PDA

View Full Version : Maria's career slam count will be?

justineheninfan
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:35 PM
The way Maria has recovered her form of late it seems more slam titles are possible. The question though is how many. She currently sits at 3. Will she reach 4, 5, 6, never win another and stay at 3, even go beyond 6. What would your current prediction be.

postalblowfish
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I think she'll get at least one more.

backhandsmash
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:40 PM

I think she will get another one. Let's hope it will be the one that completes the Career Slam.

Craig.
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:42 PM

dsanders06
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:44 PM

This. Another US Open and another Australian.

justineheninfan
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I voted 5. Anything from 4-6 wouldnt surprise me. I think it will be another U.S Open and another Wimbledon. I dont think the French is happening, this year was her best shot by far. Then again there dont seem to be any dominant clay courters emerging so who knows.

Vincey!
Jul 6th, 2011, 05:46 PM
If she plays 3 more years she can get 2 for sure, even 3 but I'd bet on 2 more ;) Hopefully one FO!! But I'd be happy with every other lol :p

Sammo
Jul 6th, 2011, 06:13 PM
4 IMO she'll win one more at one point of her career

Owlboy79
Jul 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I would say 5 is about right, 1 more US Open and 1 more Wimbledon

Stonerpova
Jul 6th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I'd be happy with 4. But she'll be a contender at all four for years to come, so let's see what happens.

Slutiana
Jul 6th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I voted 5. Anything from 4-6 wouldnt surprise me. I think it will be another U.S Open and another Wimbledon. I dont think the French is happening, this year was her best shot by far. Then again there dont seem to be any dominant clay courters emerging so who knows.
Yup.

But, though I'm expecting her serve to improve to a respectable level, unless it improves to the force it was in the early days, I actually think the FO is more likely than Wimbledon.

Mistress of Evil
Jul 6th, 2011, 07:03 PM
most probably will stay as it is now :shrug:

Henpova
Jul 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM
One more...unless she gets her serve under control...then she can win a few more....

It is so sad she had to f*uck up her shoulder...because she could of been in the 5-8 slam range.

tonybotz
Jul 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM
i think she's done. i can see her pregnant and happy in 2 years.

The Reff
Jul 6th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I think there's one more slam in Sharpie

Maria rocks
Jul 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I think she'll get at least one more.

Same Wimbledon 2012 and i will be there to see it:) COME ON MARIA!!:bounce:

18majors
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:50 PM
3 until she wins again.

lang26
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:56 PM
5 or 6

Gdsimmons
Jul 6th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I think she can squeeze out 1 more. Maybe 2.

bandabou
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:00 PM
4 or 5..clock's ticking for her already, but with generation suck as main opponents..should be able to pull off one or two more majors.

Foxy
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Maria will not win another Grand Slam unless she makes it to the finals and plays a much weaker opponent

Think about it, Maria had an easy draw to the finals. Her highest opponent to the finals was ranked at 20 and 24.

I will continue to say that until Venus plays in a regular tournament and beat Na Li, Pironkiva, and Kim Clijsters they will always be placed in her section of the draw to prevent her from getting to a grand slam final.

It was too coincidental that Jelena, Pyronkiva, and all of the people who gives Venus trouble were in her section of the draw. Maria faced opponents who she previously beat and the WTA thought that she would beat them in this tournament, and she did, with the exception of Kvitova.

You can tell that Kvitova has been watching the sisters tapes and how they beat Maria because she executed the same strategy and easily beat Maria in two sets.

The games that Maria did win in the second set was because Kvitova lost her concentration a bit and she didn't hold serve. But other than that, Kvitova didn't breat a sweat beating Screampova.

Then she pulled a Venus and Serena and won the title with an Ace.

But I was actually glad that Kvitova beat Maria because the WTA, MJF, Carillo, Chrissy Pissy, Pam Shriver, MacEnroe and company was trying to make Maria out to be the 9th wonder of the world.

What about Maria's game is an different than it's always been. She had so many double faults that I quit counting. Mariy Carillo was correct when she stated that Maria played horribly all week long and made it to the finals. That's because all of her opponents did not have the power to withstand all of Maria's "BALL BASHING". But Kvitova had the answer for Screampova; she not only out served her, but she out hit her and kept her pinned behind the baseline and ran her from side-to-side and Maria couldn't do anything but get her butt whipped on Center Stage.

