PDA

View Full Version : Has Wozniacki, Queen of Generation Suck, passed her peak?

MechWarrior2k
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:17 PM
From a post I made on another forum:
I've been a critic of Wozniacki's game for over two years. At the same time, I've even defended her on a few occasions. On the WWWH thread, I posted her 2010 and 2011 slam results. Not befitting of a soon-to-be and eventual #1:

2010:
AO - 4th round
FO - QF
Wimby - 4th round
USO - SF
--------------
1960pts

2011:
AO - SF
FO - 3rd round
Wimby - 4th round
-------------------
1340 pts

Try duplicating those results on the ATP and see if you'll be anywhere near top 5.

For all the talk about her being consistent, there is a striking coincidence between her results in non-slams and the fact she relies on daddy to coach her in those events. She calls him for advice every set whether she's up or down. You don't see Serena/Venus/Clijsters/Li/Schiavone using on-court coaching much or at all. On-court coaching is Wozniacki's security blanket. And that's proven to be her kryptonite when playing at the majors where she can't get that help. She doesn't think for herself. But because she plays 20+ events a year she can pile up most of her points from PM/P5/Premier events.

Just looking at the points she gets from the majors you can see why many folks laugh at the notion of Wozniacki being the "best" player in the world. Wozniacki only has earned 1340 pts from the 3 majors this year. Li alone has 3560 from those same 3 events. Compare Wozniacki to Djokovic who has 4720 points from those events.

Wozniacki may figure things out in time, but her slam results since her USO 2009 final are laughable for someone ranked #1. That also just adds fuel to the fire that the WTA is full of inconsistent players while relying on the oft-injured, part-time tour elders to keep it relevant. Unless her mindset and focus changes, her window for winning a major will be relatively short.

kman
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:33 PM
It's already been confirmed that Wozniacki, with the amount of accumulated points, would've been #1 even on the ATP rankings.

I don't see what the point of this thread is.

MechWarrior2k
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:37 PM
It's already been confirmed that Wozniacki, with the amount of accumulated points, would've been #1 even on the ATP rankings.

There was a discussion on whether Wozniacki will win a major between USO 2011 and USO 2014. I voted yes, but looking at the great discrepancy in her results between non-slams where she gets coaching and slams with no coaching I have to wonder. Either her dad is a genius when it comes to on-court coaching, she's clueless without the coaching in majors, or a combination of both.

kman
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:40 PM
There was a discussion on whether Wozniacki will win a major between USO 2011 and USO 2014. I voted yes, but looking at the great discrepancy in her results between non-slams where she gets coaching and slams with no coaching I have to wonder. Either her dad is a genius when it comes to on-court coaching, she's clueless without the coaching in majors, or a combination of both.

The main culprit is pressure of being slamless #1 and having critics constantly bring it up. So the irony is that all your complaining about her being slamless #1 is only contributing to her being slamless. It's a lot for a 20-year-old to handle, but thankfully she appears stronger than Safina and will keep chugging.

GoofyDuck
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:42 PM

:spit:

What is your point?

kman
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:43 PM
:spit:

What is your point?

It was in response to TS'

Try duplicating those results on the ATP and see if you'll be anywhere near top 5.

Are you really that stupid?

Pump-it-UP
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:44 PM

Soderling right now has QF-QF-4R-3R

MiiMo
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Well, Future will probably tell us . But, right now, for sure, she sucks.

The Kaz
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:48 PM

Soderling right now has QF-QF-4R-3R

And is a DISTANT 5th... i.e nowhere near the Big 4.

kman
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:50 PM

Soderling doesn't have the results outside the slams that Wozzy does. Silly comparison anyway.

18majors
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Yes, she did.

Pump-it-UP
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:52 PM

I know, but he's still "near" (in) the top 5. :lol: Deservedly so I should add.

theFutureisNow
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:54 PM
The main culprit is pressure of being slamless #1 and having critics constantly bring it up. So the irony is that all your complaining about her being slamless #1 is only contributing to her being slamless. It's a lot for a 20-year-old to handle, but thankfully she appears stronger than Safina and will keep chugging.

That's not really ironic since a lot of those people don't want her to win a slam.

I don't think they have much influence though. I hope not, because if they thought they did then the posts around here would get to be intolerable.

