PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite sporting moment?

mckyle.
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Today's USA soccer win was so exciting for me; I was jumping up and down & screaming with joy when Wambach scored the tying goal. It made me think back on my favorite sports moments and I was wondering what they are for all of you? Here are two of mine:

5El03CbLam0

This one had me crying. I actually couldn't talk for a week because I was screaming for about five minutes straight afterwards and my voice was shot! So exciting!

rIPdix6aR3Y

Probably the greatest match ever in a lot of people's opinions. Felt so great to Rafa finally closed it out after wasting so many opportunities.

Dodoboy.
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Serena winning the 2011 US Open

pov
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Many of them. Hard to pick one out. Today was up there though.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Serena winning AO 07 - the final match actually I was more interested in.:devil: :worship:

and Lindsay's IW semis win in 2007(?).:bowdown:

Novichok
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Serena winning AO 2007 and Federer winning RG 2009.:hearts:

Andreas
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:22 PM
My favourite tennis moment: Ana Ivanovic winning Roland Garros 2008.
My favourite non-tennis moment: Denmark winning the final of the Olympics in women's handball in Athens 2004 :worship: That was probably the best and most exciting handball match ever played.

Yorker
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM
1980 USA hockey miracle

antonella
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Last year:

http://www.photoshopfiles.com/photoshop_files/834/preview.png

Adal
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Maria winning her slams.

Specter
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:37 PM
eH26Y3S4Q88

I didn't have to think for a second. This is it. This is the greatest moment in sports I ever got to witness. Magdalena Neuner is this country's greatest active athlete and she will eventually be the greatest of all time if she keeps going at this pace. :worship:

Certinfy
Jul 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Federer hitting that backhand long when match point down in the 2009 US Open Final against Del Potro, nothing even comes close! What a fucking legend you are Juan. :worship: :bigcry:

tejmeglekvßr
Jul 11th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Krisztina Egerszegi, Atlanta 1996
well, there is no "drama" in this. She decided to retire after Olympics, and this was her last race.

EEqoiH5aqEE

ViceUltramontain
Jul 11th, 2011, 12:30 AM
lLWs3NMaTws

The French 4*100 m women relay winning the World Championship at home in front of 70 000 people. Amazing atmosphere. I don't think I've ever been more excited by a sport moment than during Christine Arron's last 60 meters, the way she surpass Tori Edwards, that was something.

France beating Brazil during the 2006 Football World Cup was amazing too.

nevetssllim
Jul 11th, 2011, 12:46 AM
lLWs3NMaTws

The French 4*100 m women relay winning the World Championship at home in front of 70 000 people. Amazing atmosphere. I don't think I've ever been more excited by a sport moment than during Christine Arron's last 60 meters, the way she surpass Tori Edwards, that was something.

I loved that. :hearts: Some of my friends were there and they said the atmosphere was indescribable.

Non-tennis related, mine were Dame Kelly Holmes' 800/1500m double at the Athens Olympics and Paula Radcliffe winning the world marathon title in 2005. :worship:

Pump-it-UP
Jul 11th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Serena AO '07

The men's swimming 4x100 relay in Beijing
sVZrne7X5ww&start=40s

Landon Donovan's game winning goal vs Algeria during the World Cup. :worship: Love this reaction video..
jbn3rOPmR9w&start=29s

Mateo Mathieu
Jul 11th, 2011, 04:36 AM
7ZdbW7PSPGk

eyPTBiGxeE0

new-york
Jul 11th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Venus 2005.

longtin23
Jul 11th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Li Na won French Open
Wozniacki win a slam

Remix13
Jul 11th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Concernig Tennis :

- Gustavo Kuerten winning RG in 2000 & 2001 (2001 was extraordinary when he was 2 sets, a break and a matchpoint down against Russel in 1/8 and he finally won the tournament drawing hearts on the clay). Guga was really my favourite player at this time. I remember also when he beat Agassi 6-4 6-4 6-4 in the 2000 Masters final in Lisbon and finished the year number 1, I was jumping in front of the TV after every games he won, I called that jumps of victory :lol:
To bad he had these hips troubles :sad:

f_yDlhiW73Y

zHG_gt2-6iU

- Federer winning Wimbledon 2009 16-14 in 5th set against roddick, thrilling suspense. I was happy with his RG2009 title against S÷derling, but the match was quite easy so I was not so moved, I was more crazy with Robin destroying Nadal in 1/8 :devil: (well I really dislike Nadal... Fortunately I didn't see Wimbledon 2008 final, I'd have probably destroyed everything in the house :lol:)

9Ivf3TOUY78

- Concerning WTA, I don't know, well I was happy after Ivanovic win in RG2008 but I can't say it's one of my favorite sport moment... Unfortunately I didn't see live Maria Sharapova vs Maria Kirilenko in AO2010 R1, I think I could have been incredible emotionally speaking :D

KM8KYC10jTI&feature=related

If one day Makiri win a big tournament (in another dimension or another life), I would probably cry of joy :lol: (Crying of joy never happened to me, but concerning Makiri, everything can Happen)

Wow after reading this for checking, tennis can really make me crazy, I should stop watching this sport :lol:

Anyway It's good to remind these great moments while writing this post.

Concernig other sports :

- I think when France won Football world cup 1998 (The whole world cup in fact was great, probably because it was the first I watched, I was only 11 but I remember nearly every match)

mZMFLqBKXNI

- There are also the incredible wins by the "invincible" French Handball Team (Olympic games, European Championship, 2 World Championship in a row, the 2011 title was awesome after Extratime against Danemark in final).

AR3HUIG3jGM&feature=related

There were also great moments in cycling or athletics (Bolt's records for example), but it's hard to list them ;)

duhcity
Jul 11th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Serena AO '07

The men's swimming 4x100 relay in Beijing
sVZrne7X5ww&start=40s

[/youtube]

That's a good one.

My personal fave:
z4LXOPU4Zms

The first real sporting moment I remember.
fFn47a_Ny0Y

Fantasy Hero
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:03 AM
as a fan of Flavia her win against Vera at USO 09 saving all those MP :sobbing:

as an italian fan when italy won her first WCH against USA in women volleyball :sobbing:

YtJaRk2AAK4

Dani12
Jul 11th, 2011, 11:45 AM
xNmuyxlZ9Kk

One of the only sporting moments that can bring a tear to my eye everytime I see it. The pressure, the emotion, the impact and the meaning of the moment, it was all there.

The race may have been quite unremarkable, but the moment was one for the ages. It was of those ones where you hold your breath for the whole time, then jump up and down hugging everyone after it is finished.

A really significant moment in the history of Australia and the indigenous people.

6L_jE9rAZAI

"Gary Hall Jnr, was quoted as saying "My biased opinion says that we will smash them like guitars." which made the victory by the Australians all the more sweeter. The Aussies couldn't have swum it better - it was their day. It was a great day for Australia."

Also the part at the end where they all played air guitar was hilarious :lol:

WhoAmI?
Jul 11th, 2011, 01:56 PM
YCUPH0Ay5AQ
Petra Majdic winning bronze with broken ribs:worship::awww:

silverwhite
Jul 11th, 2011, 02:50 PM
AO 07 is definitely up there :D

Yorker
Jul 11th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Forgot to add the Syracuse-UCONN Big East playoff game, that was in sane. I think it was '09?

vanillalatte
Jul 11th, 2011, 04:03 PM
one of the best...

AbaNAFyW3Dg

:devil:

Super Dave
Jul 11th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Incredibly, I can't find Kirk Gibson's 1984 World Series home run on youtube, but here it is in reverse :rolleyes:

tI45o3SV3zw

A couple of others, from college football:

q3ykWbu2Gl0

0fZCCAqoSwY

shirley
Jul 11th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Tennis wise:
lU3phxHEWdU

This match had it all. The story of Goran's previous defeats in the final. The wildcard. The shoulder injury. His nerves. Just a great moment. Still my fave men's final :)

Steffi v Martina in the French Open final 1999
Roger winning the French Open
Jana Novotna finally winning Wimbledon
Amelie winning Wimbledon
Jennifer Capriati v Kim Clijsters in the FO final 2001

Away from tennis:
BIuQV1eaze4
My football team, Kilmarnock FC winning the Scottish Cup in 1997. We're just a small team and don't win much so this is there. Best day ever!! :bounce:

2nmtB7rBs3M

Spain winning Euro 2008 and World Cup 2010.
GsGVrI-xilY

Ashi
Jul 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM
KB87-Vr9Lq8&feature=related

This x 1000. :sobbing:

India won the Cricket World Cup after 28 years, at home, in my city. The mayhem, madness, nerves, prayers were all worth it!

Indian Captain Dhoni's winning six! :inlove:

King Halep
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:19 PM
"Gary Hall Jnr, was quoted as saying "My biased opinion says that we will smash them like guitars." which made the victory by the Australians all the more sweeter. The Aussies couldn't have swum it better - it was their day. It was a great day for Australia."

Also the part at the end where they all played air guitar was hilarious :lol:

People just cant get over that quote can they. Truth is that its only half right, he gave the opposition credit as well, but its too hard for anyone to remember that part. Two 50m gold medals is not bad for someone with diabetes.

King Halep
Jul 11th, 2011, 07:21 PM
one of the best...

AbaNAFyW3Dg

:devil:

Maradona :facepalm:

BARBIE
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Amelie winning Wimbledon in 2006 :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown:

mTG68BFTYkU

tennismaster8820
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:57 AM
This will be my favorite sporting moment forever, nothing comes close! All emotions felt during that final.
Best atmosphere in some tennis match ever and how fitting it was. :worship: :sobbing:

EotEO905J1g

Dani12
Jul 12th, 2011, 04:22 AM
People just cant get over that quote can they. Truth is that its only half right, he gave the opposition credit as well, but its too hard for anyone to remember that part. Two 50m gold medals is not bad for someone with diabetes.

Why should people get over it? It was an extremely arrogant thing to say, and it is a part of the story and the moment. No one said he wasn't a nice guy or that he wasn't a good swimmer, he said something rude and it was awesome to see him proven wrong.

King Halep
Jul 12th, 2011, 05:30 AM
because the full quote according to Wiki, although I have heard something slightly different before, is "My biased opinion says that we will play them like guitars. Historically the U.S. has always risen to the occasion. But the logic in that remote area of my brain says it won't be so easy for the United States to dominate the waters this time".

It was a roundabout way of saying it was going to be a tough event to win. The Aus media only want to blow up one aspect of the quote, so people only know half of what he actually said. I have seen some interviews with Gary Hall and he is one funny guy.

Dani12
Jul 12th, 2011, 06:58 AM
The second half of the quote doesn't negate the first half of the quote. It's still an arrogant thing to say. He expressed his opinion, and that was it.

Danči Dementia
Jul 12th, 2011, 08:38 AM
for some reason I can┤t find anymore the video of Elena winning the Olympic gold :scratch: I think its been removed from YT. that is my favorite sporting moment so far. (tied with Irina Tchachina becoming european champion in 05, but no video)

others ranked near Elena┤s winning moment:

Rxf5uGcbtjY
The happiest moment in Rhythmic Gymnastics EVER!

knowing the disgusting corruption that runs in rhythmics, no one would have seen that one coming, always the deluded hope of the fans, but we all knew that, as usual, the wrong and worst Russian gymnast was going to win unfairly once again (like they did in from 2000 until the moment on the video), even the commentator said twice "she deserves it and they(judges)are not going to give it to her" and fuck yeah they did.:sobbing:

and now onto the other gymnastics where the Russians are loved and not hated
f0IXWnJUIRwThey┤re back:hearts::sobbing:

funny that back when I was younger I suffered a lot because my faves would never win in artistics nor in rhythmic gymastics and now that I┤m older and I┤m not as crazy about it as I once was, they┤re winning :sobbing: I┤m still holding a candle for the 2012 Olympics for Mustafina or Komova or Grishina :sobbing:

the most recent one:
sbB0TD1foh4
the boys winning once again the sub-17 FIFA world Cup :hearts:

others:
-Queen Khorkina winning gold in the 2003 worlds
-and in spite of the judges basically murdering Bessonova all over again, Kanaeva becoming Olympic champion in 2008 (and Inna Zhukova┤s silver):hearts::worship:
-everytime my favorite football team winning the national championships.

someone should put the video of GOATieva winning the Olys back on :sobbing:

Patrick S
Jul 12th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Stefan Holm winning the high jump in Athens 2004 olympic games.

King Halep
Jul 12th, 2011, 10:27 AM
for some reason I can┤t find anymore the video of Elena winning the Olympic gold :scratch: I think its been removed from YT. that is my favorite sporting moment so far. (tied with Irina Tchachina becoming european champion in 05, but no video)

others ranked near Elena┤s winning moment:

The happiest moment in Rhythmic Gymnastics EVER!

knowing the disgusting corruption that runs in rhythmics, no one would have seen that one coming, always the deluded hope of the fans, but we all knew that, as usual, the wrong and worst Russian gymnast was going to win unfairly once again (like they did in from 2000 until the moment on the video), even the commentator said twice "she deserves it and they(judges)are not going to give it to her" and fuck yeah they did.:sobbing:

and now onto the other gymnastics where the Russians are loved and not hated
They┤re back:hearts::sobbing:

funny that back when I was younger I suffered a lot because my faves would never win in artistics nor in rhythmic gymastics and now that I┤m older and I┤m not as crazy about it as I once was, they┤re winning :sobbing: I┤m still holding a candle for the 2012 Olympics for Mustafina or Komova or Grishina :sobbing:

the most recent one:

the boys winning once again the sub-17 FIFA world Cup :hearts:

others:
-Queen Khorkina winning gold in the 2003 worlds
-and in spite of the judges basically murdering Bessonova all over again, Kanaeva becoming Olympic champion in 2008 (and Inna Zhukova┤s silver):hearts::worship:
-everytime my favorite football team winning the national championships.

someone should put the video of GOATieva winning the Olys back on :sobbing:

imagine the atmosphere in the Azteca, that is the real meaning of playing in a cauldron

if you have the video of Dementieva, you should upload it, just dont put Olympics in the title so IOC cant trace it

Miss Amor
Jul 12th, 2011, 10:36 AM
hHIe7UYQ1C4

Nothing will ever measure upto it.

Kworb
Jul 12th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Tennis:
Monica Seles winning 1992 Roland Garros :sobbing:
Elena Dementieva winning gold at the 2008 Olympics :bowdown: :sobbing:
Martina Hingis beating Serena and Venus back to back at the 2001 Australian Open :sobbing: (the final never happened though)
Justine Henin beating Serena and Venus back to back at the 2007 US Open :bowdown: the highest quality women's tennis of all time
Na Li winning 2011 Roland Garros :sobbing:
Roger Federer winning any of his Slams :p

Figure skating:
Alexei Yagudin winning gold at the 2002 Olympics :inlove: especially that beautiful amazing short program

GEfR4dQ8wAw

Surya Bonaly, robbed of so many world titles, performing her illegal back flip at the 1998 Olympics :bowdown:

rC7yJ4jez68

Diving:
Matthew Mitcham winning gold at the 2008 Olympics :bowdown: he was way behind, he needed a perfect dive, and he NAILED IT perfect 10s :bowdown:

Speed skating:
Marianne Timmer winning gold at the 1998 Olympics (1500m) most epic speed skating in history :bowdown:

vaJuWbPIOwo

Daruma.
Jul 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Midori Ito was way ahead of her time with her jumping ability. This is by far the cleanest program of all times. The reaction from the crowd is unbelievable, as they kept on giving her a standing ovation even after her points were announced. I remember reading a comment that the sound of the crowd could be her from Montreal.

cyu8GYBRIjE

Invisible Fan
Jul 12th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Yaya Toure scoring in the FA Cup final this year. First trophy for Man City in 35years although I have only been following them since 2001.

Also the penalty shootout win for Australia in the 2006 world cup qualifiers.

NoppaNoppa
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM
As of now.

You have to watch all three in order to understand last one

The Goal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRROpiNAvPw

The Commentators
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEsEnEgN2ms

The Homecoming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrGZR5LRxLk

miffedmax
Jul 13th, 2011, 09:31 PM
8SNGcSgZeZU

Still for my money the biggest goal in US history. Without it, so many other things don't happen. This puts the US back in the football limelight after a 40-year break. Donovan, Mia, Dempsey, Wambach--maybe they're playing hoops or football or tennis if Caligiuri misses that shot.

And, of course, this.

GgGVaQschc8

Ryan
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Ohhh, this is an easy one. Without a doubt - THE GOOOLDEEENN GOOOAAAAAALLLL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yeiWaXkJSo&feature=related

Sheer pandemonium everywhere in Canada. The streets in Halifax were PACKED, you could barely drive anywhere downtown. I've never been this happy in my sports life, ever. Perfect ending to the perfect Olympics.

Anyone want to tell me how to Embed Youtube videos? I suck. :o

Rui.
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:31 PM
SlMNPRLpa7A

:woohoo:

EzDAsYI-270

Just because I hate Idowu SO MUCH

Sammo
Jul 13th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Fernando Alonso winning the Championships in 2005 :) He's from my hometown so it was very special

deadparrot
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Denmark winning UEFA Euro 1992

OB Odense beating Real Madrid 0-2 at the Bernabeu and advancing to the quarterfinals of the 1994-1995 UEFA Cup

The 3 back-to-back Olympic victories by the Danish women's handball team (1996, 2000, 2004)

Elena Dementieva winning Olympic Gold in 2008

Mynarco
Jul 13th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Man Utd winning Champions League Final in 2008 against Chelsea :inlove:

Maria rocks
Jul 15th, 2011, 08:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Owue9zevLY&feature=player_detailpage

This without a doubt was the best sporting moment for me so far. It still brings a tear to my eye now. Just fantastic stuff.

Second would be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9eCnSg9yDE&feature=player_detailpage

and third:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rk4hBjpVigk

and im convinced the 4th is coming.:)

Ashi
Jul 17th, 2011, 06:12 AM
GEeyM3KFovk

The relief and emotions after this! :sobbing: The tension, nail bitting and tears were worth it! :p

YHtjmofqBeM

Victory from the jaws of defeat! :worship:

Possibly my favourite video of the 2011 Cricket World Cup. Thank you BBC :worship:

CK5x4QPFqv4

WonderfulLee
Jul 17th, 2011, 06:41 AM
mZZ6QK52aic

Epic match and epic trophy presentation!

Ashi
Jul 17th, 2011, 06:50 AM
pzkfYP-GK9k&feature=related

Indian women's historic 4 x 400m relay Gold at the Commonwealth games in front of the Delhi Crowd.

NoppaNoppa
Jul 28th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Alexander Dale Oen World Championships 2011 Shanghai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV_bO05LInU

Norwegian commentary

Certinfy
Jul 28th, 2011, 09:28 PM
YHtjmofqBeM

I am a Liverpool fan but I'm far beyond football being my favourite sport but I don't think outside of tennis anything comes back like that match did, just simply stunning from every single Liverpool player (damn I miss most of them now) from the second half onwards. Unbelievable. :worship:

skanky~skanketta
Jul 29th, 2011, 05:21 AM
My fave non-tennis sporting moments (in no particular order):

1) Shen/Zhao won Olympic gold. I was over the moon!
2) Lindsay Jacobellis while in a massive lead, showboats, stumbles, falls and comes in 2nd. It was absolutely hilarious! Fail of epic proportions!
3) Liesel Jones wins Olympic gold for swimming (breaststroke). While I dont like her, I love her style and it was well deserved.
4) Matthew Mitcham wins Olympic gold for diving.