PDA

View Full Version : Netflix, Hulu & others... what are the positives/negatives of having accounts?

Rocketta
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:59 PM
I currently have netflix (streaming only) and have debated getting hulu. I can't really see the point of Hulu especially since I have a Tivo box. I'm trying to find a good reason to get it as I'm a TV addict. :devil:

So for Netflix I have found the negative is that they don't put the most recent movies available for streaming but the positives are that they are available immediately and they have extensive foreign titles and documentary titles available to stream.

me and my sig other have been able to watch several movies and documentaries about the middle east which he has enjoyed. I've enjoyed several documentaries about subjects I like for example I watched one about the National Parks created in Gabon, Africa that was very interesting.

What do you like or not like about these services?

Sally Struthers
Jul 9th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I love that I bought $20k worth of shares of Netflix in 2003 when it was $17/share and that it's split before and now it's nearing $300/ share :drool:

Aside from that, I think it's a fantastic service. I have the 3 dvd/blu ray package though.

As for hulu, I think there are better ways to see your TV shows for free.

Rocketta
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Well I'm not trying to to do anything that can be viewed as illegal as I have to go through background checks now that I work for the government. The position I hold now it wouldn't be a big deal but I'm aiming higher! ;)

Also, my mate is not that internet savy and the fact that we have a pc, I can just imagine the viruses and malware I would have to deal with... if I started downloading stuff he would too. :help:

I look at the list for Hulu and just don't see much that makes me want to jump and order it. :(

I just wish Netflix (or should I say the movie industry) would allow more movies to be streamed... the movie industry is so slow and behind the times... if only they could flame out and have to do things different. :( :(

Oh and congrats on the stock! I never think of things like that although I joined Netflix when they only had one distribution center in California and had to wait like 3-4 days to get my dvds....

flyingmachine
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I love that I bought $20k worth of shares of Netflix in 2003 when it was $17/share and that it's split before and now it's nearing $300/ share :drool:

Aside from that, I think it's a fantastic service. I have the 3 dvd/blu ray package though.

As for hulu, I think there are better ways to see your TV shows for free.
Sounds like you done great investment out of it. :D

Sally Struthers
Jul 10th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Well I'm not trying to to do anything that can be viewed as illegal as I have to go through background checks now that I work for the government. The position I hold now it wouldn't be a big deal but I'm aiming higher! ;)

Also, my mate is not that internet savy and the fact that we have a pc, I can just imagine the viruses and malware I would have to deal with... if I started downloading stuff he would too. :help:

I look at the list for Hulu and just don't see much that makes me want to jump and order it. :(

I just wish Netflix (or should I say the movie industry) would allow more movies to be streamed... the movie industry is so slow and behind the times... if only they could flame out and have to do things different. :( :(

Oh and congrats on the stock! I never think of things like that although I joined Netflix when they only had one distribution center in California and had to wait like 3-4 days to get my dvds....

I wasn't suggesting that you download copies of your shows. I meant you can get them through your cable service like comcast on demand .. xfinity.. whatever they call it now... within a couple of days of airing. Or you can find it on youtube often. The studios have gotten clever and are blocking some youtube videos that share their content, but some people have outsmarted them by rotating the picture 180 degrees so the left side becomes the right, which fools the software detection...

Netflix's DVD turnaround is very god today. I can mail one in today and get the next one sent out in the morning.

Bayo
Jul 10th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Hulu runs ads even for their subscription Plus service.

That's a no go for me.

Rocketta
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I wasn't suggesting that you download copies of your shows. I meant you can get them through your cable service like comcast on demand .. xfinity.. whatever they call it now... within a couple of days of airing. Or you can find it on youtube often. The studios have gotten clever and are blocking some youtube videos that share their content, but some people have outsmarted them by rotating the picture 180 degrees so the left side becomes the right, which fools the software detection...

Netflix's DVD turnaround is very god today. I can mail one in today and get the next one sent out in the morning.

Ohhhhh, you were talking about onDemand. Yeah that's good but I hate the cable companies too they are worst of them all. I mean they offer discounts to newbies but as soon as you've been a customer for a long time they want to screw you. My bill just recently doubled because the promo was over and I've been working up the courage to cut them off but then damn IT Syfy decides to start all their series on Monday. :banghead:

I know now they have distribution centers everywhere.... I went back after they got their first center on the east coast... I think I may just up my subscription to Netflix to include dvd's and leave Hulu alone because Netflix has HBO DVDs and Hulu doesn't seem to stream any HBO.

Rocketta
Jul 10th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Hulu runs ads even for their subscription Plus service.

That's a no go for me.

yeah I saw that. That's kind of weird because you would think they would just charge a little more to get rid of the ads, even Yahoo will get rid of the ads if you pay them. :help:

Sally Struthers
Jul 10th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Ohhhhh, you were talking about onDemand. Yeah that's good but I hate the cable companies too they are worst of them all. I mean they offer discounts to newbies but as soon as you've been a customer for a long time they want to screw you. My bill just recently doubled because the promo was over and I've been working up the courage to cut them off but then damn IT Syfy decides to start all their series on Monday. :banghead:

I know now they have distribution centers everywhere.... I went back after they got their first center on the east coast... I think I may just up my subscription to Netflix to include dvd's and leave Hulu alone because Netflix has HBO DVDs and Hulu doesn't seem to stream any HBO.

Listen to me about Comcast... this really works. Call customer service and ask to be transferred to billing. Say you want to cancel your account. They will ask you why as part of their required response. Tell them they are too expensive and you are switching to DirectTV. Normally, they will tell you about this "new" rate that they'll let you have just for being such a loyal customer and to keep your business. It'll expire after a year, but then you can do it again ;) I've done it 3 times already :oh:

If by chance someone calls your bluff, hang up immediately and try again the next day.

Rocketta
Jul 10th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Listen to me about Comcast... this really works. Call customer service and ask to be transferred to billing. Say you want to cancel your account. They will ask you why as part of their required response. Tell them they are too expensive and you are switching to DirectTV. Normally, they will tell you about this "new" rate that they'll let you have just for being such a loyal customer and to keep your business. It'll expire after a year, but then you can do it again ;) I've done it 3 times already :oh:

If by chance someone calls your bluff, hang up immediately and try again the next day.

Yes that is the plan!!!! ;)