Sammo
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:57 PM
No, she will be there until age 50, just like Navratilova :sobbing:

Chrissie-fan
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:58 PM
The main culprit is pressure of being slamless #1 and having critics constantly bring it up. So the irony is that all your complaining about her being slamless #1 is only contributing to her being slamless. It's a lot for a 20-year-old to handle.
I agree with that, actually. She knows that the critics are sharpening their pens at the prospect of 'failure.' There's much less of that when it comes to regular tour events. A tennis court at a slam can be a very lonely place when you know that many expect and some hope that you will embarrass yourself, and I can imagine all sorts of stuff going through her mind when things get tight. But since most think she has a better shot of doing well at the USO and AO the next two majors will tell us more than the last two.......let's wait and see.......:)

Mynarco
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:01 PM
So is that critics' fault then :sobbing:
rather than her limited game or reliance on OCC :sobbing:

Carotards are just getting better and better

Chrissie-fan
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:05 PM
So is that critics' fault then :sobbing:
rather than her limited game or reliance on OCC :sobbing:

Carotards are just getting better and better
It could also be that she's just scared that some fruitcake will come on court and stab her to death.

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Caro had a match point in the AO SF, then won Dubai, final Doha, won IW in 2011.
Compare that to her 2010 results.

How about waiting until she spends 2 weeks out of the #1 spot before asking if she's past her peak?

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:12 PM

If that's true, then it only further proves Wozniacki doesn't "deserve" to win a Slam. Mental strength is a part of the game. Real champions relish the pressure, they don't crumble under it. Sharapova was under much more pressure in 2005-06 to win another Slam and prove she was the "real deal" and justify all her sponsorships, and she didn't bomb out at Slams to players ranked outside the top 20, she only lost to the best. And she was younger than Wozniacki at that stage too.

Excelscior
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I didn't read the whole post, but by age alone, Caro has time to win a major obviously.

The question is, will the criticism, pressure, other young players stepping up and her father's coaching be her undoing (I do expect her to try to improve or learn to be more aggressive). ?

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:14 PM

This is circular reasoning. Had she won a slam before becoming number one, like ivanovic or Sharapova did, then there would be no "pressure".

Sombrerero loco
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:19 PM
no, she didnt.she is world number 1 so...

bobito
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM
While her dependence upon on court coaching and the pressure of being a slamless #1 may indeed be factors, I think the biggest is her style of play. A player with a good offensive game playing well will beat her every time. You cannot win matches by drawing errors from opponents if that opponent is hitting a lot of winners early in the points. Unlike a WTA tour event where the top seeds often get a bye through to the last 16, by the second week of a slam she is going to be up against good players who have already strung a few wins together. The likelihood of her facing an in form opponent with a quality offensive game is that much higher.

Another problem she is now facing, and this is in WTA events as well as slams, is that players are learning how to beat her. Being #1 puts a player in the spotlight. When someone finds a weakness, others see it and work on it themselves when they play them. Wozniacki's weakness is her forehand, particularly her running forehand. Players now know that if you can get her to hit two or three running forehands in a row then you'll get a short, weak reply that can easily be put away. More and more players are using this against her now.

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:25 PM

He's still deservedly 5th. Caroline has not passed her peak. Her performance in grand slams(on clay and grass) has not been as good as last year. She'll still slay(hopefully Petra) on hard courts.

Mynarco
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:27 PM
It could also be that she's just scared that some fruitcake will come on court and stab her to death.

That's your comeback :haha:?
That's as mighty as caro's forehand :spit:

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:28 PM
This is circular reasoning. Had she won a slam before becoming number one, like ivanovic or Sharapova did, then there would be no "pressure".

Can you explain to me how his reasoning is circular? kman asserts that the reason Caroline is slamless is because of pressure. This pressure is a result of continued criticism from the media and some tennis fans.

Mynarco
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Can you explain to me how his reasoning is circular? kman asserts that the reason Caroline is slamless is because of pressure. Pressure that is a result of continued criticism from the media and some tennis fans.

If you can't handle the heat, get out of kitchen

Chrissie-fan
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Another problem she is now facing, and this is in WTA events as well as slams, is that players kare learning how to beat her. Being #1 puts a player in the spotlight. When someone finds a weakness, others see it and work on it themselves when they play them. Wozniacki's weakness is her forehand, particularly her running forehand. Players now know that if you can get her to hit two or three running forehands in a row then you'll get a short, weak reply that can easily be put away. More and more players are using this against her now.
Yes, if there is one area of her game she needs to work on it's that forehand.

