PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that Kvitova is really taking power tennis to the next level?

debopero
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Tracy Austin remarked that Kvitova was taking the ball-striking in women's tennis to the next level during the women's final.

With that thought in mind, I watched the final again with my eyes peeled for some revolutionary shots.

Thoughts?

tennisbum79
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:50 AM
No

Steven.
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:53 AM
In the middle of the first set, they showed that the average speed of Sharapova's ground-strokes were 68mph or so, while Kvitova's was in the high 70s. :help: As soon as I saw that, hope started fading away pretty rapidly.

Then again, I'm not good at estimating speed, so maybe it was a one off thing, or maybe Sharapova just didn't get a chance to do anything. :shrug:

justineheninfan
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Hardly. The Williams at their peck, heck even not at their peak, did it better, particularly when factoring in the serve.

Solitaire
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:07 AM
She doesn't seem to hit harder than the other big hitters. I think people like Tracey see Maria as the biggest hitter and when someone out plays her it must be because they hit harder.

tennisbum79
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Here is the previous level Tracy is talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUm-fr4jC78&feature=related

iPatty
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:38 AM

:lol:

I don't think she's doing anything revolutionary. There hasn't really been an elite lefty since Seles (and does she really count?) so maybe that makes it seem like she's hitting the ball a little bit differently than everybody else. I guess because I was a Schnyder fan, it's weird to see a lefty that absolutely pounds the ball hard and flat since Patty did absolutely none of that. Both styles are pleasing to the eye though.

serenaforever
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:39 AM
I dont think she's quite that impressive. :shrug:

Some seem to disagree though.

Solitaire
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:41 AM
There hasn't really been an elite lefty since Seles (and does she really count?)

Why would a 9 time GS champ not count?:confused:

TimeyWimey
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:44 AM
i would say no
but isn't it exciting if we can witness her improvement in the future? she's only 21 and think about how much she has improved in the previous months, we may witness something really big here

iPatty
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Why would a 9 time GS champ not count?:confused:

I mean does she really count as a lefty? Obviously she counts as an elite player. I tend to put Seles in a category of her own due to her double-handedness.

Craig.
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:50 AM
She doesn't seem to hit harder than the other big hitters. I think people like Tracey see Maria as the biggest hitter and when someone out plays her it must be because they hit harder.

Maria doesn't even hit that hard. Her groundstrokes were always more about laserlike precision and accuracy than raw power.

Solitaire
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:57 AM
I mean does she really count as a lefty? Obviously she counts as an elite player. I tend to put Seles in a category of her own due to her double-handedness.

I would def count her as a lefty. One of the major advantages of being a lefty is the serve.

Maria doesn't even hit that hard. Her groundstrokes were always more about laserlike precision and accuracy than raw power.

It sure looks like she does. Must be all that screaming that's got me all confused.:p

Potato
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I would def count her as a lefty. One of the major advantages of being a lefty is the serve.

Definitely. Seles did have the advantage of the lefty serve as Kvitova also has right now, but I also agree with the poster you quoted because Seles obviously did not have the free swinging forehand that gives Kvitova more power with less effort. Seles did not have the groundstrokes of your typical lefty per say.

On topic though, uhhhh, peak WS revolutionized power tennis... Kvitova however is capable of getting close to that level of tennis. I think she needs to work on fitness and getting more variety and consistency of the serve.

Excelscior
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:59 AM

That's the Beauty Petra has, easy power. She doesn't swing hard, grunt or take wild swings, but she'll still pound her ground strokes 10-13mph more than your favorite ball basher during a match, and be able to hit a frozen rope winner from anywhere on or off the court from either wing in a blink.

Mary Joe Fernandez said "she hits the ball harder than anyone I've ever seen". Lindsay Davenport said " Stunning. I can see why people compare her to me, she's one of the best ball strikers I've ever seen". And she did have the highest ground stroke mph avg throughout the entire Wimby tournament according to their statistics. Need I say more?

To be quite honest, I haven't seen anyone be able to hit winners like she does from anywhere on the court from either wing. So from that perspective I can see her ushering in a new form of power tennis (at least in Tracy's mind) along with her aggression, net play, slice backhand, tricky serves and drop shots.

As a matter of fact I and many people who became Kvitova fans, became fans cause we've never seen people do what she does on the tennis court as consistently as she does, and that's hit winners from any position from anywhere on the court. She has great power, technique and execution. That should be clear to see, and one of the things that separates her from the Masha's and everyone else on tour.

But who care's what Tracy Austin thinks anyway?

Potato
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:03 AM
That's the Beauty Petra has, easy power. She doesn't swing hard, grunt or take wild swings, but she'll still pound her ground strokes 10-13mph more than your favorite ball basher during a match, and be able to hit a frozen rope winner from anywhere on or off the court from either wing in a blink.

Mary Joe Fernandez said "she hits the ball harder than anyone I've ever seen". Lindsay Davenport said " Stunning. I can see why people compare her to me, she's one of the best ball strikers I've ever seen". And she did have the highest ground stroke mph avg throughout the entire Wimby tournament according to their statistics. Need I say more?

I haven't seen anyone be able to hit winners like she does from anywhere on the court from either wing. So from that perspective I can see her ushering in a new form of power tennis (at least in Tracy's mind) along with her aggressive, net play and slice, drop shots.

I feel though Davenport, WS, and even Henin did that. All of them were 100% aggressive minded and came to the net when the opportunity arose. I feel that Petra's feel shots (droppers, slice) are still mediocre but her ballstriking is spectacular... even so, nothing new other than she is a lefty

Dominic
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:41 AM

Disagree, when she decides to slap it, she does it as good as anyone, in some her not so good quality vids on youtube, I someimes can't even see the ball go by.

GAGAlady
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:42 AM

To be quite honest, I haven't seen anyone be able to hit winners like she does from anywhere on the court from either wing. So from that perspective I can see her ushering in a new form of power tennis (at least in Tracy's mind) along with her aggression, net play, slice backhand, tricky serves and drop shots.

As a matter of fact I and many people who became Kvitova fans, became fans cause we've never seen people do what she does on the tennis court as consistently as she does, and that's hit winners from any position from anywhere on the court. She has great power, technique and execution. That should be clear to see, and one of the things that separates her from the Masha's and everyone else on tour.

I agree with this post completely. If lindsay davenport makes a statement like that its not for no good reason. Kvitova is very very good at hitting big and doing it naturally. Its not a big deal for her and thats why shes so good.

Id say she hits the ball as hard as the Williams now. Peak or no Peak Kvitovas game is impressive and people who say she doesnt hold a candle to a Williams...well i dissagree:o

bobcat
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:58 AM
The thing is Kvitova's most likely going to pull back a little and incorporate more topspin in order to cut back on the UEs. She has so much natural power it's not necessary for her to go for such a high risk game.

cowmoonski
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:00 AM
As a Williams sisters fan I hate to say this, but I think that the closest thing that we got to the future of the WTA was Justine in 2007 -- the movement, the variety, the skill, the consistency, the strength, and the power.

I will say that I think that all of the girls on the WTA have taken their mental games to the next level.

starin
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:03 AM
To be quite honest, I haven't seen anyone be able to hit winners like she does from anywhere on the court from either wing.

you must have just started to watch tennis. cuz this is just no. this is not 1999, we've had a whole decade of big hitters who could do just that. If anything Kvitova is a throwback to the 2000's. The level of tennis as whole has dropped precipitously since then and Kvitova is just raising the bar back to where it was except minus the athleticism of the WS and Belgians.

As a Williams sisters fan I hate to say this, but I think that the closest thing that we got to the future of the WTA was Justine in 2007 -- the movement, the variety, the skill, the consistency, the strength, and the power.

I will say that I think that all of the girls on the WTA have taken their mental games to the next level.

:vomit: this is actually true. Justine '07 was the closest to raising the bar set by Serena in 2002.

Apoleb
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Bar Shock&Awe Serena, she might prove to be the greatest first striker ever.

As I mentioned in another thread, we've seen lots of big hitters over the years but none of them hit a full swing from almost anywhere on the court and as consistently as she does. It's because usually these shots are unmakable by mortal humans, but the quality of her striking is just something else.

bandabou
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:40 AM
She might well be..if you compare her to the other members of generation suck ( Woz, Aza, Radwanska)..all of them unable to hit through anybody. That said..heck, even ' 07 Serena at the Oz open was more impressive, no?! :shrug:

AcesHigh
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:45 AM
The Kvitova hype :sobbing:

Pops Maellard
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:47 AM
OMG :facepalm:. She's being about as consistent as a ballbasher can possibly be, but it's still basically what she's doing. What she's doing is absolutely nothing new, she's just doing it really well right now. :shrug:

young_gunner913
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:50 AM
The Kvitova hype :sobbing:

Yep.... :lol: But she just won a slam and we have a bunch of down time till the USO series starts so... :rolleyes:

Navratil
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:55 AM
Yes! She already did. Just needs to find more consistency and she'll be hard to beat on any surface.