After Serena and Venus lost, I didn't care who won just as long as it wasn't Maria Sharapova because they've been trying to make her out to be the leading tennis player since she's been on the WTA.

After Kimmy whipped Maria at the AO, and after Na Li got her at the FO, the WTA was determined not to let another Williams get to the finals because they wanted Maria to win Wimbledon. Why do you think the bookies had her as the favorite.

All of Venus' Nemises were placed in her draw to cause the upset, and they knew Serena was playing horribly and would not make it to the finals. And when the sisters went out they thought that Maria would win it because she had beaten all of the lowerer ranked players who was still in the draw, including Kvitova.

Their little precious Maria still lost because she's not a great player. She never was. Her win over Serena was right after Serena and Venus had that Long injury time out. Maria won all of her other Grand Slams when the sisters, Clijsters, and justine was out on injury with the exception of Maria beating Justine at the USO right after Justine came back from injury.

Like I said the FO and Wimbledon was Maria's best chance to ink out two more grand slams, but the other opponents have learned how to beat Maria because Na Li, Kimmy and especially Venus and Serena have showed them how to beat slow a-zz Maria Screampova.

Root
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:26 PM
You can tell that Kvitova has been watching the sisters tapes and how they beat Maria because she executed the same strategy and easily beat Maria in two sets.

the WTA was determined not to let another Williams get to the finals because they wanted Maria to win Wimbledon. Why do you think the bookies had her as the favorite.

All of Venus' Nemises were placed in her draw to cause the upset, and they knew Serena was playing horribly and would not make it to the finals.

:haha: :haha:

The Reff
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:33 PM
^^ OK that was really - really loud (and long and red) I have to go lie down now

RenaSlam.
Jul 6th, 2011, 09:58 PM
3. Bye, Maria.

Cp6uja
Jul 6th, 2011, 11:35 PM
7+ with just little doubt for me (lets say 60% chances for that), and I'm shocked that I'm only ones who voted that option so far after 50 voters :eek:

Maria Sharapova in last 3 months played career best red clay season (including career best Roland Garros) and 2nd best Wimbledon (reach final without dropping any set) but even her fans is overpessimistic about hers future just because she lost one single match against great supertalented in-form opponent :help:

Here is very useful stats for my statement about Sharapova future GS achievements, who just turn 24 years:
In XXI century there is so far 13 different WTA GS champions. 3 of them is Kvitova and Ivanovic who still not reach 24 and Sharapova who turn 24 just couple months ago, so they are not interesting for this analysis. Out of rest 10 XXI WTA GS champions 6 won more GS titles AFTER 24th birthday than BEFORE, and out of other four Venus (4-3) and Sveta (2-0) is still active and Henin (4-3) before/after 24yo record is damaged by fact that she is forced to retire at 26 (with fake comeback). So I don't see any logic why people here is so sure that Maria which just played careers best Clay+Grass combo season will be exception of this rule (more slam titles since 24 than before, which means at least 7 GS titles in Maria case)!? Especially if we know that general competition on WTA tour in post-Williams&Belgians era will be way weaker than when Sharapova reach previous 3 titles (during Will-BEL era).

This is so typical TF thread... if Maria beat Kvitova I guess 15+ option will lead, but she lose so I'm only out of 50 voters who vote so far 7+ here :help:

doni1212
Jul 6th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Maria is 24. She reiterated recently that she doesn't expect to still be playing tennis at 30. She's about to get married and will want children. My guess is she plays till about 26-27 and then retires. So she has 3 full years left after this year to win slams. That's 12 slams left. My guess is she'll finish with no more than 6. So somewhere between 4-6. I definitely think she'll win another one. All her hardwork, determination, and fight will not be for naught. And she can actually win one HERSELF and not just push every ball back and wait for her opponents to self destruct, :o
She just needs to get her serve together!

GAGAlady
Jul 6th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I cn see her winning 1 more slam...but todays game is changing ever so quickly and all it takes is for her to have another injury setback and she toast....if she stays healthy and commted, one. I certainly dont expect her winning more than that. If she wins more than 1 ill be very very surprised.

Its not easy mentally to win slams and nobody is intimidated by her game anymore...shes got too many weaknesses and ESP her serve is not as good as it used to be.

backhandsmash
Jul 6th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Some of her opponents in the last two slams actually did self destruct.

GAGAlady
Jul 6th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Maria is 24. She reiterated recently that she doesn't expect to still be playing tennis at 30. She's about to get married and will want children. My guess is she plays till about 26-27 and then retires. So she has 3 full years left after this year to win slams. That's 12 slams left. My guess is she'll finish with no more than 6. So somewhere between 4-6. I definitely think she'll win another one. All her hardwork, determination, and fight will not be for naught. And she can actually win one HERSELF and not just push every ball back and wait for her opponents to self destruct, :o
She just needs to get her serve together!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

are you kidding? 6 slams? your too kind...she hasnt won a slam in over 2 years and shes been trying and trying..and you expect her to win 3 in the same amount of time? Sharapova has never won slams that close to one another EVER to begin with...and theres no reason to see that changin any time soon...she has too mny flaws in her game and honestly...shes not as tough as she used to be...

Craig.
Jul 6th, 2011, 11:54 PM
She's playing until 2013 at least. After her loss to Petra:

Q. Would you consider this a baby step in the comeback getting to the final, or is it a big step?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's a big step considering that, as I've said, my results here in the last few years haven't been that good. It's a big step because my game is improving, and it's a big step because it gives me a tremendous amount of confidence going forward.

We still have many tournaments in this year and the next and the following. Uhm, you know, I just want to be a better player and I want to keep working.

homogenius
Jul 6th, 2011, 11:59 PM
7+ with just little doubt for me (lets say 60% chances for that), and I'm shocked that I'm only ones who voted that option so far after 50 voters :eek:

Maria Sharapova in last 3 months played career best red clay season (including career best Roland Garros) and 2nd best Wimbledon (reach final without dropping any set) but even her fans is overpessimistic about hers future just because she lost one single match against great supertalented in-form opponent :help:

Here is very useful stats for my statement about Sharapova future GS achievements, who just turn 24 years:
In XXI century there is so far 13 different WTA GS champions. 3 of them is Kvitova and Ivanovic who still not reach 24 and Sharapova who turn 24 just couple months ago, so they are not interesting for this analysis. Out of rest 10 XXI WTA GS champions 6 won more GS titles AFTER 24th birthday than BEFORE, and out of other four Venus (4-3) and Sveta (2-0) is still active and Henin (4-3) before/after 24yo record is damaged by fact that she is forced to retire at 26 (with fake comeback). So I don't see any logic why people here is so sure that Maria which just played careers best Clay+Grass combo season will be exception of this rule (more slam titles since 24 than before, which means at least 7 GS titles in Maria case)!? Especially if we know that general competition on WTA tour in post-Williams&Belgians era will be way weaker than when Sharapova reach previous 3 titles (during Will-BEL era).

This is so typical TF thread... if Maria beat Kvitova I guess 15+ option will lead, but she lose so I'm only out of 50 voters who vote so far 7+ here :help:

Maybe because her (sane)fans would admit that results are one thing and the level of play is another (and the 2 things are not always linked).She made the most of her draws this year (especially at FO and Wimbledon)and her fighting spirit is back, but game wise her last 2 showing in slams were not impressive at all despite the results (and that's why she could do nothing once she faced a "real" opponent like Na or Petra).She'll need to play better than that to win another slam (let alone 3 or 4 mores).

Malkmus_
Jul 6th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure how long she has left in the game. I think she can definitely win another US Open within the next two years.

Cp6uja
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Maria is 24. She reiterated recently that she doesn't expect to still be playing tennis at 30.
That's 12 slams left.That is actually between 0 and 22 slams (but 22 more likely)... and don't forget that she is world$$$ golden girl of womans sport, so with $20M per season from sponsors contracts I will not be surprised if she finally retire much later after 30th birthday (remember Agassi case), even if in meantime shes been married and gave birth.

