PDA

View Full Version : Ajmo Miki! U.S. hardcourt swing

Pages : [1] 2 3

croat123
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Good luck Miki!

Schedule so far:

Stanford (currently second in Q, likely MD)
San Diego (was 9 spots out of the MD last time I asked)

networthy
Jul 10th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Schedule so far:

Stanford (currently second in Q, likely MD)

I was there last year and saw Mirjana beat El Tabakh and Krajicek. It's a really nice, pleasant facility. I definitely plan to be there again this year!

kuroishijin
Jul 10th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I hope she she will be ready for it, good luck Miki you will need a bit of it!

tennisfanML09
Jul 13th, 2011, 08:03 PM
good luck Mirjana, and don't forget-we love you!!!:wavey:

ajmo!
Jul 15th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Add Vancouver 100k to it. :)
Since SD is 56 draw and she's still not even in MD I guess it would be good idea to play Vancouver.

mikireturns
Jul 15th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I was there last year and saw Mirjana beat El Tabakh and Krajicek. It's a really nice, pleasant facility. I definitely plan to be there again this year!

Don't forget she also whomped Tamaryn Hendler 6-2 6-4. I was there, too;)

Will be interesting to see if she makes direct entry ... a tight draw, this one. See you at Taube Family Stadium!

DokDi
Jul 16th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Mirjana withdrew from Vancouver.

ajmo!
Jul 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM
:mad:
She should really start to think about points.
She's gonna have to play like crazy to earn those in San Diego.

mikireturns
Jul 16th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Yes, but she also has to be judicious with her money. Vancouver is gorgeous this time of year, and it is tempting for many players to play that 100K, obviously, but it's frankly expensive to "stay & play" in gorgeous Vancouver. I would rather see her risk qualifying to reap WTA level points, if she feels she can stick to her guns. Mirjana will be wisest to hit Stanford, San Diego, and wind her way back to Flushing Meadows via Cincinatti and Toronto, travel-wise.

I hope to hell she is playing New haven, too. We have to keep in mind: this is her "home stretch" for the season (including the Quebec event), because she will be getting married and is highly unlikely to drift back to Europe for the scattered indoor WTAs ... unless something really remarkable happens by the end of this summer. She may delve into the Challengers post-September, but only if she has to, and she will not want to "have to".

But let us also be of good cheer (as much as Lucic fans can be cheery folk). It only takes one or two really good runs to change the entire playing board.

She is putting a lot of eggs in one basket this hard-court season, but pros put eggs in baskets every time they hit the courts at one event, anywhere. I believe Ms. Lucic has already made crucial advances this season (though the ranking sadly doesn't reflect it because of the timing of her advances). I also feel confident that her form (except for a couple of eye-bleeding yips) is very good. Let's be honest: we all ought to be praying to the draw gods and hoping she can dig-in and nail two or even three rounds at the US Open in a flurry of inspired play. She could have done wonders at both Paris and Wimby, save for the draw demons.

I just want her to sizzle as best she can this summer and, if she only gets "so far", then put massive effort into being super-prepared and ballistic with her game right from the start next season. In many ways it has been a bigger breakthrough year for her than last year -- the two WTA quarters and the Top 50 wins and the general Big Babe form,the authority with which she is hitting the ball. Damn the timing, but she's been belting Top 40-50 ball out there.

Miki is due for a BIG breakthrough, and I still think it could come at any moment, if the stars align and her head stays screwed on.

As her long-suffering (and never bored) fans, we are also due for breakthroughs ;->

tennisfanML09
Jul 17th, 2011, 01:20 PM
mikireturns, i can say you put everyting niceliy in your post.. i would really like mirjana to have some good results, or to have few good results till the end of summer... as far as it concerns for us open i have no expectations 'cause she really didn't have luck with the draw at rolland garros and wimby; so if it happens again at us open we could call passing first round as a success... she still has some good events where she could do some damage and collect such an important ranking points... i pray for her to finish the year about 80's, everything better can be just a bonus, and evrything lower could be bad, 'cause it's gonna be important for the start of the next season... also, the reason why i would like her to have few more good results is 'cause she's getting married in fall, and i'm afraid if there's gonna be lack of results she may quit from tennis sonner then we or her has expected which would be a shame now when she finnaly got here where she is... if she's gonna be playing next season too, i belive she will improve more and more (in consistancy, winning matches, passing at least first round at slams etc. and result would be much higer ranking then she's has now.... so yes, i'm really interested what will be her tour schedule in next few months and further.....:bounce::wavey::hearts:

mikireturns
Jul 17th, 2011, 03:51 PM
mikireturns, i can say you put everyting niceliy in your post.. i would really like mirjana to have some good results, or to have few good results till the end of summer... as far as it concerns for us open i have no expectations 'cause she really didn't have luck with the draw at rolland garros and wimby; so if it happens again at us open we could call passing first round as a success... she still has some good events where she could do some damage and collect such an important ranking points... i pray for her to finish the year about 80's, everything better can be just a bonus, and evrything lower could be bad, 'cause it's gonna be important for the start of the next season... also, the reason why i would like her to have few more good results is 'cause she's getting married in fall, and i'm afraid if there's gonna be lack of results she may quit from tennis sonner then we or her has expected which would be a shame now when she finnaly got here where she is... if she's gonna be playing next season too, i belive she will improve more and more (in consistancy, winning matches, passing at least first round at slams etc. and result would be much higer ranking then she's has now.... so yes, i'm really interested what will be her tour schedule in next few months and further.....:bounce::wavey::hearts:

Yep. I don't think she will bag her comeback attempt without giving it a full press next year, too. Mirjana has been very aware that her progress back to the good times has been gradual. I think one of the best things about this whole return is that she could retire tomorrow, or next year, or whenever, and be able to go forward knowing she really and truly made it back to the tour and showed she could compete with the world's best. I mean, times have changed radically since she was a kid; just getting back to the status wherein a person can say, "I am one of 100 best tennis players on the planet" is a thing to be very proud of. And she has done that, and enjoyed some special breakthroughs (so relieved and stoked that she beat some Top 50 stars and reached two quarterfinal rounds this season). Now she is due for the next level of a breakthrough, but she has to keep her focus. She'll be just fine, no matter what. I totally think you will see her place the 2012 Olympics as a big goal. Very exciting. You will see her there, I believe.

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 17th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Looks like miki may be playing dallas before uso too

tennisfanML09
Jul 20th, 2011, 06:15 PM
can someone please tell me how much points is mirjana defending till US-Open and early after USO???:shrug:

ajmo!
Jul 20th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I totally think you will see her place the 2012 Olympics as a big goal. Very exciting. You will see her there, I believe.

I don't know exactly but I believe she'll have to enter top 50 early next year and also play Fed Cup to get spot in draw.

networthy
Jul 20th, 2011, 06:42 PM
can someone please tell me how much points is mirjana defending till US-Open and early after USO???:shrug:

Through the end of this year:

Stanford (July): 20
US Open (Aug): 160
Quebec (Sept): 30
Albuquerque (Sept): 110
Las Vegas (Sept): 32
Troy (Oct): 10
Grapevine (Nov): 10
Toyota (Nov): 58

That's a lot of points :eek: :scared:

tennisfanML09
Jul 21st, 2011, 05:31 AM
thank you networthy! ;)
wow, this realy is "big" points to defend... :sad::eek:
anyway, i just hope she'll do better at US-Open then she did at this years australien open, paris or wimbledon... as for other points is concerned, she'll have enough opportunities (at several events) to defend or even increase them...

it's gonna be tough schedule and probably miki will need some luck with draws; so GL MIKI for every upcomming event:wavey:!

tennisfanML09
Jul 22nd, 2011, 07:08 PM
does anybody knows when the draws (QD & MD) for Stanford is gonna be out???

networthy
Jul 23rd, 2011, 02:27 AM
does anybody knows when the draws (QD & MD) for Stanford is gonna be out???