That's what the WTA tour needs right now! A super star! A top player that is unstoppable!

Marlene
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:19 AM

Wouldn't a right-handed player have the same kind of advantage against a lefty, just from the opposite position?!

Solitaire
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Wouldn't a right-handed player have the same kind of advantage against a lefty, just from the opposite position?!

I wasn't talking about righties.:confused: Seeing as there are far more righties on the tour than lefties the lefty would be use to returning a righties serve more than the other way around.

L'Enfant Sauvage
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Not necessarily, but she's doing pretty well with it.

selestribe
Jul 7th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I already heard that from commentators during the 2005 Wimbledon semifinals between Venus & Maria ... and 6 years later, where is the next level?
Kvitova is really good and plays with almost no fear, that's way enough these days to win big titles and to look promising.

Slutiana
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Hardly.

But as I've said in previous thread, when on, she's probably the most consistently powerful hitter the game has seen. From the first round to the final, her average speed on the groundies were always between 77-80, which is INSANE.

To put it in perspective, Maria, one of the bigger hitters on the tour (but obviously her power is overrated as precision and depth is what she does best), averaged 10mph less. Both Djokovic and was generally around 72mph while Rafa is usually below 70. PEEKPotro at the 2009 YEC averaged 77.4, while Soderling averaged 86mph when he was just tee-ing off again and again vs Federer at the FO last year - a mere 6mph higher than Petra.

But that doesn't mean that she's taking it to the next level. As someone recently said, after the last generation saw the likes of Serena, Venus, Kim, Justine, Amelie, Jennifer etc. at the top, I assumed they would usher in a new era which saw great shotmaking combined with incredible athleticism. Sadly, no player like that is even on the horizon.

As I mentioned in another thread, we've seen lots of big hitters over the years but none of them hit a full bloodied swing from almost anywhere on the court and as consistently as she does. It's because usually these shots are unmakable by mortal humans, but the quality of her striking is just something else.
Yup.

Kworb
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:13 AM

Much more entertaining than this year's Wimbledon final, that's for sure!

currie84
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:16 AM
^you've lost it lately,so bitter.they don't even bend their knees while serving on this video.unbelievable.

Corswandt
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:45 AM

That looks like Radwanska playing against herself.

Corswandt
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
On topic, Kvitova is indeed a very big hitter - and her shots look even more powerful than they are because of how effortlessly she generates pace due to her excellent natural timing, to how early she takes the ball and how flat she hits it most of the time.

Most of the bashers in today's WTA by contrast generate pace mostly through use of upper body heft/strength.

cellophane
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:02 PM

As I mentioned in another thread, we've seen lots of big hitters over the years but none of them hit a full bloodied swing from almost anywhere on the court and as consistently as she does. It's because usually these shots are unmakable by mortal humans, but the quality of her striking is just something else.

:facepalm:

When will you go away :rolleyes:

homogenius
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM
no

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:17 PM
No, Pierce was more powerful :lol: Nowadays there are plenty of players more powerful than her: Serena, Sam, Venus, Mirjana... But she's probably the best ball striker of the tour.

Olórin
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:19 PM
If she hits in the 77-80mph groundstroke in every other tournament as well as in Wimbledon she is surely one of the hardest hitters ever, without question.

In Serena's first round match it said her average groundstroke speed was 69mph. So in her peak she probably hit well into the 70's. But other than the WS and Mary Pierce it's difficult to think of women who hit that hard consistently, at their best (proviso clearly necessary).

This alone is interesting, even before you start to analyse her actual game.

Excelscior
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:29 PM
If she hits in the 77-80mph groundstroke in every other tournament as well as in Wimbledon she is surely one of the hardest hitters ever, without question.

In Serena's first round match it said her average groundstroke speed was 69mph. So in her peak she probably hit well into the 70's. But other than the WS and Mary Pierce it's difficult to think of women who hit that hard consistently, at their best (proviso clearly necessary).

To answer your question, during the ESPN Women's Final broadcast, they compiled avg groundstroke mph statistics for THE ENTIRE WIMBLEDON Tournament, not just isolated games or moments, and Kvitova's avg for the entire tournament was the highest at 75-77mph, while Serena and Venus were averaging 68-69 mph.

Mary Joe Fernandez also mentioned that Petra hit a 93mph forehand 2nd service return in the second set (tied 2-2 at deuce).

When you think about it, Petra doesn't really play like anyone currently (especially out of the young girls), so maybe Tracy meant from what we have now (as opposed to of all time)?

To the original poster, I don't really think it's that big of a deal or complicated. She's a TV person, that's her job!! She talks for a living.

Olórin
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:38 PM
To answer your question, during the ESPN Women's Final broadcast, they compiled avg groundstroke mph statistics for THE ENTIRE WIMBLEDON Tournament, not just isolated games or moments, and Kvitova's avg for the entire tournament was the highest at 75-77mph, while Serena and Venus were averaging 68-69 mph.

I did not ask you or anyone else a question.

The entire point of my post was that Petra's average groundstroke speed was is in this range for Wimbledon, that is quite obvious when you read my post. The BBC have been compiling the stats match by match and I have been taking note of them. I was referring to whether she hits this hard else where, Im not aware of any stats currently available.

The Witch-king
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM
i think she on drugs

Corswandt
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:52 PM
i think she's on drugs

She was. Painkillers.

denny5576
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:56 PM
No. Her shots are not so powerful as some had stated.

Excelscior
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM

Why wouldn't it be (hit this way in other tournaments)? And why is this/would be so important one way or the other?

Just curious?

denny5576
Jul 7th, 2011, 01:38 PM
average speed of the shots per match or tournament does not say or prove who is more powerful. The average depends very much on tactics. If average service speed of Serena is 105 mph it does not mean she cannot serve at 125 mph

18majors
Jul 7th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Yes.

Excelscior
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:00 PM
average speed of the shots per match or tournament does not say or prove who is more powerful. The average depends very much on tactics. If average service speed of Serena is 105 mph it does not mean she cannot serve at 125 mph

That is true (and I did point out that Petra hit a 93mph return in the finals). But at the same time, something can be said for consistency.

For example, Sabine Lisicki served at 124 mph, but that doesn't mean anything. Why, cause look at how poor her serving was against Sharapova, and how weak her second serve is overall (in the 70's to low 80's generally). Not good!

Meanwhile, if another server (let's say) Kvitova can consistently serve 105-118mph on their first serve, and keep their second serve between 85-100mph, that would make them much more successful (along with hitting her spots and movement) than Lisicki's inconsistent peak speed readings and very poor second serve.

So instead of trying to hit 120mph, someone like Petra (and others like her) would serve at a comfortable but effective speed, that they could do all game, and all year, giving them consistent but excellent results entirely within themselves.

So we have to be careful sometimes with falling in love with peak statistics/speeds as well.

denny5576
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:47 PM
So we have to be careful sometimes with falling in love with peak statistics/speeds as well.
That's correct

azinna
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Next level?
Tennis is still waiting on a player to match Venus of '00-01, Serena of '02-03, or Justine of '07.
Meanwhile, Kvitova reminds me of a calm, playing-within-herself Mary Pierce, but from the left. I'll be looking for her to improve her serve and mobility, among other things.

18majors
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Petra will exceed Serena and Venus in power.

Ferg
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:54 PM
To put it in perspective, Maria, one of the bigger hitters on the tour (but obviously her power is overrated as precision and depth is what she does best), averaged 10mph less. Both Djokovic and was generally around 72mph while Rafa is usually below 70. PEEKPotro at the 2009 YEC averaged 77.4, while Soderling averaged 86mph when he was just tee-ing off again and again vs Federer at the FO last year - a mere 6mph higher than Petra.

jesus christ :sobbing: Hitting it almost as hard as peak sod :eek:

Novichok
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:58 PM

I think she already has. Athleticism on the other hand...

azinna
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:02 PM

I actually think Pierce already did. Or could in any given shot but the serve.

