PDA

View Full Version : What Does It Say About The WTA That Roberta Vinci IS Top 20 ???

SAISAI-GOAT
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:10 PM
this girl has cleaned up at the MM level, winning 2011 Barcelona (beat Soler, Shvedova, Razzano, Pous-Tio and Hradecka), 2011 'S-Hertogenbosch (beat Hercog, Dulgheru, Wickmayer, Cibulkova, Dokic) and 2011 Budapest (beat Jurikova, Babos, Kucova, Zakapalova and Begu) ... in addition, she won 2010 Luxembourg (beat Arvidsson, Zahlavova Stryova, Flipkens, Keothavong and Georges)

so she currently holds four MM titles worth over 1,100 points :worship:

that is more than a Premier Mandatory and more than a GS SF :dance:

and if she can win Palermo MM this week, she will enter the WTA Top 20 :nerner:

In The Zone
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM
She has 4 MM's on her ranking as well as 2 Slam 3Rs. More than can be said for Ivanovic - who is currently in the top 20.

Noctis
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:16 PM
If Li Na can win a Grandslam and be top 4 ,why not Roberta enter top 20 :shrug:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Roby will still be #21 if she wins Palermo

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:21 PM
So? :shrug: It means she deserves it.:shrug:

Patrick345
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:21 PM
this girl has cleaned up at the MM level, winning 2011 Barcelona (beat Soler, Shvedova, Razzano, Pous-Tio and Hradecka), 2011 'S-Hertogenbosch (beat Hercog, Dulgheru, Wickmayer, Cibulkova, Dokic) and 2011 Budapest (beat Jurikova, Babos, Kucova, Zakapalova and Begu) ... in addition, she won 2010 Luxembourg (beat Arvidsson, Zahlavova Stryova, Flipkens, Keothavong and Georges)

Well JJ and Ana are both top 20 and neither would have won any of these events. :sad::lol:

duhcity
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:23 PM
It says she's played well this year.
What does it say about the WTA that Peng has no titles in her ranking and is top 20? :rolleyes:

18majors
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:24 PM
It meeans she is good.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:28 PM
What does it say about the WTA that Peng has no titles in her ranking and is top 20? :rolleyes:

:lol::lol: 1-0

Wert.
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:33 PM
She has 4 MM's on her ranking as well as 2 Slam 3Rs. More than can be said for Ivanovic - who is currently in the top 20.

THIS :bowdown:

GoofyDuck
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:36 PM
That hard work and great gamestyle gets rewarded :worship:

TheHangover
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:38 PM
it means that you can't buy class at the supermarket

penkku
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:41 PM
It says that 1.) she is a very good tennisplayer 2.) she is good at clay and grass, unlike many others 3.) thread starter doesn't understand our sport very well :)

Also I think (oneofmyfaves) Anna K. happily would change her slam SF to those 4 MM titles ;)

dsanders06
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:48 PM
She's not *that* bad :shrug:

I love Italy
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:54 PM
It says that 1.) she is a very good tennisplayer 2.) she is good at clay and grass, unlike many others 3.) thread starter doesn't understand our sport very well :)

Also I think (oneofmyfaves) Anna K. happily would change her slam SF to those 4 MM titles ;)

This.

ardley
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Nothing special.. Cornet was #11 :lol::tape:

SAISAI-GOAT
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:08 PM

Ana has 2 PM QF, a MM and the MM TOC :worship:

If Li Na can win a Grandslam and be top 4 ,why not Roberta enter top 20 :shrug:

Na is much more talented :shrug:

Peng has been consistent in all the tournament she played and is much more of a threat to the top players than Roberta :bigwave:

C. Drone
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:11 PM

this was too easy :lol:
although there are more who don't have title in the last 52weeks, but few who never won a WTA tournament. :oh:

FORZA SARITA
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Roby had to beat a lot of good players to win these 4 titles so she totally deserves it :facepalm:

I love Italy
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Peng has been consistent in all the tournament she played and is much more of a threat to the top players than Roberta :bigwave:

But she never won a tournament :oh:

GoofyDuck
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:16 PM
:topic: Peng just has bad fitness, by the time she gets to a SF or final of a tournament she is either injured or tired.