Maybe because her (sane)fans would admit that results are one thing and the level of play is another (and the 2 things are not always linked).She made the most of her draws this year (especially at FO and Wimbledon)and her fighting spirit is back, but game wise her last 2 showing in slams were not impressive at all despite the results (and that's why she could do nothing once she faced a "real" opponent like Na or Petra).She'll need to play better than that to win another slam (let alone 3 or 4 mores).Why not to look on that from another perspective: if this level of game is enough to win premier-5 tournament on clay, reach RG-SF and reach Wimbledon final without drop single set, what will happen on hers favorite hardcourt surface, or if she just little bit raise hers level of play?

doni1212
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:14 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

are you kidding? 6 slams? your too kind...she hasnt won a slam in over 2 years and shes been trying and trying..and you expect her to win 3 in the same amount of time? Sharapova has never won slams that close to one another EVER to begin with...and theres no reason to see that changin any time soon...she has too mny flaws in her game and honestly...shes not as tough as she used to be...

All she would have to win is 1 slam a year for the next 3 years or 2 in 1 year, :shrug: And she'll be able to contend for ALL of the majors.
I definitely believe she can do that against most of the younger generation.

That is actually between 0 and 22 slams (but 22 more likely)... and don't forget that she is world$$$ golden girl of womans sport, so with $20M per season from sponsors contracts I will not be surprised if she finally retire much later after 30th birthday, even if in meantime shes been married and gave birth.

I doubt she'll play that long but we'll see...

Graftard
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:21 AM
She will not win another one.

SoBlackAndBlue
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:28 AM
I'll say this: Dementieva's play in her last couple years at the slam was arguably higher than Maria's. And she ran into a roadblock (namely Serena) multiple times. Who's to say the same doesn't happen to Maria? It's not like she was unquestionably the best player in any of the slams this year.

homogenius
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Why not to look on that from another perspective: if this level of game is enough to win premier-5 tournament on clay, reach RG-SF and reach Wimbledon final without drop single set, what will happen on hers favorite hardcourt surface, or if she just little bit raise hers level of play?

She only showed a good enough level in Rome imo (and even there, she was helped by Vika's retirement).She got great draws in Indian Wells and Miami but then got trashed by Woz and Vika, same at the French and Wimbly...I think her ranking is a bit inflated at the moment.Her game is more stable and with the good results she gained some confidence so she's fighting again, but when she'll have to face a real good player in good form this game won't be enough (Petra proved it in the final).
In other words, last year I thought that she'd lose against Woz at the USO.Despite way better results this year, I don't think I'd favor her to get the win this time either if they have to face each other again.For the moment, I think even her A game is not good enough to beat some of the players she'll probably have to beat if she wants to win the USO (or another slam).

lefty24
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:51 AM

ha this post make no sense. The last two years she wasn't trying to win a slam, she was just trying to make the second week and find some decent form.
and please don't count 2009, she was still just coming back from her injury.

And you can say the same thing about Woz, Bepa, Snickers ect. they haven't won a slam ever even though they've been trying and trying why should they expect to win a slam? It's a stupid argument.

Look at Li and Schiavone, it took them very late in their careers to win a slam.
Not only that, but we're talking about someone who has won 3 before.

Tennisstar86
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:57 AM
who knows...really she had no business in that Wimbledon Final....She needs to get her serve together first. I mean with the right draw anyone can slip into a slam though.

Its interesting. Had that been anyone else's draw (except a Clijsters/ Venus/ Serena/ Kuznetsova basically a multi slam champ it wouldnt be a top player it'd be they slipped into a slam final when they shouldnt have..... I think shes got a couple in her though. Maria will never be a force to recon with day in day out on tour again. But I think she can get hot every now and then. and it only takes two weeks. I'm kind of curious how she handles this loss though.....

I mean when she lost to Serena at the Australian she didnt look all that devastated even though she got smacked around.....She looked absolutely crushed by losing to kvitova....

Craig.
Jul 7th, 2011, 01:34 AM
She only showed a good enough level in Rome imo (and even there, she was helped by Vika's retirement).She got great draws in Indian Wells and Miami but then got trashed by Woz and Vika, same at the French and Wimbly...I think her ranking is a bit inflated at the moment.Her game is more stable and with the good results she gained some confidence so she's fighting again, but when she'll have to face a real good player in good form this game won't be enough (Petra proved it in the final).
In other words, last year I thought that she'd lose against Woz at the USO.Despite way better results this year, I don't think I'd favor her to get the win this time either if they have to face each other again.For the moment, I think even her A game is not good enough to beat some of the players she'll probably have to beat if she wants to win the USO (or another slam).