Apoleb
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Mary Pierce got owned by a 16 year old Hingis at the final of a slam. Somehow I doubt that would happen to Petra. :lol:

TheHangover
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:17 PM
no i think lindsay davenport was more powerful and more precise at the same time, serena is/was more powerful too. petra has some advantages, for example being a lefty

Sammo
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Mary Pierce got owned by a 16 year old Hingis at the final of a slam. Somehow I doubt that would happen to Petra. :lol:

Agree, Mary was more explosive and explosive players were Hingis's victims :drool: On the other hand she had it tougher with powerful good ball strikers like Davenport, and Kvitova plays very similar to her.

spartanfan
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Prior to the Wimy Finals I had never really seen Kvitova play a match before. She looked way more impressive than Sharapova on her groundstrokes. Some of Kvitova's ground strokes were definitly Serena-esq. I was really amazed at how powerful some of her shots were, leaving Sharapova either flatfooted or just in the dust. She didn't rip every ground stroke with all out power, but she did it often enough to impose her will on Sharapova. Only time will tell if she can keep up with that kind of consistency. If she can, then everybody else needs to watch out.

Olórin
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Why wouldn't it be (hit this way in other tournaments)? And why is this/would be so important one way or the other?

Just curious?

I think the speed of her shots is quite important given this a thread about power tennis.

And I think she probably does hit this hard in a lot of tournaments. But it's difficult to actually quantify it though.

azinna
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:46 PM

Agree, Mary was more explosive and explosive players were Hingis's victims :drool: On the other hand she had it tougher with powerful good ball strikers like Davenport, and Kvitova plays very similar to her.

I recall '97 Hingis owning most every top player. Lindsay lost to Hingis 6-2, 6-4 at the US Open semis that same year.

Once things "clicked" for the young Hingis in '96 it took all the big babes another 2 years to figure out how to regain and keep the upper hand against her. I seriously doubt that wouldn't have happened with Kvitova.

I actually like Kvitova's game. And I want her to improve further. But till then, her power game simply isn't a league above an in-form Pierce's or Davenport's. (let's just leave Venus, Serena and Justine out of this).

tennisbum79
Jul 7th, 2011, 05:14 PM

The same praise were showered on Stosur when she went to RG final, her server, and forehand, her backhand were all hit harder than anyone else, and nobody could match her.
Stosur herself started believing the hype and started talking herself up.

But she has not been able to repeat the same performance.

Back to Kvitova, yes she did play well in tournament, but she is not a big hitter. She does have easy strokes, effortless way to change the direction of the ball with rare effectiveness.
But we have to wait and see if she can consistently do this.

Rezai had her limelight ta RG, she never followed that performance with anything close to it.

The players who are called "big hitters" have proven it over several years that they can play that way tournaments after tournaments

homogenius
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Tracey Austin = Whore of Babylon

:spit:

brickhousesupporter
Jul 7th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I don't think she is athletic enough to raise the game to the next level.

edificio
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:34 PM
People need to stop overselling Petra's game and let her develop as a player.

Simplicity.
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:45 PM

She was also hitting 10mph faster than Azarenka in the SF.

BluSthil
Jul 7th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Kivitova has the potential to bring a ferocious serve to the court. She has height, very good movement, and long arms. If her team does their job (gym work) and she is agreeable to hard work and dedication, she could very well take the power serve to the next level.

Solitaire
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:09 PM
She was also hitting 10mph faster than Azarenka in the SF.

;)

Tennisstar86
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:33 AM
ummmm, no Lindsay Davenport hit just as hard as her and was just as slow. She has nice timing and ball striking, but shes still slow. I put her with Davenport as oppossed to the WS...... Maria never struck the ball quite as hard as them.

I mean if Davenport had even a quarter of the speed of say Serena She'd probably have dominated the tour. but she like Kvitova are really slow. (even after the weight loss. In fact I thought she got slower.....I never understood that)

Speaking of Davenport.....Is there any word on the pregnancy issues? or is it just she found out she was pregnant and isnt playing becasue of it......Can Brian Lynch not keep it in his pants?

Sean.
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:51 AM
The thing with Kvitova is that her timing is so good she's often able to play an aggressive shot regardless of the ball her opponent is giving her. Her opponent hitting the ball hard doesn't phase her in the slightest she'll tie off on it anyway so it's it's hard to get the upper hand in a rally. Add to that she goes for everything, her average ground stoke speed is quite a bit higher than anyone else's (if you make allowances for the slices) which just makes her unplayable at times.

^ Just read the thread and realised that everything's already been said.

Sean.
Jul 8th, 2011, 12:59 AM
So instead of trying to hit 120mph, someone like Petra (and others like her) would serve at a comfortable but effective speed, that they could do all game, and all year, giving them consistent but excellent results entirely within themselves.

That's exactly the point, the speed/power levels Petra is comfortable at is ridiculously high!

Excelscior
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:24 AM
ummmm, no Lindsay Davenport hit just as hard as her and was just as slow. She has nice timing and ball striking, but shes still slow. I put her with Davenport as oppossed to the WS...... Maria never struck the ball quite as hard as them.

I mean if Davenport had even a quarter of the speed of say Serena She'd probably have dominated the tour. but she like Kvitova are really slow. (even after the weight loss. In fact I thought she got slower.....I never understood that)

Speaking of Davenport.....Is there any word on the pregnancy issues? or is it just she found out she was pregnant and isnt playing becasue of it......Can Brian Lynch not keep it in his pants?

Kvitova is not slow.

I don't know what games you watch. But I and every analyst I see now calls her speed/court coverage average-to good. Many even saying she's graceful and coordinated for her size (especially when she volleys effectively). Nick Bolliteri recently went further than that the other day, saying "she likes to run all day on the court". But she's certainly not slow. She also has great reach, excellent hand/eye coordination and can hit winners on the run, from very odd angles and hitting positions (something Davenport and many current ladies on the tour can't do).

She's certainly more athletic and graceful than you think. And her defense is much better than some people think, as well (remember all those balls hit off the court she ran down and returned against Azarenka and Sharapova, to keep the rally in play or for out right winners)?

But she's definitely not as slow as Davenport. So let's just stop with that. Davenport was slow period! Of course we're all entitled to our opinions and what we feel we see.

Kunal
Jul 8th, 2011, 02:30 AM
shes not taking it to the next level, but she is certainly giving it some much needed boost.

justineheninfan
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I recall '07 Hingis owning most every top player. Lindsay lost to Hingis 6-2, 6-4 at the US Open semis that same year.

Once things "clicked" for the young Hingis in '96 it took all the big babes another 2 years to figure out how to regain and keep the upper hand against her. I seriously doubt that wouldn't have happened with Kvitova.

I actually like Kvitova's game. And I want her to improve further. But till then, her power game simply isn't a league above an in-form Pierce's or Davenport's. (let's just leave Venus, Serena and Justine out of this).

Regardless which hits harder Kvitova is much better than Pierce IMO and will easily surpass her career. Pierce was mentally incredibly weak, massively inconsistent, and moved and hit on the run like a dead buttefly except for the rare 20% of the time she was actually working with someone like Bolleteiri and FIT. She was an incredibly explosive hitter and wonderfully clean and sound ballstriker when in position, but that was it.

debopero
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Kivitova has the potential to bring a ferocious serve to the court. She has height, very good movement, and long arms. If her team does their job (gym work) and she is agreeable to hard work and dedication, she could very well take the power serve to the next level.

Kvitova

http://www.wtatennis.com/player/petra-kvitova_2257889_13403

JCTennisFan
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:06 AM
she isnt taking it to the next level.... she is just re-establishing the level the WS, Davy, Cap, and Kim set in the early 00s.

bandabou
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:53 AM
she isnt taking it to the next level.... she is just re-establishing the level the WS, Davy, Cap, and Kim set in the early 00s.

Exactly...because the generation suck mostly consists of 'pushers' or let's say players who are unable to hit through ANY decent opponent( Woz, Azarenka, Radwanska, a player like Kvitova stands out even more as amazing. People then are quick to forgot that not even as long as 4/5 years ago, Kvitova would've been just one more of the bunch.

Apoleb
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Regardless which hits harder Kvitova is much better than Pierce IMO and will easily surpass her career. Pierce was mentally incredibly weak, massively inconsistent, and moved and hit on the run like a dead buttefly except for the rare 20% of the time she was actually working with someone like Bolleteiri and FIT. She was an incredibly explosive hitter and wonderfully clean and sound ballstriker when in position, but that was it.

I agree. I think Kvitova is a league ahead, because of how she hits when she's way behind the baseline and from unconventional hitting positions on the court (and on the run...etc), and better technique bla bla.