But I'm convinced if Peng joined one of these MM's these weeks she would definately win one :shrug: :topic:

Effy
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:17 PM
will you ever shut up, Na Goat?

SAISAI-GOAT
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:20 PM
:topic: Peng just has bad fitness, by the time she gets to a SF or final of a tournament she is either injured or tired.

But I'm convinced if Peng joined one of these MM's these weeks she would definately win one :shrug: :topic:

exactly :rolleyes:

tennis-insomniac
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:20 PM
it means that you should STFU

SVK
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Na is definitely not much more talented...talent doesnīt mean success, success doesnīt mean talent...Robertaīs game has definitely much more talent in it than Naīs bashing, but just this is simply not enough to reach the same success Na has.

It doesnīt say anything about WTA, you have some late bloomers, like a wine - better when it goes older, no matter how good or bad the current level of the tour is. Robertaīs game is special, sure not really todayīs and she will hardly make something really big with this, but still, she donīt need a big power and still can play a lovely game, something not many player can do nowadays. I think itīs even a good for WTA that we have such style near TOP 20, something like a breath of fresh air, despite Roberta is almost 30. She has 4 titles in a rankings now - 2 titles from clay, 1 title from indoor hard and 1 title from grass, and that says also something. MM are still WTA tournaments, they are not some random ITF events and unlike Budapest, in other 3 tournaments when she won title she wasnīt favourite. She definitely deserves her ranking and itīs definitely not bad for the game at all.

Melange
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:31 PM
:lol::lol: 1-0

more like 0-0 peng has been in good form and does not push

Sammo
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:34 PM
She's not a bad player, I'd say top 20 at her best but definately not top 15.

Noctis
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:36 PM
more like 0-0 peng has been in good form and does not push

http://files.myopera.com/AMGala/albums/200326/Baby%20O%20Rly.gif

currie84
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Vinci broke the ultimate record of Baby Anci against the Italian Renaissance :sad:..that'll always be the milestone of her career.

Matt01
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM

Ivanovic has reached the semis of the Canadian Open and the Quarters at Miami IIRC.

SVK
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:45 PM
She's not a bad player, I'd say top 20 at her best but definately not top 15.

You never know nowadays:lol: But I would agree with you...she is not the next big thing for sure. But she has a game, just itīs not the style which is currently in, if I could say it like that. Different people, different taste of course, some people couldnīt like her game, but the point is that itīs not bad for WTA to have someone with a bit different style and with 4 titles near TOP 20...even if itīs player without some great success in the past. Iīm sure it happened and it will happen again, she is not the only one.

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Although Roberta still has a little bit more way to go, she does now look to be well on the way to a top 20 ranking. And she will be a very welcome addition to the top 20 as well. She brings a very different game to the top 20 than does anyone else currently there. It will certainly be good to have a player back in the 20 who utilizes the slice as much and as effectively as Roberta. Definately Roberta is a class act and I'm glad to see her doing so well.

FORZA SARITA
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:49 PM
she has 0 points to defend till Tokyo :drool: btw everything changed thanks to her amazing coach :worship: everytime he comes on court Roby's on a mission :lol:

itzhak
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:50 PM
that you can open another thread with "what does it say?"...

DefyingGravity
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:52 PM
That Vinci has a wonderful all-around game, got to the third round of Wimbledon, and has won a lot of titles this year to work her way into this position. That she put in hard work and did some smart scheduling. That if she were born in a different era of tennis, she would have more than just 4 MM tournaments to her name, since (like someone said earlier) she can't beat the big girls of this era because she simply doesn't have the weaponry to beat 'em.

edificio
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:58 PM
It says that Roberta Vinci has skill, determination, and stick-to-itiveness. Qualities necessary to win tournaments even when down in the third set, and you are playing relatively poorly in the blazing sun.