Were done about 1.5 hours ago. Here's Mirjana's section:

(1) Azarenka v Bye
Arvidsson v Qualifier
Lucic v McHale
Date v (8 WC) Cibulkova

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 23rd, 2011, 05:36 AM
Tough draw but best of luck to Miki!!!

ajmo!
Jul 23rd, 2011, 09:47 AM
Not the best draw, McHale usually gives her best at home.

croat123
Jul 23rd, 2011, 10:07 AM
the draw could be much worse. she beat mchale on clay which seems to be mchale's favorite surface...

ajmo!
Jul 23rd, 2011, 11:15 AM
She says it's hard and last year she was really good on US hardcourt tournaments.
From Q to R2 in Stanford, last 16 in Cincinnati. This year she defeated Kuznetsova in Indian Wells..

She has ups and downs, just like Miki.

It could have been worse, surely.

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 23rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
Would love to see a rematch with Domi but one match at a time of course!!!

tennisfanML09
Jul 23rd, 2011, 02:27 PM
i'm totally with you croat123; i actually think it's (i'll be free to say) a good:) draw, for sure it's an opportunity for Mirjana; go,go,go Mirjana!:)
...and i expect her to reach QF!

qwertytx
Jul 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM
I also think it's a good draw, she's playing R1 against someone she has beaten. After that, the top women have been so inconsistent this year that you really can't predict who she will play as the tournament progresses. She can certainly compete with Domi or Kimiko.

SERVivor
Jul 23rd, 2011, 09:07 PM
This should be a competitive match. It's a toss up in my mind. McHale is on the rise. Miki can attack the relatively weak McHale second serve. I'd like to see a rematch with Cibulkova, although seeing Miki play Kimiko Date would be interesting for the completely divergent styles between them.

mikireturns
Jul 23rd, 2011, 11:53 PM
Gorgeous day at the Taube Family tennis center; Mirjana looking pretty darned fit (as fit as I've ever seen her) in practice. Got some photos and video of her session ... she was hitting right next to Cibulkova. I'm sure they had an eye on each other. Miki's hitting partner is making her WORK. Best of luck in the MD. Would also love to see her face Cibulkova again. We'll see ... won't we. Sunburnt and outta here ~~ Watched The Legendary GOATexandra Stevenson go down in an interesting match against the scrappy Boserup, saving 5 match points before the demise. I guess I won't make fun of her anymore.

Maybe.

kfh_9118
Jul 24th, 2011, 08:46 AM
better draw than I expect.
Good Luck Miki

auntie janie
Jul 24th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Gorgeous day at the Taube Family tennis center; Mirjana looking pretty darned fit (as fit as I've ever seen her)

No more bandages/taping, I hope? Sounds like the time off did her some good. :)

ajmo!
Jul 24th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Nice to see you'll be there to support her. Ajmo Mirjana! :)

mikireturns
Jul 24th, 2011, 05:16 PM
No more bandages/taping, I hope? Sounds like the time off did her some good. :)

Nope. No taping, bandages, or anything in her practice session. She did indeed look tanned and rested -- tanned no doubt from the massive swing across Europe. She has clearly not shirked her workouts in the little break period. More toned and muscular than last year:cool: She was hitting the casing off the ball and working some sweet mid-court drills. Lookin' good. Hope the best for her here and throughout her hard court tour. Let's keep our fingers crossed. I'm just going to avoid being upset with her roller-coasteresque tendencies. It's frankly just wonderful to see this woman even playing again at all, to say nothing of actually squeezing into such a tight main draw at such a long-standing WTA event like this. I was going to the Bank of the West before Mirjana even emerged as a phenom (so so so so so old!). One really does get the sense that she is "back" this year ... not just on the outside knocking at the window. She has her shot at the field. It does put things in perspective: last year I watched her toil against fellow qualifying hopefuls.

Yesterday, she took her turn on the practice courts with her fellow main draw big girls, right after Sammy Stosur.

[Excursus: Stosur has lost a GREAT deal of weight, btw. Interesting little fitness change, perhaps.]

Anecdote: A couple of guys very respectfully approached Azarenka at the edge of the track-field outside the Taube stadium; she wasn't yet engaged in her workout or really doing anything, she was just standing there with her coach, but was not in conversation with the coach, they were just in some interim mode, apparently. The one guy said, "I am a big fan. Would you mind autographing my hat and would it be okay if I got a picture?"

She said, "NO."

And she walked away. His other friends, standing just nearby, laughed their asses off and he was momentarily crestfallen. "What a total bitch," they said about her, though in a laughing fashion.

I was very disappointed in observing her behavior -- and they say the WTA has "problems" for what reason? This guy was not any sort of threatening presence and the atmosphere at Taube is very casual. All the players enter and exit from the track field gate and Mirjana would not have responded to someone like that. Last year, she and her "then coach" (Russell) were very gracious and stopped to say hello and chat for a minute when I said "Hi." Yeah, Mirjana was very: "I'm so glad I got through that match... wasn't it fun?...See you later in the tournament ... thanks for staying and cheering for me!"

A total sweetie-pie.

The WTA needs to send their supposed top "drawing cards" to charm-school, perhaps. I felt sort of bad for the dude, but he was a young, college-fella and I don't think the rejection will impact his life for posterity.

Marion Bartoli was absolutely radiant and warm and friendly in her gig at the shopping center, but she (not so surprisingly) is actually working-out in a different spot (Daddy's "secrets"). So is Serena. Serena is probably hitting with Kim Kardashian on the sidelines giving her tips. What else ... Ajla and one of her friends were total darlings asking to scoot past me to get a seat and scout the competition during one match. Coco is a doll (big. tall. doll.) Anyhow, I'm late for the matches and have to scoot myself, right NOW. Thank heaven for shuttle-service! And it was a "night of martinis" last night. I am running late!

Parting thought: I am hoping Mirjana gets the stadium court since she is playing American McHale. It is such an intimate venue as it is and the seating options are optimum for photo-taking if she is on stadium. I'll put the video up somewhere once I get home next week!

