PDA

View Full Version : Name this forum, FINAL POLL

cosmoose
Jul 11th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Once and for all, vote for your favorite subforum name.

Lets do this :)

*I deleted all previous "Name this forum" threads/poll to avoid confusion.

cosmoose
Jul 11th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I thought Petrafying Power would be a good name :p
in the first poll, we had Petrafying Forest....it received little support.
I wish I can include everyone's suggestions but TF poll has a limit of 10 choices. Sorry.

18majors
Jul 11th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Petra Kovitova, of course.

Excelscior
Jul 11th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Petra Kovitova, of course.

You spelled it wrong (Kvitova); of course!! ;) :) Lol.

FORZA SARITA
Jul 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Hello Kvitty is priceless :rolls:

bruce goose
Jul 11th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Is it really,REALLY the last poll??Even if someone concocts another quasi-clever nickname after we're finished:rolleyes:?'Pojd Petra' is unique in that it incorporates her Czech roots...PLUS she uses 'Pojd' on court...PLUS it reflects our hopes for her excellence...it has the best of everything

cosmoose
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Is it really,REALLY the last poll??Even if someone concocts another quasi-clever nickname after we're finished:rolleyes:?'Pojd Petra' is unique in that it incorporates her Czech roots...PLUS she uses 'Pojd' on court...PLUS it reflects our hopes for her excellence...it has the best of everything

Yes. this is the last "name the forum" poll.

I agree with everything you say about Pojd Petra. It was my choice. :)

bruce goose
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Yes. this is the last "name the forum" poll.

I agree with everything you say about Pojd Petra. It was my choice. :)Well,it looks like 'Hello Kvitty' is the flavor of the month(sigh...).It's not obnoxious but it's sort of like a dorky child's knock-knock joke...you might laugh for a split second yet it has no staying power...not a very impressive name for Petra's forum,IMO,but fan voting is the only fair way to decide.....unless we could somehow contact Petra and solicit her opinion.I think THAT vote would be the final say

EDIT:Not that we should be pestering Petra with these small issues(wink,wink)

ArcticMoose
Jul 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Well,it looks like 'Hello Kvitty' is the flavor of the month(sigh...).It's not obnoxious but it's sort of like a dorky child's knock-knock joke...you might laugh for a split second yet it has no staying power...not a very impressive name for Petra's forum,IMO,but fan voting is the only fair way to decide.....unless we could somehow contact Petra and solicit her opinion.I think THAT vote would be the final say

EDIT:Not that we should be pestering Petra with these small issues(wink,wink)

:confused:Clarification Sought : The choice of name being polled now will be the name of her sub-forum until her retirement from tennis whenever that may be ? or will her Sub-forum go through periodic re-naming exercises like some players sub-forums on TF? are we voting for a name with staying power through the future years or something more near term and trendy?:unsure:

What's the score OP?:oh:

18majors
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Petra or Petra Kvitova.

bruce goose
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:46 PM
:confused:Clarification Sought : The choice of name being polled now will be the name of her sub-forum until her retirement from tennis whenever that may be ? or will her Sub-forum go through periodic re-naming exercises like some players sub-forums on TF? are we voting for a name with staying power through the future years or something more near term and trendy?:unsure:

What's the score OP?:oh:You raise a worthwhile question,and my answer is: I have no idea!:lol:....There are other forums that have changed their titles so I assume that this one would do the same if most of the fans sought that....We wouldn't necessarily have to wait for Petra's retirement;)

Excelscior
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Hey Guys. I don't mean to sound Naive. But am I missing something with "Hello Kvitty".

I have nothing against it, and it's a fine name. I just wanted to know. Is this supposed to be a take on "Hello Dolly", or "Here Kitty, Kitty, etc. (or is it exactly what it is/sounds?" Just curious.

Thanks.

bruce goose
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Hey Guys. I don't mean to sound Naive. But am I missing something with "Hello Kvitty".No,it's not just you who's missing something;I'M missing that whatever-it-is,too

Meelis
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Inspired by "Hello Kitty", I guess.

lupojohn
Jul 12th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Gee, if my name isn't gonna win, let it be Pojd Petra. Hello Kvitty rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

cosmoose
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Hey Guys. I don't mean to sound Naive. But am I missing something with "Hello Kvitty".

I have nothing against it, and it's a fine name. I just wanted to know. Is this supposed to be a take on "Hello Dolly", or "Here Kitty, Kitty, etc. (or is it exactly what it is/sounds?" Just curious.