TheHangover
Jul 10th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Ana has 2 PM QF, a MM and the MM TOC :worship:

Na is much more talented :shrug:

NO WAY LI NA HAS MORE TALENT THAN ROBERTA VINCI!!!! NOT AT PLAYING TENNIS, SURELY SHE HAS MORE TALENT AT ARM-WRESTLING, but you are chinese, you really don't know how tennis should be played, so you are excused

Melange
Jul 10th, 2011, 09:22 PM
You never know nowadays:lol: But I would agree with you...she is not the next big thing for sure. But she has a game, just itīs not the style which is currently in, if I could say it like that. Different people, different taste of course, some people couldnīt like her game, but the point is that itīs not bad for WTA to have someone with a bit different style and with 4 titles near TOP 20...even if itīs player without some great success in the past. Iīm sure it happened and it will happen again, she is not the only one.

I say enjoy her, Brianti and Schiavone while they are still around. The clay style will be gone soon. Replaced by the all-purpose, cookie cutter, plastic game the WTA is pushing.

Noctis
Jul 10th, 2011, 09:25 PM
NO WAY LI NA HAS MORE TALENT THAN ROBERTA VINCI!!!! NOT AT PLAYING TENNIS, SURELY SHE HAS MORE TALENT AT ARM-WRESTLING, but you are chinese, you really don't know how tennis should be played, so you are excused

Na Goat is not chinese,excuse me thats an insult to us.

Pasta-Na
Jul 10th, 2011, 09:26 PM
win Bali YEC for additional US$ 1 million prize money :drool:

Javi.
Jul 10th, 2011, 09:35 PM
What's the point of this thread?
Roby is awesome and has way more variety in her game than the new legion of brainless ballbashers.

Andy.
Jul 10th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I think she has a great game and is a point of difference on the tour. She deserves to be where she is in the ranks.

wally1
Jul 10th, 2011, 10:12 PM
It says enjoy the variety in Vinci's game while it's still available to watch, as all juniors these days are taught the same 2-handed backhand baseline game. Vinci has the best natural volley's in the women's game currently.

toxina90
Jul 10th, 2011, 10:36 PM
It says variety, fluidity and grace is not quite dead.

propi
Jul 10th, 2011, 10:41 PM
That she's awesome and her nice tennis is finally paying its dues :worship:
She has more talent in her left thumb that half of the players above her :yeah:

JCTennisFan
Jul 10th, 2011, 11:01 PM
It shows that she won a few tournies this year and got a near top 20 ranking as a result? The only potential sign that could come out of this is that Ranking points for non GS tournies need to be reduced a bit? But thats been the case for a few years now.....

Temperenka
Jul 10th, 2011, 11:12 PM
She's underrated on this forum. Obviously winning four tournaments in a year is a great accomplishment.

delicatecutter
Jul 10th, 2011, 11:14 PM
It says that Begu doesn't have the experience to close out big matches yet.

Scola
Jul 10th, 2011, 11:18 PM
What's the point of this thread?
Roby is awesome and has way more variety in her game than the new legion of brainless ballbashers.

well, she only knows how to slice a backhand. I definetely wouldn't call it a variety.:lol:

SVK
Jul 10th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Yes she knows how to slice backhand - itīs not a random shot, she is even able to make a winner from this, this shot has some placement, she is very often changing the rythm and direction, finding lines and then you missed - using dropshots, all round game, serve-volleying, great touch...thatīs what she has and what IS called a variety...if you say that she hasnīt variety just because she only knows how to use a slice backhand then people might think you are not watching tennis properly...sure she has also a big weaknesses, otherwise she would be TOP 10.

