PDA

View Full Version : Commentary for SW10

Spice
Jul 7th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Did anyone hear complain about the Commentary to the Beeb. I read a report saying loads had complained about the sub standard commentary saying it was more like idle chit chat! Henman and Mac were two of the team complained about!

ANDREW CASTLE WAS THE WORST!:bounce:

nemurenai
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Great. Andrew Castle is inept, but most of all he's nasty. I was watching Lopez v Roddick, and when Lopez almost ran into the stand he said something like "I bet the women there would like that; Lopez barrelling down on them". NO ONE wants to hear that.

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Great. Andrew Castle is inept, but most of all he's nasty. I was watching Lopez v Roddick, and when Lopez almost ran into the stand he said something like "I bet the women there would like that; Lopez barrelling down on them". NO ONE wants to hear that.

God yeah Andrew Castle totally winds me up he just talks total rubbish and he has this really patronising tone like he is saying the viewer knows nowt about tennis!!! GET HIM OFF OUR SCREENS!!!
John McEnroe and Tim Henman are ok tho. I quite enjoy Johnny Mac's Commentary!!

edificio
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Glad to see these commentators get some official criticism. I still think Jo Durie and Ginny are the most fun in the booth, both enjoying the game. Bradnam isn't bad, even if he can be obnoxious sometimes. McEnroe can get into nostalgic talk of the past, and he is also somewhat dismissive of the women's game, so...give them a good talking too, BBC.

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Glad to see these commentators get some official criticism. I still think Jo Durie and Ginny are the most fun in the booth, both enjoying the game. Bradnam isn't bad, even if he can be obnoxious sometimes. McEnroe can get into nostalgic talk of the past, and he is also somewhat dismissive of the women's game, so...give them a good talking too, BBC.

I DON'T think Johnny Mac is dismissive of the Women's game at all. Castle, Henman and Becker are tho.

Dementinator
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:46 PM
SW19 unless they moved the place.

The team was crap, full of hopless British Ex Players, Castle, Croft, Sam Smith etc.
Plus the woman with a voice like a strimmer, Tracey Austin.

Nothing is worse than listening to the likes of Sam Smith going on about how it should be done and how bad a player like Pironkova was, true, Pironlova can be and usually is crap, but even at her worst she would beat the likes of Smith with a broken leg and and Anvil tied to her ass.

Its either that or endless prattling on from Mr Mcenroe, we need a "Press your Red button to shut the inane babbling" option.

edificio
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I DON'T think Johnny Mac is dismissive of the Women's game at all. Castle, Henman and Becker are tho.

Well, some are worse, but at Wimbledon this year he had his bad moments. So we can agree to disagree.

---

Sam Smith does drone on and on. Drives me nuts. Even in doubles she is repetitive and droning. Even if she knows something about tennis, I often wish she would just shut up. Tracy Austin's voice, however, sounds/feels like someone is stabbing my ear with an awl.

Level55
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:50 PM
It does bug me how Andrew Castle fawns over the men, especially Rafa. They never mention the fact that some people find his game really boring to watch. They only ever bring up the criticism of the women's game :rolleyes:

veryborednow
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:48 PM
At least the pros know something about tennis, it's these new guys that have no connection to the game and clearly know absolutely nothing that were so irritating.

The worst by far was one of the new guys (I heard him last year too I think), he commentated on the Li - Lisicki match and started babbling on about the Chinese Symphony Orchestra, called Vika "Azarenko", the cricket and clearly had a list of complete bollocks to talk about in between points that had nothing to do with tennis. He was often by himself just prattling on. It was seriously irritating.

veryborednow
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Tracy Austin cannot for the life of her pronounce the word "error" correctly, which makes it unfortunate that she's a tennis commentator.

Eh-rur, Tracy, not E-rrr.

Slutiana
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
His finest (or rather, most fucked up moment) was at the French Open during Masha vs Chan. Sam Smith was talking about Chan's 'Latisha' nickname and so Castle decided to give him and Sam a "chinese" nickname. He named himself "Sun-Yoo" and he named Sam "Sun-Yoo-Tuu". Just awful.

Craig.
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:30 PM
His finest (or rather, most fucked up moment) was at the French Open during Masha vs Chan. Sam Smith was talking about Chan's 'Latisha' nickname and so Castle decided to give him and Sam a "chinese" nickname. He named himself "Sun-Yoo" and he named Sam "Sun-Yoo-Tuu". Just awful.

What in God's name :hysteric:

edificio
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:40 PM

That's awful. Some things you should just resist elaborating on.

Muffin the Mule
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I complained, specifically about Andrew Castle. The response from the BBC was a bit lame, basically they know everyone can't stand him but they won't do anything about it.

The best scenario would be for him to be the anchor if Sue leaves, at least that way we can just watch the matches without having to listen to his inane chit-chat and constant explanation of the rules of tennis every five minutes.

Maria rocks
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:43 AM

I remember that!!! Even Sam Smith was Cringing i reckon.

Maria rocks
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:48 AM
It does bug me how Andrew Castle fawns over the men, especially Rafa. They never mention the fact that some people find his game really boring to watch. They only ever bring up the criticism of the women's game :rolleyes:

Oh i know. He is the same about Roger Federer. :rolleyes: To be fair he isn't sexist i don't find. He is just annoying and talks total rubbish and talks down to the people watching as if we don't know the rules of tennis.

sammy01
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:00 PM
castle has got this annoying thing where he has to go on about the male players bodies. when he is going on about how strong 'x' player is and talking up their legs or arms or shoulders.

we don't have football commentators banging on about the players bodies, or in other sports. it is really creepy.

Nicolas
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:32 PM

:spit:

BartoliBabes
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM

cringe:help: i remember this:o i think tim henman, andrew castle, greg rusedski and them other guys that aren't even tennis related should be sacked, just awful:help: i love listening to virginia wade and jo durie though:drool: i've gone off sam smith, such a f-ing know it all:o

Malkmus_
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:51 PM
I couldn't agree more, the coverage is mediocre at best. I find it odd that we have players who have achieved fuck all down as 'experts', such as Sam Smith, Andrew Castle, John Lloyd, Greg Rusedski etc. The one commentator I enjoyed was Lindsay Davenport, and obviously as a former Champion, she knows what she's talking about. I'd like to see more former Champions on the commentary team and involved in studio analysis. Less Tracy Austin too please. Also Sue Barker, shut up about Andy Murray please! Yes, we know he's our only hope of victory, but do you really have to go on about him during the Ladies' and Men's final?!!!! :o

Maria rocks
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM
The commentators i like are Sam Smith, Jo Durie, Virginia Wade, Lindsay Davenport, John McCenroe. The rest just well are way way below par.

nemurenai
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I love the credits that they give to the commentators e.g. Rusedski - Former world number 4. This year they had a brtish player whom they advertised as a former DOUBLES world number 76 or something. :spit: When Laura Robson inevitablty comes to commentate, it will be "Laura Robson - was 4-2 up against Sharapova at Wimbledon 2011" (or they could go with her junior championship, I suppose)

veryborednow
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I love the credits that they give to the commentators e.g. Rusedski - Former world number 4.
"Andrew Castle, former British No. 1." (i.e. with world ranking so low, even the BBC is embarrassed to mention it on air).

Maria rocks
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:12 AM
"Andrew Castle, former British No. 1." (i.e. with world ranking so low, even the BBC is embarrassed to mention it on air).

Ha ha yeah. John LLoyd (Australian open finalist) thats another one!!!

Pops Maellard
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I liked Becker's commentary.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jul 9th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I'm sorry, it's not the commentary we need to complain about.

It's that idiot John Inverdale! Why the BBC insist on having such a bore as the face to their highlights show is beyond me!

Claire Balding needs to be a bigger part of Wimbledon. Hell, I wouldn't mind if she overtook Sue Barker as the main presenter and Sue took over John Inverdale!

Excelscior
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I couldn't agree more, the coverage is mediocre at best. I find it odd that we have players who have achieved fuck all down as 'experts', such as Sam Smith, Andrew Castle, John Lloyd, Greg Rusedski etc. The one commentator I enjoyed was Lindsay Davenport, and obviously as a former Champion, she knows what she's talking about. I'd like to see more former Champions on the commentary team and involved in studio analysis. Less Tracy Austin too please. Also Sue Barker, shut up about Andy Murray please! Yes, we know he's our only hope of victory, but do you really have to go on about him during the Ladies' and Men's final?!!!! :o

Obviously you didn't get to experience Chris Evert on ESPN recently and Jimmy Connors on Tennis channel? They were both HORRIBLE!

Connor's it seem had the least to say. His favorite line was "Martina what you think", and he could barely speak clear English

Chris Evert's problem was the opposite. She talked to much. Yeah, she was great on player insight (what they may be feeling at a particular moment). But she was HORRIBLE when it came to current player knowledge and analysis outside of the Williams sisters and Sharapova; just awful!!

KournikovaFan91
Jul 9th, 2011, 09:14 AM
castle has got this annoying thing where he has to go on about the male players bodies. when he is going on about how strong 'x' player is and talking up their legs or arms or shoulders.

we don't have football commentators banging on about the players bodies, or in other sports. it is really creepy.
Yes I have noticed his commentary to be creepily homoerotic at times.

Believe me I like homoeroticism but not from Andrew Castle.

Ian Aberdon
Jul 9th, 2011, 01:32 PM
"Andrew Castle {failed GMTV presenter}"

Maria rocks
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I liked Becker's commentary.

Oh yeah i quite like Boris doing the commentary. Boris, Johnny mac and Henman is ok.

Maria rocks
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry, it's not the commentary we need to complain about.

It's that idiot John Inverdale! Why the BBC insist on having such a bore as the face to their highlights show is beyond me!

Claire Balding needs to be a bigger part of Wimbledon. Hell, I wouldn't mind if she overtook Sue Barker as the main presenter and Sue took over John Inverdale!

Ah Inverdale is ok. Today at Wimbledon wouldn't be the same without him.

Maria rocks
Jul 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM

Ha ha you can't blame Sue for that. Imagine how she would be if Andy Murray actually won it ha ha. Tracy Austin is ok i find. Always sad on today at Wimbledon on the final Saturday night when she says she is flying home the next day thats when it kind of sinks in that Wimbledon is drawing to a close for another year:(