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:31 PM
If you can't handle the heat, get out of kitchen

She's still in the kitchen. She'll have a meal ready for you soon enough. :kiss:

madmax
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I tihnk it's already clear that her last years results were just one big fluke...take a look at the players she beat to collect all of those so called "premiers" - headcase Kuznetsova, streaky Zvonareva and her bff Azarenka who always loses to her no matter what. No Clijsters, Sharapova, WS playing in any of those events. She just took advantage of a very weak tour and claimed Nr.1 spot by default. YEC proved who the best player that year was, even when she was playing mediocre and half-arsed tennis all the time

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I tihnk it's already clear that her last years results were just one big fluke...take a look at the players she beat to collect all of those so called "premiers" - headcase Kuznetsova, streaky Zvonareva and her bff Azarenka who always loses to her no matter what. No Clijsters, Sharapova, WS playing in any of those events. She just took advantage of a very weak tour and claimed Nr.1 spot by default. YEC proved who the best player that year was, even when she was playing mediocre and half-arsed tennis all the time

As if Poova would've stopped Wozniacki from winning her hard court titles since 2010 Wimbledon.:lol::help:

The best player of the year didn't play YEC. I'm confused.:confused:

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Can you explain to me how his reasoning is circular? kman asserts that the reason Caroline is slamless is because of pressure. This pressure is a result of continued criticism from the media and some tennis fans.

The pressure is only because she's number one without a slam.

She could have, you know, won a slam before becoming number one. Most number ones have managed it, why not Caro?

GoofyDuck
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:06 PM
It was in response to TS'

Are you really that stupid?

That is not the point of the thread starter, yet you are saying she was #1 on the ATP tour as if it has any meaning.

He means that such bad GS results would make Caro a worse than top 5 player on the ATP tour, not on MM results :).

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:07 PM

She could have, you know, won a slam before becoming number one. Most number ones have managed it, why not Caro?

Yeah but that's not circular reasoning. Caroline has performed better than anyone outside of the slams. She accumulates a lot of points and her ranking reflects it.

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:16 PM

She could have, you know, won a slam before becoming number one. Most number ones have managed it, why not Caro?I can think of 4 others who got to #1 1st.
Kim. Amelie, Jelena, Dinara. All of them were very good players.
She not only got to #1, she's held #1 longer than all but 8 other players, even before Caroline turned 21.

If she can win the USO, she'll be player of the year, YE #1 for the 2nd year in a row.
If she doesnt win the USO, she can still finish YE #1 for 2011, and she should have a decent chance for the 2012 AO.

I dont see it as a bad situation. You want both, slams & be a long term #1.
She has half, and has plenty of chances for both

Chrissie-fan
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:18 PM

Yes, but as far as I'm concerned it's not an excuse, but arguably part of the explanation. Not even of why she hasn't yet won one - which in itself is no reason for alarm (or for premature celebrations depending on which side you're on) - but of her below par performance at the last two slams. Her silly scheduling doesn't help her cause any either. But really, discussing anything to do with Caro is virtually impossible at GM since every thread about her gets flooded with trash talk.

madmax
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:20 PM
As if Poova would've stopped Wozniacki from winning her hard court titles since 2010 Wimbledon.:lol::help:

reading comprehension fail:wavey:
What makes you think I was talking about Poova, who was sick as a dog and horribly out of form after US Open? Did you hear about certain Kim, who was winning all the biggest hardcourt titles for a while now?

Steven.
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:22 PM
What makes you think I was talking about Poova, who was sick as a dog and horribly out of form after US Open? Did you hear about certain Kim, who was winning all the biggest hardcourt titles for a while now?

:hysteric:

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:24 PM

Why do Wozniacki fans act like she owns Maria, when Maria leads the head-to-head 3-2?

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM

My reading comprehension is solid.

I considered Serena the best player of 2010.:angel:

lang26
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM
How is she passed her peak example :rolleyes: people just post anything these days just to get attention

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Why do Wozniacki fans act like she owns Maria, when Maria leads the head-to-head 3-2?

I have never once said that Wozniacki owns Sharapova. I have at times asserted that Wozniacki is the better hard court player these days.

