PDA

View Full Version : Can Serena Get Top Form Back...

supergrunt
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:08 AM
In time to win the USO? Do you predict that she will win any USO series titles?

I think that she will win two USO series titles because she probably doesn't want to be a wild card heading into the USO.

Yoncé
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:12 AM
She wont win any lead up tournament but she will win the big one....

Pops Maellard
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Top form for Serena is AO 2007 final and she hasn't been in that form for some time now. :p Good enough form to win USO? Probably.

Kunal
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:11 AM
yes . she . can

Leelee.
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Serena is going to be a WC, no matter what. Unless she quickly enters whatever Tier IVA next week. And I highly doubt that she cares, or even realizes it.

She's played terribly in the USO warmups since 2001, and I wouldn't bet on that changing.

KBlade
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:27 AM
I think she can get back into top fitness. I don't think she'll hit peak form until the US Open though. I expect probably a couple of Quarter-final, Semi-final losses in her lead up tournaments, and then I expect her to be back and hungry for a major title.

shoryuken
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Serena only wins slams, YECs and gold medals. So no she won't be winning any warm up tournaments.

englando08
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Top form for Serena is AO 2007 final and she hasn't been in that form for some time now.

Australian Open Final 09

bandabou
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Has been a long time since Serena won a regular tour event. Don't expect that to change for the summer. She'll have a nice run, play her matches and then hopefully be ready for the Open.

Chip.
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I want her to have a WC.

[WC] S.Williams df. [1] C.Wozniacki 61 61 :devil:

Pops Maellard
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I want her to have a WC.

That would be to die for. :sobbing:

homogenius
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Has been a long time since Serena won a regular tour event. Don't expect that to change for the summer. She'll have a nice run, play her matches and then hopefully be ready for the Open.

Indeed.Outside slams and the YEC, her last title was Charleston in 2008 :eek:

bandabou
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Indeed.Outside slams and the YEC, her last title was Charleston in 2008 :eek:

Uhumm...in fact since her comeback in ' 04. Serena has only won Miami 3x, China Open, Charleston as regular tournaments. Yet has won YEC, 7 majors since then. :eek:

MiiMo
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:01 PM
As Rena is a WC imagine a 1st round : Rena/ Carolina. :)

homogenius
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Uhumm...in fact since her comeback in ' 04. Serena has only won Miami 3x, China Open, Charleston as regular tournaments. Yet has won YEC, 7 majors since then. :eek:

She won Bangalore in 2008 too : 6 regular events in 7 years :lol: :help: I can't even remember the last time she won a title during the American hc season.But things could be different this year as she really needs matches and points.

Shivank17
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:12 PM
A players of Serena's caliber sure can!

tim2502
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I want her to have a WC.

:hearts:

Pump-it-UP
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:22 PM
She won't be a WC, her PR gets her in directly.

bandabou
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:23 PM
She won Bangalore in 2008 too : 6 regular events in 7 years :lol: :help: I can't even remember the last time she won a title during the American hc season.But things could be different this year as she really needs matches and points.

Oh yeah, Bangalore...first match between the sisters in nearly 3 years! :eek: How could I forget.

MiiMo
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:03 PM
She won't be a WC, her PR gets her in directly.

Whatever. But she won't be seeded, so we can still dream about our Carolina/Rena :)

spartanfan
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:06 PM
If she plays the 3 scheduled summer tournaments, I think she will make 2 qtrs and 1 semifinal. I think she will go out in the qtrs at the US Open. Serena needs lots of tough matches to find her true winning form again. I don't expect Serena to really hit her stride until the 2012 Australian Open. But that's only if she plays 2 or 3 tournaments in the fall.

18majors
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Serena will be 30 soon and age doesn't reward anybody.

!VamosRafa!
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Maybe, but I'm more than sure she wont win the US Open. It's never been her best Slam...I think Kim will win the USO :O
Maybe she will win the 2012 AO???

!VamosRafa!
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Serena:
Stanford- QF
Toronto- SF
Cincinnati- R3
US Open- QF

:p

doooma6816
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Serena:
Stanford- QF
Toronto- SF
Cincinnati- R3
US Open- QF

Is she going to play 3 warm-up???:confused:

Sassymoo
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I was thinking about it today. I was thinking if she could win the US Open. My gut told me no. Seriously, though I think she will win a couple more slams, I do not think she will get back to the top on a consistent basis, like winning 3 slams in a year or being number one. She had a whole year out, she is nearly 30, and with players like Li Na and Kvitova winning slams, the competition just got better.

serenafan08
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Let's be realistic here guys. The women hasn't played in a year. Getting to the second week at Wimbledon was a huge success. If anything, it's just a breath of fresh air to have Serena back on court. Will she win the US Open? Probably not. Can she? Of course! I DVR'd her match against Bartoli, and after watching it I took one thing away: Serena's heart is still as big as ever. As long as she still has points to play, she can will herself to victory. This is the X-factor for her. Doesn't matter how much or how well she plays, she is the game's best competitor, and that is what will ultimately be what pushes her over the top. It would be great if she won the Open, but I'm not going to expect anything. Now, next year is a different story!!! :bounce: #letsgo

serenafan08
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM
^^^^^^^ That was post #3000!!! Yay! :bounce: :aparty: :cheer: :yeah:

DefyingGravity
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM
She's probably gonna take her favorite Grand Slam crown (Aussie) and she might actually surprise us all with a very deep run at the French next year.