Shout-out to my glorious friend who is reading Dunces. Hee hee.

ajmo!
Jul 25th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Nice report. :yeah:

No doubles again. :sad:

croat123
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:35 AM
there's a live stream :) i think i put the link yesterday in ajla's thread

ajmo!
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:51 AM
can someone please record it? i won't be able to follow it :(

ma re
Jul 25th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Miki darling show your quirk,
you brightly shining piece of work:angel:

~~~/\~~~

rucolo
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:09 PM
We can watch Mirjana in Stanford. Ajmo, Mirjana! :cheer:

http://www.streamingtennis.com/Cardinal/livescoreboard1.html

tennisfan5
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:14 PM
she is all over the place. DFs, aces, but mostly errors :(. wish she could rein it in a BIT

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:27 PM
i'm really surprised with Mirjana losing the first set 6:1! :eek::sad:

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:28 PM
what is happening for gods sake!???????

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:30 PM
*15:40 Mirjana on serve!:-(

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:30 PM
0:2 not nice at all!

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:31 PM
0:2* 0:15* Mchale on serve

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Lucic-Mchale 0:30*

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:32 PM
0:40*

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:33 PM
0:3* oh god, this makes me so saaad.....

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:34 PM
and the match started just about half an hour ago....

tennisfanML09
*0:15

tennisfanML09
*0:30

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:35 PM
*15-30

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:35 PM
*30-30

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:36 PM
*40-30 please hold Mirjana!

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:37 PM
deuce

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:38 PM
her first serve is on 35%, that's really to low.... :-(

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:39 PM
statistic of the match is aughfull...

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:40 PM
break point Mchale, and break Mirjana vs Mchale 0:4

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:42 PM
i expected this to be much more competitve match than it is right now....

tennisfanML09
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:45 PM
obviously not her day....

rucolo
Jul 25th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Losing 1-6 0-6 in 45 mins. Piss-poor performance. Mirjana played 10k level :facepalm:

Very weak, lazy footwork/movement and 12 DFs in such a short match :o

qwertytx
Jul 25th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I feel dumb for even looking forward to her 2nd round match. Even on an off day she should not lose by that score to McHale.

mikireturns
Jul 26th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Um. Er. I don't know if there was streaming for this, but if so, then you all had the displeasure to see what I saw from courtside at Taube and I am still at a loss to describe it.

I mean, everyone in the crowd was embarrassed "for" her. It was painful to watch. I thought she would be so suited to that little stadium, to that cute little court, but she could not hit the broadside of a barn ... it was like she had no clue in a million years how to play tennis. Worse, McHale was not playing anything great. McHale serving kinda lousy and predictably ... nothing exceptional off the ground. Mirjana was just giving her everything. She would not slow down or even try to find a means to capture an ounce of rhythm.

I have never seen any pro play so horribly. Ack! There was no injury apparent, but I am thinking that Miki was sick. There has been a nasty flu going 'round and her listless, empty performance could very well be the result of that. She was just lost at sea out there. No focus, no footwork or energy. No nothin'.

I don't even think the match took 50 minutes! And the endless DFs. She was clearly embarrassed at the end. Poor Mirjana. Worst loss of her entire comeback. I was so bummed I didn't even stay to watch Date and Cibulkova tonight. I would only have been reminded of how close she came against Cibulkova at Wimby.

Now I wish Mirjana had been forced to qualify for this, because she didn't belong in a main draw with these girls this week. But, given today's display, I doubt she would have made it through quallies. My hopes for her season just took the biggest nosedive ever.

I say she was had some sort of 'flu and was sick as a dog, 'cause she sure played like a dog. But she didn't look sick. :confused:

Abysmal loss.

kfh_9118
Jul 26th, 2011, 03:29 AM
don't even know how to comment on this result. :facepalm:

ajmo!
Jul 26th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Wtf?

auntie janie
Jul 26th, 2011, 10:31 AM
There was a livestream, but I could only bear to watch about 4 points. What a nightmare. :sobbing:

ajmo!
Jul 26th, 2011, 10:59 AM
How? Why?

Is it because of surface? I don't get this.

On the start of the year she was having results like this, yes on HARD.
But then she came to Europe and except for two matches was winning or losing closely.
Just look at her latest results. Beating Vinci, losing to Ivanovic 3 & 4, losing 8-6 in third to Cibulkova, losing in 3 to Makarova and Rus. And some wins along the way. Even in Bastad she played well. Yes, she blew 4-1 in last set and 5-3 in first but she was UP! It's not easy to win set 6-2 against Cirstea.
Her level was high!

But this? I don't understand what's going on.
But why it would be because of surface? I mean, it sounds stupid but ever since she came back in 2008 she sucks on hard(take US Open and few tournaments after it as an exception).
This year she was losing easily to everyone on hard.

Back on the start once again. I just don't get this.
Such a strange year for Mirjana. In some matches she's closer than ever to the big win, in others she million years away from pro tennis.

I made myself like her less. Honestly, my friends, I did.
Because a year or two ago I couldn't stand this kind of loss without getting emotional.
Now, now I don't now. It's something like my body has produced a self defense mechanism every time Mirjana plays.

Take care, Miki!

kuroishijin
Jul 26th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I doubt that this poor result is because of surface.

She has glimpses here and there of good play but what is more sure is that she has a lot of serious, constant problems with basic tennis issues: reliable service and good movement on the court.
For her style of playing margins for errors are very limited, in other words if she is not really ready and able to serve and move well she would not be able to beat even less ordinary opponents.

Letís see how she would do rest of the season.

Lachrymarum
Jul 26th, 2011, 01:17 PM
As I posted in General Messages hopefully this will be a wake up call for Mirjana.
I've kind of forced myself to become less & less of a fan as well just so that I wouldn't become so depressed after an early loss.
I guess we'll see what happens in her next tournament - wherever that may be.

Pebbles
Jul 26th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Sorry you had to witness this in person, Mikireturns...can only imagine how disappointing that must be. If she is sick, maybe she shouldn't play. I remember when she beat Makarova who was rumored to have been sick, you did say that she shouldn't have played if she wasn't feeling good and that Mirjana still beat her fair and square. It just seems that these 'off' days are happening a little too often. Seems like RG vs Sharapova all over again. The sad fact is that there is no middle ground with Miki. It works or it doesn't. A loss like this one will hurt, but maybe that's no bad thing. Here's to hoping for better things elsewhere.

mikireturns
Jul 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Sorry you had to witness this in person, Mikireturns...can only imagine how disappointing that must be. If she is sick, maybe she shouldn't play. I remember when she beat Makarova who was rumored to have been sick, you did say that she shouldn't have played if she wasn't feeling good and that Mirjana still beat her fair and square. It just seems that these 'off' days are happening a little too often. Seems like RG vs Sharapova all over again. The sad fact is that there is no middle ground with Miki. It works or it doesn't. A loss like this one will hurt, but maybe that's no bad thing. Here's to hoping for better things elsewhere.

She didn't look sick, but we do not know how she was feeling physically. Either she was sick, in which case she ought not to have been out there, or else her mind was on anything but the game of tennis, in which case she has no business out there. I mean, if she won 20 points the whole match, I'd be very shocked (they flashed a few courtside stats on the scoreboard but I had to look away).

Perhaps this was like the Sharapova collapse, but I don't think so. McHale is no Sharapova, Stanford's Taube Stadium is no Roland Garros, and Mirjana started the Sharapova match playing quite well for a set. She stunk from the very beginning against McHale. No reason for any big-stage, Grand Slam-size nerves. Really, she looked like some 2nd-tier college girl who had maybe won a lottery prize to "Play against a real WTA pro!"