Thanks.

Hello Kitty
http://data.whicdn.com/images/885371/3523407517_c3d2f86c8b_thumb.jpg?1256310946

Queen Petra Fan
Jul 13th, 2011, 12:34 PM

That's interesting. I hadn't noticed she uses "pojd" when on court. I thought you guys meant it like 'Come on Petra! in which case it would be nonsensical in Czech. To my understanding, 'Pojd' is something you would use to have a little child 'come' to you (Come on Petra. Come to me Petra.). To cheer someone on Czechs use 'Do toho' which means something more like 'Get going! Get moving!'. I think we need one of our Czech friends to help us here. I don't know enough to give an expert opinion. :confused:

Excelscior
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:23 PM
That's interesting. I hadn't noticed she uses "pojd" when on court. I thought you guys meant it like 'Come on Petra! in which case it would be nonsensical in Czech. To my understanding, 'Pojd' is something you would use to have a little child 'come' to you (Come on Petra. Come to me Petra.). To cheer someone on Czechs use 'Do toho' which means something more like 'Get going! Get moving!'. I think we need one of our Czech friends to help us here. I don't know enough to give an expert opinion. :confused:

Obviously, I'm far from a Czech expert. But for what it's worth, Broadcaster's have repeatedly said it means "Come on" in Czech (not to far from that child hood translation).

TimeyWimey
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:33 PM

damn, we put a word in our forum name poll without even knowing exactly what it means:lol:

ArcticMoose
Jul 13th, 2011, 03:51 PM
You raise a worthwhile question,and my answer is: I have no idea!:lol:....There are other forums that have changed their titles so I assume that this one would do the same if most of the fans sought that....We wouldn't necessarily have to wait for Petra's retirement;)

:lol: I have a hunch that this Final Poll :scared: is heading the same way :unsure:as the now infamous 2000 US Presidential Election :smoke:- aka "The hanging Chads Saga":hysteric:

King Halep
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:22 PM
damn, we put a word in our forum name poll without even knowing exactly what it means:lol:

I researched it before using it, I dont do things at random, if thats what you are asking :)

bruce goose
Jul 13th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Gee, if my name isn't gonna win, let it be Pojd Petra. Hello Kvitty rubs me the wrong way for some reason.Don't feel bad;my suggestion was so popular that ZERO other posters approved it:lol: so I had to incorporate into one of Petra's thread titles instead

Excelscior
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Hello Kitty
http://data.whicdn.com/images/885371/3523407517_c3d2f86c8b_thumb.jpg?1256310946

So this is a play on "Hello Kitty?"

Mmmhhhh. Ok. :confused:;) :rolleyes: :) Lol.

Queen Petra Fan
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Obviously, I'm far from a Czech expert. But for what it's worth, Broadcaster's have repeatedly said it means "Come on" in Czech (not to far from that child hood translation).

I teach English to corporate clients here in Prague. I'll be sure to ask them today for some definitive answers about the usage of 'pojd'. One of them in the afternoon is a longtime tennis player. I'll ask her about the on court usage too. And, I can't wait to show her the autographs I got! Today should be fun.

@reyeszjj: I can't find that magazine anywhere! Does it really exist? lol :confused:

Queen Petra Fan
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:44 AM

I teach English to corporate clients here in Prague. I'll be sure to ask them today for some definitive answers about the usage of 'pojd'. One of them in the afternoon is a longtime tennis player. I'll ask her about the on court usage too. And, I can't wait to show her the autographs I got! Today should be fun.

@reyeszjj: I can't find that magazine anywhere! Does it really exist? lol :confused:

Delfii
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Hello Kvitty! :lol: just hilarious!

bruce goose
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Hello Kvitty is like a cancer that resists all treatment

Excelscior
Jul 14th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Hello Kvitty is like a cancer that resists all treatment

Funny!! Lol

bruce goose
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:47 PM
In my e-mail inbox,there was a post from 'Goofy Duck' stating that he/she wanted to change his/her vote to "Pojd' Petra",but I don't see GD's post here.....I hope that changes of opinion are allowed cuz that would narow the gap between the cursed Hello Kvitty and Pojd' Petra...especially if Goofy Duck voted for the former originally

Queen Petra Fan
Jul 14th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Okay guys, after consulting with my Czech colleagues and students I can give you a definitive answer to the 'Pojd Petra' question. Basically it breaks down like this: (1) In it's main form it's used mostly for calling someone to follow or come to them - as in directing a child, 'Pojd' Petro.' (pronunciation = poid-yuh Pe-tro. (2) Surprisingly, to me, yes, you can use it as Petra does on court to motivate herself. Same phrase-same pronunciation. (3) However, you would never use it to cheer someone on. For that you would shout 'Do toho Petro!'. Which basically means 'Go Petra go!' or 'Come on Petra!' Are we clear? lol

TimeyWimey
Jul 14th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Okay guys, after consulting with my Czech colleagues and students I can give you a definitive answer to the 'Pojd Petra' question. Basically it breaks down like this: (1) In it's main form it's used mostly for calling someone to follow or come to them - as in directing a child, 'Pojd' Petro.' (pronunciation = poid-yuh Pe-tro. (2) Surprisingly, to me, yes, you can use it as Petra does on court to motivate herself. Same phrase-same pronunciation. (3) However, you would never use it to cheer someone on. For that you would shout 'Do toho Petro!'. Which basically means 'Go Petra go!' or 'Come on Petra!' Are we clear? lol

wow, that's the nuance of the language, huh~

Queen Petra Fan
Jul 14th, 2011, 06:39 PM
wow, that's the nuance of the language, huh~

When it comes to Czech, you have no idea... I could study it for the rest of my life and still end up sounding like a slow second grader. Every word seems to have 20 different meanings. Oof! lol

ArcticMoose
Jul 14th, 2011, 06:47 PM
In my e-mail inbox,there was a post from 'Goofy Duck' stating that he/she wanted to change his/her vote to "Pojd' Petra",but I don't see GD's post here.....I hope that changes of opinion are allowed cuz that would narow the gap between the cursed Hello Kvitty and Pojd' Petra...especially if Goofy Duck voted for the former originally

:tape::haha::tape::haha::tape::haha::tape:
:lol: I have a hunch that this Final Poll :scared: is heading the same way :unsure:as the now infamous 2000 US Presidential Election :smoke:- aka "The hanging Chads Saga":hysteric:

bruce goose
Jul 14th, 2011, 06:47 PM
When it comes to Czech, you have no idea... I could study it for the rest of my life and still end up sounding like a slow second grader. Every word seems to have 20 different meanings. Oof! lolWhile I respect your points as a fellow teacher,this isn't Czech grammar class,it's a tennis fans' forum so I wouldn't call it offensive if we play with the language a little bit for a nice sounding title.Having said that,the precision is irrelevant because the hell-spawned Hello Kvitty...which I'm gradually disliking more and more...has too much of a lead in the voting,it appears

Excelscior
Jul 14th, 2011, 07:30 PM

But she uses it to say "Come on" (choice 2), and motivate herself, correct?

Queen Petra Fan
Jul 14th, 2011, 08:00 PM
But she uses it to say "Come on" (choice 2), and motivate herself, correct?

It appears so. In that case we should add an exclamation point to it: 'Pojd' Petro!'. Otherwise, it's nonsensical. It needs to have some oomph to it to give it the real feeling. Whatever we choose should respect the true Czech meaning of the phrase otherwise it just sounds stupid. Almost, more offensive than Hello Kvitty to some. It's their language not ours and we should respect that fact.

paulmara
Jul 15th, 2011, 09:05 AM
My vote Kvitty Queen ( or Kvitty cool or Kvitty calm ) i like the sound of it

cosmoose
Jul 16th, 2011, 05:19 AM
just a few more hours until the poll closes!

Sasja
Jul 16th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Voted for Hello Kvitty :oh: :D

Redhead
Jul 16th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Hi Everyone :wavey:

Sorry for hijacking this thread to introduce myself but apparently I am not able to start new threads yet and I really wanted to post and say hi.

I have enjoyed womens tennis for over ten years but after Davenport and Mauresmo retired I didn't really follow anyone in particular and went through a phase of not really watching much at all. I noticed Petra at this years Wimbledon (and then remembered that I had actually seen her in 2010 and liked her) but this year I became a real fan :). Don't you love that feeling when you first become a fan of someone. I am not jumping on the post-Wimbledon bandwagon, I am genuinely blown away by Petra's natural talent and sweet and humble personality.

I have watched a lot of Petra's highlights on YouTube and am more impressed the more I see.