Oh well. The doubters will see the troof with time. :p

spencercarlos
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Playing in today´s era that is easily achieveable IMO.

If she is better than Pierce or not, that is debatible. Mary at her best was almost invincible.

Don´t forget that Pierce had to deal with Graf, Seles, Davenport, Williamses, Arantxa, and etc etc second row of players that were very good as well at the time.

But wait, you won´t take this topic because does not fit your theory.

Add Pierce to your hate list. Hingis-Capriati :lol:

spencercarlos
Jul 8th, 2011, 07:16 AM
About Kvitova taking the power game to another level, it remains to be seen. If she starts to win slams consistently and players like Serena, Clijsters and Venus find no answers to that, then we could say that.

Really beating Sharapova is not really that impressive these days. More impressive that she won Wimbledon but not her win over Sharapova IMO.

Excelscior
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM

Good Points. I've thought the same thing/s.

But the beauty is her serve is incredible effective now, serving within herself (as Sean so eloquently pointed out earlier in this thread), as she currently has the second highest serve hold percentage on the WTA tour, at almost 80% (knock on wood).

Yeah. Let's see what the future holds?

JCTennisFan
Jul 8th, 2011, 06:50 PM
One glaring thing which sadly needs to be mentioned though imo is her potential long term fitness. Look at her at the US open 09, which was her breakout slam. She was quite overweight, and thusly moved like a cow. The only thing that has made her as good as she is now is that her fitness improved so much. Just like Pierce, Davy, or Seles though, one could say she might not keep this level of fit up long term. If she doesnt she will slide to a slow power hitter, something that wont win GS alone.

vixter
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM
jesus christ :sobbing: Hitting it almost as hard as peak sod :eek:

But Soderling hits a lot more topspin than Kvitova too so he is still a lot hitting harder
But yeah Petra hitting almost as fast because hers is so flat!
Petra hits such a huge ball, but Soderling of course still much stronger and hits harder.

NoppaNoppa
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Umm. What power? She is like weaker version of Davenport.

vixter
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Umm. What power? She is like weaker version of Davenport.

Eh, no.

NoppaNoppa
Jul 8th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Eh, no.

Ok then. Mildly better then?

StephenUK
Jul 8th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I don't know how some people on this board can say that she is not a great power hitter, when she is hitting 10mph faster than the other women and faster than Nadal or Djokovic!

She won Wimbledon because she was the best player, round by round, I saw some of her earlier matches and she was stunning in each of them. The fact is that a year ago she was just 62 in the world and has only really become a top player this year. Her improvement is amazing, and she was so composed to win that Wimbledon final so easily, when she could well have choked in that second set.

I think she can certainly take power tennis to the next level, because good as her tennis is, she is STILL improving. You can't really compare her to peak Davenport, Pierce or Serena because she is just starting out as a top player. One wonders how great she can become over the next few years; if she continues to improve at current rates, she will become totally awesome.

vixter
Jul 8th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I don't know how some people on this board can say that she is not a great power hitter, when she is hitting 10mph faster than the other women and faster than Nadal or Djokovic!

She won Wimbledon because she was the best player, round by round, I saw some of her earlier matches and she was stunning in each of them. The fact is that a year ago she was just 62 in the world and has only really become a top player this year. Her improvement is amazing, and she was so composed to win that Wimbledon final so easily, when she could well have choked in that second set.

I think she can certainly take power tennis to the next level, because good as her tennis is, she is STILL improving. You can't really compare her to peak Davenport, Pierce or Serena because she is just starting out as a top player. One wonders how great she can become over the next few years; if she continues to improve at current rates, she will become totally awesome.

I am very impressed by her too. She can probably not improve at current rates. After a period of improvement comes most likely a plateau. But if she can stabilize what she already has and stay injury free she can be such a force I think.

JCTennisFan
Jul 8th, 2011, 09:52 PM

... Or she will let her fitness slide and have a career plagued with injuries/weight issues... will be interesting to see how her career turns out.

NoppaNoppa
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:11 PM
You can't really compare her to peak Davenport, Pierce or Serena because she is just starting out as a top player...

I can! She is now like peak Davenport. That is good, but she has nothing to offer. When we play US open or better, Aussie Open! One hit wonder.

ArcticMoose
Jul 8th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I can! She is now like peak Davenport. That is good, but she has nothing to offer. When we play US open or better, Aussie Open! One hit wonder.

?? Her Power in her serve & ground strokes in 2011 is > than in 2010 (check stats) - so she is not at her peak - all indications are that 2012 will show a similar upward trajectory

she has nothing to offer :o = Have you not heard Nick Bollettieri's (Lisicki's coach at the Bollettieri Academy) own asessement of Kvitova's game & abilities - Dr. Lisicki should be very worried indeed :lol:

JCTennisFan
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:18 PM
?? Her Power in her serve & ground strokes in 2011 is > than in 2010 (check stats) - so she is not at her peak - all indications are that 2012 will show a similar upward trajectory

she has nothing to offer :o = Have you not heard Nick Bollettieri's (Lisicki's coach at the Bollettieri Academy) own asessement of Kvitova's game & abilities - Dr. Lisicki should be very worried indeed :lol:

Lets be realistic here, she isnt gonna improve as much next year as she did this year. Her groundstroke speed and serve speed are averages, she isnt hitting more powerful, she is simply hitting more CONSISTENTLY powerful, thus why her numbers have raised. Kvitova has simply gotten more fit, and gotten more consistent. That is the reason she won a GS this year. Not because she is magically hitting like the men this year. The second her fitness drops (look at her body, she doesnt have a natural atheletic body... she will always have issues with her fitness) she is gonna be in trouble. She mirrors Davenport in more ways than one, and unfortunately her physique/movement are eerily similar to Davenports.

madmax
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Lets be realistic here, she isnt gonna improve as much next year as she did this year. Her groundstroke speed and serve speed are averages, she isnt hitting more powerful, she is simply hitting more CONSISTENTLY powerful, thus why her numbers have raised. Kvitova has simply gotten more fit, and gotten more consistent. That is the reason she won a GS this year. Not because she is magically hitting like the men this year. The second her fitness drops (look at her body, she doesnt have a natural atheletic body... she will always have issues with her fitness) she is gonna be in trouble. She mirrors Davenport in more ways than one, and unfortunately her physique/movement are eerily similar to Davenports.

:worship:
Very good post...most of the shots which she hit against Maria in Wimby somehow landed on the lines or close to the lines, creating an illusion of her being some kind of new age power hitter. Had they gone out, she would be labeled bainless basher just like before. And I generally like Petra's reckless and almost crazy power game, but it is never gonna be as consistent as let's say Maria's for example

Slutiana
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:09 AM
But Soderling hits a lot more topspin than Kvitova too so he is still a lot hitting harder
But yeah Petra hitting almost as fast because hers is so flat!
Petra hits such a huge ball, but Soderling of course still much stronger and hits harder.
Yup, definitely. Though on grass, a flat, low bouncing 80mph FH is in many ways more effective than a heavy topspin 80mph.

Martian Jeza
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:34 AM
power tennis *yummie* Bet that's their only weapon when they know at tactical and technical level they only are average ! Damn it ! Who did care about her 2 years ago ? FFS ! You bunch of FAKE Fans or glory Hunters !

SHe won't be the next big thing ! A slam doesn't make you an all time great !

Excelscior
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:37 AM

You know you've made essentially made the same post, 3x in a row on the same thread today. We get it, we get it. You think her fitness is gonna suffer, and she's going to turn into a fat blob. :bounce:

That's funny, cause Petra is not a big girl, by anybody's standards. She's slim. I grant you, sometimes the outfits she wears makes her look like she has a stomach. But if you see her in jeans and a T shirt, it's just not there or its minimal. She does have a lean, athletic body of a tennis player with a little pouch. Can she tighten it up more? Yes she can (but so can most on the tour her age)!

Unfortunately/fortunately for you, she and her trainer are going back to the mountains to train so she can re-condition her body for the upcoming American hard court season, as soon as her thigh heals. Petra herself and her coaches, frequently mention how dedicated she is to fitness and improving her game in all facets (though I know you don't think she'll improve anymore).

Now if you hope that she gains weight again, and doesn't improve anymore, that's on you. :lol:

But at this stage, Petra is much more athletic than Lindsay Davenport, and can run down and hit shots, from odd positions and angles for clear winners that Lindsay never could. They're not the same pure athlete. Sorry!

And I like Lindsay. But you want/expect Petra to get fat and stagnant, I see? Ok. Lol.

JCTennisFan
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Lol, I dont want her to get fat, that is not the case. I just think she is gonna have potential issues with her fitness. And Watch the match at the US open 09 between Safina and Kvitova... that was NOT her shirt making that bulge. She was simply overweight. I grant you that her foot speed is better than Davenport, but her body is long and somewhat lanky... and the only person ive ever seen built like that who moved well is Venus Williams. I wish the best for her.... I think Kvitova is the best player to crop up since the Serbians did, and she is probably gonna be better than both of them. But to think she is gonna be some Serena 2.0 is a bit ridiculous. She will never be a good mover, which her opponents will begin to exploit shortly.

ArcticMoose
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Very good post...most of the shots which she hit against Maria in Wimby somehow landed on the lines or close to the lines, creating an illusion of her being some kind of new age power hitter. Had they gone out, she would be labeled bainless basher just like before. And I generally like Petra's reckless and almost crazy power game, but it is never gonna be as consistent as let's say Maria's for example

OK, so Maria lost at the FO due to the Wind & now at Wimby due to pure luck of some balls painting the lines (lets call it chance) ..... Li Na & Kvitova were both utterly incompetent oponents ... OK:worship:

Excelscior
Jul 9th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Lol, I dont want her to get fat, that is not the case. I just think she is gonna have potential issues with her fitness. And Watch the match at the US open 09 between Safina and Kvitova... that was NOT her shirt making that bulge. She was simply overweight. I grant you that her foot speed is better than Davenport, but her body is long and somewhat lanky... and the only person ive ever seen built like that who moved well is Venus Williams. I wish the best for her.... I think Kvitova is the best player to crop up since the Serbians did, and she is probably gonna be better than both of them. But to think she is gonna be some Serena 2.0 is a bit ridiculous. She will never be a good mover, which her opponents will begin to exploit shortly.

I'm not talking about Kvitova and any bulges in 2009, I'm talking about Kvitova now. Lol. If she wanna Twinky it up in the future, that's her business. Lol.

You do realize you made a oxymoron? You said that you were worried about Kvitova's weight and fitness, but at the same time described her as "long and somewhat lanky?" Huh? Lol. Don't worry. I think I know what you mean.

As far as her height, I think Kvitova is at the perfect (or at least borderline) height to get the balance of both the smaller and taller player. She's about 6ft 1/2 inch tall. Keep in mind, that she doesn't have to have the athleticism of Serena or Venus, cause she has all the offensive tools, and there's no one on the near horizon with her offensive tools with Serena and Venus athleticism (knock on wood). Probably never will be!? And what does that mean anyway? She beat Venus in 2008, and Gave Serena hell (especially in the 1st tie breaker) last year in the Wimby semi-final. She also played her tough in the Australian back in the day as well (though the score didn't reflect it; but Serena know). So it's obvious she can play with two of the most offensive, athletic women of the past 15 yrs (Serena & Venus), as a youngster, so what you worried about moving ahead?

Yeah, if she was a little taller, she's probably be a little slower and uncoordinated, but she's not (or not yet, if she's still growing)! Now maybe what you meant to say was, "there have been no dominant 6ft + players in women's history (if you don't include Venus as dominant)". All the best players were under 6ft (which is why I said Petra was at the borderline height, and maybe Tracy's IS right and Petra can usher in a new era of power at her height!? Who knows?

I don't think you give Kvitova enough credit for her movement, offense, game planning, and how they affect her defense, though.

She's not as slow as you think. You're just saying this cause she's a six footer, and got a little pouch. But I don't think your actually watching the games, and the balls she runs downs and returns from off the court that look like sure winners from her opponents, that she keeps in play (not including her fine net play and quick reflexes, as well).

Remember, if she didn't meltdown in the French Open, she could of won two majors in a row, as she was kicking Ni La's (a fast player by the way) ass, on that slow clay court that's supposed to expose movement!! The game was in her hands. But (Hey!) that's part of the learning process, and the breaks.

Keep that in mind.

harloo
Jul 9th, 2011, 01:39 AM

Let's see how Kvitova handles the pressure now that she's won Wimbledon before we start claiming she ushering in a new power game. She reminds me of Lindsay, mediocre fitness, clean groundstrokes, little variety, a big serve, average speed, and can be streaky mentally at times. The only difference to between Lindsay and Kvitova is the fact that she's a lefty and has better reflexes.

Stamp Paid
Jul 9th, 2011, 01:40 AM
...but it is never gonna be as consistent as let's say Maria's for example...

JCTennisFan
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I'm not talking about Kvitova and any bulges in 2009, I'm talking about Kvitova now. Lol. If she wanna Twinky it up in the future, that's her business. Lol.

You do realize you made a oxymoron? You said that you were worried about Kvitova's weight and fitness, but at the same time described her as "long and somewhat lanky?" Huh? Lol. Don't worry. I think I know what you mean.

As far as her height, I think Kvitova is at the perfect (or at least borderline) height to get the balance of both the smaller and taller player. She's about 6ft 1/2 inch tall. Keep in mind, that she doesn't have to have the athleticism of Serena or Venus, cause she has all the offensive tools, and there's no one on the near horizon with her offensive tools with Serena and Venus athleticism (knock on wood). Probably never will be. And what does that mean anyway? She beat Venus in 2008, and Gave Serena hell (especially in the 1st tie breaker) last year in the Wimby semi-final. She also played her tough in the Australian back in the day as well (though the score didn't reflect it; but Serena know). So it's obvious she can play with two of the most offensive, athletic women of the past 15 yrs (Serena & Venus), so what you worried about moving ahead?

Yeah, if she was a little taller, she's probably be a little slower and uncoordinated, but she's not (or not yet, if she's still growing)! Now maybe what you meant to say was, "there have been no dominant 6ft + players in women's history (if you don't include Venus as dominant)". All the best players were under 6ft (which is why I said Petra was at the borderline height, and maybe Tracy's IS right and Petra can usher in a new era of power at her height!?

I don't think you give Kvitova enough credit for her movement, offense, game planning, and how they affect her defense.

She's not as slow as you think. You're just saying this cause she's a six footer, and got a little pouch. But I don't think your actually watching the games, and the balls she runs downs and returns from off the court that look like sure winners from her opponents, that she keeps in play.

Remember, if she didn't meltdown in the French Open, she could of won two majors in a row, as she was kicking Ni La's (a fast player by the way) ass, on that slow clay court that's supposed to expose movement!! The game was in her hands. But (Hey!) that's part of the learning process, and the breaks.

Keep that in mind.

Kvitova 2009, Kvitova 2011, it doesnt matter, it is still the same body. Some people are prone to having weight issues, others are not. Since we have SEEN that she can be overweight before it means she COULD potentially have problems in the future. Sharapova has NEVER had a "chub" phase, so we know that her body is, barring something unforeseen, not the type to be prone to weight issues(im comparing them because their bodies are both tall and both have lanky limbs).

You are taking it like Im trying to say something bad about her... Im simply looking at the potential hurdles she will have in her career, and that, to me, is the biggest one. Seles had the same issue, and to a lesser extent Pierce.

Mention one person who was really tall that moved incredibly. The only person I can think of is Venus, and somewhat Graf. Tall with long limbs does not usually equate to "fast mover". Bigger limbs are harder to accelerate, thus making it harder to get that fast "first step". Now if we were talking about running as the sport in question, those limbs would be great. But Tennis is about quickly accelerating, changing direction, balance, and those things are commonly a little more difficult to perform with long, lanky limbs.

Graftard
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:35 AM
Kvitova is the future of tennis. Monstrous power, great serve and variety. Even today all top 10 players are hard pressed to win against her. Imagine what she'll be like in her absolute prime when she's 23-24 years old. It's scary. It's no surprise she acted like it's no big deal when she won Wimby. Because she already knows she's a top dog in the game. It's just a matter of time before she relieves Pushniacki of her #1 rank.

Matt01
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:37 AM

Excelscior
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Kvitova 2009, Kvitova 2011, it doesnt matter, it is still the same body. Some people are prone to having weight issues, others are not. Since we have SEEN that she can be overweight before it means she COULD potentially have problems in the future. Sharapova has NEVER had a "chub" phase, so we know that her body is, barring something unforeseen, not the type to be prone to weight issues(im comparing them because their bodies are both tall and both have lanky limbs).

You are taking it like Im trying to say something bad about her... Im simply looking at the potential hurdles she will have in her career, and that, to me, is the biggest one. Seles had the same issue, and to a lesser extent Pierce.

Mention one person who was really tall that moved incredibly. The only person I can think of is Venus, and somewhat Graf. Tall with long limbs does not usually equate to "fast mover". Bigger limbs are harder to accelerate, thus making it harder to get that fast "first step". Now if we were talking about running as the sport in question, those limbs would be great. But Tennis is about quickly accelerating, changing direction, balance, and those things are commonly a little more difficult to perform with long, lanky limbs.

I don't think you're saying something bad, it just seems to be a overt/unnecessary focus of yours. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but you've repeated the same thing 4x already. We get it! Lol.

Secondly, two years ago, she was 18 and 19 years old. Some young women do have baby fat when they're younger. Kvitova may just have left all that behind (as Martina Navratilova did). We'll see?

In regards to her height. Once again, I say watch the matches. If I thought/noticed she moved like a slug, I would tell you. But I see her movement as more than adequate. Her combination of long legs, reach, excellent hand/eye coordination and quick reflexes, make her a much better defender, (and a player than can turn defense into offense) than you give her credit for. By the way, Steffi Graf is 5'9".

And as far long limbed people's lack of quickness or acceleration, ask Usain Bolt or NBA ball players that? Lol. That's a non-issue with them. Nonetheless, I had already covered that in this and previous responses to you. So we'll just watch Petra keep beating the competition, and you can wonder how she's doing it since she's so tall, slow and soon to be fat?

Let's see what happens? Thanks for the dialogue and chat.

mac47
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Watch the Kvitova matches, especially on clay. Then go find your favorite Davenport match from the year or two when she was in peak condition.

There is no comparison between their movements. Davenport is slow and unwieldy. Petra gets to balls. What's more, her DTL forehand on the run is a fearsome weapon that embarrassed Masha and Vika when they thought they had hit a forcing shot to that corner.

DefyingGravity
Jul 9th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I feel like Petra could, but she just has to get over that plan B issue that so many women are having right now. If she can come up with a solid plan B, incorporate more chances for her to hit less ground strokes and hit traditional volleys, then I think she'll be the complete real deal. All the multiple slam winners (bar Kuznetsova and Maria) have an effective plan B that does not involve just hit the ball harder. Serena, Davenport, Henin, Clijsters, Venus they all have the ability to switch to an aggressive but safe plan B.

Graftard
Jul 9th, 2011, 04:53 AM
I feel like Petra could, but she just has to get over that plan B issue that so many women are having right now. If she can come up with a solid plan B, incorporate more chances for her to hit less ground strokes and hit traditional volleys, then I think she'll be the complete real deal. All the multiple slam winners (bar Kuznetsova and Maria) have an effective plan B that does not involve just hit the ball harder. Serena, Davenport, Henin, Clijsters, Venus they all have the ability to switch to an aggressive but safe plan B.

Lol.... Clijsters has a plan B?

She just grinds from the baseline no matter who she faces. She can't even make a Wimbledon final because she can't even serve properly. Clijsters and variety do not belong in the same sentence.

Petra has a plan B. She won many ugly matches this year. She doesn't just hit hard all the time. She can slice and volley as well. Her DTL forehand is amazing. She has great serve variety. Her groundies off both wings are devastating.

Hilarious how you claim Clijsters, Davenport and Venus have a plan B and Kvitova doesn't.

AcesHigh
Jul 9th, 2011, 05:05 AM

She just grinds from the baseline no matter who she faces. She can't even make a Wimbledon final because she can't even serve properly. Clijsters and variety do not belong in the same sentence.

Petra has a plan B. She won many ugly matches this year. She doesn't just hit hard all the time. She can slice and volley as well. Her DTL forehand is amazing. She has great serve variety. Her groundies off both wings are devastating.

Hilarious how you claim Clijsters, Davenport and Venus have a plan B and Kvitova doesn't.

:sobbing: this post

Slutiana
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Anyway, I can't with this thread. Half the people in here are being delusional as seemingly rating her as the next 18-time slam champ or something, and the other half are being similarly delusional in trying to discredit every part of her game. Mess.

DefyingGravity
Jul 9th, 2011, 12:55 PM

Davenport DOES have a Plan B, mind you. She had the ability to rely more on her transitional game and come in and finish points off at the net if she was getting too inconsistent. Kim grinds, yes, but she can switch from trying to move the ball around the court with aggression and pace to trying to play with a more defensive mind if she realizes she's not going to be able to hit through her opponent. She knows that Radwanska isn't bothered by her pace of shot, and will be playing aggressive, all court tennis, so Kim switches from plan A and aggressive grind to plan B, defensive grind and wait for her shot:

gm5hOGLP_Wk

And Venus DOES have/used to have a plan B which is to grind, which is evident on clay where she isn't as aggressive every single point as she is, let's say, on grass or a fast hard court.

And you're acting like I don't watch Kvitova. Yes, Petra can slice and volley, but she needs to develop a plan B MORE so that she can temper her strokes during those rough patches more. She had no business losing sets to Azarenka and Pironkova with the level she displayed in the first and third sets. Hands down. I'm not saying she needs to change her game completely, but the ability to put more safety on it when they aren't all quite landing in would do a world of good, and that is, essentially, a plan B for someone like her.

She shows a little bit of that by taking the margins of the lines out of play in the Zvonareva match down in Australia towards the end of the second set:

kUTM5FobOtw

She could go more in that direction, and that could suit as a plan B when she's missing the lines. Just another look, no matter how subtle of a change. Look at the first point here; THAT variety could be used MORE and that's a solid plan B. She bought herself time for either a chance at a winner, or (like in this point) the Zvonareva error.

mVoRRs6ua-E

Compare that point to what is so clearly plan A in this entire video, and it's plan A clicking:

7lrDyLDGWnQ

denny5576
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Lets be realistic here, she isnt gonna improve as much next year as she did this year. Her groundstroke speed and serve speed are averages, she isnt hitting more powerful, she is simply hitting more CONSISTENTLY powerful, thus why her numbers have raised. Kvitova has simply gotten more fit, and gotten more consistent. That is the reason she won a GS this year. Not because she is magically hitting like the men this year.
Thank you!
Was thinking I am alone... Your post says I am not...

18majors
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Petra is the definition of power women tennis, no question about it.

TimeyWimey
Jul 9th, 2011, 03:45 PM
anyone paid attention to Petra's net clearance stats? Since I saw the stats in Wimby final, I checked lots of videos I have and took a close look at the replay, surely, she's been able to control the ball extremely well which allows her to find some incredible angle that most people (and audience) won't even think possible, it's more about her accuracy which i think is unrivaled in WTA today, sort of reminds me of the accuracy of Aaron Rodgers

Excelscior
Jul 9th, 2011, 04:01 PM

If Petra didn't have a plan B, she wouldn't of won 4 titles, including a slam and premier mandatory (plus be a finalist in another premier)this year. Where you been?

Petra has learned her Plan B's well this year. Usually when she can't keep the ball in play, she'll slap at the ball more, let up a little, hook it, loop it sometimes or hit with more top spin. She also constructs her points much better off her ground strokes, and will usually yank you around side to side before she hits a winner on you. On defense,while on the run, she'll loop the ball into a corner, giving her more time to set up and transition defensively/offensively (instead of going for outright winners).

You would of saw all that at Eastbourne. Petra would not of been a finalist there, if she did not have a plan B, cause the weather conditions were not conducive to her game. The blustery winds totally took away her great serve and shot making ability many times. She had to be much more selective there. Now, you are right to a degree. Cause if she would of figured out her plan B in the final, in the middle of the first set, instead of the middle of the second quarter, she would of probably won there! So be it! You can't win everything!

As far as her volleying; what matches are you watching? Petra plays aggressive tennis most of the time. Once she gets a weak return, she'll hit a mid court winner/volley or a net winner/volley. Don't compare her net game to what you saw in the finals and semi-finals, cause those games brought up different opportunities. So for Petra (unlike most women on the tour) she's always moving forward, or going to the net, when she can or the opportunity presents itself. Can she do it more, quicker or better, especially while under pressure? Yes/sometimes! But that's one of the things I love about her game (moving forward and net play), compared to other women. But it has nothing to do with a plan B, as she'll always pounce on weak returns and end the points early. Why you think her 1st 4 rounds in Wimby averaged 57 min a game (and the set's she wins throughout the tournament avg like 27 min)?

Just check the tapes.

DefyingGravity
Jul 9th, 2011, 04:08 PM
If Petra didn't have a plan B, she wouldn't of won 4 titles, including a slam and premier mandatory (plus be a finalist in another premier)this year. Where you been?

Petra has learned her Plan B's well this year. Usually when she can't keep the ball in play, she'll slap at the ball more, hook it, loop it sometimes or hit with more top spin. She also constructs her points much better off her ground strokes, and will usually catch you on one side before she hits a winner on you. On defense,while on the run, she's loop the ball into a corner, giving her more time to set up defensively.

Petra would not of been a finalist in Eastbourne, if she did not have a plan B, cause the weather conditions were not conducive to her game, as the wind totally took away her great serve and shot making ability. Now, you are right to a degree. Cause if she would of figured out her plan B in the final, in the middle of the first set, instead of the middle of the second quarter, she would of probably won! So be it!

As far as her vollying; what matches are you watching? Petra plays aggressive tennis most of the time. Once she gets a weak return, she'll hit a mid court winner/volley or a net winner/volley. Don't compare her net game to what you saw in the finals and semi-finals, cause those games brought up different opportunities. So for Petra (unlike most women on the tour) she's always moving forward, or going to the net, when she can or the opportunity presents itself. Can she do it more or better? Yes! But that's one of the things I love about her game (moving forward and net play). But it hasn't nothing to do with a plan B, as she'll always pounce on weak returns and end the points early. Why you think her 1st 4 rounds averaged 57 min?

Just check the tapes.

I do, but look at her titles. She played very well to win all of them. She played excellently in Brisbane and Paris and in Wimbledon. Madrid is the only one that I feel she won based off of playing some kind of off tennis for her caliber.

I would like her to go further with this. I feel like she could do more to her plan B to make it even more effective. Give her self instead of just maybe 10-15% topspin, 20% topspin and keep the same kind of conviction. Just because I said plan B doesn't mean that it's all defense based. You can still attack with a plan B. Someone with her length and depth, even with it tempered in a sort of "plan B" aggression, could come to net even more and take more balls out of the air, especially against better opposition.

Her first 4 rounds averaged 57 minutes because she's a beast and could hit every single one of those players off the court, and you know that. I want her to have this plan B for when she gets up against the big girls and her game is off so that she can buy herself more time to get plan A working again. The great ones can do that, and I feel like she's got the potential to be a great one.

Excelscior
Jul 9th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I do, but look at her titles. She played very well to win all of them. She played excellently in Brisbane and Paris and in Wimbledon. Madrid is the only one that I feel she won based off of playing some kind of off tennis for her caliber.

I would like her to go further with this. I feel like she could do more to her plan B to make it even more effective. Give her self instead of just maybe 10-15% topspin, 20% topspin and keep the same kind of conviction. Just because I said plan B doesn't mean that it's all defense based. You can still attack with a plan B. Someone with her length and depth, even with it tempered in a sort of "plan B" aggression, could come to net even more and take more balls out of the air, especially against better opposition.

Her first 4 rounds averaged 57 minutes because she's a beast and could hit every single one of those players off the court, and you know that. I want her to have this plan B for when she gets up against the big girls and her game is off so that she can buy herself more time to get plan A working again. The great ones can do that, and I feel like she's got the potential to be a great one.

Fair Enough!! Lol

rukw5uk
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I hadn't seen a lot of Kvitova's game until just recently. But her game fascinates me, her demeanour on-court is almost casual to the point of lazy, it's almost as if she is just toying with opponents. Her ball-striking is so calm and effortless, but so so heavy. I was watching her match against Sally Peers in the Australian Open 2011 match, and almost every shot, the ball was landing extremely deep and then sort of skidding up making it hard to deal with. Even her slices seemed to have depth on them.

I think it's just fascinating watching her play, as she doesn't grunt or force shots, she just taps them and they just whizz past her opponents. Ivanovic had the same sort of depth back in 2007/2008, but then kind of lost all that power for some reason.

Another thing I like about Kvitova's game is she's solid, when she has to come in to put away an easy point at the net, you feel like she's safe and she puts away the point very carefully. She's an intelligent player who I can see winning multiple slams.

azinna
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:19 PM

Kvitova hasn't been the epitome of consistency over the past year. And her vastly improved fitness and focused training has enabled her to do what you claimed Pierce could do when fit and grooved. Anyway, it's still very early days for Petra. And her runs in Wimbledon 2010 and 2011 were not more impressive than Pierce's runs in RG '94 and Aussie '95.

Meanwhile, I agree with the following:

shes not taking it to the next level, but she is certainly giving it some much needed boost.

People need to stop overselling Petra's game and let her develop as a player.

Bonfire
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I don't know if she is taking it consistently to the next level yet but I have to say there was one shot she hit in particular in the Wimby final that was amazing. I forget when it happened but Sharapova hit a quick and powerful shot to Kvitova and Petra just nailed it right back but changed the direction on the ball to hit a down the line winner. In that moment, I could see all that was special about Petra. Her power, instincts, reflexes, etc. She was very impressive.

terjw
Jul 9th, 2011, 07:39 PM
No - but she really played well at Wimbledon and she's been doing great this year.

bobito
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:46 PM
One aspect of Kvitova's game that is often overlooked is how well disguised her shots are. Often players are left standing watching the ball go past not just because of her power but also because they couldn't read it. It's a deadly combination.

Also the improvements in her game over the past year are not in the power department: Her slice serve has more a lot more spin on it, her slice backhand and topspin forehand have improved and are being put to better use, she volleys better and she moves a hell of a lot better.

It's easy to focus on her power but there is a lot more to her game than that, which is why players like Sharapova who rely entirely on power will struggle against her.

Apoleb
Jul 14th, 2011, 03:54 PM
It's easy to focus on her power but there is a lot more to her game than that, which is why players like Sharapova who rely entirely on power will struggle against her.

In their last match, Sharapova shanked almost every ball that happened to fall short of her strike zone and low, particularly on her backhand, because she couldn't adjust her double hander. If Steffi Graf was slicing agaisnt her, she would have killed her. OTOH, Kvitova had the versatility to deal with these shots.

Excelscior
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:17 PM
One aspect of Kvitova's game that is often overlooked is how well disguised her shots are. Often players are left standing watching the ball go past not just because of her power but also because they couldn't read it. It's a deadly combination.

Also the improvements in her game over the past year are not in the power department: Her slice serve has more a lot more spin on it, her slice backhand and topspin forehand have improved and are being put to better use, she volleys better and she moves a hell of a lot better.

Hey Bobito.

I have pointed out these things numerous times here (to those that don't watch or know her game, but nonetheless make dumb, untrained statements about her Tennis), and you are one hundred percent correct with everything you said; especially with how well disguised her shots are, movement, slice backhand, anticipation, patience, creative serving and other subtleties!! Spot on man!!

It's not just the power (though she got it)!!

I would of left out the Sharapova criticisms/predictions though (you know "Knock On Wood"/not being cocky). :) :confused: :D Lol.

Good Stuff!

Excelscior
Jul 14th, 2011, 05:29 PM
In their last match, Sharapova shanked almost every ball that happened to fall short of her strike zone and low, particularly on her backhand, because she couldn't adjust her double hander. If Steffi Graf was slicing agaisnt her, she would have killed her. OTOH, Kvitova had the versatility to deal with these shots.

Hey Apoleb.

Good points. Cause Kvitova played several tricky opponents (Vinci, Pironkva, Masha's ground strokes & return, Vika's ROS, Keothavong's speed, Glatch's serve) with no problems against their strengths.

As a matter of fact, anytime Kvitova wasn't rolling, it was because of what she wasn't doing (keeping the ball in play), compared to what her opponent was doing, indeed.

Rainie Conner
Aug 7th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Like, NO!

HeySafZvoneRenka
Aug 7th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I think Petra and Kim are perfect examples of taking power to the next level, not only are they incredible with their shots, but they use power with control in ways ive havent seen in a long time, Lindsay and Mary P. where also perfect examples as well with timing shots and placing them soooooo beautifully, the Williams sisters were too amazing at power and control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also need to add Li Na as well, shes improve dramatically with power, spin and control with depth this year, very impressive so far from her as well!!!!!!!!!!

J4m3ka
Aug 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I think Petra and Kim are perfect examples of taking power to the next level, not only are they incredible with their shots, but they use power with control in ways ive havent seen in a long time, Lindsay and Mary P. where also perfect examples as well with timing shots and placing them soooooo beautifully, the Williams sisters were too amazing at power and control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also need to add Li Na as well, shes improve dramatically with power, spin and control with depth this year, very impressive so far from her as well!!!!!!!!!!

:confused:

BluSthil
Aug 7th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Kvitova has the potential to dominate. She has a power serve to match anyone, and whether or not she takes the power serve to the next level is up to her. I don't think she's there yet. To go along with her powerful serve, she has height, and her movement is very good. She does have some belly fat, and needs to address her conditioning. If she wants to be #1, she ought to talk with the 'Nole' and ask him what it takes to be the best. I don't think the top female players will want to give advice !!!

HeySafZvoneRenka
Aug 7th, 2011, 05:18 PM
:confused:

well i said kim because shes alot like Li Na she absorbs the opponents pace and redirects her opponents' power with her power and hits some amazing shots, plus her serve is also similar to Li Na when it clicks because it has more depth and a tricky bounce to it

Human Nature
Aug 7th, 2011, 05:42 PM

Lol did you see serena in 2002-2003 in term of ballstriing and power there nobody to equal her except maybe Venus in 2000-2003 and Justine in 2007

Kvitova is nowhere near this level lol

Excelscior
Aug 7th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Lol did you see serena in 2002-2003 in term of ballstriing and power there nobody to equal her except maybe Venus in 2000-2003 and Justine in 2007

Kvitova is nowhere near this level lol

Yeah. Ok MJ! Thanks! :wavey: :confused: :lol: :wavey:

justineheninfan
Aug 7th, 2011, 06:41 PM
No I wouldnt go that far at this point.

mykarma
Aug 7th, 2011, 07:03 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

SoBlackAndBlue
Aug 7th, 2011, 07:05 PM

No, they don't. Which is part of the reason all three of them were owned by either Serena or Henin (or both) even during their peaks.

vixter
Aug 7th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Tracy Austin remarked that Kvitova was taking the ball-striking in women's tennis to the next level during the women's final.

With that thought in mind, I watched the final again with my eyes peeled for some revolutionary shots.

Thoughts?

I don't think she is taking anything to the next level yet.

We will see how she will continue to develop.

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 7th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Next level?
Tennis is still waiting on a player to match Venus of '00-01, Serena of '02-03, or Justine of '07.
Meanwhile, Kvitova reminds me of a calm, playing-within-herself Mary Pierce, but from the left. I'll be looking for her to improve her serve and mobility, among other things.

This.

Lindsay's husband is Jon Leach :sobbing:

HeySafZvoneRenka
Aug 7th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Lindsay's husband is Jon Leach :sobbing:

Can Brian Lynch not keep it in his pants?

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j464/fashnuguess/2jb064h.gif

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j464/fashnuguess/dywqdf.gif

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j464/fashnuguess/2vi15x0.gif

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j464/fashnuguess/2llzlgm.gif

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j464/fashnuguess/2gtu8gm.gif

YOU TWO:lol: :hysteric:

azinna
Aug 31st, 2011, 12:09 PM
I guess she's still developing. Or dealing with new pressures post-Wimbledon. Or still on her way to becoming more consistent than Mary Pierce. Still, we'll be keeping a close eye on this Petra. As will all of her opponents, I'm sure.

bandabou
Aug 31st, 2011, 12:21 PM
Oops...:lol:

Sam L
Aug 31st, 2011, 12:24 PM
I guess she's still developing. Or dealing with new pressures post-Wimbledon. Or has yet done little to become more consistent than Mary Pierce. Still, we'll be keeping a close eye on the way Petra handles her game, head and career. As will all her opponents, I'm sure.

I think she's going to be another Pierce but with more success probably. Pierce used to go hot and cold within the same tournament. Petra so far hasn't shown that.

But no. She is not and at this age, I don't think she's going to take power tennis to the next level. But she doesn't need to raise the bar to be successful especially after Serena retires.

The first bar was set by Seles and Serena (with Venus to a lesser extent) took it to the next level where it is right now and will remain for some time I think.

Not my fault
Aug 31st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Next level? Ha. Should be called the last level. Bottom's been reached.

justineheninfan
Aug 31st, 2011, 02:54 PM
I think she's going to be another Pierce but with more success probably. Pierce used to go hot and cold within the same tournament. Petra so far hasn't shown that.

But no. She is not and at this age, I don't think she's going to take power tennis to the next level. But she doesn't need to raise the bar to be successful especially after Serena retires.

The first bar was set by Seles and Serena (with Venus to a lesser extent) took it to the next level where it is right now and will remain for some time I think.

I agree. Serena will be the standard bearer for power tennis for a long time to come.

madmax
Aug 31st, 2011, 03:21 PM
I agree. Serena will be the standard bearer for power tennis for a long time to come.

no she isn't...she was on a defense against Kvitova last year at Wimby all the time and she hits nowhere near as big as Petra

bandabou
Aug 31st, 2011, 04:16 PM
no she isn't...she was on a defense against Kvitova last year at Wimby all the time and she hits nowhere near as big as Petra

:facepalm: PEAK Serena...go watch the tapes from '02-'03 Serena again, before you post foolishness.

tonybotz
Aug 31st, 2011, 05:41 PM
she got lucky on grass. not hard to do. all it takes is brainless ball bashing to the corners. just watch sharapova beat serena in 2004. grass is an anomaly, it favors one-two tennis for the women. it's not a pure surface where the most talented wins.

justineheninfan
Aug 31st, 2011, 10:28 PM

Keeping the ball in court (something Petra struggles with frequently) and being fast enough to keep up with a fellow power players pace of shot is part of power tennis too, not just the extreme power of your own shots. The match you mention was still won in straight sets by Serena, so not exactly a great example.

azinna
Sep 1st, 2011, 01:56 AM
^This cannot be more clearly explained.

madmax
Sep 1st, 2011, 02:01 AM
Keeping the ball in court (something Petra struggles with frequently) and being fast enough to keep up with a fellow power players pace of shot is part of power tennis too, not just the extreme power of your own shots. The match you mention was still won in straight sets by Serena, so not exactly a great example.

I thought we were talking about the weight of the the strokes here, not the overall athletic package? I'm not disputing WS and their ability to retrieve and counterpunch - they made a career out of this thanks to their natural advantage over slower girls. But as far as pure ballstriking goes, they are far from being benchmarks here and only their delusional stans can claim it

Thkmra
Sep 1st, 2011, 02:45 AM
I thought we were talking about the weight of the the strokes here, not the overall athletic package? I'm not disputing WS and their ability to retrieve and counterpunch - they made a career out of this thanks to their natural advantage over slower girls. But as far as pure ballstriking goes, they are far from being benchmarks here and only their delusional stans can claim it

As evert herself has stated: No one til this day hits a bigger ball than Serena when she fully commits, especially off the return..keep trying!!:wavey:

bandabou
Sep 1st, 2011, 05:57 AM

Let me guess: Masha's the standard huh? Well..we all saw how that turned out at Wimbledon. :lol:

laurie
Sep 1st, 2011, 11:56 AM

Consistency is the key, isn't it? If Petra plays like she did at Wimbledon more often than not, then she's unplayable, and in those circumstances she's capable of taking the game to the next level.

But if she plays so in and out as she's done this summer, then clearly she won't. So it's more about how consistent she can become in playing at a high level at least 70% of the time. She's capable of taking the game to the next level if she can become consistent.

Time will tell on that, she has to work hard to make it happen.

marineblue
Sep 1st, 2011, 07:14 PM
No.

Doully
Sep 1st, 2011, 07:23 PM
Watching Serena right now... I can definitely say Kvitova isn't the one that is setting the bar at the moment.

Bayo
Sep 1st, 2011, 08:16 PM
She played God-tennis in that final, which led all these shortsighted commentators to early pearly.

I don't buy it.

azinna
Mar 24th, 2012, 02:30 AM
(quiet bump)

The Witch-king
Mar 24th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Oh how I wish I could have seen Venus outwinner this girl.

RenaSlam.
Mar 24th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Hm.

Jane Lane
Mar 24th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Shade.

binky-GOAT
Mar 24th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Where is Excelscior?

Charlatan
Mar 24th, 2012, 03:53 AM
Where is Excelscior?

:oh: must have been jotting down another long ass essay-like analysis post on a paper (then to type them on this forum)

Tennisation
Mar 24th, 2012, 03:54 AM
She can't be if Venus out winnered her.

Steven.
Mar 24th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Vinas is better than Kvitova in every aspect, except the second serve.

Maddox
Mar 24th, 2012, 04:27 AM
(quiet bump)

:oh:

LUVMIRZA
Mar 24th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I love how Petra fans are brought down to this earth level time after time:lol:

Drimal
Mar 24th, 2012, 07:58 AM
My bold prediction still stands. :angel:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=20653068&postcount=54