I somewhat agree. She played tremendously well in Rome, and even though her general form is better than last year's, I wouldn't say it's overwhelmingly better as her results this year might make you believe. I just feel like since she's back in the top 10/top 5, she's gotten better draws and instead of drawing the likes of Li in the 4th round, she drew her in the SF of RG :shrug: That said, I do think her overall level is higher than last year though.

Solitaire
Jul 7th, 2011, 01:36 AM

Before the whole shoulder mess I could see that happening but now 7+ is wishful thinking. It really comes down to her serve. It's good enough to beat the vast majority of the tour but when she faces the big girls like Na or Petra it doesn't get the job done. Maria's ground game is still amazing but a lot of the top girls can hit just as hard or harder and with no plan B she's hopeless as was the case in the Wimbledon final.

StoneRose
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:06 AM
One more somewhere. And that would be quite an achievement after the injury. That serve will probably never be what it once was.

Cp6uja
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:43 AM
and with no plan B she's hopeless as was the case in the Wimbledon final.Nobody ever won GS final with plan-B. Kvitova and Na Li is perfect examples of players without useful plan-B (which is very helpful to prevent big upsets vs underdogs when player have bad day and plan-A not works, but for real-deal results you always need yours A-game with plan-A).
I think even her A game is not good enough to beat some of the players she'll probably have to beat if she wants to win the USO (or another slam).Hers A-game was never before enough good to reach in same season red clay tier-I title, RG-SF and Wimbledon final, but she just did it. Between AO/08 and AO/11 she only once reach QF at slams, but things are changed now, and talking about hers 2011 level, she is actually real YEC Race leader with just about 100 points less than Na Li or Kvitova (but Maria played only 8 events and Petra and Na Li 12 both, and Caro played 15 with just one GS SF!). And BTW I not agree that Maria is lucky with 2011 Wimbledon draw at all, because she is in good shape anyway so she don't need such easy opponents. She don't played warm-up grass events this season and without too much resistance till final she is simple not ready for Kvitova peak-level. Petra on other hand has full preparation playing Eastbourne final, played on Wimbledon vs grass specialist Pironkova and more important vs Azarenka which game style is perfect preparation for Sharapova.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 7th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Im susprised many have picked her to not win another slam :eek:
I give her 6 overall.

Steven.
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:00 AM
I'm hoping at least 2.

Solitaire
Jul 7th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Nobody ever won GS final with plan-B. Kvitova and Na Li is perfect examples of players without useful plan-B (which is very helpful to prevent big upsets vs underdogs when player have bad day and plan-A not works, but for real-deal results you always need yours A-game with plan-A).

I find that extremely hard to believe in the history of tennis not one player has won a slam using plan B. You've never seen a GS final in which a losing playing has changed their tactics and won???:confused: In a tennis players career you will have more middle of the road days than great days. That's why it's important for a player to have a plan B. Had Maria hit some loopers, slices, or was able to rely on defense things could have changed in that Wimbledon final. It's basic tennis when you're current tactics aren't working change them.

Pops Maellard
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:01 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say 1 more, but I'd love if she could win 2 or 3 more.

acetoace
Jul 7th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Maria will not win another Grand Slam unless she makes it to the finals and plays a much weaker opponent

Think about it, Maria had an easy draw to the finals. Her highest opponent to the finals was ranked at 20 and 24.

I will continue to say that until Venus plays in a regular tournament and beat Na Li, Pironkiva, and Kim Clijsters they will always be placed in her section of the draw to prevent her from getting to a grand slam final.

It was too coincidental that Jelena, Pyronkiva, and all of the people who gives Venus trouble were in her section of the draw. Maria faced opponents who she previously beat and the WTA thought that she would beat them in this tournament, and she did, with the exception of Kvitova.

The games that Maria did win in the second set was because Kvitova lost her concentration a bit and she didn't hold serve. But other than that, Kvitova didn't breat a sweat beating Screampova.

Then she pulled a Venus and Serena and won the title with an Ace.

But I was actually glad that Kvitova beat Maria because the WTA, MJF, Carillo, Chrissy Pissy, Pam Shriver, MacEnroe and company was trying to make Maria out to be the 9th wonder of the world.

What about Maria's game is an different than it's always been. She had so many double faults that I quit counting. Mariy Carillo was correct when she stated that Maria played horribly all week long and made it to the finals. That's because all of her opponents did not have the power to withstand all of Maria's "BALL BASHING". But Kvitova had the answer for Screampova; she not only out served her, but she out hit her and kept her pinned behind the baseline and ran her from side-to-side and Maria couldn't do anything but get her butt whipped on Center Stage.

After Serena and Venus lost, I didn't care who won just as long as it wasn't Maria Sharapova because they've been trying to make her out to be the leading tennis player since she's been on the WTA.

After Kimmy whipped Maria at the AO, and after Na Li got her at the FO, the WTA was determined not to let another Williams get to the finals because they wanted Maria to win Wimbledon. Why do you think the bookies had her as the favorite.

All of Venus' Nemises were placed in her draw to cause the upset, and they knew Serena was playing horribly and would not make it to the finals. And when the sisters went out they thought that Maria would win it because she had beaten all of the lowerer ranked players who was still in the draw, including Kvitova.

Their little precious Maria still lost because she's not a great player. She never was. Her win over Serena was right after Serena and Venus had that Long injury time out. Maria won all of her other Grand Slams when the sisters, Clijsters, and justine was out on injury with the exception of Maria beating Justine at the USO right after Justine came back from injury.

Like I said the FO and Wimbledon was Maria's best chance to ink out two more grand slams, but the other opponents have learned how to beat Maria because Na Li, Kimmy and especially Venus and Serena have showed them how to beat slow a-zz Maria Screampova.

Very well said...

Maria is done winning slams. It would be hard for many to admit to but if you're the kind who pays attention to trajectory of how players win slams, it shouldn't be difficult to see that sharapova has indeed been lucky to pull those 3 slams off. She never was a player who wins multiple slams in a season (never actually wins every season), never defended any she won and seems to always win when players that can beat her are either injured, not playing for whatever reason or just returned from injury and still working up their form. The last 2 slams were also the same except she FAILED to win despite the cupcake draws set up for her to win...... a very strong indication the whole make-belief plan is crumbling.

IMO, it would take a miracle for her to win a slam again. Her luck ran out already. She can hang around like Davenport did hoping over hope to win one more. We would see flashes here and there (before she quits to marry and have kids) but not anything to win her a slam.

With the return of the WS and Clijsters who are looking to commence the campaign to the closing chapters of their respective careers, it's clear that luck won't be coming maria's way anytime soon. The sisters will be around till end of 2013 when maria would be 26+. With Kvitova's victory, the young guns have seen the light IMHO. Going forward, watch how Kvitova, Vika and Caro will take it to sharapova. Pironkova is gonna make some noise too. Li Na is still determined to win more. These players have the ability to beat maria anyday and are not afraid of her.....not in the least!

In sum, no matter how the WTA, MJF, Carillo, Chrissy Pissy, Pam Shriver, MacEnroe, Drisdale and company try to pump maria up in the media in effort to make her out to be what she isn't, the agenda will fail because they all look like fools each time maria's results on the court FAILS to match the hyping in the media.:rolleyes:

Cp6uja
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I find that extremely hard to believe in the history of tennis not one player has won a slam using plan B. You've never seen a GS final in which a losing playing has changed their tactics and won???:confused: In a tennis players career you will have more middle of the road days than great days. That's why it's important for a player to have a plan B. Had Maria hit some loopers, slices, or was able to rely on defense things could have changed in that Wimbledon final. It's basic tennis when you're current tactics aren't working change them.Plan-B is not how You will use and combine things which You do very well (it's tactics and game plan), but how You will manage to use things which You usually not do often, or when You is forced for some reason to not use some of yours trademark shots. Its pointless to blame plan-B because lose against hyper-aggressive power-player like Petra Kvitova which trying to finish every point as soon as possible in just 2-3 shots (what do You expect of Maria, to play serve-volley game!?). It's not like she playing against Wozniacki so have in every point several opportunities to make different decisions.

For me crucial thing which Maria should to blame for this lose is hers 2nd serve. She put 76% (48 of 63) 1st serves in, but on 2nd serve only 60% (9 of 15) and in semifinal vs Lisicki also about 40% of all 2nd serves is DF's (13 of 34) so this is obviously for Maria some kind of bizarre reality. On other hand hers return game works perfectly on this tournament, even in final. Kvitova played till final 14 sets and was broken just 4 times, but Maria managed to broke her 3 times in 2 sets. Azarenka, Pironkova, Vinci, Keothavong and Glatch managed to win at least 40% pts on 2nd serve vs Kvitova, but Maria only 27% thanks to DF's. Average serve speed on Maria 2nd serve is 10MPs slower than 1st, so only logical explanation why she put IN more % of 1st serves than of 2nd is that she needs to works on hers 2nd serve and there is big area for improvement, because when You put in Grand Slam SF and Final 20 double faults out of 50 2nd serves its just pathetic (and in Paris SF vs Na Li almost 50% of all Maria 2nd serves are DF's!). But for player with ability to put constantly around 70% 1st serves IN, its just question of time when this monster 2nd serve DF problem will be fixed.

doomsday
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:19 AM
WS fans and their hatred towards Maria :lol: it will never END :lol:

vozas
Jul 7th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I think she'll win one more time at both the USO and Australia.

SAEKeithSerena
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:26 PM

bandabou
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:28 PM
WS fans and their hatred towards Maria :lol: it will never END :lol:

:lol: Nahhh, never was anything to hate. Maria's been left soooooo well behind right now, just watching to see if she can surpass Linds and keep pace with Clijsters.

Used to be compared to and hailed as the new Serena, but...:lol:

borrowedheaven
Jul 7th, 2011, 12:31 PM
She's definitely able to win another one, but if she keeps playing like she does now, she's going to need a lot of luck.

SymphonyX
Jul 8th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Realistically 4, since the cosmos are destined to align for Masha gurl at another grand slam at least once more. But for the forseeable future, she'll be stuck with her 3 slams from yesteryear.

I once loved a Russian. But ever since she got beat up by some fat, leftie hooker from the what's left of Czechoslovakia I dumped her.

Serval
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:16 PM
She'll win two more.

thrust
Jul 8th, 2011, 04:55 PM
3, most likely

goldenlox
Jul 8th, 2011, 11:35 PM
:lol: Nahhh, never was anything to hate. Maria's been left soooooo well behind right now, just watching to see if she can surpass Linds and keep pace with Clijsters.

Used to be compared to and hailed as the new Serena, but...:lol:Lansdorp, who also trained Lindsay, believed that Maria was going to take #1, and this was around 2002-3
And Maria left the 2008 AO looking like she might be a 10+ slam winner. She had 3 at 20 & looked great in that major.
But things changed with that injury.

She still might go forward another step, and start winning majors again.
I wouldnt close the door just yet. Not when Schiavone & Li are winning majors.

DragonFlame
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Right now i just don't think she's good enough to win a slam, let alone a slamfinal. She's just not ready yet to be back there. Unfortunatly the draw completely fell apart and that's why she made it through, if lisicki hadn't such a rediculous serving day Li Na would have been in the final. It's a shame she couldn't finish it, the final rounds of Wimbledon would have been much more interesting then.

Adal
Jul 9th, 2011, 11:34 AM
She will end up with 3 unless a miracle happens.

Craig.
Jul 9th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Right now i just don't think she's good enough to win a slam, let alone a slamfinal. She's just not ready yet to be back there. Unfortunatly the draw completely fell apart and that's why she made it through, if lisicki hadn't such a rediculous serving day Li Na would have been in the final. It's a shame she couldn't finish it, the final rounds of Wimbledon would have been much more interesting then.

You and Li Na in every single one of your posts :facepalm:

Vee Williams
Jul 11th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Sharapova will have opportunities (like she did at Wimbledon). The question is whether she will take them. She won three slams in an era in which she was not among the top three or four women of the tour (Venus, Serena, Kim, Justine). Now that these women are either retired, injured or returning from injuries, and considering the current state of women's tennis, there should be more chances for her to take advantage of.

wally1
Jul 11th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Kvitova played till final 14 sets and was broken just 4 times, but Maria managed to broke her 3 times in 2 sets.Indeed, this fact seems to be strangely overlooked. I only saw Sharapova's last 3 matches at Wimby but I thought her ground game was in very good shape indeed, it was just her disaster of a 2nd serve that let her down badly. If (big if I know) she can really get her serve under control, I could see her winning a couple more majors at least...

dsanders06
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Bump. :lick:

Break My Rapture
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I think she will at least reach 5, so at least one more. This win should reinstall the confidence she had before the surgery when it came to slams back in her.

dsanders06
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:50 PM
5 atleast is surely guaranteed I would think. She is WAY too good on slow hardcourts not to atleast get another Australian.

vozas
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I think between 5 and 7. She'll definitely win the AO again and has a good shot at an additional RG. Maybe an USO if she gets her head around it? Don't think she'll ever win Wimbledon again.

dsanders06
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I think between 5 and 7. Another AO and another RG and maybe an USO if she gets her head around it. Don't think she'll ever win Wimbledon again.

I would've said that too a few weeks ago, but, looking back, after her last two Slam wins she was AWFULLY good at keeping up winning streaks for a couple of months afterwards and riding that confidence-boost for all it's worth....

TheDream
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I think she wants another Wimbledon more than anything though. I don't think she's winning anymore fast court slams though. So, 5 or 6.

abesky
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:56 PM
She's got a good 5-7 years in her to win another 3 slams for a total of 7. I would say she will win RG 2-3 more times, and then win Wimbledon 2 more times. I don't think she will US and AO because of the fast surfaces but I could be wrong. In the end, she will definitely have at least 7 slams left in her. Mark my words.

TheDream
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I would've said that too a few weeks ago, but, looking back, after her last two Slam wins she was AWFULLY good at keeping up winning streaks for a couple of months afterwards and riding that confidence-boost for all it's worth....

She's going to have to beat some combo of Serena, Venus and Kvitova this year to win it. Unlikely. Even Sjodgren's Venus would show up for a match against Maria at Wimbledon.

Steven.
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:57 PM
it's funny how the drought made it seem like Maria's 4th slam was so far away, but now with her one win here in Paris makes 6 very possible.

vozas
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:59 PM
She's got a good 5-7 years in her to win another 3 slams for a total of 7. I would say she will win RG 2-3 more times, and then win Wimbledon 2 more times. I don't think she will US and AO because of the fast surfaces but I could be wrong. In the end, she will definitely have at least 7 slams left in her. Mark my words.

The AO is arguably her best slam and her best surface (slow, rubbery hardcourts). If she's winning another slam, it'll definitely be that one.

doomsday
Jun 9th, 2012, 05:59 PM
She reached 3 GS finals in what? 7 months i really believe she can win at least 6 or 7.:lol:

cn ireland
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I think she'll win 7 or more:D!!!

NashaMasha
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:01 PM
step by step........ Now 4 , but she will fight to win fifth

Stonerpova
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I think she will at least reach 5, so at least one more. This win should reinstall the confidence she had before the surgery when it came to slams back in her.

That's what I'm thinking too. Plus the way she said "I have so much left in me" after winning today makes me believe she'll go on to win more. The US Open will definitely be the hardest one to win followed by Wimbledon (Serena and Kvitova are both big asks there). I think she's got another Australian and maybe even another French title in her, so probably somewhere around 5-7 :shrug: But like I said before, it's all gravy now. She could end her career with 4 and I would be 100% okay with it.

justineheninfan
Jun 9th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Well I picked 5 when I made this poll. It could end up being 5 still, but she has a good shot to go past 5 by the time she retires.

sweetadri06
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:10 PM
An educated guess, 5 or 6. If she really goes on a run than 7 before she retires which i think will be well before she turns 30.

doujyr
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:16 PM
i don't know about well before. when you read what she said in her post-match interview she could easily have packed it in when she got injured but carried on for the love of the game. maybe she could wake up one morning and think f*** this, but now she's back on track and winning i can see her going on till 30 easily (health permitting)

dsanders06
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:18 PM
""It's been a long journey. I started from such a young age, but I'm not done yet, far from it," said the Russian. "

:inlove:

The Dawntreader
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:19 PM
""It's been a long journey. I started from such a young age, but I'm not done yet, far from it," said the Russian. "

:inlove:

Let's hope it's not another four years between titles then.

madmax
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:31 PM
7 slams is a bare miminum for a player of her talent and ability...I think she will dominate the tour for the next couple of years and will finish her career with 9-11 slams in total( 2 or 3 RGs, AOs and at least one more Wimby and US Open too). It all depends on her motivation and will to succeed

18majors
Jun 9th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Maria will win 50% of the slams she enters in the next 2-3 years if she is healthy, therefore it's a question of whether she is healthy or when she will retire. I would say 7 or more.