Redhead

P.S I am a bit shy to say hello in General Messages so might just stay in this forum for a little while :)

cosmoose
Jul 16th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Welcome Readhead :)

we petra fans are friendly people. just starting to build her subforum.
you are welcome to join us for anything petra related. cheers! :)

ArcticMoose
Jul 16th, 2011, 10:17 AM

Sorry for hijacking this thread to introduce myself but apparently I am not able to start new threads yet and I really wanted to post and say hi.

I have enjoyed womens tennis for over ten years but after Davenport and Mauresmo retired I didn't really follow anyone in particular and went through a phase of not really watching much at all. I noticed Petra at this years Wimbledon (and then remembered that I had actually seen her in 2010 and liked her) but this year I became a real fan :). Don't you love that feeling when you first become a fan of someone. I am not jumping on the post-Wimbledon bandwagon, I am genuinely blown away by Petra's natural talent and sweet and humble personality.

I have watched a lot of Petra's highlights on YouTube and am more impressed the more I see.

Redhead

P.S I am a bit shy to say hello in General Messages so might just stay in this forum for a little while :)

Welcome to the Forum.:bounce:

:pThe Petra Paradigm Off-Topic Thread is a place to get rid of your shyness. Almost all wackyness gets an airing in there - but in this tennis hiatus when Petra's not playing almost all threads have turned wacky:lol: - if only Petra knew how wacky her fans were ...http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/sSc_hiding.gif

ArcticMoose
Jul 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
just a few more hours until the poll closes!

:unsure:Petra has only 46 fans:scared:

:oh:If this poll was conducted in GM…… wonder what the results would be …..http://www.forumsextreme.com/images/sSc_hiding.gif

18majors
Jul 16th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Petra Kvitova, of course.

GoofyDuck
Jul 16th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I wanna change my vote to Pojd Petra!

not that it matters :lol:

bruce goose
Jul 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM

Redhead

P.S I am a bit shy to say hello in General Messages so might just stay in this forum for a little while :)You don't need to visit GM unless you plan on having a lobotomy and grievously reducing your skills of perception....I fear that a few of those GM trolls snuck in HERE and punished us with the cursed 'Hello Kvitty'(sigh...)but,overall,you'll enjoy Petra's forum,I suspect:wavey:

Queen Petra Fan
Jul 16th, 2011, 05:17 PM

Redhead

Welcome to the club Redhead! I'm in the same boat as you in regards to starting new threads so I know what you mean.

Don't feel bad for being on the Petra bandwagon. I am too and I'm not ashamed of it. I've been waiting since I was a huge fan of Ivan Lendl to have another player I liked so much and could strongly cheer for.

So, enjoy the ride! I think it's going to be interesting! Pojd' Petro!

Excelscior
Jul 16th, 2011, 06:40 PM

Redhead

Hellooooooo Redhead! WELCOME!!

Not sure if you have access to ESPN 3 in England, but if you do, you can watch most of Petra's (and all of her Wimby one's) full length grandslam matches for 2011.

Enjoy!!

Redhead
Jul 16th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the kind welcome :) I look forward to joining in on the discussions and eventually starting some threads of my own ;)

Excelscior, I am not sure if I have ESPN 3, I will have to check as I haven't watched much sport recently (apart from Wimbledon!!). Luckily I do have Sky Sports so I will definitely be able to watch Petra in the US Open :)

cosmoose
Jul 16th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Thank you everyone for voting.
Even with subtracting 1 vote from GoofyDuck, "Hello Kvitty" wins easily. :D
At the same time, it's kind of humbling to see that there are only 48 Petra fans on TF. :eek:
Maybe with her own subforum, her fandom will grow.

I sent a message to Zamboni (administrator) about our poll result. Hopefully we will have Hello Kvitty in the very near future!:D

ArcticMoose
Jul 16th, 2011, 10:59 PM
This poll result is accepted for now - convinced the voting was skewed by visitors/trolls who may not be true fans but curious by the launch of her sub-forum & GS win. TF GM threads are a good barometer of loyalty & would question the legitimacy of some of the names that came forward in the earlier (deleted) threads. With a fan base conceivably set to increase, the poll needs to be conducted at intervals to check if it reflects the wishes of the enlarged fan base or Petra’s own wishes per se.

Case in Point - Kuznetsova goes out of her way now to correct people when she is addressed as "Kuzy". There may come a time when Petra her self may do like wise with "Kvitty" or “GOAT” or “xName” that is in play.

bruce goose
Jul 17th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Thank you everyone for voting.
Even with subtracting 1 vote from GoofyDuck, "Hello Kvitty" wins easily. :D
At the same time, it's kind of humbling to see that there are only 48 Petra fans on TF. :eek:
Maybe with her own subforum, her fandom will grow.