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I can think of 4 others who got to #1 1st.
Kim. Amelie, Jelena, Dinara. All of them were very good players.
She not only got to #1, she's held #1 longer than all but 8 other players, even before Caroline turned 21.

If she can win the USO, she'll be player of the year, YE #1 for the 2nd year in a row.
If she doesnt win the USO, she can still finish YE #1 for 2011, and she should have a decent chance for the 2012 AO.

But no-one will consider her the best player without a Slam. More Tier 1's add nothing to her career at this point.

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:28 PM
But no-one will consider her the best player without a Slam. More Tier 1's add nothing to her career at this point.

Not true. I'm sure there's someone out there who considers Caroline the best player. Maybe even the guy you just quoted.

backhandsmash
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Did Clijsters get this much crap back in the day?

madmax
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:30 PM

that's an interesting concept to me as well...they act like beating self-destructing Poova was some kind of a feat, when she was losing to the likes of Vesnina and Date-Krumm at that period of time:lol:

Steven.
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:32 PM

Au contraire, I'd love it if Maria could consistently win titles...

That being said, I agree with you.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I have never once said that Wozniacki owns Sharapova. I have at times asserted that Wozniacki is the better hard court player these days.
That remains to be seen though. The Sharapova of Rome onwards is a better player than the one Wozniacki defeated.

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:33 PM

Clijsters was atleast making finals and losing to elite players, not losing in the 3rd or 4th round to non-contenders. The fact is there's never been a #1 who's consistently performed so poorly at Slams... even Mauresmo had a marginally better Slam record when she first reached #1 back in the WTA's dog days in 2004.

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:34 PM
That remains to be seen though. The Sharapova of Rome onwards is a better player than the one Wozniacki defeated.

Well by "these days," I mean the last few hard court tournaments they've competed in.

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Well by "these days," I mean the last few hard court tournaments they've competed in.

Actually, Maria did better than Wozniacki in the most recent hardcourt tournament (Miami) :p

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Actually, Maria did better than Wozniacki in the most recent hardcourt tournament (Miami) :p

That's true but there's IW, AO, USO, and USO Series. Caroline performed better in all of these.

MechWarrior2k
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Another argument is how her points are distributed. IMO a consistent player gets about 40-50% of their points from their performances at the majors. Notable exceptions would be Serena and Clijster who basically play part-time, go all-out at the majors and flick the bird at all the other events.

But in Wozniacki's case she gets less than 25% of her points from the majors. That's true with even the race points. That's extreme. Once can come up with conclusions about Wozniacki's game, her preparation for the majors, her over-reliance on court-coaching, etc.

Who thought Hingis would stop winning majors at 18? At least she got there. Wozniacki just acts like it's no big deal while making little to no adjustments to up her game. She gets solid results at the PM/P5/Premier events, but the ways she loses at the majors says something. The same people she clowns in the non-majors somehow come up big against her in the majors.

backhandsmash
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Sharapova has been better all year, if one looks at points per tournament. Better than everybody, in fact.

Burisleif
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:41 PM
that's an interesting concept to me as well...they act like beating self-destructing Poova was some kind of a feat, when she was losing to the likes of Vesnina and Date-Krumm at that period of time:lol:

Funny because that's not what you said before the USO match... You were quite the little bile spewing orifice back then, with grandiose predictions of a drumming... Not to mention you promised never to post in GM again... What happened there?

Tennis Ball
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I must have missed her peak then ....

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Funny because that's not what you said before the USO match... You were quite the little bile spewing orifice back then, with grandiose predictions of a drumming... Not to mention you promised never to post in GM again... What happened there?

Yeah I remember Pova fans hoping for Sharapova to play Caroline in Rd. 4.:lol:

Leelee.
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:48 PM
The first time? Yes. Not as much as EVIL CHEATING Justine did, but they stole that spot from the Sistahz.

madmax
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:50 PM

nobody expected Maria to become a Poova in that US Open R4 match...she was brainless, tactic-less and wasn't the same player that held match points against Kim in Cincy earlier. Just like she is not the same player now:wavey:

Gilas.
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I HATE Carotards line of "She's only 20 years old!?!?!!" but this line is an apt response to this thread.
She's young and has more time to improve, deal with it.

homogenius
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:57 PM
nobody expected Maria to become a Poova in that US Open R4 match...she was brainless, tactic-less and wasn't the same player that held match points against Kim in Cincy earlier. Just like she is not the same player now:wavey:

Actually a lot of people expected her to lose this match.Only some delusionnal stans like you were sure to see a trashing of Woz by maria.