madmax
Jul 10th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Vinci is awesome and I wish she was a bit more consistent when playing "elite" girls - her style works wonders on natural surfaces when executed well. I'm a huge fan of attacking aggressive tennis, but having some nice variety on the tour is always welcome addition

ArcticMoose
Jul 11th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Late bloomers in the Italian Contingent - welcome variety to the tour mix

Yoncé
Jul 11th, 2011, 01:30 AM
It means she defeated a RG QFist on Clay, A former top 20-er in Barcelona.
She beat solid top 30-er in Dulgheru, a USO SFist, two time Caro beater this year (at Wimbledon once) a former top 4-er who plays amazing on grass to win 'S-Hertogenbosch.
And in 2010 Luxembourg she defeated Georges...who was good at that stage of last year too.
And she won Budapest because she is a solid CONSISTENT player.

And what does it say about the WTA that she is nearly top 20? It says that a consistent player is coming to form as she gets older, along with just about everyone else these days.

It also says that she is more consistent and solid than other top 20 players.

longtin23
Jul 11th, 2011, 01:35 AM
She's underrated on this forum. Obviously winning four tournaments in a year is a great accomplishment.

Let's not forget Wozniacki then

Curtos07
Jul 11th, 2011, 04:41 AM

Ivanovic has a Linz and Bali title, a 4th and 3rd round slam appearance, Cincy semi's and Beijing quarters on her ranking.

Roookie
Jul 11th, 2011, 05:03 AM
4 tournaments in a year is a huge achievement MM or not. You can do better than this Na-Goat :tape:

faboozadoo15
Jul 11th, 2011, 05:11 AM
She's awesome. Love watching her play, a true breath of fresh air. ;)

In The Zone
Jul 11th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Let's not forget Wozniacki then

When Vinci is threatening #1, she'll be treated like Wozniacki. Until then, 4 tournaments is a great accomplishment for someone trying to push the top 20 for the first time.

When you're #1, you should be winning 4 titles. Oh and winning some things called slams. ;)

FORZA SARITA
Jul 11th, 2011, 10:10 AM
When Vinci is threatening #1, she'll be treated like Wozniacki. Until then, 4 tournaments is a great accomplishment for someone trying to push the top 20 for the first time.

When you're #1, you should be winning 4 titles. Oh and winning some things called slams. ;)

owned :oh:

KBlade
Jul 11th, 2011, 10:41 AM
It means she's in great form? Maybe if she was pushing for the Top 10 on these results, then it would be a different story.

Svetlana)))
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Good on her, love her slice and net game.

Juanes
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:52 AM
strange indeed.....

Smitten
Jul 11th, 2011, 12:17 PM
What does it say about the WTA that Karolina and Azarenka have good odds to be year end 1 & 2 with neither reaching a slam F this year.

thegreendestiny
Jul 11th, 2011, 12:27 PM
If Shahar can get near top 10 then I guess it's ok... :shrug:

Aaron.
Jul 11th, 2011, 04:40 PM
What does it say about the WTA that Karolina and Azarenka have good odds to be year end 1 & 2 with neither reaching a slam F this year. That Kim isn't playing a full schedule and NA is too inconsistent :shrug:

Sylvester
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:00 PM
It says variety, fluidity and grace is not quite dead.

And we have a thread winner. You can close it now! :yeah:

For God sake, she is currently holding 4 WTA titles on clay, grass and indoors! Over the last 12 months, she has a 46-24 win/loss record, with wins over Kuznetsova, Petrova, Goerges, Ivanovic, Kleybanova, Wickmayer and Cibulkova.

If she wasn't close to the Top 20, that would be the shocking news. Plus she is something 95% of the WTA circuit isn't nowadays: she is consistent!

Good to see her doing well, she is surely much nicer to watch than most pushers and ball bashers ranked much higher than her...

