to strolled past Henin. I think it's easier to say looking back now the Serena definitely had Venus's number, but at that point and time, Venus had been dominating Serena and had really held the mental edge for the past couple of years, and Serena had only just been starting to make some ground back in relation to their head to head with those slam final victories.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but if I had to go back to 2002 - 2003, I would have certainly be expecting Venus to put her foot down after already being beaten by Serena in a couple of slam finals by the time they met in say the US or Australian Open finals.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I don't know about America, but in virtually every other Western country,

Link? Any kind of proof for this?

Serena ain't even the most popular female tennis player; Sharapova is,

"she's most likely the most popular American born athlete period worldwide."

as attested to by her much higher off-court earnings. When the pre-Wimbledon party happened, it was Maria who was all over the British front pages (as well as Mattek-Sands :spit: ); Serena was relegated to the inside.

This argument is flawed. Most of Sharapova'a endorsement money is from American companies marketing American products to Americans. Yet we know Sharapova is not more popular or well known that Serena. Every survey done for the past decade:

Just like last year, Serena and Venus Williams are number one and number two on the Favorite Female Sports Star list, followed by race car driver Danica Patrick. Perhaps thanks to the World Cup excitement, Mia Hamm moves up from number 5 to number 4 this year, followed by tennis star Maria Sharapova who moves to number 5

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NewsRoom/HarrisPolls/tabid/447/ctl/ReadCustom%20Default/mid/1508/ArticleId/441/Default.aspx

Her endorsement deals are not correlated to her popularity: Companies simply think she's a better mannequin for their wares.

The whole arrogance thing is a canard: Michael Jordan, the most popular athlete of the last half of the 20th century, was more arrogant that Serena could ever dream of being. Who's the most popular American athlete now? Tiger Woods. ANother guy who's way more arrogant than Serena could ever be.

Olórin
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I don't know about America, but in virtually every other Western country, Serena ain't even the most popular female tennis player; Sharapova is, as attested to by her much higher off-court earnings. When the pre-Wimbledon party happened, it was Maria who was all over the British front pages (as well as Mattek-Sands :spit: ); Serena was relegated to the inside.

Maria wasn't on the front page of a single paper that I recall seeing, although I might have missed. On the front of the sport-section perhaps. This is actually the first year in about 5 where Maria's exposure during the Wimbledon fortnight has eclipsed or come close to Serena's, due to her title-contending credentials rivalling Serena's this year.

And how do you know about their levels of popularity in every other Western country, bearing in mind endorsements correlate with marketability which is not the same as "popularity" which tends to imply fan-based popularity. I would question whether you are well travelled? Have you even been to many tournaments within the UK? How much have you spoken to tennis fans from other countries to gain a flavour of their favourite players?

Anyway, the poster said American-born - which excludes Sharapova and every other non-American born tennis player. So your analysis falls flat at the first hurdle sadly.

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Link? Any kind of proof for this?

Endorsements. Also compare the crowd support each player got in the Serena-Sharapova match at Wimbledon last year. Or, hell, any match at any tournament outside of America when Serena plays a top player.

"she's most likely the most popular American born athlete period worldwide."

Again, not even close. For a start, Andy Roddick is far more well-liked in Britain.[/QUOTE]

This argument is flawed. Most of Sharapova'a endorsement money is from American companies marketing American products to Americans. Yet we know Sharapova is not more popular or well known that Serena. Every survey done for the past decade:

That survey is American. Run this survey in the UK, and the Williams sisters wouldn't come top 10.

KBlade
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Endorsements. Also compare the crowd support each player got in the Serena-Sharapova match at Wimbledon last year. Or, hell, any match at any tournament outside of America when Serena plays a top player.

Again, not even close. For a start, Andy Roddick is far more well-liked in Britain.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I don't even think whether she plays inside our outside America makes a difference. For the most part, the US Crowd is completely unsupportive and ungrateful.

Olórin
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I'm not sure if it's just me, but if I had to go back to 2002 - 2003, I would have certainly be expecting Venus to put her foot down after already being beaten by Serena in a couple of slam finals by the time they met in say the US or Australian Open finals.