We all know her big game can be erratic, but there's erratic and then there's SOMETHING WRONG. There is no reason for any pro player to be unable to simply say, "Hey, I can't even keep the ball in play today, for some reason ... I need to slow it down until I at least feel like I can hit the ball ... I am losing anyhow, might as well do something--ANYTHING--to get myself together."

Mirjana didn't. It was so bad, I thought to myself, "Even if she tries to moonball a couple of times, or rush the net ... ANYTHING to get herself out of this funk." My gosh, if she had pulled a trio of bowling-pins out of her bag and started to juggle them, that would have been more acceptable. A pro should know at least a couple of little tricks to at least TRY when things are going that horrifically bad, and believe me, this was worse than bad. I mean, not even playing tennis, really. This was not a bad day at the office ... this was: "No one has even arrived at the office." The office was locked. With a big "Out to Lunch" sign on the door of the office. This sort of performance cannot be brushed aside as just a "bad day".

Honestly, I think Mirjana left her head in the locker-room. Anyway, this kind of crap is light years away from what a dedicated pro should "bring" to a basic WTA match against a very beatable player, a laid-back atmosphere, and nice opportunity for the taking. She has had tons of matches in the last few months, and it isn't the surface. Her game is ideal for this surface. Everyone in the crowd wanted her to do better, but even as a fan one is stunned to silence by the display.

I'm still hoping she was sick. Something was clearly wrong with her. One can only hope she finds some motivation in San Diego. Really, I would rather see her retire forever than produce one more "effort" like this. Beyond comprehension, unless she was sick or something is terribly wrong in her personal life.

On to the next event, and luckily she is entered in a lot of them. Still time to get her act together, if possible.

ajmo!
Jul 26th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Maybe she has some problems in private life. You never know.

Hele.
Jul 26th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Miki :hug:

mikireturns
Jul 28th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Some great tennis at Taube in Palo Alto. Too bad Mirjana is not anywhere in the mix of this stuff. Serena looking s.c.a.r.y.

At least Rodionova was "trying" as the bagels were shoved down her throat. Marion is looking really snappy, as is Kirilenko, but I think Serena has got this one snatched firmly in her Kim Kardashian-inspired manicure.

By the way, it looks like Mirjana is in the San Diego MD, and just barely made the qualifying cut in Cincinatti. Hope she shows up with a hell of a lot more motivation for these opportunities. She now needs to play matches every week from now until the Open, as many as she can manage, or it's curtains for her.

I'll post photos and video of Mirjana (practicing -- don't even dream I'll post vid of that "match" ... I deleted it toute de suite) when I get home. Cheerio~

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I still don't get this last match and I believe that something probably happened maybe like a minute or 10 minutes before match that totally destroyed Mirjana's focus.
It makes no sense.

And, Ian, you where there before.. watching Mirjana on training... Was she that bad? Did she look like a recreational player? ( I mean, on practice of course)

mikireturns
Jul 28th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I still don't get this last match and I believe that something probably happened maybe like a minute or 10 minutes before match that totally destroyed Mirjana's focus.
It makes no sense.

And, Ian, you where there before.. watching Mirjana on training... Was she that bad? Did she look like a recreational player? ( I mean, on practice of course)

She looked tough in practice, disciplined, and she was there days before her match.

Like I said before, she showed up with no intensity whatsoever, no focus, no apparent interest. She was swinging blindly and wildly at everything, as if unconcerned whether there would be a resulting "point" or not. I thought, perhaps, she was angry at being a little rusty right form the start and then just got so negative on herself she just threw the match. That's what it looked like to me. But her body language was not negative; she was not berating herself. Just going through the motions.

No fight in her whatsoever. No purpose. McHale was not in any way blowing her off the court. Mirjana was just making an error on every stroke, practically. Don't know why she didn't seem to care so blatantly about a main draw match against a familiar opponent with 60 points to be gained, but hope she fixes it. Maybe she had a fight with her fiance. Maybe she didn't want to face Cibulkova again. Who knows? She was a no-show on court that day.

Another show like that and I will have to wonder if she even wants to really make it back. Still, let's see who materializes in San Diego.

ajmo!
Jul 28th, 2011, 07:33 PM
They played 4 times now, 3 sets 60 for Mchale :help:

mikireturns
Jul 29th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Wow ... huge upset by Erakovic to topple Azarenka. It was great, and Miss Vicki was not too happy at all. Oh boy.

Yes, Mirjana has been given three bagels in three different matches by McHale, but it escapes me as to what her problem might be with this particular girl. McHale is scrappy and persistent and hits a decent ball, but she is not that spectacular, frankly. Watching the other day, even as awful as the match was, and watching McHale's game and what McHale was doing very closely, I always had the distinct impression that Mirjana could very easily have gotten right into every point, into the entire thing, at any minute, if only she had shown the slightest bit of focus. A shred of focus.

Who knows with Mirjana, really? Impossible to say or predict.

kuroishijin
Jul 29th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Time to move on and forget this...
What is her next tournament :devil:?

mikireturns
Jul 29th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Time to move on and forget this...
What is her next tournament :devil:?

Ah, but some matches can be burned upon the brain like vivid nightmares by Sheer Monumental Awfulness, especially in a "live" setting. And I move on when it suits me. That being said, Mirjana is entered in the main draw at the Mercury Insurance Premier event in San Diego (which has also been discussed).

56-player draw, this time, less points per early round.

Pray for Lucic to draw Ivanovic or Stosur, who are about as confident as she is, lately. Think of the possibilities: an Erratic Extravaganza.

SERVivor
Jul 30th, 2011, 09:02 AM
she drew the Chinese girl she beat in U.S. Open qualifying last year according to the tournament thread.

ajmo!
Jul 30th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Not true, she actually drew Jie ZHENG
40 points if she wins it, also Vinci or Jovanovski in R2.

SERVivor
Jul 30th, 2011, 10:09 AM
oh, sorry. the draw thread just said "Lucic v. Zheng" The Chinese players have such similar names. In any case, this "Zheng" is higher ranked than the one I thought she was playing. She's a little backboard but from what I remember has not been in great form this year. Good luck to Mirjana!

kfh_9118
Jul 30th, 2011, 11:56 AM
good draw for me, I like both players, and both are in slumps, at least one will get the much needed ranking pts :lol:

xcrtbckhnd
Jul 30th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Gl Miki! Nothing to lose here so just go for it!!!

kuroishijin
Jul 30th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Ah, but some matches can be burned upon the brain like vivid nightmares by Sheer Monumental Awfulness, especially in a "live" setting. And I move on when it suits me. That being said, Mirjana is entered in the main draw at the Mercury Insurance Premier event in San Diego (which has also been discussed).

56-player draw, this time, less points per early round.

Pray for Lucic to draw Ivanovic or Stosur, who are about as confident as she is, lately. Think of the possibilities: an Erratic Extravaganza.

Praise the Lord it is very good draw, let's hope that she would be able to put her game together... In any way I would try to check results after match is over lol.

networthy
Jul 30th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Zheng is in a slump but is still ranked 20+ spots higher than Mirjana and was as high as #15 just two years ago. Seeing as Mirjana could get only one game off McHale, I'm afraid she's going down in flames... :sobbing:

tennisfanML09
Jul 31st, 2011, 07:00 AM
seeing mirjana getting good draw at san diego i hope she'll put herself and her game together!;):wavey:

mikireturns
Jul 31st, 2011, 03:22 PM
Well, amazing what Serena is doing here in Palo alto: really makes
Mirjana's craptastic performance against Mchale seem even crappier. It is stunning that Serena parties for a year with a trollop like kardashian and comes back in a few weeks to kick everyone's asses. Miss mirjana had better bring some gumption to the court in San Diego if she truly considers herself a "talented" player. Time to put it on the line.