Matt01
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:16 PM
That Kim isn't playing a full schedule and NA is too inconsistent :shrug:

And that Justine is retired :sobbing:

Brad[le]y.
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Another thread from NA-GOAT :dance:

Scola
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:38 PM
That Kim isn't playing a full schedule and NA is too inconsistent :shrug:

yeah that's the key. And Marta Domachowska is inconsistent too...:lol:

Graftard
Jul 11th, 2011, 10:38 PM

so she currently holds four MM titles worth over 1,100 points :worship:

that is more than a Premier Mandatory and more than a GS SF :dance:

and if she can win Palermo MM this week, she will enter the WTA Top 20 :nerner:

Vinci is a great player with talent unlike certain RG champion.

Melange
Jul 11th, 2011, 10:44 PM
yeah that's the key. And Marta Domachowska is inconsistent too...:lol:

Marta has been brilliant this year

MechWarrior2k
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Radwanska hovers around the top 10 despite going 2+ years without any titles...

SAISAI-GOAT
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I mean all the other top 20 are threats to the top 5, but I don't see Vinci ever defeating a top 5 :shrug:

tennisbum79
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Have you not heard?

:lol:SUCK Generation has put forth a motion to raise the retirement age on the WTA:lol:
It is non-binding, but if it passes, you can be sure that Martina Nav. will not be an aberation in the future.
Davenport might attempt another comeback after her child is born.

Jane Lane
Jul 12th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Whore up MMs and get to a career high ranking? Lather, rinse, repeat. Like we didn't already know.

macginity
Jul 12th, 2011, 03:19 AM
I just can't understand why people try to compare an almost top 20 player to a top 10 one.

And it's not a big deal to win 4 MM tournaments? Yeah, say that to some of the players of the top 20 today, like Cibulkova or Wickmayer. Nothing against them, but you really think that they wouldn't like to wim something?

Navratil
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I was just wondering if 4 MM-titles are a bigger achievement than a Grand-Slam Semifinal!?

I guess it depends on whom you beat on the way...

Excelscior
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:27 AM
For the record, I think Vinci has 3 MM titles so far this year. She is holding 4 over the course of a running year, but she has 3 THIS YEAR.

Mashabator
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:31 AM
it sorta says alot of the women cant handle slice, and that u dont need a topspin backhand to win titles :help:

Steven.
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:42 AM
I was just wondering if 4 MM-titles are a bigger achievement than a Grand-Slam Semifinal!?

I guess it depends on whom you beat on the way...

People only brought that comparison up for Kournikova because she has failed to win a WTA title. I don't think anyone otherwise would trade a slam semi for 4 MMs because slams has more prestige and its what people talk about long after you're retired (and tier 1 at worst). I don't think, for example, Dokic, Lisicki, Jie Zheng etc. would trade a semi-final run at a GS for 4 MMs.

TheHangover
Jul 12th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Wta is in a piteous state but not because Vinci is almost top 20!

Wta is in a piteous state because we had the two past rg finals with Schiavone-Stosur and Schiavone-Li, Li in the final of ao, Zvonareva in two gs finals last year, Wozniacki world number one. Schiavone number 4 at 30, Li number 4 at 28.

We are reduced to look at Kvitova as the next big thing, Goerges was adulate and pointed out as a wta saviour, wta matches are the unforced error festival, gs finals always suck... and the only reason you can find to demostrate the awful state of the wta at the moment is Vinci being 23 in the world?

KournikovaFan91
Jul 12th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Listen Thunderous will deal with Vinci in Palermo.

Problem solved :bowdown:

In The Zone
Aug 12th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Bump.

Defeated World #1 and defeated "I'm playing better than RG 2008" Ivanovic.

Really, what does that say? VINCI IS LEGITIMATE. She has won three titles, two on different surfaces this year.

About time Vinci got her respect and given Stosur's form and inability to have a rally over three shots when a backhand is involved, Vinci has a great shot to make the semifinals.

SAISAI-GOAT
Aug 12th, 2011, 02:25 AM
LOL I edit the thread title to reflect Roberta entering top 20 :hug: