PDA

View Full Version : How do the world view Malaysia?

azmad_88
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:50 PM
im just wondering..

just be honest..thanks

Wert.
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:19 PM
High-Tech Land and Beutiful :)

Whitehead's Boy
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:28 PM
People outside Asia are vastly ignorant about it and generally have no opinion on the country. As a tourist destination, it's very underrated. The food is also underrated, very hard to find a cooking book while there are so many Thai and Vietnamese cooking books.

ptkten
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Unfortunately most Americans wouldn't be able to differentiate it from other SE Asian countries. I think Americans might know about the Petronas towers and that the capital was Kuala Lumpur. Malaysians haven't immigrated here in the numbers that people from other Asian countries have so it's not as well known.

As for me, I haven't been there but it seems nice. Modern, developed country and in a beautiful setting.

Just Do It
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Censoring Beyonce for being too provocative.

Whitehead's Boy
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Outside KL, it's really not that modern or developed. (Not that it's a bad thing just saying).

Super Dave
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I hear Caro has signed on to do a commercial for Malaysian Airlines :shrug:

Seriously, I will admit ignorance and say that my first word-association-type thought was "caning".

Mynarco
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Truly Asia.

Wanna go to Kinabalu

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Censoring Beyonce for being too provocative.
:worship:

I hear Caro has signed on to do a commercial for Malaysian Airlines :shrug:

Seriously, I will admit ignorance and say that my first word-association-type thought was "caning".
:eek: Seriously?:speakles: :haha:

Truly Asia.

Wanna go to Kinabalu
Mount Kinabalu is pretty nice.:hearts:

RR-87
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:09 PM
KL, Alex Yoong ( :haha: ) and heat.

Djezonfly
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Crazy monkeys

moby
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Singapore's weak-ass backward neighbour. Duh.

Apoleb
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:14 PM
A pretty interesting confluence of modernization and tradititional (i.e backward) values.

Hayato
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I was there last year, some of my best friends are Malaysians. I think it's a great country, but of course with it's own problems like institutional racism, the Chinese-race seem to earn all the money and the higher company positions, yet the Malays seem to benefit from all the government privileges, especially universities. Seems like there's an unspoken and horrendously racist belief by many, particularly within the government, that the Muslim Malays are the "real" Malaysians and the Malaysians with Chinese and Indian origins are only considered Malays because of the special privileges/skills they provide, in exchange for citizenship. Not sure if this "1 Malaysia" slogan has really been a success at all. Nonetheless, I think it's difficult for any country to have three main races and to strike an equilibrium, hopefully progress will be made.
I loved KL, Genting and Malacca, Penang and KK look really scenic too. :hearts:

currie84
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:23 PM
i know almost nothing about Malysisa.Kuala Lumbur,muslims,tanned chinese.that's all.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:53 PM
The first thing that comes to my mind when hearing the word Malaysia is that advert Malaysia truly Asia :sobbing: Then it's the poster Imperfect Angel and then the beaches because I've heard they are really beautiful :)

njnetswill
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Are they the ones that accused their Prime Minister of sodomy or something like that? :scratch:

Amazing food though. There's a great Malaysian place in NJ. Not sure if it is still open...

The only Malaysians I've met are ethnically Chinese.

Solitaire
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I always think of the harsh law system, Kuala Lumpur, Michelle Yeoh Choo-Kheng :hearts: and Petronas Towers.

Ryan
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I know how to spell Malaysia, but thats about all I know of the place.

antonella
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Aren't they superpowers in badminton or something like that??

Kworb
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Very anti-sex, anti-gay. Islamic.

miffedmax
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Fall of Singapore, sinking of the Prince of Wales and Repulse, Brewster Buffaloes, jungle campaign, post-war counter insurgency.

Yes, I read too much World War II history.

Pops Maellard
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:37 AM
:tears:

moby
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Malaysia is not anti-sex anymore. They have such wonderful things as the Obedient Wives Club, which now threatens to have a Singapore chapter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/05/obedient-wives-club-malaysia_n_871447.html
http://www.mmail.com.my/content/74335-obedient-wives-club-%E2%80%98you%E2%80%99re-mistaken%E2%80%99

“OUR noble intention has been unfairly misinterpreted.”

That's the stance of the now infamous Obedient Wives Club (OWC) – launched only four days ago – which felt that its proclamation that wives should serve their husbands “better than a first-class prostitute” was taken in the wrong context.

Ever since the club’s vice-president, Dr Rohaya Mohamed, made the controversial statement last Saturday, it has been savaged and subjected to ridicule by the Press, women’s groups and religious bodies locally and internationally.

Dr Rohaya’s call was viewed by most as denigrating, as it painted a picture that women should always play a subservient role in a marriage.

The Malay Mail visited Bandar Country Homes in Rawang, where Global Ikhwan Sdn Bhd – the multi-business corporation that runs OWC – is based and spoke with the club’s national director Fauziah Ariffin.

“I have been receiving non-stop calls since the launch,” said the jovial 40-something Fauziah, just after she hung up on a phone conversation with Time magazine, which were seeking to interview her.

“I believe we have been misunderstood and misinterpreted. When we said that husbands should treat their wives like first-class prostitutes, we were not putting wives on the same level with prostitutes. We are talking about first-class elite types, not street hooker types.

"Our wives provide men with top-level service. However, ordinary prostitutes can only provide good sex, but not love and affection which only a wife can provide.

“Hence, as wives, we must treat our husbands better. It’s not just in bed, but everything that a wife can offer. Optimise your role. If we provide our husbands more than a prostitute can give, then our husbands will not go out looking for it.”

Fauziah also argued that obedient wives will not cause husbands to take their partner for granted, but in fact, it will make them better husbands.

“When a husband comes home and receives good treatment from the wife, they become better and more loving husbands. Why would they treat their spouse badly if they are treated well?” she said.

“I also read somewhere that footballers often engage in sex with their partners or prostitutes before a match as this will boost their confidence. Likewise, when a husband gets a healthy dose of good sex they become motivated at work.”

Fauziah stressed that in Islam, there are four things that wives must do to enter heaven: to pray, to fast during Ramadan, to protect their chastity, and to be obedient wives – and it is often the fourth aspect that modern wives neglect.

Mattographer
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:34 AM
"Entrapment" with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Sean Connery.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Are they the ones that accused their Prime Minister of sodomy or something like that? :scratch:

Former deputy Prime Minister. Not going to go too detail about it anyway.:tape:

Aren't they superpowers in badminton or something like that??
Now it's just like the US women tennis with just the Williams sisters.

Malaysia is not anti-sex anymore. They have such wonderful things as the Obedient Wives Club, which now threatens to have a Singapore chapter.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/05/obedient-wives-club-malaysia_n_871447.html
http://www.mmail.com.my/content/74335-obedient-wives-club-%E2%80%98you%E2%80%99re-mistaken%E2%80%99
Can't good rep you anymore.:(

eck
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Restrictive and close-minded.

melodynelson
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:22 PM

This. I suppose it'd be nice to visit, though, I guess? Countries with rules like that scare me, though.

Ashi
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Well, on a negative note, the bad treatment of ethnic Indians in Malaysia, almost like second class citizens.

On a positive note, Beautiful country, culture, food, Petronas towers, The Malaysian Grand Prix, Alex Yoong! :hearts:, the old field hockey bastion- The Sultan Azlan Shah Cup tournament! :)

I was also going to say, Taufeeq Hidayat :inlove:, till I remembered he's Indonesian. :oh: ;)

fifty-fifty
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Malaysia backs down from yoga ban amid backlash;)

(Reuters) - Malaysia's prime minister said Wednesday Muslims should still take up yoga, reversing an outright ban that has drawn widespread protests amid concerns over growing Islamic fundamentalism in the multiracial nation.

Malaysia's National Fatwa Council, comprising Islamic scholars, told Muslims at the weekend to avoid yoga because it uses Hindu prayers that could erode Muslims' faith.

But the decision drew a sharp rebuke from many Muslims and even Malaysia's sultans, or hereditary rulers, who said that they should be consulted on any matters involving Islam.

Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi moved to contain the damage, telling the national news agency Bernama that Muslims could carry on doing yoga but minus the chanting.

"I wish to state that a physical regime with no elements of worship can continue, meaning, it is not banned. I believe that Muslims are not easily swayed into polytheism," he said.

Just before Abdullah spoke, the eldest son of the ruler of the central Negeri Sembilan state took the government to task over the yoya ruling.

"Islam is a progressive religion and the ulama (scholars) should be confident of the followers' faith rather than micro-managing their way of life," Tunku Naquiyuddin told a luncheon.

"If I go to a church or a Buddhist temple, is there any fear of me converting? ... Where do we draw the line?" the online version of the Star newspaper quoted him as saying.

The yoga fatwa ruling came hot on the heels of another edict against young Muslim women wearing trousers.

Fatwas or religious edicts are not legally binding, but they are highly influential in Malaysia, where Malay-Muslims form just over half of the country's 27 million people.

The fatwa council has said that by wearing trousers, girls risked becoming sexually active "tomboys." Gay sex is outlawed in Malaysia.

Malaysia's sizeable minorities include ethnic Chinese and Indians who practice either Christianity, Buddhism or Hinduism.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/11/26/us-malaysia-islam-yoga-idUSTRE4AP2CA20081126
(Reporting by Jalil Hamid)

skanky~skanketta
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Singapore's weak-ass backward neighbour. Duh.
Bitch, please. Wait. Shite, you're right. Thankfully I have American citizenship!

Just Do It
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:07 PM
i know almost nothing about Malysisa.Kuala Lumbur,muslims,tanned chinese.that's all.

WTF :sobbing:

Whitehead's Boy
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:24 PM
As a tourist, there's no issue to drink or have gay sex in KL.

I think the edge of KL over Singapore is the cost of living. Also I think we can all survive without the tacky Sensota Island.

rockstar
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:17 PM
As a tourist, there's no issue to drink or have gay sex in KL.

I think the edge of KL over Singapore is the cost of living. Also I think we can all survive without the tacky Sensota Island.

sentosa is da bomb

eck
Jul 9th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Adding on: Controlling and Corrupted.

Specter
Jul 9th, 2011, 08:30 AM
They have an F1 Grand Prix. And they're muslim.