SERVivor
Aug 1st, 2011, 05:06 PM
Zheng is in a slump but is still ranked 20+ spots higher than Mirjana and was as high as #15 just two years ago. Seeing as Mirjana could get only one game off McHale, I'm afraid she's going down in flames... :sobbing:

Well, Lucic has actually won more matches then Zheng this season. The McHale match was indeed pathetic, but Mirjana can bounce back, especially if she is mentally focused. Zheng lost to Jill Craybas last week in D.C. so her form is not great. If Lucic were on a long string of bad mathces, I would be more worried, but I'm not going to panic because of one bad match, however bad it was.

SERVivor
Aug 1st, 2011, 05:13 PM
Match just started. She has already won two points on Zheng's serve in one game. I don't think she did that the whole match last week against McHale

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2011, 05:48 PM
4-5, Miki on serve
5 DF's already

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM
from 2-5 to 5-5, hope this means she's getting her game together

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2011, 05:53 PM
6-5 up and serving for set

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2011, 05:58 PM
3 set points
2 left
40:30 so 1 left
take it miki!

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2011, 05:58 PM
again 2nd serve :scared:

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2011, 05:59 PM
Mirjana wins first set 7-5 after being 2-5 down. Hope this means she's playing her(good) tennis.

Still, 5 DF's and no aces.

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:01 PM
wow:eek: what a comeback in first set!!!! :bounce:

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:07 PM
break after 40-15 for 7-5 *1-0

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:19 PM
I wish she could get more first serves in... 7-5 2-1 30-30

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:20 PM
and two more second serves and she's broken. Too bad, 5 everytime she got first serve in she got the point in set 2, on the other hand only 2/9 on 2nd.

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:20 PM
So from 2-5 to 7-5 2-0... than 7-5 2-2.. what's next?

ajmo!
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:33 PM
7-5 2-5.. have to go now... suprise me mirjana please!

networthy
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:33 PM
So from 2-5 to 7-5 2-0... than 7-5 2-2.. what's next?

7-5 2-5

Won seven games in a row, and now has lost the last five...

croat123
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:36 PM
Any score updates? I can't follow them on my phone :(

tennisfan5
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM
Mirjana lost the second set 2-6. Just got broken after being 40-15 up, down 0-2 third set.

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM
7-5 2-6 0-2

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:48 PM
7-5 2-6 0-3 Oh god, not again!

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:50 PM
if only Mirjana could make a run as she did in first set!!!

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM
Mirjana on serve 15*-15

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM
1-3

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:52 PM
there's still hope...

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM
0-15*

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 06:55 PM
1-4

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:00 PM
1-5 (Mirjana is broken) this is over i guess.... shame, she was leading 7-5 2-0

SERVivor
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:05 PM
she broke from 0-40 3 match points down. LOL.

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:06 PM
2*-5 well, still not over :-)

croat123
so, pretty much after 7-5 2-0 she got destroyed just like against mchale :o

tennisfanML09
is there a chance for comeback????

SERVivor
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM
held for 3-5. She must relax when she is hopelessly behind. Now she actually has a chance so let see what happens. only one break down now

croat123
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
please miki....

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
3-5 :-) oh, if Mirjana could make a break here! what a comeback it would be!!!!

croat123
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:11 PM
all of her matches are so weird :o

SERVivor
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:12 PM
back on serve. keep it up

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:13 PM
wow, she broke _Zheng... this is really a chance to turn it over!!!! she's serving for 5-5 now!!!!! if only....

SERVivor
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:16 PM
30-30. If she can win this game, I think she'll win the match.

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:20 PM
5-5 i can't belive this, this is a chance! she was 1-5 down in deciding set! gosh, if only!!!!!

SERVivor
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:23 PM
she was actually down 1-5 0-40

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:25 PM
oh, Mirjana is serving at 5*-6 (for going to tie break!)

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:26 PM
it's tie break!!!! wow!

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:27 PM
now get some first serves in!

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:31 PM
does anybody knows what's the score in tie break?

SERVivor
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM
bad tiebreak with few first serves in. Still, she almost pulled it out. that would have been an amazing comeback. this was much better than losing 0 and 1 to McHale.

tennisfan5
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM
it's over--she lost :(

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:37 PM
she lost third set in tie break 7-5 2-6 6-7 (3-7) such a shame, she was so close to make it to second round....

Ballbasher
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:38 PM
Ever since that Vinci everything has gone into the wrong direction :( :bigcry: :bigcry: I really hope she does not get too down. Hopefully she will play some ITFs soon again!

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 07:44 PM
well, at least she was grinding it hard, she was there and so close...i can't say this loss doesn't hurt but.... no choice then turning to her next tournament.... from now on i really do not have any expectations...

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 08:00 PM
so is it Dallas where she'll play next???

networthy
Aug 1st, 2011, 08:01 PM

This.

tennisfanML09
Aug 1st, 2011, 08:02 PM
these loses lately made me being woried.... :-(

auntie janie
Aug 1st, 2011, 08:55 PM

Yes, this is definitely the MK theme song.

Still, so great to find out about the return of her fighting spirit after that last strange fiasco. Still glad I didn't watch, though! It's not every day that one feels up to boarding a roller coaster. :awww:

qwertytx
Aug 1st, 2011, 10:02 PM
Losing is losing, but I suppose coming back from 1-5 to lose feels wayyyy better than losing after being up 5-1. This shouldn't sting for too long.

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 2nd, 2011, 12:04 AM
Good fight just wish it ended differently

kfh_9118
Aug 2nd, 2011, 03:27 AM
just glad I didn't follow the livescore.
Happy for Zheng, but Miki :sobbing:

She will be lucky to even stay in Top 100 at the end of this year.

mikireturns
Aug 2nd, 2011, 04:20 AM
Oh no! Poor mirjana! Just saw this result and am heartbroken for her; worse I am sending this from my stupid phone on the way home from Stanford. Damn damn damn -- mirjana was clearly fighting, as opposed to the disaster in Palo alto. A 7-6 loss in the third set! Well, she has to keep going and I am hoping for a run at the us open. Damn, she just can't catch a break in 3-set matches this year. Wish we could give her a collective hug. Still, this is light years better than her silliness at Stanford. Trust me, kids ... A hurtful loss, but at least she was obviously "involved" in the actual match. I will have more reports and photo/video when I get home poor dear miki :-(

ajmo!
Aug 2nd, 2011, 08:22 AM
Until this year she was something like 7-0 in 3rd set tie break and also I don't think she ever lost third set 7-5.
Now, in the last few months Cirstea, Cibulkova and Zheng.

ajmo!
Aug 3rd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Here we go again- Zheng was leading Vinci 64 *5-0, now it's 5-2.. stil two breaks..

:crying2:

And Mirjana walks away with nothing... AGAIN.. I can't stand this.

SERVivor
Aug 6th, 2011, 12:19 AM
She plays Benesova in Montreal Qualifying. Benesova is kind of streaky herself so should be a different dynamic than the backboards she played the last two weeks.

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:23 PM
lucic leads 4-3 benesova serving

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:26 PM
4-4 Mirjana on serve

tennisfanML09
30-0

tennisfanML09
30-15

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:27 PM
30-30

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:27 PM
30-40

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:28 PM
broken 4-5 benesova serving for first set

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:31 PM
0-15* benesova serving :sad::help:

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:31 PM
0-40

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Mirjana lost first set 6-4:crying2::shrug:

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Mirjana on serve 15-15

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:35 PM
30-15

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:36 PM
30*-30

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM
30*-40

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM
40*-40

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:38 PM
40*-a

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:39 PM
40-40

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:40 PM
A-40

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:42 PM
broken; Benesova leads 1-0 and serving

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:43 PM
:tears:

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:44 PM
30-40*

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:45 PM
deuce (chance!)

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:46 PM
40-a* :-(

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:46 PM
again deuce

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:47 PM
40-A* again

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:48 PM
benesova leads 2-0

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Miki on serve 15-15

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:49 PM
15*-30

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:50 PM
30-30

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:50 PM
40-30

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Lucic vs Benesova 4-6 1-2

ajmo!
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:52 PM
only 6 points less and she's a set and break down.. not cool :sad:

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:53 PM
benesova on serve 0-15*

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:54 PM
15-15

tennisfanML09
15-30*

tennisfanML09
15-40*

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:55 PM
1*-3

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:56 PM
15*-40??????

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:58 PM
1-4* seams things are going awfuly wrong for Mirjana

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 07:00 PM
hard to belive there will be a comeback for Mirjana in this match

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 07:06 PM
benesova on serve 4-6 2-5* 0-15*

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 07:07 PM
3 match points benesova

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Benesova - Lucic: 6-4 6-2

tennisfanML09
Aug 6th, 2011, 07:14 PM
now when i acctualy belived she will start to win "this kind" of matches she's loosing badly in first rounds; either qualies or first round MD matches; i'm quite worried 'cause US Open is near and Mirjana could slump badly in rankings.... i said i have no more expectations but i always hope for her to get some nice result... hope that something will change soon; in other words hope she'll start to win some matches....

auntie janie
Aug 6th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately Mirjana just hasn't been able to make the transition from challenger level to WTA level competition. What a letdown this season must be for her, with all the high hopes she must have had in January. I wish she would have played the Vancouver 100K last week, which Dokic won last year. By now, she's forgetting how to win. :sad:

mikireturns
Aug 7th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Unfortunately Mirjana just hasn't been able to make the transition from challenger level to WTA level competition. What a letdown this season must be for her, with all the high hopes she must have had in January. I wish she would have played the Vancouver 100K last week, which Dokic won last year. By now, she's forgetting how to win. :sad:

Somewhat to the contrary, due to a break and distractions, she lost her focus/form in the first part of the year when she could have been raking-in lots of security-points, and then in early summer she suddenly made huge breakthroughs she had not managed to make since her teens (two WTA quarterfinals on two different surfaces, beating a number of Top 50 players), seriously challenging other stars (Medina, Ivanovic), then she narrowly missed golden chances at Eastbourne & Wimbledon against very tough seeds (Makarova, Cibulkova), recovered slightly to guarantee her US Open MD berth (via Cuneo), lost an insane choke-match in Bastaad (Cirstea) and, in my opinion, made the HUGE mistake of pulling out of Palermo, where she interrupted her form, could have corrected the yips, gone far, and maybe pulled out of Stanford, where she ultimately squatted on court to lay one of the biggest, most deformed eggs of her career.

Mirjana has the talent and even some key results this year, but she cannot maintain focus during individual matches, or for significant periods of time. She loses her groove very swiftly from week-to-week, sometimes displays a debilitatingly negative mindset, and is essentially going nowhere.

I could easily see her losing every single match remaining this season, or I could easily see her making one big run at a key event ... while losing everything else. Take your pick.

She's trying hard most of the time, and deserves lots of credit for that, but ultimately she is too moody and not strong enough, mentally, to make a truly notable impact. And she will soon be 30yrs. old. If it were going to "happen", it would have happened by now.

Enjoy the rather stunning things she has managed to do (Top 100 re-entry, playing again on Wimbledon Centre Court, winning a Slam match at the US Open again, beating Top 30-50 stars again, reaching two WTA-level quarters in a single season again, finally earning a million bucks in prize-money,travelling the world with a shot at the biggest fields in tennis, managing a couple of Challenger titles, and giving it all a lot of hard work).

Cheer more for her chance at a happy personal life, now. She doesn't have the game or mindset to be a "steady", late-blooming successful journeywoman, a la Bammer or Craybas. She is what she is.

But I disagree that she did not make the transition from Challengers. She did make it ... she just didn't do anything with it once she got those crucial WTA quarters and Top 50 wins. Life goes on.

She's a great girl and is already a success and will continue to be one in many other areas.

Sasja
Aug 7th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Enjoy the rather stunning things she has managed to do (Top 100 re-entry, playing again on Wimbledon Centre Court, winning a Slam match at the US Open again, beating Top 30-50 stars again, reaching two WTA-level quarters in a single season again, finally earning a million bucks in prize-money,travelling the world with a shot at the biggest fields in tennis, managing a couple of Challenger titles, and giving it all a lot of hard work).

This is so true.

Graf said that Miki at 15 y.o. was better than she was at 15. But that was in 1997. The tour has changed so much since that time, but she is still competing. And who knows what she would have achieved if she didn't have to deal with all the personal problems she had to face?

For players it can be hard coming back from and injury, let alone coming back after years of not playing. What she has done coming back after years of not competing on the tour. She had to start all over again as an unranked player playing quallies for 25k's and working herself up the rankings again.

I think she just wanted to come back, playing on the tour again and most important: enjoying tennis again :)

And look what she has done: she reached the top 100 in 1997 and 14 years later she has done it again :hatoff: That's AMAZING. She played against Graf, Novotna, Sanchez-Vicario, Pierce, Seles, Capriati & Hingis and she's still competing. In the top 100, playing all 4 GS and playing in the bigger stadiums.

I think she will be proud of the things she has done and so she should be. And she realises there is more to life than tennis. So many people will be inspired by her story.

But yeah, some of her losses have been a bit dissapointing. And also she was a bit unlucky with some draws (R1 RG vs Sharapova, R1 Eastbourne vs Makarova who is a really good grass court player, R1 Wimbledon vs Cibulkova losing 8-6 in the final set).

About Toronto: the Q-draw here is so tough. The last direct entry in the MD is like nr 40-45. So a lot tougher than maybe any regular WTA tournament. So bad luck for Miki :hug:

ajmo!
Aug 7th, 2011, 08:01 AM
It's still not late. But something will have to change.
Should come back to challengers after US Open and get some points and confidence for new season.

Sasja
Aug 7th, 2011, 08:14 AM
It's still not late. But something will have to change.
Should come back to challengers after US Open and get some points and confidence for new season.

A challenger could be a good idea. With the US Open points coming off (2nd round after Q).
Getting a few wins in a row and some ranking points. So far she only played 3 challengers this year.
But I guess she prefers WTA tournaments now.

She had to play lots of challengers to get her ranking back up. And now she has done that and can get into WTA tournaments MD/Q, she wants to do that. Probably she's had enough of the challengers :lol:

But maybe she feels like getting closer to the end of her career and right now only wants to play the tournaments that she loves a.k.a. the bigger events.

Hopefully she will have a good run at the USO so she can defend last years points :angel:

ajmo!
Aug 7th, 2011, 09:36 AM
But a lot of points to defend: US Open R2, New Mexico 75k title etc.
She better be in big form if she decides to play WTA's in Asia.

auntie janie
Aug 7th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Somewhat to the contrary, due to a break and distractions, she lost her focus/form in the first part of the year when she could have been raking-in lots of security-points, and then in early summer she suddenly made huge breakthroughs she had not managed to make since her teens (two WTA quarterfinals on two different surfaces, beating a number of Top 50 players), seriously challenging other stars (Medina, Ivanovic), then she narrowly missed golden chances at Eastbourne & Wimbledon against very tough seeds (Makarova, Cibulkova), recovered slightly to guarantee her US Open MD berth (via Cuneo), lost an insane choke-match in Bastaad (Cirstea) and, in my opinion, made the HUGE mistake of pulling out of Palermo, where she interrupted her form, could have corrected the yips, gone far, and maybe pulled out of Stanford, where she ultimately squatted on court to lay one of the biggest, most deformed eggs of her career.

Mirjana has the talent and even some key results this year, but she cannot maintain focus during individual matches, or for significant periods of time. She loses her groove very swiftly from week-to-week, sometimes displays a debilitatingly negative mindset, and is essentially going nowhere.

I could easily see her losing every single match remaining this season, or I could easily see her making one big run at a key event ... while losing everything else. Take your pick.

She's trying hard most of the time, and deserves lots of credit for that, but ultimately she is too moody and not strong enough, mentally, to make a truly notable impact. And she will soon be 30yrs. old. If it were going to "happen", it would have happened by now.

Cheer more for her chance at a happy personal life, now. She doesn't have the game or mindset to be a "steady", late-blooming successful journeywoman, a la Bammer or Craybas. She is what she is.

But I disagree that she did not make the transition from Challengers. She did make it ... she just didn't do anything with it once she got those crucial WTA quarters and Top 50 wins. Life goes on.

She's a great girl and is already a success and will continue to be one in many other areas.

These are all good points, except I think she was piling up too many niggling injuries to have made a good run at Palermo anyway -- remember the last time we saw her play in Europe she was bandaged on both arms, one knee, and one thigh, I think!

And I also suspect that Sasja is correct, that Miki would rather give these WTA events a try than win a lot of easier points at a challenger. She played on that grueling challenger circuit for a long time and for better or worse, she probably doesn't want to go back as long as she can get into WTA Q draws. After all, reaching the WTA level again is the first big goal of a comeback. Some players at Miki's ranking level are happy to go back and forth between the ITFs and WTA, but maybe Miki just had her fill and feels like it's WTA or nothing. Which is understandable.

ajmo!
Aug 8th, 2011, 11:10 AM
http://www.wtatennis.com/gallery/20110807/carlsbad-gallery-finals-fashion-more_2256674_2413174?imageNo=7#picture

qwertytx
Aug 8th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Great pic, I wish her results could match the other two players with her. Hopefully she can have a strong US Open.

SERVivor
Aug 13th, 2011, 05:29 AM
She plays Monica Niculuscu in qualifying at Cincy tomorrow. Monica lost to Petra Martic in Q R2 last week in Toronto. Not the easiest opponent in the draw.

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 07:06 AM
yes, and if she wins against niculescu (59-wta) she would most likely play anastasia sevastova (66-wta).... despite both of these players are very solid, good players i belive mirjana could qualify for MD... Mirjana can beat anybody when she's playing good! hope Mirjana will have cool head and, ofcourse, hope it's really gonna happen for her at Cincinnati! passing qualies would bring her 30 ranking points and one main draw win 70 points... go for it girl and do your best, you can do it!!!!!:wavey:

ajmo!
Aug 13th, 2011, 11:22 AM
time to do some damage..
zheng's flying ever since that match when she won 7-6 in third against miki.. she was nowhere to be seen before and now she's winning matches and also winning sets against serena, hantuchova etc.

mirjana just needs a bit of luck and she'll be on fire.. it will happen sooner or later..

go! go! go miki lucic!

networthy
Aug 13th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Lucic-Niculescu now on the scoreboard. I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling this is going to suck.

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Mirjana was loosing 1-3, came to 3-3 and then was broken for 3-4 :sad:

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:06 PM
niculescu on serve

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:07 PM
15-15*

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:07 PM
15-30*

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:09 PM
3-5 Miki back on serve

tennisfanML09
:fiery:

tennisfanML09
*0-15

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:11 PM
30*-15

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:11 PM
40*-15

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:12 PM
4-5* Niculescu on serve

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:16 PM
30-30*

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:17 PM
40-30* Mirjana has a break point!!!!

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:17 PM
5*-5 Way to go girl! Mirjana on serve!

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:19 PM
0*-30:fiery::confused:

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:26 PM
niculescu leads 6-5

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Mirjana lost first set 5-7

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:27 PM
:-( again not sharp enough in key moment(s)

SERVivor
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:30 PM
She needs to up the first serve percentage. She got only 35% first serves in play. If she can do that, she has a chance to win. If not, no way.

SERVivor
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:33 PM
oops. she did up the first serve percentage in the first game and lost it easily. It's always hard to serve first in the second set right after losing the first.

SERVivor
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:38 PM
she is completely self destructing.

tennisfanML09
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:42 PM
0-4 :-(

SERVivor
Aug 13th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I'm pretty confident she tanked the second set.

auntie janie
Aug 14th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Wish we could just put this whole disastrous summer into Rewind and start it over ... and that goes for Lucic and Dokic both.

networthy
Aug 14th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Wish we could just put this whole disastrous summer into Rewind and start it over ... and that goes for Lucic and Dokic both.

Not just this summer but also the first four months of the year :tape:

mikireturns
Aug 14th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Oh shit. Just saw the score. Only 4 points in the second set???

For shame, Mirjana. For shame. She clearly tanked. But I feel for her. She is in a massive frustration cycle.

Losing is never fun and just destroys confidence. But her attitude really stinks, to clearly just tank the second set after all the fight we saw from her last year in similar tough matches.

I had the worst feeling ever when I saw her throw that racket after blowing glorious leads against Cirstea; she was damaging her own psyche, badly. Showing frustration is normal and healthy, but that was bad bad bad energy from Mirjana.

Then, of course, the horror of the McHale match, right before my very eyes. She just didn't give a shit, apparently, and she threw a tantrum in the second set, too, today, clearly. Poor Mirjana.

These are her moments of opportunity, and she is blowing them all at the worst possible times. She found great form in May-July, and if she had had that form from January-April she would already be in the top 50 right now.

I wish the best for her, and there is always the possibility of a miracle at a big event like the Open, but with petulant kiss-off performances like this (only four points in an entire set!???) her days are numbered on the tour.

I think the most unfortunate thing is that this very talented girl should have had top-of-the-line coaching from the very start of her comeback in 2007. She should have had someone strong ... a girl with a big game like that needs a lot of top-flight coaching and training to harness that sort of groundstroking.

Mirjana did her best with what she had, but I shudder to think of what might have been if her wonderful talent had been nurtured instead of interrupted the way it was.

No, Ajmo! it is still not "too late" but I think even the most pollyanna denizens of this Mirjana forum would have to finally agree that she is absolutely sinking in the mud and becoming a bit of a joke with performances like this.

4 points in an entire set. Oh, Mirjana.

Get thee to a sports psychologist.

She knows she can compete, because she is challenging these girls, but she is hating on herself because she has lost her nerve in key moments.

Being a spoiled baby about it and tanking sets will not solve the problem. Poor kid. I do feel for her.

Sasja
Aug 14th, 2011, 05:18 AM
:o Just 4 points in the 2nd set against Niculescu.

That's a bad loss :sad:

ajmo!
Aug 14th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Worst set ever? WTF? 4 points to Niculescu :scared:

Kathy Rinaldi
Aug 14th, 2011, 10:56 AM
I saw the match and unfortunately at the moment Ms Lucic has zero interest in competing. She only wants to win if it comes easily and if she can knock her opponents over with one or two strokes. Strange that she would fight so hard on the ITF tour for 5 years only to regress to self destructing prformances once she's finally back on tour. Hopefully it's a phase, but she has to realise these girls are good and if she wants it she has to fight.

mikireturns
Aug 14th, 2011, 02:42 PM
These sorts of shit performances are very disturbing from her, but if Rinaldi saw the match, then Miss Kathy is seeing what I saw in Stanford, i.e. Mirjana just hating herself because she can't knock these girls out fast.

But she was in her groove in May and June. Didn't keep her head and get that big win she needed (a top 10 or top 20 scalp, or at least a round or two in a Slam).

I fully expect her to retire at the end of this year. After a shameful bagel set loss and only four points against a journeywoman/tomato-can like Nicolescu, what's the point anymore?

I really do feel for her plight ... so much talent and hard work, but she simply could not afford (or did not find) the ideal coach who would meet the unique needs of a nervous, big-game personality.

Solutions? Start fighting again, Mirjana. Get your head into a match, get a win, and build on it.

I do think she is discovering that her comeback is not just going to be some sort of picnic, but it is no picnic for anyone out there, and she is clearly her own worst enemy right now.

4 points only in a set against the great & legendary Nicolescu?

Inexcusable.

On a good day I could probably win a set against Nicolescu.

Mizz Lucic needs to sit down and take a long, hard look at what she wants in her tennis life ... fast. After the McHale debacle (which I saw) and this cringe-inducing bagel-set (which speaks for itself in terms of sheer awfulness), I can say that Mirjana is a totally shitty tennis player. And I am her fan!

Not good.

Pebbles
Aug 14th, 2011, 03:43 PM
It's sad to see her struggling again, things were definitely looking up a couple months ago.

mikireturns
Aug 14th, 2011, 04:20 PM
It's sad to see her struggling again, things were definitely looking up a couple months ago.

You are quite correct about the way things were looking "up" but, frankly, I would be thrilled to just see her even "struggle" at this point.

Struggling implies fight ... and she is not fighting. She is tanking and sucking.

Think a great deal of her crap is to be blamed on the Cibulkova loss. She had great momentum, she was poised for a win against that top 30 player, and just couldn't/didn't close the deal.

That was her moment, because if she had won, I do believe she would have went on a massive run at Wimbledon.

But Mirjana needs to pick up the pieces, even after heartbreakers. Especially after them.

I mean, this is what she wanted -- a shot at the WTA. Her chance arrives and she is imploding instead of exploding? Senseless and lame.

I won't give up on her, even though she deserves a dressing-down from her coach after such a crapfest as the second set of the Niculescu match.

She has Dallas and the Open, and then she falls seriously off the radar.

Wake up, Mirjana. Are you out there to really "come back" or just pose a bit and fart-around on the circuit?

I have to believe she truly wants it and is just in a bad bad bad space right now.

ajmo!
Aug 14th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Still have a feeling she never recovered from that Wimbledon loss.
It's like she lost the energy and motivation. It's probably not easy after Wimbledon but c'mon Miki you're not somewhere in pošajgror, you're on WTA Tour. Stanford, San Diego, Toronto, Cinci.. Big tournaments, wake up already.

She needs big run in NY. And she ain't gonna get it this way.

mikireturns
Aug 20th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Oh, of course. Mirjana plays no. 2 cibulkova in the first round.

Well, Guys ... Either the biggest insult ever by the tennis gods or one he'll of a chance for massive revenge.

Mirjana ... What will you do with this chance?

I mean, Cibulkova has been in almost all of her draws since Wimbledon.

Time for a miracle, if miracles exist.

Sasja
Aug 20th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Against Domi again :tape:
Hope she is all fired up to get her revenge!

BTW: Domi has been struggling with injury the last couple of weeks. WD in the SF of Stanford against Bartoli, retired in R1 of Toronto with a abdominal muscle strain and did not play Cincy.

ajmo!
Aug 20th, 2011, 03:27 PM
So she's probably ready now (Domi) :lol:
I would consider it good sign before Open if she could play 3 sets again.

ajmo!
Aug 21st, 2011, 11:08 AM
Not in doubles and draw is such a JOKE. :(

tennisfan5
Aug 23rd, 2011, 02:01 AM
my eyes may be deceiving me, but Mirjana is playing with a bit of SPIN! A lot smarter--great to see. Haven't seen those wild UEs

tennisfan5
Aug 23rd, 2011, 02:06 AM
after long game, gets broken back 1-1

showing a slice, high ball though--nice

tennisfan5
Aug 23rd, 2011, 02:17 AM
fights back from 0-40 down, but broken. 3-1 cibulkova

playing better than previous matches, but still few too many errors

tennisfan5
Aug 23rd, 2011, 02:32 AM
mirjana breaks back with a couple of winners *3-4

solid service game 4-4

tennisfan5
Aug 23rd, 2011, 02:40 AM
up 0-30, 2 second serve return errors, forehand return error, groundstroke error. *4-5

tennisfan5
Aug 23rd, 2011, 02:43 AM
gift-wraps the set 4-6. just too many UEs

mikireturns
Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:22 AM
:oh: :cuckoo:

Lachrymarum
Aug 23rd, 2011, 03:37 AM
:yawn: should I even care about her performance at the US Open?

qwertytx
Aug 23rd, 2011, 04:04 AM
:yawn: should I even care about her performance at the US Open?

She probably doesn't, why should you? Joking aside, she is not at a WTA level right now. I imagine she doesn't want to go back to playing ITF's after the hard work to get back to WTA tournaments. I know the R1 prize money at the USO will help her tremendously, but I really hope that afterwards she can make the right decision and either play ITFs or call it a career. She's just out of sorts out there right now and I would love to see her regain her confidence at some smaller tournaments, and be able to return to the WTA and win some of these close matches she's losing right now.

tennisfan5
Aug 23rd, 2011, 04:13 AM
She was actually in almost every game, just lost any time it went to deuce. There were improvements from the last matches, just too many UEs at the wrong times. I think she knows she has to rein it in. Has she won first set could have been different. Unless she gets an easy first round at the Open, could be ugly though

Sasja
Aug 23rd, 2011, 05:21 AM
It was such a bad draw for her which is a shame because she could have a used a bit of match practice with USO coming up.

But that makes it 6 straight R1 losses now. Not good for her confidence :sad:

Hope for a kind R1 draw at the USO #fingerscrossed# :angel:

mikireturns
Aug 23rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
US Open

Round 1

Mirjana Lucic def. Mirjana Lucic 6-0 6-0 !

Seriously, she showed a little bit more effort out there against Cib than she has in recent disasters, but mentally she is a trainwreck. That match was all sorts of "winnable" -- Cibulkova was not in good form at all. The problem is not just Lucic's staggering number of errors, or the lousy times in which she makes them, it's the extreme awfulness of the errors. Serves landing beyond the baseline. Routine backhands flying wide of the doubles alley. Simple forehands flailing to the surface of the moon.

I am surprised that, with her age and all the ITF grinding, she does not have more tricks up her sleeve, mentally and strategically, when things go so terrifically awry (as they have been). How many bagels is that for her since Wimbledon?

Always wish the best for her, but you could see it on her face: She's over the idea of really fighting. That is why she is so careless when any chance presents itself.

Still, it only takes one win to turn everything around in tennis. We have seen it before.

Likely, in her case? No. With her current mindset, I can't see her winning a whole match against anyone in the Top 125 unless that person has a peg-leg, an eye-patch, and a parrot on their shoulder.

But only one match ... one match can change it.I look at the Zhengh match (a loss!!!) as the only promising note in a very dismal summer for Lucic. She CAN go the distance, on the right day.

Sadly, she will literally need to win at least two matches next week to keep from spinning out of the Top 100, probably forever.

GL, Mirjana. A crazy soft draw would help, obviously. Or would it?