Pump-it-UP
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Serena:
Stanford- QF
Toronto- SF
Cincinnati- R3
US Open- QF

That's exactly what she did in 2009. :lol: I don't remember her playing a USO semi

Is she going to play 3 warm-up???:confused:
Stanford, Toronto, and Cincy. :)

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I don't see her getting back into Slam-contending form til next year. It's not like she was anywhere close to unbeatable at the US Open even before her injury anyway - Clijsters and Henin comprehensively beat her there in recent years. Serena's game these days of gradual aggression and point construction is much better suited to the slow hardcourts of Australia; she can get overpowered in New York.

Galsen
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I don't see her getting back into Slam-contending form til next year. It's not like she was anywhere close to unbeatable at the US Open even before her injury anyway - Clijsters and Henin comprehensively beat her there in recent years. Serena's game these days of gradual aggression and point construction is much better suited to the slow hardcourts of Australia; she can get overpowered in New York.

yeah that's why her last 2 USO she won and got robbed again in SF?

doooma6816
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:22 PM
That's exactly what she did in 2009. :lol: I don't remember her playing a USO semi

Stanford, Toronto, and Cincy. :)

Wow, that's great...:D I thought she would play only 2.
She needs sth like 1300 points to be seeded at USO...well with 3 warm-ups impossible is nothing.;)

bobito
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:26 PM
:cuckoo:

She didn't get "robbed". She disgraced herself, brought the game into disrepute and was treated leniently.

Pump-it-UP
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:40 PM

You read way too much into those two matches... :lol: Serena in '07 (post-Miami) was playing the most defensive brand of tennis she's ever played. She was overpowered by Justine in all of their matches that year, even on the slow(er) hardcourts of Miami. It has nothing to do with her game being poorly suited to the USO hardcourts. :lol: And in the Kim match she was very tentative. If she played Kim like that on ANY surface, the same result would have happened. It just so happens that she usually doesn't throw in performances like that in Melbourne. :shrug: But did you see her 5 matches in NY prior to that semi? Power and aggression at its finest. She has no problems with hitting anyone off the court at the USO if she's in the right state of mind.

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:51 PM

Oh dear.

But did you see her 5 matches in NY prior to that semi? Power and aggression at its finest. She has no problems with hitting anyone off the court at the USO if she's in the right state of mind.

Not true. Serena very rarely plays the explosive game she did in her younger days these days. Unlike Venus, Serena's been smart enough to realise that her reaction times and footwork have deteoriated as she's got older, so she has been adjusting her game accordingly over the last few years, playing a more consistent game of using angles and constructing points, rather than simply going for raw power. It means she has less of the total off-days that Venus has, but it also means she's prone to getting overpowered off the ground by players like Clijsters on faster surfaces... and her serve doesn't reap as many rewards as it does on grass either.

Galsen
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:22 PM
:cuckoo:

She didn't get "robbed". She disgraced herself, brought the game into disrepute and was treated leniently.
it's true she got robbed. I didn't say Kim did not deserve to win or Serena played better but it's true.
Oh dear.

Not true. Serena very rarely plays the explosive game she did in her younger days these days. Unlike Venus, Serena's been smart enough to realise that her reaction times and footwork have deteoriated as she's got older, so she has been adjusting her game accordingly over the last few years, playing a more consistent game of using angles and constructing points, rather than simply going for raw power. It means she has less of the total off-days that Venus has, but it also means she's prone to getting overpowered off the ground by players like Clijsters on faster surfaces... and her serve doesn't reap as many rewards as it does on grass either.

I guess we'll see that if they play against each other

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:24 PM
it's true she got robbed. I didn't say Kim did not deserve to win or Serena played better but it's true.

Has Serena EVER saved a match point in the second set of a match and gone on to win?

Though even that's academic... if she hadn't threatened a linejudge, she wouldn't've been defaulted.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Has Serena EVER saved a match point in the second set of a match and gone on to win?

Though even that's academic... if she hadn't threatened a linejudge, she wouldn't've been defaulted.

Miami 2007 finals against Henin.

Did you start watching tennis in 2010?

marineblue
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:31 PM
If best form means winning a lot of tournaments than no, she will not. I guess she will skip US Open series or play one event and then hope for the best at US Open.