I sent a message to Zamboni (administrator) about our poll result. Hopefully we will have Hello Kvitty in the very near future!:DMaybe I'm overlooking some stuff,but don't worry so much over those raw numbers,Cosmoose.Based on the volume of posts we've been getting,I'd say that Petra had ample fans to keep this forum alive and running...and more 'bandwagoners' will come along with the successes...for better and for worse;)

Redhead
Jul 17th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Make that at least 49 fans :wavey:

I am a new Kvitova fan but don't really consider myself a bandwaggoner as I will support her now through thick and thin, no matter what. I was a Davenport fan as of Wimbledon 2000 and never got to see her win a slam but supported her no matter what even though she put me through HELL in the Wimby 2005 final ;) lmao

mac47
Jul 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I have to say that "Hello Kvitty" is not a very suitable name for a forum dedicated to someone so tall, dignified, and strong. The actual Hello Kitty is small, round, silly, and not at all awe-inspiring. The only value it has is humor, being a pun.

If you needed a pun, I'd have suggested something else. "The Petra-fied Forest" would work. Wozniacki certainly got Petrafied at Wimbledon 2010, as did Wickmayer and Sharapova this year!

Queen Petra Fan
Jul 17th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Case in Point - Kuznetsova goes out of her way now to correct people when she is addressed as "Kuzy". There may come a time when Petra her self may do like wise with "Kvitty" or “GOAT” or “xName” that is in play.[/FONT]

Well, no wonder. I can't speak about Russian but in Czech 'kozy' means 'tits' informally. Presuming 'kuzy' is linguistically similar to 'kozy' you can see her problem with it being used. I still don't understand the whole 'kvitty' or 'goat' thing at all. Equally stupid sounding or meaning. I would only call her Petra or Pet'o (pron. pet-yo) or Petro if I spoke to her face to face again.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 17th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Is it possible to combine both Hello Kvitty and Pojd Petra!? since there's also many of them liking that name.:shrug:

Edit: Never mind. Just saw the name got changed.:p

Excelscior
Jul 17th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I'm not going to belly ache about the new subforum name (whether it's temporary or permanent). We voted. But Hello Kvitty is sooooo feminine to me.

I understand Petra is a woman, but for the hetero male participants on this board it comes across so girly, and cheesy (now that I'm reminded of that cat "Hello Kitty", the pun it came from). Oh well!! That's why we voted. :tape: :confused: :wavey: Hello Kvitty!

theFutureisNow
Jul 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Is it possible to combine both Hello Kvitty and Pojd Petra!? since there's also many of them liking that name.:shrug:

Edit: Never mind. Just saw the name got changed.:p

Pojd Kvitty!

I'm one of the ones who doesn't like that name either. It's not that I hate small cartoon kittens, but that it just doesn't seem to fit Petra at all.

Oh well, it's just a name. This last process was tedious enough- it would be a pain to go through another renaming contest.

Redhead
Jul 17th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I have to say that "Hello Kvitty" is not a very suitable name for a forum dedicated to someone so tall, dignified, and strong. The actual Hello Kitty is small, round, silly, and not at all awe-inspiring. The only value it has is humor, being a pun.

If you needed a pun, I'd have suggested something else. "The Petra-fied Forest" would work. Wozniacki certainly got Petrafied at Wimbledon 2010, as did Wickmayer and Sharapova this year!

"Petrafied" lol that's really clever :)

cosmoose
Jul 17th, 2011, 09:00 PM

There was Petra-fied Forest in the first poll. I think it only got 1 vote. :p

ArcticMoose
Aug 25th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Petra's Official Facebook Site Launched 21st July 2011

Petra Kvitová http://www.facebook.com/petrakvitovaofficial

Calling time on this current inept TF sub-forum name so that Petra facebook fans (25,406) & Petra TF fans can integrate, cross fertilise the Petra Facebook Site & Petra TF sub-forum site under a recognisable & rallying name

mac47
Aug 25th, 2011, 11:22 PM
I wish it wasn't all in Czech.

ArcticMoose
Aug 25th, 2011, 11:50 PM
It's only a matter of time before it goes bi-lingual due to her global fanbase - the Czech launch is understandable considering her language skills & her entire support team being Czech based