PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Jankovic

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:01 AM
What has happened to Jelena? Has she passed her peak now? I always thought she may win a Grand Slam but the chance now seems to be slipping away from her. Shame really.

Slutiana
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:33 AM
She's going to win the US Open. [/endthread]

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:35 AM

Really? Wow!!! That would be great.

Chrissie-fan
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I think she lacks motivation at this point, and to win a slam - or to do well on the tour in general you have to be passionate about it. Jelena at her peak didn't win a slam, but the sad thing for her is that she started to slip at the wrong time. The Jankovic of 2008 would have been a very serious candidate to win a slam in 2010-2011. So in a way, she possibly has missed her window of opportunity. Maybe she needs to take a break and only come back when she actually feels like playing again.

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I think she lacks motivation at this point, and to win a slam - or to do well on the tour in general you have to be passionate about it. Jelena at her peak didn't win a slam, but the sad thing for her is that she started to slip at the wrong time. The Jankovic of 2008 would have been a very serious candidate to win a slam in 2010-2011. So in a way, she possibly has missed her window of opportunity. Maybe she needs to take a break and only come back when she actually feels like playing again.

This is what i have been saying for ages now. She looks so un motivated. A long break and then come back fresh could do the trick.

Pops Maellard
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:45 AM
She's lost her lipgloss motivation at the moment, but 2012 will be her renaissance year.

Run along now. Nothing to see here.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d137/kerri_gwen/Gifs/3vmn8-1.gif

ElusiveChanteuse
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:06 AM
She will win the Golden Calender Slam in 2012.:cheer:

Libertango
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:12 AM
She's burnt out and lost her love for the game. You can see it on-court; the smile isn't the same. Maybe she should take some months out, to see if that desire returns to play and WIN.

There have been two I've always longed for a GS for; Na and JJ. I never believed it'd be Na who'd do it. Now I'd love it for JJ to snag one, but I'm losing hope very quickly.

Linguae^
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Passed her peak? How you dare?!
Noo, she is coming back soon. To take all the US series crowns. :rocker:

hotandspicey
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I think that loss to Serena in the US open final of 2008, really messed her up. She seems to have gone downhill since then. Hopefully this is the time she bounces back and makes a good attempt at another slam final.

toxina90
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:36 PM
She blew her chances at RG and US Open 2008. Should have had 2 in 1 year :o

18majors
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Does JJ still have heart for tennis? She looked tird every time I saw her.

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:42 PM
She now works as an actress
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_o56KzAyiiig/TJa9kYO9hQI/AAAAAAAAA6I/TKUdmXTmA2g/s1600/samara_bigger.jpg

Roookie
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I think that loss to Serena in the US open final of 2008, really messed her up. She seems to have gone downhill since then. Hopefully this is the time she bounces back and makes a good attempt at another slam final.

What...Jelena played some of her best tennis after that (Fall 2008). I don't know what happened and why she lost her motivation. Obviously the preassure of being a slamless number one got to her. But then she was able to play great tennis again (spring 2010: IW + clay season). Who knows...

Miracle Worker
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:57 PM
She now works as an actress
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_o56KzAyiiig/TJa9kYO9hQI/AAAAAAAAA6I/TKUdmXTmA2g/s1600/samara_bigger.jpg

I don't know who is on this photo, but it's not JJ.

It's not her hair...:o

Corswandt
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM

@ 51.00 in Bwin (14th on the list up with Julinha and Shanksur). Get it while you still can. :oh:

Kvitty is the current #1 favourite, with odds a third of Wozniacka's. :lol:

Otlichno
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:19 PM
She was playing her best tennis after the US Open Final. Winning three tournaments in a row. :shrug:

She burnt out after that, tanked the YEC and it was all downhill after that.

Maria rocks
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:31 PM
She was playing her best tennis after the US Open Final. Winning three tournaments in a row. :shrug:

She burnt out after that, tanked the YEC and it was all downhill after that.

Its such a shame i do like Jelena. Hopefully there are still great things in tennis ahead for her.

edificio
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:37 PM
She blew her chances at RG and US Open 2008. Should have had 2 in 1 year :o

US Open 2008, no way. She had no chance. There wasn't a moment in the match that I thought she would win.

She's lost her desire to play. Needs a break and a physical recommitment.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Jankovic was good for a couple of years. She was very good at the USO 2006.
2007 was a tough year to win a major because Justine, Serena, Venus won them.
Probably her best chance was that 2008 FO SF, where she was up a break in the 3rd & couldnt close.
Kind of lost it starting in 2009. Had some moments after, but wasnt the same slam threat

Optima
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I don't think she burnt out. :shrug: Her failed experiment with her fitness and body type, along with trying to play a different game sent her down this trail.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:35 PM
That time when she was good, say before USO 2006- after USO 2008, that was a tough time to win a major.
If she was that good now, she would be very tough, especially the last 2 FO's

toxina90
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:54 PM
US Open 2008, no way. She had no chance. There wasn't a moment in the match that I thought she would win.

She's lost her desire to play. Needs a break and a physical recommitment.

Ofcourse she did, she choked in the 2nd set. :shrug:

StoneRose
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:08 PM
The thrill is gone, no motivation left. She has said or at least implied so herself.

debopero
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Ofcourse she did, she choked in the 2nd set. :shrug:

No she didn't. Furthermore, even if she would have won the second set there is absolutely no guarantee she would have won especially with her history in such moments.

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:24 PM
3 first time slam winners in the last 6 majors.
Jankovic peaked 3 years too early. Her 2008 form would make her tough now

shoryuken
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I don't think she burnt out. :shrug: Her failed experiment with her fitness and body type, along with trying to play a different game sent her down this trail.

This is what I think. She bulked up and things went downhill after that.

Safe-From-Harm
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:56 PM
God knows.

She is playing serious mind games with us.
And it isn`t funny anymore.

toxina90
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:05 PM
No she didn't. Furthermore, even if she would have won the second set there is absolutely no guarantee she would have won especially with her history in such moments.

She had a chance to win that 2nd set and blew it. Of course she'd have been bagelled in set 3, obviously :rolleyes:

Daruma.
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:41 PM
She actually had 3(?) set points against Serena in the second set. Yeah, who knows what would happen in the third. But still, no way that loss hurt her. She likes competing against Serena and I'm sure Serena is the last player she would be sad about losing. After that grand slam final she got really really confident and definitely dominated the rest of the year. Once she lost the form that earnt her the #1 ranking, she started to doubt herself and we all know what happends when you doubt yourself and lose your self confidence.

The mediocre results she gets nowadays are tough to handle for a former #1. She needs to either get good wins under her belt before US Open or take a 2-3 months break of tennis to play with more passion and fight.

I really don't know what is next for her, but I still love her regardless of the results she obtains. And that's the most important thing for me as a fan. :inlove:

Slutiana
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:08 PM
@ 51.00 in Bwin (14th on the list up with Julinha and Shanksur). Get it while you still can. :oh:

I'm actually going to put money on her. I said I would do it for Wimbledon but didn't get round to it - clearly that's why she ended up losing.
Well she she seemed to be finally recovering in early 2010 and played some great tennis between IW and the RG SF catastrophe. :shrug:

I think it was the back injury and Wimbledon and then the ankle injury at Portoroz that really hurt her confidence and most contributed to the sorry mess of a tennis player we have now.

But she's having her break now, playing one singles match in pretty much 10 weeks. Probably the longest break she has had in a long, long time. We'll see what happens when she comes back.

MaBaker
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I'm actually going to put money on her.
http://i51.tinypic.com/24312qa.jpg

lang26
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:37 PM
praying JJ win the FO next year are very soon that one slam that so wide open for her to win as well as Safina they're like the only two best clay couter tennis player now that henin gone. JJ need to get back in form she need to start player like her former self back in 06-08 her serve has improve and that one thing that good and she still got the speed it just the backhand not wat it used to be and her forehand :mad:

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I think Safina, if her body heals, will come back, and like Sharapova, will keep working until she's competitive.
Jankovic peaked at a time when every major was extremely tough to win.
She would have been player to beat at this FO in her 2008 form

18majors
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Majors will be tough to win for the next 1-2 years with Serena, Na Li still competitive and Clijsters, Maria and petra will all be peaking.

lang26
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Majors will be tough to win for the next 1-2 years with Serena, Na Li still competitive and Clijsters, Maria and petra will all be peaking.

true that why I said Jj best chance to win a Grand Slam is at the FO. kim soon will be retire and even if kim stay longer kim not good on clay, Serena not that good at on clay even through she have won FO before, Na li can't really see her winning FO again. Maria she had her best result on clay this year don't know if it will continue, Petra the only one i will worry about

goldenlox
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Kim & Serena are getting older. The USO & AO might be more open the next several years. Closer to what the FO is now

Potato
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:39 PM
She doesn't give a shit :shrug:

LCS
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:45 PM

I'd rank Goerges higher than Janko right now, but that's just me :lol:

toxina90
Jul 7th, 2011, 11:33 PM
praying JJ win the FO next year are very soon that one slam that so wide open for her to win as well as Safina they're like the only two best clay couter tennis player now that henin gone. JJ need to get back in form she need to start player like her former self back in 06-08 her serve has improve and that one thing that good and she still got the speed it just the backhand not wat it used to be and her forehand :mad:

Yes it's so strange, I didn't even think her serve was bad recently, just the rest :tape:

Maybe she can build on this, like learning to walk again...:confused:

dsanders06
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Well she she seemed to be finally recovering in early 2010 and played some great tennis between IW and the RG SF catastrophe. :shrug:

She always seems to find some excuse to go into a slump. I seem to remember that in early 2010, she was working with a coach, and it was obviously paying off with her results (Indian Wells win, Rome final)... then she played one bad match in the SFs of RG, and she fired him immediately (iirc). Ridiculous overreaction. And in her match against Schiavone at RG this year, a match in which Jankovic was playing the better tennis imo, whenever she just lost a point she'd be turning around and screaming at her new coach/parents, which sent a message to Schiavone about how tense she was and probably determined the match. It's almost like she's afraid of the big time and so looks for anything to sabotage herself.

She probably should've snuck in a win at RG at some point over the last few years... but I think it's too late for her now. She seems to be a step slower these days, which makes her game much less deadly (especially with the emergence of a better defensive player in Wozniacki). Because of her reduced speed, it seems like she feels she has to go for bigger shots earlier in the rally than she used to, and she just isn't good enough at ballbashing for it to be effective.

Solitaire
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Seems like a classic case of burn out. You can't keep on blaming JJ's bulk up for her slumps.

Graftard
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:31 AM
All grinders burn out at her age.

Linguae^
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Haters still gonna hate.
Jelena please. :sad:

Potato
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:01 AM
She always seems to find some excuse to go into a slump. I seem to remember that in early 2010, she was working with a coach, and it was obviously paying off with her results (Indian Wells win, Rome final)... then she played one bad match in the SFs of RG, and she fired him immediately (iirc). Ridiculous overreaction. And in her match against Schiavone at RG this year, a match in which Jankovic was playing the better tennis imo, whenever she just lost a point she'd be turning around and screaming at her new coach/parents, which sent a message to Schiavone about how tense she was and probably determined the match. It's almost like she's afraid of the big time and so looks for anything to sabotage herself.

She probably should've snuck in a win at RG at some point over the last few years... but I think it's too late for her now. She seems to be a step slower these days, which makes her game much less deadly (especially with the emergence of a better defensive player in Wozniacki). Because of her reduced speed, it seems like she feels she has to go for bigger shots earlier in the rally than she used to, and she just isn't good enough at ballbashing for it to be effective.

This is completely false, Chip Brooks was not planning to stay with Jelena for the whole year as it was a temporary partnership in the first place. JJ asked Brooks if he could coach her for a part of the season and he agreed, but only for a short time. Brooks has his family to take care of back in Florida, he said that he did not want to be committed. Of course, if he was able to permanently stay with JJ maybe she wouldn't have these problems but she definitely did not fire him because of one result.

The mentality is just wrong with JJ right now, almost every match she has lost this year has been a three setter or a very close 2 setter... if she was as mentally tough as she was then she would not be having these problems. Her game is fine, her fitness is great... it's all in the head with JJ.

GAGAlady
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:31 AM
She is a drama queen...she makes so many excuses for her poor efforts...she has the wrong priorities.

At this point her main passions include shopping, makeup..cellphones and fashion shows.

If she wants a grand slam title she better get her priorities straight and learn how to kick ass and not fall to peices due to her own stupidity!

A player with :

a) her talent
b) her amazing athletecism
c) her thinking ability on court...
d) her shot diversaty

she basically should be in the top 5 ...and yet here we are discussing her poor career path...all her own fault.

Maria rocks
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:36 AM
She doesn't give a shit :shrug:

What ever the reasons i am pretty sure that is not one of them.