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:36 PM
You read way too much into those two matches... :lol: Serena in '07 (post-Miami) was playing the most defensive brand of tennis she's ever played. She was overpowered by Justine in all of their matches that year, even on the slow(er) hardcourts of Miami. It has nothing to do with her game being poorly suited to the USO hardcourts. :lol: And in the Kim match she was very tentative. If she played Kim like that on ANY surface, the same result would have happened. It just so happens that she usually doesn't throw in performances like that in Melbourne. :shrug: But did you see her 5 matches in NY prior to that semi? Power and aggression at its finest. She has no problems with hitting anyone off the court at the USO if she's in the right state of mind.

:worship::worship::worship:
If Serena had only played Kim like she played against Pennetta. Oh well.:rolleyes:

lang26
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Maybe, but I'm more than sure she wont win the US Open. It's never been her best Slam...I think Kim will win the USO :O
Maybe she will win the 2012 AO???

dont see it happen and if her ankle still not 100% she not doin

lang26
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Kim vs Serena first round :hearts: see Serena putting beat down on kim

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Kim vs Serena first round :hearts: see Serena putting beat down on kim

My body would probably explode from so much happiness.:hearts:

TSequoia01
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Serena must get her quickness back. I have never witnessed Serena stand there and watch so many lst and 2nd serves go by. In addition she must do more with the ball, her returns are coming in short and bouncing high, a recipe for disaster. Come on Serena lets get busy.

bobito
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Serena must get her quickness back.

Easier said than done at her age I suspect.

Any 29 year-old returning to the tour after an 11 month absence due to health issues is going to struggle. It's a big ask.

18majors
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Age is the biggest quetion for Serena.

SerenaClijsters
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:27 PM

:help::facepalm: NO. Fellow Serena fans, please do not ever bring this up again. It was purely Serena's fault for what she did. She NEVER got robbed. It was a stupid mistake that she brought upon herself and has only herself to blame for.

Back to the question, it will be a tall order, considering her physical condition and age. Not that I'm writing her off or having zilch confidence in her, but I would be thankful for her even to make the quarters at the USO.

Raiden
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:49 PM
yeah that's why her last 2 USO she won and got robbed again in SF?LMAO!

Lest ye forget: the only thing that Reena got robbed-of there was her wig :wavey:

Novichok
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:50 PM
:help::facepalm: NO. Fellow Serena fans, please do not ever bring this up again. It was purely Serena's fault for what she did. She NEVER got robbed. It was a stupid mistake that she brought upon herself and has only herself to blame for.

Back to the question, it will be a tall order, considering her physical condition and age. Not that I'm writing her off or having zilch confidence in her, but I would be thankful for her even to make the quarters at the USO.

Ok.:lol::lol::lol:

NoppaNoppa
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:17 PM
She´ll win USO and think being number One. Talent is, but need to play more than 14 matches/year to beat Caro ;)

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:27 PM

:spit:

NoppaNoppa
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Has she ever reached top form? NO! Playing with "left hand" all career. Might have been great. Will not be.

Gdsimmons
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Serena will eventually get back to her match toughness. She is already in shape just has to get used to playing matches again. Only a matter of time

serenafan08
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Easier said than done at her age I suspect.

Any 29 year-old returning to the tour after an 11 month absence due to health issues is going to struggle. It's a big ask.

Heller! Totally agree. Said it a thousand times and I'll say it again...I'm just happy to have her back out there playing.

StephenUK
Jul 8th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Personally I think 2011 is all about getting back into the game; 2012 will be the year she wins things if she is to win more slams.

Besides the US Open has not exactly been a happy hunting-ground for either Williams sister since the days of the Serena slam - only one win in the last eight years is a testament to that.

I think she could make the last 16 or the quarters if she plays well, but it will be tough. She will get in the event on a protected ranking but she won't be seeded unless she can garner some 1200 points this summer, which will pretty much require her to win Cincinnati or the Canadian Open and then get another 300 points from other events.

What she really needs at the moment are matches and ranking points. She is 175 in the world and her protected ranking will only last a few more tournaments so she needs to pull in those points before it goes. I think she is going to have to change her habits and take WTA events more seriously for a while so she can get those wins and those points.

One slightly disturbing note for Serena fans is that the top players she has played against and lost this year - Zvonareva and Bartoli - both did not choke in the crisis, so maybe the fear factor is not there now. She certainly can't rely on that to help her through the sticky moments like it did when she won Australian Open 07.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 8th, 2011, 09:58 PM
back to top form - no :shrug:
back to form which will allow her to a win a slam - yes :yeah:

NoppaNoppa
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:19 PM
In my papers, she is second best player standing. So, naturally she can get back to the top.
Need to play more than couple weeks to get respect though. Win USO and AUssie is not enough. Champions play more than 6 weeks a year.

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Personally I think 2011 is all about getting back into the game; 2012 will be the year she wins things if she is to win more slams.

Besides the US Open has not exactly been a happy hunting-ground for either Williams sister since the days of the Serena slam - only one win in the last eight years is a testament to that.

I think she could make the last 16 or the quarters if she plays well, but it will be tough. She will get in the event on a protected ranking but she won't be seeded unless she can garner some 1200 points this summer, which will pretty much require her to win Cincinnati or the Canadian Open and then get another 300 points from other events.

What she really needs at the moment are matches and ranking points. She is 175 in the world and her protected ranking will only last a few more tournaments so she needs to pull in those points before it goes. I think she is going to have to change her habits and take WTA events more seriously for a while so she can get those wins and those points.

One slightly disturbing note for Serena fans is that the top players she has played against and lost this year - Zvonareva and Bartoli - both did not choke in the crisis, so maybe the fear factor is not there now. She certainly can't rely on that to help her through the sticky moments like it did when she won Australian Open 07.

I don't think the issue of actually MAKING THE DRAW will ever be an issue for her. Even if her protected ranking expires before she boosts her actual ranking, she'll get a wildcard into anywhere she likes.

With that said, matches / her ranking is an issue in terms of getting seeded at tournaments. She's a notoriously slow starter at tournaments, and has regularly struggled against far lower-ranked players in the early rounds of Slams, so she doesn't want to still be unseeded at next year's Australian Open and potentially draw top seeds in the first round.

starin
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM

:hearts:
Henin served for it and I think had 2 mps. What a goat this Serena is :worship:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:41 PM

:lol:

Dont forget the 2004 Beijing Final (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EsYjt0qoHM&feature=related) and Sydney 1998 when Lindsay was up 6-1 5-2 40-15 :hearts:

(Its funny because 2007 was Henin's best year, 2004 was Kuznetsova's best year and 1998 was one of Lindsay's best year)

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:52 PM
:lol:

Dont forget the 2004 Beijing Final (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EsYjt0qoHM&feature=related) and Sydney 1998 when Lindsay was up 6-1 5-2 40-15 :hearts:

(Its funny because 2007 was Henin's best year, 2004 was Kuznetsova's best year and 1998 was one of Lindsay's best year)

So that's, what, 3 matches out of about 80 matches (at a guess) where she would've faced a match point in the second set that she went on to win? Meaning she would've had a roughly 4% chance of winning the match against Clijsters, even if she hadn't been defaulted when she was. And that counts as a "robbery"? :help:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I was wrong, Serena has won matches after saving mps in second set

Thats what I am reading in your post.

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Thats what I am reading in your post.

When did I say definitively that she hadn't ever done it? :confused: If you care to go back and read my original post, you'll see I was asking if she'd ever done it. :) Eitherway, claiming she was robbed is ridiculous, as Serena's history of pulling back matches from that position (or lack of it) meant the odds were overwhelmingly stacked in favour of Kim at that point.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:59 PM
you'll see I was asking if she'd ever done it. :)

Thats more than just a query, its an implication as far as I am concerned and you were put in your place for it :)

Solitaire
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:02 PM
I don't see why not. She is Serena after all.;)

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Thats more than just a query, its an implication as far as I am concerned and you were put in your place for it :)

Do you know what a question mark is? :)

I couldn't remember any times she'd done it off the top of my head, but I obviously wasn't sure as I haven't memorised every one of Serena's losses, so I asked. If I thought I knew for sure that she'd never done it, I'd've typed "Serena has NEVER saved a match point in the second set of a match and gone on to win."

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:10 PM

Just because it has a question mark in the end doesnt make it a query. Its a rhetorical question implying she hasn't. Keep on backtracking :)

Smitten
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:28 PM

Is this a joke?

Are you really trying to question one of the greatest fighting spirits in the women's game? So now you have to save MPs in the second set to be a worthy fighter.

And to answer your question, in addition to the matches already mentioned Serena has battled back saving MPs in the second set as recently as R1 against Vera Douchevina in 2010 Madrid.

Now bye. :wavey:

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Is this a joke?

Are you really trying to question one of the greatest fighting spirits in the women's game? So now you have to save MPs in the second set to be a worthy fighter.

And to answer your question, in addition to the matches already mentioned Serena has battled back saving MPs in the second set as recently as R1 against Vera Douchevina in 2010 Madrid.

Now bye. :wavey:

Never at any point did I say she was mentally weak or not a fighter. I was simply saying that, even for Serena, saving match points in a second set and going on to win is something she very rarely does - hence, she almost certainly would've lost against Clijsters even if she hadn't been defaulted when she was two match points down. Hence how ridiculous it is to say Serena was "robbed".

Graftard
Jul 9th, 2011, 01:51 AM
No, she's too old. It's time for a new generation.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jul 9th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Never at any point did I say she was mentally weak or not a fighter. I was simply saying that, even for Serena, saving match points in a second set and going on to win is something she very rarely does - hence, she almost certainly would've lost against Clijsters even if she hadn't been defaulted when she was two match points down. Hence how ridiculous it is to say Serena was "robbed".

Well being in a losing position is something Serena rarely does, so coming back from MP by nature would be even rarer.

Fact is, no one has come back from MP in more big matches than Serena, so it was only natural to think that if she didn't get (as far as I know) erroneously called on that FF, she might have come back.

...we'll never know.

cowmoonski
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:52 AM
She played pretty well in Eastbourne and Wimbledon (with the exception of the Bartoli match). Top form? Maybe not. But is she still good enough to win the USO? Yes.

Zvonapova
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:23 AM
She's one of the greatest to ever play. Of course she can!

Raiden
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Fact is, no one has come back from MP in more big matches than SerenaThat's not a fact. No more than the fact that no one has proven that Lady Gaga has no testicles.

Evidently Serena doesn't have any "more than all other player" record in terms of MP-comebacks in slams nor in non slams. Which explains why you went for this selective subjective "big matches" term that could mean anything you want it to be (any match handpicked by you)

Novichok
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:36 AM
That's not a fact any more than the fact that no one has proven Lady Gaga doesn't have testicles.

Serena doesn't have any "more than other player" record in terms of comeback in slams nor in non slams. Your "big matches" misnomer is selective subjective gibberish that could mean anything you want it to be (any match handpicked by you).

Lady Gaga doesn't have testicles. That could easily be proven by someone taking a picture of her genitals. You can easily prove that Serena doesn't comeback the most in bigger matches by showing that another player does.

"big matches" isn't really that subjective. I'm sure most players would agree that the SF of a GS is a "bigger match" than the SF of an International. Use the point system by the WTA to determine relative importance between tournaments and matches.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:41 AM
That's not a fact. No more than the fact that no one has proven that Lady Gaga has no testicles.

Evidently Serena doesn't have any "more than all other player" record in terms of MP-comebacks in slams nor in non slams. Which explains why you went for this selective subjective "big matches" term that could mean anything you want it to be (any match handpicked by you)

No one's come down from match point down against former number ones as much as Serena has.

Better?

Raiden
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Lady Gaga doesn't have testicles. That could easily be proven by someone taking a picture of her genitals. You can easily prove that Serena doesn't comeback the most in bigger matches by showing that another player does.My point was not that it can or can't be done... just that it hasn't been done.

"big matches" isn't really that subjective. I'm sure most players would agree that the SF of a GS is a "bigger match" than the SF of an International. Easier to make a distinction between the the opposite ends, the most important and least important ones. The question is where to draw the line (Premier? Tier II?... etc) and divide and place everything in either of two categories: big and small.

StephenUK
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:24 AM

I couldn't remember any times she'd done it off the top of my head, but I obviously wasn't sure as I haven't memorised every one of Serena's losses, so I asked. If I thought I knew for sure that she'd never done it, I'd've typed "Serena has NEVER saved a match point in the second set of a match and gone on to win."

Serena was NEVER winning that semi-final. The reason why she flipped out at that poor line judge was because she was so flustered because she was getting beaten and she didn't know what to do about it. It was like Andy Murray against Nadal at Wimbledon this year. Serena had totally lost her composure.

At the end of the day she was only defaulted one penalty point on match point so she could well have lost that point and been bundled out of the Open anyway without the umpire's intervention.

Serena is without doubt the greatest player of this century but some of her fans really need to get real. Just like those who claim she would have won the French Open 2003, had Justine not done 'the hand', when that happened in a totally unimportant part of the match and she was again clearly going to lose (what is her head to head v Justine on clay, remind us please); after all she has never won a tournamnent of any shape or form on red clay since French Open 2002; given that record, it's quite incredible that she has EVER won Roland Garros.

Presumably some excuses are being brewed by the Serena Paranoia Society for why Serena was robbed of 2011 Wimbledon; was someone in the crowd making a wax figure of her and sticking pins in it at critical moments? :lol:

KBlade
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Serena was NEVER winning that semi-final. The reason why she flipped out at that poor line judge was because she was so flustered because she was getting beaten and she didn't know what to do about it. It was like Andy Murray against Nadal at Wimbledon this year. Serena had totally lost her composure.

At the end of the day she was only defaulted one penalty point on match point so she could well have lost that point and been bundled out of the Open anyway without the umpire's intervention.

Serena is without doubt the greatest player of this century but some of her fans really need to get real. Just like those who claim she would have won the French Open 2003, had Justine not done 'the hand', when that happened in a totally unimportant part of the match and she was again clearly going to lose (what is her head to head v Justine on clay, remind us please); after all she has never won a tournamnent of any shape or form on red clay since French Open 2002; given that record, it's quite incredible that she has EVER won Roland Garros.

Presumably some excuses are being brewed by the Serena Paranoia Society for why Serena was robbed of 2011 Wimbledon; was someone in the crowd making a wax figure of her and sticking pins in it at critical moments? :lol:

I agree with you mostly on the US Open debacle, however, Serena has history of woeful calls being made against her at essential times in slams. Capriati and Martinez Sanchez come to mind immediately, so it was also possibly the straw that broke the camel's back.

but the French? Please, do you really want to go there?

Serena was the defending Champion, and at that point, Serena had defeated Justine in their only previous encounter on red clay. Justine hadn't even won a slam yet, and Serena was arguably in the clay court form of her career up until her knee surgery.

She was never going to win and it didn't happen at a crucial moment? Good joke, she was up 4-2 in the final set, and that point could have possibly given her a 40-0 lead on her service. The crowd were just looking for an excuse to jump all over her given that she had thrashed their country-woman Mauresmo in the previous round. Reality check please.

And as for your final comment, most Serena fans are pleased she's even back on the court, and the fact that she technically made it to the second week of a slam in her second tournament from her 12 month hiatus.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:13 AM

ummm did you actually watch those matches??? and serena didn't win 13 slams by people choking for her all the time...:lol:

bepa - serena was serving for the match in 2 sets before going off kilter and bepa's fh finally turning up...then even 5-2 up in the 3rd bepa still had to win it 7-5....sure sounds like it was easy to close out serena now returning from 11 months off

bartoli - serena's return was off...she hit the occassional wowzer like lindsay said, but her reaction timing was not what she was acccustomed to seeing from serena, and LINDSAY (not I) said that's the major difference between serena now and serena who won last year, and it will take some match play before it comes back

of course it's easier for them to take advantage when her game is a bit up and down...of course they are both good players, but you don't go from being stomped in the wimbledon final the previous year, to all of a sudden being a mental giant (especially given how bepa went down afterwards at wimbledon)....marion was in good form so it would have taken serena from last year to stop her...and even serena with off timing still made it competitive...again, you don't go from not winning a set off a player to being a mental giant that player can't overcome...marion served for the 1st set and almost got broken, had (according to lindsay remember) the ROS been working...marion served for the match and got broken for the 1st time (how often do you say that in serena matches), then came the TB and serena threw away some crucial points (like the attempted dropper)...you don't expect that after 11 months??

let's not make this out to more than it is...serena now came back, played some dangerous players and lost...nothing more, nothing less :lol: stop getting your hopes up

marineblue
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:31 AM

Oh, so this is what happened! :lol:

Serenita
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Offcourse she can. She's Serena Williams.

dsanders06
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:44 PM

:worship:

Lachy
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:55 PM
:lol: at the robbing claims. I can never look at Serena the same after 'Foot Fault' :tape: :lol:

Anyway in regards to the question, I think she will absolutely hit top form again. Her game and strokes are so clean and even after the long lay-off you can see they are still there, especially her serve.

harloo
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:58 PM
ummm did you actually watch those matches??? and serena didn't win 13 slams by people choking for her all the time...:lol:

bepa - serena was serving for the match in 2 sets before going off kilter and bepa's fh finally turning up...then even 5-2 up in the 3rd bepa still had to win it 7-5....sure sounds like it was easy to close out serena now returning from 11 months off

bartoli - serena's return was off...she hit the occassional wowzer like lindsay said, but her reaction timing was not what she was acccustomed to seeing from serena, and LINDSAY (not I) said that's the major difference between serena now and serena who won last year, and it will take some match play before it comes back

of course it's easier for them to take advantage when her game is a bit up and down...of course they are both good players, but you don't go from being stomped in the wimbledon final the previous year, to all of a sudden being a mental giant (especially given how bepa went down afterwards at wimbledon)....marion was in good form so it would have taken serena from last year to stop her...and even serena with off timing still made it competitive...again, you don't go from not winning a set off a player to being a mental giant that player can't overcome...marion served for the 1st set and almost got broken, had (according to lindsay remember) the ROS been working...marion served for the match and got broken for the 1st time (how often do you say that in serena matches), then came the TB and serena threw away some crucial points (like the attempted dropper)...you don't expect that after 11 months??

let's not make this out to more than it is...serena now came back, played some dangerous players and lost...nothing more, nothing less :lol: stop getting your hopes up

It's so funny how they're scared of the possibility of Serena getting her game back on track. To sit up here and overreact to an elite player losing two tournaments after being inactive for a year due to a life threatening injury is pathetic. She showed excellent signs at Wimbledon but of course she will need time to get her game back to Championship level. :tape::lol: She was sidelined for a year, no training, practice, etc. unlike Kim and Justine and others who made a "comeback".

The Witch-king
Jul 9th, 2011, 01:10 PM

You realise that Serena was up a break in that third set when Heng decided to do just about ANYTHING short of having sex w/ her husband to win, right?

bandabou
Jul 9th, 2011, 01:23 PM

Agreed. U.S. open used to be the WS's playground, but not anymore..now it's Kimmy's playground.

About Serena not having the fearfactor? They didn't choke because they knew that this wasn't vintage Serena. IF they were ever gonna beat Serena, it'd be early in her comeback. Serena never still rusty and couldn't really finish the girls off, so they got a second life.

bandabou
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:02 PM

Funny, funny...:lol: But agreed..Serena lost to Kim fair and square, her loss to Juju too. No excuses. Not good taste by Juju, but ok..it is what it is.

Finally people can amdit that Serena's the greatest of the new century so far! :sobbing: Yess! Was already getting tired about the Serena vs Juju talk.

bandabou
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:07 PM
That's not a fact. No more than the fact that no one has proven that Lady Gaga has no testicles.

:haha: :rolls: who are these guys?! I mean, really? Serena is the only person to win THREE majors after having saved mp's, she's won Miami after having saved mp's...:lol: OMG!! What's going on with people these days? :facepalm:

Gdsimmons
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:35 PM
It's so funny how they're scared of the possibility of Serena getting her game back on track. To sit up here and overreact to an elite player losing two tournaments after being inactive for a year due to a life threatening injury is pathetic. She showed excellent signs at Wimbledon but of course she will need time to get her game back to Championship level. :tape::lol: She was sidelined for a year, no training, practice, etc. unlike Kim and Justine and others who made a "comeback".

Speak on it!

HippityHop
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I want her to have a WC.

Tournament Director's nightmare, them meeting in the first round.

Novichok
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM

Serena fans are criticized because we say that she had a chance to win the match but you can say with absolute certainty that she was going to lose? When did you become omniscient?:rolleyes:

I have not read anyone saying that Serena was robbed of Wimbledon 2011. Maybe it's some Serena fan doppelganger that you've invented? :lol:

justineheninfan
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:50 PM
She will but maybe not this year. She could have many prime years left though if she can stay healthy. Martina was in her prime until age 32-33 and played until 37. Chris was in her prime until age 33 and could have played until 37.

HippityHop
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:53 PM
My point was not that it can or can't be done... just that it hasn't been done.

Easier to make a distinction between the the opposite ends, the most important and least important ones. The question is where to draw the line (Premier? Tier II?... etc) and divide and place everything in either of two categories: big and small.

There really is no question if you answer honestly about what would players prefer to win: a slam or a Tier I or II? Of course if you are never going to win a slam then Tier I's are nice consolation prizes. :angel:

AlwaysGraf
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Oh dear.

Ha Ha you make her sound as if she has a tennis brain!
Before, she was a a very muslcy girl who just hit the ball hard.
Now, she's less muscly, still bigger than everyone else, and gets more balls in without hitting hard. She just gets it back using her strength. She doesn't particularly move the ball around intelligently, she still can't hit a decent dropshot and she can't volley properly to save her life. She got where she is because she's genetically bigger than most and fearless. She is not an intelligent player.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:03 PM

Serena was "clearly going to lose" a match in which she was up 4-2 in the final set. Of course!

And Justine had a 2-1 h2h advantage over Serena on clay at the time. One of those two was won in a third set tiebreak.

Apparently assuming that Serena, who's won GS semifinals after being down match point, could again win a GS semifinal after being down match point is absurd, but implying that Serena was never going to win the FO 2003 semi despite being up 4-2 in the 3rd is completely fine.

Some people here are not operating on full wattage today.

Novichok
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Ha Ha you make her sound as if she has a tennis brain!
Before, she was a a very muslcy girl who just hit the ball hard.
Now, she's less muscly, still bigger than everyone else, and gets more balls in without hitting hard. She just gets it back using her strength. She doesn't particularly move the ball around intelligently, she still can't hit a decent dropshot and she can't volley properly to save her life. She got where she is because she's genetically bigger than most and fearless. She is not an intelligent player.

Have you watched Serena at all since 2007?:rolleyes:

Matt01
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:08 PM
She will but maybe not this year. She could have many prime years left though if she can stay healthy. Martina was in her prime until age 32-33 and played until 37. Chris was in her prime until age 33 and could have played until 37.

Different eras which are not comparable and your numbers aren't true, either. Martina was in her prime until about age 30 and the same goes for Chris.

Raiden
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:18 PM
:haha: :rolls: who are these guys?! I mean, really? Serena is the only person to win THREE majors after having saved mp's, she's won Miami after having saved mp's...:lol: OMG!! What's going on with people these days? :facepalm:You can be hysterical if you want but (in the open era) only Capriati and Venus won a slam final after being down matchpoint(s).

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:20 PM
You can be hysterical if you want but (in the open era) only Capriati and Venus won a slam final after being down matchpoint(s).

That's nice, but:

bandabou never said anything about slam finals in his post, and

The Serena Clijsters match wasn't a slam final

Thanks for the non sequitur though. I was in desperate need of one today.

Matt01
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:20 PM
You can be hysterical if you want but (in the open era) only Capriati and Venus won a slam final after being down matchpoint(s).

GOATs :worship:

Novichok
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:28 PM

You didn't actually refute anything that he said.:lol:

Gdsimmons
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Are we even talking about Serena getting in top form anymore?

dsanders06
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:44 PM
You realise that Serena was up a break in that third set when Heng decided to do just about ANYTHING short of having sex w/ her husband to win, right?

Oh, so did Henin put up her hand on every single point after 4-2 in that set? I was under the impression that 'the Hand' only cost Serena one first serve... if Serena lost her concentration because of that, that's her own fault. Or maybe Henin just lifted her game to win, which would've happened regardless of 'the Hand'.

Serena fans are criticized because we say that she had a chance to win the match but you can say with absolute certainty that she was going to lose? When did you become omniscient?:rolleyes:

We've established that, as Serena has only saved MPs in a 2nd set and gone on to win three times in her whole career, that averages out at a 4% chance she would've beaten Clijsters had she not been defaulted. That's about as close to certain as you can get.

The Dawntreader
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Different eras which are not comparable and your numbers aren't true, either. Martina was in her prime until about age 30 and the same goes for Chris.

She wasn't in her prime. No athlete is in their prime from 30 onwards. Navratilova's prime was 82-84.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM
This whle blabbering has been non sequitur from the beginning, don't you get it?

It doesn't matter how many minuscule amount of matches Serena has won after being matchpint down cuz the unchanging fact remains that she has LOST MANY MORE matches after being matchpoint down. It is STILL far more likely that Serena loses the match if her opponent gets matchpoint. End of story. Everything else is non sequitur Reetard gibberish.

If you restrict it simply to GS semis, the numbers are much more favorable for Serena.

dsanders06
Jul 9th, 2011, 04:05 PM
If you restrict it simply to GS semis, the numbers are much more favorable for Serena.

Serena has never saved a MP in the second set and gone on to win a Slam SF.

Pump-it-UP
Jul 9th, 2011, 04:14 PM
We've established that, as Serena has only saved MPs in a 2nd set and gone on to win three times in her whole career, that averages out at a 4% chance she would've beaten Clijsters had she not been defaulted. That's about as close to certain as you can get.
4%? Come on... :lol: Mathematics are thrown away in GS play when Serena is involved, especially since she was playing a player notorious for getting tight in big moments against her. She's made a career by digging herself out of holes similar to the one she was in. In recent years, the 2nd sets of her AO 09 QF, RG 09 QF, Wim 09 SF, AO 10 QF, and RG 10 QF immediately spring to mind. But if you really want to get into the math, Kim has converted less than 25% of the MPs she's had against Serena. Not to mention her BP conversion was something like 33% in that very match. So Serena only gets a 4% chance to save 2 MPs on her own serve? :lol: I have a feeling Kim would have won that match anyway, but to say Serena only had a 4% chance to crawl out of that hole is silly.

Another equally irrelevant fact: Kim has never converted a matchpoint against Serena in GS play and choked at the end of both of their previous GS matches.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 9th, 2011, 04:29 PM

Did I say she did? Jerriy never referenced that in his post.

bandabou
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Ohhhh, so now only major finals count now. :lol: You're really funny. Anyways..Serena has shown her ability to comeback from mp's down many times.

Now you wanna try act funny and say that Serena has lost more matches after facing mp than she has won...but who HASN'T?
If it was such a normal thing to saving mp's and win a match, then it wouldn't be special when Serena or anybody else did it no? :shrug:

Nice try at being smartass, but epic fail. :lol:

Stonerpova
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:35 PM
She might approach the US Open Series differently this year and actually try. But yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if she played poorly during the Series and then won the Open

dsanders06
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Ohhhh, so now only major finals count now. :lol: You're really funny. Anyways..Serena has shown her ability to comeback from mp's down many times.

Now you wanna try act funny and say that Serena has lost more matches after facing mp than she has won...but who HASN'T?
If it was such a normal thing to saving mp's and win a match, then it wouldn't be special when Serena or anybody else did it no? :shrug:

Which is why Clijsters would've almost certainly won that US Open SF even if Serena hadn't been defaulted when she was, because, even if Serena saves MPs and wins more than most, it's still an extremely rare occurrence. Especially as the momentum was all with Kim at that point anyway (she'd come back from a break down in that second set iirc), and Serena's level was only going downhill in the last few games.

bandabou
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Which is why Clijsters would've almost certainly won that US Open SF even if Serena hadn't been defaulted when she was, because, even if Serena saves MPs and wins more than most, it's still an extremely rare occurrence. Especially as the momentum was all with Kim at that point anyway (she'd come back from a break down in that second set iirc), and Serena's level was only going downhill in the last few games.

I never was the one who disputed that. Would've been very very difficult for Serena to comeback and besides the manner in which she lost, was her own doing anyways. No problemos.

But Jerry acting like what Serena's done saving mp's in the past isn't special, that was my discussion point.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jul 9th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Are we even talking about Serena getting in top form anymore?

no as usual it turns into how bad/lucky/manly/violent serena is