Burisleif
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:58 PM

Which is the reason why you spewed the same bile before IW then?

There is always an excuse behind your delusional ramblings and vitriol... I wouldn't rely to much on the voice in your head though...

Matt01
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:01 PM

And one tournament before that, Pova lost to Woz 1:6, 2:6, but I'm already waiting for madmax' excuse and him telling us how badly ill and slumping she was at that time...

Steven.
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:15 PM
errorpova loses to everyone. :sad:

jrm
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:19 PM
yes, if she wants to progress, she needs to add A LOT of new things to her game

it's ironic how everyone is so desperately trying to defend female tennis as being interesting and then you have someone dominating rankings and being labeled as someone who sucks!

debby
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Actually a lot of people expected her to lose this match.Only some delusionnal stans like you were sure to see a trashing of Woz by maria.

lmao :happy: you are becoming my new fave poster :hearts:
Madmax is living in an alternate world, there is not another explanation for such a delusion he is showing us.

Stonerpova
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:30 PM
It's circular reasoning, but the following is true: Caro is slamless because of the pressure, and she is pressured because she is slamless.

And I don't think she's past her peak. She was never great on clay and grass. If she has a shitty summer then we'll talk.

SerenaClijsters
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I'll come back to this thread if she bombs out early in the US Open.

Probably I would give her 2012 as her last year possible to win slams. If she still doesn't manage to win one by then, then I will be pretty sure she won't ever win one.

Burisleif
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM
It's circular reasoning, but the following is true: Caro is slamless because of the pressure, and she is pressured because she is slamless.

And I don't think she's past her peak. She was never great on clay and grass. If she has a shitty summer then we'll talk.

Maybe... but feeling pressure can be dealt with and she has demonstrated a better ability to do that then many before her.

@ MechWarrior2k

Nothing here or in your earlier posts to either warrant justify the thread tittle which is pretty much an affront to all the players of her generation, and a bizarre analysis considering her having the best first half of her season ever.

hurricanejeanne
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:42 PM

Exactly.

CWTennis
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:50 PM
:haha: @this tread
Yes she passed her peak and will retire at the end of the season :hysteric:

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:52 PM
And one tournament before that, Pova lost to Woz 1:6, 2:6, but I'm already waiting for madmax' excuse and him telling us how badly ill and slumping she was at that time...

Matt, you should know that Pova never loses. It's always Poova.:lol:

Matt01
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Matt, you should know that Pova never loses. It's always Poova.:lol:

I haven't noticed this mysterious Poova yet, sorry :awww:

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:06 PM

That's not circular reasoning. :confused:

BartoLiNa
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:09 PM

That would be more likely to happen to one of her opponents, judging by her fans on here.

bobito
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Caroline has been seeded in the top 4 in her last 7 slams. She has only beaten one top 10 opponent in those 7 outings and lost to players ranked 17, 17, 62, 8, 11, 29 and 24. That's a pretty damning record and one that suggests a breakthrough is a long way off.

Super Dave
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:11 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zCIVQZCPCgU/TaRMPgSutMI/AAAAAAAAAqo/D7Ks1yPTaKg/s640/gif_dummyhead350.gif

postalblowfish
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:15 PM
That would be more likely to happen to one of her opponents, judging by her fans on here.

You're sailing very close to the wind with that one.

smarties
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:16 PM
She sucks on clay, she sucks on grass; that leaves the U.S Open and the Australian. I think her best chance is the later.

Matt01
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:17 PM

Big FAIL here.
And Chrissie-fan did write that in reply to that poster for a reason. :wavey:

GreenGrass
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:17 PM

Not really. Its her haters who are the most aggressive ones, constantly belittling her achievements and harping on how she sucks and so on, it's really become tiresome, you guys have to get a life :wavey:

BartoLiNa
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Not really. Its her haters who are the most aggressive ones, constantly belittling her achievements and harping on how she sucks and so on, it's really become tiresome, you guys have to get a life :wavey:

I don't hate Wozniacki, troll :wavey: