PDA

View Full Version : Who created TennisForum?

SwingVolley93
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:41 AM
:confused: and how/why was it created? I have always wanted to know and tried to research it through here but could never discover. Sorry if this thread is improperly placed. ;)

Remix13
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:56 AM
TF is probably a creation of Tennis Gods :angel:

Whitehead's Boy
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I might get some details wrong but here's what I remember.

It was created by a Canadian guy named "Poe" for his small clique of friends. The website used to be called Wtaworld. He sold it to Verticalscope at some point.

The day Ashley Harkleroad played her JUNIOR match on Ashe at the US Open 2001, for some reason the official forum of the WTA Tour crashed, and never came back. Then a few days after, when September 11 happened, people from the official forum tried to find another site to talk to each other and check if people were fine. They came here. As month passed, the website grew bigger and bigger and became the replacement for the official WTA tour forum.

So basically this forum exists because the WTA Tour no longer wanted to have an official forum.

dornik
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:20 AM

It was created by a Canadian guy named "Poe" for his small clique of friends. The website used to be called Wtaworld. He sold it to Verticalscope at some point.

The day Ashley Harkleroad played her JUNIOR match on Ashe at the US Open 2001, for some reason the official forum of the WTA Tour crashed, and never came back. Then a few days after, when September 11 happened, people from the official forum tried to find another site to talk to each other and check if people were fine. They came here. As month passed, the website grew bigger and bigger and became the replacement for the official WTA tour forum.

So basically this forum exists because the WTA Tour no longer wanted to have an official forum.

Thanks! :)

And we all should thank WTA Tour for the decision. :lol:

SwingVolley93
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Great Insight :)

bulava
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:02 AM
As month passed, the website grew bigger and bigger and became the replacement for the official WTA tour forum.

This is news to me so I've learned something new today. Thank you :)

moby
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:30 AM

So basically this forum exists because the WTA Tour no longer wanted to have an official forum.This is right, I think. The board started in May 2001, and I chanced upon it one night when I typed in wtaworld.com instead of wtatour.com (by accident; because I was sleepy). Back then the Sanex board was still working, so I didn't see the need to sign up, although I lurked for months. But come September, the Sanex board had crashed and there was notable immigration to this board, so I signed on too. I suspect many of us thought the move here was temporary, but the WTA never fixed the Sanex forum and this one was much better organised anyway.

I'm not sure about the details of the sale. But I knew at some point when the board was about 2 years old, it was closed for weeks and it seemed as though it was never going to be reopened again because of lack of finances/manpower. I remember writing some sappy email telling the administrators that the board had to be reopened. :tape: In my defence, I was not the only one, and I was a teenager, and the board was a classier affair back then.

I remember the board as being fairly Belgian-heavy at the start. Other early posters were carot, Dahveed, Hurricane Lily, gentenaire (who still posts). I also remember The Leopard and Big Fat Pink Elephant / Marri.

Renalicious
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:53 AM
:worship: :worship: What a rich history.

Kworb
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM
TF really needs a technical administrator. In all my time here I can't remember ever seeing a software update or a new feature. For a forum this size it looks and feels really poor.

Barrie_Dude
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:37 PM
O, I have fond memories of the folks that used to be here. What a crazy family we were

Rocketta
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Oh those were the days! :hearts:

This site use to be a home away from home and people made life-long friends here. The climate severely changed after the sale but I understand it. It was a lot of work and money for a crowd, probably due to age, who would act very ungracious at times.

Ohh, I also believe Wta_Amanda was one of the founders if I remember correctly. Also, before the sale they used to update the software a lot but not now.

Also, from what I remember this board started out for Mauresmo fans initially and thankfully, they turned out to be a really wonderful mature group of people because they welcomed everyone else when the sanex board collapsed.

Anyway, Shoutout to all the originals! :hatoff:

Rocketta
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Oh and this site was then and forever more WTAWOLRD.com!

I want to get a shirt with that logo soooooooo bad and wear it to the USOpen. :yeah:

Oh and one last thing, I remember that shutdown and how everyone was going crazy logging into to other boards looking for other Wtaworld people. People who you fought with everyday on here were your best friend when you could find them on other sites... The site came back because people volunteered to give donations to help pay the costs of the maintenance of this site and some other things.

Certinfy
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:47 PM
So I assume from the idea of this forum MTF was created?

Rocketta
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:54 PM
:confused:

not sure if you are asking if MTF was formed because of Wtaworld or vice versa?

Shonami Slam
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:57 PM
great thread.

Certinfy
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:05 PM

not sure if you are asking if MTF was formed because of Wtaworld or vice versa?

Yeah I'm asking if MTF was created because of this website...

ptkten
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I can't believe it's been that long. I was one of the people who transferred over from the original board in 2001 when that site crashed and was just happy there was another forum to go to. I kind of wish we could still see the posts from the WTA board pre-2001, that would be interesting to see.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:17 PM

MTF used to have a sub section on this board
then it got its own domain www.atpworld.com (http://www.atpworld.com)
then ATP got mad and threatened to close down that site, think the site was off net for a long time before it changed name to MTF.

same happened here but it was years and years later.

moby
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Yeah I'm asking if MTF was created because of this website...MTF is and was a useless spinoff.

Copy is never as good as the original.

The original is not as good as the original was. :sobbing:

Morning Morgan
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I still remember my first and only thread on the original Sanex board: Is Martina Hingis a walking tournament? (They had quality points back then, and Martina was losing quite often and her victors got 200 points for beating her.)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Oh and this site was then and forever more WTAWOLRD.com!

I want to get a shirt with that logo soooooooo bad and wear it to the USOpen. :yeah:

Oh and one last thing, I remember that shutdown and how everyone was going crazy logging into to other boards looking for other Wtaworld people. People who you fought with everyday on here were your best friend when you could find them on other sites... The site came back because people volunteered to give donations to help pay the costs of the maintenance of this site and some other things.

Wow, i had no idea :eek: . And yeah, WTA World forever :hearts:. Maybe we should get a fund together to make up a batch of " WTA World Forever " T-Shirts :lol::p

Ryan
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:18 AM
WTAWorld :drool: I missed the old Sanex boards by a bit, but I've been around for awhile I guess. It's funny how this part has become such a part of my daily routine - wake up, check sport scores, go to work, come home, check here before going out. It's still a lot of fun. I'd love to see a timeline of this board based on Trolls and when they were banned. :lol:

Mistress of Evil
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:33 AM
WTAWorld :drool: I missed the old Sanex boards by a bit, but I've been around for awhile I guess. It's funny how this part has become such a part of my daily routine - wake up, check sport scores, go to work, come home, check here before going out. It's still a lot of fun. I'd love to see a timeline of this board based on Trolls and when they were banned. :lol:

you are a mod, do something about it :wavey: as far as I know, on MTF there is a thread, listing all the banned posters and the reason for which they were banned.

Elisse
Jul 8th, 2011, 03:36 PM

Exactly!! :worship:

Sanex Board :lol: -> WTAworld :hearts: -> TennisForum :help:

:lol:

Albireo
Jul 8th, 2011, 05:25 PM
The Illuminati.

veryborednow
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Wasn't the Sanex forum run by one lady? I remember trying to register on the site and having a long running email conversation with the woman because she couldn't work out why I wasn't able register. I had to sit on the sidelines and lurk until wtaworld.com was created and was able to put all my creative efforts into battling with Williams' fans.

Barrie_Dude
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Well, that woman was Griffin as I recall and she is here

Rocketta
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Wow, i had no idea :eek: . And yeah, WTA World forever :hearts:. Maybe we should get a fund together to make up a batch of " WTA World Forever " T-Shirts :lol::p

I am sooooo down for that! Maybe during my long unemployment/furlough this year I'll look into that! :yeah:

fantic
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:09 PM

:hysteric:

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Well, that woman was Griffin as I recall and she is here

Anne Bonney was/is Griffin :lol:

NoppaNoppa
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Oh oh.

NoppaNoppa
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Where is TBE anyways?

veryborednow
Jul 8th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Anne Bonney was/is Griffin :lol:
Ha. In all the times I've chatted with her, I never knew that. This thread is informative.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Ha. In all the times I've chatted with her, I never knew that. This thread is informative.

i was joking :lol:
unless it is true :oh:

Whitehead's Boy
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Anne Bonney WAS griffin. She said it herself here.

Also Volcana was ShadowJack.

tenn_ace
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:25 PM
let's not be dellusional. wta still controls this website. entry lists is the best example.

tenn_ace
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:28 PM
by the way, I still have an email from a lovely poster ( :hearts: you know who you are) letting me know that the bunch moved over from wtaworld to here... I remember I was OVERJOYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Certinfy
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Print screen for us to see? :p

Philip
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I remember signing up just before the Sanex site went (I was ILT over there).

I thought at the time I wouldnt use WTAWorld that much... how I was wrong!!

I didn't know about the sale though - very interesting.

The best thing about the old Sanex board was the digi chat. Something this site is really missing.

Philip
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:42 PM
And I've also just realised I've almost been a member here 10 years. Thats crazy...

Philip
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Anyone here ever play TTT? :lol:

hurricanejeanne
Jul 9th, 2011, 10:52 PM

I want a t-shirt! :hearts:

It was a sad day when WTAWorld (which is how it's still referred to as in my favorites) had to change it's name.

I also remember the summer 2006's Entry List Gate when we got in trouble. :p That's why TBE now has to do the guessing game with the entry lists instead of posting them out right.

Rocketta
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:24 AM

TTT?

I only play tennis Poker. :rocker2:

ArturoAce.
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I am sooooo down for that! Maybe during my long unemployment/furlough this year I'll look into that! :yeah:

LOVE THE IDEA! That would be a great way to spot each other at grand slams and other tourneys! :D ...although I don't want to see you get sued for using "WTA WORLD" in the phrase. :o

This is such an interesting thread. It kind of makes me feel bad, for what rubbish it has become-community wise. :p

Rocketta
Jul 10th, 2011, 07:39 AM
LOVE THE IDEA! That would be a great way to spot each other at grand slams and other tourneys! :D ...although I don't want to see you get sued for using "WTA WORLD" in the phrase. :o

This is such an interesting thread. It kind of makes me feel bad, for what rubbish it has become-community wise. :p

I guess as long as I don't put .com on it then it could mean anything. ;)

Oh and I miss how non-tennis was a community within itself.... :sad: Non-tennis use to RAWWWWK and now..... :sobbing:

Morning Morgan
Jul 10th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Anyone played ETA which was run by Tennisace? It was one of the hottest games around 2002.

Ryan
Jul 10th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Anyone played ETA which was run by Tennisace? It was one of the hottest games around 2002.

I did. Fuckin loved that game. :cool:

Haimar
Jul 10th, 2011, 02:58 PM

TTT & GLT were fun games! Why isn't there such kind of quiz game anymore?