Various pundits, including John McEnroe, were actually picking Venus to win the AO 2003 final; Venus had had a far more smooth road to the final seemingly in better form. No-one knew Serena was going to dominate quite so totally, over Venus of all people! That is why it was actually so exciting at the time, to see history unfold from nowhere.

And Venus was also on a 21(?) match winning streak going into the US Open Final 2002, the form player of the summer while Serena was the form player of the two weeks, so that match was also very much up in the air also. Other than Venus' serving that was probably an underrated match in terms of quality. It's all very well for people to look back with retrospect and say how one-sided it was. That poster is once again showing his ignorance and lack of tennis-knowledge of the time by saying that all the finals were a foregone conclusion and predictable. It was many years later that Venus developed this mantra of fading in big moments, back then it was "Venus is so mentally strong, if anyone can beat Serena in a crucial moment, she can".

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Sharpova used to be more popular than Serena in some of the eastern countries (I neither care nor know about the current situation), but it has nothing to do with tennis or talent which just goes to show how shallow and perenially horny all of us are.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:13 PM

So no actual proof?

Like I said before, endorsements don't prove popularity. Maria makes more in American endorsement deals than Serena. Does that make her mor epopular in America? Of course not.

And :lol: at using crowd support as a measure of popularity. If that were the case Kim Clijsters would be the most beloved female player in America. :lol:

Again, not even close. For a start, Andy Roddick is far more well-liked in Britain.

Andy Roddick?!

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA

You say Serena isn't well received in Britain because of her lack of tact and social grace, and then say than Andy Roddick is more well liked? LMFAO. The guy who launched a tennis racket at a linesperson (not just threatened them- ACTUALLY threw a racket at a linesperson) during the 2007 AO semis, the guy who argues with umpires every other match, curses out loud, etc.?

I get it now. I've been arguing with elaborate flame for the past day or so.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:14 PM
it took serena coming back for dsanders to start showing the true colours again :lol:

Mistress of Evil
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I can't recognise them when they're poorly constructed

well, you shall forgive me then :awww: my constantly usage of GIFS speaks for itself aka I am not the sharpest tool in the shed :sad:
plus after all :
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/_svetlio_/Mean%20girls/tumblr_lerytsOCkZ1qfj8b4o1_500.gif

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Some of you guys are in denial. Sharpova is more popular than Serena, but it has nothing to do with tennis or talent which just goes to show how shallow and perenially horny all of us are.

Obviously her looks play a part, but, in the UK, the perception that she's far more grounded and gracious than Serena is also a factor. For instance, her joy after winning the Wimbledon final in '04 which most people found endearing (whereas Serena only ever comes across to people as smug and irritating after she's just won a Slam); and her grace and crediting her opponent after losing to Kvitova this year, in both the on-court ceremony and press conference/interviews (whereas Serena stood around with a sour look on her face after losing to Venus in '08, then focussed on herself in her interviews rather than Venus's play). Maria is also a lot better at signing autographs, and is more willing to fulfill all media commitments, which means the media like her more... whereas Serena petulantly refused to do an interview with the BBC after losing at Wimbledon this year, whereas Roger had no problem doing one after he lost to Tsonga a few days later.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Obviously her looks play a part...

Its the looks (BIG PART) and grunting that have made her popular in the UK. We have embraced twats like rooney, roddick and hamilton and unlike the tennis fans not everyone has time to go read pova/serena interviews to over analyse their each words.

As I said, it just goes to show that we are all shallow and if you have big tits (jordan) or long legs (Kournikova) you are popular.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:18 PM
So no actual proof?

Like I said before, endorsements don't prove popularity. Maria makes more in American endorsement deals than Serena. Does that make her mor epopular in America? Of course not.

And :lol: at using crowd support as a measure of popularity. If that were the case Kim Clijsters would be the most beloved female player in America. :lol:

Andy Roddick?!

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA

You say Serena isn't well received in Britain because of her lack of tact and social grace, and then say than Andy Roddick is more well liked? LMFAO. The guy who launched a tennis racket at a linesperson (not just threatened them- ACTUALLY threw a racket at a linesperson) during the 2007 AO semis, the guy who argues with umpires every other match, curses out loud, etc.?

yes :lol:

Serenita
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:20 PM
So no actual proof?

Andy Roddick?!

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA

:yeah:

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:22 PM

By accident. And he then immediately apologised. If you think that compares to Serena deliberately threatening an official, then refusing to apologise until her sponsors forced her two days later, and then making it clear her apology wasn't sincere by constantly saying in interviews that she shouldn't've been fined and that the linejudge was to blame for making the call, then I give up.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:24 PM
By accident. And he then immediately apologised. If you think that compares to Serena deliberately threatening an official, then refusing to apologise until her sponsors forced her two days later, and then making it clear her apology wasn't sincere by constantly saying in interviews that she shouldn't've been fined and that the linejudge was to blame for making the call, then I give up.

Just so I'm clear:

Andy Roddick loses a point against Federer, gets mad, throws a racket, endangers the safety of a linesperson= cool beans

Serena loses the Wimbledon final, is upset about it, has a sour look on her face, talks about herself in the interview= unforgivable sin

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Just so I'm clear:

Andy Roddick loses a point against Federer, gets mad, throws a racket, endangers the safety of a linesperson= cool beans

Serena loses the Wimbledon final, is upset about it, has a sour look on her face, talks about herself in the interview= unforgivable sin

Roddick throws a racquet in frustration in 3-second act, doesn't realise he's throwing it towards camera man, immediately appologises, cameraman who wasn't hurt at all accepts apology immediately = out of character for Roddick because he's usually pretty classy off the court (see his reaction after losing epic Wimbledon '09 final).

Serena knowingly threatens official in act lasting minutes rather than 3 seconds, refuses to apologise for 48 hours, shows little regret for it now = in line with her character as shown by her frequent classlessness off the court.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Its the looks (BIG PART) and grunting that have made her popular in the UK. We have embraced twats like rooney, roddick and hamilton and unlike the tennis fans not everyone has time to go read pova/serena interviews to over analyse their each words.

As I said, it just goes to show that we are all shallow and if you have big tits (jordan) or long legs (Kournikova) you are popular.
But at least in sports you still have to be great or at the very least very good to receive that type of attention. Even Kournikova was at one point a top 10 player, which is nothing compared to the likes of serena, but is still a great achievement when you consider how many girls there are out there who play tennis. If you compare that with the entertainment industry where they make movie stars or pop stars out of complete non-talents just because they look cute and can wiggle their ass a little bit I'd say that the situation in the world of sports is still a lot better. Super stardom in sports doesn't necessarily mean that you're the best, but at least you have to be of a high standard.

justineheninfan
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Roddick is a dick. Say what you will about Serena's sportsmanship, there is no way she is worse than Roddick. Look at last years U.S Open where she mocked and harassed a line judge for over an hour throughout the match because of a call that was correct.

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Katie Price is extremely unpopular these days, precisely because of what a bitch she's known to be, despite the media telling us how fit she supposedly is (though I don't know anyone who actually finds her attractive). Rooney's popularity has also been plunging of late due to his Serena-like behaviour, and Hamilton is only popular because he's one of the few British sportsmen doing well on a world stage :lol:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Katie Price is extremely unpopular these days, precisely because of what a bitch she's known to be, despite the media telling us how fit she supposedly is (though I don't know anyone who actually finds her attractive). Rooney's popularity has also been plunging of late due to his Serena-like behaviour, and Hamilton is only popular because he's one of the few British sportsmen doing well on a world stage :lol:

But we have overlooked that he is a twat, so we arent exactly a prude nation who immediately dislikes anyone who isnt fake nice. Roddick is generally loved here, despite being a twat and Federer despite being smug (but we have gone through that on the previous page) Rooney is still very popular, twat or not :shrug:. And Jordan rose to fame because of her looks..as I said if you have looks you are popular. There is a reason why Kirilenko was a Stella girl whereas Bartoli was buying her own clothes, we (not just the UK) put too much emphasis on looks. If you are an virtual cum-rag, you are popular no matter your talent level.

moemoe
Jul 13th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I have really enjoyed reading this thread.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:06 PM
To tell you the truth, discussions about gamesmanship and the "bad behavior" or "character" of players always leave me with a (rather cynical) smile on my face when I read them at TF. Everyday players here are insulted, ridiculed, called empty headed ballbashers, pushers, cowards and a zillion other things by posters. The meaner the better. To see people here trying to take the moral high ground and complain about every little thing that a player may or may not have done or said is considering how people here (without singling anyone out in particular) behave themselves ludicrous at best and hypocritical at worst.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:10 PM
To tell you the truth, discussions about gamesmanship and the "bad behavior" or "character" of players always leave me with a (rather cynical) smile on my face when I read them at TF. Everyday players here are insulted, ridiculed, called empty headed ballbashers, pushers, cowards and a zillion other things by posters. The meaner the better. To see people here trying to take the moral high ground and complain about every little thing that a player may or may not have done or said is considering how people here (without singling anyone out in particular) behave themselves ludicrous at best and hypocritical at worst.

Amen to this.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:10 PM

you'd think you were dealing with a board full of saints with the amount of "classless" comments we see :lol:

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah, but there always comes someone eventually that gets the better of you. Borg stopped playing when McEnroe took over. At least Fed has the guts to stick around and keep on trying. And Djokovic now is the man that Nadal can't beat. None of these things takes anything away from all of their all time greatness. Eventually someone will come up from behind who has Djokovic' number as well. And the Fed vs Nadal h2h looks so bad for Fed because they played so many matches on clay. If they had played an equal number of matches on clay, hard courts and grass Nadal would no doubt still be ahead, but it would be a lot closer.

Oh, I do agree..Nadal is totally in Federer's head, but on hard and grass...h2h would be closer.
And of course kudos to Fed for not running away. What's Nadal gonna do? :lol:

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I don't know. I think it's great that it shows that even after winning as much as he has he still cares that much.

That was the total surrender by Federer..can't do that.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:13 PM
bandy go to MTF with that if you don't want this shut down :lol:

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:25 PM

Wow! That was the greatest subplot of the ' 99. u.s. open. Venus was NOT happy AT ALL! Wow! :eek:

bandabou
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:28 PM

Seriously, who the hell are you? :unsure:

I guarantee he will win atleast 3 more Slams. :lick: He's said in the past he plans to play until he's 35, and I can't see any way he won't sneak in atleast three more hardcourt Slams. Don't forget he beat Rafa in their biggest hardcourt match of the last two and a half years (at the London Finals last year), and also his matches against Djokovic are still 50/50 shots imo. Murray....LOL. And I say that as a Brit.

Also, Rafa will never be greater than Roger no matter how dominant the head-to-head is. Rafa has simply never had the sustained brilliance that Federer had. Roger made the semis at 23 consecutive Slams...Rafa has lost before the semis twice in just the last SEVEN Slams.

:haha: :rolls: Oh somebody can't handle Serena winning all the time. :sobbing: :hysteric: :crying2:

:spit: Roger winning 3 more majors?! OMG! :rolls:

Alejandrawrrr
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:32 PM

Wow! That was the greatest subplot of the ' 99. u.s. open. Venus was NOT happy AT ALL! Wow! :eek:

:lol: The cameraman made it worse by slowly zooming in on her. You can almost hear the "DUN DUN DUNNN"

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:42 PM
you'd think you were dealing with a board full of saints with the amount of "classless" comments we see :lol:

TF is obsessed with class. :lol:

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM
TF is obsessed with class. :lol:

What else are they going to criticize Serena for?

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:49 PM
:lol: pure gems

Novichok
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM
bandy go to MTF with that if you don't want this shut down :lol:

He has been all over Fed.:fiery:

dsanders06
Jul 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM

I've never criticised Wozniacki's personality. :shrug: Despite her bad approach to the sport, she's obviously a nice, decent person with a lot of sportsmanship. But people are obviously entitled to criticise players' game styles... this is a board of tennis aficionados, they're not going to love every player's game and stay silent if they don't. It's when that criticism strays into the personal that it crosses a line - UNLESS that player has also shown themselves in a bad light in their personal conduct (which Serena certainly has, Wozniacki hasn't).