PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Calender Update - No more Egypt-Wimbledon Warm-up :(

VeeJJ
Jul 9th, 2011, 04:35 AM
2012 Calender *UPDATED 5/19/11* (http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/Archive/AboutTheTour/TourCalendar_2012.pdf)

Updated as of 5-19-11. Guessing this new update was recently released. I think Egypt is the only change.

R.I.P :( This concept should be moved somewhere else.

http://www.ott3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/tennis-court.jpg.jpg

The Kaz
Jul 9th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Brisbane is officially a Premier and Budapest has been moved to the regular clay season.

VeeJJ
Jul 9th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Egypt was one of the best concepts in a while. The need a good grass tournament like this. I vote Ireland should get a nice Grass tournament like this.

Fantasy Hero
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I also liked the idea of a grass tourny outside of the regular places :yeah: i hope they menage to make it elsewhere

jonny84
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Wonder where the TBD in the first week of the year will take place?

longtin23
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:31 AM

Maybe Hong Kong HAHA

AnomyBC
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I guess they went there and realized there wasn't any grass there :)

duhcity
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Brisbane finally got over themselves and paid up some money. Good to see
A solid clay season. But oy, that's a rough HC summer.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:01 AM
USO OPEN SERIES is gonna see its biggest fail ever :spit: top players might totally skip the US hard season :shrug:

nevetssllim
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Hopefully this means a stronger field for Birmingham. :D

SVK
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Oh NO they completely ruined the GOAT week Baku / Bad Gastein / Budapest:tears:

Doha + Bogota sounds interesting...Bogota from bad week to even worse probably. Monterrey got its position:hug:

young_gunner913
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Damn it. I was actually really looking forward to a grass event in Egypt. :lol:

$uricate
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:15 AM
They are slowly but surely eradicating the European indoor season :sobbing:

I know the tour has to go where the money is but now it's just a joke. 2 weeks tossed in at the end of the year.

Bring back Zurich and Filderstadt :bigcry:

(I know Stuttgart is basically Filderstadt)

nevetssllim
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:21 AM

I know the tour has to go where the money is but now it's just a joke. 2 weeks tossed in at the end of the year.

And they've meesed that one up with indoor clay. :rolleyes:

And Paris Indoors is going in the same direction as the dodo. :sad:

Noctis
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:25 AM
damn i want Egypt,guess its too dangerous and not enough fund :awww:

AdeyC
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM

and Brighton

Fantasy Hero
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:37 AM

:bowdown: to great asian season with giant stadiums where the only supporting screams are the echos of the players grunts :inlove:

C. Drone
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:38 AM
really surprised seeing Budapest in the calendar :spit: And back in april, thats good!
although GDF quit as main sponsor this January, not sure if they want to continue next year.

They should put at least a clay tournament after RG. Only Birmingham that week is weak. Or just upgrade Birmingham to Premier.

Also wondering if they want to bring back Prague in next years.

melodynelson
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I see the logic in the schedule, but I think it's poorly arranged even still.

Mostly the same, but seeing it formatted like this just makes me realize what a fail the calendars have been the last years.

I feel sorry for the US Open events next year....and I find the clay season so boring. One random week of green clay, a bunch of small tournaments, then at the very end throw in Madrid and Rome back to back, and then off to the slam. Awful.

Ballbasher
Jul 9th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Acapulco and Monterrey should definetely trade places. :cuckoo:

nate89
Jul 9th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Until Birmingham seriously invest in their facilities, the tournament will never be a Premier. There should be another grass tournament after RG.

Chip.
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:09 PM
US hardcourt season :scared:

Adrian.
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:14 PM
They should bring back Prague with 4 grandslam winners now and also a 2nd German tournament with 3 players in top 20 :shrug::fiery:

LoLex
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:14 PM
You mean tournament in Cairo, right?

Break My Rapture
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Premier in 2013. :oh:

Players probably would have fainted left and right in those summer conditions anyway.

doooma6816
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:36 PM
USO series?...:spit:

Sammo
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:15 PM
No more Egypt? That sucks :( Perhaps they didn't finish the stadium

Sammo
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Texas Tennis Open? What is that?

The Kaz
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Texas Tennis Open? What is that?

Yet another craptacular US tournament that no one will care about :o

We need:

1 International tournament in Czech Republic
1 Premier tournement in Germany (Berlin or Leipzig :D)
1 more Grass tourney
1 International tournament in Canberra in the first week :oh: (I can dream :awww:)

LoLex
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Yet another craptacular US tournament that no one will care about :o

We need:

1 International tournament in Czech Republic
1 Premier tournement in Germany (Berlin or Leipzig :D)
1 more Grass tourney
1 International tournament in Canberra in the first week :oh: (I can dream :awww:)

I'm sorry but you have really lots of tournament in Australia.

Bring back Leipzig, Zurich and Bratislava and make Moscow Premier Mandatory.

babsi
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:25 PM
It looks like Halle could be a possible replacement because of the German trio doing so well. The Germans could be putting the pressure on.

duhcity
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:29 PM
:bowdown: to great asian season with giant stadiums where the only supporting screams are the echos of the players grunts :inlove:

More fans attend those asian tournaments than do your favorite indoor European ones :rolleyes: Except Guanzhou, I concede.

hurricanejeanne
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:34 PM
The Summer is always a hotmess when it's an Olympic year. It could be worse.

I'm totally bummed we've lost the Egyptian tournament, that would have been cool.
And I agree about the slow decimation of the Fall Indoor Season. It's not even a season anymore; I wish they could make those tournaments post US Open back into being indoor events. I know Beijing can't, but Tokyo PPO can be. It used to be so epic when we had Filderstadt, Zurich, Moscow, Linz, Philadelphia and then the YEC. :sad:

matthias
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:22 PM
good to see a 3rd tournament in first week of the year
give more players the opportunity to play at least 1 tournament before AO-Qualies

Matt01
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:40 PM

I'm totally bummed we've lost the Egyptian tournament, that would have been cool.

We haven't "lost" this tournament because it never was there to begin with. And it was probably only another dumb idea of the WTA to get some more $$$ but then they realized that it wouldn't make any sense.
I mean seriously: An African tournament in the summer on grass. How stupid is that :weirdo:

young_gunner913
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:56 PM
We haven't "lost" this tournament because it never was there to begin with. And it was probably only another dumb idea of the WTA to get some more $$$ but then they realized that it wouldn't make any sense.
I mean seriously: An African tournament in the summer on grass. How stupid is that :weirdo:

No less stupid than a European indoors tournament in the middle of the grass season. :shrug:

Matt01
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:02 PM
No less stupid than a European indoors tournament in the middle of the grass season. :shrug:

Where do you see a European Indoor tournament in the grass season for 2012?

young_gunner913
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Where do you see a European Indoor tournament in the grass season for 2012?

My point was, not all scheduling fits the right time and place.

Viktymise
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I vote Ireland should get a nice Grass tournament like this.

No facilities that would be able to house an International event. Or a Premier actually.

Matt01
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:07 PM
My point was, not all scheduling fits the right time and place.

Then that scheduling should be changed like they did with Copenhagen. I don't see your point TBH.

young_gunner913
Jul 9th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Then that scheduling should be changed like they did with Copenhagen. I don't see your point TBH.

But Copenhagen was originally scheduled at the beginning of the grass season and look how it helped out it's star's Wimbeldon campaign. Now it's been moved to a more appropriate slot, however a GRASS event during the GRASS season in Egypt isn't as far fetched as you made it seem.

Matt01
Jul 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
But Copenhagen was originally scheduled at the beginning of the grass season and look how it helped out it's star's Wimbeldon campaign. Now it's been moved to a more appropriate slot, however a GRASS event during the GRASS season in Egypt isn't as far fetched as you made it seem.

There are other things than only the surface that should be considered.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 9th, 2011, 08:47 PM

you wouldnt play in Indian Wells in June/July.
Cairo in June is :o:o

Mr Show
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I'm always surprised how Memphis keeps surviving

Yoncé
Jul 10th, 2011, 01:18 AM

ADELAIDE, SOUTH AUSTRALIA...every other state in Australia has some sort of tournament so why not

spiceboy
Jul 10th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Until Birmingham seriously invest in their facilities, the tournament will never be a Premier. There should be another grass tournament after RG.

They should put together these $75K & $100K Nottingham challengers and make a proper WTA tournament. This would attract several top 20-30 players instead of having Baltacha as the top seed :tape:

spiceboy
Jul 10th, 2011, 09:21 PM
BTW, Barcelona WTA tournament is on sale (as one of its main sponsors, City of Barcelona, is not giving $$$ anymore) and they are in negotiations with Serbia and China.

Adrian.
Jul 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Please not China :tears:

longtin23
Jul 11th, 2011, 01:44 AM
They should put together these $75K & $100K Nottingham challengers and make a proper WTA tournament. This would attract several top 20-30 players instead of having Baltacha as the top seed :tape:

Make Nottingham become an International Event... and make Birmingham become PM event

4 tournaments in the first week...Brisbane/Auckland/TBC/Hong Kong exhibition

Yoncé
Jul 11th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Make Nottingham become an International Event... and make Birmingham become PM event

4 tournaments in the first week...Brisbane/Auckland/TBC/Hong Kong exhibition

If we are counting HK as an event 5 tournaments in the first week, Brisbane, Auckland, TBC, Hong Kong, Hopman Cup

VeeJJ
Jul 11th, 2011, 06:36 AM
they should make Bali in the Australian swing :D

Fantasy Hero
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Please not China :tears:

indeed...:tape:

andrijagajic
Jul 11th, 2011, 10:42 AM
BTW, Barcelona WTA tournament is on sale (as one of its main sponsors, City of Barcelona, is not giving $$$ anymore) and they are in negotiations with Serbia and China.

Any source? :)

spiceboy
Jul 11th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Any source? :)

Inside source :secret:

Sammo
Jul 11th, 2011, 03:13 PM
they should make Bali in the Australian swing :D

That would be awesome

Adrian.
Jul 11th, 2011, 03:33 PM

:oh:

You are still trainer of Vinci and Errani? :oh:

moemoe
Jul 11th, 2011, 03:36 PM
noooo I was looking forward to that!!!:sad:

The Kaz
Jul 11th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Technically Bali should be renamed as Nusa Dua as Bali is not a town/city but a province like Ontario :confused:

Btw... Bali in January :tape: I feel sorry for the players!

andrijagajic
Jul 11th, 2011, 05:38 PM

:D Ok, please write here if you hear something else :) I'd love it if Serbia gets a WTA tournament :)

andrijagajic
Oct 1st, 2011, 06:07 PM
Belgrade, Serbia, to host a WTA tournament

The Partizan Tennis Club and Serbian Tennis Association will organize a WTA event in Belgrade, Serbia, in 2012. Prize money will be $220,000. The exact date of the tournament is still under consideration, but it will take place just before the French Open or US Open.

Participation of Serbian tennis stars Jelena Jankovic, Ana Ivanovic and Bojana Jovanovski is expected, as well as of former Serbian representative, now an Australian national, Jelena Dokic, who has reconciled with her family, primarily with her father Damir who lives in Serbia.

Any truth here?

njnetswill
Oct 1st, 2011, 07:14 PM
Serbia deserves a tournament.

The facilities in Ningbo are very impressive, I wouldn't be surprised if that is the Chinese bid.

sammy01
Oct 1st, 2011, 07:34 PM

nottingham could easily be a $220,000 tournament even a $650,000 premier. it has the facilities, 6 indoor courts from practice when it rains, a centre court that can easily have extra stands built on like they did in the days it was an ATP event, 4 nice outside grass courts, another 3 that are perfect for qualies. it has planty of room to. it is a much better site than birmingham (though birmingham is lovely to).

Meelis
Oct 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM
Belgrade, Serbia, to host a WTA tournament

The Partizan Tennis Club and Serbian Tennis Association will organize a WTA event in Belgrade, Serbia, in 2012. Prize money will be $220,000. The exact date of the tournament is still under consideration, but it will take place just before the French Open or US Open.

Participation of Serbian tennis stars Jelena Jankovic, Ana Ivanovic and Bojana Jovanovski is expected, as well as of former Serbian representative, now an Australian national, Jelena Dokic, who has reconciled with her family, primarily with her father Damir who lives in Serbia.

Any truth here?

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=20296092&postcount=36

sammy01
Oct 1st, 2011, 08:35 PM
btw this is a pic i took at notts, you can see how lovely it is when the suns out.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/27871_1501012569455_1358415784_1311703_6172132_n.j pg